Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Little guys Suzuki and Mitsubishi demonstrated during the half why they might want to seriously consider the advice of some Japanese industry experts who advocate they get out of America. Suzuki's sales plummeted 60.2 percent; Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent."

AutoObserver
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    yep, that would make sense for the Normal plant to switch to what sells the most Mitsubishi-wise in the U.S. Saves on importing tariffs.

I have a concern that the 2010 i-MiEV might cost way too much for U.S. consumers reeling from a near-depression over here, though. Lower it! Of course, the BO $7,500 "green car purchase rebate" should come in to play when buying a Japanese-built i-MiEV. At least part of the $7,500 should apply. I'm more than a little interested in a Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...no longer includes the Eclipse..."

:cry::cry::cry:

On the other hand, I now own a "Classic" which will become increasingly rare.

:):)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent..."

Yeah, but even Honda has been off 25% lately.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

uhh, yeah, but your car doesn't even come close to being a classic to me. Not that it's not cool, it's that it is so new and so cool. Hot and fresh from the oven, even.

OK, I'll stop. :blush:

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Not sure that the analysts encouraging Mitsubishi and Suzuki to leave the U.S. market are doing them any favors.

Suzuki was doing fine when gas was $4.00 a gallon. Yes, they had some re-badging problems concerning Daewoo's but they appear to be past that now. As far as Mitsubishi is concerned, president Masuko says that " The U.S. will once again be the worlds largest automobile market." Does he believe that? I don't think anyone can say for sure but sales are bound to improve eventually. if Mitsu and Suzuki cut and run now it could be a slippery slope to oblivion. Mitsubishi has already signed several Memorandums of Understanding here in Oregon and parts of Canada concerning EV trials and infrastructure needs. MoU's are basically "deals". Most companies don't sign MoU's lightly, especially with state or local governments, and if you are a worldwide corporation it's a bad idea to renege on them, which is what Mitsubishi would be doing if they left North America. The timing of this "advice" seems odd when it was barely six weeks ago since Mitsubishi made so many announcements concerning the worldwide distribution of their MiEV. I have said before that I don't believe that EV's will change the way we drive overnight but the technology represented by these cars is extremely important.Consider this, what was the distance the Wright Brothers flew at Kitty Hawk that first time? Twenty years later and we were flying around the world. The MiEV is a huge step to raise the stature of Mitsubishi in this North American market. Once again, it won't happen overnight but Mitsubishi needs to keep a production and sales presence here in America.

Quite frankly, I think they have made some poor decisions regarding the market demands here. The Colt variants should have been sent here years ago. Right now Fiat is planning on bringing over the tiny 500, a car smaller than the Colt, to ostensibly save Chrysler. The bulk of the automotive world seems to accept this as a wise decision, yet Mitsubishi still seems to think Americans won't buy their small cars. Their diesel engines offer stellar performance as well. Will they continue to sit on their hands while other companies corner the market or might they finally decide to help their dealers become truly competitive with Toyota Daimler etc..etc..

One more thing, and this is no fault of Mitsubishi ( unless ad payola is the culprit ) is the bias against them in the automotive press - tell me if you think I'm putting out a conspiracy vibe here - My 08 Outlander is the finest SUV I've ever owned, and I've owned plenty, yet most reviews routinely dismiss Mitsubishi vehicles as "a near miss" or "close but no cigar". I certainly hope the 2010 Outlander gets some fair press when it arrives here, or will they forget about the world-class AWD system and moan about the awkward shape of the cup holders?
    I haven't read much about the Outlander but our editors seem to like it ok. And the 8.0 editor's rating isn't that far off from the 8.7 consumer ratings (sometimes there's a good sized disconnect there).

But, as you say, they've been out-marketed in the US in spite of the loyalty of the owners or the reviews (especially compared to Kia and especially Hyundai). A halo car can't hurt but they may be a decade out on widespread adoption of the electric car. The Prius has been around since '97 in Japan, and it's just now gotten to the point where most people consider it sort of a normal car.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Yep. I agree with you elgatoloco.

I wonder if Mitsu was trying to give the North American arm some freedom in design/development. I think that Mitsu was planning for Normal to build cars for this market soley and to import only few models from Japan. I would think that the contracts with the Normal plant had some type of stipulations that limited now many Mitsu's were imported into the US. Looks like the North American team missed the targets. I'm only speculating. This may be the reason why their other products didn't/haven't been introduced here. Whatever the case is, they need to get more of their global cars here soon. Hopefully, some will be built in the Normal facility.

The media is not kind to Mitsu at all. I don't get it either. I don't know if Mitsu's "press kits" are lacking the "impact" of the other car companies...
    The media is not kind to Mitsu at all.

There could be some of that going on - probably some memories of the sexual harassment case in the Normal manufacturing plant from a decade ago still in some reporters minds. Once you get hammered in the PR battles, it's hard to get back sometimes.
    "...the bias against them in the automotive press..."

I've been saying that for years. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to picking up subtle clues (just ask my wife) so when I notice a slant against Mitsu, it must be huge.

I've owned two cars with Mitsubishi engines and they are the smoothing running motors I've ever driven. That never gets mentioned even though I recall reading that BMW bought Mitsu engine technology to use in their own cars.

Maybe they need to increase the payola budget.

the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I bought in March of 2007 has been the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. It is dependably rock-solid and the coolest looking car I could've bought.

But it's true about the Lancer's motor-it purrs like a kitten and I don't notice a step lost after 40,000 miles. After purchasing my Lancer I had a few co-workers tell me that my Lancer's motor will last forever.

Also, in researching Chinese cars, I notice several Chinese car makers buy Mitsu motors to install in their rigs. I think the true reputation of Mitsubishi worldwide in the car industry is one of respect for their motormaking capabilities.

I like the rest of the package, too. For me it's Mitsubishi and Kia for my future automotive needs. Kia is working on a Forte Hybrid that has caught my fancy. Also, I am somewhat interested in the BYD e6 all-electric car. It is under development and I like it's 249 mile range capability.

Kia Forte Hybrid

That yellow is really yellow on that Forte Hybrid, eh? And the chick on the right has donned a yellow dress for the occasion, too!

Mitsubishi's i-MiEV is a city all-electric car, with a range of 100 miles. If the re-charging infrastructure were more mature I'd be more interested in one of them.

has a range of 100 miles, but, one thing that keeps it in the running as a futures trade for me is that it's a Mitsubishi, for one thing.

The other thing is that this field is wide open for research right now in determining battery pack issues, range, re-charging, etc. It would really be best to wait and do your research on green cars right now. Let them come up with new and better methods and spend when the time is right. Whenever that may be.

this pup's bodystyle, gentlemen.

Now that is sweet.

Mitsubishi Motors Reports July 2009 Sales Increase
    CYPRESS, CA - August 3, 2009: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced July 2009 sales of 4,487, an increase of 11.1 percent over June sales, and year-to-date sales of 31,314. MMNA posted its third consecutive month of increased sales.

July's volume leader was the fuel-efficient Lancer, with 1,712 sold, up 24.4 percent over last month. Sales of the Outlander CUV gained 39 percent over last month with 984 sold.

Showroom traffic rose sharply in July as consumers began their comparison shopping with the start of the U.S. government's cash-for-clunkers rebate program. As expected, sales quickened after the program started. Mitsubishi has 15 models that qualify under the program's fuel efficiency guidelines.

"We're cautiously optimistic that consumer confidence is returning, and that will precipitate incremental long-term growth," said John Koenig, executive vice president of operations for MMNA.

Adding to the optimism is next month's arrival of the all-new five-door 2010 Lancer Sportback Ralliart and GTS. The Lancer Sportback gives buyers another intelligent choice for a crisp handling, economical and versatile Mitsubishi.

About MMNA

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles and light trucks through a network of approximately 420 dealers.

For more information on Mitsubishi's full vehicle lineup, visit mitsubishicars.com. For media information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
    Good percentage increase. It's a bit of a different spin than the AutoObserver paragraph header though:

Mitsubishi: Sales Half of Year Ago's

Mitsubishi sold 4,847 vehicles in July, half of what it did in July a year ago.
  • dm1212dm1212 Member Posts: 59
    4,847 vehicles, thats pittiful. I don't know anyone who actually drives a mitsubishi now that I think about it.
    "...I don't know anyone who actually drives a mitsubishi..."

Two of the posters here drive them. Less than 5K units is pretty bad. A few years ago they were at least selling about 12K per month. I guess the minor players suffer the most in bad times.

I live in Honda land yet I see a lot of mistu products on the roads. I remember that Mitsubishi never had more than 1% of the market but around here it seems to be much higher. :)

Less than 5K units is pretty bad

On the other hand, according to a car salesperson poster over in one of the Clunker discussions, the average gross margin at the manufacturer's level is 15%.

What's the average price they are charging the dealer? If it's, say, $14,000, then 5,000 units x 12 is 60,000 vehicles a year, at 15% margin ... I'm not too swift with math but that looks like a gross before taxes of $126 million. Is it worth walking away from that market?

The other numbers posted were pretty interesting too:

kdhspyder, "Cash for Clunkers - Does it Work for You?" #1594, 6 Aug 2009 10:26 am

Maybe we should worry more about the dealers being to make it on that volume more than Mitsu?
    exactly. BTW-Mitsubishi's CEO recently stated that they have no intention of leaving the U.S. market. They fully intend to unleash their all-electric platforms here in the U.S. soon. I remain a large Mitsu fan and would not discount the idea of buying a Mitsubishi product next time.

AUGUST WAS MITSUBISHI MOTORS’ BEST SALES MONTH THIS YEAR
    Mitsu Media Website

CYPRESS, Calif. (September 1, 2009) - Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced August 2009 sales of 6,813. It was the highest monthly sales total for Mitsubishi since October 2008 and an increase of 41 percent from July.

“The CARS program lifted the spirits of the automobile industry by attracting to the showroom buyers who purchased cleaner-running, fuel efficient vehicles like the Lancer, Galant and Outlander,” said Shinichi Kurihara, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America. “August was our fifth consecutive month of increased sales and we are working diligently to maintain this sales growth in the months ahead.”

Kurihara noted that additional momentum is being provided by the all-new Lancer Sportback, which is currently arriving in dealerships. “The Lancer Sportback provides active lifestyle consumers with a versatile new option for sportiness, performance and spaciousness,” he said.

August highlights included:

Lancer sales were up 37.5 percent compared to the prior month (July, 2009). August 2009 was Lancer’s best sales month since August 2008.

Outlander sales were up 91.8 percent compared to last month. August 2009 was Outlander’s best sales month in two years (August 2007).

August was Galant’s best sales month since January, up 34.1 percent compared to last month.

Endeavor sales were up 37.5 percent compared to the prior month. August 2009 was Endeavor’s best sales month since July 2008.

August 2009 was Mitsubishi’s best retail sales month since August 2008.
    "...sales of 6813..."

You beat me to the post.

I'm glad Mitsu had a good month but I'm wondering what they are doing to keep sales up. I was looking at the "incentives and rebates" list here on Edmunds and it says there is NO rebates or marketing support for 2009 models and only mild low APR financing (4.9%) on the 2010s. On top of that it looks like they have raised their prices on the 2010s. MY 2008 Eclipse had a MSRP of about $24K. The 2010 is $29K.

Is Mitsubishi broke or have they just given up? :confuse:

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Mitsubishi has the advantage of being a diverse company from heavy trucks to electronicsto A/C units to commercial contracts. I read a couple of years ago that they won a 15 billion dollar contract to build a Nuclear substation in Texas.

Their Auto business is just a small piece of the pie for their portfolio. And on top of that, they have a good portion of market share in their home turf of Japan.

Their recent products like the Lancer and Outlander have been well recieved and the Eclipse and Eclipse Spyder have been successes as well. This is with little to no advertising. They've also got an EV in the works to compete with the Volt butis supposed to come in with a much more resonable asking price.

They really need to nail the next Galant and rework the Endeavor into a legitimate Pilot/Highlander competitor. But I still think they have a better chance of a future here than companies like Suzuki for instance.
    anythingbutgm. You summed up the Mitsu company history thing very well. That is why I have remained bullish on Mitsubishi's future in automotive...because they're so diversified as an entire Company. Their engines are pretty much bulletproof, very, very impressive in the enginemaking department.

I have read that the parent Mitsubishi Company just writes off the automotive losses if that's what they have.

OTOH-I like what Mitsu's doing overall with the Lancer, Lancer Sportback, Outlander and the new i-MiEV. I heard the I-MiEV may cost $40,000, however, but be eligible for the BO $7,500 "green car" Guv-Mint rebate. We shall see. I think they need to lower that price by about $7,500...at least. :blush:

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    :D Thanks

I also forgot to mention that Mitsubishi also supplies small engines to Hyundai. Also, I'm not sure if it's true anymore, but they also used to supply a lot of engine compnents to other makers. Their Turbo's, which are some of the best in the business can be found in Saab cars. I believe all the alternators found in Toyotas are or may still be Mitsubishi supplied. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think there were many other components supplied to many automakers back in the 80's and 90's. :shades:
    "...engines are pretty much bulletproof..."

Amen to that. Just sold my Chrysler with a 2.5L Mitsu engine that doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes (117,000 miles). My big 3.8L in the Eclipse gets the same gas milage as the old-time 2.4L Chrysler built motor in my wife's PT Cruiser.

Hey, if they can get by on 7000 units a month, more power to them. :)

"...alternators found in Toyotas are...Mitsubishi..."

Lord, I hope so. The Toyota built ones were junk. I replaced seven of them in my 80s Toyota.

"...other components..." "Silent Shaft" technology sold to BMW. Makes Mitsu motors very smooth running.

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    also engines for Daimler Smart cars

...and 5th generation fighter jets:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_ATD-X

Oldfarmer - I was surprised to see that you hadn't posted the sales numbers when I logged in yesterday. You just wanted me to feel important. ;)

Anythngbutgm - here are a few sites to support your statements...
    Mitsu builds turbos for BMW
    Mitsu's vast portfolio
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Small motors to Hyundai... at one time that was the case, but all engines used throughout Hyundai's product line today are manufactured by Hyundai. Some of the powertrain engineering was initially sourced from Mitsu, but no longer. And, the engines used in the current generation Sonata and the new Genesis are totally new Hyundai designs, and are also manufactured by Hyundai.
    "...and 5th generation fighter jets..."

Is that the new Eclipse? :P

"...Hyundai designs..."

What about that "world engine" that Mitsu, Hyundai and Chrysler went in on a few years ago? Does Hyundai still use that? I'm pretty sure Chrysler does because I was disappointed that while I couldn't get it in a PT Cruiser, you could get a similar 2.4L in other Chryslers that had VVT and 25 more hp.

world engine...

You're right oldfarmer. The 2.4L was a joint effort between Chrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsu.

Huyndai and Mitsu worked together on the 2.0L that's found in the Evo and the Genesis Coupe.

I found the above info by searching this site.

The 3.8L is still a mystery to me. I know the Mitsu unit is iron while Hyundai's is alloy, but 3.8L is an unusual displacement. And since both companies share technologies, it seems like there would some connection.

Oldfarmer, how's your instant classic doing? I might get me one a few years.
    "...how's your instant classic doing..."

I've got a little over 13K miles on it after 19 months. I have had ZERO problems with it. Only thing I've done is change the oil and rotate the tires. The gas mileage keeps getting better. Now gets 25 mpg. around town. Haven't taken any long trips lately but last summer it got 30mpg on the road.

I don't hot rod it very much but when I do I continue to be impressed by the torque it has. One day coming home from work I was shifting manually and wound it up to 6000rpm in first gear. When I punched it shifting into second at about 40mph I put down about 20 feet of rubber and almost torque steered it into the weeds.

Very childish for a man my age and I should be ashamed of myself....but I'm not. :blush:

Hahaha. You're living the good life.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Comparo of Mitsu Evo and Subaru Impreza on Top Gear... They really hammer on the Evo at aroung 6.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk&feature=fvhl
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    "...Mitsu Evo and Subaru Impreza..."

Mitsu should air that show as a commercial. I've never seen such a glowing endorsement. Loved that 4 wheel drifting around the Subbie. :) Very cool when he says "The Lamborghini takes this corner at 65, let's try it in the EVO at 100".

What was the second EVO that he was recommending at the end?

Mitsubishi and Peugeot sign electric vehicle agreement

Tokyo, Japan - Mitsubishi Motors and Peugeot Citroën have partnered on electric vehicles, signing a cooperative agreement that signifies a new step in their partnership.

The agreement was signed in Paris by Osamu Masuko, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors, and Philippe Varin, CEO of PSA Peugeot Citroën.

The partnership covers the development of an electric vehicle (EV) for the European market, based on Mitsubishi’s Japanese i-MiEV subcompact EV. The vehicle will be sold in Europe, with both Peugeot and Citroën versions, with production planned for October 2010 and market launch by the end of 2010.

Mitsubishi launched the new-generation i-MiEV in Japan in June, and will begin global sales of the right-hand drive vehicle this year. The company plans to expand rollout of the vehicle in left-hand drive markets in fiscal year 2010.

PSA Peugeot Citroën will launch its hybrid diesel technology in 2011 on the Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 and Citroën DS5 HYbrid4, and a plug-in HYbrid4 diesel in 2012.
    Article from MotorTrend

An engine alliance among automakers Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai is no more. The Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) was responsible for a number of globally used four-cylinder engines powering cars like the Dodge Caliber, Mitsubishi Lancer, and outgoing Kia Sportage.

At one point, GEMA's Web site claims, over one million units were produced each year. Now, Chrysler has announced Mitsubishi and Hyundai sold their interests at the end of August to Chrysler, whose small engine needs are soon to be filled by Fiat.

Still, Chrysler says GEMA will not cease to exist: "Going forward, GEMA and its employees will continue to build state-of-the-art engines for [Chrysler]."

State-of-the-art? Hmm, we're not sure we'd go that far to describe all of the engines, which include a 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L, and 2.4L turbo. Nevertheless, we would be surprised if the involved automakers will greatly miss the partnership.

Taken from GEMA's site, here is a list of vehicles that have used its engines:

* Chrysler Sebring
    * Chrysler Sebring Conv.
    * Dodge Avenger
    * Dodge Caliber
    * Dodge Journey
    * Jeep Compass
    * Jeep Patriot

* Mitsubishi Outlander
    * Mitsubishi Lancer
    * Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
    * Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
    * Mitsubishi Galant
    * Mitsubishi Delica (Japan)
    * Peugeot 4007
    * Citroen C-Crosser

* Hyundai Sonata
    * Hyundai Azera (Korea)
    * Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    * Hyundai Santa Fe
    * Hyundai Spectra
    * Hyundai Starex (Korea)
    * Kia Optima
    * Kia Sportage
    * Kia Sorento

Source: Chrysler, GEMA
    I read this story yesterday, too, on an online site. I would think that Mitsu has no reason to stay in this partnership at all. Engines are one of Mitsubishi's really strong points. Man, I love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' 2.0L 4-banger. I can cover a lot of the RPM dial in jut a short time with this engine, and I do!

And my Lancer has the supposedly underpowered 4-cyl. motor, the one with 152 horses. Tell ya what, it fully supplies my needs. I am going to continue to treat this car like a baby, giving it everything it needs at all times. Tuesday my wife and I are heading the 209 miles NW to Avondale, AZ, to get our Lancer GTS it's latest 'Auto Butler' paint protectant and polish treatment.

And soon there will be a 45,000 mile service at Jim Click Mitsubishi in Tucson. I don't spare anything on maintenance, as a young man I may have, but not any more. Now I give it everything the manufacturer decides it needs at the proper time. Like a little puppy dog eager to please!

I love this Lancer GTS. Even though I like the new all-electric technology coming out to propel cars I don't see us trading in anytime soon.

And if one gets a Mitsubishi, I am fully confident that they'll get a fine engine installed from the factory. I am totally impressed with this Lancer GTS.

If I were to be a nitpicker I could tell you that the front driver's side and passenger windows tint-jobs have been scratched a bit. Not enough to deny sight, but you can see it. The other day at the carwash in Tucson a young man came up and said they have a special till the end of September on tint-jobs. The guy would strip off the old tinting and install new for $70.00. I said I'd think about it, could be worse than that.

Evidently Mitsu didn't provide a buffer material inside the window opening in the door that wards off the tinting getting scratched inside. Obviously this guy would have to address that issue, not just replace the tinting and have the same thing happen all over again. But honestly, this work is not something I lay awake at night worrying about, and we could easily live without needing it done at all. Could mention it to my Mitsubishi dealer on Tuesday, too, maybe they'd fix it under the bumper-to-bumper Warranty. That's the only thing I might think about fixing on the car, everything else I love about it. :shades:

Just got done taking a look at Mitsu's website and they’ve updated it with most of the 2010 models. The Galant is the only car lacking any ’10 info. I think 09 is the last year for the Raider.
    To me the Lancer Sportback looks good and makes sense. There’s even an AWD turbocharged RalliArt version. The rear is sort of plain and really doesn’t match the front (unlike the sedan).
    The Evo gets a new trim dubbed MR Touring (Mr. T for short – hahaha). It gives you a low profile rear lip spoiler, heated leather seats, and a moonroof. An attempt by Mitsu to steal a few M3 and S4 buyers? I really like subtle styling of the MR Touring. Now if I just had a spare $40K to play with…
    The Eclipse lives on for another year! It gained some minor interior upgrades like Bluetooth availability.
    Even the Endeavour gets a bit of re-styling for the front and rear.
    There’s some teaser info about the re-styled 2010 Outlander. Along with its new shark/jet fighter face, I think it gets stronger and more fuel efficient V6 and I4 engines.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Thanks. I signed up for news on the Outlander.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    That would be the Concept ZT from the 2007 Tokyo Motorshow. The concept was large, bigger than the current Galant.
    With Mitsubishi's new strategy focused on smaller vehicles, the word has been that both this and the Concept RA are dead (unfortunately). :cry:

This years' Tokyo Motorshow will showcase Mitsubishi's new small CUV (based on the Concept Cx), hybrid technology, and possibly their next gen COLT platform.
    emphasize their Colt-sized vehicles, in "green" formats and/or diesel engines. High gas mileage being the operative goal. With plenty of power built in to boot.

Still lovin' my '08 Lancer GTS.

"...Still lovin' my '08 Lancer..."

I saw one in the parking lot at work yesterday. Rally Red with the 10 spoke alloys. Sweet. That is THE color for that car.

Speaking of Lancers. Why have other car companies started copying the tail light style of the Lancer? I was behind an IS250 and I thought it was a Mitsu. Several other high end cars have similar tail lights now.

"With Mitsubishi's new strategy focused on smaller vehicles..."

Maximizing fuel efficientcy is certainly a major concern for most car makers. Just took another look at Mitsu's website and the 2010 Galant looses the V6. It now comes only with the I4 and gets 21/30 MPG. The fuel rating looks decent, I didn't realize that it could 30 MPG on the highway.

Psychogun -- when does the Tokyo Motorshow start?
    "I was behind an IS250 and I thought it was a Mitsu"

I may be wrong but I think the current IS came out a year or so before the latest Lancer. I do agree that there is a strong resemblence though. Take a look at the rear of the Lexus RX and the Outlander. At least Mitsu is picking a good company to "borrow" design elements from (hahahaha).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I'm guessing they weren't selling too many V6's in the Galant anyway. When I test drove one I don't think there were any V6's on the lot.

I stopped at the local Mitsu dealer the other day for a rear wiper for my Outlander and there were only a few cars left on the lot. I was worried they were closing but they are combining with the Ford dealer owned by the same people.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    I heard that the current Mivec 4 cyl was tweaked for better fuel mileage in the 2010 model ( 30 mpgh ). All the Galants are now 4 cylinder with the top line models having 18" wheels, special rims, strut brace, bluetooth, rear camera, etc..etc.. The Galant also has a new front grille design.

Most interesting Mitsu news of late was some industry news concerning the new CEO of Peugeot, Phillipe Varin, who made some comments concerning an expanded partnership with Mitsubishi back in early September. This would go beyond the current involvement of re-badged Outlanders, re-badged MiEV's and the joint production facility in Russia.

Apparently Varin said his goal was to further expand Peugeot sales worldwide. Some auto analysts were quoted as saying that this could be beneficial to both companies since Mitsubishi was at the forefront of electric car battery technology while Peugeot excelled in diesel technology.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    The Tokyo Motor Show runs from 10/23 (press day) to 11/4.

The engine in the 2010 Galant is still the same 2.4l I-4 4G69 MIVEC that it was launched with back in 2003, still mated to a much outdated 4-speed automatic.
    Tweaks to the transmission's ratios and to the engine give the Galant the EPA estimated MPG of 21/30.
    It is rumored that the 2011 model year will be the last of the current Galant. The model to replace it will be slightly smaller, but still larger than the Lancer, and is most likely going to be built on a stretched GS platform (same as Lancer/Outlander).