Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please use this discussion for repair issues on your newer (2007+) Wranglers. Thanks!

Comments

• steve09steve09 Member Posts: 2
    Excellent!!
  • smoscatosmoscato Member Posts: 5
    Don't know if this is the right board to put this Q, but what the hey...Just bought a 2007 4-door Unlimited Sahara last weekend. I'm finding that at freeway speeds, the truck bounces up and down a lot as if the road were very bumpy -- kinda makes me car sick :( This is my first Jeep -- is this typical Wrangler behavior, or do I have a tire balance problem?

Would appreciate any feedback.
    -Stefano
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's not typical for the previous model, and the suspension layout is little changed for '07. However, I believe that spring rates and shock settings have been altered to give a more car like ride. It's definitely not a typical description of a tire problem.

A certain way to check is to see if you can drive a similar model to compare behaviours.
  • smoscatosmoscato Member Posts: 5
    I'm definitely not experiencing a "car like ride." I suppose I should go back to the dealership and see what they have to say. Thanks for the feedback.
  • boobahboobah Member Posts: 18
    Hey there,

I ran into a guy who had the same problem..I can't remember what he called it...Jeep told him it was normal...he thinks it's a suspension problem, and is pretty nervous driving at high speeds...I'd go back to the dealer and raise hell..a car shouldn't do that anywhere, but especially on a highway...Good luck.
  • 2climbbig2climbbig Member Posts: 20
    I have the 4dr and do not have this problem. It drives about as smooth as my wife's explorer.
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    I have the same jeep and have no problems with "bouncing". The suspension is stiffer than most SUVs and when I hit a bump with any speed it is a little hard however it rides on smooth pavement as smooth as anything else I have ever driven. I would think you have some problem either with tires or suspension and need to have it checked out at the dealer.
  • toostoos Member Posts: 12
    Does the 3.8L V-6 in the JK use a timing belt or a timing chain? If it is a belt, does anyone know at what mileage the belt must be changed and how much it costs to have that done?

I am looking at 4-dr UNLIMITED Sahara
  • mreipmreip Member Posts: 9
    Anyone else have a HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL between 1500 and 2000 RPM's?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My first guess would be that it is one of the belts. Anyone else?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Dealership replaced tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, throw out bearing, pushrod,and slave cylinder so far.Now the dealership is waiting on DCX to come up with another possibility. Any ideas?
    Anyone else have a HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL between 1500 and 2000 RPM's?

Stationary, while in motion, or both?
    While in motion when shifting. Revving the engine in neutral doesn't produce the noise.
    Just a guess, but it sounds like a bad input shaft (first motion shaft) bearing.
  • macthethirdmacthethird Member Posts: 1
    Getting a high pitch squeal out of the transmission input shaft bearing sounds odd... I have not had a Chrysler 6 speed transmission apart but most manual transmissions have roller bearings on the input shaft. If it is squealing, the pitch will rise with the RPM, but usually they just grind. My guess is a timing belt idler pulley. I believe there are 2 on the 3.8.
    Details over in '07 Wrangler here: mac24, "2007 Jeep Wrangler" #323, 8 Jun 2007 8:24 am
    Thanks for the info.
  • jemmacjemmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. Recently I had to have the windshield replaced because of a crack from a rock.

I went to a reputable glass place and had the windshield replaced.
    What I noticed after replacement was a high pitched noise (which sounds like a teapot coming to boil) at
    speeds between 30-45 MPH. I took the jeep back a week later
    and they replaced the windshield again.
    The results were the same only the speeds at which they occurred was 40-60 mph.
    As you know the windshield has no molding. Has anyone experienced this and found a reasonable solution?

john.
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    Just to relate to your windshield replacement situation, I had mine replaced and do not have any problems - except for what looks like a somewhat sloppy jop with lots of caulking around on the inside. Good luck.
  • clewsewclewsew Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Jeep X Unlimited with an automatic and I also have the squeal that you describe at about 1800 RPMS - roughly 2200 RPMS. The dealer mechanic said that it sounds like normal engine noise to him. I want to drive another Jeep to see if I can reproduce the noise. We shall see.
    Update:

I went to the dealer to pick up the Jeep and asked if I could test drive another Jeep to see. It made the same squeal and it was new off the lot, mine having just over 400 miles.

A good friend of mine also did some research and found that it may be some venturi noise through the intake. He said that there have even been some complaints from owners of the Mini-van with the 3.8L engine. After hearing that and experiencing the same noise from another Jeep I feel much better. May be a "character" trait of the new engine.

Hope that this helps...
  • pjeep1pjeep1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I would like know if somebody have a same probleme that me with a jeep wrangler 2007 automatique.
    when I start my engine I can change to the P (park) to D (drive) or R (revers) without push a pedal break. If somebody have a same particularity please let me know.
    Pier
    Answered in your other post with the same question as follows:

"So, is this a new Jeep with exactly the same problem as your last one?
    Just take it back to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty."
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    That is a safety problem. Take it back now!

-Paul
  • pjeep1pjeep1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    Thanks for your answer
    The Jeep is at the dealer, But I had one accident with it and the Jeep are declared scrap. And part of the reason was the interlock didn`t work

Pier
  • comkromcomkrom Member Posts: 6
    The Shifter is defective, take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
  • comkromcomkrom Member Posts: 6
    there should be spray foam insulation in the windshield pillars.Maybe the windshield repair place removed some of this foam.Remove the trim around the windshield and spray foam into openings. them TAPE all open "slots' for an hour or so foam does not leak out of slots. and then re-install trim
  • kman18kman18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I'm a proud owner of a new 2007 Wrangler Sahara, but I'm getting really frustrated with the soft top. The plastic Swing bar brackets do not stay in place on the rail, specially when I tuck in the soft top. Has anyone else had this problem? Any fixes? Also on rainy days the top leaks water into the car at the top of both doors right above the door handles, again...anyone else?
    Thanks!
  • motherofdomimotherofdomi Member Posts: 2
    Hey man. I've been having the same problem with my 2007 wrangler. The soft top leaks from both sides onto the tops of the door handles when it rains. I've brought it back to the dealer 4x and they have had it for 4 weeks this past time trying to fix it. I have recently filed a complaint with the BBB and I'm also filing a lawsuit against Chrysler under the lemon law. I advise you look into doing the same. it's obviously a problem that can't be fixed... Good luck.
  • motherofdomimotherofdomi Member Posts: 2
    If anyone has had a problem with a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top Leak, Please post a reply. The leak typically drips to the tops of the door handles on either or both sides. It usually only happens when it rains. I have brought the Jeep back to my dealer 4x and they have not been able to fix it. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and am also filing suit under the lemon laws of NYS. Any feedback would be helpful.
  • primethiosprimethios Member Posts: 1
    I am also starting to get the same drip at the front of the doors and it drops directly onto the door handles. I have had the Jeep for about 5 month but only about 4k miles on it. Up until this past weekend I have been actually impressed by the no leaks. This past weekend I half way ignored the leak becuase the top was down and a small storm came through but verified for sure last night during the rain and the top has been up for a few days that I was getting hit with fresh water. If anyone has any more info regarding this issue I would like to know. I actually feel better knowing other people are having the exact same issue becuase I was trying to figure out what I had sone differently to cause it to start leaking.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    We have been having horrible rains here in chicago. Mine has leaked in the same place very slight even with severe rain. When mine leaked bad one time was when the front was parked higher than the back (on an incline) then it poured in. It seemed to come from the little "flap cover" in that area. Sorry I don't have a fix but mine had a couple glue areas where they looked like they tried to fix it before I go it. If it starts leaking more often, I'll try to fix it myself. It's new and no it shouldn't happen but I love it to much to leave it to let them try to figure it out. With the way other Jeep owners seem to be a resourceful bunch a home fix should be up soon. I do have a very intermittent "rub sound" or bump noise in my front door when I hit a certain type of bump. I will not let them rip it apart to find it until it gets worse. I will let someone else be the guinea pig. I had a Malibu that took 3 weeks to find a problem (amongst 12 other problems). A week later the 2 hour fix was all over the internet. Do what you have to do. I do acknowledge the problem but will live with it for now.
  • bfassettbfassett Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2007 Wrangler X with 17" tires.Whenever I brake the Jeep seems to pull to the right -hard.BUT not all the time .It appears if the wheel is off line just a little it will pull to the left.Been to the dealer twice.He lined it up.HE also checked all the brakes-caliper-slides and all seemed ok. mJust seems to be uneven brake preassure when applying brakes.I drove one on the lot set up the same and it also appeared to do it.DO I have a brake problem,dealer problem or a tire issue.Also rear end sprung a leak-not sure if cover seal or pinion gear .Any advice helpful.Braking is always an adventure -never kow which way I might go.Thanks
  • zottozotto Member Posts: 10
    When I hit bumps with the front tires there is a clanking/rattling underneath the vehicle. I really only notice it with the windows and/or top down, but it's unmistakeble. Sounds like something may be loose, but this is my first Wrangler and don't know if this is normal when driving over rough pavement. It's got less than a 1,000 miles on it and has sounded like this from day 1. any thoughts?
  • donaldsdonalds Member Posts: 28
    Made a terrible mistake, put on a speed control kit and had it all back together and for some dumb reason I decided to pull the steering wheel back off, forgot to unplug the horn wire and pulled the ribbon cable out of the housing, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to rewind it.
    Anybody ever rewind them?
    Here is an update on this mess, according to the dealer service this cannot be rewound, must be replaced, cost me $488.00 to giter-dun.
    I didn't realize that cruise kits were available yet for '07s. Sounds like you damaged the clockspring.
    Price sounds a little high, how does it break down?
    They charged me $222.89 for the clock spring and $222.50 for labor. I should have just wound the wire back inside and let it snap and pled ignorance and let the warranty have it.
    Price for the clockspring is probably about right, but it really shouldn't take more than an hour to fit one.
    One thing is for sure they will not get anymore of my money.
    Like I mentioned if I had used my head and stuffed the wire back in they would not have known I did it.
  • olivejeepolivejeep Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited with half metal doors for 4 months now and I love it except... now it is in the shop for its 3rd time for leaking. :cry: No one at the dealership seems to know what to do. :confuse: When it rains the rain comes directly in through the window and on to the seats, by the time the rain stops leaking the floor is soaked the seats are soaked and anyone in the truck is soaked. :mad: This is not a drip its a pour. Is or has anyone experienced this same problem? Any solutions? Anything that could help at all?
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Hi,

Traded in my '04 Wrangler X for an '08 Wrangler X a few nights ago. Today was the first time I took the '08s top down. As soon as I got going, I noticed this rather annoying flapping noise that my driver's-side seatbelt was making. It was flapping against the inside of the car (the column that it is housed). Has anyone experienced the same?
    My wife's '07 Unlimited X also experiences the occasional flapping. I have had non-Jeep vehicles that have experienced flapping when the windows are down as well.

I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Jeep. If they weren't looking to drive on of the most fun vehicles out there, then I guess they should have just bought a Honda CRV, or H3, or Toyota FJ and settled for 2nd place at best.
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Googled it and found a discussion thread on the phenomenon:

http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-11324.html
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    If your new Jeep is like my older YJ, it is possible that the upper fabric doors are not properly aligned. My doors have never leaked in the rain, but the upper frames often have to be pulled in (toward the center of the vehicle) to seal against the roof fabric. I have seen pictures of this alignment process in the JC Whitney catalog - once you see what has to be done, it looks pretty easy to do. You might try searching the web for "aligning fabric upper doors" or similar phrases for descriptions of the procedure.

Good luck.
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I am considering buying a 2007 Wrangler X. I looked on Jeep's web site, and it is one affected by the TIPM recall for the possibility of stalling.

Has anyone had experiences with stalling, and does the reprogramming really fix the problem?
  • cwyantcwyant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 sahara and I can tell you that the recall does not work and that the dealer I have tells me that it is the way I drive that causes this. I have had many drivers take the jeep and drive it and all have said that it is a pain to drive! Get it rolling and it is a great thing to drive, you just have to get it moving. If anyone can help me I would be in you debt.
  • cowboy12cowboy12 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 Sahara. I have been afraid to touch the hardtop because so many people have complained about leaking (and I did not want the dealership to blame me). I have the car for three weeks and it did not make it through the first rain storm. Not as bad as yours though at least so far). Water has been spraying out from the middle front when I brake. Brought it to the dealer and they said that they replaced the seals, which were "updated" meaning according to the dealer that Jeep was aware of this issue. In any event on my drive home from the dealer two AFTER it rained water sprayed out the front middle again. Presumably, the dealer would have dried the area when the supposedly put the new "updated" seals on. Bringing it back on Thursday (oct 18?). I feel like it's just a waste of time. People warned me about the freedom top. At least I also have the Soft top. Good luck.
  • sarmoursarmour Member Posts: 1
    Hey I am having trouble removing the knob of my gear shift. I tried to remove it to replace it with another one and i ended up snapping the knob? Does anyone know how to get it off? Does it even come off?

Thanks
  • stu11stu11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just had this problem also. Still working on it. I just got a 2008 Sahara. Tried to pop off the shift knob but coudn't figure it out. Seems way overly difficult for some reason. Anyone able to Help??