Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• butchlbutchl Member Posts: 1
    My expedition has 119,000 mi..2 weeks ago the transmission seemed to slip from 2nd to 3rd gear. It has gotten worse especially when it is warmed up. I had the fluid and filter replaced yesterday...they said they found metal shavings. I took it to a tansmission shop and they said the computer doesn't know which gear to put it in, possibly due to metal fragments on the sensor. I am awaiting a second opinion from AAMCO. I am wondering if I should just go to the dealer. Any advice????
  • deanctdeanct Member Posts: 10
    I had my 04 expedition for almost 4 years. My transmission problems started at about 28k. I would hear and feel a loud clunking noise when the truck would down shift at about 40 mph and also on the highway. when I brought it to the dealership the first time -- they told me it was normal and showed me a service bulletin stating that no repair should be made. It's been back a total of 5 times so far. I brought it to two transmission specailsts who said there was a definate problem with the tranny and Ford still said that their tech. expert could not find a problem. So, after almost 4 years, I got so fed up, I traded it in for an Armada. What's really annoying is that Ford reimburses dealerships for these types of problem. Why would they let you drive around in a $50k vehicle that clunks all the time. So much for a credible service department -- Whaling City Ford, New London, CT
  • neveragainfordneveragainford Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 07-I called their service center and filed a complaint. I made it very clear that if it wasn't fix (whether that be replacing the trans or giving me a new vehicle) I would be filing with my state department of transportation-Lemon Law. :lemon: It seemed to work. The dealership contacted me within a week. My 07 has been running great ever since with no other problems (Knock on Wood).

I will say this, because of this experience I will never buy another new Ford ever again. The next vehicle I buy will be a Toyota!
  • bmoenartbmoenart Member Posts: 1
    My problem sounds similar to some here, but a bit different, my transmission just started in the last couple of weeks, 81K miles, it's problem, when shifting from park to drive it takes 2-3 second to kick into drive, or when passing it hesistates 2-3 second again before kicking into passing gear. The automatic shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd seems to be fine and no hesitation, and manually shifting from drive to reverse or visa versa is fine, no hesitation, it is just from park to drive, and when using my passing gear. Fluid is up and clean. I have heard it could be a modulator/valve??? Any suggestions, thanks....Bill....
  • dalmedadalmeda Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Expedition new in late 2003. It only has 16000 miles and the tranny is messed up. 16000 MILES! Now it wont go in reverse. When i put it in reverse, it goes forward as if in drive (almost ran into my washing machine). Warranty just expired last November so now its going to cost me $3200 for parts and labor. Any suggestions or similar problems?

Thanks for your time

Danny
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    danny sounds like the forward clutch is welded up and the trans will have to be rebuilt but im sure you can find it for less than 3200.00 i think someone saw you coming
  • withinspecswithinspecs Member Posts: 1
    we have been having the same problem w/ mine. they have updated the chip a couple of times, but the problem has never been fixed. would you mind telling me what dealership you went to so that we can call them to find out what the dealership told ford the problem was inorder for ford to pay to replace the chip.
    thanks for your help!
  • lugster84lugster84 Member Posts: 6
    My 4x4 light started flashing after momentarily engaging 4wd and towing a boat. Any thing I can do to determine the cause before I take it in? Also, how do you change the bulbs on outside of the mirrors, little red signals on the very end of the mirror, EB trim?

Thanks.
    if your 4x4 light is flashing have your vehicle scanned at a local trans shop that does free roadtests and diagnosis specifically the GEM module you will likely come back with a contact plate code normally out of range which means t-case motor MAY have to be replaced. as far as mirror lights got me
  • mgrifin79mgrifin79 Member Posts: 1
    I am leasing a 2007 two wheel drive EB Expedition(not an EL). I got it in February of last year and have just hit 18k miles and the truck almost bucks when starting or stopping and hesitates between gears on the highway. Most of my miles are highway miles, I dont tow anything. Its depressing to think that I could have a big issue on my hands at under 20k miles for a 45k sticker price truck...Im glad its only a lease, beautiful truck inside and out, but it doesn't seem like it will be very reliable... into service I go... :sick:
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First thing to know about this trans on prior to 07 Expeditions is that transmission fluid MUST BE CHANGED ever 30k. or 3 years.

As for trading for a Toyota, check out the Camry forum, so man trans problems with the 6 speed that CR has removed their "recommended" rating.

Mark
  • wnixwnix Member Posts: 4
    Anyone with original transmission problems still having troubles? Mine has been in several times and never seems to act up while at the dealer. They have been great and given me a car rental but I want the truck that I paid over $43,000 for to work and not jump and buck everytime I accelerate or slow down. I am real tired of it and am getting ready to give it to Ford... sad thing is that I love my EL other than the way it messes up while driving. I have almost 28,000 miles and am really scared of the problem not being resolved before my 36,000 warranty is up. Any advice? Has anyone Lemon Lawed theirs and what was that process?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's interesting that Ford doesn't seem to require doing anything to the transmission fluid - I just went through 110,000 miles on the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and only saw periodic checks of the fluid level being recommended.
  • kingpin3177kingpin3177 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Expedition as well and I live in Austin. What did you do about your problem? I have taken my car to 2 different dealer ships and they both say they have done all they can. Did you file paper work for the lemon law? If so, how did it turn out and do you have any contact info for the attorney.

Thank you
    ACK, sorry, thought this was the same as the F-150.
  • qgaitherqgaither Member Posts: 1
    I started my truck today and tried to shift into drive, and nothing happened. i finally realized that my gears are one off, meaning when it shows as 'r' it is in park, when it shows as 'n' it is in reverse, when it shows as 'd' it is in neutral, etc..

has anyone experienced this? i don't know much about cars, and i'm afraid to drive it....it is the holiday and nothing is open.

i drive a 2001 ford expedition xlt.
    take it to a transmission shop and have the "MLPS" checked and or replaced this sensor tells the pcm where you have the shift lever selected so the computer knows what to do
  • joew3joew3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 expedition and have had it in the shop 5 times for the transmission problems and taking it in tomorrow for the sixth time. It has a hard shift, when coming to a stop, it shifts hard and surges when it down shifts. This is very dangerous because you don't expect to be depressing this hard when coming to a stop just to overcome the surge feeling. If you aren't aware of it happening, you may be 'surge'd' into the car in front of you. they keep telling me that this is the way this transmission works and there is nothing they can do, but the have also had the Ford expert come to do the software down load because the chip set would not take it the normal way and it had to be hand loaded (so I was told). After a couple of weeks, it goes back to doing the same thing. Can anyone tell me what can be done to get this fixed once and for all.
    IMHO you should call a lawyer, I had a customer with the V8 Explorer, same trans, and even replacing the trans didn't keep the problem from coming back. We basically ran out of parts to replace because nothing provided a permanent fix. The customer ended up getting a new vehicle through the lemon law process. This seems to be very rare though.

Mark.
  • jfratjfrat Member Posts: 2
    When you say they had to replace the whole chip, is that the PCM? I am having the same transmission problems with my 07 Expedition and just called the dealer to bring it in a third time. The first two times they applied the same TSB (080413A) but this did not fix it. When I asked about replacing the chip they told me that there isn't a chip to replace - that the only thing that could be replaced is the PCM.

thanks

Jane
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
    Lemon law the truck. It is not hard and you do not need a lawyer. Look it up for your state, fill out some forms. I did it on my 07 Expy because of the brakes. I got a 08 and have not had any problems-knock on wood!
  • jfratjfrat Member Posts: 2
    I can't use the lemon law because I didn't buy it new. I bought it from Carmax. When I went online and read about Georgia's lemon law it specifically states that you must have purchased the car new.
  • joew3joew3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. The Ford engineers have been looking at my 07 Expedition for three day (so far and in addition to the las time I took it in) and after actually talking with them, they say they can't replicate the problem (don't know how long they drove it), but they keep telling me that because my wife drove it, it is re-learning how I am driving it (relearning for 3 weeks is very slow for a software to respond???). They also asked about what I have been towing (since I have a hitch), and I told them that I have only towed a small light trailer and if towing something/anything causes this to go into a new learning mode for three + weeks and hard shift and surge forward when downshifting like itt is, then this is also not a very smart or good system. They are very resistant to replace the TCM or PCM and when I commented about the 6 times bringing it in and the Lemmon Law, they mentioned that if they start replacing parts, it would not be good for Ford when/if the Lemmon law might be invoked.
    I would not wait anymore. File the paperwork for the lemon law! It's fords problem to find/fix the problem. Get written statements from friends/family stating they feel/hear the problem. That's all you need.
  • cynnamon1978cynnamon1978 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having similar problems with my 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition - the hesitation before kicking into passing gear. Took it to AAMCO this morning and was told I needed to replace the torque converter - $2300!!! I'm outraged. My husband and I just bought it cash from a private party last August. I guess that's what we get, huh?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I'd look for a different trans shop. I had a transmission completely rebuilt in a 2000 Suburban a few years ago for $1600. $2300 for just a torque converter is nuts.
  • macndbmacndb Member Posts: 2
    i i have a 99 expedition ED 5.4 liter v8, the cruise light blinks, then the service engine light came one, made an appt for next week, now the abs light is on, and tonight on the way home when I put it in drive it makes a small whining sound, and does the same in reverse, I have lost no pressure, power, or it has not cut off or stalled - The monster runs the same as before except for the noise it will eventually stop after driving about 5 miles, i have the tcc solenoid to be replaced does anyone have any other clues or ideas of what this problem is. I have been told so many things my brain is swimming in a pond of anxiety.
    Thanks
    MACNDB
  • dg73dg73 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 expedition 4x4 4.6 ltr, I can only drive in reverse, it will not engage in any other gear. I have had several suggestions(guesses) about what is wrong but I wanted to see if anyone here might know.
  • chumpy77chumpy77 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 EB Expedition and it clunks in a major way when I put it in reverse and it also clunks when slowing down to a stop. Almost as if the tranny is trying to catch up with the downshift and make a painfull "Clunk" just prior to stopping. I brought it to my local shop and they checked it out and couldnt come up with an answer.
    Anyone else ever have these issues? AM I in for an expensive visit to a Ford dealership?
  • macndbmacndb Member Posts: 2
    have you notices your over drive light blinking when you start up or switch gears. Mine started acting up about 5 months ago, took to ford they charged trans fluid and did a flush. it ran good for about 1 month then it started acting up again. i tow a camper and ford dealer said my camper was too big. found out that trans sensor went up causing tranny cooler to malfunction which led to my CLUNKING since the transe was slipping going into low/1st gear. My repair bill cost me $3369.00 which included a jasper trans, new cooler, and new starter, but i have a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty, mine is a 99.

the mechanic told me to as soon as the O/D light starts blinking to get it to a repair shop. ITS NOT OK TO BLINK.

check around your area for repetuable mechanics. Ford dealer wanted almost 6000.00 to do the repairs listed above.

also make sure you run your vin to check for open trans recalls, too

thanks
    MACNDB :D
  • OdieF15OdieF15 Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with 79,000 miles. Two days ago, I noticed that the transmission attempted to shift to 3rd gear... but would not engage (it dropped into Neutral). When I added gas, the RPM revved up to 4500 RPM when the transmission finally dropped back into 2nd Gear. It drives and shifts smoothly in reverse, 1st, and 2nd gears with no abnormalities noted. With O/D OFF selected or "2" selected on the shift selector, the car drives in 1st and 2nd gears only... up to 60 MPH at 4500 RPM. I replaced the Transmission Fluid and Filter... all looked clean with only minor micro-dust size particles in the fluid and a nice vibrant red color. Does anyone know what else can I do before sending it to a Transmission Shop for a costly rebuild or replacement???
  • bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    If my '03 Ford Expedition sits for several days, and the weather is about freezing or colder, when I start it and shift into gear, nothing happens for maybe 5 seconds. Then once it engages, all is fine for the rest of the day. 39,000 miles. This only began to happen this year, and I've owned it since new. Is this a first warning of something expensive in the near future?
  • yathinkyathink Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems with my 2004 Expedition. By driving it and not paying attention to the blinking overdrive light, it cost me over 2 mos. time in the shop and eventually a new trans. Mine started at 20,000 and they finally replaced the trans at 55,000. there were 6 times it went into the shop replacing only the planetary gears. Now I;m having problems with the new trans. and only have 1,500 miles left on the warranty. I'm checking into the lemon law since I bought it new and there isn't an additional warranty on the reconditioned trans that was put in two months ago! Pay attention to that light, it is telling you the problems have just begun!
  • DpolkDpolk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 EB Expedition with trailer towing package. I have a dramatic "clunk" as I slow to a stop. Have you had any luck diagnosing the problem?

Doug
    You need to take it in. That problem has been talked about a lot. A slight tip in bump is normal, a clunk or bang is not. It's the tranny shifting into first, which happens around 3mph or less. There are TSB's on this.
    (2003 Expedition with 40,000 miles) This afternoon after driving in AWD for 2 1/2 miles, mostly downhill, I got to a stop sign. In a moment there was a break in traffic so I pressed on the gas. It was as if the truck was in neutral. Nothing happened for several seconds. Then it was ok.

So what is going on? What sort of big bucks to repair?
    I had similar issues with my 07. I had the trans reflashed back in July and no issues since. I also had the delayed downshift to 1st gear. The reflash completely changed how the trans behaves and has been a huge improvement.
  • black07limitedblack07limited Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you ever figured out what was going on with your expedition. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I have taken to the dealership a few months ago and they said I was just trying to put it into gear to soon but it is much worse now. Do you have anything that will help? Thanks Dee
    My son suggested that I check the transmission fluid. After driving more than the 20 miles the book says, I checked. No fluid showed on the stick. I had to add about 8/10 of a quart. No more problem, but I suppose I should wonder where the fluid went. I park on gravel, or snow, and see nothing underneath.
  • kbarkhousekbarkhouse Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT and it has started clunking when it goes into the last gear overdrive. It does not clunck when I do not have it in overdrive (towing mode). This problem just started. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause and possible repair.

Thanks, Kbarkhouse
  • macfive66macfive66 Member Posts: 1
    Once I take off in my exp. the OD light will start blinking and after getting to about 2500 rpm's my tranny will slip and and then I can move to nuetrel or to 2nd gear and it will go again. There's is no vibration nor clunking going on. I was told it could be a bad ignition problem, can this be possible? Or what can i do to fix it?
  • wnixwnix Member Posts: 4
    I have taken my '08 in for the clunking and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. Did you specificalls ask for the flash and what about the downshift to first gear? I had an '07 and had major problems and finally traded it for the '08 in August. It ran great and totally different than the '07 until about December. Now I feel like I am back in the same vehicle!! I wish they could eliminate 1st gear all together!! Please let me know your suggestions.
    I requested to drive with a technician before I brought it in. Once he saw what was happening and I asked him a few time "do you hear this? Do you feel that?" They called the hotline and reflashed the TCM and PCM. They referred to TSB 082207. Performed Operation 082207A.

This made a big difference. There is still a slight bump when coming to a stop. But it's very slight and is normal for these cars. I was having a BANG when coming to a stop when the tranny shifted from 3-2 at around 10mph.
  • delirious1delirious1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 99 EB 5.4. I have never had to use the selector knob to shift the transfer case into 4 hi or 4 lo. I bought 2 new rear tires because of a incoming snow storm. As I leave the lot everything is normal. I take the highway ramp, and all of a sudden, I get a hard shudder from underneath the front end. I have been 4 wheeling in my jeep and have manually shifted a 4x4 t case, so I know the feel of 4 hi offroad.The 4x4 selector knob was still untouched & I was on the street, I head back to the tire place, the the service guy said after test driving it, he felt it was due to new tires on the back, and the all wheel was trying to compensate for them. I bought 2 MORE tires, no change. I had my expy towed 200 miles home, and my mechanic visually checked it and removed my front driveshaft as a temporary fix. Has anyone had or heard of this happening? It feels like you are driving in 4 Hi after you get up to about 35 mph, and then it randomly happens after the 1st trans shift.
  • jbobroskijbobroski Member Posts: 1
    Today while driving I noticed my O/D Off light come on. I also noticed my vehicle was leaking reddish/pinkish fluid which I would assume is transmission fluid. I have figured out the exact spot where this is leaking from. Also though while driving later I had problems getting the vehicle to move from a stop in drive. I had a light come on about Check Electronic Throttle Position. Is this all related to the fluid leaking into the engine? I am afraid I need to get a new transmission. I know nothing about vehciles and don't want to get taken by somebody. Has anybody had a similar problem?
    I think that if you follow the instructions in the manual for checking and filling the transmission with more fluid, your transmission will work just fine. Mine started doing what yours did, and I was down more than a quart. Filling it solved driveability, though I have not yet done anything about the leak. I doubt that any of this is related to the Check Electronic Throttle Position message, but I do not really know.
  • boffinsboffins Member Posts: 2
    We're seriously considering purchasing a used 2006 EB 4x4 with about 34K miles on it. The car was previously a rental in Hawaii and then was sold at auction. A new buyer in WA purchased the car and only owned it for 8 mo before trading it in--he had brought it in to the dealer because the car was misfiring and stalling (at a cold start and on the highway). Supposedly faced with a $2000 repair, he traded it in for a compact (although who only buys a car for 8 mo?). The dealership made the repairs (and has given us copies of the work done), but we're wondering is this engine problem likely to be a long-term problem, or will it most likely be fine for the long term. If it matters, coil #4 was replaced as well as the cam phasers. It also looks like a couple of gaskets and the camshaft sensor were also replaced. Otherwise, this is the only time this vehicle has been in the shop since its first owner. The Ford warranty expired in January. This will be the only vehicle we have that we can fit all 4 kids (in carseats!) in so reliability is key. Thanks and we look forward to your advice!
  • stressedmomstressedmom Member Posts: 2
    SInce new we have experienced slipping problems with our transmission. From a dead stop, the vehicle will jerk couple times before going. When trying to accelerate, the accelerator can be depressed all the way down and the vehicle won't go any faster. We have taken the vehicle in many times and was first told the computer needed to get used to our driving. Now they say that cannot replicate the problem to get a code. They also cannot visually inspect the trans because Ford's policy requires them to get a diagnostic code before repairs can be made. Anyone else having this problem? :mad:
  • stressedmomstressedmom Member Posts: 2
    With the problems we are experiencing with our 2008 Expedition, think really hard about it. I traded in my 2007 Honda Pilot for the Expedition because of the same carseat issue as you and I've been facing nothing but problems. I have taken my vehicle in several times and still cannot get the problem resolved. We are now at the Lemon Law stage. We have also mentioned to Ford that there is a safety issue as I was almost involved in a serious accident with my newborn in the vehicle. Thank goodness the other vehicle reacted to avoid the accident. The dealership here in Hawaii is on my side but their hands are tied due to the policy setforth by Ford Motor Company. When children are in the mix, it is my opinion that Ford is not a good choice. I should have listened to family and friends who advised me not to go with the Ford Expedition.
    I don't believe mine ever had a trouble code. I just called and made an appointment describing that I was getting a delayed 2-1 shift and occasional hard/harsh downshift out of o/d, plus the occasional clunk when coming to a stop.

They had it for a full day and reflashed the ecm that controls the trans and it has pretty much been flawless ever since. The reflash was done around 30k miles and I now am close to 50k w/o issues. Once in a while I'll still get a harsh downshift out of overdrive, but it has only happened maybe 2 or 3 times since the reflash last July.

The 07's have a TSB for the reflash, don't know if it applies to 08s. So far I'm very happy with my 07 Expedition. My previous Suburban didn't mess around with bad shifting, it went all out and puked a whole transmission at 45k.