Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Maintenance and Repair

gervsgervs Member Posts: 1
The moonroof sunshade (visor) over on my car squeaks while I drive. It's not a tremendously loud squeak but, I put quit a few km on my car every year and this sound is very irritating. Does anyone else hear this little squeak?? I have never heard it before in any other vehicle but the service advisor at the dealership tells me it is normal.

Jason
Tagged:

Comments

• budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    It's not as loud if you pull the sunshade back and expose the glass...

Sorry but that my only fix.
  • jrs6jrs6 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem...pulling the shade back slightly hampers the sound a tad, but the thing still rattles, and you're right---it's cheap and sounds cheap...I was told by my dealer there's nothing that can be done because it's the flimsy material that makes it sound like that....I guess your only option is to rip the piece of junk out, and forego a sun shade (which i never use anyway), or go to a custom shop and have them make one that's more solid...
  • pajake4pajake4 Member Posts: 2
    mine only sound is from the roof area when it is a little below freezing out
  • phaesmomphaesmom Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 2007 G6 in April '08 used. I actually saw the bad reviews right after we got it. I had done my research, I thought! But had only seen good reviews and then my mom sent me a list of the bad cars. I thought Oh well. Well now its July and there's something wrong with our car. It could be something as simple as a spark plug or something worse. So people tell me if this is familiar to you...
    At times it seems like the car is having a hard time shifting into a certain gear (maybe 3rd?) and other times it just feels like chug a lug (I know weird description but just can't think of an appropriate word). Its worse at higher speeds, like over 55, but it does happen when your going slower also, just not so obvious. The light isn't on, and we use good gas and not the cheap stuff. We also twist the gas cap 3 times (dealer made a big deal out of that!). So has anyone else had anything like this happen? Or maybe just has some ideas? We're hoping to bring it in in 2 days but don't have a second car so we have to arrange for the dealership to get us a rental (that may be a fight!).
  • lmcgill27lmcgill27 Member Posts: 3
    My driver-side door won't open. This has happened about a dozen times. It doesn't matter if the car has been locked or not. The button can be up. You can try to open the door from the inside--nothing works. I have to get in on the passenger side, hop over the console & then slide under the steering wheel. Usually after driving for awhile, the door will be able to be opened from the inside. But a few times, I've also had to climb out thru the passenger side. The dealership has tried to fix it many different ways but nothing has worked. Pontiac insists that this hasn't happened to any other cars. Please post if it has happened to you.
    thanks!
    My driver-side door won't open. This has happened about a dozen times. It doesn't matter if the car has been locked or not. The button can be up. You can try to open the door from the inside--nothing works. I have to get in on the passenger side, hop over the console & then slide under the steering wheel. Usually after driving for awhile, the door will be able to be opened from the inside. But a few times, I've also had to climb out thru the passenger side. The dealership has tried to fix it many different ways but nothing has worked. Pontiac insists that this hasn't happened to any other cars. Please post if it has happened to you.
    thanks!
  • lfrielslfriels Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 G6 and I have the same problem with the driver's side passenger door in the back. It's really annoying.
  • ThezeofGod62ThezeofGod62 Member Posts: 4
    brought my car in to the service center who can't seem to find the problem...When it rains or when I wash my car water falls from the headliner into my lap...Purchased the car 4mths. ago an on going problem.....
  • drjlavelledrjlavelle Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have also been encountering the same problem, my car has been in the shop 36 days out of the first 6 months. Pontiac also advised me that this has not happened to anyone else. I am in the process of going for the lemon law. Pontiac would not do the buyback because the dealership could not make the door problem occur in the shop.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, my advice would be to drive to another dealer, some dealers are less than willing to work with you. My dealer's service department had a man that was quite rude to me. He made me feel so stupid when I was trying to show him an issue with my seat. I actually, replied back to the man "is there a problem?" implying was there some kind of problem with him, because he had this arrogant attitude. The other worker, which had taken the car out, later told me he was sorry for his attitude. I was quite frustrated. They were unable to re-enact the problem at the dealer, but I know my car, the seat still slips. But, the rep told me he would do whatever it took to get it right. When I came back from the short test drive, the original worker was so happy towards me...hmm. I think he knew that he went overboard. That is the whole point on why I lease, its because I shouldn't have to really worry about major issues, and if there are, then they should be fixed, as long as I am taking great care of it. Which I do.

Fight it, go to another dealer, it can make a huge difference. Perhaps get a claim report started by calling GM. Its not like we are asking them to replace tires that are worn, or brake pads that are worn, this is something they have to fix.
  • phaesmomphaesmom Member Posts: 2
  • g6stuffg6stuff Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2005 Pontiac G6 which we bought new, and my wife drives the car. It's been a good car. BUT, when it was new Pontiac had to fix a clunky steering problem after only one year (under warranty). 59K miles, and 4 years later, the steering clunk returned. It only clunked when the car was not moving and when you turned the steering right and left. When moving it didn't do it.

However BEFORE the clunk sound started again, about two months before to be exact (at 56K miles), the car was steering oddly on the road. It would shift to the left and right quickly, following ruts and making the car hard to keep on the road. It was a genuine safety hazard, but my wife didn't say anything to me about it. On flat roads it was okay. When I drove her car and discovered the steering problem I went nuts. Very unsafe situation.

I called Paul Masse Pontiac in Woonsocket, RI (where I bought the car) and asked if it was safe to drive the car and they said it was. Still, we had them repair the steering wheel ($400) last week. What they told me was the crash extension (telescoping) part of the steering shaft now has a nylon bushing to keep the smaller extension shaft in place and lubricated.

Now the car's steering has no clunk and it drives straight, even on rutty pavement. The way it had been driving was, in reality, was a safety issue and I plan to call my friends at Paul Masse and complain.

I believe the steering on the Pontiac G6 is a national safety issue, particularly on the earlier cars.

I planned to compain to a safety group in the US government and assumed the "National Transportation Safety Board" were the folks to contact, but noooooooo. I called them.

The people in the US government who deal with auto safety issues is the U.S. Department Of Transportation at website:
    http://www.dot.gov/new/index.htm

BUT, their website is complex, with tons of links and finding one that allows an average person to report a safety issue with an automobile is, well, difficult. Soooooo, on their home page scroll down to TOP REQUESTS (bottom left) and click on the link "Find information on car safety, vehicles, and parts". Then click under the heading VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT click on the link "File
    a complain about a vehicle or child seat here" which will open up a new page.

To save time and file your complaint online, copy and paste the link below into your browser.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • ceegee2ceegee2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 4cyl, I have the same problem with mine, they replaced the steering column and replaced the front right tierod, it was fine for a year then about a month ago the problem has started again, i will be taking it back to the shop again.. :(
  • blackgtblackgt Member Posts: 3
    g6stuff

Call Pontiac and complain they will give you a case number to take to your dealer. I f it is a defect which it sounds like it is Pontiac will pay for the repairs.
  • mlaniermlanier Member Posts: 23
    I noticed clunky noises in steering, and now my powersteering has gone out on me. Has anyone had this problem, and is there a fix besides the info I am getting from the net, like replacing the whole steering column, and other parts along with that? Thanks for any reply
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    The motor and controller can be replaced, if the torque sensor is bad need new column.
  • mlaniermlanier Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for replying, but if the power steering light is on, would that mean the torque sensor is bad? Do you know how difficult it would be to change the motor and controller? Thanks for any further reply.
  • g6stuffg6stuff Member Posts: 2
    In the long run have the dealer diagnosis it would be cheaper, need Tech II to know what is bad, sorry. Then it may need centering.
  • evansa16evansa16 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anyone has had these problems or know of a way to fix them.

First up, I got a 2005 Pontiac G6 4 door purchased it in July. I have an extended warranty but the place is still charging me a arm and a leg to get it fixed. Noticed all these problems 2 weeks in after owning the vehicle.

I notice in the front seat right where the lights are water pours in and both driver and passenger seat floors have been drenched. I feel as though it is coming from the sunroof but not entirely shore. I also noticed the first time it happened water came in from under the passenger side dash board.

Next up is my cd player the radio works fine but my cd player won't play any kind of CD's. It keeps saying check disk.

And finally i never had the keyless entry when i purchased the car the remote was missing or something but everytime i unlock the drivers door with the key my car will start beeping until i put the key in the ignition. Any idea's? Thanks guys.

I tried to bring my car to the place a few weeks after and they just charged me 100 bucks per item to look at it...and then said to remove the car alarm for 200 bucks, seal the window for 100 bucks and then replace the cd player stock for 625. They are really ripping me off and i feel as though there is a easier way to fix all this.
  • evansa16evansa16 Member Posts: 2
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You'll usually get better responses by posting in an existing discussion, or discussionS if you have multiple issues. There's already a Water Leaks discussion for this model, so you might want to check that out.

Have a look at all of the Pontiac G6 discussions to see if your issue is listed - solutions might already be posted. I believe there's a general maintenance & repair discussion for this model on that list as well.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dienerddienerd Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my wife today. She has a 2007 G6.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dienerd,

Were you planning on having the vehicle looked at by your local dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • melruskmelrusk Member Posts: 2
    I have so many problems with this car and I am not sure if I should trade it in or try to get some of this stuff fixed...

1. The heater doesnt work- It will blow hot air as long as i am pressing the gas. But if i stop back to cold air it goes.

2. The interior light doesnt work
    3. I have to spend 3-5 mintues getting the car out of park.
    4. I have replaced the breaks 4 or 5 times.
    5. I cant get the keys out of the ignition majority of the time. I have to wait and leave my keys in the car hoping no one will steal it and go back a few hours later to get them to come out.
    6. After i take it out of park, it makes a loud shifting noise as if I am on a steep hill.
    7. The windows do not go down at all anymore

Help....I have 97,740 miles on this car and i have had it for 4 years. Cant i still go after previous recall's and get them to fix some of the electrical problems..? Or should i just replace it or can it be fixed for a reasonable amount ????
    Help and suggestions
  • melruskmelrusk Member Posts: 2
  • jaybird21jaybird21 Member Posts: 2
    my 07 g6 convertible has started consuming a quart of oil every1500 miles.my dealer says thats "within specs." I bought the car new and have had it serviced only by goodwrench.this seems excessive to me. Im at 50k miles and why would this start now and not when the car was new?
  • jaybird21jaybird21 Member Posts: 2
    I believe you have the 3.5 engine. I had one in a Malibu for 40K miles and it never burned a drop of oil with 5K oil changes.
    GM will always say high oil consumption is OK, saves GM from some repairs.
    If no leaks probably piston rings, guessing though.
  • moss851moss851 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac G6. The check A engine light came on. It codes P0010 camshaft position sensor bank 1 circuit malf. There are two of these sensors, one on the right and left side of the. Which side is bank one?
  • jeni4132jeni4132 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2009.5 pontiac g6... My drivers side door will not open from the inside or outside. I noticed my stirring wheel isn't locking either... It's been this way for a couple days now.
    Any suggestions?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi jeni4132,

Were you considering having your local GM dealership take a look at this for you? We believe they're in the best position to examine your door to determine why it's not opening. We understand this might be upsetting and we're available via private message if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@jeni4132 said:
    I have a 2009.5 pontiac g6... My drivers side door will not open from the inside or outside. I noticed my stirring wheel isn't locking either... It's been this way for a couple days now.
    Any suggestions?