Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    That is not what were getting here. Mitsubishi will bring the next generation Colt which will be smaller than the current one. The US bound Mitsubishi Colt will be an all-new global small car and will have 1 to 1.3 liter gasoline engine. I hope that they will include a Colt Ralliart.

Next fall Mitsubishi will be selling the RVR, a crossover that will be smaller than the Outlander. Here is the official news release: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/da955c57-4ae6-6683-df92-f3ef4b16beca

Mitsubishi is also studying the possibility of bringing in to these shores the Triton compact pick-up and the Delica. What about the Galant? The current one needs to be replaced ASAP!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    here's a link to some more explanation on the new RVR SUV and the new Colt coming to shore.

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1039629_mitsubishi-planning-new-com- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pact-suv-and-minicar-for-u-s

Mitsubishi RVR SUV

That color rocks, eh?

Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart

Whichever new dinky Colt Mitsubishi decides on bringing to da States, I hope they put their ship in high gear and get those pups here pronto. And if this is what is gonna happen, that Mitsu will bring a new even smaller Colt than the one pictured above, I am wishing even more that Mitsubishi Automotive Corporate would've made a Starbuck's and raspberry jelly donut big-wig decision like this about 8 to 12 months ago. But do bring it on, boys! I would dearly appreciate it if my favorite carmaker would sell some more rigs and stay here actively promoting and selling their product.

I will say this about that some further. My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is such a good and cool product that it scares me. Fantastic vehicle that I love even more today than I did on March 21, 2007. And believe me, my Mitsu brothers, I was crushingly in love with my car on March 21, 2007, the date I drove the 209 miles NW to Avondale, a western Phoenix burb, to buy the car. I first started learning about it on the internet, of course, and was heavily in love with it by about January of 2007. Mitsubishi has thoroughly impressed me even more since then and I think I have made carmaking buddies for life. I see that these carmakers have an enthusiam for carbuilding that one must experience for themselves to fully-completely appreciate.

There's only one automotive field I might allow myself to stray from Mitsubishi for, and that is the all-electric one. I might be interested in the new BYD e6 all-electric car. It is supposed to seat 7, be a crossover, go 0-60 in 8 seconds, top out at 99 mph, and go 249 miles per "charge-up". And should be costing around $40,000 before Barack's $7,500 "green car" rebate that's promised. To say I'm not interested in that car would be a big, nasty, smelly lie car nuts. :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    That top color is nice...but I just can't dig those "scowling Pokemon" faces.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, the blue helps modulate it a lot. Much better looking than the white front end to my eyes. The white one may look a lot better in person than in the pics too.
    on my '08 Lancer GTS better than the EVO's gaping looking front end.

See here. This is another 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, only it's gunmetal grey in color. But I like that large panel of body that goes across the front located just below the Mitsubishi emblem on there. Helps to fill in the jet-fighter inspired look on the front end instead of having the EVO's gaping maw.

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    "RVR" - does anyone think that name is gonna work over here in the States? Seems like Outlander Sport or Colt Sportback would be more suitable.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Yeah, the gaping maw doesn't flatter most cars. I call the modern Audi look "big mouth bass" :shades:

I also don't like headlights that appear to be glaring or leering. It's some pretty weird pseudopsychological stuff going on in the styling world, and it is often on cars that aren't exactly intimidating.
    it's all an illusion...the Grand Illusion. It's all a big illusion...look at 43's racecar, hell they look less intimidating than the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS!

I give Mitsu credit for attempting to create an illusion of intimidation. Whether the car intimidates or not it's a helluva fun car ta look at and to drive. It's what you make of it, really. It's a kind of an artsy-fartsy canvas to build on. Eh?

What's cool about my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is that it's already got the Rockford Fosgate 650-watt stereo, the sunroof, leather-wrapped gearknob and steering wheel, red-glowing dials on the dash, foglights and wraparound bodykit. The car's loaded straight-from-the-factory! The OEM Dunlop tires needed replacing at 30,000 miles, but come on, who expects perfection! To be a good sport at 30,000 miles I went and bought some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S Pinna's. At 17,000 miles on them (47,226 miles overall on the car now) they're holding up quite well and give me great handling and a smooth freeway and citysled ride. Great tires. $813.14 OTD price on the Pirelli's but for this car I would fly to Monaco for it's tires...just to get the right ones.

What silly lengths we'll go for our car if we love it. :shades: This is what it's all about with this silly Henry Ford car experiment. The boys at Mitsubishi understand things quite well.

here's yet another new Mitsubishi, this one planned to come to da States in 2013.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1039749_mitsubishi-plug-in-hybrid-suv-to-be-- - - - - sold-in-the-u-s-in-2013

The PX-MiEV plug-in hybrid SUV.

The following is taken right from the article.

As shown in Tokyo and LA, the PX-MiEV is derived from the production i-MiEV electric vehicle scheduled to go on sale next year but unlike the i-MiEV it will be a plug-In hybrid capable of operating in either electric-only mode or with a direct-drive boost from the internal combustion motor.

The car operates in full EV mode at low speeds, but as the battery level falls, A 1.6-liter inline-four will power a generator which delivers power to both front and rear-wheel electric motors and the battery pack. Under strong acceleration and at higher speeds, the internal combustion engine will also help drive the front wheels mechanically. Driving mode is determined by the i-MiEV operating system which monitors speed, acceleration, wheel-slip and battery level to optimize efficiency. Full EV-mode range is said to be approximately 30 miles.

the "Geek Squad" from Best Buy will be leasing 4 Mitsubishi i-MiEV's.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1039600_best-buys-geek-squad-to-receive-four- - -mitsubishi-imievs#comments

Taken from the linked article is this information.

Best Buy entered the EV fray in August by offering the Brammo Enertia motorcycle for sale at some of their west coast stores. The latest move only reinforces the theory that America's largest electronics retailer sees an opportunity in the EV industry, whether it be selling the vehicles themselves, or providing EV charging points and accessories.

The deal is a smooth move for Mitsubishi as well. Their iMiEV is expected to go on sale in the U.S. within the next two years. If they're able to nudge a few of the Geek Squad's existing VW Bugs out of the picture in the meantime, all the better to promote their new electric car. It will take a lot more than some clever marketing for Mitsubishi to sell the iMiEV though. With a price approaching $50,000, they're up against some serious zero-emissions competition: namely the Tesla Model S. (For 50-large, we'll take the silent sport sedan, thank you.)

Source: Jalopnik

"Now through February 1st, 2010, members of Sam's Club are eligible for 0% financing, for up to 60 months, on the 2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Lancer and Outlander and the 2010 Endeavor and Galant. This offer is in lieu of any cash offer that may be available. There are also special lease rates on the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander and Lancer (including the Evo!)."

Deal of the Week: Mitsubishi and Sam's Club 0% Financing Offer (Edmunds Daily)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...0% Financing Offer..."

Funny, when I got my Eclipse in Jan. 2008 anybody with good credit could get that 0% deal. No Sam's Club necessary. Mitsu is strange. Sales are about 1/5th of what they were when I bought and they are offering less of a deal. Go figure.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    over in the Suzuki discussion an intriguing article comparing Suzuki and Mitsubishi's outlooks in the States, and ending on a pessimistic note. It is fascinating when you think about how similar these two companies are, and how much the odds are stacked against either of them remaining for sale here.

Suzuki of course has no production capacity in North America whereas Mitsu still has Normal, and where nobody has heard of Suzuki, Mitsu is almost on the map.

And, yikes!
    Mitsubishi is down 46 percent in 2009. Its U.S. market share has fallen from a high of 2.0 percent in 2002 to 0.5 percent so far this year.

(Mitsubishi is) heading for a third year of operating losses in North America. Indeed, the success of new products arriving in the next 12 months may determine whether the (brand has) a future in this country.

.....Its lineup is filled with slow-selling vehicles geared toward the United States, such as the Eclipse sporty car, Galant mid-sized car and Endeavor crossover. It wants to go small.

"Revitalization of the U.S. business is very important," Mitsubishi President Osamu Masuko says. "There are a lot of things we are considering, including the introduction of new vehicles."

The new product push starts next fall with U.S. arrival of a small crossover based on the Lancer platform. Mitsubishi follows that in 2012 with a small global car that also may come in a plug-in hybrid or all-electric version in 2013.

In the meantime, Mitsubishi's four-seat i-MiEV electric car is due in mid-2011.

The rollouts are meant to reposition Mitsubishi as a maker of fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered cars and electric and hybrid vehicles. A capital tie-up with PSA/Peugeot-Citroen, now being discussed, could bolster the makeover by injecting badly needed funds into the struggling automaker.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091214/RETAIL03/312149967/1- 078

There is nothing that Mitsubishi is doing that will revitalize the North American business except for the push into electric vehicles. That could go well for them if gas goes back up in price and they come in early with a great car. Will the i-MIEV be it? We will see.

Even then electric cars won't be volume for at least five years, so the hope would have to be that the electric models would give them renown in the marketplace and that would help sell the other cars.

Oh, and footnote: North America is by far the smallest global market for Mitsubishi. The region accounted for just 10 percent of worldwide sales of 445,000 vehicles in the fiscal first half, which ended Sept. 30.

So when it comes right down to it, with all the global market expansion going on in Asia, why would Mitsu even expend a ton of energy trying to expand market share in the U.S.?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I remain optimistic and excited about my fave automaker Mitsubshi. It's because of their engineering talent and my personal experience with my '08 Lancer GTS. It's been the best car I've ever had and to be perfectly frank about it, it's the cool looks and "jet-fighter" inspired looks that lead to that conclusion. For me, myself and I they hit the sweet spot with the 2008 Lancer GTS design.

But it's important to note that it's the Lancer GTS design with the wrap-around bodykit, leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearknob, sunroof, 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo, bluetooth, foglights and those 10-spoke wheels combining together with the what I look at at just brilliant small car design that does it for me.

I remember vividly when the entire design was unveiled on the net around Jan. of 2007. My jaw literally dropped in excited amazement. Oh, from my '99 Kia Sephia I remember so well being excited about a car and having virtually nobody share my same view.

But this car has fully grabbed my attention and has me drawn to it an a way that is not diminishing and in fact is only growing. I think that these guys have a passion for automaking that they're stroking for themselves that oozes out to enthusiasts that both see it and see the need to participate in it themselves.

I look ahead to 2010 and beyond with eager anticipation for Mitsubishi in both the U.S. market and worldwide. I remember my hospital workmates telling me my Mitsubishi's engine will last forever (they are serious). They have great experieice with Mitsubishi and flat-out told me of it when I bought my Lancer GTS.

So far they're right on the money. Livin' it and diggin' it car nuts. :shades:

"why would Mitsu even expend a ton of energy trying to expand market share in the U.S.?"

Nippononly, that's a very good and thought provoking post. Here's my opinion on why Mitsu is not yet giving up...
    Pride and income that can be generated in the future. Basically, all I need is something like a Honda Fit. But, like most of us in this country, I'm gonna go a step beyond satisfying needs. Mitsu, Subaru, and Nissan all know this. I mentioned these three companies because not so long ago, they too were on the brink of extension (well, Mitsu still is) in the US. Subaru got tons of money from GM and now Toyota. Nissan was almost toast in the 90's until Renault bailed them out. Oh and let's not forget about Mazda and past relationship with Ford. Each of these Japanese car companies had good products but needed some assistance to stay afloat due to lack of infrastructure in this country. I still believe that Mitsu's greatest blunder was agreeing to allow Chrysler four cylinder (non turbo) engines to be installed in thier most popular models (Eclipse and Galant) in the mid to late 90's. If the PSA deal happens, then Mitsu may be able to get things turned around just like Subie, Nissan, and Mazda.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    The Lancer GTS is a very nice car, but Mitsu's, as well as all other manufacturers, specs their vehicle's audio systems output level absurdly high - and, flat wrong. It's marketing hype only. 650 watts of RMS (root mean square) audio power equals to a receiver/amp power supply current requirement of at least 47 amps at 13.8VDC. Unless these cars are running a pair of alternators, it's only a marketing illusion. Generally, the power levels quoted are Peak audio power, which is a long, long way from real RMS audio output levels.

Back to the mechanics of the Mitsu cars...
    now is where a Valley Girl with a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS who just commented like a had above would go "Whatever!"

I see your point, though, and I do like the overall sound of my Lancer's stereo. I do realize it's limitations and would have to look at alterations to my stereo if I wanted to try and get even louder sound. It does amply supply our musical speaker output needs, however, but the point is true that the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS stock OEM RF stereo/speaker combo is by no means the end-all in stereo capabilities in the modern automobile.

It is no slouch, though, either.

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> Mitsu's, as well as all other manufacturers, specs their vehicle's audio systems output level absurdly high - and, flat wrong. It's marketing hype only.

* It's not wrong. The rating is government regulated according to its standards.
    * If it's wrong they will be sued right away.
    * And it's not Mitsu: it's Rockford Fosgate.
    * The 650 watt rating is not uncommon: Harman Kardon/Benz stereo rated 610 watt.
    * there are 2000 watt amps out there: http://www.amazon.com/Nitro-BMW-486-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B0007LIAJA
    * Usually a good 10" subwoofer alone needs 300 watt of power into order to deliver musical (not necessarily loud) bass.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'll toss in that for '07 at least, the Outlander came with a 120A alternator (I'm not sure what my '10 Outlander has). At 12V that's 1440W of power. So the stereo at max power could draw a full 650W and still leave almost 800W available for other electric components. Sure, that's not really a ton of leftover power but it should be plenty for lights & wipers. Might not leave much for recharging the battery. But then that's if you were running the stereo at full power all the time, which no one with any hearing left would do
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    and that's worse if you're running the stereo with the engine shut off. The alternator helps keep the battery charged when the engine's running.

Once again, the '08 Lancer GTS 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo with 9-speakers including a 10-inch subwoofer rocks big-time. I thoroughly enjoy it and wouldn't want or need to change it at all. I am so glad I listened to rockylee and went for the Lancer GTS. I think Mitsu hit the nail on the head with this sedan's design.

I will tell you this, too. I am staying in the Mitsubishi family of automobiles. I am sold on their solid product and love their styling and Warranty, too.

The 650 watt rating is peak power. Most of the time (except for 0.1-second bass peaks) it will be running 50 watts or less (and probably MUCH less unless you really have it cranked up to 10 all the time). This is true of all car stereos, which are advertised for peak power, not RMS power.

I have heard the Rockford Fosgate in the Nissans and think it sounds pretty good, although a little muddy where the over-jacked lows cover everything else up. I have to assume the RF in the Mitsubishis sounds just as good.

iluv, is there ANY Mitsubishi model besides the i-MIEV a Mitsu fan like you is interested in owning in the future, if BYD doesn't get you as a customer first?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I have read reports of Mitsubishi putting out 5 new "green" machines by 2013. They are talking of putting out a hybrid Lancer in the next 3 years. I am interested in that one as well the new i-MiEV.

• asaasa Member Posts: 359
    It's interesting that Mitsubishi chose RVR, as that name was previously used in Asian markets for the wonderful little Expo mini-minivan as it was known in North America. The RVR/Expo/Plymouth Vista was introduced in '92, but was soon dropped in North America. Too bad, because we drove our favorite li'l 5-Speed Expo LRV Sport for 240,000 Miles and averaged 32 MPG over its life. We're thrilled that Mitsubishi has plans to introduce a responsibly sized crossover in the U.S.. It looks like it'll match up with the Hyundai Tucson capacity-wise.

Sure hope that offer it with a manual tranny for the fun and durability factor -- they're hard to find in anything these days and a manual tranny might invite niche sales and help differentiate it from everything else out there.

I agree with you that RVR doesn't resonate very well. I like your 'Colt Sportback' suggestion -- very cool!
    It's possible the Nissan you listened in wasn't tuned particularly well. When I got my Outlander the bass was turned up way too high, for instance. Balanced levels give it a far more appealing sound stage.

And I don't think I've had mine to full volume/power yet. It would be uncomfortably loud inside the car. Now, if we were tailgating or otherwise using it to provide sound for a party outside the vehicle, that I could see. Or maybe jamming while the windows are down, but it'll be a few months before the weather allows that.
    5 new "green" vehicles out from Mitsubishi by 2013.

Mitsubishi PX-MiEV

I am going to research this one a lot, too, and see if it might be something I'd be interested in. Certainly has a cabin-full of interior features and creature comforts.

Not sure what the Eclipse numbers are but at least Mitsu moved more units overall this month...

Mitsubishi Motors Ends The Year With Positive Sales Momentum

Tue, Jan 05, 2010 - CYPRESS, Calif.
    Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced December 2009 sales of 4,355, an increase of 49 percent over November.

"The improvement in December sales validates our renewed strategies and tactics," said Shinichi Kurihara, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America. "The input provided by our dealers’ National Advisory Board has been instrumental in guiding our revised sales plans and actions, and will continue to do so as we collaborate to extend this sales momentum."

December highlights included:

Every Mitsubishi model showed an increase in sales compared to the prior month (November 2009).

Lancer sales were up 13.9 percent compared to the prior month and up 16.9 percent compare to December 2008.

Outlander sales were up 81 percent compared to last month. It was Outlander’s third highest monthly sales total in 2009, and sales were up 11.4 percent compared to December 2008.

December was Galant’s second best sales month of 2009, up 162 percent compared to last month and up 32 percent compared to December of 2008.

Endeavor sales were up 15.9 percent compared to the prior month.

Lancer Sportback sales were up 5.8 percent compared to the prior month.

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 420 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...Not sure what the Eclipse numbers are..."

They are a closely guarded state secret. :P

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/mitsubishi_maufacturing_future_100113/

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/16/mitsubishi-ponders-triton-pickup-production-i- - - n-states/

They may bring in their Triton pickup (another loser) that's sold in southeast Asia, to boost production.

Mitsubishi built 18,501 vehicles at Normal, IL in 2009. The plant’s website lists an annual capacity of 135,000 units under “current conditions.” Normal’s capacity was 240,000 units when Mitsubishi and former joint-venture partner Chrysler Corp. both manufactured at the facility.

So, does anyone think this factory will stay open? Not me.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think it was Roger Penske who was saying there is way too much capacity here. This would be a bummer in terms of lost jobs.
  • mitsfanmitsfan Member Posts: 16
    They really don't have the volume of sales to consider to invest the cost to retooling a whole plant just for one truck model? 50,000 to 60,000 trucks made and then sold for the Normal IL Plant would be impossible, that is just to break even. They have to be LOSING money everyday right now with the amount of cars produced and sold at the Normal Plant.

I think they will be closed very very soon.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a1iwfjqV6ZAA

There are problems here:

“Where the whole thing may break down is that Mitsubishi needs cash and Peugeot doesn’t have it,” said Philippe Houchois, a London-based UBS AG analyst.

Bob
    Mistu Motors may not have enough cash but the Mitsu conglomerate does.
    that's the point with Mitsubishi. The parent Company does have perty deep pockets. Or so I have read. How deep, we shall see. Hopefully sales will pick up. I do love my Mitsu.

Mitsu fans. Lowering the 2013 release prices on their new all-electric i-MiEV to $22,000. Here's the documentation.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1041791_mitsubishi-increasing-production-of-- - i-miev-intends-to-drop-price-to-22000-by-2013#comments

This and their proposed Lancer GTS Hybrid are now my solid two front-runners to buy next. Around 2013, perhaps? ;)

Oh, I'm just buying one of them. Just in case y'all thought I meant both of 'em!

i-Miev wouldn't work for us. Even as a second car we need something with good range. But a Lancer hybrid might make for a fine replacement for my wife's Elantra in a couple of years.
    yeah, really, the Lancer Hybrid holds a bit of an edge for me, over the i-MiEV. Because of the range. Plus, I am quite a bit more enamored with the Lancer GTS body than the novelty-inducing feelings I get when I gander longingly at the i-MiEV.

What will help determine what we're going to do will be the way the re-charging infrastructure gets built up here in Arizona. If it's really slow to develop (actually Nissan is heavily investing in re-charging infrastructure for the Tucson-Phoenix corrider just NW of us here in Willcox, AZ and the area is ripe to be invested in all-electric automotive technology, in my view) the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid would be my choice hands down. I have pretty much decided to stay in the Mitsubishi family of vehicles come next buy time. :)

I can see myself fartin' around in one of these things. I can...I really can!

Until EV range & charge time problems are resolved I don't think I could consider one. Now, something like the Chevy Volt makes a lot of sense to me. 40ish miles of EV then a small (1.4L) gas engine to generate power to maintain & give range. Plug in to recharge. My daily commute is 46 miles round trip so I'd be using gas for only 6 miles a day.

And because the bulk of the charging would be done at night when power demand is less, no electric infrastructure buildout is necessary.

Too bad it isn't due out until November and will only start with availability in a handful of states. Hopefully it - and competitors - will be available in my area by the time we're in the market for our next car.
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/mitsubishi_return_sales_100125/

Think it will happen? They sold just under 53,986 last year, and 345,111 at their peak in 2002.

Bob
    Outlander & Lancer should do well given their current designs, but if Mitsu really wants a sales increase they need to come out with an all-new Galant. Said Galant would need something that gives it an advantage over the competition, and as much as I like it the RF sound system it isn't going to be a killer feature in the family sedan market. Economy, safety, and spaciousness are places where they should try to excel (much as Hyundai has done - and been successful with - in the Sonata).

Endeavor & Eclipse aren't going to be significant players. Endeavor because the market for larger SUVs is in decline. Eclipse because sports coupes are never sales leaders and there is now competition that wasn't there before - Altima coupe for instance.

iMiEV may help but Americans have range anxiety so no EV with a sub-200 mile range is going to go beyond niche status in the next few years.

The new CUV that slots under the Outlander may do well but I just don't know enough to speculate.

One thing they will also need to do is advertise more than one vehicle at a time.
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100126/ANE/301269991/-1

PARIS/TOKYO (Reuters) – Mitsubishi Motors Corp. said talks to deepen ties with PSA/Peugeot-Citroen were continuing, but played down expectations of a capital alliance after a report that those talks had stalled.

French daily Les Echos reported in its Tuesday edition that PSA's CEO Philippe Varin was preparing investors for a possible failure of the talks because the partners could not agree on a price.

"We continue to hold wide-ranging talks over an expanded partnership," Mitsubishi Motors President Osamu Masuko told reporters in Saitama, near Tokyo, where the carmaker handed over 10 of its MiEV electric cars to the city on Tuesday.

"As a result of that, a capital alliance is possible", Masuko said, but added it was not central to the discussions.

Last month, the two groups announced the start of talks to form a strategic partnership to build on their existing project-based ties such as SUVs and electric cars, with Mitsubishi saying a capital alliance could be part of that.

PSA plans $3.3B stake, report says

The Nikkei business daily said at the time that PSA could take a 30-50 percent stake in Mitsubishi Motors for up to 300 billion yen ($3.3 billion).

Failure to clinch an equity tie-up would be a blow to Mitsubishi Motors, which is Japan's weakest automaker and is said by analysts to need a strategic partner to survive in an increasingly competitive industry.

PSA is Europe's second-biggest carmaker behind Volkswagen. It faces pressure from domestic rival Renault SA, which is looking to boost its synergies with partner Nissan Motor Co.

On Monday, PSA launched a new car model, the Peugeot 408, in China as it aims to boost sales there.

Les Echos said price was the sticking point in the broader negotiations to deepen the Mitsubishi/PSA alliance, without saying where it obtained the information.

Peugeot family fears

Mitsubishi has a better market valuation than its French counterpart, and the Peugeot family, which owns 30 percent of PSA, does not want to overpay for its share in the Japanese firm or lose control of PSA with an unfavorable share exchange, the paper said.

"I don't decide the share price -- the market does," Masuko said, calling the newspaper report "rubbish."

A Paris-based trader said: "It sounds like Peugeot doesn't want to overpay for a stake in Mitsubishi, nor lose control of the company through an unfavorable share swap. We think the market will be disappointed if talks broke off.”

Bob
    and Mitsu are two automakers that will be gone by 2020 (or well before) I think, swallowed up by a larger fish.

• mitsfanmitsfan Member Posts: 16
    It looks like Mitsubishi is putting this false statement out about claiming 100,000 projected units to be sold in the future,a day before the Peugeot talks start falling apart is published, just to help soften the blow.

This report really does not even show HOW they will even increase sales. The article came out probably for this reason listed

“We’ve assured (our dealers) we’re not leaving the North American market,” Koenig says. “That’s probably their biggest fear, because they’re reading about it in various journals.”

You break down the sales per month and the amount of dealers it has to be around 6 car a month per dealer. I can't see any dealer staying open very long with that volume.
    The auto maker is hoping this new range of product will attract buyers from defunct U.S. brands, such as Pontiac. Kurihara sees Pontiac’s brand image similar to Mitsubishi’s, as both have a youthful and sporty-driving slant.

The CEO says he intends to make sure Mitsubishi’s image maintains its appeal “to the younger people…that’s my goal.”

Kurihara says the average age of the Lancer and Outlander compact lineup is 35, relatively young for the mature U.S. market.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/mitsubishi_return_sales_100125/

They mention the Lancer and Outlander as highlights to improve sales, much as they did months after I bought my '08 Lancer GTS, in March of 2007. The i as an ICE could sell OK. I'm more interested in them bringing the new Colt over here. And I do like the new larger-than-Outlander PX-MiEV hybrid SUV they're building, too.

I don't particularly care for the Lancer Sportback, though, however, I haven't really given the car a chance. I haven't seen a live one yet, for instance. I am pulling for Mitsubishi, I do love my '08 Lancer GTS and plan some day to buy another Mitsubishi of some kind.

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    I purchased a new Lancer Sportback in October. It was the first one the dealership had sold. they had two on the lot - a black Ralliart and a silver GTS - I drove the Ralliart and it is definitely a kick in the [non-permissible content removed]. I loved it but could not justify the primo fuel. The silver GTS had a nav package I did not want so I had them get me a base model white one from a dealer in Chicago. Of course as you know the base GTS has about everything you need.

I love this car! It's basically identical performance-wise to your Lancer sedan (this has the 2.4 though) so the handling is the same, same interior, paddles, etc..I wasn't sold on the Sportback either until I saw it in the flesh. Some cars are just like that I guess. I have not seen another one on the road yet but I get plenty of looks and have had several people walk up to me in parking lots and ask me about it, one guy was driving a black GTS Lancer sedan and pulled up beside me at Sams Club to check it out. There is an undeniable "Euro" vibe in this design that is very attractive and hard to define in words, but it is there. After seeing the pics of the new Outlander Sport coming to the U.S this fall I can see why Mitsu sloped the back on this hatch. This GTS has a sleeker look while the smaller Outlander will have a more practical squared off look with more stowage capability. The interior controls and ergonomics are almost identical to our 2008 Outlander as well so my wife can switch easily from one to the other. We are averaging 28-30 mpg with mixed driving so I am quite pleased with that as well. Mitsubishi's seem to get better mileage after an extended break in period.

Far as I'm concerned, anyone looking for an affordable, fun hatch should take a peek at the Sportback. it would be nice if Mitsu could advertise them more but right now I love having the only one around. I dig pulling up next to some $60,000 BMW and having the driver look over and furrow his brow.

The only after-market item I got from the dealer were the black plastic formed mud guards and I would definitely recommend those as they are very functional as well as making the car look even nicer. I may spring for the blacked out front grille package eventually but I would like to see the kit first. I think that kit is for any Lancer variant but apparently is a pretty new offering. If anyone out there has had one installed I would appreciate any feedback since my dealer had not had any experience with them yet. I'm guessing it replaces the colored front fascia bar with a black grille to mimic the Ralliart look, which I like quite a bit.

Take one of these for a spin, you will love it.
    now that is news I can use. Good to hear from someone who actually owns a Lancer Sportback. This is the type of car model that one would need to see in person, going from the memory of pics of the car I've seen. I should try a test drive in one.

I find this future SUV from Mitsubishi interesting and kind of intriguing. I could benefit from a test drive in one of these!

Mitsubishi PX-MiEV

It is boxy looking but to me it's an interesting kind of box. And look at those low-slung side mirrors!

Congrats on your purchase elgatoloco. I'm with you, I like the Sportback quite a bit. I don't recall seeing any type of advertisement (other than the internet) for the Sportback.
    Mike, I really appreciate the pics but could you either just post links to them or downsize them so they don't mess up the text formatting? It's really a fault of the Edmund's forum software but we all have to live with it.

As I've said before EVs like the i-MiEV and others with ranges of 100 miles or less may sell initially but will quickly become minor niche vehicles as most people have range anxiety.

The Triton looks interesting but I would hope for a style face lift if they bring it to the US.
    Just sent an email to the host about the problem I caused when posting #1116. My bad, I have no idea of how I did it nor do I know how to un-do it.
    No biggie, our software doesn't handle big graphics gracefully.

If you can tweak your image link and put height=400 width=600" in there before the right bracket, sometimes that works.