Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda/Acura Odometer Class Action Suit

2»

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    If you had looked at the second post in this thread you'd find the link you need:

"If you bought or leased a model year 2002 through 2006 Honda or Acura automobile or a model year 2007 Honda Fit, in the United States or its territories, between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006, you may be entitled to receive benefits under a class action settlement."
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I took delivery on my 2006 acura tsx on 11.17.06. I originally was going to pick it up 11.02.06 but had to wait. Therefore I am not in the class action suit- My car's odo works fine so I really do not care.
  • seaspotsranchseaspotsranch Member Posts: 10
    I have an '06 pilot that I took delivery of in April 2006. I assume that it is included in the lawsuit. How is Honda providing information to owners regarding the extension of the warranty? Should I contact the dealership?
    Thanks!
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    The lawsuit hasn't been resolved yet. The lastest is that we're looking at a July/August time frame.
  • seaspotsranchseaspotsranch Member Posts: 10
    THANKS!
  • jak666jak666 Member Posts: 4
    The settlement documentation provided an interesting commentary on how these kind of things work. The woman who first noticed this problem and wanted to file a lawsuit will get a $10,000 "incentive award" for her trouble. The lawyers involved will get $9,800,000 for their efforts...

I do sorta wonder what the lawyerz did to justify such a hefty payday.... :surprise:
  • artasartas Member Posts: 18
    :sick: To start, I have to fairly new Hondas (2005 odyssey and 2006 civic hybrid). Odysseys droning noise, which has not been solved, driving me nuts, as well as being paranoid, weather anything will brake again, related to it (already power steering, brakes and A-pipe replaced). Dealer wrote on their final report "Customer reports there is a moan in the drivetrain at about 2100 RPM's Test drove several times called tech line checked like vehicle found same type condition in other vehicles need to wait for honda to poss come out with a fix for this condition"
    Guess what? Honda customer service does not see this as a problem. Condition that needs to be fixed is neglected, condition - vibration-resonance, which destroys moving or jointed parts, according to them is not a problem (but won't release this statement in written form, they'll just hang up the phone).
    Probably those two ladies tried to tell that to honda customer service, but were bounced off the wall. What was the next step - advertisement on billboard "if you been hurt call 1888nnnnnnn". I am against trial lawyers, but big corporations don't deal with individuals, just like in that ad about whats in your wallet"
    And about deviation from normal reading, why is it on the over reading side, I thought its a curve, which has similar downslopings on both sides with mean in the center, looks like honda shifted that to the right without noticing it. Hahaha. what a folk tale.
  • dartdatadartdata Member Posts: 1
    I am not a lawyer, but I am familiar with how these firms work. First, they probably spent about 2-3 million litigating the case. There are 6 million consumers which will need to be mailed court documents - that alone will cost $2 million or more. Also, attorneys have to pay experts for their reports and testimony and spend other money on research to determine that there is a problem. The case was worked on for four years, and it will be another six months to get all consumers compensated. There were four attorneys involved that spent huge amounts of time and resources on the case. They all have staffs: receptionists and other assistants that have to be paid every week. When you divide the 9.5 million by four it is just over 2 million each. Take out all expenses and there is probably $1 million per attorney profit. Assuming they lose 25% of the time much of this goes to the costs accumulated on losing cases. This means each attorney may only pocket 500k - 600k for the case. This may be alot for some people, but not for business owners with advanced degrees.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I really feel for the lawyers. :cry:
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    dartdata---huh, are you serious or joking? Hard to tell....

There is something very wrong with a process in which the consumers net very minimal gain, especially when they are designated as a member of a "Class" without their personal consent. The resources of our court system are clogged up further, adding to the backlog that already exists.

This class action is one of hundreds filed every year in our country. We have more lawyers in the USA than China has scientists and India mathematicians and Japan engineers. Think about it.

And for each such case, "each attorney may only pocket 500k - 600k"

Unless we are seeing substantial revisions to case law that further benefits society (questionable at best), a deterrent for future corporate wrongdoing (again, very questionable given this particular case), or some sort of meaningful consumer benefit (questionable is being kind), you have to question the validity and logic of the uniquely American class action litigation system.
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    That reminds me of the idiot athlete who cried that he couldn't "Feed his kids" with his paltry millions. I got 3 of these notices...they all mean nothing to me. The attorney's fees would be better spent giving free oil changes to everyone. It's just as bad as the class-action suit about the doc fees in NJ. Punitive damages are great, but they should go to a cause to help those they hurt...mainly a lot of people...not a few.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Beatuponlawyers.com is down the road thataway --> :P
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    So how do you actually test to find out if your odometer actually is calibrated poorly? it seems to me that with it being 3-4% off, you would need to go over a hundred miles to actually detect the problem...
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I just took my '05 Touring R&N on a 2000 plus mile round trip and found the odometer to be dead-on accurate.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    When you take a trip on an interstate, make note of the mile markers as it compares your odometer. Check it a while later. The further your trip on the interstate, the less 'error' you will have in your calculations.

Alternatively if you have a GPS, you can check it against that.
  • veggiegirlveggiegirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just a heads up to everyone. I got my statement indicating an adjustment had been made to include an extra 5%, but the yearly mileage they show on my statement does not equal the 5%. It's actually short by 200 miles. :confuse: Not a huge deal if you're not going over in miles, but thought I'd put it out there in case there is someone who needs every mile. Double check your statements.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Hi there,
    If you are referring to a leased vehicle, could it be that the added mieage is adjusted (weighted) to reflect the alloted yearly mileage? For the cars that were bought, I just got a notice and the 5% figure, no mention of actual miles added.
  • dlfisher1dlfisher1 Member Posts: 10
    I seems fair unless the Honda owners were left holding the bag. There were lots of these owners who didn't get much back as they had traded in cars and lost money on the trade with the resulting high mileage. Or I suppose that people like me could question why my Honda vehicle with it's now overinflated odometer is now worth $3000 less than its residual left on the lease.It was fair that they compensated me for that overage but it did me no good on negotiating a deal on another car...it's mileage was too high. I also did not appreciate that this mini van only got 14 mpg around town. There were lots of reasons that I won't go back to Honda with those allready stated as the main ones. I won't even get started on just how bad that car buying experience is there while you wait for HOURS to get to see the sales manager, then the finance manager, then the whoever manager and 8 hours later I get to leave. No more Hondas, please!
  • dlfisher1dlfisher1 Member Posts: 10
    So far, after a year and a half, it has been a much better experience than that whick was compared to the Honda. The service department is easy to deal with. The car is a delight unlike that unstable boat of an Odyssey. The car is pretty much impeccable...it's flaws are too minor to mention except for the CEL but that has been resolved. I give them an A+ on quality, comfort, AND gas mileage (21.5 tonight around town).

I suppose that I know that it may not have great resale but I do plan to hang on to it for many years to come. I don't think that my trade would any worse than being told my Honda that my lease was worth $3000 less than that residual which certainly was no incentive to buy that car outright as I have this Santa Fe.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I believe the most accurate is the date of manufacture to see if your car is included. The date that Honda stopped using that faulty odometer. You can find the info label at the driver side door frame, together with F/R (cold) tire pressure. It is not recall so I don't know whether you probably will get feedback on that if you register your VIN in www.honda.com

This is absolutely Quality Control issue. Honda has to be responsible for whatever parts they decided to use from contracted suppliers. 4% lack of safety side is big, a matter of life loss if the air bag deploys 4% later or the brake lags 4% that jump off the cliff/bridge. Odometer 4% faster is NO big deal but that sends a signal to consumer that Honda quality is going downhill, like the infamous tranny issue 99-03 Ody.

I personally feel Honda is unwise for mounting "very low ratings on *Will You Buy It Again*" tires on my 08 Pilot (traded-in 07 Ody, you know how I like the Ody now. Actually I want Highlander as they both nice car but the Honda dealer gave me Ody trade-in price $3,500 more than Toyota dealer. Can't argue with that). Tire is Noisy and Poor Handling. Honda may blame it on the tire suppliers, however they won't be mounted on my 4 wheels if Honda used some better tires. Honda might save some money (don't know how much) but sacrifying consumers complains on it.

The old days Honda slogan "The Car That Sell itself" is no more valid.
This discussion has been closed.