Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Grace10 said:I am not really looking for speed I am more looking for how long they last and price.

06mazda3s said:Lowering the speed ratings on tires in this car would not give the responsive and sporty ride that came with the V rated original tires.

Fair enough. If Grace10 does not want to compromise on responsiveness and sportiness, then selecting V-rated tires makes sense. On the other hand, if price and durability are key, then there are less expensive choices that are still good performers. To each his own.
  • 06mazda3s06mazda3s Member Posts: 7
    You could also get a minivan, they have very durable and inexpensive tires compared to the Mazda 3 hatchback as well. Maybe put on some lawn mower wheels too.
    06mazda3s said: You could also get a minivan, they have very durable and inexpensive tires compared to the Mazda 3 hatchback as well. Maybe put on some lawn mower wheels too.

No thanks, I'll stick with my Protege5 and its 205/50/16 V-rated tires. :)
  • 06mazda3s06mazda3s Member Posts: 7
    Exactly! You have V-rated tires, you just want to have something to argue about and try to flex. You should not have even posted because you were lacking in your argument.
    It was clear to me from what Grace10 said that her needs were different than mine. As much as I like my V-rated tires they would likely not satisfy her requirements for price and durability. To each his own.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I was told to get them off because of snow and rain.
    Well, it snowed and after a 360 turn I put Dunlops on as Tire Rack suggested and I love them SO FAR WITH 3400 MILES ON THEM.
    Although, I'm averaging 28.5 mpg. The Goodyears are good on dry pavement and that's about it :shades: and you get1.5 miles better per gallon.
    A very bad decision by Mazda to put them on as original tires. They did it for better fuel economy.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    For fuel economy? Hmmm, I replaced my RS-As after 714 miles (with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires), and my fuel economy didn't change one bit (even though I'm driving a bit harder on the Michelins).

Which Dunlops did you use? If they were winter tires, that may well be the reason why your fuel economy has suffered.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    It's really funny. I see people spending all kinds of money on their cars for frivilous stuff but they hate spending money on tires. Tires are the best investment you can make for your vehicle. They will make the most immediate performance improvement of any modification on any vehicle. If you can afford it, get max performance summer tires and a separate set of winters. I roll in my Speed 3 on Potenza RE050As and Blizzak LM-22s. Leave 'em in the dust (or rain or snow) all year long.
    I bought Dunlop Sport Signature tire rack on their website rates them #1 for Mazda 3. I have an Acura Type S that has Michelin 205 55 66 VR rated . However, I store it winters.
    The Mazda believe it or not get worse milage than my 6 spd.
    Also, the velcroe floor mats to hide the felt carpet is a sneaker,,cigarette lighter and ashtray and not to mention all that plastic under the hood floored me too.I went to a Subaru dealer and got a black 12 volt I pod or phone plug to replace the smoking cigarette lighter. Anything to keep it light and inexpensive. Listen to this, I bought it May,29,08 it's an 08 I New Value. I put a clear Mask on it and went to my wifes BMW dealer and got a shark fin to hide the antennae.
    Well, no one told me that you change oil every 5k so in Aug I had it 3 months so I changed the oil. On Dec. 4,08 dealer calls me and says you have own u r car for 6 months u need a syntetic oil change and tire rotation. I brought it in and with only 3400 miles they rotated tires,changed oil and did not put grease on battery terminals . I put a note on dash.to do it plus they checked the battery off as being green for good.
    Well, the battery cover clip broke as I was checking the car out and I checked battery out,but no grease. Then the battery clip being broke and becauseI broke it Mazda wants to charge me $98.00 for a bottom battery box so the cover will be abled to stay on and that's not installed. Mazda warranty people said you did it, you pay. I put Super Glue on the clip as it hooks to battery lowerbox and snaps on cover ,but I greased the terminals before. I then called the dealer and he wants me to bring it in after all the work they did on it wasn't necessay.
    However, if I can save $98.00 and get the wife off my case for buying a cheap car"and you get what you pay for" I'll be there to morrow.
    Lastly, that 5000 mile check cost me $68.00 and the oil didn't need to be changed,or tires rotated. :sick:
    no one told me that you change oil every 5k
    Check your owners manual for the recommended service period.

did not put grease on battery terminals . I put a note on dash.to do it plus they checked the battery off as being green for good.
    Greasing the battery posts sounds like a good idea; I suppose the dealership did not think it was required considering your car's battery was a little over 6 months old and appeared in good ("green" code) condition. Call the dealership to let them know that you were not fully satisfied with the service and see what happens. Most dealerships can't afford to lose customers.
  • cogneurocogneuro Member Posts: 5
    Wisconsin driver. 2008 Mazda3 sport. Need winter tires compatible with tire pressure system. Came with 17" wheels. Is there a good 17" snow tire that is compatible with tire pressure system and will fit?
    All tires are compatible with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Period, full stop, the end.

As for winter capable tires that will fit your rims, yes, there are quite a few. Basically you have two choices (beyond the crappy Goodyear Eagle RS-As that I suspect came on your car):

- All-Season tires with good winter performance in the 205/50 R17 size:
    - - BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
    - - Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid
    - - Continental ContiProContact
    - - Dunlop SP Sport Signature
    - - Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
    - - Kumho Ecsta ASX
    - - Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
    - - Kumho Solus KH16
    - - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
    - - Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    - - Yokohama ADVAN S.4.

- Winter tires in the 205/50 R17 size:
    - - Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
    - - Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
    - - Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport

I live in New Hampshire where it is both very hilly and sees lots of snow every winter (we're well on our way to our 4th 100+ inch year in the last seven seasons), and yet I opted for All-Season tires instead of dedicated winter tires. Why? Well, it is a given that I will give up some traction on days like today (forecast is for 7" of snow and sleet followed by icing), however, modern All-Season tires are pretty darn good in the snow. The flip side of course is that when the roads are cleared, the All-Season tires will handily outperform the winter tires, and since well over 90% of the roads I drive on are either dry or simply wet, that's pretty important to me.

FWIW, I yanked the nasty Eagle RS-As off of my new Mazda3 after only 700 miles and replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss, and the difference is like night and day. So far, we've already had some 50" of snow since I got the new tires on, and in spite of the two 9% grades (one of which is from a standing stop) that I need to climb between my home and my office; the Michelins haven't missed a beat.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Have you tried high performance winters? I run Blizzak LM-22s on my MS3 and they are good in snow and on ice, exceptional in the cold rain and surprisingly close to my summer tires on cold, dry roads. Highly recommended.
    The differentiation between high performance winter tires in general and good high-performance all-season tires is very narrow, at least during the winter. That said, the all-seasons will run very well in the summer months, and that in turn will allow me to run one set of tires for all four seasons. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I took my RSA Eagles off My Mazda 3 and told the Mazda representative after he e_mailed me on my new Mazda3.
    He wanted suggestions on it could be improved. I was very honest with him and told him the OEM tires on the car RSA Eagles were very dangerous in the winter. I live in snow country. I put on Dunlop Sport Signatures a more meaty tire with some grip.
    However, my mileage has gone down,but only 2 mpg. I have to be at the mtn for ski school line up @ 8:00am.I only put 167mi on original tires ,because they can't handle wet roads either.They are in a plastic bag over my garage.
    Well,I told the rep about the carpeting being felt@ nor a cut pile and the cheap plastic and styrofoam in engine compartment also.They hid the carpet with the floor mats.I told him ,I didn't under stand why it came with a cigarette lighter and an ashtray.I got a black 12 volt plug at a Subaru dealer looks nicer than the dumb lit cigarette.(I understand they try to make the car lighter for better MPG and Zoom zoom)
    Ya, why did I buy it ?It handled better than a Civic,and Toyota. Also, the zoom zoom. I went to my wife's BMW dealer and replaced my antenna with a shark fin. It looks sharp. I also put a clear mask on it.
    Mazda was very appreciative for my commentsand sent me a gift card.The battery cover
    plastic clamp broke and they replaced the whole unit tray and all. Plastic and cold weather do not mix.The battery tray was $98.00 and add a hour labor.
    I have a six speed Type S that I love and it gets better milage than the the Mazda 3 .However you can"t compare a Mazda to an Acura.
    The 2010 Mazda line looks interestng a 3.7 liter looks very tempting.
    Well good luck on getting your tires. I really like the Dunlops and have had no prob. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The flip side of course is that when the roads are cleared, the All-Season tires will handily outperform the winter tires, and since well over 90% of the roads I drive on are either dry or simply wet, that's pretty important to me.

That's my philosophy as well. I put Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires on both my wife's X3 as well as my MS3. They are very good tires. One of the several things that tick me off about the MS3 is the uncommon OEM tire size (215-45/18). No R compounds are available and sticky summer tires are few and far between. I really wanted to try the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec because I've heard it is a terrific street/track tire. To use it I'd have to go Minus One to 17" wheels/tires, praying all the while that they wouldn't rub. I'm about ready to sell the thing outright.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

All tires are compatible with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Period, full stop, the end.

Funny, I ordered snow tires from the dealer but when they arrived service dept says they realized they would not work with the TPMS and would have to re-order. I'm now going elsewhere for the tires.
    Shipo, when you bought the tires, did you have to buy anything extra to get the TPMS to work? I see the tires on TR; do I need to order anything other than the tires themselves (assuming they fit the current wheel size)?

thanks for the expert advice!
    Nope, the TPMS sensors are attached to the wheels and don't intefere with the tires at all. Just get on the TireRack web site, pick the tires that you want and order away. Figure between $80 and $120 for mounting and balancing at your local tire shop or dealership (my dealership charged me $89,95 for the job).

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I bought Dunlop Sport Signatures as most people on Tirerack gave them good marks. Maybe the cold weather is hurting milage.
    All the tires will work with the TMPS . I alway have had Michelin's MX
    VR's and presently on Type S Pilots.
    What's so hard on getting a pair of winter tires for a Mazda 3? If you are that afraid of snow, then get your tires studded. We can have studded tires here from Nov. 15th until April first.
    Last week we got 18'' two days back 12" and to-morrow 4'' 8". When I teach skiing out west kids rent tire chains to drive the switch backs. The base lodge is at 10K above sea level. :confuse:
  • mazdatechmazdatech Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 07 mazda 3, and yes it does wear the rear tires due to extreme camber and toe in on the rear, but there is are reasons for this. The factory toyo tires are a 300 tread wear tire (very soft and made to grip) but do not last very long, and the "block" tread pattern does not help matters any on a front wheel drive vehicle. There are higher treadwear tires that last much longer and do not cup out as easily but you do sacrifice dry weather grip. The camber "tire leaning in on the top" is for cornering and for cross wind stability "big truck passing by". The camber does not cause as much wear on the inside of the rear tires as the toe. If you have a factory mazda 3 the only adjustment on the rear axle is toe. There are aftermarket control arms to address the negative camber but if you like the way the car handles I would not recommend doing that especially if you live in the mountains. The alignment specs from the dealership you took it to are probably correct and the car is working as designed...for cornering.
  • ecoganecogan Member Posts: 26
    Anyone experiencing problems with TPS? I just got a brand new '09 3, GT, HB, and on the first day (a Saturday) that I drove it, the TPS light came on, and two trips to the dealer have led me nowhere - as they believe it is a "temperature thing." I am taking it back again tomorrow. (Not the best way to get started with Mazda and/or dealer, who told me they could not give me a loaner, because the service department was closed and Sales did not have access (yeah, right) to loaner keys. Also, the same THREE salesmen that were my "best friends" when during the sales process, were suddenly hit with amnesia when I returned twice with the TPS problem.) :mad:

Any feedback about the TPS in general would be appreciated. Thanks
    thanks to everyone for all the informative comments in response to my post. You folks know more about tires than I do.

The RSA whatevers that come with the Mazda3 s are not safe to drive in winter. They should come with a big label that says: not suitable for winter driving. Of course the dealer will not tell you that.

I replaced mine with Michelin Exalto all season tires and the driving experience is so much better. And safer.
    It's a temperature thing. All summer no problems. The last 2 weeks the TPMS went on twice and stayed on after tires were warmed up.
    The problem was the temp has been _8 degrees for 3 days so right rear tire had to be brought up to 32lbs. Last night the temp went down again and the TPMS went on again.
    _3degrees. If i leave the car in the garage the TPMS never goes on,whatever it falls to.
    I'm going to pull it. If they are going to have that whistle at least they could indicate which tire. I froze my butt off. :sick:
  • scoobettescoobette Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Mazda3 4 door that is leased. The lease matures in July and the tires that are on it need to be replaced. I don't want to put new tires on it because of the cost (and I won't be driving it anymore) so I'm looking to buy some used ones that will pass the "test" to be turned back into the dealer. Live in South Central TN so shipping is a concern as well. Thanks.
    Go to a junkyard(autoparts store) see if they have some tires . Go to Tirewarehouse. Ask for the cheapest tire they have.
    I didn't know you were responsible for tires on a lease check that out on some of the forums on here. I have a set of RSA Eagles with 120 miles on them 9 months old stored over my garage because they are unsafe at any speed. :shades:
  • scoobettescoobette Member Posts: 2
    My husband just found some Sumitomo tires for around $250. or so for 4 online (TireRack.com) which is really cheap considering the cheapest we've found in our area has been $140. per tire.
    Yes, when you lease and turn the vehicle in there is a requirement on how much tread has to be on the tires. I only have 40K miles on the car and the tires they put on are already bald. Piece of crap, really sorry I got this car...should have kept my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    Will check Tirewarehouse before ordering though, thanks.
    Yup! $250.00 is a good deal. I put Dunlop Sport Signatures from TireRack.com on my car as they recommended them.
    Mazda cars due to the toe and camber are terrible on tires.I only have 4700 miles on my car, but I'm selling it for another make.
    Good Luck :shades:
    FWIW, I got 25,000 miles out of the Bridgestone RE 050A OEM rubber fitted to my Mazdaspeed 3- and that number includes three track days.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• everwintereverwinter Member Posts: 2
    I have some 205/50-16 summer tires & I'm thinking of trading my car in for a hatchback sport. I see on tirerack the recommended size for the hatchback is 205/50-17, so will a 16" tire fit on the standard 17" wheel?
    Thanks
    Nope, not a chance.
  • everwintereverwinter Member Posts: 2
    Shoot, I'll have to look at other cars or wait & wear the tires out.
    I have a brand new set over my garage RSA Eagles. I took them off because they are only good for dry pavement. I bet there are alot of people that have them on here.
    I'm keeping them because I'm dumping the Mazda. I'm waiing for a few more 2010 models to get here and the fact I only have 4700 miles on the car.
    Hey, check Mazda out I think they switched to another OEM tire.OOOppps no your tires won't fit. :shades:
    Well, a Mazda Speed is a fun ride and if you got 25K out of them you must have been smiling alot. :shades:
    I took the Eagle RS-As off my Mazda3 after only 714 miles and managed to get a decent price for them from someone who lives in the south and didn't really care about their lousy winter traction. In their place I mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss, which have performed exquisitely and still look brand new after 10,000 miles.

When the Michelins wear out (I'm projecting at I'll get at least 40,000 miles out of them), I'm going to be hard pressed to justify replacing them with anything else as they're just too good on my car.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I switched to the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-seasons; they are pretty good street tires. If I continue to track the car I'm going with a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on some lightweight wheels.

Can't find them on Tire Rack. I found some locally,but they said TPMS will work. What do you think.
    The cheapest alloys were $115.00 each,and then $45.00 shipping., 4 steel rims $380.00.W/o hubcaps
    Ya, I know get the alloys, but I'm hopin' to get rid of Mazda.It cost me $160.00 @ Sullivan Tire (Shipo) to take off RSA Eagles and put the Dunlops on. Thats alot of Guiness money.So, if I don't sell,I have to get wheels. :confuse:
    I poked around on TireRack a bit and like you, I was unable to find any 17" wheels for a Mazda3 (although I did find 16" steelies for $55 per wheel). Given that this is the time of year when winter tire packages at TireRack are slim pickin's, it's hard to tell if they simply don't carry a 17" wheel, or whether they're just sold out for the season.

As for the what Sullivan Tire charged you to swap rubber, OUCH! I had mine done at my dealership a week after I bought the car and they only charged me $96.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • orca3orca3 Member Posts: 11
    $160.00 is alot(price gouging) - Tulley VW Mazda charged me $80.00 to take
    my Michelin xice's off and put the Bridgestone summer tires on(including
    balancing) and I get a $25.00 gift card from Mazda for a promotion they have
    going on non warranty service done before 03/31/09. Was this the Sullivan
    Tires in New Hampshire?
    No, Sullivan Tire Scarborough, ME. I'm never going back.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Pretty soon, I'll be needing to replace my stock Toyto Proxes. They ride hard and suck in all conditions, then again, my Mazda3 doesn't like rain or snow either...but that's another thread ;)

I'm thinking of picking up a set of 4 Michelin - Pilot® Exalto® A/S at Costco. I was thinking of the Nokian WRG2's because they have better rain and snow handling ability then the typical all season tire, but they're also considerably more expensive.

I don't drive hard or very fast, so a good tire that does well in rain and maybe snow. Any thoughts?
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    Check the reviews on the General Altimax HP's. I researched them on Tirerack.com and have decided to go with them to replace my OEM Goodyear's on my Maz 3. The price is right too.
    She has a Subaru GT and one tire was wearing due topoor alightment.Instad of replacing all four.She found the exact tire and withe same tread pattern and depth. Now she is worried if she did the right thing? :confuse:
  • ew1ew1 Member Posts: 3
    I drive mostly highway, city , suburbs. I need an all weather tire that corners well. I only put on about 10-12000 mpy. Yokohama avid t4 ? Local Tires plus has it. Other suggestions? Hate Bridgstonw, there is a Goodyear place up the street from me. THX
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Type make , year and model and they will bring up 8 or so tires and reviews for your car. Shipo in NH put Michelin Pilots on his a while ago and swears by them. I took the RSA Goodyears OEMs's off my car the day I bought it.Now I have Dunlop sport Sigs on it. Alot of snow here.Read only the reviews where someone has put some miles on the tires . :shades:
    Speaking of miles, hmmm, let's see, I bought the Mazda3 on 17-Nov-2008 and here we are 4.5 months later and I'll be flipping over 11,000 miles on the way home tonight (all but the first 714 have been driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires). The good news is that my tires still look new and I'm thinking that I'll get an easy forty to fifty thousand miles out of them. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Well, I think I'm going to hang on to the MS3 and equip it for more serious track work- Enkei RS-M wheels, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec rubber, Hawk HP+ front pads, and my Mazdaspeed CAI. If I can get 20K out of the Dunlops I'll be happy.

Sounds like a plan. :) So, does that mean that every time you swap the rubber you're also going to be swapping bushings as well? :P

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ew1ew1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I did that and came up with your Dunlops, Yokohama and a few others. Although there is a wonderful helpful Goodyear place right across the street from me, I don't want them.Michelins are a bit $$$ for me.
    I only have 23000 + miles on this buggy so I am looking for tires that will last me a while :)
    So, does that mean that every time you swap the rubber you're also going to be swapping bushings as well? :P

I hope not! In any event, the PZero Nero M+S is a decent tire for all-season use, I ought to be able to go 2-3 years without replacing them since I'll only be running them from November through March. The Dunlops are supposed to be a streetable track tire, and everything that I've read has been very positive. We'll see...