Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• jrochelle08jrochelle08 Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend bought a used 1998 ford expedition 2years ago. To say the least there has been several problems and a lot of money spent on this vehicle. Just yesterday the truck started shaking as we accelerated in speed as well as declining in speed. We thought it could be the transmission or lack of transmission fluid but there is 3/4 of fluid in there. We don't know what the problem is and $$$ is short is there a possiblility it could be a wheel alignment problem because the wheels do need to be realigned or maybe air needs to be put in the tires. I'm not a car expert but this is the only vehicle we have and we cant afford for something real serious to be wrong.... :confuse:
  • mlh2mlh2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was really wrong with your expedition? We are now having the same problem. It is giving us the same code, but the mechanics say it is anything from the selenoid to torque convertor or maybe neither. Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • 02ex02ex Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Expedition - 5.4, 4x4 - the speedometer needle is jumping all over the place - when i start it while still in park the needle jumps around sometimes it buries itself at 100mph - while i am sitting still. I had a mechanic run diagnostics on it yesterday and ended up replacing three sensors - one at the end of the transfer case near the trans, one at the back differential and one on the top of the trans - if seemed fine yesterday but today the needle still jumps around and when you come to a stop sign it dies. I drove it around the block all was okay till i stopped and turned the motor off but left the key on - the needle jumped around buried it self at 100 and then the motor died.

has anybody seen this problem - after a google it seems it may be common but i cant find a solution.
  • 02ex02ex Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Expedition XLT - 5.4L, AWD [with 4x4] and a dancing sppedometer needle. when you turn on the key the needle begins to jump all over the place, regardless of whether you are in park or driving down the road. When shifting from park to drive there is a slight jerk - driving donw the road the needle jumps all over the place and then when you slow down there is a surge right before stopping and the engine dies - with the key still on and the engine off the needle jumps all over the place - dances between 85 and 100 and then stops

when i go to start it it takes a few tries and then does it all over again - sometimes the 4x4 light comes on - sometimes the OD light comes on -

a mechanic did diagnostics yesterday and told me it was sensors - he replaced 3 of them - one at the back differential, one at the transfer case near the trans, and then one on top of the trans - it seemed to work fine for the short drive home but then today it died several times when excelerating and or stopping.

What to do?
  • nogovmotorsnogovmotors Member Posts: 1
    Ok, here goes. When I am accellerating in my 06 Expedition under moderate load the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd as normal, as the tach gets to between 2250 and 2500 RPM it tries to shift into 3rd. It will act as if it is shifting and drop 50 RPM or so and go right back to the same RPM at the same speed at least once before it actually shifts gears. It does this nearly every time, unless under very light load or heavy load during which it shifts fine. It has also taken to shutting itself off in traffic when decellerating around 30 mph. I have taken it in 3x and the dealership says there is nothing wrong. Grew up with a Dad who could tell you what was wrong with your car when you drove it in the driveway, this crap ain't right. Too bad because otherwise I love this thing.
  • 2001_exp2001_exp Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my 01 Exp. did the same thing when the windshield leaked during a heavy downpore of rain. the water got onto the electronic boards under the dash and caused all kinds of gage havoc and engine stalling. I got the windshield resealed, lost seal in 113F day in Denver, and had the cabin dried out .If your boards under dash got wet and not dried right away there could be corrosion causing the shorts that make the speedometer and other gauges flip out. When computer gets mixed signals from gauges it shuts down to prevent damage to engine.
  • 2001_exp2001_exp Member Posts: 2
    Is the check engine light coming on? It may be from a bad spark plug boot or two. my 2001 did that for a while with out throwing a code, then sometimes go away. eventually got worse and more frequent. I replaced all 8 boots for about $85 and runs like a champ. I have 163000 miles on this baby and have only replaced altenator @ 123000 mi and boots @ 161000mi. I have owned this vehicle since 23000mi. I promptly put synthetic oil in motor and tranny, get better fuel mileage, and the synthetic tranny fluid keeps the tranny cooler which saves ford tranny's! I recommend putting aftermarket tranny cooler on and synthetic fluid on all fords!
  • tawnya_stawnya_s Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this problem! This is my third Expedition and I have never had trouble until this one. The same problems you descibed and I have had it into the dealer(s) now 4 times. I have already contacted Ford and told them this is the last time or I get a new one. But the whole lemon law is a pain in the butt too! I have four kids and I am not happy at all with this. They have had my car all week and just finally got it to "act up" with a tech driving it home all week (350 miles on it) and the flight recorder on it. So now I wait too see what they "find". How's your issue?
  • wnixwnix Member Posts: 4
    I am still having the problem but have not been back to the shop. It is just such a pain. I don't know what to do. Let me know how your situation works out and what they decide to do. How long have you had your truck and how many miles???
  • stagalvstagalv Member Posts: 2
    I am totally new to this site but have found it interesting.

I am now waiting on a tow truck to show up at my house to tow off my
    2006 Expedition Limited due to transmission issues. The truck only has 27,200 miles and just went out of warranty in the middle of May, only 2 months ago!!

Of course I will speak to Ford directly about this to see if they will participate in the repairs but first thing is first. I need to find out what is wrong so it is going to the dealership for diagnosis.

The problem(s) started when we noticed a light knocking sound coming from under the truck, then rough shifting and finally slipping out of gear while doing 30mph or so, reving up and then slipping back down into gear.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks,
  • stagalvstagalv Member Posts: 2
    As further input to my initial post:

My car was taken to a dealership. They diagnosed the problem and don't know the exact cause but gave a rough estimate of $2500-3500 to fix it. I kept my cool, called Ford Customer Care (huh!), they reviewed my record and gave a final decision that there is nothing Ford will do to assist in the repair cost$.

I was told that was their final decision and there is not further appeal process to Ford. This makes me very bitter. I buy American and look what I get. A transmission that only lasts 27,200 miles and then a company that will not even assist after the warranty just expired 60 days ago. I told them a Yugo would last much beyond that! Very bitter and I hate to say it but no more Fords!!!!!!!
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
    That is very poor of Ford.

I would look for a reputable transmission shop and either rebuild yours, or put a used one from a wreck. There are many of those transmissions out there.
  • dmb3dmb3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 99 Expedition with the same motor, and I am having the same exact problem with my trans ....it will only go in reverse, I was curious to see if you ever found out what the problem was or how you fixed it.... your reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • spuds55spuds55 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Expedition EL and get the same thing, sounds like a rock hitting the underside of the truck, bangs in reverse, pauses before shifting gears. Been to 3 dealers and they reflash the computer and its goos for a couple of weeks, then the same thing. They also said its a new style transmission (magntronix or something). What else have you done?
    Are you sure they followed this? Take it back.

TSB 08-22-7

11/10/08

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)
    FORD:
    2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.
    ISSUE
    Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
    CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.

NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

a. Using IDS:

(1) Open Toolbox.

(2) Choose Powertrain.

(3) Choose Reset KAM.

(4) Then Choose TCM.

b. Using PDS:

(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:

a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

c. Repeat Steps (a-b) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.

e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.

g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.

NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.
  • gokart66gokart66 Member Posts: 2
    Fellows,

I appreciate your help on a 98 expedition which causes aloud banging noise from the transmission area while under hard acceleration. The fluid is clean and filled correctly. The truck shifts fine and drives fine under normal acceleration, but when you try to give gas in order to pass or get off in a hurry from the pack the trans. does some serius banging.
    Thanks, GK66
  • jdotjdot Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have an 01 expy. and the truck will not go into gear unless i crawl under the truck and un-plug the tranny position senser wires, witch does not bother me as much as the fact that the truck wont start again when you shut it off, unless you crawl back under the truck and plug the wires back in............ has anyone ever had this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it. thanks alot in advance for your help
  • prettypattyprettypatty Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem! I went to Lemon Law Arbitration and the Ford Rep totally lied and the Judge believed him. I have since put Ford on Notice of a Dangerous and Defective condition. By doing this, I have put Ford on the hook if this condition creates an accident. So, if anyone does get into an accident because of this condition, you can now sue Ford because of me.

Please feel free to do this yourself. I only have 6 months left on my lease and I too will never again buy a Ford product. Between myself and my husband we have owned approximately 8 Ford vehicles. If this is the way they treat loyal customers, I don't want any part of it! :mad:
  • bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    So the Ford rep totally lied: what did he say?
  • 95cane95cane Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Expedition XLT that will not rev up past 3500 RPM's. It happens while in park or driving. I was passing a car on a two lane road when I first noticed it. Once it gets to 3500 it feels like a governor is in place and it will rev between 3000 and 3500.

Any ideas on what would cause this?
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    Truck bought new and only have 14,000 miles. The other day after a trip of about 400 miles, noticed a slight scraping noise from underneath when accelerating usually below 30 mph.

Only does it for split second and don't notice any slippage, just the odd noise. Doesn't do it every time so dealer probably won't be able to replicate.

Any ideas before we take it to dealer?
    Figure out how to make it 'scrape' consistently. Then take the service rep on a test drive. It's not normal. There is a TSB for a sqawk noise on hard accleration at around 30mph, but it sounds like a belt slipping, not scrapping. Could be related though. Here is the info for that.
    TSB 09-6-1

04/06/09
    6R75 TRANSMISSION - SQUAWK NOISE DURING
    POWER/FORCED DOWNSHIFT

FORD:
    2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-19-8 to update the vehicle model years and remove the production fix date.
    ISSUE
    Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles equipped with a 6R75 transmission may exhibit a squawk type noise during hard acceleration down shifts (4-3), (5-3) and (6-3) downshifts. The noise is produced during the release of the overdrive clutch.

ACTION

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Follow Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01B to replace the overdrive friction plates.
    WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
    IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
  • highsidehighside Member Posts: 1
    after using my 4x4 in reverse I switched it over to 2wd but it will not go back to 2wd instead it is still in 4wd, it is driveable but when you release the gas pedal the rpms go to idle no matter how fast you are traveling, help thanks
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Actually it may not be driveable. If it is stuck in 4WD and you make tight corners on dry pavement you are risking damage to the drive line. Sounds to me like the transfer case shift motor didn't move out of 4WD.
  • spud1wspud1w Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a delayed shift from 1st to 2nd (Slips into neutral) on my 03 Expedition 5.4L 4x4. Just took it to my repair shop today and nothing shows on the codes and obviously it won't act up for mechanic. (Intermittent issue). He mentioned it may have to be reflashed at a Ford Dealership. How much did your reflash cost?

Thank you,

Spud1W
  • spud1wspud1w Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a delayed shift from 1st to 2nd (Slips into neutral) on my 03 Expedition 5.4L 4x4. Just took it to my repair shop today and nothing shows on the codes and obviously it won't act up for mechanic. (Intermittent issue). He mentioned it may have to be reflashed at a Ford Dealership. How much does a reflash cost?

Thank you,

Spud1W
  • arrowstararrowstar Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 5.7 L (Big V8) 4 wheel drive Ford Expedition with 21,000 miles on it. In the past 4 weeks it has started having a hard downshift as you slow to a stop. It feels like it is the final shift down to 1st gear but it may be 2nd. It always happens before you stop. There not any type of surge or acceleration. I am just worried as to when the thing is going to break and how do I fix the problem. If any of you have experienced this problem please respond. Thanks in advance for your help.

:confuse: :sick: :lemon:
    The first problem is that you have the only 5.7L ever put in an Expedition. Based on the age and mileage, you are still under warranty, no?? I am no tranny pro, but I'd think more of the torque converter than the tranny.
    AlwaysFord

Thanks for the reply and you are of course are right on the engine size. 50 years ago I would have that burnned into my brain. I built dragsters back then, But that time and extreme interest in cars has long pasted.

So you think the torque converter may be the issue. To me that sounds better than the transmission. Since the torque converters performance is very involved with the fluid in the transmission do you think changeing the fluid and filters would help the situation?

The truck is in warranty but I am always supicious of the parts changers at the dealers. I shoot 1000 yard rifle competition with 2 master auto mechanics. We end up on long drives together to the matches. They share many stories with me about the happenings in their shops. Unfortunatly they aren't Ford guys and the thing is in warranty. I will ask them about it but my son suggested I try here first. He said I might find someone who has actually fixed the same problem and maybe I have.

Please share more of your knowledge. If it is the torque converter what do you think is happening. And if you had the car and that wasn't the problem what would be your hit list of things to look at next. I want to be a smart as I can before I take it to the dealer.

:)
    There is a TSB for the hard downshift. It is TSB 082207. This will cure it. Mine was so bad it was like a sledge hammer being slammed against the frame at every stop. It will get worse if not fixed. The TSB reflashes the TCM.

TSB 08-22-7

11/10/08

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)
    FORD:
    2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.
    ISSUE
    Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION

SERVICE PROCEDURE
    CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.

NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

a. Using IDS:

(1) Open Toolbox.

(2) Choose Powertrain.

(3) Choose Reset KAM.

(4) Then Choose TCM.

b. Using PDS:

(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:

a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

c. Repeat Steps (a-b) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.

e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.

g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.

NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

082207A 2007-2008 Expedition: 1.0 Hr.
    Check DTCs, Reprogram
    The PCM And TCM,
    Includes Time To Clear
    KAM And Perform Road
    Test. Authorization Decal
    Not Required (Do Not Use
    With 12650D)
    The service interval for the tranny is 30k. I don't think a premature change would hurt, but there must still be some underlying issue. It would stink to do a premature service and mask the problem only to have it fail outside of the warranty another 20k from now. It could also just be a computer issue and a reflash would correct it.
  • foxygirlfoxygirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 eb expedition every time I start from a completely stop the truck makes a very hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Any ideas?
    Yes - take the truck to the Ford dealer and have them reflash the transmission memory. They can do it while you wait or they did mine. It is a 2008. It fix a really hard shift problem.
  • jstrong1100jstrong1100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Expedition with 53,000 miles that I bought used so I had the transmission fluid changed. After driving for a while I noticed when taking off from a stop it accelerates slowly then the transmission grabs and acceleration increases. It feels like either the torque converter is slipping or the transmission isn't downshifting from 2nd to 1st until you accelerate away from a stop. I've seen several messages that indicate shift problems can be fixed by taking it to a dealer for a reflash. Is that the recommended solution for this problem?
    Yes

Ford told me that the transmissions work fine and are durable. What messes up is the communications between all of the systems in the drivetrain and the transmission. The transmission learns how you drive and adjusts it shift pattern to your style or the terrain you drive on. So if it gets confusing inputs it starts shifting strange/funny/weird.

My problem started after a serious 4 wheel experience when I unexpectedly got into off road wet conditions . I was having to clean the mud out of the tire tread by keeping the tire speed above 40 mph while going about 5 mph. There was much stopping and starting. After that the transmission jerked.

They re flashed it in a few minutes and you would think it was a new car.
    The tranny is a 4R100 which is used in the F250. There isn't much you can do in an Expedition that even comes close to what it is designed to handle.
  • jillymillyjillymilly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition. Love it, it's been great (I've been driving Fords for 32 years). It had a rebuilt Ford-certified tranny put in it 2 months ago due to an accident which blew out the original transmission.

I parked it today to run in and get a taco. Engine was on, as my son was in the car with the a/c on, listening to music. After sitting there for five minutes, it suddenly started to move, and it rolled into another car! Damage was minor, but I'm wondering was this my fault and I merely thought I put it into "park" or could it have shifted into drive somehow? Do these transmission ever shift by themselves with the engine on?

I appreciate any help any anyone can offer. To say I'm upset is an understatement--because I don't know if I had a lapse in brain power or if my car is safe. Comments?
  • bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    Report this to the National Highway Safety people. If they get other complaints, it could lead to a recall. Ford did have a problem like this with their passenger cars back maybe in the 1970s. This government agency is in the spotlight now for not handling Toyota's problems better, and they won't want to get behind the curve again.
  • nick012nick012 Member Posts: 3
    we are having this exact problem. our expedition has begun hesitating and i am finding it hard to accelerate. we dont have too much of a problem getting to 40 mph. but as soon as we want to go 50 or above or into 3rd gear our suv seems to have such a hard time getting there. can you tell me what the problem was for your expedition?

my husband just changed the fuel filter and tested the fuel pump. all is fine there.

thank you in advance for your time.
    How many miles on it? Have you done a tranny service? The interval is 30k.
    we are at 98,000 miles. we have never had it serviced yet. but we haven't had it too long either. any suggestiosn as to what it may be?
    The fluid breaks down over time, which is why they have service intervals. There is also a filter in the pan that needs to be cleaned / changed. I would ask a Ford dealer to pull the records on it and see what has been done. You may get lucky and the previous owner may have had it serviced by a dealer. Or you may strike out. Can't tell until you try. In any event, I would take it to a dealer and have them do the trans service. Better done at adelaer because they power flush the lines and get all the old fluid out.
    Sorry for my bad spelling at the end there....one other way to tell if it has ever been serviced is by the presence of a rubber plug in the bottom of the pan. It is assembled with a plug in one of the holes (dip stick hole maybe?) and during final assembly the plug is pushed out of the hole and drops into the pan. If it is in there, then it has never been serviced.
  • pagtarappagtarap Member Posts: 10
    Guys, I bought this car January 2010. 2 months after I noticed car having several "jolts" before it comes to a full stop. Went to the dealer, i was told they need to chexk transmission. Anybody had this kind of problem before? thanx
    The dude answered you in the other forum before you posted this, I'd say he is pretty spot on with what you described and since there is a TSB it deosn't sound like it is too mysterious.
  • zerotrannyzerotranny Member Posts: 1
    Just received word from Ford that they will not honor damages and transmission from a similar incident which happened to my family. Our 2008 King Ranch jumped and rolled from park into reverse while running. Thankful that no one was injured. Ford road assistance sent a tow company to take vehicle in to dealer ship and it happened to the tow driver also.

We had transmission problems in June 2009 and the dealership "fixed" it under warranty, funny now that there is body damage and we are close to end of warranty they are washing their hands. The pros from Ford have never contacted me, my wife, or the tow driver to get our information either. It ain't over!
    Call your insurance company and tell them what happened. They may go after Ford.
  • nathaliecnathaliec Member Posts: 3
    I started having the exact same problem today. I have a 2007 Expedition EL and I'm the only owner. I had the transmission fluid service done at 30K (albeit not by the dealer) and 58K (by the dealer). I'm now at slightly more than 60K and this morning I noticed that my transmission was really sluggish going from a stop into accelerating or going from Neutral into Drive. It's fine in reverse though. Then a few minutes after that, my transmission start "sticking" at about 40 MPH and I'm afraid to drive my car faster than that. I pushed it to 45 MPH and the gear didn't change over from maybe 3rd gear to 4th gear? And my RPM is stuck at 3000, will go to close to 4000 if I push to 45MPH. I drove straight home and called the dealer. The service rep told me it sounded like a coil needed to be replaced. He said there are 8 coils and if one goes bad, you get the exact symptoms I described. I have an appointment to take it in in the morning and they said it would need to stay there all day. I forgot to ask for a price range for that type of repair.

Reading the previous posts on this forum, I also realize that the slight bump that I get sometimes switching from Neutral to Drive wasn't just my bad driving, it might be part of the problem? This was very intermittent and it started several weeks ago. I just didn't think much of it.

The only warning signal I have been getting is the Low Tire Pressure Warning because I'm missing a TPMS and I'm not paying over $300 to get it replaced so I just override it all the time. I don't ever tow anything.

I can't find any information about "coils". Can anyone confirm that I'm not just being told a B.S. story because I'm a woman and if you had a similar problem and got it fixed, how much did it cost you? I still have 2 years of payments on the car! Grrrr.
    good morning .... i am sorry to hear you are having problems ... have you recently had mis fires on your coil pack? that was our first issue of many to follow .... you have 8 coils under your hood that ignite your engine and keep it running ... when those coils misfire your vehicle will have the problems you described .... we had 4 of our coils misfire (go bad) and they were approximately $50.00ea and my husband was able to do them himself .... we had a check engine light eventually come on and it told us which coils were misfiring so we only had the change the ones we knew were bad ...

then no too long after that happened our catalytic converters needed to be replaced {the isues you are having now are similar to what your describing - our suv didnt wanna go it has no power at all and took forever to get to 40mph} on both the drive and passenger side which is a pretty penny ... we were told this normally occurs due to the coil packs misfiring .....

good luck ... from researching on the web it seems like these issues are issues many people face who own an expedition .... i hope what we have endured helps you diagnose your issues much quicker than what we endured ....
    Your issue does not sound like a coil pack problem. Coil packs generally will give you a check engine light, especially if it is as extreme as what you say it is doing. Coil packs are usually good for 100k or more, over time the boots will degrade and the spark will arc to the motor rather than to the plug which is what will effect performance. There are thresholds for what will set a CEL message, and intermittant misfire may not do that, but if they scan the computer it will show what it is storing. An autoparts store will scan that for free so you should be able to double check. Your problem sounds more like a torque converter or transmission problem as you suggest. The fix could also be as a simple as a reflash of the control module for the transmission. I believe there is a TSB for a reflash concerning the bump you describe.

BTW, A coil pack from the dealer will run you around $90, from an auto parts store around $50, and on ebay you can find a set of 8 for $90. Other users in boards I follow have reported great results with the ebay purchases.