Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Service Engine Soon / ABS / Trac Off

Comments

• opaljopalj Member Posts: 1
    i have all three lights that come on my pontiac grandam 2000 ,abs,trac off and service engine lights that come on and stay on does anyone know what the problem might be?
  • krazytrukkerkrazytrukker Member Posts: 1
    i have a ABS code reader, can anyone tell me what the codes mean????????? C1226-exessive wheel speed variation;C1233-right front wheel speed sensor circuit open or shorted????????????? please let me know ASAP PLEASE.....
  • brkck1brkck1 Member Posts: 1
    ses,svs,trac off,and abs lites all at the same time: 2000 grand am se : front rotors,pad,calipers, and hubs have been replaced within the last couple months. is there any "reset", or are the hubs/wss shot again?.... it's one of those WT %#$ issues.
  • jimsmith2354jimsmith2354 Member Posts: 16
    - had done the same on my 2003 GT, but once in a while I still get the lights, but have always gone away. The computer software is very sensitive to any variations in the sensors - maybe have the rears checked when the lights are on.
  • rj99grandamrj99grandam Member Posts: 2
    In the fall I put new struts on the front of my 99 Grand Am SE. Now the back one has broke and my ABS and trac off lights keep coming on. Usually if I hit a bump and it doesn't have to be a hard bump. Does anyone know if there is a correlation between the struts and the lights coming on?
  • rj99grandamrj99grandam Member Posts: 2
    The temperature gauge rises on my 99 Pontiac Grand Am if I am sitting at a light, pumping gas, or sitting still for any length of time. Does anyone know what might be causing this? It has never actually overheated.
  • darevalodarevalo Member Posts: 1
    hey man it might be the fans on your car or try changing the temperature sensor
  • rachelamarachelama Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 pontiac grand am se (2.2 ecotec) occasionally starts shaking, wanting to stall while driving. then my trac off light comes on and then the engine light starts blinking. the car will drive slowly and being to slowly accerlate until it drives properly again and the lights go off. when the speeds slows down it will start the same process again. does anyone know what might this be? we have replaced the fuel pump and crank shaft seal and the spark plugs. oil changes are regular and we had the exhaust cleaned.
  • jimsmith2354jimsmith2354 Member Posts: 16
    The "trac off" light is usually related to wheel speed sensors. My 2003 GT has gone through 2 fronts (1 bearing w/sensor and 1 sensor) in less than 70K miles. The ABS warning will usually come ON if any wheel sensor is bad - or the computer thinks it is...

The "engine light" usually means an engine problem - as if you didn't notice... Many of the car parts places will scan your car for free. Write down what they tell you, then go to a second, write down those codes (& causes) and start with the cheapest sensors first - unless there is a very clear and definite diagnosis. Many times more than one code will be recorded. They can clear the codes and you can come back when the car acts bad again and get a fresh read of the codes.

Mechanically that 2.2 ecotec is good for 150K to 200K miles. I've got a Corsica with a 2.2 with over 160K and still running strong, but sometimes the sensors don't last that long.
  • kirktimkirktim Member Posts: 1
    What will cause the engine as reflected by the RPM gauge to fluctuate while driving at speeds of 55 to 65 mph, where the gauge will intermittently increase to 2,500 then back down to 2,100? The cars powertrain has just over 100k miles, and is absolutely sound otherwise.

Other than regular oil changes I have not replaced the fuel filter, pcv valve, or timing belt, and the car has never required any services or maintenance by a dealer or other maintenance facility.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It could be shifting in/out of overdrive, or the torque converter could be locking/unlocking.
  • nicholasamrnicholasamr Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1999 grand am SE with 98,000 miles on it. The car ran perfectly until i brought it home, sometimes it wont start and has no power like the battery is dead. If i pop the hood and wiggle the positive cable on the battery it starts. Its a little rough when it first starts but it drives fine. Now the service engine soon light and the trac off light come on. This all started after i had new tires put on the car. It seems to have started shifting really hard since the trac light warning has come on. Any ideas about what this might be. I bought this car because we had to have something with backseats, since we are expecting a baby, but now are afraid its not going to be reliable. I didnt want a car payment, but now i'm thinking i should have used the $2,500 i paid for it as a down payment on something newer with less miles. Any ideas on what causes this or how much it will cost to fix? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated
  • lulubell1lulubell1 Member Posts: 3
    So does it still come on ? Have you found out what to do. Mine comes on if I drive the car for like over 20 mins, or if I have to make frequent stops.The trac off light will come on and no to long after that the car will shut off. I have to wait maybe about 30 mins to and hour and it will start back up.But my car isnt over heating. It sucks because I dont trust the car at all.
  • nicholasamrnicholasamr Member Posts: 2
    i had the code read for the check engine light, it read p0108 which is manifold absolute pressure, i was going to put it in the shop to get the MAP sensor changed and the vacuum lines checked for a leak. Since its either one or both of those, but within the last week, the check engine light and the trac off light has gone off and the car is running perfectly, no hard idling or hard shifting and it does not die, hoping it stays off and runs fine for a awhile. Th
  • honda_eaterhonda_eater Member Posts: 1
    How high does rise? cause just idling in my 03 gt will rise above 90 in warm weather
  • danimal49danimal49 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Am. It seems to run fine, until the trac off light comes on. This has been happening for about a month. Whenever it comes on, it seems to shift hard at around 25-30 MPH. It also turned on while i was going 65-70 on interstate, the cruise stopped working and it was hard to gain speed. When i stop and shut the car off and turn it back on the light turns off and it drives fine. I have read alot of similar posts to this online, but no answers. I also took it to 2 different shops, but they could not find a problem, the light wasnt on then though. Anyone have any clue what could be happening? I'm planning on unhooking the battery and resetting the computer. Other than that i have no idea what to do. Thanks!
  • annie80annie80 Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 Pontiac Grand AM SE occasionally starts shaking, My check engine lights blinks regularly and today the engine check light came on (isn't blinking anymore) and it says check engine. Sometimes when I'm driving the RPM will go from 2 to 4 and then go back down to 2. I got an oil change last week and I know I have to get a radiator flush could that be the cause? Or do you have any idea what this could be? :confuse:
  • jcam1jcam1 Member Posts: 1
    The abs and ets lights stay on in my daughters 99 Grand Am. My handy neighbor has replaced both wheel hubs, but it has not taken care of the problem. The problem was not corrected after each installation. Now, we are assuming it must be in the wiring, which seems to be a more difficult to attempt than the hubs. Any suggestion as to the path of the harness wires would be most helpful. Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. We can get the code read for $60, but they have said it will still be hit or miss. Does that seem correct?
    You can buy your own code scanner for $30 or less. It's not hard to do. Just reading the codes won't always point to the exact problem, but gives an area to start looking in.
  • shark187shark187 Member Posts: 1
    hey you there chevynana. what a coincidence me myself have a 2003 grand am Gt and those 3 lights come uo on my dash too. i´ve been doing some kind of a investigation hehehe on youtube and i found out that it should be the abs sensor the cause of the 3 lights showed up at the dash. if anybody can help with an other opinion, be my guest please.
  • poetofgapoetofga Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Gran AM 4 cylinder, rough idle rough driving up hill, parked and stopped in drive with Service Engine Light and Trac off, I had just replaced the spark plug wires it ran smooth for a while but started up again, I replaced the wireset and runs like a champ now. No more track off light or Service Engine Light. I also did an oil change. I have taken off the battery and waited 10 minutes, I was told by an "EXPERT" this will not reset the computer.
  • newtogtnewtogt Member Posts: 1
    Here is a great tip i learned to get rid of those bling on the dash!! Turn car to "run" position but do not start it. Just turn key position to run then hit accelerator hard to the floor three times. I know sounds crazy but hey it works!!
    After you do this start it up and the bling (lights) should be gone.
  • crossednailscrossednails Member Posts: 2
    Hey my 99 grandam is doing the exact same thing... it is a misfire.. check the spark plugs and coils if thats not it get it into a garage asap or you are going to blow your engine
  • aemiller13aemiller13 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 pontiac grand am.Both the ABS and BRAKE lights are on. they came on after my friend pulled the e-brake on my car and swung it into a snow bank. ever since that niether of the lights have gone off. im just wondering what to try, ive check the fluid, the fuse and the e-brake handle is all the way down. i am positive that my abs dont, however my e-brake does work. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • kerrigkerrikerrigkerri Member Posts: 1
    try adding tranmission fluid, seeing you dont have a dipstick that is the way of telling you you need some fluid. hope this helps
  • whastingswhastings Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Am was doing the same thing. We took it to the dealership we bought it from and they said it was a flex pipe in the exhaust and replaced it and a valve. No more surging!
  • unknown01unknown01 Member Posts: 1
    It seems like many of these cars are having these problems. I own a 2003 pontiac grand am gt and my ABS, Service Vehicle Soon, and Trac Off lights are on after minutes of turning on my vehicle and driving. What the heck is going on?
  • rayray91704rayray91704 Member Posts: 2
    ABS and brake lights could just be a lose wire. mine did it looked for help n found it was just a loose wire in front end by tire...fixed it light didnt come back on for a few months wire was loose again. try that
  • rayray91704rayray91704 Member Posts: 2
    trac lights as well loose wire get under there n check it out. mine dont always come on right when i trun the car on most time once i get up the road a bit, but like i said it was just a loose wire so deff give that a look.
  • enigmajcenigmajc Member Posts: 11
    I also had the ABS, Service Vehicle Soon, and Trac Off lights on my 2004 Grand Am GT about 4 yrs ago. It was both a wheel sensor harness and hub bearing that had to be replaced. :(
  • parkinglinksparkinglinks Member Posts: 1
    How much did you pay to fix wheel sensor harness and hub bearing that had to be replaced? Did you have work done at Gm dealer? Thank you in advance for your help.
  • xtreamdnbfreakxtreamdnbfreak Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 04 grand am gt, all 3 of these lights come on either when i turn the car on, or very shortly after. Im also experiencing, that before the lights come on, if they havent already when i started the car, that when i step on the break, it feels like the ABS is locking up and kind of pushing back on the pedal and vibrating the break pedal...... ive scanned some of the posts here and havent seen anyone post that problem with the lights.... any help?
  • the_kernelthe_kernel Member Posts: 1
    I noticed someone else asked you how much this repair cost. Can you please answer this question! I also need this done....thanks
  • cruz3cruz3 Member Posts: 1
    I try the fluid but it wasn't that
  • jacobbigshowjacobbigshow Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2005 Grand AM with 105,000 miles, had the Off Trac, Check Engine and ABS light as well and a smell of gasoline, brought it into Strauss charged me $500+ for a tune up could not find a problem. 2 weeks later same problem, what should I do?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Happy New Year,

Is "Strauss" a GM Dealership? If so, we are available to follow up on this with you, if you like. Please send us an email with more information, including: your name/username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN, current mileage (I realize you posted it here, but at times it can be difficult to connect emails to posts on Edmunds) and the name of your dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    No Strauss is an auto store like PetBoys not related to GM.
    Can't speculate about the gas smell, but the other warnings all coming on at the same time usually means that a wheel sensor is bad, dirty, or somehow damaged. Each wheel has sensor behind it as part of the ABS system.
    Is that an easy thing to check yourself? Or do I need to bring it into a dealer as I figured out when I turn left the warning lights come on, right never.
    I really can't say without knowing more about your ability and experience. If it's happening only when you turn then it may be a bad wheel hub. Excessive play in the hub can cause the sensor to lose contact with the stator (the sensor is fixed, the stator turns with the axle).
  • ryan60ryan60 Member Posts: 1
    i had this happen also. snow packed up in the cv axle and froze to the abs wire. so when i drove off the next morning the wires were basically stuck to the axle so the tore in two. easy fix the only two wires running to ur front brakes just wire nut them back together and zip tie them back like they were before
  • dsprings87dsprings87 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 se 2.4 liter making the same noise i replaced the left wheel bearing the left cv axle and lower ball joint none of which has fixed the problem if you have any info you can give me it would be greatly appreciated
  • calgarycrittercalgarycritter Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    I also have had this problem, when my dash says " service engine soon,ABS and Trac off " it is the wheel hub/ABS sensor which are all in one, am in the process of replacing the right side, at a shop it will cost be just over $500 and I own a 2001 Grand Am SE. For some reason the wires will crack/break. I replaced both 4 years ago and am now doing it again. must find some sort of protection for the connection

:shades:
  • mwilson3060mwilson3060 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Grand Am SE. did the same thing...the ABS and Trac off lights came on, and thanks to other replies, I figured out that it was a vacume leak. A four inch long, 1/4 inch ID Vaccume hose was dry rotted and was causing my car to stall out when idling. As long as I kept my foot on the gas it was fine, but I couldn't keep doing that, so I bought a hose, and it fixed the whole problem. Crazy!! One little hose caused all of that. Anyway, I hope that I helped! good luck
  • chevynanachevynana Member Posts: 6
    Got the hub done, but still have " service engine soon " light, found out it's my Daytimes, anyone know where the sensor is :cry: ? Figured out, turn on headlights before putting in gear stops the light from coming on but if I don't turn them on first once I put it into gear then the dash light comes on
  • maalimaali Member Posts: 1
    i have a grand am gt i rember it was raning i was trying to do a brinout and it started to slip but the tires were not moveing what do you think is is
    I have an 01 GA, trac would turn off, ABS lights on, service engine light on,, turned out to be a defective speed sensor ( in the hub ) it was spiking intermittently causing an alert to the computer
    you do realize you have a rev limitor,, mine ( have an 01 GA ) is set at 170 k,,am in the process of finding a programmer to change the limit level but it is prob what's causing the wheels not turning whilst trying to do a burn out GA's can be finicky but I love mine
  • flynfastflynfast Member Posts: 1
    I am having nearly the same problem and have tracked it down to the ABS wiring harness. Does anyone know of any step-by-step directions to replace this part and a corresponding wiring diagram? Also, do I have to replace the hub to do this job?
  • calgarycrittercalgarycritter Member Posts: 2
    I have been having ABS/TRAC OFF prob for a while. Each time I get it check turns out the wheel sensor is malfunctioning. I am now on hub number 4 in 13 months ( costs approx $500 CAD each time) and it's happening again. Not aftermarket parts, straight from GM, wish they made parts that would last. The sensor is inside the hub so must change the entire hub each time