Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Outback vs Ford Freestyle

king6king6 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
Hi, new to the site and not sure if this had been started yet, but as a very proud ownder of a 99 Outback, I am a little annoyed by the introduction of the Ford Freestyle wagon. It looks virtually identical to the Outback, down to the contrasting grey fenders and bumper, factory roof rack, and windows. Isn't there some kind of copyright infringement going on here? Is it okay to buy this car instead of the Subaru because maybe some people dind't want to buy a Japanese car? Well there is a difference, which is so typical for american cars, it's bigger, what's worse is it's classified as an SUV (how does that work?) which means different tax breaks.

Are all the car companies going to start jumping on the band wagon (er station wagon band wagon) now?

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is also classified as an SUV FYI.

-mike
  • tom_holsingertom_holsinger Member Posts: 58
    The Freestyle gets much better milage than the Outback -my wife and I have averaged about 23 mpg in the year we've owned our 2006 Freestyle FWD, which cost us $24,000. I believe the Outback is more expensive.

I have no idea what the Outback's safety rating is. The Freestyle is one of the safest vehicles on the market, such as the highest side-impact ratings WITHOUT side airbags.
    Of course FWD is going to get better milage than AWD. That's like saying my Hyundai gets better milage than a Viper RT!

-mike
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I thought all Outbacks were AWD? Also, the MPG figures (for the 6cyl OB) are similar for the AWD FS. Prices for the AB's are a bit higher and don't feature the discounts that the FS's have. IMHO
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    All Subarus have full-time AWD.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    That is all true, but the steeper the discount, the lower the resale. Depreciation on the Freestyle is typical Ford - not a concern, of course, if you are keeping it for a long period of time, but if it is financed then GAP insurance is a good friend! Then there are reliability concerns. I have not heard good things in that department from locals who own them, but aside from the bugs, they do like the vehicles. *shrugs*
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a friend who purchased a 2005 Outback a few months before I got my 2005 Freestyle. It is a nice enough vehicle but much smaller than my Freestyle. He rode in my Freestyle and noted how much roomier is was. I also took a ride in his Outback and noticed how cramped I felt inside. I'm 4' 26" and there was barely enough room for my legs with the seat in the rearmost position. Plus, there is very little cargo room behind the rear seats whereas the Freestyle has lots of room. The OB does have nicer interior materials, but the lack of space and power (his is the 2.5i) in comparison to my FS confirms I made a good choice. Of course the OB is fine for those who don't need a larger AWD vehicle. The B9-Tribeca is more similar to the Freestyle than the Outback is.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
    When the Freestyle is in for brake line replacements (ala Tarus) in 2 years....

-mike
    How unfair of Ford to offer a low-milage vehicle to customers who want one!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Freestyle holds 7, Outback holds 5. Different class of vehicles. There are a lot of crossovers now that are pretty similar looking today, just like many 4dr sedans all look pretty similar.

Actually though, the Freestyle doesn't look all that similar to the Outback:
    http://images.consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/autoreview/400x266/2006-subaru- -outback-06810061990006.jpg

http://www.car-data.com/photos.30/p.ford.freestyle.30.1.jpg

If anything, the Cadillac XRX looks a lot like the Freestyle:
    http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/magazine/images/2006cadillacsrx/2006CadillacSRX- PanRight01Fixed.jpg

As does the Saturn Outlook:
    http://spanish.autoblog.com/images/2006/04/5aa3de4188cea12ebb5deb05ba4dce01.jpg
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Consumer Reports was clear on the Freestyle: Poor reliability. So, if you want one, lease it. But as McCloskey says, its more comparable to a Tribeca, on size. Edmunds TMV is $26,840, but you can find $3,500-$4,000 on a rebates, take'em for repairs. Tribeca TMV is $31,070, bu you can find '06s at $27,000.
    If you look in the latest CR it's considered Average (open circle). And it's not comparable to a Tribeca on size http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB70SUS051D0,USB70FOC192A- 0

The Tribeca is 10" shorter on the outside and inside, it has 6" less 2nd row legroom, 3" less 3rd row legroom, 2.5" less 3rd row headroom, and only 8CuFt of luggage space behind the 3rd row as compared to 20CuFt with the Freestyle. Comparisons can be made on other aspects, but in terms of interior space there is no comparison.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings bobw3:

I agree that the FS is noticably larger than the B9, and more versatile too. However, my comment was to say the B9 was a better comparison to the FS than the OB. The Feb '07 issue of Automobile has a 'Four Seasons Wrap-up' on the B9. In summary, they place the B9 behind the FS, Pilot and new CX-9 in the 'booming' CUV segment. While the B9 certainly has its attributes, the full article confirms my choice of purchasing the FS was the best one for me. With just a bit over 32K miles in L/T 2 years, I hope my FS will provide me with many more trouble-free miles.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
    I wouldn't consider a Subaru in the same class as a Ford.

Ford/Hyundai/Chevy/Dodge - All bottom feeders

I consider Subaru a more mid-line manufacturer, so although you can look at the figures, the level of manufacture, quality, reliability, etc are vastly different.

-mike
    the level of manufacture, quality, reliability, etc are vastly different. Please provide the facts, web links, etc backing up this overgeneralization about the vast differences.

Plus if quality is the number one issue, then the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot are just as vastly better than Subaru then you claim the Subaru is vastly better then the others you mentioned.

And even if the quality of the Tribeca is slightly higher, if it doesn't meet the needs because of it's small size, then it doesn't make sense to buy it.
    Toyota and Honda are vastly above the level of Subaru, just as Subaru is vastly above the level of Ford.

It would be like comparing an AWD Ford 500 to say an AWD A6.

Both are mid-size sedans.
    Both are AWD.
    Both have V6.

But would you really consider them comparable in both price and quality? I highly doubt it.

-mike
    Just my opinion therefore I don't need any "facts" as I'm not sure where one would find any "facts" that tell of how a car feels, all of those would be opinions.

I know you are gonna pull out the "but the explorer is the #1 selling SUV in america, therefore it can't be bad" that's an old arguement that doesn't hold water.

-mike
    Actually, I don't have any opinions on the Explorer, but if it's your opinion that after driving both vehicles, the Ouback feels better than the Freestyle, then that's a fair opinion.

Also, if you feel that Honda is vastly superior to Subaru, and Subaru is vastly superior to Ford, then what adjective will you use to compare Ford to Honda ;)
    CR Overview

Highs: Ride, access, visibility, useable third-row seat.
    Lows: Engine noise, tire grip, stability control unavailable.
    The Freestyle combines traits of a wagon, minivan, and SUV. Interior packaging is impressive, and even the third-row seat offers sufficient space for adults. Cabin access and visibility are commendable. The ride is firm but comfortable. Handling is fairly agile, although the Freestyle's tail slid easily in our avoidance maneuver. Unfortunately, stability control is not available. The V6 provides adequate performance and returns 18 mpg overall. Engine noise is pronounced when accelerating. Side- and curtain air bags will become standard later in the 2007 model year. Reliability has improved to average.
    Maybe you could copy/past the same information for the Outback or Tribeca and maybe we'll find some vast differences. ;)
    Freestyle recall no. 1:
    Nov. 05: Ford is recalling 127,493 Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans and Freestyle wagons because the straps that secure the fuel tank to the vehicle body may break, causing the fuel tank and fuel tank heat shield to drop onto the driveshaft or exhaust system, the automaker and U.S. safety regulators said.
    Recall no. 2:
    Sep. 06: Latches/locks/linkages
    Dealers will install a shield over the front latches; seal a drain hole in the rear window trim molding on the freestyle rear side doors; and apply grease to all front and rear side-door latch mechanisms free of charge. The side door latch mechanisms may experience water intrusion allowing the latch mechanism to freeze in cold weather as a result, the door latch pawl may not return to the latch position when the door is closed, and the door could open while the vehicle is moving.
    According to cars.com, after 4 years:
    Tribeca: 32%
    Freestyle: 26%
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Lows: Engine noise, tire grip, stability control unavailable.

I wouldn't want to be on the road with any of those CR drivers if they think they need stability control on the vehicle. ;)
    And if the Tribeca costs 6% more to buy, then so what if the residual is 6% lower for the Freestyle. Plus I like my Freestyle enough that I'll probably keep it for 10 years. I'm not interested in buying something unsatisfactory just so 4 years down the road I'll get more money for it when I trade it in.

There's no arguing the fact that the Tribeca, with it's tiny 3rd row and practically no cargo space, is not a vehicle capable of carrying nearly the same amount of people and cargo as the Freestyle.

The Tribeca is more style over substance as a 7 passenger vehicle, so for those needing space for 6-7 people plus cargo, the Tribeca isn't even a consideration.

Now if you want to compare something to the Tribeca, then compare it to the Toyota RAV-4 or Highlander.
    I wouldn't want to be in any of those Outbacks with a defective side airbag ;)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfmMake : SUBARU Model : OUTBACK Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V274000 Recall Date : JUN 04, 2004
    Component: AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOW
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    I guess I'll chime in here, I own an '06 AWD Freestyle and a '96 Outback. Now I know there's a decade between the two but... the OB is much more "sporty"? than the FS. The FS is alot bigger, third row seats and all. The initial build quality on the FS is outstanding, but I doubt the FS will hold up as well as the OB after 10 years, I am very impressed as to how well the OB has held up after 138k miles! The OB and the FS are unstoppable in snow! If I didn't need that 3rd row I would have bought a new OB mainly for the resale value compared to the FS. The concept is very close between the two cars though.
    Like the famous judge on obscenity, I know when I see it. That applies to my quality concept. Until now, no car manufacturer is close to Toyota, Honda and Subaru, no other american, japanese or euros. Don't close your eyes. If you have been in Japan you'll know that we americans are over them in most of the industrial aspects (they don't have a Boeing, or a 3M, a Microsoft or Apple, an Intel...). But in car quality, we lag. Problem is, our pride didn't let GM to wholly acquire Subaru or Suzuki. Ford never has let Mazda take a prominent role, and Chrysler bought a corrupted company in Mitsubishi.

To be fair, the Freestyle is a very interesting concept of a 7 pass wagon, while to say that the Tribeca is a 7 pass is like Pamela Anderson wearing an "A" cup bra. But I like Pamela even wit

About Subaru and Ford, every morning I wake up confident that today isn't the day when my car is going to let me stranded. This friday I'll let my home in Minnesota, all the way to Mackinaw, around the big lakes, on the cold, not being afraid of anything. And saturday morning the way to the autoshow is going to be a sweet drive. That's the Subaru advantage. If you can get that on your Ford, lucky you.
    When Subaru makes a vehicle practical enough to fit my needs, then let me know. I'd rather wear a $200 suit that fits me perfectly, then buy a $250 suit that doesn't fit but is made out of slightly better material ;) BTW I own a Honda Fit as well as my Freestyle.
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    The american makers and Ford in particular have come a long, long way in quality,the warranty numbers show it, there just isn't the amount of warranty work being performed on the newest models that have come out lately, Mustang, Fusion, Freestyle, 500. I have no fears what so ever taking the FS on a long trip, that is just ridiculous! Now if the american makers can do something about that old perception they'd be in good shape.
    I've driven my Freestyle over 43K miles in two years, and on many long road trips. I was so afraid of it breaking down that I'd hire a tow truck to drive behind me for the entire trip. It was expensive but worth the peace of mind. :surprise:
    Then you are comparing apples to oranges here if the OB doesn't fit your needs then you shouldn't be comparing them. If the Tribecca doesn't fit your needs then you shouldn't be comparing it either.

If you look at my garage, none of the subies fit my needs, so I opted for something different.

I needed true 6 passenger space (way more than the FS by the way) and towing (also way more than the FS) and opted for an Armada.

I could come up with the same arguements you use against the Tribecca against the FS. My Armada can tow significantly more (9100lbs) than the FS, it can fit 6 Paisan-size adults, it's got stability control, Front and Rear LSDs, AWD, 305hp/385lbs torque, rides like a caddy, handles like a porsche, and is zippy 0-60 is around 7 seconds...

So please don't come on here ripping the Outback for not fitting YOUR needs, when if you were shopping for one to try to have it fit your needs, you were shopping the wrong vehicle!

-mike
    Until now, no car manufacturer is close to Toyota, Honda and Subaru,

Given my experience with Fords (Taurus, Freestyle, Five Hundred), and that of my brothers with Honda and Toyota (Camry, Civic, Celica, and the Honda minivan), I'd have to strongly disagree.
    Now if the american makers can do something about that old perception they'd be in good shape.

That's really the issue, IMO.

Unfortunately, Toyota and Honda earned their reputation primarily back in the 80's . . when their vehicles were so "pedestrian" that there just wasn't much on them to go wrong. That makes a direct comparison to the Fords and Chevy's a bit like apples to oranges, IMO.

Not to say that Ford and Chevy had the greatest cars back then . . but they've certainly improved, starting in the late 80's.
    I was making my comments in response to the person who started the forum comparing the Outback to the Freestyle, and then someone commented on how the Tribeca was the same size as the Freestyle, so that prompted me to point out the interior differences. The title of this forum is Outback vs Freestyle.

Now if you want to bring your Armada into the mix...hmmm. You say that it, "handles like a porsche" but based on this webpage http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB70NIS101A0,USB70FOC191A- - - 0:

Armada/Freestyle
    0-60mph 7.7 seconds/ 7.3 seconds
    1/4 mile 15.8 seconds at 90 mph/ 15.6 seconds at 93 mph
    Lateral acceleration .70 G/ .80 G
    Slalom 52.9 mph 58.0 mph
    Front legroom 41.8 "/ 41.2 "
    Rear legroom 41.9 "/ 40.4 "
    Third row legroom 32.2 "/ 33.3 "
    Front headroom 41.0 "/ 39.4 "
    Rear headroom 40.0 "/ 39.7 "
    Third row headroom 35.9 "/ 38.6 "

So it doesn't seem much bigger inside (yes, it's a lot bigger outside), nor does it seem any more porsche-like.

But yes, it can really tow a lot!
    I love people who pull #s without actually getting out there and checking em out. If you really think the FS has more room than a full size SUV, you are on crack.

Take your #s and put them in a spreadsheet, but I live in the REAL world, again it's the feel that you don't get bench-racing which is all you are doing with those numbers.

BTW Armada is 0-60 is 7.1 seconds not 7.7

-mike
    I'm not the one saying that a large SUV drives like a porsche (who's really on crack!), nor if you read my post do you hear me saying the Freestyle is more roomy than the Armada (I said that the Armada wasn't that much more roomy).

I'm sorry you’re intimidated by someone using facts and numbers rather then overgeneralizations. But to give you some more numbers, yes the Armada is a little more roomy inside, but then it’s 10” taller, 4” wider, and 7” longer so it should be, and while it’s roomier inside it’s not by much. Mostly in hip room, but then maybe that’s what the "6 Paisan-size adults" need :P

Oh you're right...that 0.6 sec 0-60 difference really makes the Armada drive like a porsche...my mistake.
    My point is that if you sit around and bench race with facts and figures rather than get out there and ACTUALLY DRIVE these vehicles there is not too much I can say.

As a certified track instructor, I'm pretty well qualified to know what porsche handling is like. I base my judgements on getting out there, throwing the car around, hauling stuff, travelling long distances and spending time in a vehicle.

As I said, the Armada handles very well for the power, size and capacities it has.

I'm sure the FS is great for what YOU need it for, however don't claim it to be the be-all and end-all.

-mike
    For the same reason, I would suggest that the Expedition will be far more comfortable than the FS for 6 passengers, and I don't even like Fords!

-mike
    Really, I would like the best to Ford and all of its customers. It looks like there are clients for both Ford and Subaru. I also wanna see the day went I can go to a Ford dealership with confidence and dissmiss the nonamerican brands. That day, for me, is not now, but. After having 3 civics, 1 blazer, 2 toyotas, 2 mitsubishis and 2 subarus since 1994, and seeing my friends suffering with other brands, I should know what's best for me. I'll keep my Outback until next year when I can upgrade to a MDX. But I promise, that I won't be signing until I test a Lincoln MKX. Promise, that if quality feels the same I'll go Ford.

My humble advice is to find a dealer who offers you a big discount on a Freestyle and buy it. After all, when I had a car that I didn't wanted to buy (following my wife's advice) I hated until I see it go.

Peace and Love
    I've never said that the FS is the be-all and end-all, so it would be nice to actually read posts before responding to them. It's like the third time you responded to something I never said. And your first point is also wrong because you have no idea what sort of driving experience I have.

Anyway, you were the one bringing up the Armada in this forum, do try not to get so defensive just because some brings up some facts you don't like. Maybe "certified track instructors" don't like hearing thing contrary to their opinions. And I read your profile, so I realize that cars are such a personal issue with you. For me they're appliances with wheels to get from point A to B and I look at practical things when purchasing: does it meet my needs, safety, cost, reliability, etc.

My humble advice is for folks not to overgeneralize so much on anything and try using logic and facts over "feelings" a little more when comparing cars. These are just cars you know.
    Then you should be looking at Hondas and Toyotas. They are the Maytags of the car world. No personality, but great transportation. I'm suprised someone who want's "appliance" like cars would buy a Ford, considering their reliability and durability issues! haaaaaa

-mike
    sigh...more meaningless overgeneralizations....oh well, but to be expected. I sometimes expect too much from these forums...my mistake.

To get back on track to the subject of this forum, while the Outback is a good vehicle, since it only holds five folks, it's hard to consider it a competitor to the Freestyle even if it is similar in looks.

And for those coming into this forum with an anti-Ford bias, at least state you have an anti-Ford bias as a disclaimer at the end of your posts
    You feel because it's not a "7 seater" it's not a worthy competitor? What if you have no need for a 7 seater? What if you want a full time AWD system rather than a re-active one?

-mike
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    FWIW, I'm buying a Freestyle on Friday. I have a long standing admiration for Ford cars and especially trucks. So there's my bias - but I also drive a Lexus. Nonetheless, Ford has always been the Wagon master, since the 50's, and I don't see where that has changed yet. They aren't always as long lasting as the Japanese cars, often they aren't. But they are a superior design IMO. The folding rear seats in all the SUVs and wagons was done by Ford first, now they powerfold in most of them. GM still hasn't figured out how to do it, but they're always late to the party, usually last. Ford has never done a superior minivan, but this car is in a class by itself. If they had made it a bit more interesting looking, it may have taken off. Regardless, for what I need this car for, the AWD version is perfect.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    You do know that problem was with improperly mounted side airbags, it was detected during crash test and no vehicle with this "feature" was sold.

Recall was performed on dealer lots if not at plant only.

Krzys
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    You forgot one important (to me) statistic:

MPG:
    Armada: City 13 Highway: 18/19
    Freestyle: City 20 Highway: 27

I never tow, and I don't need or want such a heavy vehicle as the Armada. The two are actually in completely different classes of vehicles.

Also, my wife is short, and the Freestyle seats do not require any climbing.
    Thanks steve you proved my point....

Each vehicle has to fit the person who is buying it, the fact that the FS has 3 rows may work against it and for the Outback. Just as towing is important to me but gas milage isn't. (Crude was down $6/barrel overnight last night Yippie!)

I actually get 13.5 consistently in city driving and about 22 on the highway. Towing 6,000lbs I get 15 on the highway at 75 :)

Then again I'm pulling a cig-boat with a 454 that gets 2.5mpg so 15mpg is awsome!

-mike
    When My wife and I were researching the purchase which became our Freestyle, we considered an Outback only long enough to realize its cargo area, with all but the front seats down, could not carry a twin bed mattress or box spring. This was fatal for a college hauler.

The Freestyle we bought carried a twin bed mattress, box spring and a lot of other stuff when we were moving children to and from college last summer.

The Outback and Freestyle are not comparable vehicles. The disparity in cargo capacity is just too great. The Toyota Higlander is far, far more comparable to the Freestyle than the Outback.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    My grandparents always buy Fords, so now that I live a little closer to them (~350 miles away) I get quite a bit more modern exposure to this make. They have a '97 F350 powerstroke, an '04 EB Expedition, and an '01 Crown Vic. All three are very comfortable vehicles and, amazingly, the '97 F350 actually feels and drives like a truck (unlike the F150).

I considered the Freestyle, but my wife was dead-set on a Subaru. So, that (primarily) in conjunction with the reactive AWD and the CVT (bleah!) booted the Freestyle from consideration. I have little confidence that the '07 Subaru Outback will be spared from warranty visits, and I am a little uncertain about the long-term durability of the exterior plastics, but mechanically this car will serve me well.

I might even be able to get over 200K on the rear brake pads... eh, Mike?! :P

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Haaaaa NICE, I'm still amazed at your 160k on one set of rear pads!

-mike
This discussion has been closed.