Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Electrical Problems

papyruspapyrus Member Posts: 1
I have a 2004 Sienna LE and it has left/right signal problem (not working) in the morning or when the weather is cold. The problem usually last for about 5 to 10 minutes until the inside car temperature becomes warm.

When this problem happens the emergency lights are working. Only the signal left and right do not work.

Is this a common Sienna problems? I brought the car to the dealer but they refused to fix it because they cannot duplicate the problem. I am guessing when the warranty has expired, they will make suggestion to replace the part but not until then.

Can someone help me with the root cause to this problem? I am hoping that I can reasoning with the dealer to fix the problem by using an automotive explanation to the cause.

I appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks.

Comments

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    they refused to fix it because they cannot duplicate the problem

It would be very annoying to have to do this, but maybe you need to drop your car off overnight so they can start it cold?
  • edmowedmow Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2006 toyota sienna in 8/06. I had a ravelco anti-theft device installed in sept. 06. all was well until the battery died in early dec. gave it a boost thinking maybe we left lights on. Battery died again in mid dec. gave it another boost & called dealership about problem. brought it in. they found no problem. told me if battery dies again, do not boost have it towed. In 1/07 battery dies again. have car towed. they found battery had dead cell and gave us new battery. battery dies again in 2/07. had car towed again. they kept car for 2 days and found nothing. they suggested i leave car for a week to see if battery dies while in their possession. nothing. battery died yesterday. called service. told me it has to be the anti-theft device that I installed that's causing the drain. offered nothing else. Spoke to ravelco. they assured me that anti-theft device does not run on battery and is not hooked up to battery. Does anyone have same problem that I'm having? Any suggestions?
  • timon75timon75 Member Posts: 1
    One of two power plugs on dashboard stopped functioning when i plugged in laptop. Checked fuse box in engine compartment and did not see damaged fuse. Any suggestions on where fuse for the right front power plug and the left rear power plug in 2004 Sienna CE is located? thanks.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Just to make sure we're talking about the same fuse, you're referring to the two outlets that are next to each other on the lower part of the center stack - the one on the right. As an FYI, that fuse also operates the rear outlet, so if we're talking about the same fuse, it should be affecting both the front, right and the rear.

It took me a long time, but I was able to find that fuse when I blew it out about a year ago when I tried to inflate air in my tires. I forget whether I used the manual or just the fuse guide on the fuse compartment, but the main point I want to make is that the fuse to which you are referring can only be purchased from Toyota. I wanted to just do it myself, but I compared the blown fuse with the extras Toyota gave me, and the fuses I had for my Acura TL. No matches. Then I went to Pep Boys and another store like that and couldn't find a match.

I forget how much it was (I think $4-6, but don't quote me), but I had to bring it in to Toyota to have them replace it.
  • yashedyashed Member Posts: 2
    I brought new Toyota Sienna (2006) in August 2006. It looks like mine also has similar problem. Today all of sudden battery died. Vehicle does not does start, no lights nothing. I am 100% sure that no lights or anything else was left ON and battery was in good condition. Now battery voltage down to 5.6Volts!

How did your problem resolved?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Toyota should have replaced the battery long ago, though the battery warranty is covered by the battery manufacturer, technically.

Still, a new one costs less than one tank of gas nowadays. I'd just replace it. Why risk stalling after it's happened 5 times already? :confuse:
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    I have a 2001 Sienna. Whenever I take a significant left turn, the locked doors unlock. Sometimes it is in the middle of the turn, but usually it is about 1-2 seconds after the turn is completed, all the electric locks will pop open.

It does not do this when I turn right, when I go over speed bumps or at any other time. It does not do it if I take the turn very slow.

The Mechanics at the dealer can't figure out would cause this behavior and are at a loss to figure out where to start looking. It must be a shorted or lose sensor somewhere, but where? And why would it only do this when turning left?

I'm not anxious to have the dealer take my van's electrical system apart and test it component by component. Any geniuses out there that could help narrow down where the problem might be????
    3 right turns is the same as one left. ;)

Just kidding. It's gotta be one of the power lock buttons. See if you can hold the lock button down on either side while you turn left, to see if that's the side that short circuits.

Try both sides, if holding the button makes a difference, that's gotta be the bad switch.
  • yashedyashed Member Posts: 2
    Problem was dead cell / open circuit in the battery(less than a year old). I just got battery replaced (it was under warranty). There was no other problem.
    Glad to hear it. :shades:
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    With engine running & in park, turn the steering wheel hard left and slowly back to straight.
    If that doesn't duplicate the problem, do the same thing only put it in drive, foot on the brake and turn steering wheel hard left.

If the problem pops up either way, it's a connector in the steering column or the ignition relay that thinks your engine is off.
  • pandasmompandasmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Sienna that I purchased used almost 2 years ago. It is in great shape with 112,000 miles. A couple of days ago I put the key in and the engine wouldn't start. I turned the key a few more times and it finally started. I know it's not the battery because all my stuff comes on(radio, a/c, ect.). It has been doing this for 3 days now. It does it almost evertime, but sometimes it starts right away with no problems. Could this be the starter? I am in no way a car person but my husband is out of town and I do not want to go to the repair shop without some knowledge. Any help would be appreciated.
    Starter does seem most likely.
  • newtovansnewtovans Member Posts: 3
    It could be your battery also. A weak battery still has enough energy to power low current items like radio, lights, etc. but not enough to provide the high current required by the starter. A simple test is to turn your headlights on and then crank the starter. When your car turns over, your headlights should dim, but not go out. If they go out while you are cranking, your battery is too weak. In general, if your battery is over 3 to 4 years old, I would replace it as they lose a lot of capacity at that age.
  • mom2boys07mom2boys07 Member Posts: 4
    My 2005 Toyota Sienna has a problem with what seems is the van "jumping out of gear". This issue happens when you are turning right in a curve and hit the brakes. When you do this there is a "beeping noise" and the van seems to stall and shift into neutral. We are usually going btw. 45-48 mph. This only lasts a couple of seconds and then everything is OK. The dealership can not get this issue to reproduce so it seems like I am "crazy". I found similar post but not exactly. has anyone else had a similar experience.
  • martin152martin152 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE that is having this same problem.(88,500 miles) When I make a Left hand turn, the front map light flickers on. And when the light goes off, the power door locks unlock. This only happens on left hand turns, and only when taking the corner at a fairly good speed. Have there been any confirmed fixes to this problem? I have tried all of your earlier mentioned trouble shooting methods.
    I cannot give you much help after having our Sienna at the dealership for the 4th time they did a computer upgrade at our request but they could not make the van "recreate" the problem while they drove it several times during a week stay. We thought everything was OK until we started on a business trip and it had the same problem again. It (the problem) has only happened on one road that is approximately 5 minutes from our house so everytime we have taken our van into the Toyota dealership they cannot reproduce the issue so they really do not know what to do. They have told us that is noted in the records so if anything major does occur then it should be within warranty. Sorry I could not be any help - good luck to you and if someone figures out your problem, please send me an email.
  • aagaag Member Posts: 2
    I have same problem with my 2000 sienna. I took it to dealer and they replaced contacts but the problem did not get fixed and the dealer service centre could not find any solution to it. How did you get your van fixed?
    I have not been able to get problem solved. I have only tried one dealer service department and they cannot get the issue to "reproduce" when they have it in the shop. They have tried to tell us that it is an issue with the traction control but they cannot get anything fixed unless the issue can be reproduced. We have taken the van in for service 4 times with no resolution. They have added notes to the file for future reference for warranty issues but nothing has been solved. I am sorry that I cannot help if I get a response to my issue I will post the details. Thank you and good luck.
  • paceyfpaceyf Member Posts: 1
    My g/f ( currently o/s in US, I cant get to the car) has reported a sudden problem with her 2004 Sienna. 3 different electrical accessories have gone on fretz simultaneously, I immediately in general principal suspected a fuse/ common relay, but am unsure, as the things are

radio/DVD player
    Seat Warmer
    Driver's door lock

Which troubles me as likelihood of being on one common fuse as radios etc tend to operate on very low amps fuse traditionally in most cars, compared to especially things like a seat warmer which Ive never had ,but figure any heating element drags a lot of current .
    Any seconders for my idea or better still, better ideas?
    If so, I'll try to talk her through a fuse check, with the aid of her handbook.
    thanks
    Patrick
    Australia
  • retiredcatretiredcat Member Posts: 2
    2007 Sienna LE, radio looses display while playing in both CD/Radio mode. It has been checked out by dealer but they could not duplicate the problem. Radio keeps playing just can't read anything on display for a period of time then it comes back on it's own. Shutting off does not fix the display problem. :confuse:
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    I hope this helps. There have been some problems with the stability control sensors going off inappropriately. If the van interprets a curve to be a roll or skid it sets off a number of things. When working properly it brakes in a order that is meant to set you back on track and the engine powers down. My stability control triggered (correctly) once at 4: am one January morning when I hit a patch of black ice. Some indicator lights lit up on the dash and the engine powered down and the brakes did their thing and the van straightened itself out (pretty cool). I so excited that I cannot recall if there was beeping as well, but it would not surprise me. It sounds as if your stability control is occasionally interpreting a turn to be a skid. Replacing the sensors might be the answer. These sensors cost money and a dealership will not repair your van unless it is cleared with Toyota America, so don't expect them to just rollover and fix your van. You will probably have to push for this repair. Good Luck!
  • hello6hello6 Member Posts: 1
    hello i have a poblem with me 2000 toyota sienna!! the problem is the window on the passenger side goes down but it won't go up!! we took out the buttons on the door but there was no problem with that!! if anybody knows how to fix this please reply!!
  • aagaag Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like the motor is gone. It will cost you around $400 to replace it.
  • badgermombadgermom Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a question about replacing the lens on my 08 Sienna. I had a run in with my garbage can backing out of my driveway today and broke the tail light lens on the passenger side. My husband is going to kill me when he finds out as we have only had our NEW car for 2 weeks. I called the dealership and they want to charge me $256.00 to replace the entire tail light. Since I only need the plastic lens I was wondering if I could just order that by itself. I can only find 07 replacement lens. Does anyone know if that is compatible with the 08 models. Thanks for the help.
    Bummer.

I doubt it changed, but does the dealer have any used 07s that you can compare against?
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    Here's my two cents...call your dealer and speak to the parts department. Ask them to check the part number for a 2007 Sienna, as well as for the 2008. If they have the same part number, the 2007 tail light will fit your 2008 Sienna. Next, I would highly suggest checking Ebay for a replacement tail light, or your local auto junk yard. Unfortunately, late model vehicles get totaled too, and they might have a tail light fr you, or the means to get one. Lastly, you or someone mechanically inclined will be able to swap out these tail lights. The tail light is held in place with two pins on the leading edge of the tail light (on the side of the van), and with two screws that are hidden by the rear hatch. First remove these two screws that are exposed when you open the hatch. Then gently pry the leading edge of the tail light away from the van. You will see these "pins" and where they are located on the replacement tail light, before removing your damaged one. Just be sure not to damage the paint when doing so. I placed a rag against the van before prying the tail light loose with a flathead screw driver. Then with the tail light in your hand, disconnect the wiring harness to the tail light. There will be a single secure clip that needs to be pushed down with your finger for the connection to come apart. Go to the following website and click on "instruction sheet". Once the instruction sheet opens, you will see pictures of the tail light and how they are removed.

http://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1317

Good luck!
  • badgermombadgermom Member Posts: 2
    I did end up bidding on an ebay auction and got just a replacement lens for $22 (plus 18 for shipping). I appreciate your help and I copied your instructions down for my husband so he can change it out. Thanks so much.
  • 01miami01miami Member Posts: 1
    Other electrical work is working

Electric door locks do not work and rear tailgate door cannot be opened. Dome lights are out but all other electrical functions are working. I changed the fuses for the door and dome lights even though the weren't blown. "Check" light came on when this started.
    Is there a common wiring for these 2 processes?
    thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It could be that the dealer service personel are not as "brave" as you regarding how fast they will enter a somewhat tight (my assumption) turn...45-48 mph. You may be encountering the rollover prevention aspects of the Sienna's VSC/Trac "nanny".

But you seem to be describing a circumstance wherein a small level of "plowing"/understearing is almost a given. Braking and turning (tightly..??) at a fairly high speed. Remember that your front brakes will be responsible for 70-80% of the braking effort and "here" you have the front wheels turned at an angle, thereby maybe asking of the front tires' traction coefficient a bit more than they have to "give".

So of course the VSC will sometimes activate in that circumstance.

Throw in a bit of slipperiness to the roadbed and VSC will ALWAYS activate.

The VSC in my '01 RX300 seems to be a bit more prone to activate VSC in "your" circumstance when there is also a slight, but definite, rise in the roadbed as I turn.

Are you, by any chance, applying the brakes because you recognize your entry speed into the (tight) turn is too high...?? In that case the VSC is simply being helpful.
  • hershghershg Member Posts: 2
    Having exact same problem on our 2007 Sienna LE.
    Wondering if you've made any progress in getting it fixed.
    Thanks.
    Sorry we have finally given up. After numerous trips to the dealership and they could not "reproduce" the problem the only thing they could tell us was that they would note it in our records. If you find someone that can give you an answer please let me know. My husband has made a video on his camera phone showing the dashboard lights but the mechanics still have no explaination. Good luck!
  • install4youinstall4you Member Posts: 2
    I had similar problem. Driver window on 2000 Sienna--intermittent stopping. Use suggestion at your own risk. I bought spray can of electrical contacts cleaner--check trade stores that cater to electronics technicians. I removed window control assembly and (can't remember exactly how far) disassembled until I could see actual contacts. Sprayed clean & reassembled. Be really careful with dis- & reassembly. Don't try unless you're willing to replace if you mess it up.

Worked fine for a while (months) then had another failure. Haven't tried cleaning yet, but only failed a couple of times. This last time it would go for an inch or 2 and stop. Then I cut off engine, restarted car, got a couple more inches. After several tries got the window up. Don't know why! Only failed a few times over several days, now ok again...BUT

Now problem others have developed--all dome lights and electric locks failed. Replaced fuses--no help. This seems to be a rare but repeated problem, per internet search. Only solution I've read about was replacing the ECM. Seems drastic! And expensive!
  • dylbrena99dylbrena99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Sienna and the dash board light (the one that illuminates the speedometer, tach, etc.) went out. Also the backlight that illuminates the heating & A/C controls is also out. Makes driving in the dark difficult when you can't see how fast you're going.

I've checked the owners manual, and every single small fuse in the vehicle (actually removed each one and looked at it, and put them back). I can't believe it's a bulb that would control both the dash light and heating and A/C controls back light. I've checked both fuse boxes under the hood and the one behind the small change box near the left knee. Thanks!
  • sponge1sponge1 Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I try to unlock the door (either using the keyless entry or by hand manually) the alarm system goes off. You must then turn on the veh. to get it to turn off. This just started the last two days (got quite cold suddenly). Also noticed that the door locks are behaving a bit strange. One other thing my wife noticed was that twice now when you try to turn on the veh (with the alarm going off) it won't turn in the iginition (like its locked). When you play with the locks (push lock unlock etc.) the iginition will usually then work. This does not happen every time! In fact, only my wife has had this experience (twice). Any Ideas?
    Replace the actual fuse. Some times they look OK but they are not. A hairline crack may not be visible. Try it - they cost pennies.
  • dylbrena99dylbrena99 Member Posts: 3
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Tell your wife to remove the other "chipped" key from her key ring.
  • cassiejanecassiejane Member Posts: 1
    DON'T LET THE AUTO DEALERSHIP/MECHANIC DO A COSTLY REPAIR YET!

This exact same thing happened to me. Ask yourself: did I use the "odometer/trip meter" recently? That little twisty knob under the odometer (for some reason) doubles as a dimmer switch for all of the Indiglo dashboard panel lights (which includes the blue back light on the radio/middle display), although it isn't marked as such and although you already have another dimmer dial to the left of the steering wheel. You might have accidentally twisted the trip meter instead of pushed it and therefore dimmed your display panel and radio backlight to zero. If you do this, the OTHER dimmer switch won't work, which led me to believe it was a fuse or something worse.

A mechanic was going to charge me $1600 to replace the power supply unit! So apparently it is not widely known that this happens, even among mechanics, or else my mechanic was going to keep my Sienna for a few days, then walk out to the van, twist the little trip meter clockwise to make the blue lights come back up, and charge me nearly two thousand dollars for the service. :mad:

I'll always Google a problem I'm having with my car from now on. I saved a lot of money! :shades:
  • cassian7cassian7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sienna, and I have a very similar problem. The power door lock doesn't work when car is not running... when it's running, the power door lock does work.., all dome lights and the clock light are out. What is the problemm??
    The ow
  • install4youinstall4you Member Posts: 2
    My problem was that on a 2000 Sienna the dome lights and door locks quit working and the headlights would only come on with the engine running (or maybe key on-don't remember exactly). (Note here--I checked and rechecked fuses. Also my dash clock was working. The clock and dome lights are on the same fuse on the 2000 model.) After rolling this around in my mind for probably a couple of months I realized that these 3 things all had timer functions. The dome and headlights will turn off after a while when unattended and the doors will relock after a time when unlocked with the remote. I figured that they all must intersect somewhere.

I'm a pretty good problem solver & I was afraid of what a shop diagnosis of electrical problems could cost so I started asking questions of every mechanic I could find. No one wanted to help except for one friend who was willing to print out a basic wiring diagram. I finally went to a Toyota dealership and asked the shop foreman if I could examine some wiring diagrams. He pulled the book and we looked at the individual diagrams for each of the systems with problems. There was a common element on all 3--the INTEGRATION RELAY. This might more appropriately be called a "relay integration module." This device is 2 linked circuit boards that essentially tell all the relays what to do. On the 2000 model Sienna it is in a (+/-) 2.5" X 1.5" X 5" plastic case mounted on the back side of the fuse block under the dashboard. On some cars it is integrally built into the fuse block but on this car it is a replaceable unit.

I learned that there is no way to test this part. Often technicians try to locate an identical part on another car and use it to test the system and see if that’s the problem. I checked with the Parts Department and learned that the new part was about $430! I started looking for a good salvage yard. I found one with the used part in stock for about $100. I went home and pulled and reinstalled the fuse block to see if I could actually do it. I was successful so I drove to the salvage yard and pulled the unit, popped in the replacement part, and suddenly all was right in the world. By the way—it was a good thing I pulled the part out before committing to a replacement. The part number the Toyota place gave me was not the same as on my part. I needed the actual number from my part to match the part at the salvage yard.

I hope this helps someone.
  • livnrileysmomlivnrileysmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Sienna with an electrical Gremlin. Power door has a mind of its own, have been unable to get fixed because the dealer can't fix unless it sees the problem, which happens with no rhyme or reason.

My issue I would like help with is the dash lights. The light that illuminates the Right side and center of display (speed odometer and fuel gauge) is not illuminated in addition to the Air flow selector in the center console. This makes it difficult at night. The controls all work they are just not illuminated. I looked at the fuses and there does not seem to be one that operates just these 2 lights. Also the cigarette lighter doesn't work either but that is not as much of a concern since I do not smoke.
  • eric55eric55 Member Posts: 2
    2008 Sienna Limited AWD. 9000 miles. Dead. No power to dash, dome lights, head lights or anything. Doesn't "click" with the key. Meter on the battery says it has 12.7 volts. It drove fine just an hour prior to attempting to start it.

I measure the 12.7 volts at the main power bar in the fuse box under the hood, so it leaves the battery. There must be a main fuse or relay that delivers it to EVERYWHERE else. I can't find it.

Anybody have any clues? BTW, I am in the country of Turkey and can't readily get to the, or any, US dealer where I purchased the car. I am sure it is in warranty, but no help there. Nothing to help me out at the Toyota website either.
  • eric55eric55 Member Posts: 2
    Found my own problem. I was looking too hard. When shipping a vehicle overseas, the transport company disconnects the battery. When reconnecting the battery in my van, they put the positive cable on tight, but the negative just tight enough to make contact. Over the course of the past year, the nut gradually loosened until yesterday when it lost all contact leaving no return path to the battery. Previously contact would intermittantly be lost causing the Sienna's dashboard clock to reset to 1 AM with no dicernable pattern. I am rather relieved and my clock problem is fixed also.
    Phew, you dodged a bullet there. Glad to hear it's fine.
  • hoppinghopping Member Posts: 1
    2008 Sienna loses all power. Battery seems to be dead. Battery charger brings it back to life. This has happened several times usually after driving at night with lights, A/C, radio, wipers etc. all on.. First the dealer said it was the battery and replaced it. The dealer said the rear door will not drain the battery. (I sometimes leave it up with the interior lights turned off.) - all was well for a month and then same problem.

This time dealer said it was due to rear door being left open even though the interior lights are switched off at the dashboard. The dealer said the rear door drains .5 amp even though the lights are turned off. He said it had to do with the computer trying to talk to the door or something like that.

Does anyone know if this is true?
    Not sure but I have heard something like that, i.e. that lights left on have killed the battery.

I always lock the doors and make sure the lights turn off. If any door is open you get a beeping, so you know to go back and check which door isn't completely shut.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    We always park the van in the garage so we don't bother locking it and have been lax about closing doors. We figured the lights shut off on their own so no problem.

If my wife isn't going out much during the week and the van is left open for a few days the battery is drained. It happened to her twice so now we are careful to get all the doors closed. Doesn't make any sense to me why the doors drain so much power without any lights on.
    Didn't think about the garage. Yeah, I have a car port so it's always locked.
  • tomd8tomd8 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem with my radio. It will display when turn on and then no display later but radio is still working. I have to turn off the radio then turn back on to get the display again. I was wondering did you fix your problem. Thanks.