Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL - Buy Now or Wait for 4th Generation?

new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
edited March 2014 in Acura
Hi Acura TLers,

How long has the "new" TL body style been out for? I am in the market of buying a new car since I've had my Acura Integra for 11 years now. I had a great experience with my Integra which is why I'm naturally inclined to buy another Acura this year. I love the TL but I'm fearful that Acura will be changing the body style soon. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    The 3GTL (third generation) was introduced in 03 as an 04 model. The 2007 is a mid-model change. The 4GTL will show up in 08 as an 09 model. The 4GTL is rumored to have SH-AWD and 300+ hp.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hmmm...that makes sense. I knew it was coming up soon. Do you if the changes are drastic? This sounds silly but I don't want to spend $38K on a 2007 TL only to have the body style change on me next year. This is a big financial decision for me. I'm excited but a little scared.
    IMHO, adding SH-AWD and 300+hp is drastic. Acura has released several concept designs and if that is an indication of where Acura is heading then the exterior will drastically change too. However, no official pics of the 4G TL have been released.

If you can wait- then wait ;) OR wait until the 4GTL comes out and Acura will be practically giving away the current model with incentives and financing offers.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    300+ hp! That's a lot of horses. I can barely 190 hp! :) That's good to know. I am itching to buy a 2007 car and I've narrowed it down to the BMW 328i (w/o nav) and the Acura TL (w/nav). Any opinions?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations on squeezing 11 years out of your Integra. We still own a 1995 Maxima w/ 155k miles that resides at our second home. It's a good feeling to know that you've gotten a good return on your investment rather than buying the latest and greatest every 2-3 years and suffering big depreciation hits.

If you like the current TL, I would not be too hesitant to go for it, regardless of whatever the 4th generation has in store for 2008/9 or beyond. From what an Acura rep tells me, the next TL is still 2+ years off. Rumors of a new MDX for 2005 and 2006 circulated in 2003 and 2004, but it wasn't until the 2007 model that it finally came out.

As for the 328i vs. TL, there are a lot of factors to consider. I am partial to the driving dynamics of BMW, but Honda/Acura has always served me well from a no-fuss maintenance and relaibility standpoint. If you intend to keep your next car 10+ years, or even 7-8+, the BMW will become more expensive to maintain after the 4 year included service runs out. But those are just a couple of a myriad of factors to consider.

Good luck.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Based on the info and comments from all the posters in this stream, one thing the original poster may want to consider is this, get an '06, enjoy it for 3-4 years and by then the "next generation" TL will have been out for 2 years with all the kinks worked out.

Unless you are focusing on the TL-S, I don't think there's a big diff between the '06 and the '07 regular TL, and I am sure there are deals to be had on remaining '06s.
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    The next gen TL will not be out till fall 2008. So its about a little less than 2 years off. Nobody knows what it will have or look like this early.

2008's will be the same as 2007's.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Depending on where you live, there are few (if any) 06 TLs left near Gotham. You may get a good deal if you find an 06, but the color/combo probably won't be popular, or the car is an early production that has been sitting in the dealer's lot for a while. The 07 TL (except the TL-S) is not different from the 06 mechanically speaking, just a few added features that some may find useful or necessary. Car manufacturers frequently change body styles of their cars (sometimes major) to attract customers. So, waiting around will not do you much good. If you like the style, buy the car and drive it for at least 7-8 years.
    One mechanical feature that I think is different IMHO is the new automatic transmission in the 07 TL's.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    What's new about the 07 Auto?

I know they claim it holds gears longer for spirited driving but that's a simple computer update... and to be honest, I didn't notice any difference from the 06.

Anything else about the 07 Auto that's new?
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Its a different transmission but I doubt anyone will notice a difference no faster or more HP or anything like that. maybe its easier to work on for mechancics who knows.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Good points kenny. Plus you may not even like the look of the next gen TL. I think the S type has 286 ponies, that's plenty hp. :P
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    I was facing the same dilemna, but decided to go ahead and but the type s in dec. I haven't been disapointed with the decision yet. I love driving it and everywhere I go people ask about the car. If I like the TL I'll trade in for it a year after it's been out. My Acura dealers pretty good at limiting depreciation losses for us loyal customers....so far anyway!!
    If I had to choose between a TL now, or waiting until late 08 for an 09, I'd buy now.

The odds of there being some first year bugs are high, considering the amount of changes and new technologies involved.

There are also too many unknown variables to make an educated decision right now.
    We don't even know what the price tag on the next model will be.
    It could be $10,000 more and that could take the car out of alot of people's budget.

Buy now, and then trade in for a 2010, once the first year bugs are worked out by the guinea pigs who just have to have the first year model. :P
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Good points Scott, I know the 2004's problems that my 2005 TL does not. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some posts have been moved to a new discussion. Here's the link: calidd, "Acura TL vs Lincoln MKZ" #2, 4 Mar 2007 11:44 am.
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    Honda motor company is very slow in bringing new models to market. It is only expected that there will be a 09 redo that will go on sale in late 08. It could very well be a 10 model instead. Honda is very tight mouthed about their new cars. So buy now and enjoy.
    Honda goes on a 5 year cycle for its models. The 3G TL was introduced in late 03 as an 04 model. The 4G TL WILL show up in late 08 as an 09 model.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "Honda goes on a 5 year cycle for its models."

Since when? I have no inside information on when the next TL will be introduced, but the MDX ran 6 model years (01-06) and the S2000 is on its 8th. There is NO certainty about when the next TL will come out - lots of people in the MDX forum stated with absolute certainty in 2004/5 that the 2006 would be a redesign. WRONG.

If I had to guess, a 2009 MY redesign would be a relatively minor one, but if they wait until 2010 (as I expect, given the 2007 introduction of the TL-S), we could see a RWD platform and/or other more major changes. But that's just my guess.
    According to my Acura Salesman, 09 is the year.
    He went to the most recent Acura convention and he said this has been stated.
    Confirmed, who knows for sure.

Either way, I'm not gonna be a first year guinea pig for this big of a change.
    If the car impresses me that much, I'll be in line for the 2010.

Man, just saying 2010 makes me feel old!
    Starting to feel like a character from "Logan's Run"
    ... time to renew :P
    scott,

Have you made a decision?
    Pulling the trigger in 2-3 weeks.
    Until then, nothing is definite, but if I was dropping cash on something this morning, it would be the 07 G35x w/ Prem/Nav/Tech/Wood packages.
    Slate Blue on Black.

I've had too many little complaints with my 06 MDX.
    The dealer is friendly, but 6 visits for the same problem is a little much. Nav losing power, Subwoofer and dash rattles, driver's seat movement, whistling windshield... $45,000 for what?!?!:sick:
    Other than little quirks, it's very nice.
    Owning a Honda for 7 years and 180,000 miles, I have to say they are amazing vehicles... they just dont stop.
    I know the TL is rock solid in reliability.
    With that being said, I've had TL loaners 5 times now. I have to say, I got bored with them.
    I hope TL owners dont take offense by that, it's just my opinion.

I drove the G35 and was stunned... I loved it.
    The TL, unfortunately, didn't give me that same feeling.

I hope Nissan/Infiniti reliability treats me as well as Honda/Acura has.

Countdown continues.
    IMHO, both cars offer tremendous amount of value for the price. You really can't go wrong with either. Have fun w/ the G and see you when the 4G TL comes out ;)
  • cyrus2cyrus2 Member Posts: 3
    ggesq, What is a 4 generation TL? I purchased a 1st Gen. G35 in 03 and must say it is the best car I've ever owned. Now have 50000 miles and have not had any issues at all. In the last two months I've been looking into a new G or TL. I'm really leaning TL(different car,price 31500) Hope I'm making the right move...
    It's just a fancy way of saying the next TL. ;)
    It should be out sometime in late 08 but Honda/Acura is keeping the lid on it tight.
    The current TL (3G) body style started in 2004 and was introduced in late 03. If you can wait, you can pick up a 3G TL with a smoking deal when the new one arrives.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    ".....or the car is an early production that has been sitting in the dealer's lot for a while. .."

Sorry if my question relates to an older post. I was just doig some reading on the TL. What do you mean by an early production? Why would it be sitting in the lot for long? Longer than any other ones, anythinfg wrong with them or else? Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I have nothing really to say about the next gen TL. Going to be interested. The people are being sworn to secrecy. Only info I have is a 304 hp v6 and a 6 speed auto transmission. SH-AWD and a Hard drive is likely.

Now for the TSX. Rumor has it that the RDX engine won't make it. Probably a small v6. No info on the Type-S. Should have a european/bmw look.

RL is going to be the biggest and most extensive MMC for acura/honda. 3.7L v6 and 6AT is likely. Expect a HDD to store music, enhanced SH-AWD, some more room and more.

Acura is looking into making Type-S into an AMG, M, or S brand etc. This means more than just the usual improvements. The people in Japan are very interested.

Acura wants to be better than the germans. They are now being run by Acura and not Honda. They are now do their own thing. New R&D and design labs should help them. A v8 and v10 are going to come. They are doing everything they can to make Acura destroy the europeans, japanese and even Caddy :D!

Hope this helps.
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I was at an Aucra dealer yesterday in Pittsburgh and they said to me and others I overheard that in April or so the new TSX is out and in the fall the new TL is out.
  • rajnirajni Member Posts: 4
    Hello Friends,

I'm planning on getting a new Acura TL, but I recently heard that Acura is introducing a re-design in Fall 2008 or so.. Therefore, is it advisable to wait or get the current model in the market.. Acura 2008, is the most matured and complete model of the 3rd generation, probably with very few bugs in it, whereas the Acura TL 2009 might have high number of new bugs due to new technologies and features built into it.. but again, it will be a new design.. in my opinion, it will be best to get the 2010 or 2011 model, but I can't wait that long and have to decide between 2008 or 2009.. any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Rajni Kamoze
  • maxmanmaxman Member Posts: 11
    Yes there will be a new TL for 2009. The TL development program is on a five-year cycle. Basic rule of thumb when a new Accord debuts a new TL will be introduced the following year. To further hammer this point in everything in the Acura line up is fresh RL 05, MDX 07, RDX 07, and TSX 04. The TL was also new on 04 it has been traditionally the rice in Acura’s meal so it will get priority over the TSX to help rejuvenate sagging sales. As for purchasing now this is the best time to get on board. Normally I would not have anything thing to do with Honda/Acura they are good cars but I am extremely brand loyal which is why I have owned 3 Nissan Maximas SE 5 & 6MTs and 2 Nissan Altima SE-R 6mts. However, I have turned the corner and only because I got the deal of a lifetime from a local dealer. After just wanting to take a peek at a 2007 TL Type- S 6mt in November of 07 I was sold and ordered a 2008 to keep deprecation in line as having a year old car with no equity is a bad thing. This car reminded me so much of my old 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6mt, a luxurious car at a fair price that can haul [non-permissible content removed] and make the owner of a V8 powered Mustang GT blush. The only other car that could come close for the price was the 2007 G35S 6mt and being redone for 2007 dealers were not even negotiating at least in my area, I am sure it would have been a different story in a place like LA or NYC. So I ordered the Acura on the spot. The deal was amazing the dealer sold it to me for $100 above invoice incl the dealer fee plus he gave me the whole manufactures dealer incentive on the car, which came to $2000. So I got a $39000 for about the price of a non- navigation base 08 TL $34000. There are rumors of Awd for the next generation, I don’t think that will happen as that will eat into the already poor sales of the RL and plus Acura always base there TL's on the front wheel drive only Honda Accord frames (except for the 96-98 versions). If all wheel drive is going to be avail on a non Acura SUV besides the RL, I think it will be the next TSX (2010). Since TSX will never get a V6 it will mostly share its drive train layout with the RDX, as 205hp nowadays is nothing, and Acura is not going to repeat the same mistake that Infiniti made with the old G20. So buy now get that order in as it takes about three months for your car to arrive and who knows by summer they may slap another 500 on top of the 2000 as that was the year end incentive on the 2007 TL models. For what I can see I think the next TL is going to pull what Nissan did to the 2004 Maxima it is going to grow in size and weight and lose some of the agility of the current generation. Hope this helps!
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    Corrrect, 2009 Acura TL will debut in Fall 2008.

If you are concerned about having the newer body style, then wait until Fall of this year. However, I know lots of people who are reluctant to purchase the very first year of the Full Model Change. They say the end of the cycle is the best time to purchase because all of the bugs have been worked out. If you are a believer of this, then the 2008 TL is the car for you.

I have an 2007 TL Type S and the car is a joy to drive. :)
    Thanks for your comments. I'm 95% sure that I will buy the 2008 TL model (as of now) but things might change, you never know!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Not to throw another monkey wrench into the works here but I had an '03 TLS and an '05 TL and the difference was night and day. Better looks, better engine, better technology. If you buy an '08, you might just find yourself jones'n for an '09 in the fall. ;)
  • jes95jes95 Member Posts: 1
    At a recent auto show, a sales person at the Acura booth said to me "if you're really interested in a new TL wait until April or May for the new model announce".

He wouldn't elaborate any further.

Anyone know what he meant?

thanks......
    o okay i dont know what to say o okay okay ooo okay
    the tl or the TL is the the car that MITE be the TL of the futures baba black cat have you any fool yes sir yes sir three jars fulllll
    papa papa ooo okay okay
  • daveonlidaveonli Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if any 2 door coupe's are in Acura's future?
    yes yes i think there is one yes yes 2 wheel car u mean 2 wheel with 2 doors u mean
    Well, no, not exactly.

Look, we're glad to have you as a new member, but please understand that we're having focused conversations here; we're not too into silliness for its own sake. If you'd like to contribute, we'd very much appreciate it if you join us in that same spirit. Your first two posts were spot on. These last two... well, you get the point.

Thanks.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    The thing to do is to read up on the car - I've heard shared AWD, but that's about it - some people say hard drive, but it's hard to know what's reliable. Nevetheless, if you can figure out what changes are in the works, you can figure out whether it's worth the wait.

1 other option to toss out there. If you're concerned about new model year cars, you could probably buy, lease, or take over the lease of a 2005 or 2006 TL where the lease would run out in 2009 or 2010.

PS- If you want a manual transmission, I'd go with an '05 or '06. The '07 requires you to get a Type s and I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.
  • tim69tim69 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask. I'm waiting for the better deals on 08' TL right before 09' comes out. The question is extra money spent on Type S, or $2500 nav system worth it? How's F-1 inspired paddle auto shifts compares with manual?
    I'd really appreciate a feedback who has experience in both.
    Thanks
    Tim :)
    Hi Tim I was in the same situation you were in and I have been watching this car since this time last year when was looking to purchase a 2007 model. Acura comes out with dealer incentives in stages. Just like last year around this time Acura put a $2000 dealer incentive on the car. As it got closer to 2008 around late summer Acura increased the incentive to $2500. As of the moment there is a $2000 incentive on all 2008 TL models. If you really need $500 them I would wait till summer. However, just as I learned if your really picky about the color and have to have a manual transmission you may be out of luck waiting till summer as you may discover you may not be able to find the color combo your looking for as the plants have down time to switch to the new model year and the incentives are only good on the old model. So I learned and waited till the incentive of $2000 came out on the 2008s then I ordered. Beware that it will take 60-80 days for your new car to arrive from the Ohio plant where it is manufactured at. In regards to the F-1 inspired paddle auto shifts and manual, I did not even think twice I hands down took the manual. No mater how advanced these manumatic features are they are still not suitable substitute for that third pedal. Just for giggles I test drove a Type-s automatic before I ordered my stick and I was not impressed I think the paddles are way too small to grab in a hurry if you wanted to downshift without having to think. Good luck.
  • tim69tim69 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you maxman. That's what I feel - paddle shifts not as good as manual. My 05' Pilot lease ends in June, I guess by that time we will know what to expect from 09 TL and when it comes out ( Sept- Oct??). I hope 08 type S will be available and $2500 dealer incentive will be even sweeter.
    Tim
  • ldsilverldsilver Member Posts: 3
    Live in the midwest snow country. Considering an 08 TL w/navi. Concerned about traction in the snow and torque steer on the TL. The RL is a consideration, but at a large increase in $$$. Any thoughts or advice from current owners would be appreciated.
    No problem...well I took delivery of my 08 TL- Type-S 6mt last Friday. Being a Nissan/ Infiniti man I have to say I am really impressed with the vehicle. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the notion of buying an over priced Accord but the cars feel and behave totally different. The appointments are first rate and the navi, blue tooth, voice command interface work with amazing precision. I thought up until this point that the Nissan/ Viston in car communications system was the best one going but, this one I have to say is slightly better. If your are concerned about traction in the snow you may want to consider the AWD RL, as my manual equipped TL-S does have a very noticeable amount of torque steer despite what the automotive press describes as a “slight amount of torque steer”. The only difference from the Maxima's/ Altima's have owned previously is that with the TL the car is so refined that even though you know the car is sliding away from you still feel like you have control vs. the Nissans where you know that you do not have control of the car and felt that you would crash at any moment. With this in mind I think your needs would be better suited with a 2008 Infiniti M35x or G35x. They are better equipped, offer more class, better residual value and both tend offer more features at a lower or about the same $$ if equipped correctly. The only gripes I have about this car are the already talked about torque steer but hey big HP w/ front wheel drive= the devil, so I already knew what I was getting myself into, XM sound quality is cut in half when switched from regular radio or CD (I still think the Bose system in my old 02 Maxima SE sounded better), no RDS for regular radio, need to a better job of matching the plastic bumpers with the metal as the plastic appears darker from an angle no loaner car (only for warranty work), not to impressed with first week mpg but it new so I hope it will improve, lack of right now low end gunt (can’t pull away from 3rd gear from an almost dead stop) in this regards the VQ35DE V6 from Nissan/ Infiniti still hold the crown in that department. But other than those few issues I am really pleased with the car but next time around I will opt for G35s 6mt.
  • priceacurapriceacura Member Posts: 1
    If he was nothing more then a sales person, then he does not know anything more then what you or I know as it is. The 2009 TL is being kept as a very good secret for some reason or another.

I am a sales person here in the delaware area, and i have the color chips sitting in front of me for the 2009 RL and the 2009 TSX, but no pictures on the 2009 TSX, apart from what Acura sent us a week back. One single shot of the front end.

Back to the TL, only the top executives and a hand full of designers know about it right now.

BTW here are a few new color chips being offered by Acura;

2009 RL;
    Alberta White Pearl
    Grigio Metalic
    Platinum Frost Metallic
    Silver Jade Metallic
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Tuscan Beige Metallic

2009 TSX;
    Premium White Pearl
    Palladium Metallic
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Vortex Blue Pearl (looks like the '08 TL-S blue)
    Glacier Blue Metallic
    Grigio Metallic
    Basque Red Pearl (taking over the '08 TSX Morocan Red)

Will keep updated as I hear more from the regional manager
    I moved a recent conversation thread to a more appropriate discussion. Let's continue here: irvine555, "Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans" #10751, 7 Mar 2008 11:24 am.
  • donniemdonniem Member Posts: 4
    I bought the truck new and owe roughly $8k. About two years ago I got a promotion that requires me to travel to central and philly area. I live in Cape May Nj and I'm spending between $125-$150 per week for gas.

One of the main reasons I purchased the truck was for my hobby of fishing ect...beach access and towing a small boat. With the new job and little one I dont have time for that anymore.

With that being said I've been in love with the 3rd gen Acura TL's.

My wife and I own three cars...98 VW beetle and 96 Vette. The VW was paid off years ago and she owes about the same as what I owe on the truck. The VW is her daily driver and the Vette just doesnt get used like it once was.

One option I was considering was trading in my truck.

I'm just looking for some advice on what, if anything I should do here.

Thanks
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    From a practical standpoint, it sounds like it might be good to keep the truck vs. the Vette. If you can afford it, sell the Vette and use the $ to pay off the other car loans (unless you have a wicked low interest rate...). Soon, you will be taking el nino to the beach, on the boat etc. and bringing a lot of stuff, so the Tacoma would be nice to have.

If you really don't need/can't use the truck/Vette, sell 'em both (or trade) towards the new TL.

The TL does get very good highway mpg. Local driving is where it can suffer a bit. There are great deals on the current TL, just note that with Gen4 on its way, supply may start becomming more limited.

What is very attractive about the TL (beyond its handsome style! and just all-around goodness!) is you do get a lot of car for the $. FOrget MSRP, think invoice on down. My only caveat is the snow performance ain't good. Snow probably isn't a big deal in Cape May?, but as you travel a lot, if snow is in the picture, get winter tires!

Promotion, huh? Wonder what that's like... :sick:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

This discussion has been closed.