Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

kobe8rice41kobe8rice41 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2014 in Jeep
I just purchased this SUV and I have a question about the part time and full time 4WD. When I have the Jeep in part time or full time and I turn pretty sharply (aka. into a parking space) it starts kicking and shaking. It seems that it happens more violently sometimes than others but it typically always does it. There is no grinding noise or anything like that but it kicks and it doesn't do it in 2WD. Hope someone can tell me if there is a problem and if there is, most likely what it is.
Thanks!

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    follow these suggestions and you will never have problems with drive line binding.
    Stay out of part-time drive unless you are in loose gravel, deep mud, or other very slippery conditions.
    Shift into or out of full-time drive ONLY on the fly below 50mph. Don't shift in your garage or when parked.
    Happy trails to you.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    I suspect that the internal shift mechanism is spring loaded so that the operator can move the lever when sitting still or moving but the actual shift is not made until the vehicle is moving and the parts line up. When shifting out of 4wd while moving the actual shift does not occur until the parts are unloaded and line up.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Spring loaded shifting is one thing, but what I found out at my own expense is that the truck has to move forward to engage in a new position (combination) of the high range.
    Here is my case:
    I need to drive backwards on an icy slope to park in my driveway. It's a 25% slope with ice on one side and asphalt on the other side. If I don't engage 4WD Part time before approaching home (on the street), I can't stop the truck while backing up and going downhill on ice.
    The ABS is dangerous in this case because when the truck looses trajectory it's practically impossible to get it moving in the opposite direction (going upwards) in 2wd and give it enough time to engage the transfer case differential. It will keep sliding sideways until it hits a wall :sick:
    Conclusion:
    Whoever foresees using 4WD Part Time to leave a tricky parking spot should engage the transmission before stopping the vehicle. The risk of engaging 4WD after the event (snowfall) is digging into the ground with the rear axel before the front wheels start spinning.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Caribou1, the spring loaded shift was an explanation not an instruction.

What you articulate is why many owners of other brands of older 4wd's installed manual locking front hubs. They would lock in the front hubs at the beginning of winter or before a snow storm so that when 4wd was engaged there was no delay in front lock-up. You have also identified the main reason why many high-tech high cost-suvs are useless in some situations such as a steep slick driveway. The suv's that rely on sensing differential motion between the front and the rear can be already spinning on one axle (usually the front) when the second axle is engaged (usually the back) and the second axle starts spinning also. Hence, the vehicle does not move.

The Liberty front axles are fixed to the hubs so no delay at that point. However, we ended up with a transfer case that creates the delay. :sick: With a little fore thought... :)
  • eppingepping Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Problem #1. When I turn on the heat I get this burnt oil smell. It only does it when its warm but it's still annoying. Problem #2 This winter was hard I know but I'm extremely anal retentive about keeping it clean, why is the paint rusting allready. The dealorship said theres nothing they can do for me and I'm pissed. It only has 3000 miles on it and I just bought it last summer. Any advice
  • wittsendwittsend Member Posts: 6
    You will find this problem in most 4X4 vehicles with a short wheel base. When the front wheels are locked together the inside (of the turn) wheel has to turn faster than the outside. Thus causing a slipping of the outside wheel sideways, and pushing outward with the inside wheel. In a nut shell they are fighting each other because of different turning radius'.
  • wittsendwittsend Member Posts: 6
    If the dealer is telling you there is nothing they can do then ask them: When the next date is for the manufactures district representative to appear at the the dealership and you want an appointment to talk with him/her.
  • moparcrazymoparcrazy Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 jeep liberty that wont start,i turned it off for about 30 min went to start it again and nothing, like it had a dead Battery so i bought a new Battery and still the same thing,everything else works fine just the engine wont crank over ?? :confuse:
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Try to 'tap' the starter motor with a piece of wood where the large cable is connected (there is no risk with wood). You may have a dirty contact in the solenoid/relay or one of the brushes from the motor can stick along it's slide/holder. If your lights don't dim when you try to start this means power doesn't reach the motor, and you're battery is fine.
  • clairificclairific Member Posts: 1
    My liberty is an automatic and only has four options- 2Hi, 4Hi, N, and 4lo. When I am in 4H it says I am in Part Time 4wd. A friend that has an 06 said that I should be driving in full time. There isn’t a light that comes on in any of those choices that says full time. Which gear should I be driving in? I live in Alaska and it is very snowy lately.

Thank you,
    Claire
  • CRD_BullydogCRD_Bullydog Member Posts: 19
    Hey guys,
    This is normal. The vehicle will jump cause the tires are grabbing when your are locked in.

This skipping or hop on dry pavement is just breaking traction and indicates there is a excess differential load on the drive line in tight turns. The differentials are not perfectly adjusting to the arc of the turn. Normal ! Normal ! Normal !.

Ah... not a good idea to be in 4WD on a good traction surface and be making lots of short turn though, Duh!
This discussion has been closed.