Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Audio and Entertainment Systems

Comments

• upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I believe it stands for radio data something or other. It allows you to view info beamed from FM radio stations (song title, station name). Fairly old technology from what i remember. Does that sound about right?
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    thanks. I have seen that in a lot of cars, even cheap cars. I was surprised when I didn't see in my 2007 MDX. But, I never had XM before. I never listen to regular radio anymore, so it doesn't much matter. I love the uncensored comedy on XM150!!
  • biggiechribiggiechri Member Posts: 3
    Hey...did you ever find out the problem? mine does the same thing and we had it at the dealer today all day and they couldnt find a thing. Said it isnt something they ever heard of before so they dont know how to fix.
  • suvhuntsuvhunt Member Posts: 27
    Hi, has any one heard a louding crack/popping sound on starting up their car? I have 07 MDX and I hear it on occasion, haven't been able to figure out when it will occur. I vaguely remember seeing someone posting about it before but now I can't find it. Obviously, the dealer was unable to reproduce it. It is definitely coming from the speakers and it's buggin' the heck out of me. Thanks for any hints.
    I have an '07 base model with the standard stereo. I keep customizing my audio settings (bass, treble, etc) but eventually they keep going back to the default standard settings. I don't know why this is happening and why my settings aren't being saved. the dealer cant find out what is wrong. And it doesnt have anything to do with the other remote...it doesnt go to the other saved settings, it goes to DEFAULT settings for either driver about every 7-10th time you get in the car.
    See the threads in the clock is erratic posts. The clock is fine, it's the keys. You need to lock and unlock with the key to get the settings for that key.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

waverley, "Acura MDX Clock Erratic" #1, 16 Dec 2007 3:27 pm

We'll tweak the title a bit so maybe it'll be easier to find that discussion.
  • scooterlibbyscooterlibby Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody out there done any major system upgrades to the stock 'premium' system? I've just begun researching options to replacing all the stock speakers w/ higher end and putting in factory system enhancer(s) and upgraded amps.

Has anybody been down this road and can share feedback?
    NO it is not the remotes. It goes to the DEFAULT settings every 8-10 times regardless of the presets on either remote. It doesnt go to the other remotes settings. And it doesnt matter which remote or which driver.
    Sorry. I have no idea then. Good luck. Let us know what you find out. Maybe the batteries in the remotes are dead, maybe the remote chip is fried. That's where I would start.
    So I get a letter from XM saying that they're going to graciously renew my yearly subscription for $145 today.

I don't think so.......

I paid $75 last year for the renewal, I'm not going to pay any more than that.

The customer service rep said I had to talk to the "cancellation department" to get a cheaper rate.

She asked why I didn't want to pay $145........it's too expensive?????

OK sir, that's fine.

Sir, what channels do you like?

What????????

Oh,alright......I like the '80s channel.

OK Sir, we would like you to continue enjoying the '80s channel at the reduced rate of $75 a year.

Thanks, I'm still probably getting screwed....
    Doc

You probably got a great (mistake) deal the first year. It looks like they gave you the rate as if you had another radio. You can add another radio for $6.95 a month, if you are paying for a radio at the regular price. I signed up for three years and paid ~ $120 a year. So, $145 for one year isn't bad. With the upcoming merger (it WILL happen, I predict), I would sign up for as long as possible. They are talking about giving customers the option of buying what channels they want. But, I have all the channels under my plan. I bet they are going to have to give us all the channels under both systems, once the merger happens. I could be wrong.
    dms,

Actually, the $75/year rate I received was the result of a promotional code that I learned of through edmunds. Its on a thread here somewhere... winback or something like that. My feeling is that they're lucky to get my money at all with the competition they have with my ipod and I told 'em so. ;)
    you got a great deal. I wish I had heard about it. By the way, did you ever decide to do something about the seat issue and the active head restraints that are missing on the early run MDXs (like ours)?
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    I had XM on my ES350 with 3-month trial which expired few months ago, I did not renew and now I get offers every week and the latest one is @19.99 for 5 months with no re-activation fee. Hope this helps...
  • davidovichdavidovich Member Posts: 2
    OK feel stupid. got our new 08 MDX ENT/Tech home and can't find the aux jack for the ipod. the sticker says we have one. not in glove compartment, not in center console.
    I see the RCA jacks in back, but thats not it is it?
    Help
  • kadmommykadmommy Member Posts: 10
    I have an '07 tech/ent and I can't seem to find an aux jack either. I see lots of people saying it's in the console -- I have an outlet in the console and that's it. No other plugs. Any suggestions? The itrip just doesn't cut it -- too much interference. Best option?
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    I thought that the Tech version had a mini stereo plug right on the stereo itself when I looked at it.

On my '08 base model the 3.5mm stereo plug is on the front side of the interior armrest area behind a rubber cover.
    Now you have me curious.....

I'll have to look at the interior of my '07 sport/ent to see if I missed any jacks. I thought you had to order the ipod jack as an accessory?
  • norm885norm885 Member Posts: 1
    There is no audio jack inside the center console on the ENT package. You have to use the RCA jacks on the rear of the console. Push AUX and turn up the volume.
    I suppose I should read the owner's manual sometime...... :blush:
  • sam131sam131 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a base 08 MDX 3 mo ago with a dealer-installed Acura tow hitch.

The radio has never been able to retain any presets on FM or AM bands for more than a week. The presets just randomly default to the factory settings - 87.7 on FM and 530 for AM - several days after being programed. When they disappear, they ALL disappear, except for the XM presets. Curiously, the XM presets have never disappeared. We've taken the car back to the dealer 4 times for this problem (as well as for broken A/C and brake problems, which were repaired under warranty)

At the first service visit, the dealer said the key fobs were not programmed correctly. They reprogrammed the key fobs. The problem still occurred.

At the second visit, they made us feel like we were doing something wrong and told us that when they programmed the stations, the radio worked just fine. "Are you sure you know how to program the radio stations?" (Could you be any more patronizing?)

On the third visit, they changed out the radio tuner (at least that's what they told us) after consulting with a regional Acura rep. But the problem STILL occurred.

At the fourth visit, the regional rep finally told us that Acura is aware that this problem exists, but they don't have a fix for it yet. (So much for being up front about things) The dealer was instructed to "release" the car back to us and we were told to contact Acura Corporate Customer Service, which we did.

The customer service rep admitted that this is not an isolated issue, but they cannot tell us when a remedy will be available. We asked them to replace the vehicle, since it has been back to the dealer 4 times within the past 3 months for a total of about 15 days, but they flat out refused.

It has been an extremely disappointing and frustrating experience! This has been the worst new car experience we've ever had. We've owned other Honda products, as well as BMWs and Fords.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Has anyone else with this problem been able to get their MDX fixed?

I'm also looking for suggestions on how to deal with Acura. We already cited our state's Lemon Law, but they said they are not bound by the law since this problem doesn't affect the safety or drivability of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, or tips!!
  • mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking to plug in an ipod as well. Have a 2008 Tech/Ent. Any ideas? Do I need an extra cord? And where to plug in?
  • sam131sam131 Member Posts: 2
    Lo and behold, about a week later after the above post, out of the blue, we get a call from our local Acura dealer service rep telling us that they have another replacement radio (this is the second one). They told us that this radio definitely did not have the known defect. So we took the car back in, for the fifth time, and I'm happy to report that the radio has FINALLY been fixed. We've had the car for well over a month now and it works as it should. Acura also agreed to some monetary compensation for our troubles.
    In the end, we are satisfied with the outcome, but it has been a very unpleasant experience and is well below our expectations for a luxury brand.
  • mayor5mayor5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I just purchased an '06 MDX Touring and glad to read that it isn't just me thinking the sound system is sub-par. Especially after having it at the dealer for service and to check the audio system... of course, no problems.

So, seriously considering an after-market upgrade. Looking for recommendations.

Thx!
    I have an '04 with basically the same sound system and I think it is the subwoofer that's the culprit. Shakes and rattles even with the "bass" knob in the neutral position. By upgrade, do you mean replacing components and speakers? That is going to be costly.
  • peetertpeetert Member Posts: 124
    We recently purchased an '05 CPO MDX Touring w/o NAV and RES. We would like to add an overhead ( or headrest mounted) dvd for our longer trips. I tried one of those portable players sitting on the opened front seat armrest, but my daughter in the 3rd row had a hard time seeing it without leaning over the 2nd row seats. We use all 3 rows so viewing from the 3rd row is a must.

If anyone has installed either type, please let me know what issues you have had, if any, and which make/model you used. I have the factory radio with XM and HFL and would like whatever system we got to route through that as well, if possible.

Thanks,
    Peeter
    We have the factory nav in our '07 and it is a godsend.

They have a bunch of aftermarket overhead dvd players at circuit city, don't know much about them

Headrest dvd will not be visible from the third row.

Edit: a headrest dvd would not be optimally seen in the third row, i.e. "Billy, move your head so I can see the TV!" :P
  • ang8346ang8346 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 MDX with an aftermarket dealer installed DVD. It has an 11 inch screen that drops down from the roof just after the front seats which is viewable from the 3rd row seats. However, when the screen down it blocks the drivers rear mirror view. The DVD play unit is installed in front of the center console and has a remote control. There is a switch that allows it to play through the radio that gives it pretty good sound or there are wireless headphones so that a couple of people can watch DVD and others can listen to the radio. The wireless headphones are a bit testy depending on how you move youur head or where the sending antenna is located so we don't use them much. My grandkids enjoy the movies and it keeps them relatively quiet.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.
  • dst3dst3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2008 MDX basic but I am wondering how much better the Tech Package stereo is. I've read that the better stereo has two more speakers and twice the power but it is the quality of the sound much better? I don't need loud but I do appreciate quality. The dealer said the stereo's are the same but I don't trust car salesmen.

dt
  • dant5965dant5965 Member Posts: 4
    you have to purchase a cable from the Apple store that goes from a RCA connector to an Ipod head phone connector. Belkin also makes one.
  • dant5965dant5965 Member Posts: 4
    the RCA jacks in the back is it
  • jbratterjbratter Member Posts: 15
    I just bought an '04 MDX Touring with Nav. Fantastic ride!! stereo sounds ok with cd. haven't tried cassette. The 2 biggest things I almost held out for a 2005 was the satellite radio and bluetooth. I can get one of those bluetooth speakerphone units to put on the sunvisor, but I'm struggling with Sirus. There is no "AUX" input that i can see. The buttons say am/fm/cd/cassette, so I don't think there's an option to hook up something directly. I really don't want to hook something up through the fm modulator, as I've heard the sounds quality is pretty lousy, and a direct connection is better.

Could I somehow use the cassette input to route to a sirius unit? If not, if I used an aftermarket headunit, would it be able to take advantage of all the speakers in the car, or just 4 like most units?

Not sure how to proceed to get Sirius. We've had it in our cars for years, and we definitely want it in the mdx, and preferably some kind of direct connection. I currently have a kenwood head unit in our (soon to be sold) minivan, so I can use that, but I would like to keep the clean look of the factory 6-cd player.

I'm so confused.... help!!!
    Have an '04 as well nav-less though. Bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 and suction cupped it to the trip computer screen. :P Can't help you with the sirius predicament. You know, rv65 seems to know a lot about these things. He posts on the TL and VW threads a lot.
  • nuance2010nuance2010 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Im looking for an aftermarket navi system for my 05 mdx. Would anyone please tel me what out there or any option i have... any help appreciated.
    thanks.
    Sean
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    this thread seems for Acuras from all diff years. I'm looking for just one good thread for 09 MDX (though I guess 08 is the same and mayb even 07?) like I had for the Subaru B9 Tribeca.

ppl shared tips and tricks like how to disable the seatbelt chime (which I want to do in the MDX but every thread you see about it on other forums, is always ppl yelling and arguing about how you should wear your seatbelt even though that isn't the question or the issue and ppl just want to know how to disable the chime and doesnt' meant they aren't going to wear it)

also in the Tribeca I was able to click the parking brake one click without engaging it so that you could view the dvd playing on the rse on the front nav screen when you hit nav. or you could disable that wire for the parking brake so you wouldn't have to click it.

couldn't figure out any way to get the dvd playing on rear screen on the front screen and manual doesn't mention anything so it may not be possible without aftermarket wiring.

i know you can have a diff sound source on the front then the back and i htink we did it on the way up on a recent trip but the way back, couldn't figure out how to do that and our 1 1/2 yr old can't use headphones so we had to listen to a dvd we couldn't see. in my 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca i'd click the parking brake one click which wouldnt engage it and then at least we could glance at and see what she was watching instead of just listening to it.

even if we did figure out how to have music up front and her have the dvd audio in the back, that is kind of distracting to have 2 diff audios playing.

I may want to get an additional aftermarket screen for up front too if that would be easier to tie in to the rear entertainment system plus that would leave the center nav screen for other stuff but the fact that on a less expensive car i didn't have to do that and it worked on the center nav screen was a plus.

not even sure where i can put a screen up front besides maybe the passenger visor. i know the acura dealerships do the screens in headrest and may do one in front of the car seat so she doenst have to look up at the center drop down screen but more importantly we need a screen up front for us.

i mean i didn't even need to get an ent. package then if i'm just going to get the screens in headrest but i figured having the factory dvd entertainment unit and screen helps and that way the wiring is in place and would make it easier to add screens. plus i did like the plug in the center console figuring it would come in handy so for devices that need a normal power source and whihle I did use a device that needed that power source to play video files froma hard drive which i figured would be more convenient thatn fumbling with dvds but i dont know that i'll always use that and ipod/mp3 player connection is more of an every day thing so its kind of annoying that the Ent. of all packages doesn't ahve the ipod connection in the center console.

instead you have to use a red and white rca audio cable to single 3.5mm male on the other end of the cable into iphone/ipod/mp3 player and then hit aux up front. works well enough but i wasn't able to have the aux video device with rca jacks plugged in and ipod at same time. also its a little less neat to have the plug in behind the center console with a 2 to 1 cable rather then being able to use a normal ipod 1 to 1 cable from the more ideal center console. youd think the Ent. would have better ipod connectivity not less convenient.

so yeah where can I find an 09 Acura MDx tips and tricks thread starting with disabling the seat belt chime and mainly nav and rse tips and tricks and aftermarket ideas.

The Subaru B9x Tribeca thread was full of great tips and tricks and aftermarket ideas as well.

I see nothing like that for the MDX. its almost like because there are more owners of this vehicle there is less info or filled with ppl asking basic stuff that its in the manual but nothing useful being shared on any mdx thread.
  • austinsfsaustinsfs Member Posts: 9
    I recently started my search for a pre-owned 2007 MDX, and one of the cars I looked at (at Carmax) had everything imaginable on it -- entertainment, tow package, running boards, full roof rack, etc. Except for the mileage (60K) and convincing my husband, I would have snapped it up. Kind of wish I had, actually -- though hubby wants us to find one with lower miles (which would be nice provide has all aforementioned bells and whistles).

When I asked the dealer about an iPod jack (which seems to me to be an obvious thing to include in any car at this level), he showed me a jack/charger in the glove box. He indicated that it was "integrated with the navigation system" so that the nav knob would become the iPod switch, and that I could simply leave my iPod charging in the glove box, and manage my music using the nav knob.

As I only had my (non-compatible) iPhone with me, I wasn't able to test this myself.

Does anyone know if this might have been true? The very idea of an integrated iPhone screen via nav, and a jack that also charges the iPod while it plays....for amazing sound quality from my iPod...well, it nearly sounds too good to be true. If this a MFG product/upgrade, an after-market upgrade, or something that doesn't exist?

Please advise. Looks like leased Acura MDXs from 2007 should be hitting the market in October (when the first ones were leased)...I, for one, can't wait.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ppl shared tips and tricks like how to disable the seatbelt chime

I think the problem is that the seatbelt chime has an interlock meaning that if you disable it you're losing something else - like lights or various electronics or whatever.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • suspendmixsuspendmix Member Posts: 43
    Nope, there isn't an integrated IPOD connection, just an auxiliary connection that will play a signal from your headphone jack of your IPOD (or any MP3 player for that matter). It will not show music, title, track, etc. information. That might be coming up for the 2010 MDX.
  • firstacurafirstacura Member Posts: 12
    Considering to get a 2009 MDX Tech package. How does one connect an ipod? Is it only through a aux in or is there an integrated connection that will show track names etc.

Is there an accessory that the dealer can install?

Appreciate any information on the best way to connect an ipod. Thanks.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    im pretty sure the tech has a single mp3/ipod jack in the center console.

annoyingly the Ent. package (i've got tech/ent) doesn't have that but has an audio (red and white rca) and video jack behind the center console. this is in some ways better and to have that extra connectivity. but then you are losing the mp3/ipod jack inside the center console.

I use a red and white to single jack y cable which works great for my iphone (can use it for ipod or anymp3 player) but its a little bit suck that its behind the center console and exposed/visible and not hidden in the center console.

and no on screen display to show track name or anything which is kind of a disappointment when Acura is supposed to have the best tech and you have the tech and ent. package but still no integrated ipod connectivity display.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    If you can wait for the 2010 then go for it. The 2010 has a USB port which will give you fully integrated iPod support. However you can only use 5th generation and up iPods.
  • hodog16hodog16 Member Posts: 53
    That dealer is full of imagination.

The non-ent models have an Aux port in the arm rests (using a headphone jack) while the ent models have RCA ports at the back of the arm rest like x5killer described.

Amazon sells an aux-to-ipod dock wire that has better fidelity then just a typical aux to headphone jack wire. My ipod sounds great through the stereo, just have to leave it out and control things manually though.
  • frankf2frankf2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Guys,

Anyone has known or has some kind experience to turn MDX rear DVD player to be a TV, so it can receive major TV channel signals through the air. I search it on web and Audiovox has a model can add a tuner to receive TV signal. How about MDX overhead DVD? Any infor will be very appreciated.
  • otg8rgrlotg8rgrl Member Posts: 5
    I just remember what the salesman told me when he sold us our MDX and we were asking about the iPod hook-up. I think all of them have the jack/charger in the glovebox, however, he told us that the disadvantage is that you can't really decided what you want to play on your iPod. Basically it is in the glovebox and you can only turn your volume up/down. If you hook it up with the audio/video cables in the back seat atleast you will have access to the iPod to change songs. Hope this helps.
  • fatwalletfatwallet Member Posts: 17
    I recently bought a 2009 MDX with technology. Want to get the after market DVD entertainment system put in. Which system do you recommend? How much is usual installation? Do dealers install (if you buy the system)? I am in Atlanta area.
  • dmortazdmortaz Member Posts: 26
    I had to respond when I read your line about "Acura is supposed to have the best tech....."! We are Lexus transplants and have been sorely disappointed with our 2005 MDX experience specially when it comes to Entertainment and Audio System that it comes with it! AM/FM receptions are so poor we can't use them!

And as if that was not reminder enough, then one dealer during routine service, told us that we needed to replace the transmission!! But the problem was not duplicated or confirmed by another dealer!

The say, 1st impressions are important and this was our 1st Acura and I doubt we will even buy an Acura!
  • econnoreconnor Member Posts: 1
    there is currently no sound from our 05 MDX stereo. Ocassionly it will work, or we'll get something from the subwoofer, but for the most part nothing. controls seem to work, can change radio stations and play cds...just no sound!! Checked all the fuses and everthing seems fine!!

Before heading to the delaership any suggestions?
  • fl2009fl2009 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering buying a 2010 mdx.
    Is it true the iphone connectivity only truly works with the nav package?
    That is, the std/base model has the plug but the iphone/ipod needs to be controlled by the iphone itself--not the controls on the car.
    thats what the dealer said; does it sound right?