Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Climate Control Questions

halralphhalralph Member Posts: 2
My daughter just purchased a 91 Corolla, if you don't shut the A/C off prior to shutting off the engine the battery will discharge while parked. What device is causing this to happen?

Comments

• roylee007roylee007 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 1988 Corolla. The ac compressor does not kick in. There is refrigerant in the system. The fuse panel says the ac circut breaker is behind the assist kick panel.
    Does any one know where this is?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Can you indicate whether the radiator fans are running, the inside cabin heater/airconditioning fan is running, or nothing that you can see/hear.
    I don't know for sure, as not familiar with that year Corolla. But I'd guess a kick panel might be down on the side where your left foot would rest.
  • halralphhalralph Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately the car is on the Island of Grenada and the driver, my daughter is home for the summer from school. The only thing I know is that she was told to not leave the A/C switch in the "on" position when she shut the car off or the battery would discharge. I talked to a Toyota service writer friend and he said a Toyota Tech said it was probably the A/C compressor clutch. They had seen the same problem with 91 Corollas.
    There's three things that come to mind which can draw current and are associated with the A/C. The radiator fan's and the cabin fans would be the two most easily noticeable by her, the clutch (and it's relay) would be the third.

If she can rule out the first two by observing them when she turns the car off next time, then I'd be looking to swap out the relay.
  • cindyocindyo Member Posts: 1
    I've had a problem with my fan/blower not working for my vent/a/c/heat. It will work fine and then not come on for a day and then all of the sudden it will kick on. It's been happening off and on for a year or so. The A/C works, I just had it replaced and I can hear it kick on and feel cool air, it's just the blower won't kick on. Any suggestions?
  • eveloceveloc Member Posts: 1
    My light on my my air conditioning button on the dash is blinking. I had the controller replaced but it continues. My mechanics seems to believe that the compressor is working. What else could be the problem? When you press the button, it cools for a few seconds then it starts blinking and the AC cuts off.
  • jtackersjtackers Member Posts: 3
    the A/C on our 2003 Corolla will turn itself on, even when the switch is in the off position. Not sure if its a relay or the clutch itself. Has anyone seen this problem?

Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It automatically comes on when you use defrost. See owner's manual.
    Doh!

Well don't I feel stupid. We'd never noticed it before (my wife's had the car for years, just paid it off). Must be the ridiculous humidity this year in Boston.

Thanks for the clue!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No problem! Most cars have this feature now, even my old '99 Corolla.
    Not on my '88 VW Vanagon... though I did just get the AC working again!
  • toyota_suckstoyota_sucks Member Posts: 2
    If you or someone you know has a Corolla that is having air conditioning problems in a 2005-2006 year car READ THIS. Toyota has a Technical Service Bulletin AC002-06 which implies that the A/C condenser is not protected. The cost to replace is $590 and will go out around 48k. If you look at the A/C condenser on these cars vs. 2007-2009 Toyota has added a plastic cover to cover the hole left in 2005-2006. Please call toyota if you are having problems at 1-800-331-4331 or e-mail at customerservice@toyota.com and go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and lodge a complaint to create a recall!!!! Go consumers!!!!
  • caliecalie Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm a Corolla 2005 owner in Sherbrooke,QC,Canada. I receive this week a diagostic of my condenser has a leak... that I cannot see and would have been done by a rock... I will face a 1000$ bill... my warranty ends at the end of june 2008 but it does'nt apply because of the hypothetic rock of the road... Please help me if you can... It seems that I can hope reading your message, thank you very much!

Claude
  • rmalen1rmalen1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 corolla has 100,500 miles on it and the a/c is acting up. The a/c blows cold for about 20 minutes and stops blowing cold. You can turn the a/c off for a few minutes and then turn it back on and the air blows cold again. A mechanic replaced the a/c relay but that didn't fix the problem. The freon level is with in specs. Any ideas what the problem is before I take it to the dealer?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If this rock or other piece of debris were ROLLING or MOVING at the time you hit it (ahem.....) you may very well be covered by your comprehensive insurance.
  • xrs05xrs05 Member Posts: 1
    The radiator and a/c died on my 05 Corolla XRS at about 83kms. The radiator replacement was done in Apr. because it was cracked (That looked like a defective part according to an industrial quality control tech who saw the radiator.) But alas the warranty had expired so I got the bill and they didn't spot the a/c failure in the service check either. So, yeah, I have sent Toyota an email about their product and filed a complaint as you suggested. Let's hope there are enough of us so they'll have to admit there is a problem!
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    The AC has been turning off now and then while running. What I mean by that is that the blowing air completely stops. I can the turn the A/C off for a bit and turn it on again and it works, at least for a while. But it will eventually stop blowing, period, even while on. Is this a compressor issue? Should I bother having it fixed? I think cars changed to a different refrigerant since '93 and I don't want to pay $500+ for this, but if it is a small thing I'd look at it. Advice is welcome. Thanks.
  • m12wonderm12wonder Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I bought my first new car last year. I'm not sure if it's because I expected more or if it's a real issue, but my AC doesn't seem to have much power. I've noticed a slight smell (not bad) coming thru the vents sometimes and when I have the AC on, it seems to fluctuate between cool (never cold) and lukewarm. I also feel like I have to have it on the 2nd setting to feel air moving. Anyone else experience similar AC issues?
  • bgvssbgvss Member Posts: 1
    i have 2004 corolla s with a/c problem.After driving for 20-30 min my a/c will intermittently stop blowing cold,it's still blows at same volume,but gradually get warmer.I went to toyota dealer to check the a/c.Everything check out fine except a a/c relay and they changed.This didn't fix my problem.Today I went back for second check and now they told me that my a/c expansion valve need to be replaced.
    Do somebody know where is location of this a/c expansion valve and why is so expensive to replace it ?Also do you think I have to take a second opinion?
    Thank you!
    Could be the expansion valve. This makes sense given your symptoms. Why is it expensive to fix? Well it isn't on all cars, but it could be in an inaccessible spot (often behind the glove box or buried under the dash) and you have to evacuate the entire AC system, dry it, replace the valve and refill. So the expense is mostly labor and refrigerant. The valve itself is probably well under $100 bucks. (just looked it up---it's $78 from the dealer but a whopping 6.4 hours of labor to replace it!!)

So what are they quoting you---something like $700--$800?
  • kentgtrkentgtr Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 Corolla (with 120,000 miles) and am having the exact same problem. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you found was wrong with yours, and what the solution was. Thanks
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    And your refrigerant is up to specs. too? That would be the first place to start.
  • t_kollmant_kollman Member Posts: 1
    2004 Toyota Corolla can't fully divert hot air to floor vents, some air still comes through the dash vents. As a result, my face roasts and my feet freeze in the winter. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks. :confuse:
  • mike1956mike1956 Member Posts: 1
    when I change the selector switch on dash from defrost to vent no matter which one it will not change at all, it always stays on the defrost vents, A/C works fine, nice and cold but I can't seem to be able to get the vents to change in order to get the air in my face or on my feet to cool the car, I'm not sure if the selector switch has a fuse or if one of my vent changing actuators went bad, anyone know the easiest way to check this out, thanks for all your help, have a great day.
    You might have the car scanned to see if any HVAC trouble codes come up.

The actuator motor for the blend door is located (I'm just squinting at a diagram here) way up under the glove box area--up toward the windshield.