Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Predict The Winners Of 2007 - Malibu, Avenger, Lancer, Corolla

harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
What new vehicles coming out do you think will be winners in 2007?
I think Malibu, Avenger, Lancer, will do very well.
Not sure when the new Corolla is coming out(heard Summer of 2007). if it does, and from what I have seen on the net, etc, it should(as per usual) do very well in sales, too.

What do you think will be a winner(or possibly a loser) in 07?
Seems the Sebring is not doing so hot( it is an 07 model).

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I thought the new Lancer, Avenger, Malibu were all 08' models ?

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    07'S arriving as fresh 08' models...

The Lancer is a huge step forward for Mitsu and I think it will pay off for them, along with the Outlander SUV. Could actually shout "Turnaround!" from the back corner of the automotive classroom. I can imagine a few giddy salesmen awaiting the new EVO to arrive in showrooms as well. Winner.

Another big winner is probably going to be those new Lambda utes. Although they don't really bring anything special to the table, they appear competent. Porky, but competent.

The Malibu? Eh. Rental cars. Will do little to crack the diehard Camcord market. Why buy a Malibu unless you don't like Saturn or Pontiac? Same car, just not old news like the others... big whoop.

The Avenger? probably little different from the outgoing model unless Chrysler markets the hell out of it or comes up with some slick VW type ad campaign for it.

Mazda CX-9, I predict will do well. Hopefully steal a few sales from those Lambda utes mentioned above.

VW EOS. When the springtime comes, I can see sales of this thing skyrocketing. It's slick, has the smooth HT, plus chicks are going to eat them up faster than you can say "Cabrio".

Civic Si sedan will have waiting lists and the new Corolla will probably be top of its game if they continue with the baby-Lexus theme on the interior.

Last but not least, the Altima coupe is going to find quite a few buyers who want something different in the world of Accord coupes and Solaras. With G35 cues, it's going be a safe choice for a winner.

Gonna be a pretty good year I predict.
    anything, I agree the EVO could be very cool and even I will want to "take a closer look at one" ;)

Rocky
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    Hmmmm, let's just say 07 models(that came out in late 2006) and models in Calendar Year 2007( as 08's, or whatever). ;)
    Okay, I was just making sure so i can follow along accurately in this discussion. :)

Rocky
    Seem to be doing well the past few years. The SX4 sedan should do well(rumored to be here by Summer, to replace the very slow selling Aerio sedan). The SX4 "ute" is doing well.
    Father- In- Law has had one nearly 3 months, and 7,500 miles( yes, he drives a lot, about 120 miles per day, Cheaper than moving... his house is paid off, and he's near retirement age).Seems to be a hit.
    My issue is with the SX4's is their length( like something at least compact length)...in case of a wreck...like some room between the bumper, "crunch space" ;)
    Anyhow, it should do well.
    Looks decent enough. Seems solid. 7/100K warranty, sub-compact prices, fwd/ 2 types of AWD, for under 15K.
    143HP.

The Avenger is rumored to be based upon the Sebring platform. The Sebring drives well enough(it's no sporty vehicle, but not horribly bad, either)....but is horrid looking, inside and out. The Avenger is the better looker.
    This has the GEMA engined I-4.
    300,000 mile + engine.
    I am not enthralled with the front end( seems 90% of Chrysler/Dodges look like trucks, up front).
    It will sell(better than Sebring).

Altima will sell well, but Nissan is about the only Asian maker(outside of Isuzu) that has Lost sales in 2006.

Kia has a new wagon/crossover vehicle, been out 6 weeks already, Rondo( I saw one, and, didn't like the looks at all ).
    http://www.velocityjournal.com/journal/2007/kia/15025ov.html

Looks old already, like it may have come out a few years ago, vs weeks ago.
    It might sell. I do not think it is a "draw"(for others who do not buy Hyundai/Kia).
    Not to me,either, mind you ;)

There have been rumors and some spy pix on the next(blogs) about a 2 door Ford, small car(Focus) for this year(08 model).
    Can't really comment on it, since the "spy pix" are horrible.
    May/may not sell.

Ohhhh, there's a new xB and xA(whatever they're going to be called) coming out( been told by Scion, been on the net, etc).
    Unsure if these will do well. Scion has been a success for 3+ years of it's existence.

take care/not offense.
    No Problem ;)
    http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm?id=22807
    Not saying I would buy one, or it will conquer Camry or Accord, but I am sure the Fusion, Sonata, and maybe even Optima, for example, are probably taking a few sales from the current Malibu.
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2007-01-02T2- - 02337Z_01_N02489901_RTRIDST_0_GM-MALIBU.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna

This says it will compete with Camry, but not come out until 2008?( think this is wrong, unless GM has moved the date up from the Summer of 07)?
    Said sales of 100-125,000 for 06 of current Malibu.

Maybe this new one will do slightly better?
    I dunno.
    take care/not offense.
    Loren,

What about this hot new lookin' Saturn Aura Green Line. At $23K who wouldn't want this perfect camcord like appliance :D :shades:

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp

Rocky

P.S. don't forget to check out that hot lookin' VUE also ;)
    that C&D did a 6 car test, and the Aura and the Optima beat the Camry(did not say for what, though. Quality? Drive? Prices? All of this?).
    The top pick was Accord, the 2nd was Altima, and surprisingly, the Optima, then Aura was 4th. Think Sebring was 6th, and Camry 5th? Not 100% sure, but I know the top 4 are supposedly as I posted(still waiting to see the magazine at the local bookstore, or find it on the net. Guess it is a current edition?).

What about the Pontiac G5? I do not think that will save GM. I saw one, and it's acceptable, but acceptable may not quite cut it these days.

There's news of the new Saturn(Opel)Astra 3 and 5 doors coming out in late Summer of this year.
    Sounds like they will be about the length of the Kia Rio Sedan, and start around 16K?(blog and news sources guessing on MSRP?).
    Dunno how those will be. Not really into sub-compacts these days(personally). Compact sized vehicles, or larger, yes.

I recall that sharp looking Antara(Opel) 3 door vehicle (when they mentioned it as a VUE replacement), but what do they show a few months back, a last-generation-looking Sanat Fe knock-off(but worse in th elooks dept), with 5 doors(only).
    The 3 door Anatara they showed would have been a vehicle to steal sales from Imports, but the GM(American) version?
    Not unless there are tons of people who liked the old Santa Fe looks, and want a New One vs a Used Santa Fe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Antara
    The GTC Green "VUE" was what was first presented on the net awhile ago as the next VUE, then on the right side, the brown looking 5 door is what we will get( and it's a Daewoo. That may not resonate with some buyers, even loyalists of GM products).
    It's ok, but nothing like the 3 door.
    take care/not offense.
    to help folks see what is out for 07 and at top of page, check out 08 stuff.
    http://www.intellichoice.com/future/future/year/2007
    This is fairly accurate, as they mentioned the Magentis(Kia Optima in USA)V6 @ 188HP...it's 185HP( around 5HP less than the Sebring "mid-range" V-6, but Kia has the warranty where as Chrysler does not... no warranty even like GM's, which is a different subject, correct?).

Anyhow, this site is 90-95% accurate.

Anyhow, enjoy.
    take care/not offense.
    there would be 30 replies, at least!
    What gives? :confuse:
    I posted this on another forum, and the discussion is smokin' hot!

Anyhow....
    have a good one.
    take care/not offense.
    harry,

I believe that site is quite a bit less accurate than 90-95% since I read through just only the 2007-2008 model years and saw enough flaws to shake my head at as inaccurate. I however do appreciate you posting the link. ;)

Rocky
    Yeah, I think you're correct. Maybe 65-75% :confuse:
    I know a few others( think MT site) has a future vehicle type thing also.
    Until the maker's themselves say" Yes, it will be here soon", I guess we should take sites such as the intellichoice one with a grain of salt.

Take Care/Not Offense
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    well it won't be the new Corolla, which isn't expected now until Q1 2008.

The new Lancer will go completely unnoticed by the buying public, just as the new Outlander is already doing. I am beginning to think more and more strongly that Mitsubuishi's days in America are numbered, and I can't begin to fathom why Isuzu bothers to maintain a North American sales operation, what with the 8600 vehicles they sold here this year.

The '08 Malibu has to be ALL THAT and a lot more. The current Malibu WAS all that back in '03, and even so sales boosts were modest, and it quickly fell to rental fleet duty. In my area, the '08 Malibu won't grab many sales, but I can see it being a winner for GM in other regions if they have done a good job of the redesign, and any change in the looks of the current model would be an improvement.

People are saying that sales of the Fusion will jump when it gets the 3.5L engine, I disagree. I do think it will be another good year for Saturn, currently GM's only brand with increasing sales. The Astra will come out, and should grab a lot more sales than the Ion. Aura in its first full year and Outlook, coming this month or next, will sell strongly.

I do think the Lambda full-size crossovers (Enclave, Acadia, Outlook) will do very well, and probably give GM the breathing room it needs to kill the minivan program (and that would be a mercy kill) just as Ford has just done.

I think Altima will do a lot better than the old model, but before it can do so they need to clear the lots of the '06s, still sitting around in large numbers. Me, I don't like the trend at Nissan towards all-CVT, all the time. That could hurt their sales, but it's hard to say.

I am very curious to see the next-gen Accord - the drawings of the coupe to be shown at NAIAS next week look gorgeous, so that model may see a big improvement in looks. That will probably be the biggest winner among cars in '07, depending on how much they have changed.

Mazda: the CX-7 is already being discounted heavily, and now they have the incentivized lease. Perhaps that's just the facts of life at Mazda. I think the new CX-9 will do well, while the Tribute replacement will get lost in the shuffle of too many similar-sized models. And speaking of 7-seat crossovers, I think the new Highlander in spring will kick butt - it is a model that still sells pretty well even now despite being totally outdated and too small compared to its competition.

Speaking of Toyota, will the new Tundra be the "winner" they are so desperately hoping it will be? Maybe. Gas prices are up, everyone is well aware how much they can spike, full-size pick-up sales dropped more than 10% for GM and Ford this year, so I dunno. I think it will sell at least as well as the current model, and maybe get close to Toyota's goals for it.

Suzuki? Going nowhere, held back by a small line of models, a sparse to non-existent dealer network, and zero brand recognition. The SX4 is a very competent but not outstanding replacement for the fairly competent but quite ugly Aerio line. Sales aren't going to skyrocket on that basis. The XL7 uses the GM 3.6L DOHC with a slight hp boost, which is nice, but looks weird and stands out in no other way. The Grand Vitara has already been on sale for a while, without much impact on sales.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yeah, I think you're correct. Maybe 65-75%

Harry, that sounds a little more accurate based on what I already know on whats going to be released and whats not especially on the domestic side. :)

Rocky
    Suzuki sales best in USA ever.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/03/032844.html
    over 100,000 sold(first time) in USA.
    That may not sound like much, but for Suzuki, well,it is.
    Hyundai sold arond 91,000 units in 1998, and people sounded the death knoll for them...now look, 455,000 sales last year.
    Mistubishi is being "toasted" for their "comeback", and they sold only 118,000 + units in 06,, but it is better than what they were doing, it appears.
    There are 3 dealerships within 1 hour(or less) of where I live, of Suzuki. 1 is decent, the other 2 are small, but have been around 5 -8 years.

Suzuki( if you read the sites like I tend to, 6-10 per day, blogs,news sites, etc), Will build their own small cars in the future( that is the story) like they did the SX4(well, they use their engineering, etc, and assemble with Fiat, thus Fiat has a version, and this 2 companies splitting costs saves both companies money, vs one comapny building same thing, each, and more profits).
    I do not care for the GM-DAT cars, either. I like the Reno styling, and general idea, but Suzuki needs to tweak it themselves.
    If they build a Reno( a sporty-maybe better- Reno type of car, for end of 07, as intellichoce claims)that is good, I'll think about it.
    Low MPG, slow 0-60 times= No(for now).
    You also gotta remember, Suzuki is #3 in sales in Japan, due to Kei cars,etc..(I heard).
    Here's the article: Suzuki passed Honda in Oct 06...
    right behind Toyota and Nissan.
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2006/11/japans_mini_car.html-

Honda is 9th place worldwide in sale, last year, I read(forgot where though) and Suzuki was 12th( before this news of outselling Honda in Japan). Hyundai-Kia outsold Nissan and Honda(Nissan was 7th, I believe).
    Suzuki is not broke, if you look at the whole picture ;)
    I would say their Verona is a goner(see sales link above).
    maybe why intellichoice link I provided(65-75% correct, it seems), may have a sporty seddan(all new) for 08(maybe to replace this Verona. No one wants it!).
    I just would not count them out , neither would I count out Mistubishi*(yet).
    Subaru, for years, sold barely 100,000 units, and they are still around( they hit Over 200,000 for '06, a milestone for them! They ain't goin' nowhere, it appears).

Anyhow, take care/not offense.
    Thanks for the info.
    Guess we'll just have to wait for "official" information after the auto shows, etc, on what is going to come out, and when, etc.
    take care/not offense.
    I guess we don't have much of a choice do we. :blush:

Rocky

P.S. I do like your "take care/not offense" line. That is your edmunds trademark harrychezt. ;)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Volvo: Curious about the S80 (has to do better than the old model!), but I think the C30 is going to sell fast. No idea how many units they are trying to move, but they should be able to sell quite a few.

The big Lambda utes at GM should do nicely.

The new Accord, if the styling cues pan out, and they keep the interior/driving quality up, is going to revitalize sales (still quite respectable, but not like what they used to be).

Kia/Hyundai are going to continue to gobble up market share, expecially if they keep getting reviews like mentioned above.

The Optima finished 3rd, and was said to "out Camry the Camry" not only in function, but it blew it away in quality of materials, and even fit/finish!

The Sebring, however, will sink to the bottom of the rental car pool quickly, if it isn't already there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    Here are my winners:

-Acadia/Outlook - these are outstanding!
    -Aura
    -Astra
    -Any new Accord, regardless of what it looks like/does.
    -BMW 3 coupe

I'm lukewarm on these (meaning that either I like them and they won't do very well, or I hate them and they sell like hotcakes):

-Malibu will be a partial-winner, in that it'll do significantly better than the old Malibu, but not enough to hurt Camry/Accord sales to any significant extent.

-Edge, I like it's styling, but it is way too overpriced (more than a comparably exquipped Outlook).

-Altima, virtually indistinguishable from the outgoing model to the average person, except for the taillights, which are questionable. On the Nissan dealer lot these days, I can hardly tell old Altima from new Altima from "new" Maxima.

- CRV, can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't like the styling...at all. It'll probably sell well, in spite of my tastes, however.

I have little hope for:

-anything Mitsubishi, regards of how good it is. I agree with those who predict Mitsu isn't going to be with us (US) in the future.

-Pontiac G5, way to make a Cobalt look less sporty!!!

-Chrysler Sebring, does this appeal to anyone?

-CX-5, was in one the other day, and was surprised at how small it is. The cargo are is hardly any better than a Matrix/Vibe. For a SUV/crossover to be attractive, it has to at least have "utility" over a regular hatchback.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    -Altima, virtually indistinguishable from the outgoing model to the average person, except for the taillights, which are questionable.

I think the tailights look a lot better in person than they do in photos. I never noticed the crease in the rear door and quarter panel until I saw it in the ads, though. The Altima coupe will probably be the big winner for 2007.

-CX-5, was in one the other day, and was surprised at how small it is.

You mean the Mazda5? That and the Kia Rondo are throwbacks to the days when minivans were actually smaller than a Tahoe, and they'll do well enough for it. Not everyone needs a battlewagon.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The CX-5 is the new Tribute model for 2008. They must have meant the Mazda5 I guess. The Rondo has much more interior space despite being shorter. I guess it has more space because it is wider and has a lower load floor. It also seats 7 instead of 6, but I wouldn't want to be the middle person in the 2nd row.
  • bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    Despite some posters on here declaring certain models to be failures or likely failures, many of them got off to a roaring start in December. A few examples:
    Nissan Altima: Up 39.8% compared to Dec. '05.
    Chrysler Sebring: Up 116% compared to Dec. '05
    Honda CRV: Up. 29.6% compared to Ded. '05.

These cars are already hits, and there's every reason to think they will continue to be in the coming months. For the record, the only one I kinda like is the Altima, which seems like the logical evolution of a basically good thing. I don't like the Sebring at all, but it may be striking a chord with some buyers simply because it's not a clone of every other midsize sedan out there.
    Hold it on the Altima though - the dealers still have a bunch of '06s lying around, and Nissan has thrown on massive cash rebates to move them. The sales boost there could just be the result of the fire sale on '06s.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Run Away Hits for 2007:
    The new Accord
    Saturn Aura
    Anything Lambda based (although I kind of struggle with the thought that people will buy a $44,000 Saturn at MSRP when the GMC dealer down the street might be discounting)
    Honda CR-V

Runners-Ups for 2007:
    Mercedes-Benz GL450
    Volvo C30
    Infiniti G35
    Nissan Altima
    Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX

Losers for 2007:
    Chrysler Sebring
    Dodge Nitro (why not just get a Jeep Liberty?)
    Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition

Just my two cents there... I think the reasoning as to why Sebring sales are up over 100% over last year is because nobody really wanted a 2005/2006 Chrysler Sebring unless they were a fleet buyer for Hertz or Budget.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Anything Lambda based (although I kind of struggle with the thought that people will buy a $44,000 Saturn at MSRP when the GMC dealer down the street might be discounting)

My wife is due a new vehicle this spring, and I had been doing the full-court press trying to get her into a Japanese minivan.

Then, we drove a Saturn Outlook last week.

If you don't need the more "luxe" options, you can actually get one for under $30k. We do have employee pricing, which helps.

If GM doesn't sell the dirt out of these things, they might as well hang it up. It's the best people mover I have ever driven. BAR NONE. It is impressive in every sense of the word.

We're going to drive a GMC this week just to compare, but we both like the option packages on the Saturn better.
  • bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    I'm already seeing a fair number of new Sebrings on the road in San Francisco -- not a town that's been a big market for domestic sedans of late. While some could be rentals, some were clearly not. In fact, I'd venture that the new Sebring is already at least as common on the streets of SF as the Ford Five Hundred, despite the Five Hundred having been out for a couple years.
    Yesterday I saw the new (upcoming) Hyundai Veracruz SUV. This is the bigish 7 seater, supposed to compete with the Pilot/Lexus/Mdx/B9, etc. Fairly large, super nice interior, looked quite upscale.

I think the are supposed to be out in the spring sometime. A guy I know works for Hyundai corporate and was driving it, so I got to sit in the thing. You could stick a lexus label on it and plenty of people would believe it.

Also, the ALtima should do well. When you see it in person, it (to me) looks quite a bit different than the old model. SImilar shape, but noticeably different. And the reviews make it sound like a great car. If I had to replace my Accord right now with another mid-size 4 door, it would be on the short list.

about the stuff has me really excited for the Philly car show next month. Can't wait to scope it all out in person.

I also need to hit a few dealers this week. I want to scope out the Saturn SUV in person.

Oh, and the other potential hit (I hope), but on a smaller scale, is the Sentra SE-R. Should do well if they get the sporty quotient (handling mostly) up.

You know what I hate about the SE-R? It is automatic-only, which for '07 means CVT-only.

The only way to get a proper stick is to go with the SE-R Spec-V, which costs like $2000 more just so you can have a bunch of suspension mods to give it a bone-crunching ride, and boy-racer exterior stuff (and for the new model, an extra 25 hp - at least that's something). Yes, yes, I know it also gets the LSD and Brembos, etc etc, but for me the SE-R is more my speed (and easier on my insurance budget). It won't be in my driveway as long as there is no manual option, though.

• big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    Despite some posters on here declaring certain models to be failures or likely failures, many of them got off to a roaring start in December. A few examples:
    Nissan Altima: Up 39.8% compared to Dec. '05.
    Chrysler Sebring: Up 116% compared to Dec. '05
    Honda CRV: Up. 29.6% compared to Ded. '05.

First off, let me say that while I personally don't think much of the Altima (too un-new) or CRV (ugly), I think that they WILL do well, as history suggests.

That being said, if the new CRV only sold 30% more that the old outgoing one, that to me suggests that it isn't as good as it should have been (unless there just isn't much inventory to sell yet!).

Also, a wood block on wheels could be up 100+% over the old Sebring.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    2008 Mitsubishi Lancer but I'm not sure Mitsubishi will sell enough of them and/or the Outlander to keep theirselves afloat in the U.S.. They seem to be just one more foreign entrant that doesn't offer enough versatality in their lineup to survive. Don't get me wrong, though, I would rather have Mitsubishi survive than have them fail. The new Lancer looks fantastic, but, how much will a base model Lancer with 5-speed manual transmission cost, loaded up with base model standard equipment?

I like the new '08 Malibu's body design right down to the Diamante taillights! Pretty slick. People will probably think that their car is an appreciating item and buy the Toyota Camry instead in greater numbers but I much prefer the Malibu. Actually, if getting a midsize car, I may opt for favorite Kia and their new '07 Optima. The car is just plain winning over converts left and right in the car business. Coolio.

Love to find out more about the new Kia C'eed and Soul concept-to-production stories and get fresh updates on them.

I posted a pic of the new '08 Ford Focus on another Edmunds thread, the 2007 NAIAS thread. Go check it out or I'll put a picture of it over here in this thread later. It looks like a decent body design improvement to me. Wonder if they'll offer a 5-speed manual tranny in it? Base price? Need the info.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Who cares? They are killing the hatches and wagons! And the 2.3L engine! Instead we are back to a line-up consisting solely of SE sedans and ZX2s....it must be 1995 all over again, and I missed the announcement.

that killing the Focus hatchbacks and wagon models were a mistake, despite the fact that the sedan brought in the majority of sales.

I doubt the coupe will be able to get all of the ZX3, ZX5, and wagon buyers. Some, maybe, but not all of them.
    that is gone after this year is the Malibu Maxx. The Americans are giving up on hatches.

I actually test drove the Maxx, rather liked it although decided it was a little big for me. Point is, I bet the Malibu sedan doesn't make up for loss of the Maxx by a commensurate increase in sales.

I have a gut feeling that Chevrolet would rather sell you an Equinox than a Malibu Maxx.

The Maxx seemed like a good car though. A little quirky looking, but still quite practical nontheless.
    Well, if they want to do that, then they had better make the 3.6 and 6-speed auto standard on ALL trims, not just the "Sport". And better yet, offer a powertrain option that is easier on gas.

Chevy should, but where would that leave the Pontiac Torrent? Would the Torrent get the 3.6L too?
    and what's wrong with that?

What they should also do is shove the Vue's hybrid powertrain, version 2.0, in there as an option.

Not a bad idea :)

Is the next generation VUE getting the 3.6L?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Is the next generation VUE getting the 3.6L?

Yes, the '08 VUE will be offered with the 2.4L 4-cyl (170-175HP), the 3.5 V6 (215HP) and the 3.6L V6 (252HP).

I'm real curious about pricing.

No word on a Green Line (hybrid) version of the new VUE, however.
    they put a Green Line in for the Aura and then REMOVE IT for the Vue? I hope they continue it. Preferably with v2.0

stopped at the Saturn dealer tonight to check out an Outlander. That baby was gigundenormous. Also had a 37K sticker. Ouchey for non-dicker Saturn!

But, it was impressive inside. Tons of room, comfy seats (in front, 2nd row was a bit low), great access to the third row. Even plenty of cargo room with the 3rd row up.

Better interior packaging than a Tahoe, about the same footprint IIRC.

Did I mention it felt real big? Made my Odyssey feel petite.

Biggest problem, to me, was the huge bulk of the hood. My wife would be banging into things with it (if she could even see what was in front of her!) after years of driving a van.

So of course, they will probably sell like hot cakes, since it is probably the closest thing out there to minivan dynamics and space without the "stigma"!

I think I would get tired of piloting such a barge around every day. Nice for travelling, poor around town. I just like crossovers one size smaller (XC90, and I really want to scope out the new MDX. That sounds sweet).

I think Saturn is going with a Plug-In Version of the VUE; whether they will call it a Green Line or not I don't know.

It wouldn't make sense for Saturn to drop the Green Line though. They've done quite a lot to publicize the Green Line... (I've gotten a ton of brochures over the past year, a free baby tree, and a pack of sunflower seeds, all promoting the Vue Green Line)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Actually, if getting a midsize car, I may opt for favorite Kia and their new '07 Optima. The car is just plain winning over converts left and right in the car business. The car is just plain winning over converts left and right in the car business. Coolio.

The car is winning converts left and right?
    I;m surprised you have trust in Kia. I just don';t think that their reliable even as the Domestics and far behind the Japanese in the reliability departement. As a matter of fact I trust Hyundai alot more(Kia's steopbrother brand) for reliability in a car than Kia right now. I just think of Kia as cheap cars like the Japanese Econo Boxes of the early 80's although Kia's interiors are good in their cars.

"I posted a pic of the new '08 Ford Focus on another Edmunds thread, the 2007 NAIAS thread. Go check it out or I'll put a picture of it over here in this thread later. It looks like a decent body design improvement to me. Wonder if they'll offer a 5-speed manual tranny in it? Base price? Need the info."

I think the Focus is just another refresh of the 00 model because the 00 Focus had a refresh for the 05 model year. Ford should have put a new 2nd generation by now in my opinion.
    stopped at the Saturn dealer tonight to check out an Outlander."

No, Mitsubishi makes the Outlander and Saturn's new van or SUV is called the Outlook. I was just laughing so hard about that before.
    "Mazda: the CX-7 is already being discounted heavily, and now they have the incentivized lease. Perhaps that's just the facts of life at Mazda. I think the new CX-9 will do well, while the Tribute replacement will get lost in the shuffle of too many similar-sized models.

Yeah thats true the Tribute may get lost in the suffle because of the CX-7 and CX-9. I hope Mazda can market the Tribute good enough on the car commericials so it gets some attention and like you said and like you said get lost in the shuffle. The 01-06 Tribute was a pretty looking car. As a Mazda fan I am rooting for them to do well.
    "Any new Accord, regardless of what it looks like/does."

I agree the new Accord will be good but it does need to look better than the current model to keep it moving off of dealer lots. In my opinion the current Accord is too bland and I do like Honda.

"-Acadia/Outlook - these are outstanding!"

The Outlook does look good from what I saw of it on the front end. I think GM is finally learning what people want in a car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    simple, super simple Simon. I have direct experience with the carmaker. I'm on my 2nd new Kia in a row. The cost of owning my Sportage has been ridiculously low. These cars, minivans and SUV's are good and solid vehicles. Kia is not a 3rd world or second tier or whatever you want to call them kind of carmaker. The problems you may get with your new Kia you will just as likely get with your new Mercedes. You'll just get an inept Warranty and pay way more with your German rig.

Kia is here to stay and they improve with each passing year. They're literally taking off with big bro Hyundai. When I read New World Order criticism now about them I realize that person is not keeping up on their automotive reading. They are winning JD Power awards for quality and they are getting into the finalist in Motor Trends "Car of the Year" write-ups annually now. They are right there with the Japanese. Right now.

Usually the people who severely disrespect a maker don't really know squat about the rigs they're dissing, I've noticed. Been around this block too many times and I have personal evidence that these cars are solid and sure and inexpensive to buy and maintain. A bonus is that I love the Kia body designs. Resale value has lagged but it's time for it to go up now.

Time to hit the big 'ole reset button, people.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

This discussion has been closed.