Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Sandra-- I've noticed the streak too (I have silver also) but I don't really think there's anything we can do about it. It appears that it's coming from the residual dirt that's being wiped off the glass as the wiper sweeps across the window and comes to a rest at the bottom. The only solution I can think of --which I don't really know would be effective or not-- is to intsall the rear window deflector. I'd assume that it would keep the window cleaner thereby leaving less residual dirt to leave a streak.

In the 4Runner I once had, the rear wiper was top mounted and it left the same streak only on the glass of the rear window instead of the body of the tailgate. When it dried, it left an ugly streak on the rear window that was distracting to look at when viewing out the back. I prefer the clean swipe of the bottom mounted wiper which the Forester has to the top mounted wiper arrangement.

--'rocco
  • kowskikowski Member Posts: 6
    I have noticed that a few of you have posted a problem with the check engine light. Is this a problem with the Foresters? Also about invoice price guides for the 03 Foresters. I loged on to the Kiplinger site and they had 03 invoice prices. Not sure how accurete they are but this might help.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I've not paid attention to the Forester's rear wipers, so...
    Question: When the wiper comes to rest (stop), is it resting horizontally or at an angle?

I have an OB, its rear wiper comes to rest horizontal and no streaks.

-Dave

p/s Scirocco- I see you'd learnt something new
    e-mail me a lesson on it :)
  • luvacatluvacat Member Posts: 2
    I recently posted in reference to a problem I was having with my 99 Forester L brakes. After having the dealer inspect the Forester twice, I was told that the loud squealing was "normal". I finally took the vehicle to our local mechanic and the front left brake pad was worn to nothing, (this at 30,000 miles). He also was quite honest with me about other problems he had encountered with Foresters including a problem keeping them aligned causing cupped tires. Apparently, they are not the easiest vehicles to repair or to obtain parts for. I have no faith in the Subaru dealer so I decided to trade the car in. I had previously driven a 1990 Integra (purchased new) so maybe that was alot to live up to, but I was disappointed overall with the Forester. It always made strange humming noises and the a/c was adequate at best. I'm happy for all of you who have had good experiences, wish I could say the same. And to Gregorear, you're right, the gas cap is on the wrong side of the car - I never could get used to that!!!
    Nancy-- gee, that's too bad you had such a bad experience with the Forester. I have a 2002 and haven't heard that many problems with brakes, alignment, a/c or hard to find parts. I hope they had those things (as well as the wheel the bearing problems) straightened out by the time they started manufacturing the 2002 model. Better luck with your Civic!

Dave-- The rear wiper comes to a rest almost horizontally ...not quite but almost. It's just a very slight angle from totally horizontal. And ...um, I think I know what you are talking about. The server for my main email account is down right now but I'll email you when it's back online.

kowski-- I've never had a check engine light on my Forester yet. I had one on my Audi which went away after several driving cycles but it turned out to be a loose spark plug wire when the error code was diagnosed. And I went the the Kiplinger site and couldn't find the invoice prices for the '03 Forester. All I could find is the base MSRP figures. Do you have a link? The only site I can find so far is www.carsdirect.com that has the invoice figures for the '03.

Gas cap location: I really don't mind it on the right side ...at least they give you a little arrow in the instrument cluster to tell you which sides it's on. *winks* I guess it's because both of my current cars have it on the right side. At one time I had two cars, one of which had it on the right and the other on the left ...that got kind of confusing because I had to remember which car I was driving. *lol*
    So Greg-- Why do you have to get so close to the pump that you'll scrape something? image

--'rocco
  • john385john385 Member Posts: 8
    While refueling at NJ turnpike, the waitingline for cars with cap on the right side is five times as long as the line my car sits in--no waiting! It is like driving with EZ pass! you go figure.
    Did you buy the forester with a lot of miles (>50) for a new car?
    Best luck with civic, what an econo box with too many things right!
    john-- hmmm, yeah, that's a benefit! But I'm assuming you meant "left-hand" side when you referred to the "right" side line being longer. :P

I think Nancy said in her post back in April that she bought the car used with 19,000 miles on it.

--'rocco
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    The reason for the flashing CEL was probably that the pre-delivery inspection wasn't done yet; I believe they flash from the factory until reset after inspection.

I don't believe the rear windows were ever designed to go down all the way; did you take the time to actually look at the glass and notice that it cannot go down all the way?

I believe the AC wasn't working because, again, the pre-delivery work wasn't yet done.

Was the comment "boy was it windy" meant to be a complaint? All cars, with their windows open, will be windy - it's by design.

Your comment "Seems kind of dumb to limit the customer's paint choices."; if you can tell me of a vehicle that doesn't limit the customer's choices, I'm sure we'd all like to know! I do prefer the two-tone to the monochrome, though.

About the filler cap; are you saying that you can see the cap in your side-view mirror? If so, your mirror is not adjusted for a safe view of traffic, which is more important than being able to see the filler cap.

As to your comment "I also think the body cladding would give me less heartache when I get my first ding. Or maybe I'll just have to spring for all the protection groups.". By "body cladding", do you mean the silver lower body color on the two-tone paint job? It will get nicked the same as the mono paint job. As for the protection groups, I don't know what you're referring to.

I'm just about to take delivery of my second Forester, an 03 XS Premium (my first being a 99 S), so I guess it's obvious I like the Forester very much, but to each his own - that's why there are so many different vehicles out there! Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Just saw an unmarked Forester GT (the turbo version sold here in Australia) with flashing blue and red lights. Spoilt someone's trip home. They are popular with the police here, particularly in rural areas but this is the first time I have seen one being used around the city.

Cheers

Graham
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've felt for a long time that Subarus would make excellent police cars. I think some are used in the mountain areas of our country, and there was a WRX police car (that I posted some time ago) that was being used by the Canadian Mounties.

However, I think our police, specifically the State Police who patrol the open highways, are really missing out by not at least giving Subaru a try.

Bob
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    Graham -

Could you post a photo of a Police Forester sometime? We've gotta see this. Always thought they'd make great unmarked cars.

John
    Synthia and Greg, et al-- Thanks to kowski, I've just checked out the Kiplinger site and it appears up-to-date and accurate concerning invoice price and MSRP of the 2003 Forester. The Kiplinger's stated invoice price appears to be the true/standard dealer invoice price similar to how Edmunds would report on its calculator. Carsdirect tacks on an estimated figure for advertsing fees, etc. so you have to keep subtracting that figure out of the mix when configuring options ...in the case of the Forester, $190. So use Kiplinger's site for a "pure" calculation. It's extremely easy to navigate and includes all options on one page giving both invoice price and MSRP for each option. It also updates itself with each option selected.

The Kiplinger site also includes an extensive (and I assume accurate) spec. page. although it leaves out details such as approach angle, departure angle and ramp brakover angle such as the carsdirect page that I sited above.

Bob-- did you check out the link I sited on post #6249? ...just curious about its accuracy. Again, the picture is of a 2002 but the page is titled for the 2003 X.

--'rocco
    Steve-- Subaru.com has finally updated their website to reflect the 2003 Forester information. I just sent in the form you provided a link for in order for Edmunds to update their Forester information. Can you do anymore prodding? I have friends asking me which site is the best to do research on the new Forester. Normally I'd say Edmunds without hesitation but I can't do that right now. image

TIA

--'rocco
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The data people are in Santa Monica and I'm in Boise. So it's hard for me to walk down the hall and bribe them with donuts :-). Besides, they're off today. Patience....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Has anyone else gotten the letter from Subaru to bring your car (2000-2002 2.5l) to the dealer to have the Engine Control Module reprogrammed? What gives.. I've never had the CEL flash on my car.

Also, my car has stalled twice in the past month. Symptons: after hard rain. Start car. Car starts right up with no problems. Then dies. Have to restart -- starts right up again. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    If someone will explain, in detail, what I need to do to reset my ECU on my AT 2002 Forester S, I'll be a guinea pig for solving the occasional near-stall and odd transmission hiccups.

On a lighter note, I put about 800 miles on my Forester this weekend during a trip to the beach. The sway bars (???) still are creaking, as I've not had a chance to grease them up. It wasn't bad, but it sure makes the car sound like something underneath is worn out. My next oil change is in about 1000 miles (about 1.5 weeks), and I intend to have the dealership check/lube everything possible underneath.

Anyway...tell me what I need to do/have on hand to reset that ECU. I don't have a working relationship with my car battery. Time to start, I suppose. ;-)

Regards,
    Michael

P.S. - What happens to my remote keyless entry if I do this?
  • qmarkerqmarker Member Posts: 20
    More than a week ago, I did write Edmunds an email asking about a 2003 Forester update. They answered by saying they update mid-year vehicles in June/July. They did say they update "specific" vehicles such as the Cadillac CTS when info is available?

It did not make a lot of sense to me and I am not looking for a Cadillac, I already have one. :)

Donna
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Hey,
    you can't do the ECU reprogram unless you are Italian!!(HeHe).
    Gene
    *doh* ...and here I thought you were just down the hall! *lol* And if you think they can be bribed with donuts I suppose I could send them a dozen Krispy Kremes. :p

Donna-- They're gonna be missing the boat if they wait that long to update their Forester pages! *sheesh* I mean, where am I going to refer people that ask me where the best place on the web is to research Foresters? I'm always in the habit of saying "Edmunds!" but I guess they're losing their premier status!?

--'rocco
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Michael, Just disconnect the Negative from the battery. About a 3-5 minutes should do for the ECU memory to "decay". Then upon reconnecting, you will have to set the clock and radio station presets. My bucking is still gone (250 miles later) and I have only heard 1 "pop" (backfire while shifting) since. So Far, All Good. Hope this works for the 4EAT group. Mikey
  • scoochiroscoochiro Member Posts: 12
    Had my '02 Forester L for about a year. I do a lot of driving on rough roads, and managed to blow a hole in my Bridgestones this past weekend in far southeast Oregon.

I've heard enough bad things about these tires that I wasn't too surprised. The blown tire apparently got punched by a rock and is not fixable. I'm ready for four new tires.

I don't care much about handling; drive a fair bit in the snow; mainly, though, I really REALLY want tires that can handle some rough stuff. Out where I was, it wasn't great thinking about the fact that my spare was already on the car, and that cell phones weren't going to be of any help should I get stranded.

So -- what are the burliest tires suitable for a Forester? How are these things rated?

I know that this board has hosted tire discussions quite often, but the crummy serach function made it almost impossible to learn anything useful, and the local tire sellers seem to capitalize on consumer ignorance.

Tire Rack has also been recommended, but seemed much more geared to the performance (i.e., fast driving) crowd.

Thanks for any help.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What size stock do you have? I can run it through the Trooper guys and see what they come up with for you in AT treads.

-mike
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Over past 2 years in my Forester, CEL came on 2 times. In both cases, I was able to get rid of it by adding a bottle of Dry Gas to the tank, and waiting ca. 3/4 tank to be used. I wonder if it's water condensation in the tank which triggers CEL in some (many?) cases...
    Ken H.-- I'm in W. Washington and a co-worker of mine who has an '01 L expressed the same type sentiment when he was shopping for tires ...he wanted something more "truckish" than something geared more toward performance. He has a cabin somewhere near Leavenworth and has to go through a winding dirt road filled with potholes, etc. in order to access it. Anyway, he did a search on TireRack but put in "light truck tires" for his search. He ended up buying Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts which he's more than pleased with.

Here's the link for the choices if you were to choose that search: Click Here

And here's the link for TireRack's information page for the Scorpions: http://tirerack.com/tires/pirelli/pi_scrpst.jsp

This is assuming the size you're looking for is 205/70-15.

--'rocco
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Bridgestone Dueler AT 205/75R15's will fit the L a bit tight in the back maybe a couple of centimeters clearance...but definitly no rubbing. had it for almost a year now, no major complains, got a slow leak from a nail but that's about it. pretty quiet when new, but starting to notice an increase in noise, nothing I can't live with.

Mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Kate: kudos to you, I love a simple fix. Try to avoid running on empty tanks to prevent condenstation, too.

If you want tougher tires, consider moving to 205/75R15s, i.e. a taller sidewall, too. They should fit.

Congrats to Jim and Gary, new owners.

Bob: auto close should close all the way, it seems. Isn't that what "auto" means? If you have to press it twice it's not one touch open/close.

The rear windows can't go down any farther because the rear wheel well is in the way. But in vehicles where the windows does go down all the way, like the CR-V, note that the rear window is split vertically, so only part of it goes down. I imagine the area of the opening is similar either way.

-juice
    Sandra: yes, I get those streaks but only when I haven't washed her in a while. I know what you're talking about, though, it seems to run right down the middle.

Using Rain X seems to help, since water runs off more easily.

I love the gas cap on the passenger side because I always find more available positions at the gas station that way. In fact my wife just traded her 626, which had it on the driver's side, and I'm delighted now because a) our cars are both on the same side and b) no more waiting in line.

Renato: maybe the stalling is related to the ECU issue? If they suspect it's bad, hey, maybe they are right!

To reset the ECU, I prefer to start with a cooled down car. Pull the negative battery terminal, and wait 30 minutes. Then reconnect and start her up, but let her idle for a few minutes first. If you have an alarm keep the key fob handy, of course.

-juice
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    While taking my Forester in for an oil change, I had a great conversation with the sales manager and a sales rep. One thing led to another and I was offered a chance to drive the XS with the 5speed. Here is a list of my pros and cons:

Pros:
    1. Loved the interior, especially the new shifter.
    2. the clutch seems tighter compared to mine (could be b/c the Hill Holder feature--no shuttering).
    3. the interior is quieter.
    4. the interior seems a little bigger.
    5. the lit key ring and all swithes.
    6. the sunroof (ahhhh, droool, I'm jealous)
    7. 16" wheels standard
    8. in glass antenna standard
    9. nice retractable "grocery hooks"
    10. de-icer for the hatch wiper
    11. standard keyless entry
    12. true handle on the hatch
    13. remote gas latch (about time)
    14. extra 12v outlet in the armrest
    15. cup holders
    16. nicer (quicker) electric outside mirrors (I always thought mine were slow)
    17. better handling (I felt little body roll, and I tried!)
    18. nicer brakes (EBD)

Cons:
    1. no plastic ribbing on the roof
    2. mud flaps, cargo tray and rubber bumper cover aren't standard
    3. daytime running lights
    4. instrument cluster (reminds me too much of a pontiac)
    5. no java black monochrome paint for the XS (have to get the premium package for monochrome)

I really didn't expect to be so please with this new model. Subaru's constant refinement is welcomed for sure. Now bring on the turbo SOA and I'll be trading mine in!

Congrats to all of those who purchased the 03, you have a nice vehicle indeed!

Michael
    Yeah, my wife's new Legacy has that fuel door release and those nifty grocery hooks, too.

I'm getting used to her DRLs. You could just leave the lights on all the time, since they turn off automatically.

I'm thinking 2004 turbo as well, but it had better come with a manual tranny!

-juice
  • scoochiroscoochiro Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the responses. With a bit of help from you guys I was able to make the Tire Rack site a lot more useful for me.

Seems the Bridgestone HLs are far superior to the HTs, and the Pirelli Scorpion seems like a good bet too.

One last thing, though: Juice (and others) suggest going to a 205/75R15, noting that it "should fit."

Well, if it mounts and doesn't rub, does that mean it fits, or could it still rub in tougher driving conditions? What will it do to my speedometer readings? Is a couple of centimeters of clearance OK, or is that pushing things a bit?
  • subasuba Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,
    I just received a recall notice for my Forester '01S, having to do with a possible "Check Engine" software problem. The light has gone on only once and that was due to the gas cap not screwed on tight enough. So I'm not particularly worried about things; I do wonder if everybody qualified to receive the notice has received one.
    Ken H.-- There are literally hundreds of tire conversion calculators on the net but this is one of my favorites: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

And this one is an easy one for quickly determining speedometer error: http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

According to Palo Alto calculator, at 60 mph your actual speedometer reading will be 61.8413 mph by moving to the 205/75-15 size.

I just talked with the guy who bought the Scorpions and he really loves them. He says they're great in the snow and very quiet on bare pavement. Handling is excellent according to him. He decided to stay with the stock size for he didn't want the mentioned speedometer error.

If you need more tire calculators, let me know ...I have more than a dozen bookmarked. *rolls eyes*

--'rocco
    juice-- You mentioned leaving the lights on all the time. Why is it that Subarus don't have an exterior light and accessory "cut-out" during engine cranking? I cringe during cranking because all the lights remain on. Other cars I've owned have had accessories cut off during cranking where all the accessories automatically shut down briefly while the starter engages to lighten the electrical load. Is it because that in modern cars the starter and battery are better equipped to handle the extra load? I'd still rather have the headlights automatically cut-out during the starting process.

--'rocco
    The OB cuts off lights and accessories when cranking the engine, at least I know my '98 OB does it.

-Dave
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    No, my '01 S has not received a recall notice, though I have brought it in twice for the CEL, once because I know I misthreaded the cap while in a hurry.
    But thanks for the "heads up" and I will be checking my mail.
    Joe
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Both cutoff as well when starting. I believe my dad's '97 Legacy does this as well.

-mike
    So it's only on the Forester that the lights don't cut-out then, eh? ...cost cutting?

Or wait... is it just mine? Maybe mine's defective? Are the exterior lights and headlights, etc. supposed to cut-out during cranking on an '02 Forester?

--'rocco
    the OBS doesn't cut off when cranking.

-Dave
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    cut out when cranking. Of course, mine is Canadian specs which means DRLs. I've never turned off the headlights in the 2 years I've owned Rufus.

Ross
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Mine don't cut off either. Maybe that can be added to the 04 year.

Juice-I'm with you. SOA better put a 5speed or 6speed in the turbo (or I'm not buying it; and I really want one).

Michael
  • subiemansubieman Member Posts: 10
    Since I can't seem to find the search feature..i will post this again.

I'm interested in upgrading the speakers on my 2000 Forester and looking into the polk ex365 and ex350 at Crutchfield (basically the only front-rear matching brand that fits.) Unfortunately I know nothing about car speakers or what to look for (so a little worried about purchasing cheap stuff on ebay)

Are there any other suggestions for front+rear speakers in the 200-300 dollar price range? What do fellow board members use? I'm looking for an easy install.

Also does the stock tweeter location already have a built-in crossover or does that have to be modded?
  • danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    I also got Polks from Crutchfield, but I can't remember if they are the same as the ones you are planning to buy. They came with detailed instructions and connectors made to fit Subaru's. The only problem I had was that the front speakers were slightly larger than the original Subaru speakers, so I had to work a bit to make them fit. I am happy with both Crutchfield and the speakers quality.

Now for the second question, I don't think there is a built-in crossover, because I can still hear the highs from the Polk speakers, AND from the Subaru tweeters (I've got the upgrade tweeter kit from Subaru). The sound is a bit bright, but bearable. Overall, the sound improvement is substantial, and worth every penny.
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    Went to "my.subaru.com" to check my info. No recall or service program listed for my vehicle.

Had another zooming trip to the Black Range. Handles like a dream.
    some guy over at the I-Club said the Forester turbo would be automatic-only. I don't know where he got his info, or whether it is correct. He did seem confident of that fact, so take it for what it's worth... He may be completely off base; let's hope so.

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I have Sony Xplods up front and Polks in the back. You have a wide choice of speakers for the fronts since they're 6 1/2". The rears are very tiny and I believe Polks are the only ones that fit without modification.

Due to the size and positioning of the speakers, most of your bang-for-the-buck will come from the fronts. I upgraded my fronts first and noticed a huge difference. I noticed only a marginal difference when I later did the rears.

Ken
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    As I posted a few weeks ago, SOA does have a recall out (campaign WWF-89) to reprogram the ECU on 2001-2002 Foresters (MT and Auto), as well as some current model Outbacks/Legacys and Imprezas (Auto only). I had mine done at my last oil change two weeks ago, but only received my "official notice" in yesterday's mail. As I've never had the CEL problem, I can't report whether or not its effective.

YetAnotherDave
    Most speedos read your speed a bit high to begin with, so slightly bigger tires will actually make the speedo more accurate. Isn't that funny?

You can go to the Yahoo Forester club and ask what tires sizes those folks have used, but I'm sure that I recall a few folks using 205/75R15. One person even used 215/75R15, though that's really pushing it.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The only reason I haven't already gotten a WRX Wagon is I'm holding out to see if the 2004 Forester gets a turbo and manual tranny combo.

-Frank P.

P.S. Achieved 29.6 mpg on last tank with mostly highway driving.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Walter - I got it yesterday for my 01 OB. I'll try to get it to the dealer in the next 2 weeks, however, I haven't had any problems. Sorry for multiple posts on this.

Greg
This discussion has been closed.