Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• cowboy12cowboy12 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know where I can get Jeep Green touch-up paint for a 2008 2DR Sahara?
  • lefty8415lefty8415 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep Engine dies when I turn on head lights. Also When you pull battery cable of it dies, IT has a new altenater. :cry:
  • hebearhebear Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a new 2008 Sahara and I have the hard top and it leaks from the center just as yours does. I only have it 5 days. Let me know what you find out from your dealer. Would like to know what the fix is before I bring mine in.
    Good luck dealers can be a pain and nobody wants to be the guiena pig.
    I will let you know. I switched my appointment to today (Friday the 19th). It's there now.
    Dealer said that they have to order (and replace) seals. The Rep I spoke to said that practically everyone is having trouble with the hard top. He said that Jeep (Chrysler) thought that they fixed the problem with the '07s by changing some seals . . . . apparently not.

They could not see anything visibly wrong with my seals . . . I spoke to them about not wanting to make it worse and he agreed . . . . we'll see . . . .
    Stopped by my dealer today and spoke to service manager and he said wait a couple of weeks as a TSB will be issued on all 3-piece hard tops. He said he replaced seals on several to no avail and even replaced tops. He suggested I wait till factory comes up with fix. Good luck with yours let me know.
    Thanks
    If you haven't done so, you may want to check out jeepsunlimited.com forum. Some guy put weatherstripping on his freedom tops and posted pics. he said that he has not had any leaks.
    Hey. How's the hard top holding up? I had a pretty significant rainstorm over the last few day(s) and the hard top did not leak until saturday morning. In the past my HT only leaked when I braked. On Saturday morning it leaked even without braking from the same spot front middle section.
  • dldjeep01dldjeep01 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X. I have had it in the shop twice for uncontrollable shaking. The first time it happened I was on the highway in the center lane in busy traffic going around 65 MPH. The Jeep shook so badly that I thought I had a wheel fall off. I managed to get to the side of the road barely. I had it towed to the dealership and after they looked at it they said that nothing was wrong and to take it home. I did... :mad: Chalking it up to a fluke I drove it again. The next time it happened at only around 10MPH but my husband was in the Jeep with me. I thought he was going to $hit his pants he was so scared. The Jeep stops shaking when you come to a complete stop, then you can drive like normal (until the next time). I took it back to the dealership and after speaking with Chrysler they "re-torqued" the front end components. That was last week... today it happened AGAIN, also at a low rate of speed so not as terrifying but to tell you the truth as far as I am concerned I Now have a vehicle that I am scared to death to drive. Is this happening to anyone else???
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    You have what is often called "death wobble" - an ailment of some jeeps. Usually it is a result of a problem in a steering system component (including tires).
    Please look in the maintenance board for 1997-2007 jeeps and on the main "jeep wrangler" board. In the main board, search for "death wobble". The maintenance board has "dw" as a recent topic.
    It can be fixed.
  • tedward2tedward2 Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list of wrangler leaking roofs.I have a brand new 2007 Sahara soft top. Took it in 3 times so far. They are getting anoyed with me now and requesting me to go to another Jeep dealer. I'm retired, 28 years with Ford Motor Company. I jumped ship and bought a Jeep. I have never taken any of my Fords in for warranty in the whole 28 years.
    I'm taking this Jeep in every time it rains....now I got new problems when it rains.All the gauges stop working, no odometer, no speedometer,no turn signals, no interior light, no tach, no gas gauge.....so much for Jeep tuff. I cant drive it when it rains....NOT IMPRESSED
    Sorry so long on replying, But I have not done anything with the dealer as of yet. I have played with the tops and I found by just snuging up the two hand screws on the the rear of the two tops as opposed to gorilla tightened has stopped my leak so far. However I have not had heavy rains lately. Washing has not caused leaks. will check out the other forum you mentioned and see what he did. Any clue on the clunking coming from the drivers seat belt area between the front and rear door??
  • majnunmajnun Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there know how to reset the oil change alarm in a 2007 door Wrangler? The manual doesn't seem to mention anything about it, and I really don't feel like having the dealership do it...

Any help will be much appreciated...

thanks..
    :lemon: I posted earlier with problems with my new 2007Jeep 4x44dr having a problem with what is called the "death wobble" It has now been back to the dealer 4 times and the last time someone from Chrysler actually came in and replaced the steering dampener. I am still having the problem and I now have a lovely $30,000 lawn ornament. Has anyone had any luck under the lemon law for the death wobble? :lemon:
  • taylorstoytaylorstoy Member Posts: 3
    I am also experiencing this whistle from the windshield. I have returned to the dealership many times. The first time they brought in an outside glass repair guy to reseal the cauking. The sound went away but the job they did on the caulking was so bad I took it back for them to do again. This time they replaced the entire windshield and did a better job caulking but the whistle is back. The sound goes away on the freeway but is very evident around 40-50 mph. Did anyone else have some resolution with this? Since I've been back to the dealer many times I about ready to lemon law the car....it only has 5000K on it.
    In the last few weeks my Passenger Air Bag light has been coming on in my dash after a few minutes of driving. It does not go off until I turn Jeep off. Has anyone experienced this problem with their '07 4door Sahara?
    Andrea
  • spaceys13spaceys13 Member Posts: 1
    Yes..I had it and called the dealer....Quick question...did you place anything on the passenger seat. If it weighs over 5lbs (I think) it will turn your air bag off. It could be your purse. I had my brief case on it. I never even would have thought it was that!
    Guess what? It magically stopped going off. I cannot remember if I placed anything on the seat, but that doesn't make sense to me. A person would cause it do go off by seating in the seat wouldn't they?
    Chrysler has offered me a replacement vehicle... Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my wrangler but the almost being killed on the highway thing is something that I just cannot get over. I have decided to get a 2008 commander. I am waiting for the paperwork to come over and then I will drive the wrangler down and give it back. It most definitely will feel like a death march, similar to taking my dog to the vet to be put to sleep :cry: but I cannot drive every day knowing that the DEATH WOBBLE could happen again and this time my kids could be with me. I will get another wrangler soon. I dont think that a sunroof could ever replace the feeling of going topless on a hot summer day! The thing I will miss the most is the jeep wave, so if you are in Connecticut and you see a black 2008 commander be sure to wave, I am with you all in spirit!!
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    It's a Wrangler. It has a short wheel-base and is heavy. It will bounce and hobby-horse like an SOB. The new 4-doors are a big improvement in ride quality over the older models, but it is still crappy. I have driven a bunch of the new ones and they all do this. If the road is smooth, they are fine. But, add bumps and hills, and it turns into a roller coaster. Jeep has tried to make people think that the new 4-doors will make sedan people think they can get one of these as a family car, but the ride quality is terrible when compared to a almost anythng else.

They are also extremely slow. Passing on the highway is complete fear when merging into traffic. Wait until your first wind-storm.

Bottom line, this Wrangler is still a great, fun, weekend or ocassional use car. but, no substitute as a family hauler.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Sorry, my post what out of order. I did not realize I responded to such an old post.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No biggie - it's still great info to put out there.

It's a Jeep thang. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    It's a Jeep thang.

I bought my 1999 Sahara in May 2002 with the idea that I'd use it as a parade car(long story) and sell it in the fall. I had also heard all the stories about the uncomfortable ride, the unpredictable handling, and horrible HVAC system. Well, we ended up selling a very clean Pathfinder SE and keeping the Jeep. No, it doesn't have Lexus levels of NVH or BMW agility, but it certainly isn't a penalty box. I've since fitted Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT tires, Bilstein HD shocks, and Hella E-Code headlamps which have made the beast an even better all-weather vehicle. Aside from the familiar TJ radiator and exhaust manifold maladies, the Wrangler has proven to be quite reliable and inexpensive to run. Taxes, registration, and insurance runs less than $500/year, so I'll probably keep it for a long time.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• recon79recon79 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2007 4 DOOR UNLIMTED. I have had the death wobble 4 times now each time I take it in last time they replaced the stabilizer and now they said the only way to fix it is to replace parts that are not under warranty and I have to pay this is a lease jeep what can I do. in north carolina lemon law applys ideas welcome
    thanks
    Also...makes no sense that ANY part on a 2007 (unless you added it yourself and voided the warranty) would not be covered leased/purchased cash/ financed it... please elaborate so that I can help you... my email address is dldunphy@comcast.net if want a quicker response.
  • recon79recon79 Member Posts: 2
    Talked to the dealer and Crysler today again and we have worked out throug the dealer that it gets fixed at no cost of I get out of lease it has been 4 weeks of this but I did nothing everything stock on the jeep. hope it works out dealer thanks for the response . dealer doesn't want it known it is a lemon live in small town
  • betsybugbetsybug Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I have a Wrangler X 4-door manual transmission with 22k miles. At 17k miles I started hearing a whistling noise when idling. I called the dealer to make an appointment for service in early December. In the few days between calling them and the appointment, I began to notice the whistling sound even while driving (especially accelerating). I could make the whistling stop by barely touching the clutch pedal. Also, in the lower gears--1 to about 4--while accelerating I noticed a sputtering noise (almost like a leaf stuck in a fan) that seemed to be coming from directly behind the glove compartment. Also, when I tried turned the ignition, it would make a popping, clanking noise. It became difficult to shift gears (especially to reverse). I made it through several days of these problems to the appointment, and they told me that the throw-out bearing needed to be replaced. After ordering it, I waited nearly a whole month before either the part could come in, or before they could fix it (who knows?), and then when the part came in, it was the wrong part in the box. (??) They ordered another one, and I waited again, assured that this problem would not leave me stranded: "It might get louder, but it won't put you down."

Well, something else did put me down. The Powertrain Control Module went out, and Chrysler paid for towing nearly 300 miles. While it was there, they finally replaced the throw-out bearing, and when I went to pick it up, I noticed immediately that the clutch seemed extremely loose compared to what it was before. Before this, I felt resistance as soon as I touched the clutch pedal, but then it was nearly to the floor before I felt resistance or could even move the shifter. If possible, the clutch was TOO responsive. They assured me that it was the way it should be and that mine was never right. "Your problems started at the assembly line," they said. They explained that the throw-out bearing was "sitting crooked" and that was the reason the clutch had so much resistance before. They told me to take it home (an hour drive) and let them know if I just couldn't get used to it, and they could possibly adjust the clutch.

I didn't have to go back to get the clutch adjusted because about 6 days later, the whistling noise and all its company returned. So I took it back. This time they replaced "everything above the throw-out bearing"--whatever that may be. I drove home, 65 miles, and it started again. It's just as loud as ever, and does it all the time, as opposed to sporadically the first time, and a little more often the second time.

The Chrysler representative is supposed to come run a diagnostic test this time (it goes back tomorrow morning). I find it strange that they've not done that yet, anyway. I've read some other forums where people said they had this trouble, but haven't found a solution. Is anyone else having this trouble, or can you offer any advice or hints?

Sorry it's so lengthy!
  • kimber67kimber67 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the exact problem with the same results from the dealer. I have given my case to CAMVAP & have a hearing in a couple of weeks. Chrysler says they have no other experiences like mine. I also have an issue with the dash lights coming on and then my jeep doesn't start. It is currently in the garage for the 16th time. I only bought my Jeep March 2007
    I have tried accessing ther maintenance board for the repairs as suggested but I amhave having trouble. Can someone please post the exact link so I can try to acces that way?
  • shaunasshaunas Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 Jeep Wrangler pops out of first gear. There is a loud bang and the entire car shakes when it happens. Unfortunatly it's random, and because the dealer can't duplicate it, they won't fix it. They suggested it might be "user-error"; however it happens to both my husband and me, and only in our Jeep.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this fixed, and what this might be from? I keep thinking I'm hitting something when I hear that bang, and I don't feel very safe, especially when clutch pops out of gear in the middle of an intersection.

I'm hoping also, that people with the same vehicle and the same problem will post so Chrysler *might* be more inclined to fix this problem.
  • flynlevelflynlevel Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Wrangler dows the same; the problem started around 5K miles, and is getting worse (now nearly 10K miles). Only in first gear, pops out with a loud clunk; dangerous if your pulling into traffic. At first I thought it was user error (just not putting into gear all the way), but having had several thousand miles to focus on it I'm sure there is some weakness in the machine (not to mention, 20 years and a million miles on manual transmissions probably qualifies me as knowing how to shift). It does help to hold the shifter lever hard in the first gear position until you are ready to shift to second.
  • wrangler01wrangler01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 four cylinder wrangler. I have been experiencing a squealing noise which has gotten progressively worse. At first I thought it might be a bushing or boot etc. but I wonder if it is the u-joint... The noise is definitely not the wheels as it is sounds like it is moving much faster than the wheels.

Anybody have any suggestions or similar problems? If it is the u-joint, there doesn't seem to be any grease fittings so do I need to replace?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You sure it's not the belt? My belt would squeal, but I tightened the tensioner pulley and it stopped. The belt was slipping.

A bad u-joint would be a repeating noise...

-Paul
  • jackson1955jackson1955 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have issues with their jeep wrangler not starting if the tilt steering column is all the way in the up position. This has been looked at three times by the dealer and each time it is good for about a week and then it wont start. It will start if you move the tilt all the way to the bottom. About halfway down i hear a twang and anytime after that it will start. any solutions?
  • davej5davej5 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Wrangler does exactly the same thing. I've been waiting to take it in to the dealer until it starts doing it more often because I had the same problem with a steering shimmy that they couldn't duplicate. It's doing it pretty often now so I think I'll take it and tell them to keep driving it until it pops out for them. It really is frightening when it first happens to you or you aren't paying attention, not to mention dangerous when pulling out into traffic. I'm getting to where I keep my hand on the shifter when in 1st gear in case it pops out.
  • belibeli Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    I have the same problem, but my wrangler is has only 2k. I've taken it twice to two different dealers and they keep saying that it is my fault. I also tried to hold the lever when it is in first but it hit my hand once and I don't do it anymore. If you find any place. or any way to fix this problem please let me know.

Thanks.
  • postalchickpostalchick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Wrangler and on the 4th transmission. Three yrs ago my transmission went out and replaced with a Jasper. I have gone thru three installed in less than 3 yrs and two of them in the last month. The first replaced trans started out as 1st, 2nd and reverse not going in smoothly, lost of grinding. I got replaced then 1st gear popping out (in intersections and about getting rearended)I thought the transmission was laying on the road by the sound that it made and the shaking of the jeep. The more transmissions I get replaced the worse that it does it. The syncronizers are what the problem is supposedly.

I am not getting anywhere with Jasper so I am researching other vehicles and unloading this one. It's a shame because I am so much a Jeep lover but enough is enough.

Good luck with your's. I atleast got 7 good years before the problems began.
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    Hello. I'm back again after a y :mad: ear or more. I've developed a loud squeal in front end. My 2008 Rubicon was held at the dealer for 8 hours and they called it "...the backing plate touching the rotor..." and claimed the adjustment they did cured it. ON THE WAY HOME THE SQUEAL started again. Can anyone suggest something ? Thanks.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    It is possible you have a brake dust buildup in the caliper. Try a high pressure wash around the brake calipers. Do it once a week. An automatic car wash booth won't get it like you will with a good hard stream of water. Compressed air works well also but sure makes a mess. If that isnt it, maybe the pads were installed without anti-seize compound or backing.
  • lvjeepgirllvjeepgirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I bought a 2007 4dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Automatic in January of '07 (brand new). It currently has about 32K miles (I drive about 50 miles roundtrip to work 5 days a week on the highway). I love the vehicle, but about a month ago my husband and I were driving along at about 70, and it the whole Jeep shook like we had a blow out. We pulled over, but nothing was wrong. Tires were fully inflated. I drove later that week about 400 miles (we were going camping) one way and 400 miles back and nothing happened. This morning my husband took my Jeep to work as he is bringing it in for an oil change, and at about 65mph it did the same thing. He pulled over, checked the tires, and same thing. It really feels like the way a vehicle reacts when you have a blow out - not necessarily just a front end shake.
    Has anyone had this problem? I am worried again, because we are supposed to tow a trailer this weekend from Vegas to Park City, UT and back, with kids, and the trailer will be full on the way back. Help!
    Sorry to take so long responding. It's been a month and squeel is basically gone. I only hear it when STOPPED (!) and maybe rolling a bit. I have the 6 speed so it may be clutch related. Anyhow it is about .02 percent what it was...this I can live with. EXTENNNNNNNDED HAPPY DRIVING WISHES TO ALL. :shades:
    It wouldn't hurt to have all tires re-balanced...it was a VW years ago that almost threw me off the road...just after I left the FIRESTONE Store. The dope that balanced my wheels had NO IDEA what he was doing. Your car may have thrown a weight .Look for uneven wear on tires too. You are wise to get this thing fixed before you go anywhere distant. :D
  • cwt1cwt1 Member Posts: 1
    Wiper motor function correctly in all positions (varible, low and high) except off. It runs at low speed when off. Should I change the wiper switch or wiper motor? What if any diaignostic steps do I take?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you've already done the diagnostic and the problem is likely the switch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Have you been through dirt/mud? I've had the problem after wheeling my TJ and gotten stones in between the rotor and pad. I'd highly suggest just getting in there with a hose and rinsing things off well and visually inspecting for any rubbing going on.

Are you sure this isn't an engine squeal? Or is it more like a wheel squeal/grinding noise? If it is a grinding squeal, I'd bet you have a stone or lots of brake dust in there. If it is just dust, I'd suggest a new pad with lower dust generation. I'm putting EBC brakes on my wife's car. They have a EBC Yellow and Green that would be ideal for a Wrangler and have a LOT less dust than stock. Yellow in front, green in back IIRC (due to braking loads).

-Paul
    X2. Your switch is bad. The switch on the steering column is a one piece design. Replace that entire assembly. You can buy new from the dealer. Also consider www.jeepsareus.com and perhaps find a local salvage yard and grab one from a comparable Jeep. Collins Bros Jeep out of Texas also has Jeep parts (I'm just not sure how new).

-Paul
  • karthur2kskarthur2ks Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2007 Unlimited X back from the dealership for the 3rd time this month for water leaks. It started first above my windshield and then my passenger door. Now it is my driver side door. I am glad it started before my warranty was up. They said they have had lots of problems with the wranglers after they have about 20 or 30k miles on them. I am getting very frustrated also. Never expected they couldn't get it fixed. They keep replacing the weather stripping. Still leaking!
  • 074drshimmy074drshimmy Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem in June. Call the dealer. They fixed my jeep by replacing the steering stabilizer to an after market. I had to call Jeep direct. Jeep has had problems with the steering stablilizer on 07 jeeps. They also call this Death Wobble
  • tedward2tedward2 Member Posts: 2
    I am taking my 2007 Sahara Jeep Wrangler in for severe water leaks for the 7th time(SEVENTH TIME). How much paper work do I need to stack up on this very aggravating problem before its classified a lemon. Now its leaking in the center right down on the radio. I never put the top down since the last time they said it was fixed. They said they put a leak fix kit in. Well they need to go back to the drawing board, its just as bad as ever.
  • wranglerx07wranglerx07 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone ever add an aftermarket cruise control on an 07 wrangler?
  • butchbutch Member Posts: 2
    We have a 08 Jeep Wrangler with Freedom Tops that leak. Its been in the dealers shop twice for the leaks. The first time they replaced seals and the tops, the second time they replaced the new seals. And said I may have been putting them on wrong. No problem, I was schooled at the dealership (remedial top installation) and went about my merry way the following week after a heavy rain the leaks are back, we have frost in the floor and the tops haven't been removed (so much for schooling). Are there any solutions out there?