Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..the whole assembly is defective.."

I doubt that, sincerely doubt it. In any case the dealer had the option of simply replacing the highdeam/drl bulbs, the TSB is not covered under a warranty extension and is clearly NOT mandatory.

Ask the dealer what damage is done by the highbeam/DRL bulb "blowing out".

Since acting on the TCB is not mandatory and only applies under specific complaints, "don't ask, don't tell" (unless the owner complains don't ask, don't volunteer any TSB information)
  • floridastevefloridasteve Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone had a problem with the lock mechanism for the telescopic steering wheel. On several occasions have noticed that when I grab the wheel the wheel moves forward(from the locked fully extended position) and the lever is not in the locked position. Am very careful not to hit it with my knee or any other object.
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Member Posts: 17
    Yes - The bloody thing is often loose! My only other complaint about this car is that it is the worst car in the snow in automotive history!
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Member Posts: 17
    I find my 08 Avalon to be ABSOLUTELY less capable in the snow than my old 96 Mercedes. The 2008 Avalon inexplicably does not permit the driver to disengage the traction control. The 08 Avalon is horrible in the snow!
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I couldn't agree more. For me it's the amount of comfort I have or in this case don't have, driving my Avalon in the snow.

Without thinking real hard about it, I would say it's the worst car in the snow I've owned - out of 41 cars! That's not saying much.

Now many of the cars I've had over 30 + years did have studded snow tires, so those might not count.

Skip
    Way to many times have I hit that damn thing when getting into the car. One of just a few things I don't like about this car.

Skip
    edited October 2010
    Your '96 Mercedes was undoubtedly RWD, your Avalon is a patently UNSAFE FWD when driven on ANY slippery surface.

Automotive manufacturers seem to be becoming more and more aware of that fact as the years go by. Or perhaps the automative insurance companies are sharing some statistical information RWD vs FWD.

So NO, while you can safely turn off TC in a RWD or R/awd vehicle and still maintain directional control even with the rear wheels spinning madly, virtually NO traction, that situation in a FWD or F/awd vehicle is totally another matter.

Having said that I see no harm in allowing the TC function to be turned off when stopped or traveling slowly. Provided it is automatically re-enabled after a short time period or having reached a decent road speed.
  • tamone1tamone1 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my steering wheel column collapsing. Usually notice it when breaking hard.the worst time for a steering wheel problem. Estimate it has happened about 5x since buying car in May 2008. I told dealer in August 2010 and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course not. I now check the locking mechanism every time I drive the car.
  • pjc29pjc29 Member Posts: 1
    In my 2008 Toyota Avalon, I lost my High Beams and my left low beam headlights. Upon checking bulbs, both High Beam 9011H1R1 bulbs blew out (shattered). I found the TSB notice on line (TSB-0044-10) and went to Toyota seeking Toyota to fix the defect. They told me the cost was $2,400 to replace both headlight assemblies. They did offer to split the cost 50/50 with me but I declined stating that it was a defect and was occurring in 2008, 2009 and 2010 Toyota Avalon. In other words, it was a design defect and they should fix it for free.

Toyota declined stating it was NOT a recall but a TSB. Not a happy camper at the moment.

There is also a NHTSA number on this defect #10033406
  • advocate5advocate5 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    Recommend that you just keep hammering on the dealer to get Toyota to cover the full cost. I had the EXACT same thing happen. Toyota's original offer to me was 2/3 - 1/3. I did do the repair and paid the 1/3. But I went back to them explaining the many actions available to me, none of which would be good for Toyota's already tarnished image. They ultimately reimbursed me for 100% of the cost. Be persistent. Good luck.
  • jmmckjmmck Member Posts: 9
    Hello. Just joined. I studied and reviewed lots of info here prior to buying a 2008 Ltd TSS model with very low miles on it. I got lots of good info from the discussions.
    I'll try to contribute as I can. Daughter has a '97 Avalon with 250K miles that is like new. Great car. I got tired of the Tahoe so will drive the Avalon most of the time...wife has a new MINI. OK, enough rambling.
  • pete_xengineerpete_xengineer Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I own a 2008 Avalon Limited with the HID lights. The left light failed just outside of the warranty and the standard dealer cost to replace the light is $400. I went to a local auto parts store and purchased a replacement bulb or $125 + tax. The bulb is not difficult to replace. It involves removing 6 plastic pop rivets from the radiator cover, removing the battery, removing 2 bolts from the fuse box and just pushing it slightly out of the way to get to the HID light assembly and replacing the bulb. The original light that failed was a Phillips, so I made sure I got a different brand (Osram). One gotcha is unless you keep voltage on the car while you are doing the replacement, (I didn't), you will need to follow the owners manual to reset your front power windows, moon roof, and VSC. Also you will lose your GPS marked points and settings.

Now my right HID headlight is begining to intermittently fail.

I have also had a front wheel bearing and my turn signals fail on this car. I have let my Toyota dealer know I'm not too happy with Toyota's quality.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    buying a 2008 Ltd TSS model

Enjoy your Avalon, I loved both my 06 and my 03. Just a quick question though, what is TSS?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I'm going to guess Touring Sedan (but not sure what the second S is for)?

Skip
    That is what I was thinking, however, the limited never came with any Touring Sedan package as far as I know. In 08 the lineup was XL, Touring, XLS, and Limited.

• urspider76urspider76 Member Posts: 12
    My right HID light bulb went out on my 2008 LTD about a year ago. Purchased a Phillips replacment bulb on the net for around $ 50. Exact match for the oem.
    Left HID bulb has cut off a few times and will likely need to be replaced soon.

Other than a small problem with the driver's power window which was repaired under warranty - no problems in the first 130,000 miles with this car. GREAT AUTOMOBILE!
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    I appreciate what I interpret is your dry irony---"the bulb is not difficult to remove..."
    removing 6 plastic pop rivets
    removing the battery
    removing 2 bolts from the fuse box
    pushing it slightly out of the way to get to the HID light assembly
    replace bulb
    reset your front power windows, moon roof, and VSC.
    reprogram your GPS marked points and settings.

for a bulb replacement. Easy! ROFL

For me, that was on top of 4 recalls, a slipping transmission that dealer says is "fine," a tire pressure monitoring system that has failed three times, and lousy wet road traction. Guess who won't be looking to Toyota for next car.
    "..and lousy wet road traction..."

SOP for FWD vehicles.

When ANY level of wheelspin/slip is detected, even the very slightest level, TC will INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine while simultaneously braking the driven, front, wheels.

Loss of traction on your front wheels is such a dire matter, potentially HAZARDOUS matter, that wheelspin/slip must be ABATED as quickly as possible. Many newer FWD and F/awd vehicles are now automatically detuning the engine at low speed or in the lower gear ranges as a pre-emptive measure to help alleviate loss of traction.

Loss of traction on a wet roadbed will be just as quick, all other aspects being equal, on a RWD or R/awd, but since directional control can still be maintained, asserted, TC on these vehicles may not have such a quick "trigger". Actually many modern RWD vehicles will actually delay the onset of TC activation for a few hundred milliseconds in order to give the driver time to react and feather the throttle.
    My mileage has gone down a bit over the last 6 months or so. I'm guessing the tires are part of it (because I notice the drop after putting them on), put 18-22 MPG with 65-70% highway and the balance city, that seems a bit low.

Hell, all highway 21-24 is the best I've gotten the last 4 trips or so.

I may be taking another trip south in a few weeks. The trip is 1350 miles each way, so I get to drive ALL highway for 3 or more tanks each way. I live next to 95, and so does the person I'll be visiting, so when I say ALL highway, I mean it:)

Is there anything that has come up over the years to justify this drop?

I have 45,000+ miles on the car, and drive very easy (as my kids will tell you).

Skip
  • urspider76urspider76 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 LTD and drive 77 miles each way to work every day - all interstate driving.
    Average 28 - 29 mpg at 70 mph.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    It appears that you are talking about a 15-18% drop in gas mileage, which would be close to catastrophic in my mind. What tires did you install?

If they are same as OEM in size, rating, etc., I would be looking hard to find some sort of fuel system or electronic malfunction.
    I'm driving 52 miles round trip daily - 80% highways, and I never get less than 27mpg per tank. My 2008 Limited has about 48000 on it. I replaced the OEM tires with a slightly more aggressive set (+1) at 20K and there was no change in mpg. Keeping it under 80 on a recent 1,000 mile trip I averaged just over 30mpg, so it definitely sounds like something's not running right with yours.
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Member Posts: 36
    It seems the quality of gasoline has gone down significantly in the past few months. I too noticed a drop off in fuel mileage in both my cars. Where I get my gas and the quality of that gas has had a significant impact on fuel mileage I've been seeing.

It's not your car, it's your federal government requiring additives like alcohol that reduces mileage. The Obama administration just approve a request from alcohol producers that gasoline be allowed to blend up to 15% alcohol in gasoline and also that no labels be required on the gas so you don't know what you're buying.

Call you representative and request that labels be required on all blends above 7.5% on you'll be paying for it in reduced gas mileage and shorter engine life.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I live in PA, but spent the last two winters in south Texas. Gas mileage in Texas, mostly rural two lane averages about 27-28MPG. In Pa, the average is over 30, again mostly rural, and interstate driving in the northeast will net 33mpg at 75mph avg. I avoid the gasohol when possible because mileage will dip by at least 10%. This is with a 2008 Touring, 23k and Michelins.
    Just to get the story straight on "Obama" regulations.

The EPA has approved a partial use of E15 (15% ethanol) for 2007 and later vehicles only. Labels will be required on all pumps warning against using this fuel in older vehicles. This has the potential to be a big mess if folks don't pay attention to what they are buying.

The majority of states currently require labels for up to 10% E10, but some states do not (13 states, I believe). This information can be accessed on Google or other sites.
    edited November 2010
    popsavalon,
    You're correct about 2007 cars but a ruling is expected soon on 2001-2006 for E15 which is expected to be approved. E15 will require a separate pump at gas stations so as not to be confusing. Higher blends of E25 are currently being lobbied by agribusiness..... just bad news anyway you look at it.

My concern is that the federal and state governments are giving significant tax breaks to ethanol blends and it's so prevalent that straight gas is getting hard to find in most states. Also, many times I've looked for ethanol labels and didn't see them because they are poorly placed.

Historically (since 1970's) ethanol blends up to 7.5% have been used to raise octane ratings. Higher blends poise huge problems because they have a short shelf life and absorb water. When over 7.5% you see separation in fuel tanks and problems starting in cold weather. Small engine and marine engines melt down due to a combination of problems with ethanol blends and it's likely large engines will start showing the same problems. It's so likely that major gas station chains are concerned over liability issues.

I think we are beginning to see those issues appear as more and more people get concerned with major fuel mileage loss being the first of those concerns.

Again,
    Contact your representative and demand complete labeling on fuel and that subsidy for ethanol be withdrawn.
    Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires.

I did notice a drop after putting them on, but it has gotten worst over the past 6 months or so.

I does seem to have a hick-up occasionally. I have an appointment for new week and I hope they find something.

It will be a shame to spend $100.'s to not find anything (I could use that money for gas:))
  • tbone56tbone56 Member Posts: 1
    wwest. Would you mind adding a few more details on your fix for the high beam issue?

I think you were indicating that the voltage supply to the high beam tends to be low. I just don't understand how to increase it.
    I'm guessing there is some sort of resistance in series with the high beam light, but I don't know where that resistance might be. Would you tell me where it is so that I can make some alternative.

Also, you mentioned adding some LED's. Where and how (series/parallel) did you do that?

Thanks for your earlier post.
    When the high beam bulbs are being used as DRLs they are operated in series and with a resistance in the series string. Halogen bulbs operated at substandard voltages, DRL voltages, have a documented high failure rate.

I simply installed a 12 volt relay in series with the existing DRL circuit and then used the relay contacts to power a pair of 3W LEDs for DRL.
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know if the 2010 Avalon has a timing belt or a timing chain? I'm just curious as I own a 2010. Any information will be appreciated.
    All Avalon engines after 2005 have "life of vehicle" timing chains. Changing engine oil properly will help to insure maximum life.

Avalon V-6 is "interference" engine. Timing chain failure would result in severe engine damage, so life expectancy must be pretty good.
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    Thank you for your reply and answering my question! As you're also an Avalon owner, how often do you change your car's engine oil? I have just over 10,000 miles on my car and I'm following Toyota's maintenance schedule of changing the oil every 5,000 miles. I get the car serviced at my local Toyota dealership and bring my own oil, synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30. Always used this oil in all of my cars (Toyotas, of course)! However, prior to owning my Avalon, I always changed the oil every 3,000 miles. This is the first Toyota I own with the maintenance required light that comes on every 4,500-5,000 miles to remind the owner that an oil change is needed. Ideally, I would like to change the oil every 3,000, but the manufacturer suggests every 5,000. Thank you again for your prompt reply and happy holidays!
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2010
    ntassistant,

With the current oil and engine technology there is absolutely no reason to change your oil every 3K. The new 4.0L 6 cylinder on the Toyota FJC uses 0w20 synthetic and calls for a 10k oil change. I've seen oil analysis done at that mileage (we own one) with the oil spec'ing out quite robustly.I've seen rumors that Toyota was to go with the 0w20 on the 2011 Avy but it did not happen.

5K is more than fine for our Avys, expecially with the use of that 5w30 synthetic. I, too, use the M1 5w30 in our Avy and have seen tests done on it, too. The oil is actually still strong even at 5k. IMHO, don't waste your money on the 3K oil change when 5K is more than adequate and truly protects your engine beautifully.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    On oil changes: Local Toyota dealer does all mine and says 5k is fine for the Avalon driven normally. You could probably go even longer, as these posts suggest, and do no real harm. Some newer makes, such as Nissan, can go 7.5k and the oil is fine when changed. Not like ages ago...2k max.... wow, did we ever do that?..... yep..
    I change the oil/filter in my vehicle about every 4000 miles. We don't do a lot of miles so that works out to about every (3) months. I use 5W30 Quaker State, and I am a firm believer that frequent oil changes are the cheapest preventative maint. you can do for your vehicle.

Based on everything I have read about synthetics, you probably could go to 10000 miles, but my personal preference would probably be 8000 miles max. I have just never made the change from conventional oil.

As a side note, my father-in-law was a garage owner, and he started me on Quaker State in the first new vehicle I ever owned. I have never had a oil related engine problem in 50+ years.
  • jmmckjmmck Member Posts: 9
    TSS apparently stands for Toyota Sport Series but cannot find out a lot about it. Has ground effects, spoiler, 18" wheels and hi performance tires. It is a package Gulf States adds. Kinda overkill for a big sedan I know, but it looks good in black and was a really good deal.
  • pj_flygarepj_flygare Member Posts: 3
    Bought my Avalon Touring 2008 in early december of 2010.
    Certified and with full maintanance book. Done by Toyota service stations.
    The sticker in my window when I bought the car read " that current milage plus 5000" for the next oil change.
    Reading through the service book this car seems to be a problem free maintanance car. Majority is on the oil and air filter changes, plus the sparks when that occur... : )

Figured out the flickering of head lights and panel lights.
    There's a resistor sensor behind the dash where you can illuminate the dash light, this resistor is also linked to the head lights.
    When the resistor gets to warm it will start flicker as it tries to get colder.
    This is something I will take up with technicians next week. Because they don't know why lights are "flickering" ..... at least they have something to start working with.
    Maybe we all can make this as a "non-cost-recall"

Per
    After driving my 2008 Avalon Touring in the snow, I'm convinced it is the worst foul weather car I've ever driven. 35 degrees with heavy snow squalls and roads snow covered-my Avalon is a sled. It spins. It slides. This car is flat out dangerous on slippery roads. I couldn't make my driveway-100 yard slight uphill grade with 4" of wet snow. My cousin's Jetta TDI walked right in. I passed on a Hyundai Genisis because I wanted FWD for the snow, Yeah right! Just had to vent. What are they thinking with a design like this?
    We've owned our '08 Touring for several winters and never had any of those problems with snow driving. In fact, my wife attends her yoga class where the steep driveway stranded several ladies at the bottom of it after the last ice storm and she went right up it.

Most of the time, snow behavior is about the tires, not the car. Check the tire wear and the tire inflation. Some cars like the Avalon with brake force assist can provide too much braking. Also check the condition of the brakes because they are how the traction control manages slippery conditions.

Hope you figure out your problem because we have the same car and have zero issues in snow.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I agree with kbetts1...no problems here with the Avy in the snow; however, we have excellent winter tires. Some 'all-seasons' are just absolutely are not decent in snow at all...I'd check those tires and find some with traction.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    We seldom see any snow here in GA but this year has been quite an exception as you may have seen on the news. Check your tire inflation and tread depth and post the results.... also what brand of tires do you have? My snow experience with the '07 Avy is limited, nothing like many who post here, but driving seems no worse than our other family cars, Nissan and Honda, all FWD. The real problem here in GA is ice as snow melts and then re-freezes... nothing works, could that have happened? As a car Avys do fine in the slush, as well as any other FWD car, from my experience.....
    The problem isn't the tires. It is the TRAC system! If the system detects wheel spin in a front tire, it removes power from the spinning wheel. If both wheels are spinning, the Avalon will stop moving-period! Sometimes wheel spin is the only way to keep moving on a really slick service. I pulled a sensor and disabled the TRAC and VSC systems and the Michelin all-seasons pulled fine. I've used this driveway for about 15 years. First with a 1995 Lincoln Continental FWD with traction control and a 2002 Caddy STS FWD with traction control. Finally bought the 08 Touring in June of 09, and took the car to south Texas for the winter. All three cars have/had Michelin all-season tires. The American TRAC systems would buzz and move power from wheel to wheel, but you could keep moving. The Avalon system is way too sensitive. I need to find a way to install a kill switch.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    stoneybroke, I have a 2005 Avy LTD, which was the 1st year of the current generation. I agree with you on your last post. I too wish there was a TRAC system off switch. Sometimes you need to keep those wheels spinning to maintain momentum going up a slick hill or starting on a slick incline to get into traffic.
    Hi,
    This is a pain, but you can turn off your traction control on the Avalon. I use it in situations when the power to both wheels is killed.

Transition to the service mode (TRAC and VSC OFF mode).

The TRAC and VSC systems can be turned off by following the procedures below:

When using the parking brake and brake pedal:
    1) Check that the IG is off and the shift lever position is at P.
    2) Start the engine after turning the IG to the ON position.
    3) Operate the following steps 4 to 8 within 30 seconds after engine start.
    4) Turn the parking brake switch on.
    5) Depress and release the brake pedal twice.
    6) Turn the parking brake switch on and off twice while depressing the brake pedal.
    7) Depress and release the brake pedal twice while the parking brake switch is on.
    Steps 6 and 7 should be performed within 15 seconds each.
    8) Check that the VSC warning light and slip indicator are turned on. If they are not turned on, start over from step 1.
    9) The brake control system will return to the normal mode by turning the IG to the ON position from off.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Thanks advocate5. Wow, that is involved. Too bad there is not a simple ON/OFF switch. This is one of the few flaws in an otherwise outstanding car,
    I passed on a Hyundai Genisis because I wanted FWD for the snow,

My 06 Avalon was great in the snow. I had the Bridgestone EL400 tires from the factory (they wore fast, but were decent performers). If you are having trouble with the Avalon in the snow be thrilled you didn't buy the Genesis. The stock Dunlop tires on my 09 Genesis render the car useless in the bad weather. Actually, my Genny is still in the driveway covered in snow. Thank goodness my GFs Elantra is great in bad weather.

The procedure that advocate5 has given us works. However, it does have some obvious drawbacks. There has got to be a way to wire in a kill switch for the Trac system. Tic78's Genesis is sitting in the driveway, so is my useless Avalon. My wife absolutely refuses to drive the Avalon in the snow, or even hint of snow. We are driving a 06 Highlander AWD and my old 02 Sierra 4wd pickup.
    The 2008 Avalon Limited comes with a TRAC switch so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
    when I'm turning and under acceleration. I went to the dealer and he said it was normal, and that what I was hearing was the traction control??? Sounds like the freaken front end is about to come off!

This happened when I purchased the car, at about 3600 miles and they replaced a CV shaft or something like that.

I was tempted to take a 2011 out when he said that, just to see, but I felt I'd get nowhere if it didn't do it i.e., older car, they've made changes since 2008 blah, blah, blah

So has anyone else had this happen and what was the out come?

Skip
    Ditto for my 2008 Avy. Seems to only occur before the vehicle warms up and it has to be REALLY cold before I hear it. Toyota said "normal" to me too. It isn't, but not worth a fight. No other tranny or drive problems.