Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Nissan Rogue

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Can you post pics?
    Does the factory bluetooth display caller-id on the screen?
    Can you access your phone's address book and dial using only steering wheel controls?
    Can you use your saved voice tags to dial your contacts by voice?
    Does it have any kind of voice recognition to dial new phone numbers by voice?
    Is the volume and of speaker and microphone loud enough?
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    If I can figure out how to do it,I will. Don't hold your breath.
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    I finally saw the Rogue upclose and personal and I really do like it! It's not much room and just the perfect size for me.

I'm looking at replacing my 02 Sentra SE-R and I'm going in between the 08 Rogue and Sentra SE-R. I reallty do need AWD now, especially moving from CA to PA. I'm not looking for alot of space but I want to make sure there's enough room for me, my boyfriend and our dog. Of course, the dog doesn't take up that much room, he's 16 pounds. lol

And did I mention, I'm a sucker for the Indigo Blue Metallic. :P

I compared the two and with my options, For the Sentra, I'd be paying 19,400 and for the Rogue, I'd be paying 20,400.

Any thoughts ?
    Go for the Rogue.You could fold down the back seats and the 16 pound pooch would be loving it back there! Or....You could leave pooch at home and haul new furnishings for your PA. digs. It really is a great little car.
  • ticmxmanticmxman Member Posts: 48
    I sure love my Rogue it is so much fun to drive. The reports on the Rogue AWD in the snow are very good. Here is a link to some pics of a blue Rogue. http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/295667

addtional info at:http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Well we traded in a 05 Nissan Altima SE for our Rogue SL, with 2 and our Rodesian Ridgeback we have plenty of room in it for her and our luggage in the back. You wont have a problem.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Saw my first Rogue on the road yesterday which inspired a blog entry...

Rogue's Gallery
  • sheena4uk1sheena4uk1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in the Nissan Rogue SL (wicked black) I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia and have checked out two dealers prices. Hall Nissan (where I've previously purchased a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and a 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo)...their prices are listed from $26,593-$29,723. Victory Nissan in Chesepeake list for $24,410. To me, this is a bit steep considering the Kelly Blue Blue has the MSRP listed at $22,735; stating that the average price that people are paying is $22,735.

Can anyone tell me why a dealer would list their vehicles so "out there" thinking that people are acutally going to purchase them at these prices? It's been over 20 years since I worked in the car selling business and even at the young age of 17 I knew it wasn't the job for me - understand dealers are "in it" to make money, but do these prices sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Happy owners? Would you recommend this vehicle? It's only a 4 cylinder and a lot less horse power than my current Pathfinder - I don't "need" a new vehicle - just researching something that "caught my eye".

Thanks to all.
    Well, being in the business at one time, I'm sure you know that the dealer will get whatever he can out of a vehicle. He can price it anywhere he wants. If you're seriously shopping, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. An $8000 difference between the absolute base vehicle and one totally equipped with all options is very possible.
  • portercporterc Member Posts: 1
    I have just traded my pathfinder for a Rogue (Black SL/2wd). I love the Rogue. Drives and runs and rides great. The engine is silkey smooth and I like the CVT tranny. It has plenty of power for my driving style. I am leaving on a 5000 mile trip out west in March. I plan on doing some gold prospecting and light off roading. I'll post a report when I return.
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    I currently have an 05 XTerra. I like the XTerra but would like better mileage. I'm interested in the Rogue, but I have a few concerns. Is there a big difference in cargo space? I need room in the back for 2 sets of golf clubs and push carts. I also want to be able to put my kayak on top and bike on back. I live in Maine so it needs to be good in the snow. I don't do much off road driving other than my dirt driveway and towing is not an issue for me. I like the looks of the Rogue and I'd love to have the sunroof and premium stereo like I had in my old Pathfinder. I'd love to hear from people who have driven both the XTerra and Rogue or have similar driving and space issues.
    No experience with the Xterra. I can tell you that my road bike fits fine in the back with both wheels on, laying on its side and it is a large frame I'm 6' 3''. The roof rack with Yakima or Thule Adaptors should be fine for your kayak. Can't help you with the golf questions. 23-25 mpg fopr me is hard to beat. CVT is so smooth, acceleration is very good. Bose is a plus, quiet ride. The Rogue is smaller than your Xterra no doubt though.

More info and pics of racks at:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/318590
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Mya wife and I test drove an Altima 2.5 SL and a Rogue SL AWD this weekend. I really wanted ot like to Rogue, but I was amazed that the same drive train felt so different when you stip out the extra sound dampeneing, lower the gearing, and otherwise mate it to the less expensive "C" platform compared ot the Altima's "D" platform.

The Rogue was nice enough, but compared to the less expensive Altima, it was busy, choppier ride, and overall NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) was much worse than tha Altima. Other than fewer rattles and squeaks, the Rogue wasn't any better than my Nissan Versa. The interior was higher quality, but it still felt a little cheap. Similar in feel to a Hyundai Tuscon I sat in.

To be fair, the CRV and RAV4 has this feel somewhat, so perhaps I was expecting a Murano in smaller dimensions.

With 3 people in the car accelrating up a inclined on-ramp, the engine was somewhat strained and very loud with the CVT. Whereas the Altima with 5 more HP and 300 fewer pounds sailed up it with much less effort.

The seating position however was very good despite having less adjustment. This a car I'd be happy commuting in, but less thrilled for long trips. (same as my Versa)

Overall for us, spending another $4000 (after incentives) to add AWD and another 12cu-ft of cargo space (only if you stack it to the ceiling, same floor space as Altima trunk), but give up automatic climate control and a telescoping steering wheel. Wasn't worth it.

In 5-6 years when we're looking to replace my Versa, we'll take another look.
    Altimas are very impressive. The Rogue and Altima are not comparable IMHO different types of vehicles. I disagree a little with you post but we all have our opions.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I agree the Altima and Rogue are very different vehicles, but untimately are in the same price range. I think the problem is that the Murano has the V6, which makes it a little pricy, although the 2.5 in the Murano might feel underpowered in most situations. That might be a perfect application for the hybrid powertrain.... Hmmm... Nissan, you listening?

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Versa platform 1" stretched wheelbase and modified into a AWD crossover. There realy aren't any mini crossovers out there. The Rogue is the smallest. It would have around 20 cu-ft of cargo room if you take away 1/2" or rear legroom and stretch it a little, with all other interior dimensions about the same. Add 1" of ground clearance and some 16" wheels, and you'd have a winner. Weighing in at 2900lbs and getting maybe 23/30 for mileage with the 1.8L CVT, it might be popular when gas hits $5. Maybe even make it a "soft hybrid" where it has a small battery pack, the alternator is oversized, you have hub motors on the rear wheels for AWD traction and a little burst of acceleration.
  • bobalbe1bobalbe1 Member Posts: 14
    The new; or refined Murano I should say. Is a very nice and capable vehicle, but with gas prices approaching $5 a gallon and est. fuel economy of 23 mpg premium unleaded is going to be be a deal killer for alot of people. I don't know if is only in the New York area but I have being looking at different dealers and they don't have more then one or two Rogues in stock and none with leather package. But since the new Murano came out they are all saturated with Them in all colors and configurations. Is like they were anticipating tones of shoppers and went on the ordering spree.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Just an observation here, and food for thought. I wonder why they made the Rogue, out of all the Nissans, to where you could open the gas filler door from the outside? That's not smart when gas will be over $4 this summer and thefts will be at an all-time high. Versa, Altima, Sentra, and even Murano are not made this way and have unbreachable filler doors. They made the Rogue like a Chevrolet!
    That comes to tell you two things; 1-Gashgai design at heart and 2- Nissan has nothing to hide :)
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    What's that supposed to mean? Other Nissans are better protected - I don't understand your comment.
  • paltimapaltima Member Posts: 2
    Take the train (or drive) to Ardmore, PA (Philadelphia suburb). Lots of Rogues and Murano's in stock and their internet sales guy will do prices at invoice.

And no, I'm not an employee doing an advertisment! My wife and I picked up her Rogue last night. I'm like you - all the dealers around where I live (Lancaster, PA) had very little inventory and were not interested in making me a deal. So I drove 70 miles toward Philadelphia. Pleasant guys to work with.

My wife's Rogue:
    Gotham Gray Rogue SL AWD

Splash Guards
    Moon Roof
    Premium AWD Package
    Leather Package
    Floor Mats
    Rear Bumper Guard

Drove it home last night - about 27mpg between philly area and Lancaster, PA. Too bad the rain got it dirty!

Here it is parked next to my 4 year old Altima:
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I doubt the altima, sentra, versa or murano are more secure. I'm pretty sure a screwdriver will pry the gass door open or off pretty easily.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    Three words: Locking Gas Cap.
    :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Followed by these three words:

Check Engine Light.

:shades:

One of the online Nissan dealers stocks a locking gas cap for my Quest so I assume they are out there (or will be), but if the fit isn't quite right, the CEL will go off.
    It is possible that since the Rogue was introduced after the European version, the omission of breachable gas cap was a last minute design issue or perhaps parts not evailable from their suppliers. Who Knows!
  • ettengerettenger Member Posts: 1
    A recent review in a major new york newspaper spoke at length about a marked and very disconcerting amount of vibration that could be felt through the steering column. Was this just a fluke or do a significant percentage of Rogues have this problem?
    This is the only person/review to comment on any vibration. My Rogue is very smooth at all times, the CVT is different during aceleration but I find it to be an improvement over the standard automatics. Particularly if you drive conservatively.
  • adnipsadnips Member Posts: 36
    Just purchased a new Rogue for my wife Smooth as silk. No vibration at all in the steering column or anywhere else.

Adnips
  • nina_gnina_g Member Posts: 1
    First, the Rogue does start under 20K. I purchased the SL AWL for a little over 24K. I like it for the most part. I had a Maxima for 12 years & the power in the Rogue is lacking for me (going to a 4-cylinder from a 6). But, on the other side of that, the gas mileage is better than my Maxima. The ride is comfortable & I like the handling of it. The storage space is good too. Also, I really like the LATCH system for my child's carseat. Overall, it was well worth the money.
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I noticed one thing in your picture. It looks as though the entire front is now in Chrome? On either side of the Nissan emblem, there is usually body colored metal, but yours seems to be chrome there???
  • ohiobuckohiobuck Member Posts: 6
    Chrome grill is a dealer installed option. Cost is $250, I think.
    The chrome grille inserts are available from the Nissan dealership parts department for $150.00 and can be self installed.

Mike
    Great, thanks for the info. I like the look.
    I have also added the body side molding, rear spoiler and the rear bumper guard... :shades:

• ridgeback1ridgeback1 Member Posts: 2
    Very Nice!

I'm looking at a white one now, are the body side moldings and spoiler dealer installed or after market?

Thanks
    The spoiler was a dealer installed option and the body side molding is 3rd party after market.

Here is the link for the body side molding:
    SportWing
  • ridgeback1ridgeback1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

I called my local dealership, earlier today, to ask about the spoiler, they have no clue!

They've never seen a Rogue with a spoiler.

I'll call them back and let them know it's available and I want it!

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope to get mine in the next week or so.
    I have seen the rear spoiler and like the look. I think the rear bumer guard "finishes" the rear end! :blush:
    Anyone hear of any changes such as being able to get factory bluetooth without all wheel drive?
    It's bad enough to need to upgrade the SL trim, but requiring AWD is ridiculous.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    No, that what the reason why I didn't get the Rogue for myself, my partner got it because he could careless about the Bluetooth. I thought it was stupid to lump it with the AWD also. I have a 08 Altima Coupe and love the bluetooth in the car, my feeling is, that should be a standard feature in all cars.. I'm hoping nissan bring it the redesign of the Rogue...
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    just became an owner of a 08 SL AWD loaded to the gills - MSRP $28070.00, paid $25500 plus TTL but not incl $500.00 rebate using the internet for 'bids' - don't know if that is good other than it is a bunch lower than Edmunds TMV - Comments?

Agree with you about things like leather, bluetooth, and the xenons being tied to the AWD SL only - I live in Texas and would not have gotten the AWD otherwise although I do like the fact that both it and the VSC are easily user switchable. At this point obviously a bit early to tell too much about this vehicle as this is replacing an Altima but I especially like the perforated and heated leather seats as well as the XM/Bose upgrade. Heading on a long trip in it (about 1800 total miles) this week and am expecting FE something in the high 20s - guess we'll see.
  • renogeorgerenogeorge Member Posts: 9
    Where can I buy a locking gas cap for my 2008 Nissan Rogue? Would I have any problems with a locking gas cap? Will it make any of the engine lights light up? Any suggestions? Thank you.

PS I just love this car. I bought it last Friday from Pohanka Nissan in Frederickburg, VA and they gave me a great deal and we ver y nice and professional. I first dealt with them by email and they honored the figures promised on the email exactly.
    Part no. for the Rogue (and many late model Nissans) is #10508

stant.com
    I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they looked up the Stant Locking Gas Cap and after I gave them the part #10508 they said this was the wrong #. They said the correct number is 11508 and that the gas cap does not lock and they do not have any locking gas cap for the Rogue.

Any suggestions to find a locking gas cap?
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I am trying to decide between a 09 Forester premium and a Rogue sl awd premium.
    If they both have around the same horsepower why can the Forester tow 2400 pounds and the Roguen only 1000 pounds? Is this a weakness in the cvt tranny under stress?
    This is from the Stant web site:

Fuel Cap
    Regular Fuel Cap: 10838
    Regular Locking Fuel Cap: 10508

Look it up.....

Stant Part Locator
    I went to another Advanced Auto Parts store and they had the locking gas cap for the Rogue. Strange that one had it, and another did not. I bought it and it fits exactly like the one that came with my Rogue.">
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    got my rogue SL AWD in 12/07 and already have 18,000 miles on it - i commute almost 3 hours/day. the CVT is very smooooth - took an adjustment to get used to the sound and acceleration (feels like my clutch slipping), but for a 4 banger, the acceleration is very good. not as much space in the back - but again, i had a 2001 grand caravan sport, so was spoiled on that. but after totaling it on a deer here in VA, didn't need such a big vehicle to commute in (kids grown now) and wanted better mileage. on a straight, even highway, i can get up to 30 mpg. Bose sound system is great and so is having the bluetooth! before when i had the stereo blazing, i couldn't hear the phone ring. now it rings up on the radio, so i don' thave the excuse to my wife that i didn't hear her call me. Sunroof is great, ride is verrrry smooth and i have plenty of space for myself (am almost 6' and big) very comfortably. absolutely no complaints, other than they put a Class II hitch on it instead of the Class III (2") by mistake. don't need it for towing, but for a bike rack - which aftermarket from etrailers works great. plenty of comfort and room for myself and my wife - and even for the two adult kids riding in the back; just can't take as much junk as we used to in the van.
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    just came back from a 2100 mile round-trip from VA to FL with 4 adults, 5 suitcases and 2 duffle bags ( we were driving down to Port Canaveral for a 5 day cruise - definitely the way to go, given airlines are now penalizing you for carrying more than one suitcase!!!). used a samsonite soft-top on the roof-rack. a little tight, but comfortable enough for th 13+ hour drive down and 15+ hour drive back (coming back, took two days) absolutely no problems with acceleration loaded down - for a 4 cyl. - and loaded down, averaged about 22 mpg (with poor wind resistance because of the soft top). in 100 degree+ weather in FL, A/C worked great and didn't seem to tax the engine at all; lots of positive comments from people thinking it was a Murano (i tell them it's the Murano's younger brother, that takes REGULAR gas, not PREMIUM!, and better mileage). absolutely NO mechanical problems at all during the whole trip.

Pluses: very good mileage; very good performance for a 4 cylinder loaded down (remember, this is NOT a Honda Accord V6 with 6Manual!), CVT worked wonderfully - with not a hitch and smooth acceleration, fair comfort for 4 adults (of course, previously we were spoiled with a Grand Caravan Sport, so not fair to compare), XM radio and bluetooth were great.
    Minuses: a little cramped, and difficult to pack (what do you expect for the size), bottomed out a couple of times (we were probably maxed out on the GVWR), but no damage other than a scraped bottom of trailer hitch, wished the back seat would recline, wished for extra power plug in the back,

rogue now has over 22,000 miles since 12/07, and no problems. took it to oil change after trip and all they recommneded was replacing the air filter (which looked fine to me, so i told them i'd replace it later)
  • unresolvedunresolved Member Posts: 7
    I have a new Rogue with about 360 miles. I was just wondering if anyone has a feeling for how accurate the MPG indicator is on the trip computer. It seems to move around without much consistency. It has been as high as 27.2 and as low as 21 when going on an expressway without the AC on.
This discussion has been closed.