Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger 4x4 Problems

Comments

• putnumrangerputnumranger Member Posts: 1
    I have 90 model ranger that runs fine on the highway, but as soon as you hit the beach sand the temp gauge starts to climb. I have flushed the cooling system, I have even removed the thermostat. It helped some, I was able to get down the beach a little bit more before it boiled over.
  • ford4xnutford4xnut Member Posts: 1
    To shift into or out of 4low you must come to a complete stop, keep the brake pedal depressed, shift into neautral, then move selector switch. This is for electronic 4x4 switch with automatic trans.

The proceedure for standard shift with electronic 4x4 will require the clutch pedal depressed instead of the brake pedal.

Any trans with manual shift 4x4 generally requires complete stop, put trans in neautral, shift the transfer case into the 4 wheel mode, then shift the trans back into gear.

If you encounter difficulty shifting the transfer case into 4x4, leave it in 2 wheel and back up about 20 ft, shift the trans into neautral while still rolling for about the last 5 to 10 ft, come to a complete stop then try shifting the transfercase into 4x4 mode. If you have the owners manual check for the proceedure described there.
  • cschwartz2cschwartz2 Member Posts: 15
    Check this out loganmd. I also have a 02 4x4 ranger. and of coarse my 4x4 does not switch into any 4x4 motion and the lights do not come on. So far I had my sisters husband look at it since he is a mechanic. He checked it all out and thought it was my transfer case motor. So I bought one put it in and still nothing. I have been trying to figure out this problem for about one year... so far. I did meet this guy on the street a couple of days ago. He said that his 97 problem was a switch on the firewall directly behind the motor and costed $400 to fix it. Now I'm having my brother-n-law look up what he can find at his shop about the switch. I'll let you know what happens. If you hear of anything or get yours fixed please let me know. I have been without 4x4 for two winters now. And it sucks to have people push me out and ask, isn't your truck a 4x4. I hate that!
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    The 4x4 control module is a common cause for this on these Rangers. No need to go without 4 wheel drive! The module is located inside the cab and it is an easy fix.
    Where in the cab is it? And do I need to replace the whole module, or flip a switch or what? Thanks for your feed back!
  • wiwallywiwally Member Posts: 5
    4x4 CM is located behind the lower kick panel on the passenger side, just below the dash (not on the firewall, but along the side, to the forward side of the door hinges) your prob sounds just like the issue i had. Module took care of it ($85 off ebay ;)
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Yep, what wiwally said. I bought mine at a Ford dealer and I think it was around $150 but I don't remember for sure.
    Thanks guys, I will definitely try it out. Here's for hoping!!! In all I'm surprised that Ford did not recall this problem. Seems like everyone who owns a Ford Ranger with 4x4 has had some type of problem with it! Rediculous!!!!
  • TERZITERZI Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. My question is about a Mazda B4000. Seems my girlfriend hit a big pothole, and since then, the front end makes a loud roar while going down the road. Seems mostly coming from the driver side. Is it possible that it is stuck in 4 wheel drive on that side? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  • fryguyfryguy Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible for the 4x4 module switch lights to be dark and still have the 4x4 engaged? I can hear the relay switching on the driver's side when I turn the switch but the lights do not seem to light up. I have a functional fuse in the correct spot.
  • rangerrandy1rangerrandy1 Member Posts: 1
    2003 ranger supercab 4x4 auto shift. when i shift into 4x4 and reach a speed of 30-50kms i hear a loud clunking noise constantly.do u have any advice.
  • cbinkcakcbinkcak Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 ranger 4x4,auto trans w manual locking hubs.
    The fuse under the hood,I think it is 15 amp(might be 10 amp) for the 4x4 switch keeps blowing,even trying to install another fuse you get sparks,just plugging the fuse in.
    I was wondering what it controls,is it the 4x4 module under the dash?

Also,do I need to drop the whole front defferential to change the u-joint next to it?or can I remove the cover and reach in there and do it that way?

Thanks for looking.
  • bears123bears123 Member Posts: 2
    I am working on a 2004 ford ranger 4 x 4, my four wheel drive is not working, I can remove the tires and manually force the hubs to engage and it it works fine and then I have to remove the tires to take it out of four wheel. It works fine when it is in four wheel, I have been told it is a vacuum hose causing the problem, I can't find a vacuum hose diagram to show me where to replace these hoses. Does anyone have a vacuum diagram or would it be something else? Thank You for all your help.
  • rlong65rlong65 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ford ranger 4x4, 3.0 liter. When i shift into 4x4 high there is a hard snap and it feels as though you run over a deep crack in the road. This happens approximately every 10 seconds or so. when i shift back to 4x2 it happens one last time. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, Thank-you.
  • tyca7tyca7 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 ford ranger auto won't shift into 4 wheel, lights come on and I can hear it click in but nothing else the tires don't go. the overdrive won't work either. I don't know if this is related or just a different problem
  • andy106andy106 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any way to install manual locking hubs on a 1998 Ranger 4x4? I've had the electronic/hydrolic hubs fixed three time - they work for a while and then quit, usually when I'm on the beach! I'd have no trouble getting out of the truck to lock or unlock the hubs. Anything to keep it in 4 wheel while on the beach. Thanks for any help --
  • sharris22sharris22 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out if i can disconnect the front and rear drive shafts, remove the transfer case, and replace with a longer drive shaft to perform a 2x4 bypass function only.

I am looking for feedback. This is what I want to accomplish, and here is where i am starting.

I have had a few issues with the transfer case, and i do not have the cash to spend on a new or replacement transfer case. Is there any way to bypass the transfer case when it is COMPLETELY disconnected to any moving internal gears.

It does not park when in park, the drive train up to the transfer case turns but there is a gear disconnected on the inside. it does not exhibit any transmission problems. just will not engage in the transfer case AT ALL.

History: about a year ago, my 4x4 was damages and "stuck" in 4x4 High. so to save gas, i disconnected the front drive shaft assembly. i have not had any problems with noise, vibration, etc until about a month ago. The transfer case made a crunching sound (obviously not good) and I figured i will just drive it like a truck: into the ground.

So now the transfer case is the disease. I want to bypass or isolate it, or if anyone knows where to egt the model below cheap, then I'll replace it.

Ive got plenty of depot level manuals, I'm mechanically inclined. So please leave the stupid comments to the dumb girls who think they need 2 transmissions and "halogen" fluid.

2001 Ford Ranger EXT-Cab 4x4 w/ 2" suspension lift
    V6 4.0L GAS
    Automatic Transmission and electronic 4x4 engagement.
    Transfer Case Model No.: 1L54-7A195-CC, SN: 6C-13-54-000-037

Thanks,
    Steve
    US Army
    VET
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I don't know much about 4 wheel drive, but I think I've seen lots of people that converted to manual hubs. Don't know brands, etc, but it seem to be an easy conversion. And, don't think it costs too much.
  • rogerg215rogerg215 Member Posts: 2
    My has the same symptoms. Have you heard from anyone? rogerg215
  • ranger2001_4x4ranger2001_4x4 Member Posts: 1
    my 4x4 stopped working, i changed the electric motor and that wasnt the problem, i checked the module and that dosnt seem to be the problem either. does anyone have a suggestion??
  • ekemperekemper Member Posts: 1
    did the module fix the problem mine does the same thing will not go to 4low
  • rlong65rlong65 Member Posts: 2
    Haven't heard from anyone. Maybe no one but the 2 of us has this problem. I put my winter tires on a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be doing it less now. Summer tires aren't wore very bad though. Are your tires in bad shape?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The Ranger discussion here is rather slow. There are more active forums on the internet. Can't say more without violating forum rules.
  • crimsincrimsin Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem you guyts are having with my hubs, you have 2 options, you can go with a warn hub wich is expensive, or you can go with a ford hub that cost 144.00 shipped from ford. Here is the web site for the Ford hub.
    link title this is the part # FOTZ3B396A try looking on E bay for the warn option
  • rogerg215rogerg215 Member Posts: 2
    I installed 4 new tires and that made it work like a new truck. Thanks
  • gorf2gorf2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Ranger 4X4 that I would like to customize. Are there any publications relating to customising just the rangers?? Or pubs dealing with custom parts? Also thinking about making it a convertable. Any help appreciated
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    My '06 with 36400 (!) miles is lurching randomly. At worst was doing it every quarter mile. Feels like coming from rear, almost a pause and catch-up. Mechanic thought it was 4x4 problem and replaced the transfer case, which he indicated was shorted out and fluid dark.

It was fine for 100 miles, now it's starting up again, in both 4 and 2 wheel drive. The mechanic drove it for 15 miles and is completely stumped. Happening every mile or so, but now I don't want to drive it! He says it's not rear end -- that they tore that apart and it looks fine.

Any ideas??? Thanks!
  • jmizzlejmizzle Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys i gave a 1993 ford ranger 4.0 L V6 and im having problems with the four wheel drive. When i press the button it does not light up at all?? And the front wheels to not catch either? Any ideas?? Let me kno ASAP thanks.
  • jack78jack78 Member Posts: 5
    HAppy new year
    I haave a 93 Rqanger 4x4 that has a really bad viberation above 60 mph. I had the wheels ballanced and I installed new u-joints and the drive shaft is straight, this viberation is so bad you almost go off the road. I did notice that when I raised the psi in the tires for 30 to 40 psi the viberation seems to not quite so bad, I did notice that if I hit a bump in the road the viberation tends to change, some time better and some times worse.
    Can the carrier bearing cause this?
  • archibald41archibald41 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0L goes into 4wd Hi and I hear relay click, & switch light goes on. 4wd Low does not engage, no click & no light. I tried new 4wd Control Module, same results. Are there separate fuses for each? Where? What else can I try?
  • iw396iw396 Member Posts: 2
    When i switch the knob into 4 wheel hi or low i hear the clicking from the 4x4 command mod., but light dont come on in hi or low. Could it be command mod. or electric motor on transfer case not making a connection?
  • iw396iw396 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever got a answer 2 your 4x4 problems? iI got a similer problem.
  • archibald41archibald41 Member Posts: 2
    I have not received any replys. Still waiting.
  • kevin97116kevin97116 Member Posts: 15
    I put Warn manual hubs in last year. So far, bullet proof, and cheaper than the Ford auto hubs.
  • 87dangerranger87dangerranger Member Posts: 2
    im having trouble and not sure what to do, i had a 1988 ford bronco II, that i pulled the tranny and transfer case out of, both were fine when pulled, just the motor blew, so i bought a 87 ranger 4x4 with a bad tranny, so i swapped the tranny and transfer case both, and put in the 88 tranny and t-case. now i have 4 hi but when i click 4-lo the light blinks, and when i click the 2 wheel, the light goes out, but im still in 4 wheel, not sure if i have a vacuum line mixed up or what!!! any ideas please let me know so i can get my toy back on the road, and play in the snow
  • 87dangerranger87dangerranger Member Posts: 2
    try replacing the t-case motor if it is push button, thats what i had to do on my 88 bronco II to get the 4 wheel to work
  • kruegkrueg Member Posts: 1
    if ya hear your 4x4 motor click,its prob okay, if ya see frt driveshaft turning, and frt axles not turning, hub issue! got a cheap and quick fix,cause hubs are expensive! pop hub caps off, turn center part of plastic hub counterclockwise, then cut mesh/plastic center out,and reinstall,now ya got a push button 4x4 hub, quick and cheap!push all way in and release,then engaged, push half way in until light click noise, then disengaged
  • greafgreaf Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 with the same problem :mad: . just happened yesterday with 12" of snow on the ground. any solutions.
  • prayerhikerprayerhiker Member Posts: 12
    I`m new here. Ford Ranger 06 has 4x4 Problems. It will engage H & Low. After a mile or So it sounds like You are Running over Sticks or Bumps. Then it will Settle out and Do it again . 2 Major Snow Storms in Pa. It will Run Fine out of 4x4 . Any Ideas ? I have also Had Wheel Lock up . So I don`t use the Parking Break Much . Just leave it in Gear to Park. I had an 98 Ranger it also Locked up. Had to Get new Emergency Cable... Is this going to be a Costly Fix. Thanks for Your Time
  • richgsi1richgsi1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 is doing the same thing. I have heard everything from one tire is wore worse than the others and that is causing it to the u joints are bad. Has anyone fixed this problem. I do not want to start throwing money at it and not fix the problem.
  • jpwebbjpwebb Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if the hubs from ebay fixed your problem. I have a 97 that does the same thing you mentioned, I have automatic hubs, can I change them to manual or should I go back with automatic?
  • jpwebbjpwebb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 ranger 4x4 with automatic hubs, everything is working on the 4wheel drive, except the hubs are not engaging. can these be changed to manual hubs or should I go back with the automatic hubs. I found some manual hubs on ebay for $265, it comes with a conversion kit to change them over.(not sure if that works) or I can get some rebuilt automatic hubs for $225.
    I went to the Ford Dealer today . I took my Wife and engaged the 4x4 on the way in. She also noticed the Bump noise. The Mechanic took it on a 15 mile Ride and Could not hear any Problem. Ran a Computer Test on it and said that the 5 & 6 spark plug /wires were showing up on the test.... I said I would Do the Work. I pick up Plugs & Plug Wires. Change out 2 Tonight. 5&6 . Will Change out the Rest Tomorrow. He seem to Think that the Engine was Lugging down when in the 4x4 Mode causing a problem. ?
    I had a 98 Ranger and it would do the Same Thing. It would Read that it was in 4x4 HI and not engaged. I t was bitter cold out that Winter . No Garage and the Pneumatic part Froze up. When it Thawed out it Worked. I had a Friend who was a Mechanic and Said just get the Hubs that you Manually Lock in / out . Just a Thought.
    Still working on the 4x4 Problem. Changed out 4 of the 6 Plugs/ Wire so Far ... 2&3 are a Real Bear to Get To. Anyway It Ran smoother but still front end noise only when engaged in 4x4 . Runs Great out of 4 Wheel. ???? III JOHN 2
  • thebratt73thebratt73 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 97 ford ranger when i turn knob nothing happens even the lights on the dash don't light up 4 the 4wd just recently had my bro put a new transfer case motor on still nothing when he had raised the truck the only wheel that spun was the driver side rear he had looked up online about the problem and someone had said about the shift module (located in the dash) we r both rackin r brains about this can someone help i have a feeling i'm just gonna have 2 do a process of elimination
    I had the same problem with my 02 ranger. It took me 2 years to figure it out with out paying a ton of money to someone. But my problem was the 4x4 control module, located under the passenger side kick panel. Simple to remove kick panel and module(2 screws). Module costed me $180.00 through a friend who works for a dealership. But since I put it in, I have been able to beat the piss out of my truck without worring about getting stuck!!! Extremely happy with my ranger again. I was thinking about getting rid of it due to all the 4x4 problems I have heard about. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • bah30012bah30012 Member Posts: 2
    I found your site yesterday and it was useful to me. It helped me hone in on the problem with my ranger. So in appreciation I would like to let others know what I found.
    I have owned my ranger since new, it was in garage at night until last year and the 4X4 worked until 2 months ago. When it failed me I called dealer who said that the shift motor on transfer case was probably bad - cost to replace about $400. After researching this I bought a rebuilt motor, installed it and still had the problem. But by this time, I was suspecting a different problem because sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. After reading the threads on this site, and another, I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the electronics. Still would not work all the time. About a week ago I noticed that it would not work when it was cold but would work after I had driven it for 30 minutes. At first I thought it was the shift motor warming up but I now know it is the control module. I proved this by waiting for it to be cold (less than 40F), seeing that it didn't work then warming the CM with a hair dryer. I took the panel off to expose the CM when I warmed it. Now I am trying to buy the CM off of Ebay. I suspect that some of the other folks who have had problems when it snowed, etc may have the same problem. I also wonder if I have had the problem for awhile but that it didn't show up sooner because the Ranger was in the garage.
  • bah30012bah30012 Member Posts: 2
    See my previous post. Got new comand module for 4X4 control, 2001 ranger, from Ebay. This fixed my problem. I hope this helps others. It only takes 30 minutes to replace.
  • glenizmglenizm Member Posts: 1
    same as all the others, nothing happened when the knob was turned to 4x anything, i took the motor off the transfer case, checked all the mechanical involved and found nothing wrong. after reading a few comments i went and pulled out the fuse(15amp) that went to 4x4 module battery feed(B+). i left it out for about 5 min, while it was out i checked the 10 amp fuse to the 4x4 mod(run/start). nothing wrong- put it back. before i put the 15amp fuse back in, i put the switch to 4x4high and then started the truck, THEN i put the 15amp back in... bam!! finally got my 4x4 back and it was free!!