Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Crew Cab Experiences

jsc8116jsc8116 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
Will be in the market for 05 or newer crew cab LS, 4x2. Anything I need to look out for on any of those model years, pro/con to any of those certain years. Thanks...

Comments

• vickery8vickery8 Member Posts: 3
    Look for a bounce or constant shake at 40-50 mph. They have not resolved this issue so far. I have a 2006 2wd sierra with 8500 miles on it and have had the condition since day one.
  • brix92brix92 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Classic 1500HD crew cab and when all 4 windows are down, the noise is horrific!!! So bad that I can't drive w/all of the windows down.
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    I had that same problem with my F150. I opened the sunroof to relieve the air pressure which stopped the buffeting noise. BTW, I have had this problem for years with many different brands. Amazing that this sort of problem is not recognized by all the makers and resolved before putting model into production.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    When all four windows are down in my new model 2007 Silverado, the noise is also bad at fwy. speeds. This is common in all 4 door pickups that I've been in. I think a harmonic pressure pulse is set up inside the cab. However, when I slide the rear window open (I have the optional rear slider), the noise is cut a noticeable amount to the point where it is quite bearable. This was an unexpected but appreciated benefit of ordering the slider. If you can, get a rear window that opens.

1offroader
  • itishertruckitishertruck Member Posts: 1
    After some internet research I have narrowed my choice of new 2007 crew cab to either a Tundra or a Silverado. Has anyone had experience with either?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If the tundra had rear sliding doors I would consider it. Other than that it is an unproven product and I'd rather gamble at vegas rather than gamble with a first run production. I'd go with the Silverado.
  • bustedknuckl2bustedknuckl2 Member Posts: 1
    looking in to duramax crew 250.whats the average miles per gallon?im towing a trailer that weighs around 5,000 lbs.it will be my everyday driver also.thanks for help
  • builderbillbuilderbill Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 2500 HD CC 4x4 duramax for a couple of months and also pull my 5,000 lb cargo trailer. I've been averaging around 13 MPG highway/town. I here others on here with much better MPG reports but haven't seen it in mine. I'm sure it makes a difference of how each person drives? Can't beat the performance and power though no matter what the mileage.
  • banshee409banshee409 Member Posts: 4
    1. Does a 1500 limited slip rear end require an additive when changing out?
    2. Is it ok to run dextron III in the 4 wheel drive transfer case?
    1. Does a 1500 limited slip rear end require an additive when changing out?
    2. Is it ok to run dextron III in the 4 wheel drive transfer case?

Since we have to guess as to what year your truck is (and yes it makes a difference) have you tried reading your owners manual for that info?
  • banshee409banshee409 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Chevy. The owners manual doesn't say anything about rear end additive and when I called a dealer, the lady that was in service sounded like she only knew what the manual had in it.

How abou the Dextron III in the transfer case? This is what a parts house recomended.

Thanks
    The additive was discontinued in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. Dextron III is what is recommended for the transfer case.

If you look under the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, it should provide the recommended maintenance items based on mileage/date. When it's time to replace the dextron III in the transfer case there should be a page next or before that tells you what to use when replacing the transfer case fluid.
  • 9_376_Slvrdo9_376_Slvrdo Member Posts: 5
    Chevrolet Silverado all the way!! Much better built truck bar none. Fully boxed hydoformed frame, solid powertrain, best interior, best ride, the list goes on and on.... Toyota's Tundra is cheaply built and does not have anything on the Silverado. Check out "Bed Bounce" on YouTube. The Tundra practically bends in half at the cab/bed line and twists back and forth. A must view if you are considering the Tundra. This video will definitely change your mind. It's a video Ford put together, but I think the Chevy Silverado performed even better than the Ford. Chevrolet has the experience and know how under their belt, 90+ years, Toyota maybe 15.
  • docstar31docstar31 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 06 chevy 1500 2 wheel drive crewcab with 90,000 miles. Past 2 wks, front breaks have been grabbing at diff speeds. Truck slows down without applying breaks(not by tranny either). Have replaced rotors,pads,and hardware.Not breaklines though.Get home, breaks are like I just raced at martinsville speedway. Any ideas..
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    ABS system?
  • donaldpigottdonaldpigott Member Posts: 1
    my father has a 2000 sierra 1500 4wd .when slightly pressing brake pedal 10 mph or less the pedal actually pushes back and brakes fail,this has not yet happened at normal drivind speeds but twice pulling in driveway which cost a new garage door and again pulling in gas station the other day.is this a abs module problem?
This discussion has been closed.