Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Service Engine Soon / ABS / Trac Off

Comments

• daikendaiken Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 02 grand am his trac,abs service vehicle lights are on he started to get a loud noise from the front end he had a bad wheel bearing on LF i replaced that i have been working on cars for 25 years i have never heard this type of noise before but after i replaced the wheel bearing we took it for a test drive and the same noise was there when you start out the noise is slight but the faster you go the louder it gets like when a jet starts up i tried putting it in nuetral to see if it was a engine noise it wasent even in nuetral going down a hill with rpms at7-800 the faster i went the sound got louder and faster as i slowed down so did the sound so i put it up on jack stand and had my son put it in gear and let the wheels spin with no weight on them i got under the car and the noise seem to be coming from the back part of the tranny where the right side shaft goes in between there and engine but its not comming from engine it sounds louder at this point than directly under the tranny ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT THIS NOISE IS FROM and no the lights did not go out
  • nrbacarlnrbacarl Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 98 Grand Am. From time to time, it also would not start. It didn't act like a dead battery, but after a battery charger indicated that it might be a bad cell int he battery, I decide to replace it. When I went to remove the terminals, I notice that the positive one was corroded on the inside and was difficult to remove. Just for kicks, I removed the bolt and cleaned it up and put it back together.

Not only did it start right up, the lights on the instrument panel quit coming on intermittently, the radio display stayed on all the time and the volume control started working correctly.

All of the electronic gizmos on cars these days are great when they are working, but they sure don't seem to tolerate voltage and current variation well!

Now I have to find out why the fan won't kick in all of the time, causing it to overheat... (I'm at 214K miles, by the way...)
  • jdbonilljdbonill Member Posts: 1
    I am not a car guy by ANY stretch of the imagination. I have recently had a lot of trouble with my RPM's being way high in idle. Took it to the mechanic, and after a bunch of repairs, he still said that I need a new computer (PCM). He wanted to charge me about 600 for just the part. I have found the part new at a much cheaper price, and was told it was easy to repair. The problem is, I cant seem to find the computer under the hood. Any advice? I have a 2001 pontiac grand am, 2.4L
  • jimsmith2354jimsmith2354 Member Posts: 16
    The PCM (engine computer) is under the dash above the driver's left foot. Wait 4 Me Performance http://www.wait4meperformance.com/ has PCM for about $150
    If you do replace the PCM, you will need to take it somewhere to do a crank sensor relearn routine - on the 2003 3.4L engine anyway. By the way, my PCM does the same thing and the driver circuit for the idle motor seems to be the culprit - I'll know in a few days - as the PCM is getting replaced.
    Jim
  • scoot08scoot08 Member Posts: 8
    i have a 1996 grand am with the 2.4 in it. the car has 239000 miles on it. personally im shocked that its still on the road. well i got my tranny replaced about 1500 miles ago and it shifts kinda hard but no biggy. now my check engine light is on and flashing. i haev no idea why. i took it to autozone and they said that my air flow sensor i think is bad.. its the sensor on the throttle body...does anyone know why my light is flashing? i would advise that everyone with a GA get rid of it!!!
    With 230K on your Grand Am, your advise to get rid of all GAs seems without logic. Most high dollar German cars usually don't go that far. AutoZone is pretty good on price, (don't buy a warranty) and they should be able to show you the new MAP sensor and where is goes. A pretty easy DIY job. If you don't want to put the money into it, even with flashing lights, as long as it runs, drive it. The untimate way to recycle a car is to drive it til it stops....
    so i disconnected the battery and the light went off for like ten min.... i need major help cause the motor is old and tired should i put a new motor in it or junk it... i really am starting to get attached to this hunk of junk... how much is a new engine fo one i cant find one????
    Changing the motor and transaxle is very labor intensive with FWD (front wheel drive) cars. I've gotten good deals from eBay motors, but still way too much work to swap-out. The cheapest place would be your local junkyard, if they would / could do it. Don't expect it to be done quickly as they normally do work in their spare time. Quality could be a big question.
    I do believe it would be much better just to sell it to the junkyard and use the money for a first payment on a 3 or 4 year old used car. Buy a add-on warranty for a year is also my suggestion, especially if you don't work on cars.
    well im what you would say a self proclaimed mechanic... i have done all the work on my ga... i found that the motor mount is broke and need replaced... this car was good till i replaced the tranny now it seems that everything is going wrong with it.. i thought about going to a cheap car lot and try to trade it in but i dont think its worth much
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It's not. I would drive it until it dies and then give it a decent burial at a salvage yard.
  • miklamarmiklamar Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Pontiac Grand Am has 140k miles on it, and the engine light comes on when I reach about 50-55 mph. It acts sluggish, esp. going uphill. Someone said it may be the engine coil. If so, how much would that run to fix? Any ideas or suggestions?
    Take it to AutoZone to get a reading of the code(s), they can then tell you how much the parts are. Mechanics double the price for parts and add labor. Buying the part and doing it yourself is the lowest cost, but check the internet to see what is involved. Taking it to a mechanic will be the most expensive but maybe the most reliable - just don't agree to a whole lot of extra work - it's the old "gotta make a boat payment" joke...
    Has it ever had a tune up?
  • pr2008pr2008 Member Posts: 2
    I have a02 grand am,3.1 with 79,000 miles. The Service Vehicle Soon, Trac Off and ABS light come on, If my turn the car off and on the light go off. After 5 to 10 mines if a turn the car on the light come on.
  • pr2008pr2008 Member Posts: 2
    NO
  • romo4romo4 Member Posts: 1
    what are wheel speed sensors,I got my strut on the right side changed on saturday and on sunday my abs and trac off light comes on, when I'm driving it feels like the car is trying to leave from under me it also sometimes hesitate in the morning it doesnt come on only when I'm leaving work do you have any suggestions
  • ma1625ma1625 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Am. The ABS, Trac off light and service vehicle soon lights have starting coming on as soon as put the car in gear and it has hardly any power for a few seconds. I can stop turn the car off and they go off but then they come right back on when put into drive. Then today they all came on and I got to a stop sign and then there was a jerking type action in the back of the car it almost felt like my brakes were locking up after that the Security light came on and it will not go off at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
  • magnum3145magnum3145 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Grand Am GT. I think it has something to do with the ETS (Electronic Traction control System). I found that if I start my car and turn off the ETS, I don't get any more ABS, Trac Off and Service Engine Soon lights. It's just a matter of remembering to turn it off every time you start your car before putting it in gear. My car runs fine with it turned off, but if it's on, I get a slight hesitation in the gas peddle then, the light show. I hope this was helpful.
  • mimphis78mimphis78 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am that recently felt like it was missing. Low idle and low power. Autozone codereader said Cylinder 1 wasnt firing. I replace all the plugs and Plug Boots and its slightly better but it still feels sluggish and like the timing is off. Any ideas?
  • kimijokimijo Member Posts: 3
    I was told by a mechanic friend that the trac automatically goes off when anything happens to your wheels. I had to replace the wheel bearing hub assembly on the passenger side and now have the same problem on the drivers side, it sounds like a freight train coming through. they are just plain bad. I have had the car refuse to start due to a security issue. After the guy at autozone told me it was the passlock and how to reset it I saved $600, not going to the dealer. Now yesterday the car died right after I got gas. the gas light came on at approx. 1/8 of a tank and I went to get some. I hadn't been to this sunoco before, but i only use shell and sunoco and get better gas mileage since I started this. I had no problem when I stopped the car. I also had to wait on the guy ahead of me to finish cause he had blocked both pumps. I started my car right up and pulled forward, no indication of any problems. then after i got about 8 gallons. I went to leave and the car was hesitating and the engine just kept going, I let off the gas and then tried again and it was fine. then about 5 miles dowen the road I lost all power and the car would not start. I got it pulled home and it started right up. then choked and died. fuel or fire? it is firing and the fuel pump is working. so what is next?
  • kimijokimijo Member Posts: 3
    I also rented the code reader form autozone as I could not get my car there. it comes out as a pass, no codes. I have checked all of the fuses in all 3 boxes everything is fine tomorrow is the relays. I also know that after a problem is fixed the codes should be erased with this same diagnostic unit. we ar thinking the gas is bad. and it would not code for that.
  • shontashonta Member Posts: 1
    As I was driving this morning, my check Engine Soon light came on. I have no idea what that could have been, my car was driving smoothly. Can anyone tell me what that is?
  • gwhonda1gwhonda1 Member Posts: 2
    Here we go again, it is a sensor and a lot of money to fix. It does not mean you don't have brakes, you have regular brakes just not ABS. If you live in the snow you may want to get this fixed. I also found that if my tires were not equally inflated it kicked that sensor on also.

I will never buy another Pontiac again!!!!!!!!!!!
  • micwilliamsjmmicwilliamsjm Member Posts: 6
    I have read through all these posts and my car is doing the same thing....2.4, 93,000 miles on it. It has been hesitating and recently died while I was driving it. Had the cat convertor checked and it was not clogged, changed the fuel pump, changed the spark plugs. Drove it for about a half an hour and died again. Then we changed the crank sensor and the coil pack. I had the radiator flushed out last year because I had to change the water pump. My ABS, traction contol and service vehicle lights are all on. My service engine light was on, but we coded it and it just came up "misfire"...nothing else no codes or anything just "misfire". After changing all these parts we can drive the car and it wont die but there's still a hesitation there. I've been reading through all the suggestions and the ignition module keeps coming up...has anyone with similar problems changed the ignition module and had any luck? I also thought maybe it was water in the gas or bad gas. I just had the fuel filter changed last year, but thought about trying that as well. After the work I've just had done and the parts I'm up to about 400$ Looking for any suggestions....I've also seen about cleaning the EGR valve, and possibly the PCV valve??? I'm at a total loss here.
  • dsudeltadsudelta Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Grand Am and for the past 4-5 months I have been feeling a jerking while my car is idle (stop light, stop sign). My TRAC OFF light has been on for the past week and my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on and off. When I turn on the heat or defroster, i smell gas fuels that get worse when I accelerate. In September, I had a tune up and the fuel filter replaced. Still the car jerks. All of these problems started at the same time. About 2 years ago, I had the fuel pump replaced (from a shisty mechanic friend of my husband), and the floor of my trunk gets moist and I don't feel as though I am getting a full tank of gas even though the gas gauge reads FULL. For the past two month, I have been using fuel injector cleaner as well as had my muffler checked and my injectors checked.

I know this is a lot, but I am tired of having all of these problems at one time. Do you think it could be the fuel pump? or maybe I need a new gas cap? there is definitely something going on with the fuel system. HELP!!!???? :cry:
    I can't offer any suggestions to fix the hesitation, but the ABS and Traction lights are controlled by the ABS brake computer and the $100 readers at Auto-Zone and others will not see the codes. You need to go to a dealer or a better repair shop as the ABS readers cost many hundreds of dollars.

My ABS and many other lights were ON in my 2003 Grand AM and the ABS reader said both front wheel speed sensors were bad. I also had one wheel bearing that was noisy after just 50K miles. The Grand Am wheel speed sensors are very cheap and water gets sucked-in and corrodes the wires and the bearings. When I tore apart the old ones it was obvious that water had gotten in. I replaced both front wheel bearings and used silicone RTV to seal out further water problems.

You should get the ABS fixed as soon as possible because an intermittent ABS can so some very dangerous things.
    Wow, two dangerous problems at once. First you should have a competent mechanic find and fix the gas leak under the hood. It could be fuel rail, the pressure regulator, an injector, or a pipe / hose fitting. A leaky injector would also cause poor idle and performance.

I assume by a wet trunk you mean wet with water, the trunk seal on my 2003 Grand Am was not installed correctly from the factory, but it was easily corrected.

The fuel pump for most new vehicles are pretty standard so I think the pump should be OK, but it sounds like the mechanic didn't re-install the float correctly to make the gas gauge read correctly. It's a big annoyance but also some work to correct. I'm in favor of only paying a mechanic half until you see if he did the right thing - can you tell I don't go to a mechanic very often...

The ABS and Traction lights are controlled by the ABS brake computer and the $100 readers at Auto-Zone and others will not see the codes. You need to go to a dealer or a better repair shop as the ABS readers cost many hundreds of dollars.

My ABS and many other lights were ON in my 2003 Grand AM and the ABS reader said both front wheel speed sensors were bad. I also had one wheel bearing that was noisy after just 50K miles. The Grand Am wheel speed sensors are very cheap and water gets sucked-in and corrodes the wires and the bearings. When I tore apart the old ones it was obvious that water had gotten in. I replaced both front wheel bearings and used silicone RTV to seal out further water problems.

You should get the ABS fixed as soon as possible because an intermittent ABS can so some very dangerous things - but so will an engine fire...
  • dsudeltadsudelta Member Posts: 5
    FOLLOW UP: I finally took the car to a reputiable mechanic. They worked on my car for two days, only to find out that the 2003 Grand AM's have one of the most complicated engines ever made. The "misfire" that the computer was reading was the the result of the bolt holding the Tension & Timing Belt in place. The only way for the mechanic to find out if any damage was done by the "floating bolt", was to take my entire engine apart..$2,000. However, the bad news is that there could be more damage done and they would not know until the engine was fully taken out. Well as luck would have it, a 2003 Grand Am with 1,000 miles was totally wrecked this past Friday and the mechanic called to say that he could install the new engine in my car for $1500.00. I will now have a 1,000 mile engine in car that actually has 103,000 miles.

I would suggest to anyone, have your mechanic check with local salvage/junk yards, before committing to doing the work.

I will keep you posted on how this works out. ;)
    I think I would tread a little lightly here. I don't don't see how a problem with the tensioner bolt (what's a "floating bolt"?)could cause a misfire, nor do I believe a 1000 mile car of the exact same type just happened to get wrecked right when you have been convinced you should swap out the engine
    Also, the statement that the 2003 Grand Am has one of the most complicated engines ever built, either the 4 or the 6, is interesting. With either engine it's not even close.
    I agree with all of burdawg's comments. First I do hope this cures all your problems, but I cannot fail to add that an engine swap in a FWD car is not trivial and could easily cost $1500 in labor and misc belts and hoses to make it all top notch. If you really did get a low mileage engine then this is a great deal... but anytime something costs more than a few hundred dollars, I automatically get a second opinion. In this case I suspect the mechanic found the real problem for the misfire and just made-up a complicated story - one good for $1500... After all $1500 for a new engine seems like a bargain against a $2000 repair for the old engine. Sorry for the skepticism, but I do hope all your problems got fixed.
  • meatydojomeatydojo Member Posts: 1
    hi dsudelta. I had the very same problems you describe on my 2000 grand am gt. The smell of fuel was especially concerning to me. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. It was a cheap and easy fix to boot. IOf you have any questions on how to fix this feel free to email me ###sniper04@gmail.com&*%^^%. ttake out the funky characters.
  • big3carsbig3cars Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2002 GrandAm 2.2 that is driving me crazy and broke.

Early this year it the Service Engine Soon (SES) came on and I took it to my local service station. P0300 was the code for which they replaced the ignition control module, ignition coil pack, and plugs. total bill $667.

The SES light was off for three days then came back on with a P0130 code. Went back to the service station and they want to replace the exhaust manifold and converter for $1039. I said no and brought the car back to my garage and parked it for a couple of months and sent my son off to school without his car while I thought this over.

I heard an autozone commerical for OBD II testing and took the car there which threw a P0130 code that related to the first O2 sensor in the exhaust stream. For $150 for the O2 and special tool I replaced that and after 10 miles the SES light went off. Hurray... four days later the SES light is glowing again.

All the above brings me to today... I took the car to Autozone again and now its throwing P0130 and P0141.

The SES light it making me crazy and I'd like to know if someone can make sense out of this for me. The car itself runs well and has 86K miles on it so it's not a high mileage car.

Drop a line if you have an idea of what this could be... I have put alot of $ into this car since owning it and am trying to stick with American made cars but it's times like this that makes it difficult. Your help would be appreciated
  • gmccabegmccabe Member Posts: 1
    got a 95 grand am in a basket . the car is coming along beutifully,except the abs light always staring at us and the rear brakes locking up.does anyone have the procedure to bleed the complete ABS ?
  • tobijs87tobijs87 Member Posts: 2
    this is a really common problem with early grand ams (before 99) and with cavaliers, sunfires, etc. it isnt a matter of just bleeding the brakes, the reason your light is on and your back brakes lock up is because your abs motor pack has gone bad, these are not incredibly cheap, usually about 200 for the part and then the shop bill if you cant do it yourself, I had this same exact problem with my girlfriends 97 cavalier. Good Luck!
  • tobijs87tobijs87 Member Posts: 2
    To all of you with these lights on, this is because of your wheel speed sensor wiring, the only thing about that though is that you cant just replace the wires, the wires are sealed in the hub assembly, so you have to replace the entire hub assembly. This is a major issue with grand ams, if you keep your car for a while you WILL have this problem again. I have had a 2001 grand am for 4 years now it now has 165,000 on it and i have had to replace the hub assemblies twice and need to again! These hubs usually last about 60,000 to 90,000 miles, depending on whther you buy the cheapos and how you drive your car.
  • wilford1978wilford1978 Member Posts: 1
    My TRAC OFF light has come on and when it does I get hard shifts. It has come on a few times now and if I turn the car off and on again it goes away. Today though the service engine soon light came on with it. I have noticed a lot of you have had this problem. I am hoping someone can tell me what the problem is and the what they had done to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • pgpk2000pgpk2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am new to this site and I have a Grand Am 99. If any body can tell me why the Engine not runing in slow runing? It is very hard when it comes to traffic, I have to keep my both foots in breaks and the accselartor so that I can keep the engine in a high runing mode. I am out of U.S living in Qatar, and there aren't lots of cars like this in this part of the world so help me.
  • azamor2azamor2 Member Posts: 1
    Have you found a solution to your problem? I am having the exact same problem but my Engine light has not yet come on. Like yours, it is an intermittent issue and it shifts hard, most noticeably from 1st to 2nd gear. If you have found a solution, would you mind emailing? Thank you. Alex.
  • 03grandampos03grandampos Member Posts: 1
    im having this problem for the third time. Im brining my car into Lannan Chevrolet in woburn, MA today. I will post the diagnostic later today.
  • tbendertbender Member Posts: 1
    I have taken my 04 Grandam to the dealership because all these lights come on every now and then. There is no consistency in when the come on. I go for a long time and then one day the pop on and are a problem for a day or two. Then we are right back where we started. They say the problem is in the right wheel but they cannont distinguish if it in the HUB or the Harness. They say it is ok to drive until the light stays on consitently so they can tell which one it is. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • frustratedinwifrustratedinwi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am SE 2.4 with 152,000 miles
    I have loved this car, taken great care of it and had it since 63,000 miles with no major issues.
    Last week my "Service Engine" light came on. The next day my Fuel Pump went out. I had to have my car towed to the shop where they took off my fuel tank and replaced my fuel pump and filter.
    When I got back into the car the "Trac Off" light was on along with the Service Engine light. It was diagnosed that the vacum hose had a leak in the EGR system and that there we :cry: re misfires (probably from trying to start the car after the pump went out).
    Anyways he mechanic put these lights out and now today, 5 days later, all lights are back on. The Service Engine was first with no noticeable problems when driving then this morning I turned on my car and ABS, Service Vehicle, and Trac Off Lights were all on.
    Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Could it be from towing or a wire coming loose from the repair??!? please help
    I'm an electronics engineer with lots of automotive experience and the connections are usually pretty reliable, but it would be pretty easy for a mechanic to check for broken or pulled wires. (my car is a 2003 Grand AM GT) The wheel speed sensors for Grand Am's are poorly sealed from water. At less than 60K both of my front wheel sensors failed, and now at 64,000 miles, the rears are going bad and causing the same ABS and Trac Off lights to come on. Mine are failing with a bad internal connection, so the lights come and go. A $300 ABS code reader is needed to diagnose brake problems. It is important to get fixed as your ABS will not work while these sensors are bad.
    I'm an electronics engineer with lots of automotive experience and the harness connections are usually pretty reliable, but it would be pretty easy for a mechanic to check for broken or pulled wires. (my car is a 2003 Grand AM GT) The wheel speed sensors for Grand Am's are poorly sealed from water. At less than 60K both of my front wheel sensors failed, and now at 64,000 miles, the rears are going bad and causing the same ABS and Trac Off lights to come on. Mine are failing with a bad internal connection, so the lights come and go. A $300 ABS code reader is needed to diagnose brake problems. It is important to get fixed as your ABS will not work while these sensors are bad.
  • annoyingcarannoyingcar Member Posts: 1
    Less than a week ago my service engine soon light came on in my 2000 Grand Am SE. It was running fine, but I still brought it in and the diagnostics said that it was my evaporation emission system (something like that...). The mechanic said it was "out of wack" and it just needed to be reset. He did this and my light went off. Now today (less than a week later) my service engine soon, abs,and trac off lights came on. My car is still running fine. I am in a carpool and the lights came on right as we were about to leave from our meeting spot, so someone else drove. When turning my car on to come home, I noticed the lights were off. I am not sure if my last week occurrence is linked to this someway, or if they are just a coincidence. I just got 4 new tires 2 weeks ago and am not sure if that is linked somehow as well? Ever since I got new tires my car drives like it is windy outside (even though most of the time there is no wind at all). I am a very paranoid person, so this part may be nothing at all (or maybe even my imagination...not sure.). I am a 22 year old who doesn't know anything about cars. Is is even safe to drive?!? I drive an hour to my teaching job everyday and do not want to drive it if there is a chance it might brake down or anything.
    I am a 56 year old who's father would only let him drive if I did maintenance on the car, and in 1968 cars did need more work than today. I am an electronics engineer so I will give you my non-professional mechanic but "experienced father" advice.

The squirmy-ness may because of the tires having more tread, they could be under inflated, and the worst case would be that they were not installed or were not torqued correctly. Do take the car back to where you got the tires as soon as and as carefully as you can. Sometimes tire cords get damaged during installation and you may need to demand a new tire. Have them double check the installation and then you take them for a test ride before leaving to make sure your car drives as before.

I can also tell you from first hand experience that Grand AMs have poorly sealed wheel bearings. When water gets in, the wires for the ABS sensors fail and sometimes un-fail so the lights come and go. This is also a serious problem because your ABS will not work when the lights are ON. You need to go to a service garage with a "Brake System" scanner to determine which wheel or wheels are the problem. I just bought new front bearings for my 2003 GT for about $100 each and you may be able to get installation for $50 to $70.

And one last piece of advice that I have given to my three grown daughters - If you are a female, take a male friend with you. All of the professional mechanics that I know are sexist pigs - rude but true.
    I only recently saw your request and hopefully you have found a fix for your car not idleing. If not, here are some suggestions: Have a mechanic or maybe yourself, check for vacuum leaks. Too much air (not enough fuel) will cause a gas engine to stumble and stall out. It could be as simple as a pulled-off hose or as serious as a cracked intake manifold gasket.
    Ask a friend to keep the car at fast idle, and you may be able to hear the leak - it will "hiss" like a snake. Except for the fuel injection system, this engine is very similar to engines made for the last 40 years. I would suggest finding a mechanic familiar with gasoline powered cars (engines). An experience diesel mechanic may not know what vacuum is - diesels don't generate it.
  • nateyfz350nateyfz350 Member Posts: 2
    the wheel bearing are shot replace them but dont get them from napa or you will be changing them again in a week
  • ladynred09ladynred09 Member Posts: 2
    my service engine light comes on .. i just changed my oil . it a 99 grand am . at first it the light says low track .. now and then it will say off track .. i dont know what that means it automatic ..
  • chevynanachevynana Member Posts: 6
    2001 Grand Am SE, 3.4L. These 3 lights come up on my dash, no codes in computer, not pulsing/pulling when I brake and the first 2 do not come up if I ti=urn the trac control off when I start the car. Is my ABS connection loose at the hub? I just had them both changed last May and June of 09
  • chevynanachevynana Member Posts: 6