Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• harry_spiderharry_spider Member Posts: 2
    >>There is nothing wrong with the Mazda3. The car does not magically
    >>make tires wear out faster.

Your arrogant statement here is contradicted by a fact which has nothing to do with magic: the rear camber on this car is purposely set to wear out the tires on the inside edge.

Having recently spoken with 2 dealers, a service manager, and a regional service manager, I conclude that Mazda does this on purpose. One service person said quote "well, that's just the price you pay to get that ZOOM-ZOOM, you know?"

The outside edges of my tires appear to have maybe 20 or 30k more life left in them, they look new... but the inside edges have NO tread left. And this is after the dealer charged me to align it, and told me that the VISIBLE negative camber is within specs. Tell me again how this car has nothing wrong with it? nothing "magical" that would consume tires prematurely? IT'S RIGHT THERE, YOU CAN SEE IT.

Oh it's my fault? Please explain how my driving wears out the tires only on the inside edge. I'm a 40-something with a kid, I race no one.

Rotate the tires? sure, if you want ALL FOUR to be worn on the inside and need replacement at what should be HALF of their life.

>>Every vehicle on the road does go out of alignment from time to time.
    >> That's the nature of automobiles.

Sure it is, but some cars are designed with negative camber to increase handling; this wears out tires on the inside edge, and requires the owner to buy lots of tires. Several models of BMW, and a couple Lexus models are built this way, according to my friend the service manager.

Funny you didn't mention that... spoken like a guy who sells tires... "it's your fault... cars do that... just get over it and buy more tires..."

So at your shop, when you charge people to "align" their wheels, do you mention to them when their car cannot actually be "aligned" in cases like the Mazda3? That camber angle on the rear of the Mazda3 is not adjustable, and that, even when it's within the factory spec, it's design will wear the rear tires unevenly? And: Do you think 40k is really great tire mileage on a car that weighs only 2800 lbs? I guess for you, more miles out of a set of tires is not actually desirable.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited December 2010
    "At this point, I think I should have gone with a CIVIC, or a Toyota Matrix. Would I be about even in price, by now, I wonder..."

Funny thing, if you read the message boards, late model (8th Gen I believe) Civics have the same problem with the shoulder of the tire wearing out early due to the rear camber settings.

FWIW, when I bought my Mazda3 I'd read a lot of tire related issues and opted to chuck the factory tires after only 700 miles. I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. At this point I have over 35,000 miles on the Michelins and the tires look easily good enough to last beyond the 50,000 mile mark.
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    FWIW I too read about rear tire wear before owning my 2004S. While the negative camber on mine was noticeable I did not experience abnormal tire wear with the original RSA's. I was not particularly vigilant about rotating the tires. Replaced them at 40K, with tread still above the wear bars, because I was looking for a quieter tire and had an opportunity to buy 4 used Michellin Pilot Sport A/S. These were equally noisy. The ones I ran on the rear are wearing evenly. Two of these on the front are approaching the wear bars and I will replace them with Continental Extreme Contacts in the spring.
  • anjy834uanjy834u Member Posts: 6
    mazda 3 2005 stands on alloy wheels of 17 by 6.5 inches and has P205/50R V all season tires. i would suggest you to use only these tires and wheels to avoid alignment issues
    Changing the tire size and/or the wheels will not affect the alignment in any way-shape-or-form.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 906
    edited December 2010
    "Changing the tire size and/or the wheels will not affect the alignment in any way-shape-or-form."

Not quite true, but really, really close. If we think of alignment to only include Camber, Caster, and Toe, then that is ture.

But if we include such items as akerman, scrub radius, and trail, then those ARE affected by changes in tire size - and sometimes those changes will have negative affects.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I have a 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door (which has the 17" wheel/tire package standard) and the OEM tires were Goodyear Eagle GTxxx (forget the letters after GT). They were worn out at 29k and I was stunned to learn that four new replacements (same exact model) would cost over $1000 installed!!! I chuckled and the guy could tell from the look on my face that he needed to come up with a cheaper, high quality alternative, which he did. He suggested a few different tires, including two Z-rated and one V-rated options for me to consider.

I chose the V-rated Dunlop SP Sport Signature. They were just under $150 per tire OTD. The lower speed rating translates into less road noise, improved ride quality, better wet weather traction without losing the razor-sharp handling capability! They just passed the 50k mark and still have at least another 5k left in them. I haven't experienced any abnormal tire wear on my car, thankfully. Another benefit of most V-rated tires is that they include a treadlife warranty (60k miles on my Dunlops). Very few, if any, Z-rated tires have a treadlife warranty because they are considered 'high performance'.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited January 2011
    A bit of a late reply; I think I mentioned this before, but I got over 25,000 miles out of the OEM Bridgestones on my MS3, and that included three track days at a local road course. I next went with Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons and they lasted over 28,000 miles. And as you know, I don't "baby" my cars... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 19010mazda319010mazda3 Member Posts: 1
    I got 22,000 miles out of original tires for a 2007 Mazda 3. After that many miles, despite traction control, the car would not go int the snow.
    Got Goodyear Eagle GT tires. 33,000 miles later on these 50,000 mile rated tires, the car won't go in the snow.
    I'm middle aged (47) and I had two Proteges before this 3. If this is the result of Mazdas now being "Zoom Zoom" cars, this will be my last.
    Sad: As the traction control did nothing to get me up a snow covered hill today, a Toyota Corolla passed me.
    Guess my next car will be a Subaru.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If superior traction in winter is a priority you can do a lot better than the Eagle GT! With the RIGHT tires you could have zoomed-zoomed past that Corolla.
  • hazelbagelhazelbagel Member Posts: 2
    If there is more than an inch of snow on my driveway, which has a small-medium incline, my car can not make it up the driveway. I have to get significant momentum to get up and into the garage using the factory installed tires. I can't count how many times I have made it only halfway up the driveway before spinning the tires, losing traction and the car skidding sideways down the driveway. Now I'm at 51,500 miles and I have to get new tires. I'm looking for suggestions for brands of tires that will help so that next winter (living in Chicago) I won't have to continue going through this.
    Hands down the tire that is getting the most amount of buzz for cars like yours is the new(ish) Continental ExtremeContact DWS model. They're long-lasting, have good traction and aren't too expensive.
    I run snow tires in the winter on steel 16"rims. I recently bought these continentals in 215/50R17 but have not run them yet. I would be interested in hearing and comparing your experience if you decide on them. I had been running Michelin Pilot AS sports in 205/50R17 which are supposed to be all season tires but, despite being a bit noisy they were not great in snow. Otherwise they are a great tire but expensive.
    Yeah, a bit noisy at certain speeds; no question there. :)

To be sure my Pilot Sport A/Ss have just seen their last winter, however, they still have more than enough tread depth to make it through to next November without needing to be changed out. By then the tires will have an easy 50,000 miles on them; not at all bad for a tire that is a "Performance" tire first and a long-lasting "All-Season" second.

I'll keep you posted.
    We have three vehicles and are running the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on two of them - highly recommended as a capable all season tire for most areas of the country.
  • mazdamarkmazdamark Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 mazda 3 hatchback sport. THere has been a consistent problem with tire wear and scalloping specifically. I have put on 40 000 miles this year. I have bought BLizzak tires ( at ~200 each ) on the car as the winters are cold and snowy where I live. So far, I have gone through 5 winters tire this season and 5 all season tires in this time.
    I thought that it was due to the amount of driving I do. HOwever, I have since discovered that Mazda 3 has an internal problem with cambering which leads to the tires getting scalloped. this cambering apparently is not a "design flaw" as the mazda people have told me that it was designed with this in order to take the corners better. HOwever, this EATS up your tires. They suggested that I buy from them, a $500 dollar sway bar kit that would correct " MY " problem.
    Has anyone else had this experience with the Mazda 3 eating up tires?
    When I went to look at the Mazda, I was upfront with them about how much mileage I will be putting on the car. I was told that the Mazda 3 was the perfect car for that amount of mileage and would serve my needs well. This was at a mazda dealership.
    t
    same thing happened with me. It took forever until they finally admitted that the mazda 3 was designed this way. no one told me a thing. I was told that the car was PERFECT for my driving and would never pose a problem. 10 tires later- still no one told me anything. it wasn't as if I didn't ask and point out the severe problems I was having.
    alignments every other gas change? and the car can' be aligned? wth? of course, they will sell me a 500 dollar kit to fix my problem.
    edited April 2011
    Were I in your shoes I'd be taking a hard look at the tires. I heard about the lousy OEM tires that come on Mazda3s right before I bought my car, and the day after I took delivery I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for it and had them installed after only 714 miles. I'm now knocking on the door of 50,000 miles and still have that same set of Michelins on the car; I figure they'll easily last through the summer and fall, and I'll replace them before the snow flies once again.

FWIW, tire scalloping seems to be nothing new for any number of cars set up with good handling characteristics; my BMWs were a prime example. With relatively soft winter tires and summer performance tires both of my cars experienced tire scalloping within 10,000 miles. That said, when I chucked the soft compound tires in favor of all-season rubber with a tread wear rating of 500 or better, the problem was solved. When I bought the Mazda I just "assumed" the problem would be similar to what I experienced with my BMWs, hence the installation of the Michelins on my brand-new car.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    It sounds from this forum that some tires seem better suited than others to the Mazda3. Maybe it would be useful, to list these for the benefit of others. Let's build a list identifying suitable (+), not suitable (-) and undetermined quality of tires for the Mazda3.

+ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    ? Continental Extreme Contact DWS
    ? Bridgestone Turanza 400 (2011 OEM)
    Good call. :)

On a dedicated Mazda forum a number of folks have installed the Continental ExtremeContactDWS tires on their Mazda3s and Mazda5s (same basic suspension, same basic tire issues) and while the jury is still out due to this being a relatively new tire, all reports so far are positive.

In my case, in spite of how well the relatively expensive Michelin's have performed, and in spite of the fact that I've never really been a fan of Continental tires, I'm tempted to give the DWSs a try.

At this point I'd give the Conti's a conditional "+". :)
    A couple of "not so much" votes:

The stock Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on many 17" wheeled versions of the Mazda3: A hard and fast minus (can we rank them really bad, kinda-sorta like "---"?)

While I have no personal experience with them, every report I've read about the Toyo Proxi (sp?) tires seem to be pretty negative as well: Another minus.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    My inner tread blocks also wore more quickly due to the negative camber. One shop recommended, if they are not directional tires, to simply have them taken off the wheels and mounted "backwards", so that the inside moves to the outside. Too much trouble to do that regularly, but I may give it a try if I notice the same uneven wear when I've got 15-20K on the current tires.
    FWIW While the negative camber on my 2004 hatch is apparent I have not experienced unusual or uneven wear or cupping with the original RSA's(replaced at 35k) or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's I am currently running at 58K. Both brands became somewhat slippery in the wet, under acceleration, as they wore down but not to the point of feeling dangerous. I plan to replace two of the Pilots with the Conti's in 10K or so. I test drove the 2010 redesign and found little to encourage me to trade up. At this point I envision driving the 04 for quite a while.
    The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my Mazda3 are a directional tire that cannot be rotated in the classic sense. I simply swap fronts and rears on each side every fifteen-thousand miles. Were it not for the fact that we get pretty significant winters up here in New Hampshire, I suspect these tires would go an easy sixty-thousand miles before needing replacement.
  • phenom474phenom474 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried moving down a size of tire to prevent these wear issues? I have a 2008 with 41K and need to buy the car a 3rd new set of tires. I live in the northeast, and the potholes and premature wear are killing the 17"s I have on it--I was thinking about going to a taller 16", lose a little handling, but hopefully get more life out of them.
    edited April 2011
    I too live in New England and when I bought my 2009 I was a little annoyed by the fact that the Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition came with 17" wheels while the more expensive Mazda3 s Sport had 16" wheels. I wanted (and bought) the "i" and decided that if the 17s became a problem I'd worry about downsizing later. The good news is that after nearly 50,000 miles I haven't had any issues (other than replacing the junk OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires after only a week).

At this point I don't forsee any change in wheel/tire size at any time in the future.
  • tjmazda3tjmazda3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, been reading the forum and appreciate the discussions. I've got a 2004 Mazda 3i 2.0 sedan and am looking for some new tires. I run separate snows in the winter since it can get pretty nasty where I live in Southern Maine. Tire size I'm looking at is 205 55 16 and am focusing on overall value/wear, and wet weather performance/safety. Not so concerned about snow performance since I use separate tires in the winter. From the discussions here and consumer reports (prices are local quotes I could find), I'm focusing on:

- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($164)
    - Michelin HydroEdge ($141)
    - Continental ProContract ECOPLUS ($131)
    - Continental Extreme contact ($124)
    - Hankook Optimo H727 ($117)

Realistically, I'm focusing on the last three due to price (might consider one of the Michelin's if there's a compelling reason to). I've noticed that with the Mazda 3's lighter weight, wet/safety is the biggest priority, but I'd like them to last.

Consumer Reports seemed to favor the Mich. HydroEdge, Cont. ProContact, and the Hankook Optimo H727 for wet conditions. I'm no expert so appreciate any shared experience/advice. Thanks in advance!
    edited April 2011
    Tire size I'm looking at is 205 55 16 and am focusing on overall value/wear, and wet weather performance/safety.

Is there a speed rating that you're considering? For example, would a "H" rated tire be adequate, or would you want more performance with a "V" or "W" or "Z" rated tire?

Have you checked Tire Rack? It seems to me to be the best site for tire reviews. For example, you can enter your specs and see the results or you can select the Survey Results tab and then Standard Touring All Season to find a chart listing recommendations by hundreds/thousands of users.

Tip: Buying a set of tires can save you money as many brands offer discounts for a set.
    Here's the latest version of the list identifying suitable (+), not suitable (-) and undetermined quality of tires for the Mazda3. If you have information about other tires for the Mazda3 feel free to add to this list.

+ Continental Extreme Contact DWS ("conditional" rating)
    - Goodyear Eagle RS (OEM on earlier Mazda3)
    - Toyo Proxi "every report I've read ... seem(s) to be pretty negative"
    automomous, may I ask where you found this list? Interested to find out what made the rating for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS "conditional" as I run these tires (in the Spring, Summer and Fall) and have been extremely happy with them.
    If you check back a dozen or two posts you'll see that the "list" is kind of a project/work-in-progress of this thread. The reason the Continentals are generally well thought of but not a hard-and-fast recommendation is that given their relative newness to the market, there have yet to be any reports that the "collective" here has seen as to how well they perform as they age.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss on the other hand are a well known entity and have been around long enough to have any number of Mazda3 drivers put in excess of 50,000 miles on a single set with no complaints. Hence their top ranking.
    Shipo, thanks for the explanation of the conditional rating. I don't have enough miles on the Continental's to say how they wear, but as I mentioned above I am extremely please with them so far in all respects. Although I do not run them in winter here in Minnesota, choosing instead to go with a dedicated winter, they did outperform four other similar tires in this test, in the snow:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124
    I just took a look at the Michelins on my Mazda3 today and contrary to my previous (apparently over-optimistic) statements, 45,000 miles looks to be about their limit. I may have a new set of Continentals on it in the next month or two. :)
  • 59scott59scott Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 3s, which came with the 17s. I have about 32K miles on the original tires and no problems, but I put 205/60x16" winter tires on, which really helped my winter traction. I am in Massachusetts. The ride was a little softer, which was not such a bad thing and handling was softened as well but not bad. I think 16" all seasons would handle better than the winter tires, and be more resilient.
    I will try those mIchelin Pilot Sport A/S.

There is a difference in tire wear for those who do the majority of their driving as opposed to those who do city driving. Long distance driving seems to wear out the tires far faster than city driving. I have been told by Mazda dealers at one city that the Mazda 3 is only good for city driving, short distance.
    It would help us all if ppl posting would tell us the sort of driving they do.
    I do long distance driving and my tires wear out due to scalloping at about 12 000 miles.
    I put over 17,500 miles on my car in the first four and a half months; no issues at all with lots of highway driving (on Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss).
    may I ask where you found this list?
    The list is whatever we want it to be. I'm gathering opinions to hear what other Mazda3 drivers have experienced. I've added yours!

+ Continental Extreme Contact DWS (some say "conditional"; some say "extremely happy with them")
    - Goodyear Eagle RS (OEM on earlier Mazda3)
    - Toyo Proxi "every report I've read ... seem(s) to be pretty negative"
    I would guess the mileage on my 2004 Sport is about 50/50 highway and suburban driving and I have noticed no inordinate wear on the inner part of the tread or scalloping on either the original RSA's or the Michelin Pilot AS Sports in 60K. The car is not used every day hence the low mileage.
  • mrgreymrgrey Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with 30,500 miles and Turanza EL400 tires. The tires are currently at 4/32 - thus almost done. Probably will last another 5,000 miles. I don't really know whether 35,000 is considered "good" or not for tire longevity. I would have thought tires to last more like 50k, personally.

I live in DC, and thus the traffic is very difficult. Lots of stop and go, but also some highway. DC is not your average traffic city - it's 2nd worst in the US after LA. So there is probably more wear than you might otherwise have, and this should be taken into consideration when compiling statistics.
    Interesting comments, especially about driving in DC. A few questions for you (and anyone else that is commenting on their tires).

What would you say is your proportion of city vs highway driving?
    Based on your post it sounds like city driving may be predominant.

How would you describe your normal driving style?
    For example: relaxed, aggressive, average?

Do your tires show any special wear patterns/characteristics?
    For the first eighteen-thousand miles, my Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss were run almost exclusively on the highway at speeds between seventy and eighty. After I got laid off from that job I started taking a commuter bus into the "City" which meant a three mile shot up our winding and hilly local two-laner, a four mile eighty mph blast down the freeway to the next exit, and then an easy roll into the parking lot.

Now with mileage in the low to mid forty-thousand mile range, all for tires are so evenly worn from shoulder to shoulder it's difficult to identify any one tire or any one spot on one tire that is more worn than the rest. All this with only the occasional fifteen-thousand mile "front-to-rear" rotation.
  • mrgreymrgrey Member Posts: 7
    I drive mostly city, but the Mazda is my wife's car and she drives 50 /50 highway city. Though the highway can stop at times in DC.

I'm personally very aggressive, having learned to drive in NY. I think my wife also is aggressive - you really have to be in DC.

I have not noticed any unusual or uneven wear, but I'd say this is more of an alignment factor than a driving style factor.
    Our 2007 Mazda 3 has been driven almost entirely by our 20 year-old daughter, ever since she got her license the day after she turned 16. :surprise: In terms of miles driven, I would guess overall it's seen about 70% highway, 20% suburban (35-45-ish) and 10% city (30 and under, w/stop and go). With the odometer at just under 50,000 miles we are just on to our second set of tires, but I have put winter tires on the vehicle each season, from about Dec. 1 to March 15. As far as our daughter's driving style goes, we can only hope it's not TOO aggressive! ;)And she better not be driving and texting at the same time, like we constantly warn her about!!! :mad:
    Much of the driving done in my mazda 3 has been highway.
    The issue is not one of alignment: the design of the vehicle itself has the wheels at a negative camber. The wheels are set up just off perpendicular- with the lower half of the tire being further away from the car than the upper part of the time. so it slants out a bit- sort of like those home made go-carts I used to make....

Mazda says that this is to give better traction on the road when taking corners. HOwever, Mazda admits that this negative camber definitely leads to uneven wear relative to the inner and outer edges of the tires. They DO wear out faster. Mazda dealers have admitted to this. I have been told by the Mazda people that the Mazda 3 was designed to be a local commuter car- not good for long distance driving. They will sell you an aftermarket stabilizer bar at 600 bucks to counter the effects of the negative camber. They insist that you change and rotate/or the tires at every 12- 18 000 miles.

The best tires for the mazda 3 for highway driving seems to be those michelon pilot Sport A/S.
    Now with mileage in the low to mid forty-thousand mile range, all for tires are so evenly worn from shoulder to shoulder it's difficult to identify any one tire or any one spot on one tire that is more worn than the rest. All this with only the occasional fifteen-thousand mile "front-to-rear" rotation.

Your Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires served you well.
    edited May 2011
    I'm personally very aggressive, having learned to drive in NY. I think my wife also is aggressive - you really have to be in DC. I have not noticed any unusual or uneven wear, but I'd say this is more of an alignment factor than a driving style factor.

Agreed, alignment is a big factor in unusual tire wear. However, I believe a driving style that is not smooth (example, jack rabbit starts, frequent emergency stopping, abrupt turning) eventually shows up in tire wear. I suspect many of us Mazda drivers see "aggressive driving" as "fun driving". ;)
    edited May 2011
    And she better not be driving and texting at the same time, like we constantly warn her about!!!
    Thank you from the rest of us on the road!

Our 2007 Mazda 3 ... seen about 70% highway, 20% suburban (35-45-ish) and 10% city (30 and under, w/stop and go) ... odometer at just under 50,000 miles ... on to our second set of tires, but I have put winter tires on the vehicle each season, from about Dec. 1 to March 15.
    So, with winter tires for 4 years, would you calculate that the original summer tires have had over or under 40K of usage?
    "So, with winter tires for 4 years, would you calculate that the original summer tires have had over or under 40K of usage?" (automomous)

With the changeover each fall and spring I really didn't keep track, but if I had to guess I would say the original Goodyears didn't quite make 30,000. I happened to have those same tires on a previous vehicle that I owned (an Infiniti FX45) and I would guess they only lasted around 30,000 miles on that one also.
    original Goodyears didn't quite make 30,000
    Seems like the OEM Goodyears are not stellar from a point of durability.
    Especially so when you consider that many Mazda3s shod with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires don't even go 20,000 miles on the original set. :P