Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Nissan Rogue

mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
edited April 2014 in Nissan
Starting A Discussion on the new 2008 Nissan Rouge.

What do you like & dislike about this SUV ??

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    First of all its spelled the Nissan Rogue, not Nissan Rouge. If a host could fix that it would be great.

I like how Nissan is offering a similar sized alternative to the Xterra and from whatever I see the Rogue has everything it needs to compete. I'd choose it over everything in its class except maybe for the RAV4 and Equinox/Torrent because of their powerful engines and performance. Just gotta say I don't like the name Rogue much.

Some Rogue links.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/28/2008-nissan-rogue/

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=118987
  • mrmister2000mrmister2000 Member Posts: 86
    The Rogue looks like a definite contender. The styling seems quite nice, it's made by a manu with a great track record, and apparently it will have all the same available options (nav, high-end sound system, leather interior, etc.) as the Murano.

One thing I don't like? The estimated pricing. From what I've read, it's likely to start at $27K for a base, 2WD (ouch!) and go up to $38K for one that is fully-loaded. Is Nissan joking? With new contenders from Mitsubishi and Hyundai, Nissan needs more competitive pricing if it wants this truck to become a strong seller.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    This vehicle is ugly. I guess thats in the eye of the beholder but it is my opinion. It looks like a Hyundai. I'm sure those prices are wrong as that is exactly where the Murano plays. I don't think the CR-V is an attractive vehicle either but it is much better looking than this thing. The Rav4 seems to have the right combination of performance, looks, and quality.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that it will be priced right, especially as it is only being offered with the 2.5 engine. The CR-V only comes with a 4 cylinder and stickers for anywhere between $21 and $28K, and if Nissan is going to start at $27K and go from there, people will either a) just buy a Murano or b) go straight to the Honda or Toyota dealer and pick up a CR-V or RAV4.

It doesn't help that the Hyundai Tuscon can be had for less than $27K either...
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    From what I've read, the Rogue will start at about 20k and go to 25k loaded. It's a good choice for those who like the Murano but want something a little smaller, cheaper and with better MPG.
    After reading about the 2007 Altima, I'm feeling good about the Rogue. The Altima with the 2.5 4cyl and the CVT is rated 26/34 mpg. Given the Rogue's extra weight, if it can manage 22/30, I'll be happy. About the only other non-hybrid small crossover to hit the 30 mark is the Honda CRV.

And the 2.5 is a good performer. The Rogue may turn out to be a strong entry in the small crossover field.
  • spinzspinz Member Posts: 8
    Regarding the price, I've read everywhere that the price will start at $20K. That would be a joke if it starts at $27K. But I wonder if it will actually have a nav available. There was no mention of it from what I read.
    sounds more reasonable, especially if it'll only carry the 2.5 engine... That'll make it closer to the CR-V than RAV4, considering that the RAV4 offers a V6 and a third row while the Rogue and CR-V do not...
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    Looks like Nissan is positioning the Rogue as direct competition against the CR-V & the 4Cyl RAV4.

I like the style of the Rogue, Not that crazy with the CR-V front end, & Hate the back door with tire on the Rav4 :mad: !
  • charlieb53charlieb53 Member Posts: 25
    Although I am not crazy about the styling and I think they could have found a better name the Rogue,it is something we are going to consider as we are going to replace my wifes car later this year.The other contender is the new Jeep Patriot.I have had 7 Nissan products going back to a 1974 Datsun B210 and each one was almost indestructable.I just dont know what took Nissan so long to enter the small SUV field
    My wife may get a new CUV this year too. She prefers a V6 while I like the economy of a 4cyl. Our candidates are the Edge, the new Vue, the CRV and maybe the Rogue.

I like the Patriot but she'd never accept the cheap interior. And I'd have durability issues with the Jeep.
    Right now we have a Mazda Tribute with the V6.When we bought it in 2001 gas prices were not an issue.I can see why she would want a 6 because of the performance.But I guess the days of low gas prices are gone.My old Chrysler van was a 4 with 100 (maybe) horsepower.It got us where we wanted to go.I agree with you also about the reliability issues of the Jeep.She likes the style of the Patriot and because it looks like it may be roomier.
    Is the Rogue engine the same one thats in the Altima?
    Does anyone know where Nissan is going to build the Rogue ?

USA, Mexico or Japan ? & What Plant ?
    I would rule out Smyrna, as Symrna is already overflowing with product.

My best guess would either be Mexico or Canton, Mississippi.

Japan is doubtful; Honda and Toyota both build their small CUVs in North America now.
  • mrmister2000mrmister2000 Member Posts: 86
    That's good to hear. They must have mistakenly printed Murano pricing in the article I had read about the Rogue. High 20's fully loaded seems competitive with others in its class. I've been reading conflicing info regarding such things as an available Nav system. One source says that it will be offered, while another says it will not.

Personally, I like the looks of this vehicle. To my eyes it looks a lot like the new Santa Fe, which I also like quite a bit. It's a pity that Nissan still offers a pultry warranty, though. Competing brands such as Mitsu and Hyundai offer much better warranties on their vehicles.
    I like the looks too. It's a clean design and flows nicely. One gripe about the new Vue is the design is too busy. Too much clutter.

From what I read, the 2.5 is a strong engine that gets good mpg. And the CVT works well in the Altima. The 3.5 would kick butt but it would steal thunder from the Murano.

IMO, the Rogue will be a direct competitor to the Honda CRV.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Living here in PHX, I was sitting at a light and this small SUV pulled up and I knew it was a test mule, it had lots of wires all over it. When they got in front of me, they had Nissan, Rouge blacked out with black tape, I followed the guy until the next red light, I got a good look at it, I really like it, and I think I'll have to check it out. I have a 07 Versa, that I love, but the Rouge is about the size of Xover Im looking for, My lease is up in July of 08.
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    You missed a great photo opportunity. Your photo of the Rogue could have been on all of the spyshot websites. If you see it agin be sure to get a photo.
    I have taken many a spy shot, but lately I have had a lot on my plate to think about this stuff, Hopefully next time I'll just use my phone and take a video of it..

Tony/PHX,AZ
  • brett2007brett2007 Member Posts: 39
    I'm really excited about the Nissan Rogue, especially if the pricing/specs are accurate. I'm looking to replace my 2002 Liberty by the end of the year. I need something that get better gas mileage than the 17.4 avg mpg that I get from my Liberty now (which is in 2WD 99% of the time).

My current prospects are:

'08 Nissan Rogue - Right now this is the top contender. I really like the styling and from the early reports, it looks like its gonna have all the features I want/need (except maybe navigation) at a reasonable price. I just wish Nissan would release the final pricing/specs. It appears that the Qashqai offers a Nav. system, so maybe it'll be on the Rogue as well.

'08 Jeep Liberty - Though I am getting sick of Jeep and Chrysler's financial problems concern me a bit.

'08 Honda CR-V - Lacking a little in power, and now Bluetooth option. Will definitely be giving this a testdrive, I may be in the minority, but I like the new look of this one. Glad they got rid of the horizontal tailgate.

'08 RAV4 - I really don't like the horizontal rear door on my Liberty, but at least that has the sep. top half which opens vertically to put stuff in, or allow long things to stick out. The RAV-4 only opens to the side, which is terrible if someone is parked behind you. :(

'08 Saturn VUE - I like the new look of this, but again, no Bluetooth and no prospect of BT since GM is married to OnStar. Still waiting on the final specs, will definitely test drive it.

'08 Hyundai Tucsan - Don't know much about Hyundai. They used to be considered a cheap company, but it seems their rep has gotten better over the years. Great warranty, this one will at least get a test drive.

'08 Mitsubishi Outlander - Has a lot of features, priced well, and has a great warranty. Don't know anyone who owns one, or a Mitsu period. Have read several complaints of engine noise and mysterious rattling noises on the '07 models, maybe it'll be fixed for '08.

'08 Subaru Forrester - Gets good gas mileage and handles well. It is reasonably priced, but might be a little too much like a station wagon for me.

'08 Mazda CX-7 - Cockpit felt a bit cramped when I sat in one at the dealership about 6 months ago, but might warrant another look.

'08 VW Tiguan - Still waiting on the specs on this one. Unfortunately all spy shots had that HORRID color.
    I plan to replace my wifes Tribute for something that gets better gas mileage also.I am hooked on Nissans because I have had eight and all were reliable.My current Altima is coming up on 200,000 miles without a hiccup.I had planned on a Jeep Patriot until I read about the Rogue.It pushed the Jeep to the number 2 slot.Have you had trouble with Jeep?
    Before I bought the Jeep Liberty, I had two different Cherokees. On both the Cherokees right at about the 4 year point the AC died and the way the car is built they have to take apart the whole dash to get to the pieces they need to replace, costing thousands of dollars.

I traded in the 2nd Cherokee (for the '02 Liberty) to avoid shelling out money to fix the AC.

I bought the first model year of the Liberty and so far there have been 3 (or 4) recall repairs that needed to be done, otherwise things haven't been so bad.

I am just about at 81k, there was one transmission issue that came up at about 79k miles. Fortunately because it happened before 80k miles I didn't have to pay for that (due to some federal law), it would have cost me 2-3k, but I did have to pay $200 for new O2 sensors.

I was initially excited about the (better gas mileage) Patriot, but its been delayed for months. In the meantime I've seen other vehicles that interest me more. I have heard Chrysler has been having financial issues, so I'm not sure I want to buy another Chrysler vehicle. I think its just time for something new. I have heard really good things about both Nissan, Honda and Toyota. So I figure I'd give them a good look this time.

Before I bought the Liberty, I did test drive a Ford Escape, but I really preferred the interior/features of the Liberty. I got more of a passenger/delivery van feel from the Escape.
    Thanks for the info.I only know one person with a Liberty thats 4 years old,but very low miles.My Tribute has been OK but my daughters 2001 Escape needs a transmission.She is going to either a Hyundai or a Honda.
    I have a 2003 Tribute that I looking to trade in 2008, Want better gas mileage, better safety & styling, my short list includes:

Nissan Rogue

Hyundai Santa Fe Limited

Honda CRV EXL

Ford Escape Hybrid

Toyota Rav4 is off the list as I do not like the rear door.
    A friend of mine has a Santa Fe and he gets about the same MPG as my Tribute.Otherwise it would be on my list also.
    That's a great list of prospects. A few of my thoughts...

Rogue: Sounds promising to me too. The 2.5 and CVT do great in the Altima. The styling is slick and power and mpg should be good. The biggest threat to the CRV IMO.

Liberty: I'm not a Liberty fan. But it's the best on your list for offroad. MPG not very good. For those more interested in price and economy, consider the new Jeep Patriot.

Honda CRV: Great choice for good economy and well equipped. Those who want a 250hp V6 won't like it.

RAV4: A killer V6 that gets decent mpg. I don't like the rear mounted spare.

Vue2008: Will know more after test drives. The 3.6 V6 and 6sp auto sound great tho. Curious about mpg and pricing.

Tuscon: Great warranty. MPG a little disappointing, even with the 4cyl. Like the styling. A little porky for the size.

08 Outlander: An alternative to RAV4 and Santa Fe. Might be a case of good but not great.

Forester: Great all around choice. Decent power, good economy and the security of AWD. May be too close to "car/wagon" for some tastes. The turbo is a hot rod blast.

Mazda CX7: Great looks. Handling of a Mazda. Don't like the idea of premium fuel for the turbo. A good V6 might have been better.

Tiguan: Real excited about finally getting a diesel SUV. Styling is good, mpg should be excellent. Pricing unknown. Like the Vue, will know more after test drives.
    Right now we have a Mazda Tribute with the V6.
    ------------------------------------

Well, we ended up buying a 2007 Mariner V6 for my wife. With a $2200 discount on the D Plan plus 0% financing, it was hard to turn down. ;) She loves it, I like it ok except for the mpg.

My choice would have been a CRV or wait for the Rogue.
    I'm pretty sure that the Turbo engine on the Forester also requires premium gas as well.

Unfortunately I've seen some reports that claim the VW Tiguan is an '09 model. Sent VW an email for more info, will post if I hear anything back.

Right now I'm mostly interested in the pricing/specs/test drive for both the VUE and the Rogue. VUE is supposed to be available Spring '07 so I imagine we'll see these specs soon. Anynoe know when Nissan usually publishes the final specs of their fall-released cars?

I believe the new (Dodge-Nitro-Like) Liberty is supposed to be revealed at the NY Auto Show during the first week of April so those specs might be available soon as well. Though I'm not expecting much in terms of MPG from the Liberty. The Patriot definitely appears to be the way to go for better MPG on Jeep.

One addition that I might make to my list is the '08 Hybrid Ford Escape. After Federal rebates it could fall into my price-range as well. It looks like Ford classed up the interior a bit from when I looked at the Escape 5+ years ago, but for some reason it still looks a little cheap inside to me. (Same with the Huyndai Tucson). Maybe its the single color dash/wheel thing that just turns me off.
    I just got this response back from VW regarding the Tiguan:

Dear Brett,

Thank you for your interest in the Volkswagen Tiguan. At this time, this model is considered to be a concept only, but is being preliminarily explored by Volkswagen for possible inclusion into our model lineup at some point in the future. A decision has not been made as of yet.

If you would like to be updated when information becomes available about
    the possibility of the Tiguan, please send us your complete name,
    mailing address and email address information.

We appreciate your interest in Volkswagen.

So I suspect this means the Tiguan will not be available in 2008. If the Tiguan's TDI turns out to not be 50-state emission standards friendly then I wouldn't be able to get it in MA anyways. :(
    I was hoping the Jeep Patriot would have come out with a diesel,as I understand it the PT Cruiser in Europe has one.From what I heard it was something about emissions.
    The 2.5 Nissan engine is a big selling point for me
    One addition that I might make to my list is the '08 Hybrid Ford Escape.
    ---------------------------------

It's a matter of personal choice but I'd rather pay 20k for a conventional 4cyl that gets 30hwy than 30k for a hybrid that doesn't do much better. Granted, city mpg will be better on the hybrid.

But I just don't think hybrids are cost effective. Except maybe the Prius or the Civic. I'd prefer a diesel over a hybrid. Great mpg, loads of torque and less expensive. The TDI VW Golf was near 50mpg hwy and had a 700 mile range on a tank. That is sweet. ;)
    I agree.I live in a hilly area where a hybrid wouldnt make much sense and with the snow we get AWD is a must.A few years back a friend had a VW Rabbit diesel pickup that we drove 150 miles round trip to work.The thing ran forever.And fuel was cheap then.
    I was hoping the Jeep Patriot would have come out with a diesel,as I understand it the PT Cruiser in Europe has one.

How does this sound?... A Patriot that gets 40mpg hwy and has 250lbs of torque. Please, hurry up with the diesels!
    Well the Liberty Diesel didn't get anything CLOSE to 40 MPG..
    Yeah, thats what I remember reading.Wasnt it something like 18 or 19?What kind of MPG does the PT Cruiser thats sold overseas get I wonder.
    regarding what the MPG is over in Europe its a much different way to calculate then what we use here in North America. Remember, in Europe thier Diesels are usally small ones, like 1.2l or 1.5l in cars of PT curiser style. But I believe in Europe the PT cruisers diesel is 1.8L turbo diesel..
    Not to change the subject but I got a brochure,actually more like a pamplet from Nissan today about the Rogue
    Well the Liberty Diesel didn't get anything CLOSE to 40 MPG..

The Liberty is much heavier than the Patriot. And the Liberty used a 2.8, I think the European Patriot has a 2.0. The 1.9 turbodiesel in the VW Golf was rated at 49mpg hwy.

If a 2.4 gas engine can achieve 30hwy in the Patriot, there's no reason a good diesel can't hit 40. With a lot more torque.

And to stay on subject, I hope Nissan offers a diesel in the Rogue too. ;)
    Didnt Nissan offer a diesel some years back in the Sentra or some other passenger car?
    Nissan Offered a Diesel in the First Generation Maxima back in the 80's, which was a inline 6, but nothing since then in the USA...

Tony
    I dont recall those but I do remember the Sentra.I just did a search and it says the Sentra had a 1.7 diesel and was available from 84 to 87.
    Thanks thats pretty good.I had forgotten that my brother in law had one of those Gm's.Got it for next to nothing
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I keep waiting...it's why I'm waiting until at least September to buy anything...I know if I just go buy an outlander or RAV4 before I look at the Rogue I'm going to kick myself when I do see it. ;)

Of course, we don't even have a "Rogue" section yet...
    The Rogue is still the definite front-runner to replace my '02 Liberty by the end of the year. I wish Nissan would release the final specs/pricing for the Rogue.

I want to see what it'll cost with all the bells and whistles and I am also curious what the fuel economy will be for the AWD model.

I really want to test drive this to see what the CVT transmission feels like, but that'll have to wait until the Fall when they finally start popping up at the dealers.

Current Nissan models have the following mpg:
    murano 19/24
    altima 26/34
    sentra 29/36

Rogue is built on the same base as the Sentra, so I would expect it to get better mpg than the larger Murano, but prob not quite as good as the Sentra since that's only FWD and probably lighter than the Rogue.

The UK version of the Rogue (the Nissan Qashqai) gets REALLY good gas mileage, prob because its based on the Versa platform instead. Although I believe it also has less power than the Rogue.

http://www.nissan.co.uk/home/v...en_GB

No matter what the mpg, the Rogue has definitely got to do better than the 16.7 avg mpg that I'm getting from my Liberty now.

For the past two weeks, Nissan has released pricing for diff '08 models on Tuesday, so hopefully the Rogue pricing will show up on nissannews.com tomorrow.
    My 98 Altima with almost 200,000 miles probably gets close to 30 MPG.And the best part is it just runs and runs and runs.My Mazda Tribute gets 17 or 18 MPG.Thats with the V-6 so I am sure the Rogue will top that.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    The Rogue actually uses the Altima drivetrain for the most part, so I'd LOVE to see 26/34, but I guess that'll depend on how heavy it is. I'm mostly curious about how the trims and options will come out as well. GOT to be better than the Outlander's setup (I HATE the way Mitsubishi does options...they're almost as bad as Toyota!).

I'd like to know if there will be interior color options besides black, too. I'm not terribly fond of black interiors...
    I know what you mean.Its confusing enough buying a car.I would think there would be a few different interior combos,at the very least the beige and the grey that everybody has.And with gas hitting 3 bucks a gallon,MPG's is a major consideration.
    With gas over $3, I'm really curious about the mileage of the Rogue. If it's better than the CRV and RAV4, it might be very successful.

Before long, many people may refuse to buy a car that doesn't get at least 30mpg hwy.
This discussion has been closed.