Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger 4x4 Problems

Comments

• ford4life2ford4life2 Member Posts: 2
    If you could help me out with my ranger problem that would be great, respond ASAP.
  • rowboat99rowboat99 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 87 4X4 Ranger. Bought truck used drove it on beach 4 wheel low wasn't working only 4 high. Went surfing tried to reverse off of sand transmission wouldn't engage into reverse only into Drive. Almost forgot truck is automatic. Pulled truck out of sand and discovered I now have no reverse. Any suggetion on how to trouble shoot or repair. Friend told me it could be the modulator. Thank you.
  • mydaemamydaema Member Posts: 1
    For about a week or alittle more, I have heard a humming noise when I take my foot off the gas on my Ford 2001 Ranger 4 x 4, no matter what the speed. It seems to be getting worse. I asked a friend what he thought the noise was, and he thought either the transmission, or the differential. Anyone have any idea what it could be, and how much this is going to cost? I cannot tell if it is comming fromthe front of the engine or the back. Seems like the front, but not sure. Thanks for any help.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The Idle Air Valve, when it gets dirty can vibrate and cause a humming.

This can be removed and cleaned, or replaced for about $60 at a parts house.
  • muzmanmuzman Member Posts: 1
    Year/Make/Model: 2000 FORD RANGER SUPER
    2000 Ford Ranger:
    Body Style: SUPER CAB PICKUP
    Engine: 3.0L V6 EFI FLEX FUEL
    Drive line: 4 WHEEL DRIVE
    Brakes: 4wd anti-lock brake system
    Odometer: 106,000

I've had this vehicle for 2 years and have been pleased with its performance--when the wheels don't lockup occasionally--after sitting overnight. The incidents in the past happened about 6 times over the first 18 months, but are more frequent now.
    During one episode this winter, the rear and/or front wheels on the driver's side would spin on the ice--depending whether is was in 2 or 4w drive--but the passenger side wheels would not turn at all. The low range 4wd light remained on in this case, even when I switched to 4wd high, then 2wd high (I had parked it the night before in 4wd low-range).
    We jacked up the passenger side to try and manually rotate the front wheel...barely moved and the front drivetrain and axles budged with the wheel movement. The engine was off, the transmission in neutral, the setting at 2wd, and the parking brake off. After we pondered our options for an hour, we removed the jack, out of curiousity, started up the truck and backed up with no problem! Did we manually unlock some problem? Locked auto hubs?
    Last Monday, I took the extra precaution to take the truck out of 4wd and into 2wd high range, back it up about 20 feet, go forward again, then kill the engine and set the parking brake. To my dismay, I found the truck locked up again this Wednesday morning. We had one of our typical snowstorms that dropped the temperature from 70 degrees on Sunday to the low 20's on Monday when I ran the truck into town in 4wd, high.
    I was ready to check the fuses after leaving the truck in the sunshine for 5 hours, but decided to see if it'd move first. It did!
  • twaldentwalden Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 and it does the same thing. the auto locking hubs suck.
  • copperrangercopperranger Member Posts: 1
    2000 ford ranger 3.0 flex engine
    my front hubs wont connect. when i shift into 4X4 high or 4X4 low you can feel the the transfer case hooking up but the front wheels wont pull.
    anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong
  • cessna180cessna180 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 98 ranger, its a vaccum, system, and ive had similiar problems, if the system, gets gunked up, [actually the fork, wont engage]... from eithier lack of use,.. or,..bad vaccum, [aka hose,] ive found and spoken with ford dealers ,... this sounds crazy but, smack the housing with a rubber mallet, or take the unit apart and clean it,... obviously bad design, the key ive heard... switch to manual locking hubs, or use it once a month,.. id like any more feedback, on this as well.. sincerely cessna 180.
  • jbreshearsjbreshears Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I've acquired a nice '87 Ranger 4x4 with 4 cyl, 4 speed and manual hubs, for crawling through the woods. I have broken the left front u-joint yoke when the joint went out. The axle side yoke is ok. Can anyone tell me the steps to disassemble that part to replace the broken yoke? Must I pull the axle to install the u-joint. It looks like it might be done in place. I appreciate the help. j
  • ncherryncherry Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4. When I turned the drive switch to 4WD High the light came on, but when I turned the switch to Low the High light stayed on. Checked fuse #28 and found it was missing. It was the only empty slot with contacts in the bottom. Installed a fuse and now the High and Low lights work. Not sure, but believe the 4WD is working...doesn't seem to skid when in a hard turn on soft ground. In any case, thanks for the tip. Does anyone have any idea why someone would remove the fuse?
    Regards,
    Norm
  • dper299dper299 Member Posts: 19
    Recentely I tried to shift my 98ranger into 4 wheel drive and nothing happened. Now both 4 wheel high/4 wheel low indicator lights flash together for a few secs then go off for a few mins then flash again. I just changed the transfer case fluid,but this time I used the Merc5 instead of regular ATF,I looked at all the fuses and everything seems ok,Any Ideas? Thanks :confuse:
  • jtv3jtv3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Edge that won't go into 4 wheel high or low. It's done this before while trouble shooting it I found that when I pulled the fuse and put it back in it started to work. It's not working now, any thoughts or suggestions as to what to look at. Thanks Jim
    Hello all:
    Well I got the above problem fixed. After Taking off the shift motor and taking it apart I found out that the Electric motor had water leak into it from the "O" ring between the motor and gear housing,Thus causing the armature and magnets to rust together,siezing it up.So after getting it apart and getting all the rust off and getting it all cleaned up then applying some waterproof marine grease to the unit,and then sealing with RTV high temp black silicone adhesive where the housing come together.along with sealing any place that might leak inside and out,I put the motor back on the truck and it works as good as new now. :)
  • wwheeler15wwheeler15 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I have a 1999 Ford ranger 4x4 with a 5.0. I'm trying to replace the front wheel hub assembly. I took the "nub" off the wheel, It has gears and stuff in it, and i broke the plastic pieces that were holding it on. What is this piece called, and were can i find a new one if i need it?
  • bullit7bullit7 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1993 Ranger and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work.Has anyone changed one to manual shift and can it be done.Is it possible to make a shifter to take the place of the electric motor and shift it with a stick?
  • el_mnel_mn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 4 liter automatic. I just took it out of storage a couple weeks ago (stored for the summer) and learned the hard way my 4wd isn't working. I turn the switch and nothing happens... no light comes on, no click in my dash. Possible bad switch or relay??? Checked all the fuses and they were all good. More crap weather is coming this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kevin97116kevin97116 Member Posts: 15
    When I was having 4x4 shifting issues and was looking for possible fixes (mine ended up being electric hubs, replaced with manuals) I was told that it's common to have the shifting mechanism seize up from grit etc, especially when not used for a period of time. I was told to shift into 4x4 and back out every month of so just to keep the stuff sliding properly. I never ended up having to take my transfer case apart so I can't help much there, but perhaps someone else can tell you what to look for there.

good luck,
    Kevin
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    The 4X4 control module is a pretty common problem on these. Do a search for "Ranger 4X4 control module" and you will find lots of information.
  • el_mnel_mn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a ton for all the help guys. I'm pretty positive it's the control module. After doing more research it said they are notorious for going out on 01-03 ford models, especially when you charge or replace the battery. What did i do right before i took it out of storage, had to jump the battery then replace it with a new one... so it must have fried it. My mechanic buddy came over with his plug in computer and the control module was the only thing he couldn't communicate with, so I'm pretty sure that's it. Thanks again you guys saved me a bunch of money on labor fees.
  • ranger4x4ranger4x4 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 97' ford ranger. the electronc swich engages the tranfercase but does not go to the axle and the hubs dont lock in. the fuses are good. what can it be? i was thinking the vacume lines?
    i have a 97' ford ranger. the electronc swich engages the tranfercase, i can feel it go to 4x4 low, the hubs dont lock in. the fuses are good. what can it be? i was thinking the vacume lines?
    i have a 97' ford ranger. the electronc swich engages the tranfercase but does not go to the axle and the hubs dont lock in. the fuses are good. what can it be? i was thinking the vacume lines?
  • mmcfee2mmcfee2 Member Posts: 2
    Jim, Did you ever solve your problem? I am experiencing the same. I have a 2001 4.0L 4x4. Same as you, 4x4 stopped working, I pulled the fuse, it was good so I re-inserted and 4x4 started working again. Now, a few months later, we get our first snow, and it's not working again. The fuse out/in does not fix the problem this time. I'm suspecting the 4x4 control module under the passenger's kickplate? When I engage the 4x4 swtich, no click, no lights, nothing......Just wondering if you got to the root of this problem and what your fix was...Thanks, Mark
  • myford1myford1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1988 ford ranger xlt 4x4 that has the touch drive 4 wheel drive well i used the 4 wheel drive today in low range and then when i got back onto the road i tried to turn it off and it won't disengage it is stuck in 4x4 low range so far i have pounded on the cylonoid and i have disconnected the battery to try and disengage it and nothing has worked any ideas of how to get it out of 4 wheel drive would be appreciated thanks
  • cbinkcakcbinkcak Member Posts: 4
    Hello,I put manual hub on a 1997 ranger last year.

Now it will not go into 4 wheel drive(hi or lo).The lights on the dash light up when it is started,they work when you turn the switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 hi and lo,but the eletric shift motor doesn't turn.
    I installed a new electric shift motor,but it doesn't do anything either.There was a wire from the transfer case to the old shift motor.I stripped the wire on the plug going up thru the floor (black I think) and still nothing.

What else can I try now.

Thanks for any help.
    Hello,I put manual hubs on a 1997 ranger last year,it worked fine then.

Now it will not go into 4 wheel drive(hi or lo).The lights on the dash light up when it is started,they work when you turn the switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 hi and lo,but the eletric shift motor doesn't turn.
    I checked the fuses in the cab and under the hood,all looked fine.
    I installed a new electric shift motor,but it doesn't do anything either.There was a wire from the transfer case to the old shift motor.I stripped the wire on the plug going up thru the floor (black I think) and connect the wire from the transfer case to it,still nothing.

What else can I try now?

Thanks for any help.
  • red100red100 Member Posts: 1
    my 4x4 traction repeatedly disengages ! winter 2007,ford dealer blamed my lighter [gunked-up w/ashes] on blowing my shared fuse for 4x4...cost me $120, to which ford refuses to reimburse ! ** I ARGUED THAT IT WAS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW , & FUSE SHOULD BE DEDICATED. fast forward december to 5th 2008,4x4 disengages once again.lighter cannot be blamed because i removed lighter stick after first incident. i purchased truck brand new, & i've used 4x4 lightly [no off-roading] maybe 10x. this is a recall waiting to happen !!
  • hjo1hjo1 Member Posts: 1
    Did it feel like the differential was slipping? Like hitting a bump? Only in 4 wd? It has happened to me this winter and the dealer tells me nothing is wrong. Have you fixed the problem? Was wondering why my lighter was missing when I bought it!
    thanks!
  • ken228ken228 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my son has a 2003 Ford Ranger. The other day it was an icy glaze when he drove it home and parked it in the garage, and he had it in 4 wheel drive. I think he disengaged it at the last minute, but anyway, this AM he tried to back it out of the garage and the rear wheels didn't want to turn, it was like they were locked up. I let him take my car to work. What does he need to do next when he gets home later to make it work again?
    thank you....
  • shawnranger99shawnranger99 Member Posts: 2
    I switch to 4 wheel drive and the 4 wheel dash light lights up and says im in 4 wheel drive but the front wheels are not pulling. I put it in neutral and than turn the dial to 4 low and the 4 low light lights up and front wheels still are not pulling, i can tell that it has went into low range. my ranger is a 99 3.0 automatic. could this be those piece of crap vacume hubs? ive been told that i need to put some manual locking hubs on it and by pass them vacume hubs. transfer case seems to be working.
  • fomocobro1fomocobro1 Member Posts: 3
    driving my 93 4.0 4x4 5 speed..all of a sudden the thing just loses the clustch or somethin..it was whining all the way home and then it just went out..i pulled over and there was smoke comin from the bell housing..then when i push the pedal in it is fine..when i release it makes a god awful noise like a growl or somethin..hard to explain..then it starts smokin and i can smell clutch..but as i said when i push the clutch in its fine..it makes the same noise in nuteral with the clutch out..is it the clutc or the tranny or the t/c..manual shift t/c
  • fomocobro1fomocobro1 Member Posts: 3
    okay my 93 ranger manual t/c 5 speed just died when i was coming home...it felt like the clutch went..so i pulled over and i noticed smoke coming from the bell housing..then i tried to get it to go again and when i got the clutch in it dont make the noise..when i release the clutch either in neutral or in gear it makes a rough noise comin from the bell housing i believe! would this be the transfer case tranny or clutch..as it only makes noise when released in gear or in neutral..but dont make any when engaged..it tries to move then it slips and makes that noise like somethin not metal slapping around in somethin..as i said there was prominenet clutch material smell..im used to the rigs ya could see through the bell housing!
  • spyac3spyac3 Member Posts: 5
    After much of my own searching I found the answers if your switch is activating the shift motor on the transfer case. Take off the shift motor and mark the position of the trianular bushing turn the switch to 4 hi and see if the busing moved. Yes in 4 wheel low you can tell it has engaged into low however the 4 wheel still does not work. If you dont want to spend the $150 for manual hubs try this I did it to my 99 Ranger in 2007 and it really works no more problem.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm
  • shawnranger99shawnranger99 Member Posts: 2
    i purchesed a set of rugged ridge manual locking hubs. I was woundering if they will go into my ranger like a set of avm hubs. the address of the hubs on the net will be at the end of this messege, please take a look at them and tell me what you think. I was woundering how to inststall these myself and how hard it will be? When i put them into place do i put them in set in the locked position?

http://www.speedycarparts.com/sku/Ford_Ranger_Rugged-Ridge_Locking-Hub_1999_2001- _15001.7.html?srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=17-25758297-2
  • wiwallywiwally Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like ur clutch went out, but i would check the trans (jack up rear wheels, have someone hold the clutch released and turn the trans output shaft by hand) this will at least let you know the driveline and trans turn freely, and there was no problems there attributing to the clutch failure. if everything sounds fine, then the noise you are hearing is most likely the clutch itself. there should be some sort of access hole or plate to remove to take a peek inside. One things for sure, if you can smell the clutch....it needs a new one! :(
    ok, here comes the age-old deal with these.... 01 ranger, cv front shafts (no lockouts) only 4x4 engage/disengage is the t-case motor. here's whats going on:
    Start the truck, both 4x4 indicators come on momentarily, then go out. no response from the switch at all, no indicators come on when switched to 4hi or 4lo. fuse in dash good for 4x4, as is 20amp under the hood. checked for power at motor-nothing in any switch position. removed motor, supplied power, works in both directions with no trouble. Disconnected battery to power down and "reset" the 4x4 module.....still nothing. anyone have any wiring diagrams on how this system works? I'm wondering if the sensor/contac ring on the motor is bad, but need to know how to check it. Hate to buy either a motor or a module and not be able to return them! any help greatly appreciated!
  • spyac3spyac3 Member Posts: 5
    I would say if you have mechanical ablility they shouldn't be difficult to install, once they are in if you leave them in the locked position it would be no different then the previous fix i mentioned previously with the website link I provided showing how to bypass the Pulse vacuum system which is basically how the newer models function.

You only need to lock them in when you want 4x4 and you will still need to use the switch on the dash to engage 4 wheel hi and 4 wheel lo.
  • 2006ranger2006ranger Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 2006 ford ranger supercab 4x4. i had a problem with my four wheel drive locking in and out when using it in the snow. i took the truck to the local dealer and they told me that one tire was wore down more than the rest and there is a sensor that picks up that tire and it sends a signal to the computer telling it that the onetire is spinning more than the rest or that it is stuck so there for it causes your four wheel drive to not work properly. the only way to fix the problem, is when you need a tire or tireson your truck, its a must to replace all 4 tires or you will have this problem. this is not a bulshit lie, i have tested it with used tires from tire shops and i had all different tires all the way around the truck and the 4x4 locked in and out, but when i put a new set of tires on it stopped.
    I have a 98 Ranger 4x4 143,000 miles and I thought I had a good idea on how the 4x4 works, but now I am starting to doubt myself..
    I know that when you shift it into 4x4 the transfer case motor engauges the transfer case, which in turn locks the front drive shaft..
    Now here is were I am lost, The front shaft is locked in,but I can still turn the CV's and the wheels spin free when holding the CV's. I have vacume to the Hub's. Now do the hub's have anything to do with the Front diff locking in and powering the front wheels,or should the front diff be locked in and the (CV's can't spin) with the front shaft when in 4wd.
    You are both right (and wrong) When you activate the 4x4, YES the actuator turns the tcase motor to lock tcase in 4x4. But that actuator is not responsible for locking your front hubs. Your front hubs are locked in via vaccum created by your engine. My ranger is an '01 wich has a different setup (no more vaccum hubs, becasue Ford finally realized they were nothing but trouble!) Your Ranger should have a rubber vaccum line coming down from the engine compartent to provide vaccum to the hubs. check this line for cracking/chaffing. what would be the best would be to manually put vaccum to the hubs and see if they lock. I don't know all the specifics, but i do know a certain amount locks and another amount unlocks them. i don't know where the lines connect exactly either... but your problem lays in the front hubs not locking. When i was looking for info on my '01 not engaging 4x4 i found all kinds of info for your model year....keep looking you'll find the specifics ;)
    To be more specific on my question:
    How does/is the front diff engauged ?
    I lifted the whole vehicle in the air, started the truck , put it into 4wd and everything turned with the exception of the wheels. But when I put the vehicle down and locked into 4wd the driveshaft is locked in and turns but the Cvs/front axles can spin free
    Sorry took so long...only get my email @ work (and work the w/e shift!)
    I worked on an '01 which has Ford's latest setup (cv front axles with no disconnect other than the t-case) My parents had a '94 with auto locking mechanical hubs (still different from yours). You have managed to get a model year with what i would consider (and many, many others!) to be Ford's worst idea! (SORRY, but its true!) Here's what i found on your system:
    Your hubs are called Pulse Vaccuum Hubs (PVH) and are found on model years '98-'00. Basically vaccuum is supplied to each of the front hubs, which locks them in. They work off a vacuum pump which is supposedly located under your air filter box. Check to make sure it is working; if it appears like its working go on to the vacuum line(s)? that lead to the front axle from the pump and check for any leakage. Next check the front hubs. The locking hubs are the black caps in the center of each from wheel…..they snap on and off..(hard to take off without breaking a few tabs, so be careful)..There are seals on these hubs, one or both may not be holding the vacuum created by the pump. If you have a leak anywhere, the hubs are rendered useless. Best bet is to replace with manual locking hubs or this will be a continuous headache. Search AVM hubs on the net, you’ll be able to find Manual lockouts for it.
    OR TRY THIS..... FOLLOW THE LINK (copy and paste if you have to)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/../Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm
    Let me know what you think! ;)
  • grumpy77grumpy77 Member Posts: 3
    what if 4wd hi works but 4low does not work
    goes into 4hi but not 4low is it switch or something else anyone have this problem before
  • mmcfee2mmcfee2 Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 2001 and has the transfer case motor, no locking hubs.....If yours is the same, the fact that 4 wheel high is working tells me the transfer case motor is fine. That leaves suspision with the 4x4 module. The 4x4 module needs reprogrammed or is bad. It is located under the passenger's side kickplate. You can replace it yourself, if you can find one, but you probably don't have the equipment to reprogram it.
    thanx for the info i hear ford makes one that is already programmed is that true?
  • fordsucks01fordsucks01 Member Posts: 1
    Have 1998 4x4 with vacume hubs. Cant find the tool to take them off. What a really bad design. Vacume hoses need replaced and if there broke your heater takes a crap to. Wheel bearing went bad and melted the hub. Can anyone tell me where to get the hub puller for these hubs.
  • mjumpermjumper Member Posts: 2
    I switched into 4x4 low yesterday and it won't release. Any suggestions ?
  • mjumpermjumper Member Posts: 2
    I saw all of the postings about the 4x4 and removing the fuse, did not work. The light on the dash does not go out and it is locked in low 4x4. Any suggestions ?