Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Cool...

I guess I should update my carspace sometime.

I loved the Matchbox 928...apparently the 928 is a hard car to model with its odd proportions, so most toys of it didn't look right. But the Matchbox one looked ok, I still have mine, it's blue. I also have that Audi, that was one of the last real made in England Matchbox. Was the Pepsi truck a model A Ford? I think I had that too, but I don't recall seeing it lately, so it probably didn't make it.

I guess I should dig out the modern cars sometime.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    No, the Pepsi truck was a red tilt cab Dodge truck, with a white cube on it and a blue and white Pepsi sticker. I still have the truck, but I peeled the Pepsi stickers off when i was young.

A few years ago I picked up a couple books at Wilkinson's on Matchbox cars. They're pretty neat with one book covering every matchbox from 1969 to 1982, the other 1982 to 1992. They have a color photo of every Matchbox, plus pricing on them.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Ah OK, I don't remember that Pepsi van. I swear I had a model A that was a Pepsi van.

I have a similar book to those, for 1947-1969, the ones I primarily like.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Wow a collectible car that probably is worth quite a few bucks. ;)

Rocky
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    While I do not collect, I have lusted over some of these trucks. Way out of my price range for a dust collector, but a work of art.

http://www.allamericantoyco.com/
    I also have some Matchbox models of yesteryear.

One is a Capt Morgan Rum Model A van, the other a London double decker, and my sister dug up a red Dusenburg at the beach once.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...I had a large metal toy Texaco gasoline truck. By the looks of it, it was from the 1950s and probably worth a fortune today. I also remember an nice toy articulated ladder truck that once belonged to my Uncle Albert. Don't know what happened to that one.

I'm sure everybody remembers the tough steel Tonka trucks. I had a LOT of these as a kid. My favorite one was of a car carrier that was loaded with a set of four 1963 Brooks Stevens-designed Jeep pickup trucks and station wagons. This past Decemer I went to Toys-R-Us to buy a Tonka truck for my little nephew for Xmas and discoverd they are now mostly plastic and manufactired in China! Ugh!
    I have some Yesteryears too...a handful of vintage ones I got with a small collection of early regular Matchbox, and I have a few leftover from when I was a kid. I probably had about 10 of them at one time when I was little, but they seemed to end up in worse condition than smaller cars - due to their easily detached parts no doubt. I remember back in the day ERTL also had a line of similarly sized (ca. 1:43) old time cars, I liked these too...I recall a nice model T sedan and 1940 Ford woody that I was fond of. They all ended up very playworn.

The early Yesteryears are actually pretty nice, exceptional detailing given the technology and scale of production. I have a couple examples of a steam/traction engine that is like a little jewel.
    Those vintage style pressed steel ones are pretty cool.

I don't have any pressed steel vehicles...I do have a Hubley Ford phone truck, but I think Hubleys are a diecast pot metal. I once had a couple old Structo trucks with wide whitewall tires, but they were sold some time ago.
    I had a toy tow truck that was so detailed it had whitewall tires and separate metal hubcaps and a very detailed boom. I can just barely remember it, but it was a very nice toy.

Does anybody recall Nylint toys?
    I know that name, yeah. They might have vanished in the 80s.

There were quite a few metal toy truck makers back in the day that are gone now. Some of them made very nice - or at least charming - trucks.

Here's my Hubley phone truck ($10 at an estate sale - I couldn't resist) and another promotional car I forgot about - it's a ca. 1948 International pickup.

I'm probably going to take it easy and just kick around my place today...maybe I'll take some toy car pics.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Those a pretty cool :)

Rocky
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    you can still find the metal Tonka trucks at Wally-world (Wal-Mart).. but they are expensive.

I preferred Nylint trucks when I was a kid, had a better variety of type of trucks (Fire, Rescue, Construction, Big Rigs).

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I did notice a few post back someone mentioning the upcoming Transformers movie (July 4th 2007). The 2 actors who did the voices for Optimus Prime and Megatron are reprising their roles and doing the voices. This alone makes me want to see the movie.

Transformers 2007

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    The yellow truck resembles a 1947 International and the green truck looks like a 1951-52 Ford.
    I keep it confined to my computer room.

Hope the pics are not too big. :blush:

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    to 2005, I collected Hot Wheels mainline cars; First Editions, Series, and repaints. I made a half-hearted attempt in '06, but the work schedule just harpooned any extra time during the day, and the kids require more attention as their school work gets more complicated these days. I'm done with it for now.

So, all told there are some 1500 or so of them in storage bins up in the crawl space. Some day Jr. is gonna get one heck of a Christmas present...
    Cool...do you have any Kyosho or Minichamps cars?

I need to get some pics of those 70s-80s Matchbox maybe today
    No, no Minichamps or Kyosho for me.

If I could I'd be buying up all the newest and coolest stuff out there, but it would cost me a ton of money.

I actually like AutoArt cars but there's about $100 each around here.

Yeah, some of those Auto Art are nice. I think that company must be connected to Minichamps - the product looks so similar.

Here are some pics I took this evening, of some cars I had as a kid. Many are showing their age, as they have been stored in a big plastic tub. I picked out some more interesting cars.

Here are some oddities - some Matchbox trains, a cool Siku Unimog and trailer, and a Matchbox SuperKings Jag + trailer

Various Hot Wheels, Majorette, Siku. The '32 Ford is an Ertl, and it was on the cake at my 8th birthday

Tomy 'Pocket Cars' (save for the General Lee)

Matchbox, including the 928 and Audi you mentioned. The black Packard in the back is a HotWheels - it and the Citroen beside it were used in WWII scenes I would make out of Lego as a kid
    That's pretty cool. when I have a house, and a garage (in which I'll put all my car toys, and memorabilia in), and some time I will go seeking old Matchbox cars like that that remind me of my care free childhood days.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    that's pretty impressive!

man, you guys are gonna force me to go take pics of my collection. ;)

I'm into the 1:18 models mostly. I haven't bought one in quite some time since they are currently restricted to one showcase, but maybe I should install some shelves in the garage or pool room. hmmmm...

anyway, my first was a '37 Jag SS100 (just like this one). Wish I knew when it was produced, but I know I got it when I was quite young. I'm thinking maybe 7? I dunno. Could be later, I suppose. But it grew from there. I picked up most in my young teenage years and then it tapered off. The latest I have is a 350Z (in burnt orange ... but i think that one is 1:24) and a new Mini (in british racing green, of course). My wife has tried to support the habit and has given me a couple over the years, but nothing I would have picked up myself (a late model lambo, for instance).

I'd say I probably have 40-50 of the 1:18 cars, mostly bburago. Surfing around for info, I found this site. I'll have to try to use a translator on that if I have the time. And I might have 20-30 smaller cars. I'm pretty sure I have something from every decade.

I always want models of specific cars I own, but they rarely exist. For instance, I had a 350z, but in dark silver with orange interior. I had to settle for a model with the orange exterior. I've always been searching for one of my Alfa, but the only one I've ever seen is small (1:48 maybe?) and in red ... i want black.

Anyone here modify their diecast models? You see folks at carshows with them. They paint them to match their real-life cars. I just don't have that kind of talent.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

...models I've found to my 1989 Cadillac Brougham are of a 1983 Cadillac Presidential limo and a small Majorette diecast limo that looks like my '89.
    I had that same Jag SS100. I got it around 1987 I think. There were a few years when I had a thing for those 1:18 models, back then my dad travelled a lot for work, and when he would come back I could con him into getting me one. I had a few of those Bburagos - a couple Mercedes SSK, a red E-type Jag, my first was a Rolls Camargue, and a couple others - a Testarossa and a Bugatti I think. Those cars all got pretty ruined, I played with them a bit.

I also had quite a few 1:24 Bburago - all of those also ruined via hard play. I especially remember a Ferrari GTO, 300SL, 190E, Bugatti, Porsche 959, and several others.

Now that I look back, I should thank my parents for being so indulgent in my car fixation. Maybe it was because I usually didn't go for whatever was popular from TV.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    boomchek - I have that same tire clock that is in the first picture in your post #69. I got it as a Christmas gift last year. Where did you get yours? I wondered where the person that gave it to me got it from.
    When you said '87, I started wondering again. I knew I couldn't have been that old (not that you didn't get it in '87, but i was sure I got it long before that). According to this one site, they have the production listed as 1981, which would have made me 8 that christmas. Of course, its possible I didn't get it till '82.

In any case, kind of interesting that I never played with these. They immediately went on display. well... ok, i played a little. I never ran them across the floor or anything, but i know i spent alot of time opening/closing the hood straps, turning the steering wheel back/forth, etc. I was just fascinated with the details. But I guess I was always a weird kid.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I got the clock at the Honda dealer where I work. It's not visible on the picture, put on the face cover there's a little H symbol.

And speaking of bburagos I used to have a ton of them (1:24 scale) when we lived in Italy in the late 80s but I had to give some up when we were moving over here. Then in my teen years I destroyed some of them playing demo derby, and gave some others away, too bad. :blush::cry:

i got that same one off Ebay for my son's room. Kinda tough to actually tell time from a distance, but man is that thing cool looking.

edit: just saw boomcheck's response. Mine doesn't have an H on it. boomcheck, does yours have the neon inside the rim? when i was shopping, there seemed to be some that did and some that didn't. Ours does, but I've never even turned it on because we figure it would bother my son while trying to sleep.

Yeah I think they might have been leftover old stock by 87...I remember they were always on sale at a local toy store, something like $15-20. I was probably the only customer for those things.

I loved the details of those cars, the steering and the removeable wheels with the detachable hubs especially. Also the fact that they had gauges, and all the engine details. I could take them apart and put them back together, or drop parts from one car into another. Kind of like a kid taking apart a clock...it means it will never be right again LOL.
    This one doesn't light up, but I have another one, about 10 inches in diameter that's hanging on the wall that does light up.

yup, 10" sounds about right. That's the one.

I can't remember what we paid for it from ebay. Maybe $15?

Wow, thanks for that Bburago 1:18 link. Thanks to the IT idiots at work (I'd call em [non-permissible content removed], but that's being mean to [non-permissible content removed]), I couldn't get to it...but I can post here all I want...weird. Anyway, lots of cool info there, makes me want some of my old cars back. Any sites like that about their 1:24 cars? I also remember I had a 1:24 Bburago MB 500SEC....and it was a rally car! And that's how I played with it.
    hmmm... just a "190", huh? no year, no engine size. maybe i'm too picky. I'm just wondering if it has the badges on the trunk and what they say.

you can have WAY too much fun with the stuff on here.

Tamiya USA

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I can't recall...as my example of that toy was ruined probably nearly 20 years ago. Euro models had a number of engine sizes too...maybe I'll have to buy it and report.
    I was looking for some stuff in a closet today, and I found these cars.

The white ambulance is a Pocket Cars/Tomy Toyota, the old fire truck is Hot Wheels, the truck with the blue crane thing is a Majorette, the boom truck, forklift (which has a three spoke steering wheel, I always thought it as a Mercedes star) and 4x4 van are Matchbox - the van being one of the last models introduced before Lesney disappeared. An oddball is the Firebird, which was in a line called "Lock Ups"...you'd place a cheap plastic key in the base, and could lock and unlock the doors. The key is long gone. And the real oddity here has to be the 1:43 Bburago Saab 900 rally car. The doors read "Bjorn Cederberg" and "Stig Blomqvist", who were actual Saab drivers ca. 1980.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Found this link on a carspace member's page (http://www.carspace.com/hudsonthedog):
    http://www.swetrain.nu/bilar/

Paper model cars? Might be a good way to kill some time.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

...when I was a kid, the local Ford dealer was giving away fliers for the 1974 Mustang II that included a cutout of the car that you could fold and paste for a paper model.
    Ha those are kind of neat, you can really modify them and crash them
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Given that I have difficulty drawing stick figures that are recognizable, these might actually provide me with a creative outlet to produce a result that's identifiable as a vehicle. Plus, get some glitter glue and presto! Really cool pinstripes.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Shoot, when I was a kid, I'd make very detailed models of cars out of modeling clay and smash them against a wall or each other to see what they would look like after a crash-test. Rather than being solid blocks of clay, I'd hollow out portions for the interior, trunk, and engine compartment and mold separate doors, hoods, trunk lids, engines, exhaust systems, bumpers, wheels, grilles, roofs, and interior components. Funny how most of the results would mimic real crash tests.
    Wow, that's a lot more than I ever did.

When I had a toy car that had a broken axle or some other unrepairable defect (once I broke the rivets to try a repair, it would never go back together correctly), it would usually fall victim to a hammer or the foot operated part of an old treadle sweing machine to simulate a crash. Then my little brother noticed me doing this, and ruined some of my good cars! I still remember the Matchbox RR Shadow and Majorette Saab EMS he crushed. As those toys were out of production when I had them, I was really mad.
    I destroyed most of my Bburagos that I brought over from Italy like that. I took them to the parkade and just smashed them against the concrete walls. I kinda regret it now. :sick:

Haha...my Bburago Rolls Camargue got "driven" out of a second story window once it was in beater condition. It landed mainly on its roof...it was pretty cool.
    Was it a 1:18 scale off white color? My cousin had one like that.

Yep.

It was an odd car, one of their earlier models. The scale was more like 1:22, it just seemed smaller than my other cars.
    My Bburago collection was all 1:24 scale and consisted of:

White BMW 6 series (that you put together)
    Silver Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
    Black GTi (that I still have
    Blue Rover Metro
    Porsche 944
    Black Ford Mustang Police car (same as on the mystery car pix thread right now)
    Yellow Land Rover Range Rover 3 door with the flip up tailgate
    Ferrari Boxer

I still have some left over including a white Porsche 911.

About 4 years ago when I was with my ex, she was nuts about Vipers, and we pretty much bought up any Viper model we could find.

She had a nice collection of Viper models of all scales too. Too bad she took it with her.