Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 New Owner Reports

Comments

• toddr3toddr3 Member Posts: 19
    Just want to say that this car is well worth the wait, for those of you still waiting to receive yours. The car in AMAZING!!! It is extremely fast and very fun to drive. The options are well worth the money as they add so much to the driving experience. My friend has an 07 IS350 and this car blows it away in every category.

Just my two cents...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks, Pat.

The reality is that I don't care, but it sounds like one or more of these other folks would enjoy exchanging ideas with those well-established boards.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • dafinmandafinman Member Posts: 8
    Scott, I'm the same guy whos been talking to you about zaino over the past few days. I hope things are going well with your new car. I just thought I would mention my experience cleaning my car this weekend. I was claying my car and when I hit the urethane film the clay bar stopped. I got a couple of really nice scuffs on the film now and I still haven't got all the clay off the edge of the film. I don't think it's a good idea to use clay on the film. I'm hoping I can get the scuffs out my only consolation is that I can remove the film but it's really not that bad just hate anything on my new car. I think you know what I mean.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    LOL
    Well, guess what...
    I was washing and claying MY car this weekend and found the same thing. :blush:

I have no scuff marks on the film itself and I know the film is safe to clay, but the edges... watch out for the edges.
    Claying against an edge causes the clay to get caught, and it's an absolute ***** to get out. :mad:

Looks like we've both learned from experience. ;)

I'll say this though...
    Dawned, washed, clayed, washed, Z-5'd, Z-6'd,and then Z-2'd twice.... HOLY CRAP, what a shine! :D

I "dawn"ed and waxed my wheels too.
    The stuff the dealer used on the wheels was capturing brake dust badly.
    A quick coat of wax on the wheels has resolved that issue as well.
    Yeah I'm up to the z-5 step but will not be receiving the Z-2 and ZFX till today. I plan on putting down a z-2 and coating with the z-CS I'll let you know how that goes. Probably will wait til Wednesday because it is suppose to rain here tomorrow.
  • jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    Sweet! Just make sure to break it in. It may kill me but I will follow the break in rules very strictly to make sure this car lasts as long as possible. BTW, I just got news of when my car is actually going to show up. I'm looking at May 11th, give or take a little. I wonder if I'm going to celebrate this anniversary in a year?
  • sacg35sacg35 Member Posts: 3
    amazing car. You will love it. My last 2 cars were a 2000 BMW 328i and a 2001 BMW 740i. The G35 is just as good if not better so far in most areas.
    "Just make sure to break it in."

Ya know, when I buy my daughter a new toy, it usually does a little something while checking it out in the store, and when you get it home and out of the packaging, there's a little plastic tab that you need to pull out, and then the toy has full capabilities.
    For example, the toy may play one line of a song, but when the tab is pulled, the whole song plays.

I wish my G had this little plastic tab, which is not to be pulled out of it's little slot until proper 1200 mile break-in is complete.
    This car WANTS to be driven, and keeping it below 4K ALL the time is a feat that even Mother Teresa herself could not accomplish. :)
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Yeah...that first break-in period is tough...but trust me, it will go by pretty quick. Besides...it's ok to occasionally "slip" on the gas and go above 4k ;) Just keep it withing the limits most of the time. But after the break in....have fun. I have to really watch myself sometimes on the empty freeways...before I know it I'm around 120 and it's just coasting :blush:
  • toddr3toddr3 Member Posts: 19
    Is there a break in period? My dealer is telling me that they run the engines for a few thousand miles before putting them in the cars so there is no break in period. True? My gas milage is awful.. 11 mpg in the city and only 20mpg on the highway with icc on at 80. Does it get better?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Depends on your driving habits...I haven't gotten better than 19 so far...didn't you read the reviews?? It is notorious for lousy gas mileage. Jack rabbit starts don't help and I've found that frequently it's difficult not to wind it up, even in city traffic.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Your dealer should try reading the manual. I really hate it when salespeople, who should be the expert on the vehicle, know less about their product than the consumer.
  • bs55bs55 Member Posts: 15
    Getting a clear bra on my new g35 soon. Didnt get any added protection from the dealer. Should i go to a detail shop to get a paint sealer or wax done on it before the clear bra is installed.

Or is the clear coat that came with the car enough?

Or should i get the sealant and wax be done after the clear bra so that there is wax on the clear bra?

Thanks
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Hi everyone,
    Just out of 04 TL and I have to say this car is GREAT. Better than the TL in almost EVERY way...even the stereo (TL has dvd-a) Hard to drive slow, first gear (G35S Auto) really wants to be wound out. I wouldn't want to race this same car when I'm in my S2K (At least highway). TL would be a waste of gas. Best in class for the $..hands down. 335 overpriced, IS same (And too soft), TL-S too slow (And being redone next year) Just my 2 cents ! !
    The film installer will be sure to clean and prep the area where the film is being installed.
    Feel free to treat the film like any other part of your car.
    It can be washed, clayed, polished, sealed, waxed, etc.
    Just don't drag a clay bar across a seam... that's messy and touch to clean out. :(
    "Just out of 04 TL and I have to say this car is GREAT. Better than the TL in almost EVERY way...even the stereo (TL has dvd-a) Hard to drive slow, first gear (G35S Auto) really wants to be wound out. I wouldn't want to race this same car when I'm in my S2K (At least highway). TL would be a waste of gas. Best in class for the $..hands down. 335 overpriced, IS same (And too soft), TL-S too slow (And being redone next year) Just my 2 cents ! !"

Couldn't have said it better myself! ;)
  • crkline2crkline2 Member Posts: 20
    I picked up my G35 Journey Sedan with the performance tires, navigation, and premium packages in late February. My commute to work is 6 miles, so I don’t have many miles on the car, but here is my brief review.

I like the exterior shape and the performance tires do make it look a little beefier (a good thing). I also very much like the look of the interior also – aggressively refined.

The engine is a delight, both in sound and in horsepower. I had an Audi A4, which I really liked, but the power in the G35 just makes me smile every time I wind it out.

Dislikes:
    Primarily, the restrictions placed on the navigation system, music box, and phone. I understand why Infiniti did it – legal reasons, but I hate the fact that I cannot change from one CD to another that I have burned to the music box, while driving. I would have to pull over to change the CD. Oddly, I could change the CD that is stored in the CD changer in the trunk, so I am not sure why the restriction on music stored on the hard drive. I also stored a number of phone numbers, but I can’t access them all while driving. To go past the first two pages, I would again have to stop. But I could squint at my little cell phone screen, select any number and then place the call. In my mind, this restriction defeats the purpose of loading numbers into the G35.
    Other dislike is the gas mileage – I am getting 15 to 16 mpg. I drive primarily surface streets and have a heavy foot, so what can I expect.

Summary:
    I very much like this car. I think I can resolve the limitations on using the nav, music box, and phone by replacing a chip or cutting a wire. Now if only I could get the G’s acceleration AND get 40 mpg – that would be sweet!
    Congrats on the ride.
    You have some ways around your dislikes...

Dislikes:
    I hate the fact that I cannot change from one CD to another that I have burned to the music box, while driving. I would have to pull over to change the CD.

You can use the scroll wheel to scroll through the songs listed, and it will go from one CD to another as you scroll through. Yes, if you have 200 CDs, this can be tiring, but you can choose how the CDs are listed while driving to make that easier, you just can't search for songs, artists, cd titles, etc unless stopped.
    Yes, it's limited, but not completely disabled.

I also stored a number of phone numbers, but I can’t access them all while driving. To go past the first two pages, I would again have to stop. But I could squint at my little cell phone screen, select any number and then place the call. In my mind, this restriction defeats the purpose of loading numbers into the G35.

You can add voicetags to all of these stored numbers. You then hit the phone button on your steering wheel and say
    "Phonedial voicetag" and it dials.

No, you cannot dial a number using the touchpad on the navi screen unless stopped, but you can easily dial stored numbers without ever lifting your hand to the screen.
    Again, limited, but not disabled.

Once you get the hang of what's disabled and learn the work-arounds, it's becomes gravy.... and everyone loves gravy. ;)
    Hi Guys,
    My Jukebox (About 20 Cd's so far) scrolls though CD's using the tune knob while driving It's labeled folder, so I guess what they view your CD once it's in...jst like ont he flash card. My jukebox settings are on "Sort by album", and that is the result. When I had it on "Sort by artist", it worked the same..scrolling alphabetically by artist. AS for the navi lockouts when driving...the voice commands work pretty good...I've yet to try a voicetag on a phone # (Ala acura), but that would prob work well. The voice recognition is worlds ahead of my 04TL. Since we have a CF card slot (Best buy has 2 gig cards on sale this week), I would imagine you can flash this feature out with a future hack using this slot. Girlfriend's josh stone CD (Very new) is also not in the loaded CDDB....I'm guessing we'll be flahsing those to update as well. Note that the jukebox can rip using either cd-text, or the cddb..I've had to use that feature twice so far.
    Note that Infiniti does offer the download which allows you to put the song info on your card, and then load it back into the MB... for those CDs not in the database.
    Hi Scott...fancy meeting you here. Yo mean they offer on a case-by-case basis? I think you lost me. Sorry...I'm usually pretty good with this stuff.
    No, LOL
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Review this link, it'll enlighten you where I failed to do so. :blush:

Infiniti Music Box Update
    Hmmmmm I kinda like that. Seems a bit more tedious than just a total cddb update but it should get the job done.
    Thanks ! !
    This car seems to have a much larger reserve than my maxima had. My experience has been when the mileage indicator goes to 0 miles to empty it only takes 17.5 gals to fill it up. Last weekend I drove another 20 miles past this and still only put 18 gallons in; the gauge was sitting so far below E that I could see the entire empty line. My old maxima would have been bone dry at this point.
  • r34fanr34fan Member Posts: 3
    Hey, sorry to tangent off topic, but does every G35 have a rough connection between 1st and 2nd gear? No matter how I shift into it there is always a strange pop that sounds like the synchronizers are off beat. And it's only in 1st to 2nd...

Have you noticed the same thing?
    6MT?
    It's talked about in the "other" forum, so yes.
  • july349july349 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2007 G 35 MT6 coupe with only 3115 miles on it. It has used or burned just about a quart of oil in this little time span ( Oct 2006 until now April 2007 )is this normal for these cars because my other cars when purchased NEW, like the G35 never used oil at all.I`m starting to have second thoughts about the car.I`m close to retirement age, so I`m not out to race or beat the car. Any advice or wisdom will be appreciated.
    july349@comcast.net
  • r34fanr34fan Member Posts: 3
    Watch out july349 - Be sure to place your posted inquiry in the appropriate forum otherwise scottie123 will correct you with his supreme sarcasm.

Thanks for all the help scottie. Drive safe.
    Not sure where that came from.... :confuse:

July, I have not heard of any reports for what you are seeing.
    I'm just hitting 550 miles, so I can't really compare mine to yours.

If you're a quart low after 3K, I'd at least ask the techs at the dealership when you bring it in for your first oil change.
    As for having second thoughts... you have purchased a damn fine automobile, and that engine isn't sitting on Ward's list 12 years in a row for nothing.

It was a solid buying decision, and there's most likely a very good explanation as for why the oil is a quart down.
    Did you by chance check it upon delivery?
    Oh, I get it now.... I'm a little slow in the morning.

I wasn't saying that you were in the wrong forum... just that it has not been mentioned here.
    There are other G forums, which we cannot link you to from here. I can however, tell you what I have heard.

Some of the guys are talking about some quirkiness between gears, especially 1-2.

If it's a 6mt, a lot of the guys are saying that it takes a few thousand miles to break the clutch in and shifting the G smoothly also has a real learning curve for the driver.

If it's an auto, the tranny contains Adaptive Learning, which basically means that the car learns your driving style and adapts to it.
    This also can take a few K to get just right, and the tranny, both MT & Auto, will smooth out.

I've got 550 on mine now (auto), and it shifts like butter but still snaps my head into the seat everytime I slightly touch the gas.
    Still getting used to it.

Sorry about that... I didn't even notice you're new to these forums.
    Most of the people here kinda know what I mean by "the other forum" by now.
    No sarcasm meant at all...I had 3 seconds of free time last night and that was all I had time to pop in. :)
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    If it's an auto, the tranny contains Adaptive Learning, which basically means that the car learns your driving style and adapts to it.

My research skills are surely not up to par as many here on this site. I have learned some amazing stuff about the car and have been linked to lots of other great informative sites. But this is one that I've never heard of and was wondering if you could expand on this adaptive learning and where I can get more info on it.

Thanks in advance
    and dont say it's covered on the "other forum" LOL ;)
    There used to be a page on Infiniti's site that went into detail, but it's no longer an active page... figures.
    Anyways, in the brochure, in the back section under POWER, there is a blurb about the auto-trans.

Automatic - Electronically controlled 5-speed automatic.
    Driver adaptive learning algorithm senses driving style and adjusts automatic shifting accordingly.
    Manual shift mode offers sequentially selected manual gearshifts and Downshift Rev Matching.

BTW, this is nothing new but it is something that has been improved on. A lot of cars on the road offer this. In fact, it was part of my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Piece of crap, btw)
    I had a speed sensor in the transmission replaced once, and it took months for that thing to start shifting correctly again.
    The Adaptive Learning takes time to learn... and takes longer if you're always in Manual mode.

I think the "other" forum gets a lot more traffic, and for that reason, it's a swimming pool of info.
    I just try to take some of what I learn there, and share it here.
    I hoped to find you some useful links, but unfortunately, searching through google for this, I've come up short. :(
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks. I need to remind some of you that the Membership Agreement forbids referring people to other automotive message boards (there's a link at the bottom of the page - check it out for yourself).

We need to stop this wink-wink hint-hint stuff about "other" places, because when members pursue what that means, we have a violation of the terms of your agreement with Edmunds. You guys know that, or you wouldn't be so coy in your references, yes?

What I sincerely hope and believe is that those who learn information elsewhere do and will continue to share it here for the benefit of all of our community - and that the nudge-nudge go "somewhere else" for your answers will stop.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  • july349july349 Member Posts: 2
    I`m new at this, please give me the name and address (location ) of the OTHER FORUM. Thanks !
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Well, DUH! What is it you don't get? Didn't you read posting #87 above :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    Wanted to see if I can get any good advice from owners in what to expect at the dealership when I go in. Other than checking the paint exterior and interior for scuffs, tires and that the heated seats work. what others things should i look for. How many keys should i get, any other must have items that i might overlook???

any information would be helpful
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are responding to what turned out to be a misunderstanding. You are posting in the right place. No worries!! :)
    Hey Triple... a few things come to mind.
    You should get 2 keyfobs,and there are little Infiniti logo (Mt Fugi) keychains that come also.
    One of the keyfobs should include a little metal tag, which has your code, incase you ever need new fobs.
    Check Tire Pressure, it's high from the factory.

Chek to be sure you got what you ordered... for instance, I ordered Splash Guards and never noticed they were missing until I got home.

The salesguy should have a full check list,be sure he goes through it with you.

Good luck, and enjoy the expereience.
  • crkline2crkline2 Member Posts: 20
    Scott:

Thanks much for the helpful hints. I had figured out using the scroll wheel work around. That works okay, but as you pointed out not ideal if you have a lot of CDs on the hard-drive.

I have not used the voice commands a lot, plus I forget who I entered voicetags for. :) But that is a problem with my memory, not the G35's design.

Again, I do like the car a lot.

Cliff
  • davidr11davidr11 Member Posts: 7
    I love this car (for all of 3 days that i now have it).
    One question is regarding a small jump or "jackrabit" type motion when pressing the accelerator pedal to start moving.
    Especially - making left turn at the intersection while waiting for a light to change, etc.. , but i now learned to ease on the pedal to minimize this affect.
    I've read some posts regarding this in these cars, but wanted to know more, if others experience same.
    2007 G35X AWD

Thanks,
    David
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    David, Yes everyone experiences that, I have two suggestions

1.) The gas pedal is drive by wire and is hinged at the bottom of the pedal, Not a metal bar coming from the top of your foot. Acceleration should be a flexing of the foot at the ankle with your heel secure to the floor board at all times. You heel also needs to be SNUG against the bottom of the pedal so you are not accelerating with your toe, you need to have your sole of your shoe FLAT on the entire pedal. This is usually where most people go wrong, they are driving with their toe or leg and not the ankle. The reason for this is you are probably sitting too far back. Move your seat forward 2", I don't know the car your coming from but moving an extra 2" up might feel cramped... ignore it for a bit, it will feel comfortable after a few miles and you forget about how it feels. 95% of the population sits too far back, especially those that drive sports cars for some reason feel like they should be barely able to reach the pedals and steering wheel.

2.) The car comes race-style, the adaptive learning system needs a few hundred miles before it understands how you like to drive on a regular basis. so keep at it and it will get much better. one it learns you, and you learn how it works. you will be astounded at how great the precision of the DBW system is.
    Wow - Thanks for Great hints.
    I will follow up on both.

Thanks again -
    David.
    Is it a good idea to keep the intelligent key in the key port while drviving ? Does it matter ?
    Thanks,

David.
    Nope, it's only there for convenience. I keep my in my pocket at all times.
    Right, but is it (key Port) not used to recharge intellegent key battery ? I can not seem to find any info about key port in the owner's manual.

Thanks,
    David.
    no recharging, the keyfob takes the standard liion batteries and needs to be replaced (batteries not fob) just like any keyfob after 4-6 years.
    Got it ! Thanks again.

David.
    From the Manual:

INTELLIGENT KEY BATTERY DISCHARGE
    If the battery of the Intelligent Key is almost discharged, the guide light of the Intelligent Key port blinks and the indicator appears on the dot matrix liquid crystal display.
    In this case, inserting the Intelligent Key into the port allows you to start the engine. Make sure that the key ring side faces backward as illustrated. Insert the Intelligent Key in the port until it is latched and secured.
    Pull the Intelligent Key to remove it from the port.

NOTE:
    The Intelligent Key port does not charge the Intelligent Key battery. If you see the low battery indicator, replace the battery as soon as possible.
  • mgk5mgk5 Member Posts: 2
    Does any of you know how to change display on liquid display screen? Before it used to show how many miles left till empty, now it shows outside temerature. I dodn't know if I pressed anything that changed it or does that change outomatically? thanks
    P.S. Absolutely love this car
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Just a guess here, but since no one else responded, I figured it can't hurt...

Is there a button on the end of your turn signal stalk? That's where it is on my 330Ci.
This discussion has been closed.