Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    That's very impressive detailing for a 24th scale car.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Unbelieveable!!

link title
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Wow... just wow! :surprise:
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    That's neat!

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Around here it would be easier, just through 1200 Hot Wheels in a pile :shades: :sick:
    I saw this line of unusual models in a German catalog...I think there's a few here for Lemko, maybe some others

I also saw that Norev has a very nice looking 1:18 560 SEL and a very nice W140 , along with a W110 Universal that might tempt me sometime.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    OH MY GOD! Look what they have!!! The details are a bit off, but I've been looking for one of these forever!

Looks like I'm going to be out $79.99 plus shipping and taxes!
    Pricey, but as you say, who else makes one? Same for the bustleback and older Seville and the 70s Buick there...they will sell a few based on that alone.

Tomica made a Fleetwood, but a 70s model.

The Norev 560 SEL looks pretty awesome from some angles (not so good from others)

The closest thing I could find as a replica of my car was a limousine made by Majorette many years ago and a black 1984 Presidential limo - both of which I have. I also have a rather shabby example of a Hotwheels bustleback Seville and an extremely crude 1990s STS somebody gave me made by an unknown manufacturer.
    I remember the Majorette limo, I had a couple of those when I was a kid - fairly crude but cheap. Tomica/Tomy also made a bustleback, I had one when I was little too. For Caddy of that era there was also a Matchbox and Majorette Allante.

I'm pretty lucky in that there are now plenty of fintail models and several other MB that I like, but anything of a W210 E55 AMG is still pretty much not there.
    I also have a silver-gray 2000 Cadillac DTS in about 1:18 scale which is the closest I can find to my 2007 model. I think Maisto made it. I'll have to look.
    It's about time there was some interest here in good 1/18 scale cars. I've been collecting them for years, mostly sports and racing cars. My most recent acquistion
    is this little jewel from Auto Art>

I have a handful of 1:18 cars and like some of them, but they take a lot of room and I like vintage diecast a lot more. I just bought a local collection of pre-1960 MIB Matchbox, not the cheapest thing but I still scored a deal and have more cars than I know what to do with.

I do like that W126 and the upcoming fintail Universal, both in 1:18...those could tempt me. There's a decent Revell W116 450 SEL out there too.

That Alfa looks very good, Auto Art has some good die makers apparently as their material tends to be excellent.
    Yup, Auto Art and Kyosho both make very nicely detailed 1:18 scale cars at reasonable prices. There are some spectacularly expensive 1:18s out there but I mostly stay away from anything over $200.

The AA Giulietta isn't perfect, you can tell from the photo that the hood hinges are a bit oversized but the overall shape and look of it is great. It's about $122.

This link has a list of M-B diecasts availabele.

Even $50 is where I would start sweating. The cars I like seem to come in at around $100.

Chrome trim, lenses, and windows are always the toughest things to replicate.
    edited February 2011
    Some time back I saw an ad in a British car magazine for a 1:18 scale Jaguar Mk.II and I have been eagerly awaiting the chance to buy one while desperately hoping the price wouldn't be too outrageous.

I recently got an email from Legacymotors.com with the news that the Jag, made by a new outfit Model Icons Ltd., was available in Carmen Red or British Racing for $89.

It arrived by UPS yesterday and let me tell you it is terrific. The photos on Legacy's website do not do it justice at all>

The paint which is "Inspector Morse Red" is much prettier than in the photo and the shutlines are tight with one exception, the forward edge of the trunk has a gap that's noticeably too large for the scale but the trunk lid opens easily and stays open nicely. Unfortunately the trunk interior is a bit underwhelming with only a jack to add detail to it. The trunk floor looks as if it's made of plastic, there's no attempt to make it look carpeted.

The cabin interior is nicely detailed in tan but the seats should have a less matte finish to achieve a more leather-like appearance. The opposite is true of the dash which IMO should have a glossier finish.

Exterior and interior chrome is beautifully done with window surrounds and chrome strips that all appear to be in perfect scale. The doors open readily and line up properly when shut.

Under the hood..er...bonnet you don't have the uncluttered view of the
    DOHC 6 that you get in the XKs with their sidedraft carbs. It's cluttered in there which the model replicates and the downdraft carb is invisible , hidden by an ugly Detroit style air cleaner housing that resembles a garbage can lid. The hood has a nicely executed scissors style opening mechanism.

Tires (blackwalls) are well done and have lettering on the sides and realistic tread patterns, they reside on chromed wires that might look better
    if they were toned down a bit.

You can't have everything for less than $100 but Model Icons delivers good value in their Mk2s. It looks big on a shelf next to Healeys and TRs but in reality the Mk.2 was quite compact and along with it's predecessor it pioneered the modern luxury sport sedan. For my money it may be the best looking four-door ever made and the model does justice to that great styling.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Very nice!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    "Inspector Morse Red"

Nice! I'm sure John Thaw would have approved too.
    edited February 2011
    Half price but that's at Amazon so who knows what the price will be when you click through. Supposedly on sale today and tomorrow.

link
    Any kid of the 70s or 80s should remember Tomy/Tomica "Pocket Cars" - detailed Matchbox size cars with delicate suspensions, often many weird foreign cars in the lineup. They are collectible now, I had many when I was a kid. They were phased out in the US around 1985.

And now they are back...I have seen these at the local Toys R Us, some of the playsets and cars are really cool, if I had unlimited budget and space I'd collect these.
    edited February 2011

The Sizzlers Hot Wheels spin-off introduced in 1970 with a built-in motor and a tiny rechargeable battery.

Six cars were made in 1970, 12 cars were made in 1971, and 4 cars were made in 1972. The "Fat Daddy" Sizzlers (oversized bodies with huge tires) were introduced in 1973. Mattel put the Sizzlers on a hiatus after that year, and in 1976 they created Sizzlers II. That next year, the Night Ridin' Sizzlers (which had headlights you could turn on or off) were created. Mattel stopped Sizzlers production in 1978.

Sizzlers were charged with two or four D-cell chargers called the Juice Machine and Goose Pump respectively. Later, the Power Pit was introduced—which was an electric charger that plugged into any household AC outlet and resembled a race track garage or pit stop. A 90-second charge of the tiny internal NiCad battery gives up to five minutes of frenetic run time. It has been said that the 90-second charge time was "the longest minute and a half in a kid's life" as they waited impatiently for the car to charge sufficiently to get back into the race.

I have "Hot Wings" sitting on my desk right now, found it in a box of old Matchbox at a yard sale.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a remarkable story:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Chenot.htm

And yeah, the engine runs on propane fuel!!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Beautiful!
    Nice to see that craftsmanship isn't dead
    It reminds me of some of the exquisite treasures made for the Kings of France---mechanical birds, etc. This piece really belongs in a museum.
    Truly amazing! This makes Danbury models look like slushcast Tootsietoy cars!
    Well, there is Van Gogh and there is "commercial art". Each has its place and its worth. At least I would dare to *touch* a Danbury model. Even standing next to this Duesy I'd freak out. Can you imagine dropping ten years of a man's work?
    ...diecast from an unknown manufacturer. I think this is supposed to be a 1959 Chrysler:

No wonder this manufacturer remains unknown. What is this supposed to be, a Dodge?

• jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Yes, that is a really crude model. What scale is it?
    1:43 I believe.
    edited March 2011
    They do Mopars better than Fords! This might be a 1959 Edsel Corsair:

edited March 2011
    Probably a Japanese copy of period Dinky-Corgi toys. The Japanese made imitations of British diecast back in the day. Dinky made a couple nice DeSotos that looked similar

edited March 2011
    These could be fun:

Flickr
    Not a collectible, but several months ago Matchbox released a toy version of one of my favorite cars from childhood, the 1985+ Toyota 4-Runner. Unwilling to buy from an ebay scalper, I finally found one on a retail rack for the normal $1 price. It's a nice toy, the tampos are excellent and detailing is fine save for the chrome interior. There's a blue variant I also want.

Here it is next to Lemko's Caddy

I'm sure you already know of the Matchbox Mercedes E-Class that somewhat resembles one of your rides:

Hopefully somebody can get me this beauty from the Danbury Mint!

Yep, there was a CLK during the same time that pulled it off better, too

I remember when Lego sets were really basic. All you got was a few wheels, gears, and rubber tires in addition to various sized bricks.
    I remember when real cars were like that too. :-)
    Those new sets are so expensive. Some of the elaborate building sets are much more.

Cool, but too much for a dust collector...I can buy vintage dust collectors for that much, and they appreciate. Wouldn't turn it down as a gift, though...

I had a Technic set when I was about 10, it was a go kart. Pretty cool, challenging for a kid - working steering gear, moving engine parts, etc. Lego is a much better use of time than video games and the like.
    Heck, I go back further that that. One of my prized possessions was a motorized Erector Set. Heck, you could make some pretty elaborate creations out of a bunch of perforated metal girders, steel wheels and gears, and a lot of nuts, washers, bolts, and brackets.
    edited July 2011
    Neo, the maker of some oddball malaise American scale models, has a couple new releases:

Odd things to want models of, but I can see Lemko collecting these. They also make one similar to his Caddy:

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'm getting ready to build this:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive