Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Brake Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    swordfishproswordfishpro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 explorer XLT. I have had the same problems. Driving slow push on brakes and they seize up and loud noise sounds like coming from ABS. Dealer to me the same thing, can't find anything wrong. One of these days God forbid! some one is going to be going very fast and the brakes sieze up like this... Ford will have a huge law suit, instead of just fixing the problem. Please let me know if you get any results.

Sincerely,
    G
  • Options
    sandpiper7sandpiper7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am having the same exact issue. I've taken it to the dealership and they can never hear the problem when I take it in every other week. I finally got it on video 2 different weeks. They replaced all the brakes or so they said...now I got pulled over because my rear brake was scorching red hot. I took back to the ford dealership for the brake issue and need new calipers which are on back order for 3 weeks. Just curious what happened with your 2011 explorer and what they did so I can share with my dealership who said they ran checks and recalls and can't figure out the squeaking noise which anyone can hear even with the radio on and the windows up!
  • Options
    lmattlagelmattlage Member Posts: 1
    I have a sports trac 2007 and I just had to replace the Master Cylinder but when the shop replaced the MC the brake pedal still went down to the floor and they said they talked or got in contact with a the dealership and the ended up placing the whole brake pedal system so now I have a whole new brake pedal. The problem started when I noticed the pedal going down and I had to pump the pedal to stop. When I stopped at a shop to get the fluid checked it was almost black and told me that someone had put the wrong fluid in the brake fluid well. I don't think that is what happened unless Jiffy Lube done it about 500 miles before when I had the oil changed because it did not show up on the bill and they always put a notice on it if they have to top a well off. Anyway after they checked it they said it had a bad Master Cylinder and still the problem was there but after they put the whole new brake pedal in the problem is now gone. I got the old brake system back and I plan to ship it to ford and find out if they know what the problem is or if I got took. Because I do know they had a problem bleeding the system and if it wasn't bleed correctly after the new MC was replaced it would still have the problem.
    It is unsafe to drive though because the brake pedal could fail and you would have no brakes all if you still have the problem. The complete job cost me 1400 dollars and I am very unhappy about that.
  • Options
    bamasmknmombamasmknmom Member Posts: 2
    I posted way back when here... I am still having my same brake issues. Not working, going to the floor, etc. We have learned, if they fail, pump them and they will work again. My mom started having these issues on her 2005 Cadillac, after taking it to get checked, was told it was a computer issue. Hmmm, makes me wonder! Something about occasionally the computer fails to tell the brake system to work which is why when you pump them, they work again! Still praying for a recall... One time, pumping them is NOT going to work! I dread that day!!!
  • Options
    gonzomomgonzomom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 explorer xlt that has been a dream until 10 days ago. No warning lights, no squeaking, no pulling and the vehicle stops just fine, just massive grinding. Why would a car not have some type of hic cup before a major system goes down - very disappointing - back to chevy I guess live and learn
  • Options
    konajuleskonajules Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 xlt did same thing. My friend, Mr. Fixit,diagnosed the problem as soon as we got in and I stepped on the brake pedal. I'd asked him to help me bleed the brakes, so he was looking. He said, "You don't need to bleed the brakes. Your brake booster's shot." Never heard of a brake booster before, so he explained it to me. It's the large drum-looking thing mounted on the chassis, driver's side, up on the "back wall" of the engine compartment, behind the brake fluid well. It contains a diaphram that tore, interfering with the hydrolics. The part had to be ordered so I couldn't get it that day. My friend had another booster from a similar year exploder (so he had to modify it a bit), but he wouldn't let me drive it as-was, knowing what would probably happen, and trusting him, I let him make the swap till the new part comes in. He ws 100% right, as usual. The brakes are doing fine now, although they make a breathing sound upon depressing the pedal till I push it all the way down (not down to the floor, but till the pedal's as fr down as it goes). The "breathing" doesn't affect the brakes' functionality, and is only a minor annoyance pending getting the new booster installed. The part costs about $50 (without the master cylinder), and it took my friend about 5 hours to change out, including fabrication time. BE SPECIFIC with your mechanics...it's the booster, not the rotors or pads, and probably not the master cylinder. Go for it!
  • Options
    coknjakcoknjak Member Posts: 1
    We were given a 2006 Ford Explorer as a Christmas Gift with 96,000 and in beautiful condition. Within a week we experienced the same problem everyone is talking about on this blog. We were coming to a slow stop for a red light. The brake went to the floor, the vehicle did not stop and we hit the PU in front of us. Very little damage to the PU but a lot to our Explorer. A young gal in the pickup was taken to the hospital because of a headache as more a precautionery move we believe. We were out of our location, had the vehicle towed to a brake shop, they checked the brakes and the front ones were very new and the rear had wear and we told them to put new brakes on the rear. We drove home and took the vehicle to our mechanic the next day and he kept it for 3 days, checked everything out, tired to duplicate the problem and was unable to have the brakes fail. Reading the above, people have had new boosters put on, a lot of new master cyclinders and always had the brakes checked. Nothing has seemed to work. Does someone out there know what the problem is?
  • Options
    tonyohiotonyohio Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ford explorer XLT 5.0 and one day heading home the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I was told that it should be the master cylinder,so I replaced it. It didn't work. Someone then said it should definitely be the brake booster. I just did it today. It did not work. I've bled after every new part. The pads are fine. The rotors and calibers are in good shape and work. I have no leaks but when the engine is started the peddle hits the floor. Any ideas? 
  • Options
    MesieraMesiera Member Posts: 1
    Very same problem on 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Last time it happened several times in stop and go traffic in December 2017. Had it in the garage several times prior to this
    Recurring incident.
    It is in the garage now. They can not find anything wrong.

Have driven ford trucks all my life. This is my last one.

Do not want another ford car.
  • Options
    PurpledemonPurpledemon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Ford Explorer change front brakes caliper blood all breaks and have no brakes at all what could be the issue I need help
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Did you replace the calipers? Are the bleeder screws at the top or the bottom of the calipers?
  • Options
    Tygarr1009Tygarr1009 Member Posts: 1
    02' sport trac anti lock brake pump malfunctioned causing the brakes to fail at the last 6' of stopping. I received a letter of recall once parts were available. Haven't heard a word since, 6 months ago.