Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    My text button (displaying the current song - artist or station letters) for the FM radio doesn't work. It works fine for my cd's but is not displaying when I have the FM. I know the radio stations are broadcasting text and if they didn't, my 05 use to say "no message".

Any idea's ?
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Got mine on ebay, but not real wood. Wasn't $400+ though either. Google for it.
  • zemogazemoga Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problems with with my radio on my 2008 Avalon Limited which I just purchased. I contacted Toyota about the RDS signal not working on my FM stations and they only responded that the local radio stations need to broadcast on RDS. I responded that my 2003 Suburban has RDS and I get the signal for all the radio stations I listen to. I have not heard back from them.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Looks like they did away with it for 08. I checked a couple of cars on the lot and none of them have that feature. Strange.
    Mack
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    Doesn't surprise me, but they should take it off the website. It still shows its a feature of the JBL radio.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    I'm trying find out about how to passenger seat height adjustment on the the Avalon. Our 2004 XLS has it. My wife has long legs and an iffy back, so I think we really need to get it on our new car, but have been having trouble finding it. Had more or less decided on a Camry, but then found out you can't get it. Decided I might have to bite the bullet and get another Avalon, but then found it doesn't look like you can get it on a 2007 Avalon.

The E-Brochure on the 2008 and the Consumer Reports pricing guide both refer to the availability of passenger seat height adjustment and imply that it is part of one of the option packages, but I haven't been able to pin down which one. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
  • kagnewkagnew Member Posts: 5
    I was just looking at one with the adjustment and one with out, it takes the Limited, and having the passanger seat
    full electric option, it also has a lumbar adjustment.
  • gthomp38gthomp38 Member Posts: 12
    Got my 08 Avalon on Aug 27th and love it. Only have one item of concern. The "Fuel Range" on the console display is no where near accurate. I have been averaging 29+ city and higway driving actual (not displayed although there is less than 1/4 mpg between the two). I usually wait until I am less than 1/4 full before I refuel and when I do the display reflected 434 in display the first time and the last time 385. At the time I refuelded it said 55 miles left when in essence it took 13 gals and should have been closer to 165 based on actual fuel consumption. I stopped by the Toyota dealership and talked with the service manager and explained the problem. He said that was quite normal and that you couldn't rely on them as they were not accurate. He indicated that there was no correction for the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what, if anything, can be done to make it more accurate. I don't mind a vehicle not having an item on it but if it does I expect it to work and certainly be more accurate than this seems to be. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This subject has appeared several times before just as you post it. Most of the '05 and newer Avalons do what you describe: understate the distance to true empty. One possible explanation advanced is that the distance remaining is really the distance to when the "low fuel" light comes on. Maybe. Whatever, you are not alone...

The big thing you want to check is the ODOmeter. Most Avalons run 3% low as to mileage covered. Mine does. Check it against some interstate mile markers. The speed is OK... just the mileage is off. You will notice the difference quickly at 75 mph, only takes about 5 miles to really become apparent. Hope this helps.
    "The speed is OK... just the mileage is off"

I didn't believe this until I checked it myself. No doubt it is off.

Any car with distance to empty is not accurate. For example at the office we had a Chrysler town and country minivan. I would put 16 gallons in it and the readout would say 250 miles. C'mon it would at least get 20 MPG so I would use the trip odometer and fill up at 320+ miles. At that point it rarely ever took more than 16 gallons meaning there was still 2+ gallons left. I remember riding for 80 - 100 miles with the distance to empty flashing "0". My Avalon is a little more accurate, but still have gone past 0 and never taken more than 16 gallons. They do this on purpose for idiots like me who like to stretch out the miles before filling up. What a shock I would have if zero really meant zero!

• floridastevefloridasteve Member Posts: 13
    Curious,
    Could you tell me how the car was optioned out and what you paid (less taxes)as compared to the invoice.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There is NO way for the fuel computer to predict just how you will drive that "last" distance to empty, lead-footing it or not, or maybe that last distance may be uphill, STEEP uphill, ALL the way. So it MUST assume a reasonably high, HIGHER, fuel consumption rate in order to not really TICK you off.
    Why must it assume anything. The info in the computer tells it how many gallons the tank holds, the average miles per gallon X the capacity should give you the anticipated fuel range. If you hot dog it the avg mpg goes down, so should the miles remaining go down. So far I have not gotten less than 29.17 combined city and higway driving. I'm quite consevative in my driving habits. The tank holds 18.5 gal X 29 should give you a estimated fuel range of 536.5 miles. Mine has never registered more than 434. That's off by a bunch. Go figure.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "I'm quite conservative in my driving habits.."

And if even 95% of the population drove conservatively like you, AND all roads were reasonably FLAT, AND there was no unexpected stop and go traffic (construction zones) then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So, if it relies strickly on the past, 300 mile, average MPG and remaining fuel to compute a 25 mile DTE and then you don't quite make it to that gas station 20 miles away because of an unexpected steep uphill "leg" (all the while the DTE is now declining faster than the mileage being driven/covered) you wouldn't be upset...

Most manufacturers are eliminating the DTE function for exactly this reason, for them it's a NO WIN situation.

Maybe one day with a GPS programmed destination, instant updating of road traffic, road conditions, and continous updating of average MPG....

In the meantime DTE's computed by onboard computers will only give conservative estimates, Lower DTE then possible, probable, in the real world.
  • coach06coach06 Member Posts: 16
    Can we talk about something else now??? I definitely think discussion is old news. :sick:

For all of you new owners of the 2008 Avalon, please enligtned us soon to be owners of other likeable/non likeable features. :)
    What's not to like. I ordered my Limited in the Blizzard Pearl with everything on it but the navigation system. I didn't order the nav system due to the problems I read about people having with them. Besides in the 56 years I've been driving I've never been so lost that someone couldn't tell me where to go (and believe me there have been enough of them and not necessarily because I was lost). I figured if I really needed a GPS I'd be better off getting a hand held Garmin or the like and be able to use it in all vehicles. I have nothing but high praise for the vehicle. It rides and handles beautifully and I like the interior layout. I spend a lot more time on the inside looking out than vice versa. I've owned a lot of different brands and models in my lifetime but I can't say I've had one that I liked more. My wife loves it too which is also a plus. I really don't think you can go wrong getting one. Being this early in the year I don't think you'll be getting any fantastic bargains though. If you don't buy it the next looker probably will. The one thing I was not able to get at this time was the protective side moldings. Seems Toyota has put a hold on shipments of these due a paint peeling problem. Am told it should be resolved in a couple weeks. Buy - ride - enjoy!!!
  • coach06coach06 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have an update on the body molding issue? As I remember Toyota was having problems with the molding peeling paint from the side of the Avalons.
  • tzuppetzuppe Member Posts: 13
    Just sold my 2007 Avalon Limited and got a new 2008. One item that Toyota changed was the yellow turnsignals built into the outside mirrors glass. My 2006 & 2007 were made of large bright circles in the shape of a V. They could be clearly seen in the bright sun. The 2008 has a V but it is made of a thin line and can hardly be seen if the sun is behind you. Sometimes they should leave a good design alone.
  • floridastevefloridasteve Member Posts: 13
    Curious,
    what sort of a deal did you get on your 2008 Limited and what options. Were you at/near invoice.
    I paid full MSRP ($36,289) and got $28,700 for my 2007 Limited with 37,000 mi. on it. I tried to sell the 07 in the paper, but got no takers. Tried to buy an 08 Honda Accord that had MSRP of $27,000 to $29,000 but 2 diff. honda dealers would only allow $21,000 for 07 Limited that stickered for $35,700. The only options dealer 08 Avalon limited had were 8 way passenger seat, stability control, mats and wheel locks.
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering if it is possible to get Bluetooth in the 08 Avalon Limited without purchasing the Navigation system? Is Bluetooth standard on the 08 Avalon or is it still an option? Is their any difference between the 2008 Navigation system vs. the 07 Navigation system? I was thinking about factory ordering an 08 with VSC as the only option but I still want to get Bluetooth so I was wondering if it is available without getting the Navigation system. Thanks again for your help guys.
    Bluetooth is now standard in the Limited.
    you can get it on the ltd or xls the option code is PE.
    mACK
    They changed to the six speed tranny for the 08 model. Reason? too many people complained about hesitation and lurching with the five speed tranny so now we are going to do it with a six speed tranny.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I just bought my new Avalon Desert Mica Sand and believe I got a great price for an XLS. I paid $200 over invoice and including the cargo mat and and floor mats I paid before tax etc., $28,689. I also had to pay an additional $750 for southern distribution bringing the price to $29,439. I'm trading in my 05 XLS and I got $21,000 for it, it was in excellent condition with 46 thousand plus miles. That's more then Kelly shows. I'm posting the price so some of you have an idea as to price. I will add the side moldings at a later date. The dealer is also taking odd my mud guards and putting them on the 08 for no charge. This also includes 3 free oil changes.

I believe I have an excellent deal, and the sales manager felt he owed me due to some favors I did for him over the last couple of years.
  • nemeneme Member Posts: 2
    I've learned a lot from reading messages over several months and will now return the favor. Be sure to check out the car buying services of Costco or Sam's Club before buying. I used the Costco service, which sends you to a specific local dealer and a specific sales person, and ordered an '08 Limited for 2% over invoice. That alone makes a pretty good return on the $50 annual membership.
  • jtb364jtb364 Member Posts: 2
    Concerning the body / side moldings available. Check on 11 Oct, still not avialable, still no ETA
  • waterrightwaterright Member Posts: 5
    I am seriously considering an 08 Avalon Limited. I am also looking at an 08 MDX and 08 M35, but am very impressed with the value of the Av. I heard that Toyota will likely offer substantial discounts in December with their Toyotathon. Anybody have any info on this?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    heard that Toyota will likely offer substantial discounts in December with their Toyotathon.
    if you are a betting man maybe, while there are a few differences between the 05-07 and the 08, I don't know if they are substantial enough to call it a 'new' model. As such, one would expect lower sales and possible participation in 'clearance' programs. OTH Toyota has not had any problem selling the Av since the 05 came out something that logically would mean minimal participation in 'Toyotathons'. Corollas and trucks/SUVS figure to need some 'help' in December and figure to be in such programs for sure, the Avalon may still sell too well - something that we existing Av owners just love to see - at the highest prices possible! ;)
  • pcomeauxpcomeaux Member Posts: 6
    I'm also considering buying an '08 Limited. I'm getting quotes around $34,000 to $35,000 with about $1,000 of options. But I'm seeing similarly equipped 2006 Limiteds, with 20,000 to 30,000 miles, offered for about $28,000. Assuming there's a bit of flexibility on the used car prices--enough to get a walk-out price of $28,000, that's about a 20% savings.

I wonder if anyone has thoughts or experiences about a 2-year-old Avalon versus a new one.
    would be interested to know if your 34-35k is drive out and inclusive of tax and title fees if any. The Ltd. you are talking about 'invoices' at about $31.5k (including freight), so that the quotes you are getting appear to be well above 'invoice'. Good news for Toyota and existing Av owners although $28k for a 2 year old Ltd. seems high.
  • henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    I just traded a 2006 Limited w/nav with 27500 miles. Got $24000 in trade and about 9% off MSRP. New car is 08 Limited w/ nav.

Plusses and Minusses on 2006 vs 2008 Limiteds

2006 - Couple dollars less when new. You can get light wood if you like it - not avail in 2008. 2006 transmission is a little weird at first, there are some situations where the car seems to be confused as to which gear to be in. It really didn't bother me or hinder my enjoyment of the car but it drove others up a wall. No mechanical issues at all with the car was 100% trouble free. No Bluetooth or iPod input.

2008 - 6 speed shift, low pressure tire monitors, Bluetooth, ipod input. darker wood (a plus for me). They seem to have the shifting issues under control. There are no minusses for the 2008 so far.

There are some people on the forum who are not happy w/ the Avalon, but I've been very pleased with mine. Rides better than a Cadillac Deville, more refined fit and finish. I love the nav, smartkey and laser cruise.

It's my opinion the Avalon is a far better value than the small Lexus - for starters it's got 4" longer wheelbase.

Anyway that's my 2c.

Henry
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If I read your post corectly... you paid about 11k, plus local taxes, to trade an '06 Limited w/27k miles up to an '08 Limited with the same options. Correct? If so, that's a heck of a deal in my book... good work! :)
  • lofgrenlofgren Member Posts: 14
    Is that 40 cents per mile depreciation?
  • zemogazemoga Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced any problems with their radio? The RDS in our radio still is not working and should be receiving text for those radio stations broadcasting in that mode.
    The RDS on the 08's only functions with CD's and not radio stations. I don't know if Toyota switched radios or what. I tried on both xls and ltd's and the txt function did not work on any station.
    Mackabee
    That is a great price Marv! Great job. Have you had the car up to 90-100mph? I took one of the first limiteds in stock to see how the new six speed tranny did and it blew me away! I hit the brake pedal quick since I was close to 100mph when the tranny hit the sixth gear. We have some new law here in Va that any speeding ticket above 75mph is automatically a 2k fine. :( Lucky for me it was a Sunday, traffic was very light and I did not mean to go that fast. The car is so quiet and smooth that if you don't watch the ODO you'll be speeding. Great car.
    :)
    Mackabee
    I let a friend of mine drive my '06 XLS and he wanted to pass on a two laner. I said you probably don't even have to floor it. Well, he did (I would have too :) )and 100 came up pretty quick. A month after that drive he replaced his wife's Grand Prix (3.8 Supercharged) with an '07 Camry XLE with the same motor (2GR).

Thanks Vic, it's the deal of my life. My General Sales Manager also surprised me when I picked the car up. It had side molding on (which I had shown an interest in on my 05) and I asked him how much. He said it's on the house. So I am one very happy camper. I haven't opened it up yet.I'm old fashioned and still breaking it in not going over 55 and gingerly touching the break. I'm now at about 238 miles and once I get to 500, I will stop being light on the break and take her to 65.

At 1,000 I will move out. But I can tell you she is quiet and so far no hesitation at all. I was also very surprised, because where ever I looked on the E-brochure and now the actual one in hand, it said the heated driver and passenger seat as printed in brochure is an option, yet my car has the heated seats. I looked through the window at their stock of XLS and they all have heated seats at no charge. So the brochure has to be wrong, it's not an option. Anyway we tried them one cold night and I love having them now. When we head North in the winter they will warm the butts and backside. I've added the molding to the bumpers to protect them as on my lasdt one and have added our initials over the door handle. I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS CAR, IT'S A KEEPER. THE SIX SPEED MOVES UP WITHOUT ANY HESITATION. It's GREAT SEEING YOU POSTING MY FRIEND AND HOPE YOUR OKAY.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    I've had 3 Lexus and 3 Avalon XLS last 6 cars
    I picked up my 08 XL (I don't like Leather and don't like Moonroofs) 2 weeks ago
    Had new My Michelins taken off my new car and put on my trade in, my Goodyear Assuranceomfort Treads put on the new car (Much quieter and rides much better)........... Truste me you can't believe the difference till you have tried it.
    Checked the oil and transmission flued...........nd broke it in my way. Drive it hard with no reves over 5500 rpm .
    Put additional sound dedeaden ern it, a K-N air cleaner on it,

What did I end up with : a beautiful Pearl White car with a massive interior and head room and seats most comfortable I've ever had, that rides better and is quieter than my wiwivesexus.

It Goes like a Rocket. Can only hear the R_N at full ththrotel sounds great.

Darn thing makes gas for ititself.............. Hit 31.3 at 69 mph both ways (not whole trip).

I think I like it.............
    burl
    another tire that quiets things down substantially and maintains the V speed rating - the Toyo Versado. Used 235/50/17 on the stock wheels - seems to be a solid tire and cost me $600.00 for the set installed.
    My new XLS with Ivory leather seats has a dark color for the fake wood trim. It's so much nicer then the color of my 05 which didn't bother me. They also spruced it up with a little chrome trim accenting one side of it. Very nice.
    Toyotathon is an annual promotion to drive traffic to dealerships. Lots of tv commercials and radio ads but nothing special. Just creates the perception you'll get a great deal and you may. Who knows what type of incentives will be around for December. They vary every year and since this year is down overall for car sales we might have some very invitiing incentives on all models.
    :)\
    Mackabee
    I'll have the answer for you sometime next week. Haven't been to work in the last three days. Bear with me.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    Despite my searching, I cannot determine if the transmission is the same or different than the V6 Camry and the LexusES350.

I do not want the problems that the other two models have.

Help please with a link or info.
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    Depending on which axle ratio Toyota chooses -- they use a 3.69 on the Camry V6 with a .61 6th gear OD, one might anticipate up to a 4% improvement in highway fuel economy. Doesn't sound like much, but it equates to about 1 - 2 mpg gain. That's worth it in these days of upward spiralling gas prices. Now, how about making it E85 compliant.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    I have a 2006 Avalon Ltd. - 12,500 miles and am very happy with it, but like to change cars every couple of years. I've been hoping that Toyota will redesign the Avalon in 2009, but just saw a note from AutoWeek Magazine (http://tinyurl.com/379dhk) that says "A redesign is scheduled for the 2011 model year, but Toyota may add an extra year to the vehicle cycle."

Bugger!

Looked at the Buick Lucerne V-8, but gave it up due to old technology. Considered the 2008 Cad CTS but don't really want a sports sedan. BT&DT. Looked at Honda V-6, but not upscale enough. Same for the Lincoln MKZ I tried. I'm thinking of a second hand 2005 Lexus LS 430 with around 30K miles. Downside is that I would be going from a two year old car to one that is even older, plus the disadvantage of RWD here in Oregon.

Any constructive suggestions? I know, I know, the best advice is to keep the Avalon and save the money. Still... I'm a car guy, you know?

Dandydon
  • whodatt_99whodatt_99 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2008 Avalon XLS Casis Pearl (dark maroon) ivory leather interior - LOVE it. Wife lost one of the keys. Key has a fat head on it that includes buttons for alarm, trunk, door locks. Called Toyota dealer and they said key plus fat head = $275 plus 1 hour of labor in the shop to program the key $100....for a whopping total of $375. Don't know how to do it but something tells me it can't take more than a couple of minutes to program a key.
    Is there anywhere to get another key for a much more reasonablbe price?????
  • lcsennlcsenn Member Posts: 9
    I would check eBay-
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    2000, 2003 now 2008.
    300 miles on XLS. So far so good. No tranny issues, love the 6 speed. its got awesome acceleration at throughway speed. Interior is huge, trunk is huge, quiet comfortable ride. A big leap over the 2003.
    Some annoying things persist. Toyota still thinks their customers are incapable of programming the miscellaneous features. Still have to fill the tank to reset MPG. That is the dumbest feature on this car. Fortunately the car is so good I have to overlook the feature shortcomings. But it sure would make this car perfect.