Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    nice, pretty cool.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    The 70s vintage Matchbox catch my eye anyway. I still have one of my old Lesney M1s, that I got when I was maybe 8 or so.
    I spotted that yellow M1 as well. I had a silver one.

Mine is silver too. I just dug it out, here it is as it looks today

One thing I would do to these cars when the silver wheel paint faded off would be to repaint the wheels, as you can see. This car has a lot of miles on it.
    Cool, brings back memories... i had same one but i think mine had red/orange racing stripes on it as well.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Here's a picture of an Aurora BMW slot car similar to the one my brother had back in 1980.

Oddly enough, the other car in the racetrack set was a Pontiac Trans Am.
    Mine had a black stripe on the lower body IIRC, but that's probably been worn off for 20 years now.

Just found a pic of what it looked like when new...I remember it now:

I remember I only had one slot car set when I was growing up. I remember one of the cars was a Ferrari, I forget the other. I don't think that set lasted too long under hard use :blush:
    ...I remember:

Are you sure that's a tootsietoy? It looks to be tinplate rather than their pot-metal. Did tootsie make other styles of cars?
    Believe it or not, it is a Tootsietoy - made in Chicago. Here's a Cadillac made by Tootsietoy in a similar paint scheme:

...of a Cadillac - the type of cars of which Tootsietoy is better known:

That Caddy is a diecast pot metal too, right? The MB isn't....I find that car to be very odd. Maybe it was made under license of the brand name or something. I don't recall ever seeing a tinplate Tootsietoy.

Interesting pic you bring up there. Around 1960 Tootsie brought out a line of more detailed Matchbox-sized cars to compete with the British makers. These were meant to be more detailed than their simple little cast metal cars. This effort was a flop, but survivors remain. I have one of these, a Caddy 62 much like the larger model above. It is maybe 1:65 scale:

And speaking of Matchbox BMWs, here's one I remember very well, and I am sure Boomchek does too. This model of an E30 Baur cabrio was made in many paint variants.

The BMW E30 Baur looks more like a Rabbit pickup than a BMW lol.

But I do remember and I even have a red one that I picked up at a flea market a few years ago.,

...here's a Gama 528i I purchased back in 1984!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    I've got that one as well as the "Notarzt" and "Feuerwehr" versions. I ran an E28 535is from 1990 to 1992 and it is one of my all-time favorite BMWs:

Last I heard the car was on its fourth owner and at 310K it finally needed a head gasket...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That red E28 is one of the nicest if not the nicest one I've seen.

That red E28 is one of the nicest if not the nicest one I've seen.

That one is identical to mine except that I had fitted E34 alloys in lieu of those gorgeous-and uber expensive-three piece BBS wheels.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That really is an amazing looking example, reminds me of a red M5.

I'm pretty sure a diecast model of a W210 E55 is about the hardest thing to find relative to the performance of the car and hype when new...none made when new that I know of, nothing now that I know of. Fujimi made a 1:24 kit of a pre-facelift model, that's it.
    Matchbox made and probably still do a version of your Benz, although I'm not sure it's an E55 version.

I happen to have one from about 2002 same color as yuor E55, but I think with a Nasa signage on it?

Oh yeah their 210 sedan...I don't think it was an E55, but I guess it could be made into one, esp if one could fabricate the body cladding.

They made a 208 CLK convertible based on that model too, the convertible actually turned out decently.
    ...to the one picture below, but it is a much nicer dark gray w/o the graphics:

That's the one, yeah, a first gen W210. With a lot of superdetailing and some mods it could be made into something.
    I have the CLK convertible as well in dark green. Looks quite nice actually.

Yep it turned out pretty well, even the split-spoke wheels are somewhat good looking on it

lol that's exactly what I have!!! I do like the details and this is one of my favorite recent matchbox

I turned out pretty well...they even have the tonneau cover details. I could see my mom in an older CLK.

Hot Wheels made a W124 wagon, it looks worse in person, at least the one I have

The proportions and wheels suggest some kind of pedal car. Never seen one with such a low-slung roof. I imagine the roof needs to be removed for even a child to pedal the car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yep, collectible, but not in the way most of y'all seem to like 'em. Call it a weekend diversion.
  • alldattalldatt Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for any type of collectables for the new NBC series Knight Rider. :confuse: I'm interested in anything with the star car, Shelby GT-500KR. Looking for various scales of this car in regular & attack mode. Contact me at bwfenech@hotmail.com
    I doubt there is anything connected to the show yet, but if it is a success, look for stuff maybe around Christmas. I am sure plans already exist, and Chinese sweatshops can be retooled very quickly.
  • writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    I passed through a Walmart last week and there were some new '57 Corvettes in 1/18 and 1/24. I think they were Maisto. Very nice looking. There was a '57 Thunderbird too. Also, a '57 Chev convertable. Somebody likes '57. Maybe Heinz Ketsup too.
    :-)
    I think Maisto makes decent models for the price. The quality is fairly good if you're not a picky collector.

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    The quality is fairly good if you're not a picky collector.

Perhaps, but their quality and level of detail borders on unacceptable for those of us who are choosy.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I'm not a fan of them simply because their third world cost/wage structure ran first world Bburago into the ground.

Most Bburago models were also pretty flawed in the small details, but back in the day I really liked them anyway.
    Picked up two Matchbox cars at the Fall Carlisle meet today: a 1969 Cadillac Sedan DeVille and a 1963 Cadillac hearse.
    I noticed a decent looking Matchbox of a first-gen Cougar on an endcap at a grocery store...I looked at the card and saw they mentioned the Caddy too, but they didn't have one there. I've noticed some decent looking Matchbox models in this new series.
  • writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    Over the past couple of years I have been noticing a couple of new brands around -- both at Walmart, but also other stores. One is NewRay and the other is "Signature Models".

NewRay is producing sort of 1/2 diecast stuff of varying middle range quality. I bought a kit of an early Dodge Challenger in 1/32 that turned out ok. At that time there were not many good Challengers around that size, and I did not want anything bigger. In fact, I was hoping for a 1/43.

Signature Models (http://www.signature-models.com/) seem to be producing a much higher quality product, but I expect that there are some plastic pieces in them too. The prices are quite low. I have not actually seen one outside its box yet, but parts fit and accuracy look really good. They are making 1/32 and 1/18 scales, and some really unusual selections, like the "1938 Buick convertable", the "1933 Pierce Silver Arrow" and a "1947 Delahaye 135M".

Walmart has been selling the 1/32 cars around $9.00 Cdn, and the 1/18 cars around $30.00 Cdn. Look for some interesting features on these models as well, like center hinges on the hoods of the 1930 range cars.
    These look kind of fun:

Case Equipment scale models
    I like the small Dodge Ram van. Everything opens in it too. And you probably can't buy one from any other model maker. Maybe it was commissioned by Case.

Well, it's different....

Currently on sale for ~$75 at Amazon.
    I got sidetracked with a Lego website with listings of old sets.... brought back some nice memories.

Not long ago Lego reissued some of the 80s Legoland sets. I miss my Legos, I don't have many left. I like some of the modern detailed building sets like the cafe linked on that Amazon Beetle ad, but they are too expensive.

Lego attempts at actual cars always look odd. That Beetle looks like a 30s KdF prototype.

When I was 9 or 10 I had a Technic go-kart that I thought was pretty awesome.
    I was browsing through the Technic stuff at a Lego fan site called brickset.com

I had this one:

But I really wanted this one:

It had an internal combustion engine with moving pistons, a gearbox, and a working suspension.

I think that go-kart is the one I had too. I remember that steering assembly...which seems amusingly simple and primitive now, to my young eyes it was very complex and I was shocked I could build such a thing.

I was always much more into creating buildings, and that was my only Technic set.
    I have two of these:

Nice, I have a large Megablocks one that I got as a gift.