Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Repossession Stories and Questions

Comments

• otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Well sure! Rentals in Orlando are dirt cheap..................

The same car in La. or NYC or Syracuse is prob. $50 a DAY!
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I worked for a repo company for a month while I was bored and waiting for a new temp assignment to start. I went into work each day, parked my car behind their fence, picked up a Nextel and a beater Cavalier, and went to go find cars. I found some cars. Got some people to give theirs up. Located others but couldn't retrieve them. And then there were the two fun stories.

We got a repo order for a Bentley Continental GT. Now the liability insurance only covers vehicles up to $80K, so this was way out of our range but we tried it anyway. Pulled up to the guy's house with 2 tow trucks and my Cavalier spotter car. He gave up a Bentley, but it was NOT the car we wanted. WE gave it back before leaving the neighborhood and the homeowner let us know where we could find the other Bentley. We go down to this other town and pick up the other Bentley. My boss hops in and starts driving it back to our shop. The guy's wife comes out screaming and hops in a Corvette to give chase. Six cop cars, a helicopter, many miles at 120mph+ later, we got the Bentley to our shop. It went to auction four days later. The guy's wife went to jail.

Another cute story, one late night I'm checking a few extra addresses looking for some cars, and I spot one at the debtor's mother's house. '06 Grand Prix sitting at the top of a driveway, about four feet behind a Chrysler 300M. Our self-loading truck had JUST enough room to hook it up and chain it down. About the time we're attaching the safety straps, the car owners come out and hop in their cars. The debtor tried to drive the car off of the tow truck and succeeded in pulling the rear bumper of the Grand Prix clean off, but it was still attached to our truck. She kept saying, "you're not taking my car!!!", but we already had possession. She got out at one point to stand between her car and our truck so we couldn't drive away, sitting on the chain, pregnant and barefoot and all. So I sat down in the car and locked the doors. Keys in the ignition and as soon as she moved I was able to put it in neutral and ride down the driveway backwards. I lowered a window so the tow truck driver could tell me something and forgot to put the window back up. The lady reached in and unlocked the door, crawled in, scratched the heck out of my arm trying to get the key out of the ignition and put the car in park but I held the shifter in neutral and waited for the police while she scratched at my sleeve and screamed in my ear. The cops calmed her down, we let her grab a few things out of the car, and we went back to our shop with it. Her uncle and brother and mother and sister all standing there yelling at us. She said she had made an EFT payment for $500 so they'd take it out of repo status. They had taken it out for a few days but it was back in repo status as of that night because she did not make the second $500 payment she agreed to make after 7 days. As you may have guessed, that car went to auction as well. The bumper reattached with some careful bending of clips and a little rubber mallet. Looked like new when we hauled it to ADESA.

One more before I go, I was assigned a VERY old address to check on a certain ES300 Lexus. This was given to the company before Thanksgiving. It was sitting right where the guy's apartment was in that complex he allegedly moved away from. His roommate had lied to one of our other employees and we thought to check it one last time. And there it was. We dragged it out, front tires screaming out of the parking garage. He didn't come out until after we took it to the street, turned around, and loaded it the other way. Tow truck pulling away, he comes and yells at me for not letting him get his wallet. Too bad.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    yells at me for not letting him get his wallet. Too bad.

How does that work legally? You took his property. I suppose you could argue that he had a reasonable expectation that the car would be repossessed and had ample opportunity to remove it. But wouldn't you be obliged to return it to him on the spot since he asked for it to be returned?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Would seem if you're pulling off with someones vehicle, they don't know who you are, legally they can shoot to kill.

Really? When you are under no threat of bodily harm, you can take someone else's life for stealing?

Not saying you are wrong.. but, that doesn't seem right... In Texas, maybe.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Why not just knock on the door and tell him you are repoing the car? If he starts to become belligerent just call the cops. Would seem if you're pulling off with someones vehicle, they don't know who you are, legally they can shoot to kill. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    legally they can shoot to kill

Thats exactly why you don't knock on the door and tell them what you are doing. Repo'ing cars is dangerous stuff and you want in and out with no confrontation.

When your car gets to the repo lot they inventory everything in the car and give you notification that you have you have 30 days to pick it up.

Its not like these jokers don't know they are in status. They receive phone calls and letters stating just that and have ample opportunities to make the account right. The last thing a bank wants to do is repo a car.
    The last thing a bank wants to do is repo a car.

The last thing they want is to go through costly and time consuming legal proceedings. Repossession is a relatively easy route for them to take because it is expedient and minimizes the bank's risk by transferring liability to the repo guy's bonding agent.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    In Texas, maybe

Yes... in Texas. A few other states I can't recall. In Texas if a neighbor asks you to keep an eye on his property while away, law gives you the right to shoot to kill to protect neighbors property.

If robber/thief is in your house, unless they are nude and passed out, I would think it rational to think this person is a threat... and use whatever force you have at hand to eliminate this threat. Somebody driving off with your car, I wouldn't shoot them... but a lot of people out there that would. I don't think you'd be whacked (right off the bat) if you knocked on someones door and said you were repo'ing their car. If they say no you're not, or pull a piece, walk away and call the cops.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I think the repo business is pretty dangerous, the way it is now...

I think doing it your way would be downright suicidal.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Here in Lexington, KY last summer a guy was shot several times and killed when he was driving away with a car. It was his first repo attempt. Car was from a BHPH lot.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...legally they can shoot to kill..."

Wow! Remind me never to walk through your neighborhood. You must live in Texas or one of those other third world countries.

People can get pretty wild when you try to take their wheels. A few months ago near me a repo man was towing some fella's car and having had enough to drink that he thought he was James Bond, he jumped on the tow truck and got run over, dead.

I'm not sure I would ask pretty please to a guy like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Once attached to the tow truck, possession is ours. We don't have to let anyone in the car after it's chained up. We do sometimes, *if* they ask nicely and we're still taking our pictures and filling out paperwork. But this guy didn't come running outside until the tow truck was driving away and turning the corner. I was driving a Cavalier, not the tow truck, and I'm not going to ask the driver to come back and let the guy root through the car. Tow truck driver would have told me to stuff it. Our wallet-less friend can do like everyone else and come to the shop and get his stuff. I think 60 days before it goes in the dumpster.

I remember another car we popped, had the guy's wallet in it, we took it from his workplace. He got outside and couldn't find the car, he went back into work and called his lender, they told him to come get his stuff from our shop, too.

And one more story before I go to bed, I was told one day to get my tail to the shop to pick up a key. I go get this key and our other spotter gets on the radio and tells me where to go. He and I followed this Yukon for 20 minutes waiting for the right time. At one point he pulled into a fast food joint and went through the drive-thru. I pulled across the street into a large gas station and pretended to pump gas. As I was doing that, the debtor pulled into the same gas station and went inside, leaving his truck running. The other spotter guy, parked at the fast food place, ran across the street to me, grabbed my key in case the doors were locked, quickly checked the VIN number of the GMC, hopped in, and committed legal grand theft auto. The other spotter had his wife, who was riding with him, drive his spotter car back to the shop behind him and me. The debtor comes running out of the gas station but we were already on the highway and gone. He called the police of course. One cruiser made a very fast U-turn but did not give chase. My police scanner told the story, as he called into dispatch to say he found the stolen Yukon on the highway, the dispatcher told him it was a repossession and not to engage.

Very exciting stuff, and I suppose I was lucky not to get shot at, but I drove cabs for a few years in this town and never got shot either. Go figure.
    the dispatcher told him it was a repossession and not to engage.

That means that you coordinate with the police? I'm sure that avoids a lot of potential "misunderstandings" that might not be very pleasant! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "...but I drove cabs for a few years..."

Repo man, cab driver...who are you Batman? You might just have what it takes to be a school bus driver. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• wesleygwesleyg Member Posts: 164
    In my department, the repo companies always called us to inform that they were working a repo, what kind of car, what neighborhood etc. This avoided a great deal of stress on all concerned, and reduced the danger a great deal.

As far as taking a shot at the supposed auto thief, whether it's a repo or a real auto theft, in Ohio you do that and you're going to be spending a lot of bunk time in prison.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    or at least forget about having a low interest rate....

I had a "buddy" that I worked with that had several issues. He had a new F-150 base model regular cab and was paying over 600 a month for it. He told me his interest rate was in the high teens.

At amy rate, I am surprised it was taken after only 1 missed payment. I thought the only places that did that were BHPH places.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I know if you have a car re-po'ed and the car is sold at auction you are still on the hook for the difference of the original loan and the auction price. Is there a way to find out how much the dealer (Chrysler) sold the car for? My friend's car was re-po'ed two years ago and Chrysler is trying to get the full amount of the loan ($26,000) even though the car was sold at auction. Any help is appreciated.
    No help here, other than it sounds like your friend is getting screwed.
    "...Chrysler is trying to get the full amount of the loan (26000)..."

Are you saying that your friend owed $26K, Chrysler took back the car, sold it for let's say, $16K and now still wants the full $26K? That doesn't sound legal.

Have your friend contact Chrysler and ask them to justify trying to make all the extra money. Eventually if they take him to court to recover any money they will have to provide figures of how much they sold the car for and why he still owes so much.

You say the car was re-po'ed two years ago, why haven't they taken him to court already?

Thanks oldfarmer. I'm sketchy on the details and wondered the same thing about this not going to court already.

I will have him call Chrysler and ask what is the justification for them wanting the full $26k.

Thanks again.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Well, add the repo fees to the difference and if the loan is still 'active' then they may be charging healthy interest and even late fees on the balance. This could be the ugly side of compounding. Just a guess.
  • bulenbulen Member Posts: 1
    Maybe someone can help me out with this? I sold a truck that they haven't made a payment on in over a month and I'd like to know how to get it back legally cause the truck is still completely in my name.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Need a helluva lot more info.

I assume this was your personal vehicle (ie, you are not a salesperson)?
    What do you mean you "sold it" and "they haven't made a payment"? If they haven't given you any money, then I don't think you technically sold it ... you lent it to them.
    Do you know the person? Was it someone you trusted?
    If you have no payment and the title is still in your name, then it is stolen and you could report it as such. Or you could just ask for it back.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When you "sold" the truck, did you have a written contract or was it just a handshake deal? You need to have established clear terms for default and if it's not in writing then you just made your life more complicated.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "...they haven't made a payment on in over a month..."

I'm assuming they made some payments and then stopped, right. If they took it without any money changing hands it is indeed theft, call the cops.

If they just stopped making payments you might try small claims court. Even if your proof is shaky the court may order the other party to return it.

You say the truck is still completely in your name. Are you paying for the insurance? Has the title been transferred to the new owner? You could be looking at a heap of trouble if the title has not been switched and there is no insurance.

What ever you do, don't sit on this. I hate to think some yahoo has an accident in "your" truck and the injured party comes looking for you. :sick:

I wonder what happened with the truck since the OP never answered any of our questions.

Maybe he and his buddies did a "baseball bat repo" on the owner. :(

• garydc5garydc5 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 acura rsx type-s,i got it for my 18th birthday
    back in 06.It seemed my problem started back in May of
    2008 when i gave Honda finance $3000 as a payment and
    i figured that i wouldnt have to give them any payment for
    about 10 months since my lease agreement is $298 a month
    for 3years.My lease is up in Feb09 and i wanted to keep the
    car,but my biggest problem is that i am on workers comp
    because i broke my leg in September and i just got some
    compensation yesterday(friday) and i wired money to honda
    thru westunion yesterday because it was the last day,the rep
    said if i gave 1 month that they wouldnt take the car and
    i guess it was to late because they took the car last nite,well
    i gave it up peacefully to them.They said my account is backed
    from Aug08,i have to call the recovery dept on Monday.I am not
    going to lie but i had about 3 late payments before this.Do u
    think i have to pay them in full before i get my car back or even give it back,
    i probably owe them about $620 for Sep-Oct08.Is it true that i have to do all
    my paywork over again and neg payment options?
    Yea, I'll bet you have to get current with all your back payments before they give the car back. I'd bet there are fees related to the repo too.

Whatever you do, don't just give the car back. If you have a lease I'm pretty sure you will be required to make ALL the payments even if you return the car to the dealer. You just can't walk away from a lease. Even if you die, they will still come looking for the money.

Good luck.

• motherofonemotherofone Member Posts: 1
    my son was in repo and now he is in jail for an accident that killed a man for trying to repo a truck,how would i go about getting some repo drivers to testify in court about how these repos can turn into a tradgety?
    While you're waiting for a reply here, you may want to have a look at this article which spells out some of the dangers repo men face.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    If a repo guy got killed "for trying to repo a truck" then it was not an accident.
    Accidents don't happen for doing something.
    If I push you for trying to take something, especially something that doesn't belong to you in the first place, you fall and die - that's not an accident, that's murder.
  • mylandscapermylandscaper Member Posts: 2
    Ok so my girlfriend co signed for one of my trucks but otherwise she has nothing to do with it. I am behind trying to catvh up and have been working with finance company and they said they cant stop repo till im caught up. BUT the repo guy keeps going into my girlfriends work and asking here where the truck is. she workd for a doctors office and besided the embarassment she is going to gety in trouble. We have told them over and over she has nothing to do with it beside her signing and to talk to me but they have shown up 4 times in 2 monthes. Can they keep going into her building and office????
    That sounds like harassment. You need to contact your state's attorney general.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I'm no lawyer, but I think when she co-signed she accepted the same responsibilities as you. Especially having to pay for the truck. That's what co-signing is all about.

Now coming into her work - that's a question for the state consumer laws.
  • floridian2floridian2 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my car Repoed and my question is. Is the repo man allowed to break in to get to the vehicle?
  • mylandscapermylandscaper Member Posts: 2
    ok I know what co sign is and yes she is responsible for it as I am and we are trying to pay the vehicle not to be some [non-permissible content removed] dead beat. just fell on hard times, we are both working.

But I did talk to the finance company today and according to them once they are told not to come into work they are not allowed and she told the same guy that 3 times but basically they said that a different agent can come in and then she has to tell that agent one time and so on and so on. which is bullsht if you ask me. we are two honest people that have answered our phones for them and paid as much as we could even more sometimes and tried to deal with it. Me or her losing our jobs certinaly wont help

And as I informed them if they continue to do this I will take legal action and be a prick like them. And I have never called them when they come into her work in fact just the oppisite I have ignored them and only when they came into her work did I do this beacause as I told then once they get a reaction out of me becasue they came there they will continue to do that just to get me to take more action or at least they think I will. Oh and by the way this finance company is Chase auto and as I walked into 7 dealers in 2 days trying to trade the truck in 5 of the 7 sighed ahhhh nooo as sooon as they heard the word Chase according to them they are one of the few NOT working with there customers in this time of economic disaster..

So if anyone has any other info please let em know Thank you
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    My guess is that they will "pop" that car the first chance they get. These guys are good at their jobs. You will go outside and it'll be gone.

Have you talked to Chase? If you can work somthing out it may benefit both of you.

A Voluntary Repossession will look a lot better on your credit report then if they have to physically take it. You may want to consider that.
    "...Is the repo man allowed to break in to get to the vehicle?..."

I don't believe so. I assume you're talking about breaking into you garage or other secure location.

I would check with the police. They can tell you what repo is allowed to do in your state.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Breaking into private property is one thing. Breaking into the car is quite another. In that case they are working on behalf of an owner of the car - in this case Chase.

A friend's daughter had he car repo'd. She spent her money on things other than car payments and one night at 2 in the morning the tow truck showed up and took it. The only way to get it back was to pay for it IN FULL. My friend had to bail out her daughter, buy the car outright and have her pay back. To the daughter's credit she did pay it all once mom was the finance company.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    My guess is the repo company is doing everything within their rights. Watching the repo shows on TV, these guys (and girls) know what they are allowed to do and not do. Legal action is just wasting money you don't have.

Not unless you cna convince Chase to re-structure your loan, I would consider isell's option. Banks aren't really looking out for consumers.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    The Repo shows on TV are fake and reenactments.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    What??? Are you trying to tell me that "reality TV"... isn't?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    They were trying to break it to you gently....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    The Repo shows on TV are fake and reenactments.

Even the episode where they rolled the BMW that was on the hook, with the cameraman inside?

;)

Hard to believe that was staged.
    "..."reality TV"...isn't?..."

Except for The Real World and Bigbrother. Those are totally real. ;)

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    And "The Hills" that is totally real too.
    Repo is about the worst. They should get professional actors, as the staged performances look like something out of a high school play.
    Could be but I saw one episode where the buffed guy hopped over the fence to retrieve a car. he was arrested for trespassing. It could have been staged but the owner of the company seem to know he was wrong and did not object to the arrest once he found out what the guy did.

My point is repo companies know what they are allowed to do and not do. In this case, I imagine the repo company is acting within the letter of the law and not necessarily the intent of the law. Instead of complaining about their tactics and Chase, the OP needs to take a long look in the mirror and get this thing resolved. He not only has ruined his credit but now his girlfriend's credit. he needs to call Chase and set up a firm repayment plan and stick to it. If not, turn the truck in. That will end the visits to her work.
  • dhamlettdhamlett Member Posts: 1
    I hate American Honda Financial:
    My car will be paid for in 5 months, September 2010. I've been out of work twice in the past 18 months, for a 4 month total span. I've explained to AHF that I've been out of work and that I would pay them what I owed but to please be patient with me. The last conversation took place on 4/16 and I told them I would make payment for the 2 months I was behind on the 4/30, they said okay and it is documented. I'm living week to week, like many Americans, and I need a car to work. On 4/21, they repossessed my car.

I will never buy another Honda, my 3 sons will never buy a Honda, and if I have any influence before I die, my grandchildren will never buy a Honda.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Sorry about your situation,but it`s totally your fault here. Not Honda`s. Any carmaker in that situation would have done the same thing. You are in a contract with the carmaker---you pay monthly. You dont--they can repo the car.. As clear as that .

Sorry,but not Honda`s fault that you lost your job or are living paycheck to paycheck.