Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Warning Lights

bcvistabcvista Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Honda
I just purchased my very first minivan, a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L. I drove it 50 miles and the engine light and "D" (for Drive) light started flashing at me. I immediately took it back to the dealer. They returned the car to me 2 days later saying it was the 3rd gear pressure switch, which they replaced. I drove the car two more days and again both lights came back on. The dealership has had the vehicle now for an additional week and has put over 200 MORE miles on it to try to 'fix' the problem. They've flushed the transmission twice and traces some electrical wire in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem. Have any of you experienced this with your new '07 ODY? The dealer has had the car more than I have AND driven it further than me; I am deeply concerned that I just made the biggest purchasing mistake of my life... What can I do?

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There's nothing much you can do at this point except bone up on the lemon law literature that came with the van. Although it varies by state, three unsuccessful attempts usually equals a lemon.

They are now on number two and, it seems, trying hard to get it right. It sounds as though they are doing what they can to avoid replacing the transmission.

This is why new cars have warranties. Unlike certain other manufacturers, Honda (at least in my experience) does stand behind its products.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Have they provided you a "loaner" vehicle while they are trying to repair yours?

Keep all the work orders to prove it had problems shortly after delivery in case it can not be satisfactorily repaired.
  • nolan12nolan12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Odyssey. When I accelerate up a hill and I get to about 3100 rpm my engine shudders and I lose power. If I let off the gas I regain power but my check engine light and my TCS light is on. I've replaced the cadilitic converter and the oxygen sensor. This only happens on hills when I'm pushing the engine. It never happens at lower speeds on a flat service. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Could be your transmission failing or a bad EGR valve.

Both problems have similar characteristics & are common problems with the '99-'01 Odysseys.

Have somemone check the error code with a diagnostic computer.

If you have a bad trans...make sure you are well informed about the class action lawsuit + surf Edmunds for advice. Don't pay for a replacement.
  • nolan12nolan12 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding. I had the transmission replaced under warranty after the first time I had this problem. I thought that would fix it. The error code is saying that I'm losing oil pressure.
  • bcvistabcvista Member Posts: 2
    The Honda Dealer did provide a very nice "loaner" vehicle to us while they were fixing the problem. It took them 18 days total and finally determined that it was the Power Train Module that was defective. We got the car back on Tuesday of this week and have driven it twice without incident. Additionally, the Honda dealer has compensated us for the 'inconvenience' by giving us the 6 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty at no cost to us and by paying the first months payment on our behalf. They kept us informed every step of the way about what was going on and what they were doing to attempt to fix the issue. The intial problem aside, I am very impressed with their service and how accomodating they have been to see that we walk away as satisfied customers. I would definitely go back to Honda again (at least at this point) based on their willingness to correct the initial problem and customer service. I'm truly amazed.
    Thanks for informing us of an EXCELLENT dealer.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    My wife advises me that two different warning lights have come on in the last two days on her '07 Odyssey EX.

The first was the low tire pressure warning light, which has come on 2-3 times when the car was cold and first beginning to be driven after being left outside for 3-4 hours (I should add that the temperature here has been in the single digits and low teens for the past week). I attributed that to marginally low pressure to begin with that further dropped when the car sat out in the cold (if she'd stop driving it for 30 min. or so, I'd add air to the tires). The light went off not long after she started driving (presumably b/c the tires heated).

The second light she described said "Side Airbag Off" and came on shortly after she went through the car wash with the car and began driving again. It stayed lit for a few minutes and then went out too. She was alone in the front of the vehicle with nobody else in the car and I believe had no things on the seat.

Car is going in for its first service early next week - I already have a laundry list (2000 rpm drone, loose glovebox, transmission shift delay) and would like to know if there anything else I should know or is this just likely extreme cold-weather related jitters?

Thanks!

-FS
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    My wife's 06 Touring did the same with tire pressure warning. Due to the low temps, you need to put at least 30 lbs of pressure when cold. I put in 32 to be safe and problem solved. Some folks also pay extra to have their tires filled with Nitrogen which does not change as dramatically as normal air with temperature.

My Passenger airbag light does not stay lit either and will be checked at the next oil change.
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    With the passenger airbag light, check your owner's manual. IIRC your Odyssey is working as designed because I believe the passenger side airbag does not activate when less than 60 lbs are in the front seat. I think that's a safety feature.
  • grgoden20grgoden20 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like Honda has serious issues with its Odysseys. Nolon the same exact thing happend to mine, i have 140,ooo miles on it. So can we as consumers trust our Honda Dealership? Not. I feel i shouldn't have to pay a penny. :)
    Do you REALLY think it is realistic for the dealer or manufacturer to pay the cost to fix things that break or wear out at 140,000 miles? :confuse:
  • sandyatlsandyatl Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know what this could be?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It could be a number of things. Basically the computer has detected a fault in the emissions system.

It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or an overfilled tank. You need to get the code read to determine what the issue is.
  • nbucksonnbuckson Member Posts: 1
    My wife experienced the same problem.The engine light and "D" (for Drive) light started flashing. My wife had it checked out and they replaced a sensor and said the problem was fixed. I drove it the next day and the light and "D" came back. I took it back to the dealership and they have had it 4 days and they said it could take up to a week to diagnose the problem. The said the honda tech support they called said it was a wire bundle issue. We have had the Honda less than 4 months. I dont have a very good feeling about this.
    On a humorous note, they gave me a FORD as a loaner vehicle.
  • nitneylionnitneylion Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2004 Odyssey three weeks ago from carmax with 44000+ miles on it. It was completely serviced by them prior to delivery. Scheduled maintenance is required at 45000 miles. I now have a Maint Reqd light flashing about six times every time I start the vehicle. Do I have to go to the dealer to have the systen reset or can I reset it myself? thanks...
  • mdowensmdowens Member Posts: 4
    The procedure for resetting the reminder light is in the owner's manual. The procedure is something like holding down the odometer reset button, turning the ignition switch to the on position, then keep the button pressed for another 10 seconds.
    Thanks, the owners manual was not with the vehicle and I couldn't find it on line...... :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would definitely purchase a copy of the owner's manual as it is an excellent reference guide for things like resetting the radio anti-theft code :)
    Of course you are correct, I just bought one on e-bay. :D
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    My 2007 Odyssey EX flashes a round red light in the lower right hand side of the main instrument panel, just to the right of the odometer reset button. It flashes more or less in time with the small red led on the radio panel. It happens after I lock all doors with remote keyless fob, and I understand the blinking light on the radio is a visual indicator that the security system is on. The blinking light on the instrument panel may be a similar indicator, but I cannot find it documented in the owners manual, though it does appear in the diagram, it is unlabeled. Has anyone spotted a place where it is described? Can anyone confirm it is just another visual indicator that the car is locked and the security is set?

Thanks,
    Jere
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm not sure about the current generation, but in the 02s (and probably every other Odyssey from 1999-2004) when I lock it up with the key fob there is a little red light that will blink in the gauge cluster. It is a visual indicator that the car is locked and the security system set, but I don't think it is documented in the owner's manual.
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, that sounds like precisely what I was trying to describe. I wonder why they didn't just indicate that in the manual.

Regards,
  • cadrivrcadrivr Member Posts: 2
    Becarefull, you may get what you wish for. I had an 04 Odyssey that was side swiped while it was parked. With 39000 miles on it the tranmission had to be replaced due to being forced about 10' forward from where it was originally parked. I got a remanufactured tranmission. I told Honda that if i wanted a rebuilt transmission i would have bought a used vehicle. They also told me a "new transmission" was only avialable off the assembly line, and those go straight into vehicles in production. Also, the remanufactured transmission case looked old and the paint looked just as bad. They assured me that everything inside was new. Whatever Honda, thanks for giving me a rebuilt transmission in a two year old $33,900.00 vehicle. I feel really safe and sleep well now, NOT!!
    As you said, the rebuilt transmission only reuses the housing. Everything inside is brand new.
  • idonotknowidonotknow Member Posts: 3
    just bought 2007 Honda Odyssey LX and have not played with it much. just one thing: the security light is not blinking after i locked the door with remote (pressed the lock botton twice within 5 seconds). So I am not sure if it is armed, or any prob with the arm system. Any experience? tx much.
  • bahi1bahi1 Member Posts: 1
    When I am starting my van(odyssey). There is warning " MAINT REQ' D" orange in color at left side right beside left indicator. Warning blinks about three four seconds.
    I can not find any reason. Recently oil and filter changed. I bought it in Jan 2008.

Thanks
    You must be coming up to an interval of 7500 miles - the normal service time.

Check your owner's manual - it has specific information on this light.
  • nhbob1nhbob1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the flashing D problem.

The dealer changed the transmission fluid 3 days ago and now I have the problem. I was hearing a whizzing noise from the engine compartment in front of the driver and was having trouble starting the car prior to this happening. That's why I went to the dealer to have them check it out. They tested the battery found no issues and also checked the fluids and recommended a transmission fluid change - now I have this problem. The transmission is slipping and the check engine and D light went on.

Could the dealer service have caused this problem or was it already there?

The car has 130k miles, I had the transmission replaced under warranty around 30k and then checked during the class action suit but they said it was fine. How bad off am I? I was hoping for 160K+ miles.

NH Bob

Any thoughts on
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    Okay, so we just came back from a party. We were there for about 3-4 Hours, and the car was parked outside of their house. I snowed today, and it was below zero today. We drove home and we saw the yellow Exclamation point inside the Triangle. We looke in the manual and it said CAUTION but it didn't say what it meant. We figured could it be telling us that the road was icy and to be careful? We just passed the State Inspections today, and we took it to the dealership where we purchased it. It's a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L if that helps.
    If it was on all the time, it meant you turned off the vehicle stability assist. If it flashed intermittently, then it meant the VSA was working.
  • haidoan70haidoan70 Member Posts: 1
    how do I reset a main't required light for 2001 honda odyssey lx
    I'll be the jerk: READ THE MANUAL. It's in there.

Or follow these instructions:

Turn off the engine.
    Press and hold the select/reset button in the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch ON (Position II).
    Hold the button for at least 10 seconds, until the indicator resets.
  • buckeyecarbuckeyecar Member Posts: 1
    Well, our brand new Odyssey (less than 200 miles) has the emission yellow light showing and now the green D light is blinking. I read that this is related to the transmission, but is that possible with a new car? Has anyone heard of this happening before, as it is very distrssing. Thanks.
    Well since it's in warranty, I suggest you take it in for a warranty claim.
  • smaccollsmaccoll Member Posts: 1
    I have 233,000 miles on my 1999 Odyssey. Just had it serviced--routine tune up. Drove 100 miles and then the little engine light next to the Maint req'd light came on.

Manual says emissions issue? I have driven it another 400 miles ( had to get home!). Light is still on.

What is it telling me? Fuel cap was tight.
  • blueshibumiblueshibumi Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2010 Odyssey that just reared its ugly flashing D head on the way back from the zoo. It came simultaneously with the tranny dummy light lit up. The van has a whopping 800 miles on it. Got home and a burning electronics smell rolled out from under the car as we pulled into the driveway. I parked it outside just in case...
    What the...? I plan on taking it in to the dealer (duh) but I am not the happiest guy around. Remind me why I bought a Honda? Anyone else out there with a similar issue. It's a Honda - not a Toyota (joke).
  • tsmorgstsmorgs Member Posts: 1
    I feel your frustration. My new 2011 Odyssey (less than 1000 miles) has a similar issue. All dash warning lights came on. It was one hour before we were supposed to leave to visit family. Now we are stuck in limbo waiting to hear what is wrong. What ended up happening with your van? :mad:
This discussion has been closed.