Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Exterior and Body

Comments

• springdaddyspringdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I really don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest with you. I just had my window tint place put 15% on the sunroof so it took care of the problem in my book. I can understand where you are coming from in this post, but it doesn't really bother me that bad. To be honest with you, I kind of like the mesh shade, but that's just my opinion of course. I love the truck BTW.
  • surveyorguysurveyorguy Member Posts: 13
  • kiwisilveradokiwisilverado Member Posts: 2
  • kiwisilveradokiwisilverado Member Posts: 2
    I have recently imported into New Zealand a Silverado 3500HD dually and have had the misfortune to scrape and broken a small piece of the fender which is of course plastic. I would like to repair this myself as it is not a major job and thought that I could stitch the broken bit by using a soldering iron but it seems the plastic is too hard and does not melt enough to stick together.Is there any specific glue for this job?
    Once the broken bit is joined it would then be a simple matter to use some filler to produce a paintable finish.
  • jkmenojkmeno Member Posts: 2
  • jkmenojkmeno Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how to get my tailgate down? I think it is catching on the right side of my tailgate. Also, is there any aftermarket parts I can buy for my tailgate. This is the 3rd time this has happened and my warranty is expired so I am not taking it to the dealer again. Thanks.
  • jenna3720jenna3720 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 shortbed stepside chevy truck. The latch on the tailgate doesn't work I have to use a wrench to open the tailgate. I have looked and I can't find a tailgate to fit my truck does anyone know how to fix the latch or does anyone know where I can get a new tailgate?
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I'm sure Chevy will sell you a new one but it'll probably cost a grand. Suggest you try auto salvage yards. You may have to get it painted to match your truck color. May also be able to get the latch parts from salvage, much cheaper than entire tailgate. Good luck.

1offroader
  • jenna3720jenna3720 Member Posts: 2
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    What is catching? the latch? a bent hinge?
  • junojuno Member Posts: 2
    I have a wet spot by the top of the passenger visor. The water is either coming in via the top of the windshield (unliklely I think because it would have to go up to come out by the visor) or a leak around one of the two black antena's on top of the cab.

One is directly over the leak.

Any experience with this problem would be helpfull
  • efflandtefflandt Member Posts: 5
    Did someone add aftermarket satellite radio? Maybe that antenna base needs to be sealed with silicone rubber or something.

My 08 GMC has single antenna for OnStar/XM (or if it does have 2, they are both in one black device).
  • bigbear5bigbear5 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased 7 months ago off the lot. My trucks been running great since I purchased it. I just had the oil changed 5 days ago at 8400 miles at a reynolds tire shop, low and behold the next night my check engine light comes on the DIC screen.
    I called the ONSTAR and they said it has something to do with the emissions, DUH!
    Well I mad an appointment with a dealer and when Im about to take it, the ligh goes off, so I cancel my app. The next day it goes back on again, this time the auto tracking light flashes about ten times also. Ive never touched that button before so I have no idea what the hell is going on. Somone told check my gas cap, I did and it was secured. Anybody having simillar problems out there or now what the deal is? I'd appreciate it.
  • krsterling23krsterling23 Member Posts: 1
    I drive an 04 Z71 and recently my tailgate's handle has failed to release the tailgate. It is stuck in the up position and won't budge. I'm pretty sure it's simply a plastic retaining clip or something similar that has broken, but am not sure. Has anybody else had this issue? The dealership wants to charge $88 an hour to just look at it. Hopefully it's something simple that i can fix. Also am thinking of purchasing a Flashpaq or Cortex programmer, does anyone have any experience with either of these two products? Thanks.
  • oscgolfoscgolf Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Sierra Z71 that has a tailgate latch that is stuck shut also.
    In the past, it had been stuck "open" (where as the latch hook was in the way and had to be "pushed in" in order to close)...
    I should have lubricated it before this happened, when I had the chance but I wasn't quick enough... :sick: Let me know if you find a simple fix to this problem...
  • syncmastersyncmaster Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1998 GMC Sierra, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy the silver trim kit that goes over each wheel well and the body of the truck.

Thanks, Shawn
  • natesmsnatesms Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased an '08 Silverado 1500 Max. It has about 700 miles on it now and has developed a creaking noise when going over bumps, and curbs. I first noticied it when the temperature got over 50 degrees the other day, if the truck is warm the noise happens, when it cools down (it has been below freezing here since I got the thing) it doesn't make the sound. It sounds like it is coming from every door in the truck. You would think this thing has 270,000 miles on it, not 700.

I researched the forum and found several posts pertaining to stepbars/running boards being improperly tightened. I do not have stepbars on my truck. One poster said they took it in and had to have the body mounts tightened up, and a grounding strap.

I am going to take it to the dealer next week, but was hoping for a little feedback on anyone else's experiences. Anyone else ran across this problem?
  • cajuncountrycajuncountry Member Posts: 12
    I have the same problem with my 08 Sierra. I had a passenger riding with me and he described it best, sounds like the roof is settling and all doors rattle. Brought it to the dealership an they stated that they have about fifteen Sierra's with the same problem. GM knows about it and has no fix. This really aggravates me due to GM claiming there trucks are the quietest in class. Traded 05 F250 for this truck and it was much quieter, no rattles. Everyday I wish I would have bought a different vehicle.
    CajunCountry,

I took my truck in for the squeaks and rattles and this is what they told me. Now I haven't had the repairs done yet, so I do not know if they solve the problem (ordering parts). But the dealership did have two items addressed by "GM Service
    Notes".

I took the truck in complaining of: Squeaking of doors when going over over curbs, rattle in driver's door, and noise from rear of truck when going over bumps with latteral motion.

Items they are fixing.

1. Squeaky Cab - Missing shims in body mounts. Ordered mounts and shims to replace front 2.
    2. Rattle in drivers door. Weather stripping to be replaced per service note from GM
    3. Noise from rear of truck. New spring spacers, per service note from GM.

I hope this takes care of my problems. I'll let you know when I get it done next week. If it does, I'll be happy to send you the repair order so you can show it to your dealer.
    thanks, keep me updated....
  • ls2004ls2004 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab in the silver color. My door moldings have bumps in them. There is a bump in each moulding. The front bumps are closer to the back end of the door and then back doors, the bumps are closer to the front end of the door. These bumps are in the same spot on each peice. Has anyone ever heard of this before and if so what did you do? Buy new? Thanks!
  • dlpirodlpiro Member Posts: 3
    When I went to fold in my passenger mirror it snapped and now swivels loosely. Tried to pry open and noticed the retainer on the spring is off. Any suggestions removing the plastic mirror housing and resetting the spring?
    I did the same thing and when it went "snap", the plastic pieces inside the mirror all fell out in little pieces. Never saw a spring. I could be wrong though. Ended up replacing the whole mirror assembly. Took about 15 minutes.
    Yea, went to fold in and snap! Tried to remove plastic cover and while pulling apart can see a spring with a retainer clip loose. I guess the retainer slips over the spring and shaft to hold mirror down. Anyway, how much it cost for a new unit?

dan
    (non-oem) for around $60. I bought one several years ago for the rado for just about the same. I also lucked out cause both trucks were black and so was the mirror. Any other color will need to be painted. Same if you order oem. Just did a quick search and turned 468 items matching silverado mirrors. Just make sure it has the plug for the power mirror and isn't a manual one.
  • oscgolfoscgolf Member Posts: 3
    Well I guess no one else has had this problem (I have the other post about the stuck tailgate)... Just wondering, have you had your fixed yet?... Gene
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I had a 2004 1/2 ton that did the same thing & saw serveal on parking lots that had the same problem. that was a flaw with those trucks. My friend & me had ours trucks fixed under warranty.They replace the trim on the side in body shop.
  • ls2004ls2004 Member Posts: 6
    If the truck is not under warranty anymore, is it worth the money to fix them? Did the ones that your warrantys covered do the same thing?
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    No They didn't do it as long as i had the truck.I got rid of the truck at 30000 miles because of major problems some that they said was normal & wouldn't fix.I now know the problems wasn't normal because i read were other owners are having to fix their trucks at their expense after their warranty goes out.
    Found A new Non OEM mirror on Ebay for $28.00 plus shipping! Bought it. Thats got to be a whole lot better than going to Chevy for it. Thanks for your comments.

dan
  • gmc19gmc19 Member Posts: 3
    One place that I found is ebaymotors. If you keep watching you can find them cheaper than this sometimes, but this is a link to what you are looking for. I don't know how much these would cost from the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-98-CHEVY-GMC-4PC-CHROME-WHEEL-TRIM-Tahoe-Yukon- -Truck_W0QQitemZ200197585796QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200197585796
  • bigbear5bigbear5 Member Posts: 2
    Mine did the same thing on my 07 Silverado, luckily its covered under the bumper to bumper warranty! :shades:
  • petekerwienpetekerwien Member Posts: 1
    I need to locate a (plastic) rear passenger side dually fender. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks. :sick:
    After waiting 2 weeks for parts to come in, I took it up there and it made absolutely NO difference. Needless to say I am not happy at all. The creaking gets worse every day. I'll be at the dealer on Monday morning when they open to see what the next step is.

I too am quickly joining the group of people on the forum that regret buying this truck every time I get in it. :mad:
  • textrucktextruck Member Posts: 3
    Any updates? I have an '08 (6350 miles) crew and the cab creaks as well. it does it if it's warm weather. I have had it in the shop twice already for the front brakes squealing. I am turning my truc :lemon: k in to the dealer about the reaking next week.
    I took it back in Monday. They went around and treated all of the weather stripping with some special "GM Seal Treatment". The Windows, Door Seals, etc. It has stopped the creaking. I'm not sold on it yet for 2 reasons. 1. it is still pretty cold, supposed to hit 60 this weekend though so we'll see. 2. I've read from other posters that the dealership did the same thing and the sound comes back a few days later.

We'll see what happens over time.

It is amazing how much more I like my truck when it isn't creaking. Last weekend I was ready to put a big bow on it and drive it through the dealership front window.
    I thought I would follow up with people regarding this creaking problem. I have had it into the dealership 5 times for the "wooden boat creaking" sounds and it has yet to be repaired. the last time they did something to the headliner, and it did actually stop for about 3 weeks, however is back now after some heavy rains.

I'm very frustrated as I absolutly hate driving the truck with the creaking noises. I now have a customer service rep from GM assigned to me. We'll see what happens next.

Even if they can fix this truck, I really do regret purchasing it. I don't think all silverado's are like this, but this experience has let me know that GM still can't put together a vehicle with an interior that holds together. :lemon:
    Why do you keep taking it to the same dealership 5 times?

Sounds to me like an incompetent dealer. I'd have move on to another dealer after the second go around. If you had called GM customer service they would've told you the same thing and given you a list of dealers that you could visit in your area. Also, being that it's a Chevy unless you live in the desert I'm sure they would be a bunch in your area.

This being a pride thing among dealers what I've found is that the second dealer would take it like a challenge especially if you mentioned that you had taken it in twice to ABC dealer and they couldn'f fix it.
    Dealership said a new bulletin came out reference creaking. They installed a noise reduction tape, so far it has helped, about 90% of creaking gone. Will have to see if it lasts. :)
    I got that message last thursday after a heated discussion with the dealer. On my truck I've isolated the problem to the fat weather stripping that runs across the top of both doors. From the front quarter panel all the way to half-way down the back door. If I take silicone lubricant and wipe it down the creaking is gone completely for a week or so, or a really hard rain. I can actually see the weather strip sort of deteriorating.

I spoke with the dealership about this and the noise reduction tape. The service manager said that the tape is usually a temporary solution that lasts for a few thousand miles. The good news (hopefully) is that he said it is usually a precursor to a part replacement and rattled of an example with the Malibu and a similar problem.

I'm going to try and get in there next week for the tape.

Thanks for the update.
    My '08 crew cab creaks as well, my drivers door also ratttles. How do I identify "fat" weather striping? Where do they put the tape? Thanks for your help.
  • gordoz71gordoz71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 07 GMC Sierra SLE1 (New Body Style). I too have experienced cab creaking, but only when it rains, or when the weather is generally wet. I did take it back to the dealership and they could not address the issue. Additionally, I have developed a clunking sound in the rear end. It only happens when the body rolls laterally. It sounds like a hollow clunk. I have no idea what it is. I took it to the delearship for that as well, and they said that it was normal body noise. I know better and will be taking it to another dealer shortly. Otherwise, I love my truck. I actually bought it after having traded an 07 Silverado Classic that was nothing but problems. I would be curious to hear about similar rear-end clunking problems. Thanks.
    Well tape worked well for the first two days and now I can hear the rattles coming back.
    In reference to the clunking noise I can tell I had a issue with the differential.When I would come to a stop it would feel as if someone would hit me from behind.

My truck has become a topic of many conversations at work also since five of us bought trucks all at the same time but different brands. Now all I hear is the other lots have vehicles that don't rattle..............
    It runs along the very top of the cab. It is about 2 inches wide. The key to making the noise stop is to use some silicone lubricant the front AND the back. I believe the creaking is actually coming from between the strip and the roof of the cab and not the strip and the door. I don't even mess with lubricating the seals that run completely around where to door meets the cab, doesn't seem to make any difference.
    I have information for you on that clunking sound as well. I had taking it in for the same clunking noise. There is actually a service bulletin on that. They put in some kind of spring spacers in the rear leaf springs. I do think that it helped, maybe...

What could have been the real cause is the rear seat belts. Those things will hit the sides and make a really deep clunking sound, not the kind of noise you would think they would make. I would have I never of guessed that they were actually making the sound I was hearing until I buckled them and it quit. Make sure you hook them into those little clips so they don't flop around.

I experienced this clunking only when there was lateral motion as well, so I'm betting it is 1 of the 2 things listed above. I would seriously try buckling the seat belts in the back and driving over a curb a few times first, then go after the service bulletin which is number 03-03-09-002
    I was afraid of the creaking coming back with that tape. Lubricating that top strip along the top is getting me by for now. I have a reminder set on my calendar to call the Dealership every Tuesday to see if there is an update.

If you get any more info on the problem please pass it along. I will do the same.
    Thanks, I pressed the door, while shut, against the stripping at the top of the door, it made the exact creaking sound. What type of silicone? Like a grease? I had the clunking sound as well when my truck levels off after a stop, doesn't do it all the time. I have buckled all my belts in the rear and it still does it. Thanks again.
    It just needs to be some silicone spray. You can pick it up at any auto parts store. The stuff I have specifically states on there "For weather stripping". Actually if you read in the manual GM states to do this every 6 months or a year as routine maintenance, we just have to do it once a week...
    Has anyone made any progress on this. I'm still having to clean my weather stripping once a week and the dealers have been no help.
    I've used silicone grease in the past and it lasts way longer than the spray. If I remember correctly it was $25 a tube but on a recent visit to that website I noticed you can get considerably more for the same price.
This discussion has been closed.