Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    A dealer located 150 miles from me has a 2009 Optima SX 4-cylinder "demo" with 5,300 miles on it for $15,995. It has never been titled, so it is technically a NEW car and will be covered by the fully warranty including the 10yr/100k Powertrain Warranty. It's Midnight Gray, which I like, but it doesn't have any options. The sticker price was $21,815.

Most of the SXs I've seen have the Convenience Package (Automatic Climate Control, rear window sunshade, heated seats, power passenger seat) and Premium Package (Infinity 6CD audio system, SIRIUS and Power Moonroof). While I would kinda like Moonroof, I think I can live without either package. I'm thinking about offering $15k OTD for it....any input???

Note- the $15k out-the-door price wouldn't include sales tax because the car is located outside of the state where I live. I will still have to pay Georgia sales tax on $15k when I register the car within 30 days of purchase.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    That's $5 less than I paid in January 07 for a new 07 LX with after market leather and the appearance package. BTW-- since I have a nail in one of my 215x50x17 Michelins, I kind of wish I'd saved a thousand or so and cut the appearance package, although I like the instrumentation much better.

Obviously you're getting a better sound, seating and climate system with the EX, but you're also getting a car that"s two model years older (within a month or so), will soon be outdated by a spectacular new car, and has 5000 miles on it. Also, 5300 miles is a bit high for a demonstrator.

I haven't priced the Edmunds calculator, and I know the cost of used cars has risen quite a bit lately, but I think you're at least $1500 too high.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I agree, waaaaaaay too much!
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    Any one purchased new Optima. Looking for feedback and buying experience. I am planning to get new car as my 2001 Sonata getting old.
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Best price I've found so far on a 2011 Ex 2.4 auto with prem pkg is 23, 955. That is straight invoice according to true car. I'm a snowbird and searched both areas I live in. Fla has virtually no rules on doc fees. Pa has limits. The one in Pa only charges 129 in doc fees. I'm taking that quote with me to the Florida dealer who wants 700 in doc fees. If they can beat it, I'll buy it down here.
    I spoke too soon. And I doubt I'll be jumping on anything right away. I looked at their ad in the paper today. They're dealing better than I said. I think I'll wait till the demand wanes a bit and look at other models as well. I haven't even driven one yet. But the specs and videos look great. The car looks to be a good fit for what I need a car for.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    truecar shows $200 - $225 below invoice around Georgia for all models. We get to deal with lots of $599 doc fees though. Best dealer price I found has 'only' $300 doc fee which nets $100 over invoice all said and done.
    Finally got to drive an LX today. It was all they had. Great riding car. Looks better in person. I didn't think that was possible. And it was fast. I'll end up getting an EX, prem. But not in a hurry. Wish the EX came with cloth seats. I could care less about leather. But can't get the roof in the LX. Stupid.
  • adiaz2331adiaz2331 Member Posts: 15
    I got my EX w/ Premium Package for 22,800. Loving the car every minute, don't need the turbo, the manual mode is plenty fast. This is coming from a guy who owned a G8 GT. I drove the Sonata turbo just to get a feel for it, and this is comparable enough to be not worth the extra money. MSRP on my car was 25,440. Metal Bronze with Beige Leather. Drives like a dream.
  • irishblessingirishblessing Member Posts: 4
    Was this 22,800 before taxes & fees? If so what was your OTD price? What state and dealership did you deal with. Appreciate your help as we're shopping for same car.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Got a quote for a new 2011 KIA Optima EX with no extra options for $21,215 plus TTL. Is this a good deal or is there more room for negotiation? Thanks.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    A good price is a few hundred below invoice.
    If you don't mind an EX with no options, might as well get an LX.
  • topochichotopochicho Member Posts: 6
    The dealer told me the 12k rates were .00006 and 53%, but his explanation calculating 15k seemed really odd, subtract %1 and add the cost of the difference in miles to the lease... so that would be 9k miles * %0.15 per mile.

So are my 12k rates correct and what are the actual 15k rates?
  • sharpshewtersharpshewter Member Posts: 7
    EX has leather installed. Premium comes with panoramic sun roof and wood trim.
  • purellpurell Member Posts: 7
    How much are lease prices on EX models w/ $1500 down, 12k miles?

On the ex w/ tech package and ex turbo. msrp is 27/29k

I just want to get a feel for the lease prices on this car.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    EX has leather, dual zone auto temp w/rear vents, autodim rvm with compass, proximity key/pushbutton start, heated mirrors, fog lights, a couple of other trinkets.
    I like the cloth seats, but I also like dual zone, heated mirrors, compass, fog lights.
    Surprisingly, I really liked the proximity key the first time I tried it. I thougt it was a useless gadget, but it grew on my quickly.
    About $1900 difference in sticker for the LX vs. EX with no toys.
  • 2011optimasx2011optimasx Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my 2011 Corsa Blue Optima SX from Wyoming Valley Kia/Subarau on Saturday 3/19.

Car stickered at $28,975 with Premium Package, Floor mats & Cargo Net. Dealer Discount was $1,985 & I qualified for Competitive Rebate of $500.

Bottom line selling price was $26,490.
    Tax: $1,589.40
    Doc Fees, PA Tags & Tire Tax: $217.65
    Total Paid: $28,257.05

My sales person at Wyoming Valley Motors made the entire process so easy. The dealers in Pittsburgh couldn't find me a Corsa Blue SX without Navigation, so I searched dealer websites for one until i found this one in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 5 hours away. (They actually had 7 SX's!) I sent an email asking about the car. They replied promptly it was still on the lot & when I wanted to come drive it. I verified optional equipment on my next email. On my third I asked for a price. I had the price in about 5-10 minutes of receiving his first response to my inquiry. No high pressure. They held the car til i was off on saturday with a minimal deposit. Though I did not trade my Toyota in, they were spot on where other dealers were giving me for my trade.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Congrats on the new car and thanks for posting a very informative "price paid". I wish more people would provide the details you gave.
  • doinalright2doinalright2 Member Posts: 3
    I am in NC and looking at an Optima SX with the premium package, wheel locks, cargo net and cargo tray. The sticker is 29,000. I do not qualify for any rebates.

I am offering $26,600 + NC 3% tax and tags.

Any information, ideas? Thank you!
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I just called Wyoming Valley about an SX, was your salesmans name Ron? Said he just sold one. Anyway thanks for posting this!
  • 2011optimasx2011optimasx Member Posts: 4
    yes, and the whole process was very easy. Couldn't have asked for it to be any simpler.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Nice! Wished I lived in N.C. Please let us know if the dealer agreed to your $26.6K offer.
    Just bought one in Red from Ron. Perfect experience. Simple and painless, which is especially good since I'm coming from NJ. They were able to give me a great price on my trade and get me set up for plates and everything.

28,580 for the SX fully loaded plus tax and tags. Threw in the Ipod cable for me too.
  • billh730billh730 Member Posts: 1
    can i have the name of the dealer
  • anandamayadasanandamayadas Member Posts: 2
    Thought my experience might help. I am a traveling salesman, and after putting 188K on a 2003 Saab 9-3, which I really like, it was time for a change. I wanted better gas mileage, since gas is now $4.05 in my town, and a car that could still handle reasonably well. I wanted a manual transmission and liked the Optima since seeing it at the 2010 S.F. Auto Show. Mostly, manual transmissions are only offered on base models with many manufacturers, including on the Optima. I am O.K. with a non-turbo, relatively simple car with few frills (by current standards) because there are fewer components to break. I can also add my own alloys, pop-up sunroof, cc, intake and exhaust later to suit my own taste. After looking at 3 Optimas, driving 2 and putting an offer on 1 in No. Ca., which was refused, I felt that I was not being taken seriously. While travelling in SoCal, I saw an ad in the L.A. Times for an '11 LX, MSRP $19975, for only $15,995 at Kia Depot in Santa Ana. I went there the next day and test drove both a Suzuki Kizashi at one dealership and the Optima in Santa Ana. Although the Suzuki had a superior chassis & handling, I felt that the Kia had it beat in most other respects. I qualified for 2 of the 3 $500 rebates, the competitive & Kia Motors Finance, which brought the total to $16495. But the car had 2 extra dealer-installed options, tinting & an alarm upgrade, not disclosed in the L.A. Times, which brought the total to $17385 + tax, license & doc. Not quite the rippin' deal of the ad, but not bad. I was O.K. with the tinting, which was already on the car, but didn't especially want the alarm system. While working out the deal with the finance manager, Jorge Tejeda, I saw that I could refuse the alarm system. I said that I didn't want it, but he said that if I didn't take it, the deal was off. I thought about it for a moment and realized that it was the dealer attempting to get back some $ on this "loss leader," although I knew that the dealer didn't have that much into the tinting & alarm. But I decided that the deal was still solid enough, so I signed on and pick up the car tomorrow, and am looking forward to it. The salesman, Wade O'Loughlin was very patient. We test drove the car twice and he walked me through the contract while I was making sure it was correct; it was. Although I was coming back later to pick up the vehicle, Wade was adamant in following CA Law, which requires that a buyer take immediate possession of the vehicle, by having me literally drive it off the lot, then back on for storage. I contacted Wade again a couple of days ago to make sure that the vehicle did not have the "left pull" syndrome found on some Optimas. He made sure the service department rechecked the alignment and test drove it again, and assured me that it had no "left pull" issues. He also generously agreed to pick me up at LAX when flying in to pick up the car. I can recommend this dealer and salesman, but always be sure you know exactly what you want, or are willing to accept, when dealing with a dealer.
    Sorry just saw this now. Ron from Wyoming Valley Kia.
    Good choice. If you're going to get one of these, get an LX. But not sure why you'd even 'talk' to a finance guy at a stealership. Did they give you simple interest on the loan? I'd like to hear how you like the car in future months.
  • anandamayadasanandamayadas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, snowallergy,
    The salesman said it was simple interest. I'm not too concerned because I primarily took out the loan to get the Kia Finance $500 credit, and I expect to pay the loan off in 2 or 3 months. Then I'll take off the collision/comp and go back to running liability & uninsured/underinsured only. The upgraded alarm might come in handy without collision/comp because they will pay for the vehicle if stolen. Anyway, drove it home today; have over 450 miles on it already. Some things are superior to the Saab, some things not. The synchros are excellent, red illumination on stereo, not so great, and since I cannot see the steering wheel buttons at all, except for phone button, I had to memorize all the buttons today. That is truly a design defect, IMO, but rather easily rectified.
  • chicagojoechicagojoe Member Posts: 14
    I researched this car for the past 6 months and have been following this forum and others. I have never owned a Kia or Hyundai - so this was new ground for me. Previous cars included Honda Accords, Civics, Nissan Maxima and an Acura TL. I had a 2004 TL and I remember when I got it saying to myself "Wow, this same car from anyone else would have been 10K more".

Guess what? I am saying the same thing right now - and a TL would be 10K more! The Optima is amazing with all of it's features!! Many of the things it has are not even available for any car in this price range. (Bluetooth streaming audio, heated rear seats, cooled front seats, etc..)

I had two concerns going in to this purchase - the "left pull" issue and the "hard seats". I am satisfied with both of these right now. No left pull - and the seats are just fine. I mean come on - this is a car - not a recliner.

Warranty - 10/100,000 power train and 5/50,000 bumper to bumper is great.

The car is hard to find - equipped the way you want it and in the right color / wheels. I spent about 3 weeks looking at dealers within 100 miles of my house. The good news - the EXACT car I wanted showed up at my local dealer. The bad news - when I asked for the price they wanted $3,000 over sticker. Come on - I thought the industry was past that. I would think the Kia dealers would all be pumped up that they had a hot car - and new customers! I will never visit this dealer again.

The even better news for me - the car I wanted got traded to the dealer I bought it from. That dealer made a great deal with me - and we did it all via e-mail. I got a buyers order sent to me via e-mail and when I arrived in person - there were no games. It was nearly painless. The dealer was about 90 minutes from my house - in Rockford, IL. It was well worth the drive.

I managed to get $1,000 in Kia rebates and the 1.9 % financing.

5 days into the new car - and I am loving it!
  • kingdomsakingdomsa Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking for an Optima EX w/ prem package for $22,000 - including incentives but not including tax title and licensing. I can go anywhere in the USA to buy it. Think I have a chance?

Also - a couple of you mentioned a $500 financing incentive. Is this still on? I can't find it listed on Edmunds or Kia's sites.
    "I had two concerns going in to this purchase - the "left pull" issue and the "hard seats". I am satisfied with both of these right now. No left pull - and the seats are just fine. I mean come on - this is a car - not a recliner. "

Actually, it's a new car. It should be more comfortable than my 10 YO car. It's not. As for the left pull, killed in action has issued a TSB on that.
    Congrats on the new car Chicagojoe! Glad to hear you found what you wanted. I had two dealers try the thousands over invoice thing on me too.

Enjoy the car.
  • dmbfn41dmbfn41 Member Posts: 8
    ChicagoJoe,

What was your final price before TTL?

Thanks
    FYI. Watched Motor Week last night on PBS and they did a complete review of the Optima, specifically the SX loaded. They did a 6.4 to 60 and averaged something like 27 mpg during their combined test.
  • chicagojoechicagojoe Member Posts: 14
    My deal -
    MSRP - $31,070 (Cargo mat, net, wheel locks, bumper applique)
    My Price - $28,891
    Kia Rebate - $1,000 (Competitive and KIA Finance)
    Trade in equity - $98 (turned in a lease)
    Tax, tag, doc - $1,448
    TOTAL - OTD -- $29,231
  • cliffbreakerscliffbreakers Member Posts: 1
    The $500 Financing is until 5-2-11 so not much time left I also got a $500 because we owned a 2000 Intrepid and they offer it for some other cars so ask about that. Good luck I love my Kia Optima Lx I just purchased it two days ago In Elgin IL (Rosen Dealership) and Sales persons name is Adrian was very pleasant person and gave me great Deal
  • trs900trs900 Member Posts: 19
    Found a Pearl White with MSRP of $24,770 whats the best price anyone has paid not counting taxes-plate, I am located in South East Florida
    When I bought my car they had an EX with no options for about 22,900.00 on the lot. Not sure if that included any discounts or not. I'd shoot for low 22k's.
  • emerthoremerthor Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    I was thinking an EX with no options was around $23,190 MSRP? Anyway, you can get one in Missouri for 21,800 +ttl
    edited May 2011
    Just did deal yesterday on a new 2011 EX base model MSRP $23,345--- Tax-transfer of plate and all fees included in deal--Sales tax rate 6% here in 33414 with no incentives-trades, or rebates applied, a cash deal with no dealer financing, also they let us put $17,000 on credit card as we receive points etc..
    Another dealer called today and I told him they beat his price by $2000 he said they didn't make any money on this deal and maybe lost some.. said he could not match it
    Another dealer called today and I told him they beat his price by $2000 he said they didn't make any money on this deal and maybe lost some.. said he could not match it

Either your dealer is going out of business selling a very hot car at a loss(hardly) or the dealer that called you is lying. Guess which one is correct.
  • mick0016mick0016 Member Posts: 6
    I've been calling around the dealerships in Michigan and nobody will sell for under MSRP. The dealers making it sound like the Kia Optima is the reincarnation of the Viper launch and is the only company in the US that still has cars available after the Tsunami. At this point, I'd rather wait until the 2012's show up in September (hopefully with UVO), rather than pay full price for a car.

Anybody else having issues finding Optimas at a reasonable price?
  • jn10jn10 Member Posts: 9
    I'm in SE Florida and I'm getting the same responses....matter of fact I probably went to that same dealer as mentioned above. The combination of low inventory, marketing/hype of the car and the pricing is creating this scenario for buyers that obviously could be much better. It's like a hot toy your kid wants for Xmas that every store is sold out of.

I'm finding it impossible to get the color/package I want at a fair price. Same goes for the Sonata. Not to mention dealer responses and approach is terrible, many places don't even respond in a timely manner. I'm somewhat in the same boat...almost seems I should wait till the 2012s. Is September a concrete timeline for that?
  • mick0016mick0016 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    That September time frame for 2012 was just an estimate based on my discussion with the dealer. I don't think they know for sure at this point.

I've had better luck finding the Sonata Turbo's up here and getting a price under MSRP, but frankly, I don't like looks of the Sonata as much as the Optima and the option packages on the Sonata aren't great (i.e. you can't get the SE with all leather or heated seats). The Sonata's I have found are in colors I don't like with interiors I can't stand (wine color for example).

I'll probably just stick it out until the availability is better. I refuse to pay MSRP or more for something that I should be able to get for a grand or two less. I might just start looking at a Mazda 6 Grand Touring or a Ford Fusion V6 AWD for the same price.
  • jn10jn10 Member Posts: 9
    Yeah you can't get the Sonata SE with leather which bothered me, however you can get the Turbo Limited with leather, however you give up the Sport suspension with it.

I like both cars and it would likely come down to which turbo I found first in my color scheme with options, and best price. Seems that Kia, although cheaper, isnt dealing as well as Hyundai is. I am hoping the forecast is greater for both, because I'm with you, I am not paying MSRP.
    I walked in and ask the manager if he wanted to sell a car right now as I was paying cash and had only a few minutes to do a deal, he said sure but needed a salesman to get him a stock # on the car I wanted, once he did that salesman came to me with an otd price of $26,500 I said thanks but another dealer had quoted me $23,450 OTD and got up saying I didn't have a lot of time and had to go he said wait what did I want to buy car for I said $23,450 OTD he went to manager and came back with $23,950 which was actually better than I had been quoted, I said no thanks and got up, he kept telling what a great deal it was, I said I would give him 1 more chance at $23,500 and that was my final offer, we both went to manager and he said this was a loosing deal for him, I said when I came in to dealership I knew I couldn't buy a car from them and said thanks, he took a couple of minutes then said he would call my bluff as I had not given them any money or check with offer.. I told him he just sold a car.. I really did not care if they took my offer or not as we already had 2 cars.. Sometimes the best way to buy is just have a check made out to dealer for the amount you want to pay and show it to manager, they might accept or not but as least they know your not a tire kicker. The business manager wasn't to happy when we did not get any extended warranty or financing, he was actually visibly upset.. I have been buying cars for over 40 years and the best way is cut to the chase know what you want to pay and don't budge on price unless you really low ball them
    Dealer was on Military Trail just north of Forest Hill Blvd.. not the nicest place for sure
  • herrhybridherrhybrid Member Posts: 1
    I ran into the same issue north of Boston in March. Dealer had loaded EX models I wanted (non turbo) but was asking way too much for me. Getting fair trade value on my 2006 Infiniti M35X (62k miles) also was challenging. I loved the Infiniti but only got 20.2 mpg on 89+ fuel. Also drove and like the Hyundai Sonata. Wound up buying a loaded Ford Fusion hybrid for $31,200 w/ 18k in trade for Infiniti. Cars were nearly the same size (Fusion trunk smaller w/ batteries) and I was very impressed with the Ford. May miss all wheel drive in winter but the Ford handles well and the switch between gas and electric engine is very quiet/smooth. Have driven the Fusion over 1500 miles and the average MPG is 45.4! I fill the tank (with 87 octane!) once a month and it lasts for nearly 750 miles. I miss driving fast but to more than double my mileage has been great.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited May 2011
    Dealt with the local Hyundai dealer near you back in late '08 when looking for an Accent for one of our kids. Just from my couple of phone calls with them & their reluctance to be honest about their inventory left a bad taste, as I live in the Lauderdale area and didn't want to drive up there for nothing...similar gas situation as now. Luckily, the local guy across the street was so much better to work with that we went with them instead. Also, twice they've had some kind of sweepstakes in their ads for a free car, but when I've clicked in, it's just to save money when purchasing the car. Is this a normal kind of contest?

A real slimy experience but am happy that we ended up with a positive buying experience with the local store. :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)