Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    post the pic in to your MySpace page pictures portion and see if you can paste it from there over here. steve, am I missing something here? Isn't that something that could help with this problem?

Because it automatically corrects the sizing problem, right?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, good suggestion, that works.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced January 2010 sales of 4,170, a slight decrease (4 percent) from December sales.

"We were able to maintain our December sales momentum," said Shinichi Kurihara, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America. Mitsubishi's December sales showed a 49 percent increase from November.

“We're encouraged by the early sales pace of Outlander GT and are hopeful for improved results in February with the help of a more aggressive national television campaign,” Kurihara added.

January highlights included:

Galant sales were up 22 percent compared to January 2009
    Endeavor sales were up 128 percent compared to January 2009 and up 145 percent compared to the prior month (December 2009).
    Outlander sales were virtually even with sales of January 2009.
  • authurdentauthurdent Member Posts: 82
    After a long while researching cars, the Sportback seemed ideal over most makes (aside from Mazda?) for performance and utility. Then I took the test drive. The car handled quite well, and the turning radius was wonderful, but visibility was terrible. So with way too little research, wife and I hopped into an Outlander XLS AWD. Footprint isn't much larger, but definitely taller, and MUCH better visibility. With a big GULP, we went for the XLS. Some 3 weeks later, I think we made a good decision for utility, but we surely get hit at the pump. Progressively we've lost at the pump with each new car, from Colt to Mirage to Outlander. And I know this is "winter-talk," but its nice to have AWD and heated seats. Sure hope we get enough utility to justify our new beast!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Grab a towel, Mr. Dent. :)

I think in the end you'll find the extra space makes up for the decrease in MPG. I really like the taller cabin and the seating makes it easier for my in-laws to get in & out of the cabin. They have trouble with car-height vehicles.

The large mirrors do a good job of compensating for the height and other things that limit visibility in an SUV. Mine has the backup camera which I also find very useful; it makes backing into parking space a breeze.

MPG-wise you're losing 2 highway & 4 city from the Lancer Sportback w/CVT. That is a hit but at least you can use regular since Premium is only recommended; not required (I know the Lancer also specifies regular; I'm just pointing out the Outlander doesn't need premium). Also, your XLS is new; MPG traditionally improves after 3-5,000 miles and the powertrain is fully broken in.

I bought a GT in December and have 1300 miles on it so far. I've found the best MPG seems to be around 45-50 MPH. When I can stay at that speed the miles-to-empty gauge tends to lengthen v. straight neighborhood/local driving which is more stop-n-go and the speed limits are between 35-40. I drove to work on Monday with an estimated range of 170 miles. When I got home some 46 miles later the estimated range was up to 230. So range improved while gallons in the tank dropped by about 2.

Funny, it seems to prefer moderate acceleration v. light WRT economy.

I've gotten 19.8 MPG lifetime so far and that's with the S-AWC system, crappy winter blend gas, long warmups, the newness of the engine, sitting idle while playing with the RF sound system, etc. I'm confident that that will rise to 22-23 MPG in summer.

My wife thinks the bun warmers are one of the best features, especially since they extend to the lower back. And the AWD has come in handy several times already.

How is your XLS optioned? I tend to go for the toys so mine has everything but the rear entertainment system.

There are a couple of threads that include the Outlander here. Most popular are the Outlander v. Forester thread and the Outlander thread itself. There are others but those see the most comments.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Hey fushigi. The 'laws, 'rents and other fine friends were considered when testing back seats. The Sportback was quite acceptable, but the Outback is far more hospitable for entry, legbend and knee space. After some 20 years of Mitsubishis, we've come to expect essentials like reliability and comfortable seats. Also know that mpg has always been better than advertised, and gets better over time, but coming from a Mirage that got upwards of 37 hwy will take some getting use to. The innards are just fine and logically positioned, even that somewhat flimsy compartment on dash top (might best hold the Kleenex for those sad moments at the pump!).

Our XLS is a 2009 leftover, and I think we got a good price ($25k) for everything but Navi, which was the ONE item I really didn't want. Also didn't care about RF, but we've come to enjoy the robust sound system. At first I wasn't so crazy about FASTkey, but the feature has grown on me, to the point where I expect all locks to open automatically!

I did like many of the 2010 GT upgrades (shift points, neutral idle), but the one 2010 Outback (XLS?) we tried felt strange (dragging?), whereas the 2009 felt quick and snappy. Probably just that unit. Also, I do prefer the 2009 nose, over the EVO-lookalike.

And verses most competitors, I can fit many more towels in the generous cargo hold!
    that I'm also in the Mitsubishi "family". My 2008 Lancer GTS has been a great car to drive. Reliable, great handling, highway mpg of 32 and city 23. I have the automatic CVT tranny and the 2.0L 152-horse 4-cylinder. The thing I am enjoying about your comments is that your view of your new 2010 Outlanders is really quite good...I'm considering taking a look at the new SUV Mitsubishi is developing right now.

Mitsubishi PX-MiEV

This new tad-larger-than-an-Outlander SUV is going to be a gas-electric hybrid, which interests me quite a bit. They're also more than likely going to build a Lancer GTS Hybrid, and, honestly, that would probably be the rig I'd trade my ICE Lancer GTS in for.

But, if all-electric vehicle range is going to be around 80-150 miles, excepting for BYD and the 240 mile range they say their new e6 is capable of, the Mitsubishi PX-MiEV, with a range of what would probably be more like 300-400 miles...well that is looking pretty good.

It will be hard to not get another Lancer GTS, though. There's probably where my automotive future really is. Whether it be a Hybrid Lancer GTS, all-electric Lancer GTS or even, heaven forbid, another ICE Lancer GTS!

I would hope they change the styling before releasing it for production. I'm not a fan of the narrow side windows. Besides reduced visibility the window sill on the inside is very likely too high to act as an elbow rest. And aesthetically they don't always look good to me. The narrow windows on the pic lead to side panels that are large & plain; not really pleasant to look at IMO.

I actually think GM has it right with the Volt; a 40 or so mile all-electric range satisfies most daily driving needs and the gas range extender satisfies the rest. For instance my commute is 46 miles round trip so in something like the Volt I'd only burn gas for 6 miles. 80+ miles would only be needed for a pure EV and not a hybrid or car with a range extender.

The deal killer for a pure EV is while a 200 (or whatever) mile range sounds like you could take it on trips, in reality you couldn't without a massive infrastructure buildout. You'd need either swappable batteries and suitable setups at "gas" stations to do it or you'd need massively high voltage & amperage charging stations in order to dump power into the batteries fast enough to achieve a recharge time similar to how long it takes to gas up. Recharging at night - what the Volt, upcoming Prius plug-in, and other EVs mostly prefer - allows for safer charging over 4+ hours.

The Volt's modular design - EV propulsion w/gas engine that does nothing but maintain battery state - is also good in that the gas engine can be replaced with diesel, a fuel cell, or just another battery to give other options in the future. It's adaptable to whatever tech that comes along and is suitable for maintaining the primary propulsion batteries.

All that said, I am a big fan of hybrid technology and look forward to Mitsu's offerings. I just hope they aren't too late to the game since it seems everyone who doesn't have hybrids out already has them planned for the next 12-18 months.

(And what's with Nissan? The Altima Hybrid has been out since 2007 yet still hasn't seen a national release.)
    that's weird about Nissan and their Altima Hybrid. I know, I've seen SEMA shots of their Altima Hybrid, too, and the car looks hot. They would sell relatively well.

I wonder if Nissan's hung up about a part of the production on the car that they don't just feel comfortable about putting the car out like it is, or something. That makes me really curious, too.

Yep, I love the hybrid tech., too. I'm looking at getting a Hybrid Lancer GTS or a hybrid PX-MiEV next. That's how it looks today, anyway. Things can and do change. :)

My wife will be next for a new car in a couple of years once her '01 Elantra is 10-11 years old. It probably still won't have 100K miles on it as her commute is only about 7 miles a day and right now the Outlander is getting most of the non-work driving since it has the AWC, heated seats, and other goodies. In summer we will probably switch to the Elantra getting most non-work driving since it gets better economy.

The Elantra has been a very good car with only one electrical repair needed (control panel for rear defrost went at 50-some K miles). She still likes it a lot and will not want anything larger. A Lancer would be a possibility as would something else that's small & economical. But that's all I know about her desires (ahem .. WRT cars) so far. Plenty of time to fill in the blanks. Hopefully there will be more & better hybrids out by the time she's ready.

I'm trying to decide if I'll go to the Chicago Auto Show here in a week or so. It'd be fun to gawk at the new stuff but since I'm not truly in the market I don't know if I want the hassle. Mitsu was giving out tickets yesterday (FaceBook contest); not sure if I won or not. I'll definitely go if I get tickets for free. (Hey, I have car payments again .. gotta watch the budget!)
    Since we tend to keep cars for 7-10 years, I'm not so sure about hybrids. As I understand, you need to replace the battery(ies) after 6-8 years for $6000 to $8000. I might be way off, but I would not want to make that sort of investment in an old car.

Haven't had to gas up the Outlander yet, but not looking forward to the event. On the plus side, we drive so little (groceries, etc) that we might be able to stick to one tank per month. So glad I've been able to bike to work for 20 some years!
    Re: Hybrid batteries. The cost depends on several factors. For a pure EV, $6K and up is likely for the moment, but for a traditional hybrid it's more like $1-3K and they should be good for close to 120-150K miles. One good thing is they fail gracefully by simply holding less charge over time instead of catastrophically and leaving you stranded.

The Volt, which I mentioned earlier, factors in the charge degradation over time by oversizing the battery pack. While rated for 40 miles all-electric range (AER), it's actually good for about 80 miles AER. It only uses the charge between 30 & 80% to provide 40 miles of range. But by specing 40 and adjusting charge points over the life of the battery (charging higher than 80% and discharging lower than 30%) by 150K miles it will still deliver 40 miles AER.

Other EVs like the Nissan Leaf don't do that so owners will see a distance reduction over time. It will be interesting to see how customer satisfaction goes over time.

Anyway, as hybrids & EVs gain more and more traction with the public, pardon the pun, the mass production costs should drive prices down over time. So far there just haven't been enough on the road to make a difference.
    EV's and hybrids.

I know this is a Mitsubishi forum, but, what do you guys think about the new all-electric vehicle from BYD of China called the e6? It's supposed to get 250 miles on one charge. Seats 5 comfortably, goes 99mph and 0-60 in 8 seconds.

Yep, this is the company that Warren Buffett invested in and he now owns some 10% of BYD. They are a battery maker and they really hype their ferrous batteries as the next best thing in automotive-drive batteries.

Price of the new e6? Umm...somewhere around $40,000. My question to anyone is, do you trust this car? Do you really believe it will go 250 miles on one charge?

Yes, it will come with an quick-charger, it may cost a titch extra for the super-duper charge-it-up-real-fast charger, not sure on this vehicle how BYD is gonna handle that. What'cha'all think about it?

Can't say I've read much about the BYD EV. I wouldn't trust any new brand until they've proven themselves capable of being successful in the US market. That means solid safety scores, decent dealer network, a multi-year history of reliability in my region - Chicagoland - since we have both cold winters and hot summers, etc. And sorry, but to take recent events into account for a Chinese manufacturer I want proof there weren't any toxic materials used that I'd be exposed to.

Re: Batteries: There are limits to how quickly batteries can accept energy. Even if they have some miraculous 20 minute quick charger I wonder what that would do to battery life. It would produce tons of waste heat. Just try quick charging a pair of AAs in 30 minutes; they're almost hot to the touch; now multiple that by several hundred cells for an automotive battery pack. Also, such a charger still wouldn't work on the road as you'd need an infrastructure to provide them or it would have to be portable so you could just carry it with you. And if it was portable you'd need a high-voltage socket to plug it into - 480V at high amperage. A 30 amp 120V circuit only provides 3600 watts at 100% efficiency (which nothing has). A 40 amp 240V circuit does a lot better at 9600 watts but even then you're talking hours to recharge since you need to dump what, 40+KW into the battery pack.

Bringing Mitsu into this, the i-MiEV has the same problem. All pure EVs do. The answers are either a battery-swap infrastructure (which has lots of problems of its own) or acknowledging that the current crop of EVs simply aren't meant for long trips.
    Mitsubishi did a ticket giveaway to the Chicago Auto Show via their FaceBook page. Happily, I won a pair of tickets so I'll be taking my wife to the show, probably on Wednesday the 17th.

Thanks, Mitsubishi!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    I heard the end of a story on CNN yesterday. It seems a middle aged man was arrested for stealing young men's shoes from a frat house along with pictures of the young men. When they tracked him to his house they found hundreds of men's shoes. When the reporter asked the police what the guy was doing with the shoes the police spokesman chuckled "Nothing you'd want to put on the air". :surprise:

They reason they were able to track him was because he was driving a bright yellow Mitsubishi Eclipse. The car was featured prominently in the video.

I wonder if Mitsu set this up to get its' car on the news. :confuse:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• mitsfanmitsfan Member Posts: 16
    I am wondering if the Toyota issues could help Mitsubishi sales or hurt them ?

If they keep this in the news too long they may start referencing what happen to Mitsubishi back in 2004 when they covered up recall and defect data.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    edited February 2010
    edited February 2010
    some of that "menacing jet-fighter-inspired look" that my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has, I'll give you that.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red

Oh, I love that look and I love this car. It is what I want and it is what I have. I envy no one else's car. Do you realize how nice of a thing that is to have? :blush:

• carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    yes sir they are sexy [non-permissible content removed] cars ....tis a shame no one buys them though i hope their sales increase
    edited March 2010
    Mitsubishi shutters Ralliart Performance division

Bad news for Mitsubishi rally geeks: The automaker announced it will shutter its Ralliart motorsports operations and permanently close the division on April 1, 2010.

The Japanese division is well known for its motorsport activities, primarily those pertaining to rally racing. It also is a major developer and producer of performance parts for vehicles like the famed Lancer Evolution.

A year after its establishment in 1984, Mitsubishi licensed the Ralliart name for use throughout various world markets. The remaining 11 affiliated licensed companies will continue to produce Ralliart-badged vehicles. From what our source at Mitsubishi says, the U.S. will continue to offer Ralliart-badged models, like the turbocharged Lancer Ralliart.

Mitsubishi says the closure of Ralliart is largely a result of the poor economic climate.

Here's the official release from Mitsubishi:

Partial Cease of Business Activities along with Ralliart Inc's Business Scale Down
    Ralliart Inc (President Masao Taguchi) has announced as follows.

Dear all of our customers ,

First of all, we much appreciate for your usual patronage to our company.

Our company have done the various activities relating motorsport with the support of many people since the establishment in April,1984 so far. However, because of the sudden change of economy situation since the year before last, the business circumstance surrounding our company radically became worse and so, this time we have reached the conclusion that we Ralliart Inc., would scale down our business activities as of the end of March 2010.

Along with the scale down of our business activities this time, we would cease the following business and operation which we have done so far. We would like to express our sincere apology to all of customers though we would make you much inconveniences.

Meanwhile, we wish you a continuous support to Ralliart family and entrants driving Mitsubishi cars who play an active part all over the world.

Items which would cease our business and operation along with our business scale down;
    1. Support to motorsport customers (Support to the participation, Technical Support, and Awarding of Mitsubishi/Ralliart Driver of the Year)

2. New Planning, Development and Merchandize of Ralliart products (Except FIA VO parts)*1

3. Information of new products and dispatching motorsport information(at web):*2

*1 FIA VO parts development and those application work shall be done by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation as it is.
    *2 FIA Group-N information shall be open at the web site of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.

Date of the cease: 1st April, 2010"

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6651582/news/mitubishi-shutters-ralliart-perform- ance-division/index.html
    Here's the reason

An outdated, ridiculous law may prevent Mitsubishi from importing vehicles to the U.S. The company would like to bring its compact truck, the Triton and Delica cargo van to the states.

Back in the 1960s, U.S. chickens were subject to a steep import tax in France and Germany. In return, the U.S. struck back with a 25-percent tax on imported pickup trucks and commercial vans, effective for all nations. The excessive tax makes all companies importing these types of vehicles much less competitive than similar American-built vehicles. This tax is the reason that many foreign brands have moved manufacturing facilities here, avoiding the fees.

Mitsubishi would like to increase its variety offered in the states, but these types of roadblocks make that task a huge undertaking. Its Delica, a small cargo van currently sold only in Japan, would compete with the likes of the Ford Transit Connect. For its small truck, Mitsubishi offers the Triton, which compares to a Toyota Tacoma.

Mitsubishi is trying to get creative on how it can import the vehicles. "It's very difficult, but we're thinking of different ideas," says Mitsubishi North American CEO Shin Kurihara.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6582838/news/will-mitsubishi-bring-its-compact-t- ruck-and-cargo-van-here/index.html
    Looks like the Mitsubishi -Peugeot Merger is all but dead.

This was on the Peugeot website

Press release

03/03/2010

PSA Peugeot Citroën and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation

Philippe Varin, CEO of PSA Peugeot Citroën and Osamu Masuko, President of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation have met in Geneva on March 2nd, on the occasion of the Motor Show.

They confirmed the intent to broaden the current successful cooperations of the two companies.

They also concluded that a capitalistic alliance was not appropriate in the current circumstances.
    edited March 2010
    That's too bad. The tie-up still makes sense though, even if they won't be one company.
    edited March 2010
    but my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is one awesome vehicle. Mitsubishi really hit the styling button right on the mark with this car. And it drives as solid as a rock, too. Great 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty. Mitsubishi is gonna be hard to stray from at all in future purchases.

I thought Kia at one time was my carmaker. Then I discovered Mitsubishi. Truth be that.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Anyone have Mitsu's sales for February?
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2010
    The new Outlander RVR/ASX/Sport enjoyed a refreshing positive reaction in its home turf during its introduction. Mitsubishi hoped to sell just 1500 units every month but has received more than 5000 orders already. The company started selling the vehicle in Japan last February 17. Hard to believe but those 5169 units were more than what Mitsu sold here in February this year. Here's hoping that MMNA will be successful in impressing U.S. buyers to purchase this and duplicate what they have achieved in the Japanese market.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6633353/news/2011-mitsubishi-asx-exceed-first-mo- nth-sales-goal-with-5000-orders/index.html
    You beat me to it. Mitsu posted the MotorTrend version of the same article on FaceBook: http://wot.motortrend.com/6654525/auto-news/sales-hit-mitsubishi-gets-over-5000-- orders-for-outlander-sport-in-japan/index.html
    Sales increased for March. 5434 cars sold

Mitsubishi Motors Reports Sales Increase Of More Than 17 Percent
    Thu, Apr 01, 2010 - CYPRESS, Calif. - Add to Basket Remove from Basket printer friendly Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced its highest monthly sales total since August. March 2010 sales of 5,434, were a 17.6 percent increase over March 2009, and Mitsubishi's second highest monthly total since October 2008.

"The increases spread across virtually our entire product portfolio," said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara, "We're confident that as American customers return to the automotive marketplace they are definitely going to consider our brand."

Kurihara added, "We're launching our Dare To Compare national sales event today, so we're confident we can continue this momentum into the Spring."

March highlights included:

•March sales increased 35 percent compared to the prior month (February 2010).
    •Lancer sales increased 47 percent from the prior month. It was the highest month for Lancer sales since August 2009.
    •March was the second best month for Lancer Sportback sales since its introduction in August 2009.
    •Galant sales were nearly three times the sales of the prior year (March 2009) and up 78 percent from February.
    •Outlander sales were up 31 percent compared to the prior year. March was the second best month of Outlander sales in nearly two years.
    •Endeavor sales were up 98 percent compared to March 2009.
    •Year to date sales of vehicles manufactured at MMNA's U.S. factory in Normal, Illinois, are up 12 percent. (Galant, Endeavor, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder)
    Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 400 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
    for Mitsubishi fans! Wow, that's really impressive. Keep up the increased sales now, month over month!

• cascadiocascadio Member Posts: 3
    I guess I'm partly responsible for Mitsu's major sales increase. I just bought a new Lancer Sportback plus an Outlander for the wife!
    edited April 2010
    indeed you are, man. But that's just fine.

Man, my wife and I just got caught up in a bad snowstorm on Wednesday. Nasty, blowing wind, snow and ice. My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' front wheelwells were filled solid with ice. I had to keep getting out and scraping the ice off of the windshield wipers. The car handled the snow like a champ, it really did.

I have a job offer coming in from a NE Nevada hospital and my wife and I will be moving up there from SE Arizona as soon as I get my Nevada Respiratory Therapy license sent to me. It is a wide open land, Nevada. I couldn't believe how much open land is there. It's basically just Las Vegas and Reno that most people know about and the rest of the state is open for cattle ranching and mining!

I'm going to Elko, NV. It's mining that's the big employer there.

Hey, Great Basin country. I really like those wide open spaces. Take 225 north and then over to Boise and you can buy me lunch (and show me your new Kizashi?).

Then you can pop down 95 to Winnemucca and 4 lane it home for a nice circle tour. :shades:
    Congrats on your pair of tri-diamonds.

I had a 99 Galant for almost 11 years before moving to a loaded Outlander GT this past December. Loving it so far.

My wife won't be due for a new car for another year or two. She prefers compacts so the contenders include the Cruze and Lancer so far; other compacts got dropped as they lack knee airbags. She was in an accident years before we met & had her knees hit the lower dash so the knee airbag, once she heard of it, became a must-have.

The Outlander Sport might be considered as well.
    edited April 2010
    yep, and the Great Basin is really, really wide open! Lots of cattle roaming the land. And as one of my future workmates at Northeastern Nevada Regional Medical Center said, wild horses abound in Nevada.

Elko is desolate, but I think my wife and I will like it.

Hey, Great Basin country. I really like those wide open spaces. Take 225 north and then over to Boise and you can buy me lunch (and show me your new Kizashi?).

Then you can pop down 95 to Winnemucca and 4 lane it home for a nice circle tour

And I will come to Boise to get my what will probably be one of Suzuki new 2011 Kizashi Sport's. See here.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100331/CARREVIEWS/100339967

I need to see one of those Sport's in Platinum Silver Metallic. The Boise Suzuki store is only 191 miles away.

The Nevada license system will take about 6 weeks to deliver my RT license. :sick: Poop.

Anyhow, steve, I will look ya up if I can run from my wife...I...mean convince my wife nicely that we need a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport in Platinum Silver Metallic and 6-speed transmission. Housing is expensive in Elko, NV. Sheesh. The demand for housing from the miners drives the housing prices up there.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport

steve, do ya like double cheesburgers from Burger King? :shades:

edited April 2010
    Oh c'mon, you can get factory food anywhere. We have real cheeseburgers here.
    I'll buy ya one of those. That cheesburger looks like one of those I saw on TV once where if you can eat the whole burger it's free. Looks pretty appetizing, actually.

edited April 2010
    to the story, it appears it is that situation completely. Eat the burger and tots and milkshake and you'll get the whole lot for free! Whoa, that guy looks really sick in that picture, too. Wonder why.

steve, I promise to move my 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport enthusiasm over to the 'Suzuki-It's Future in the US-Good or Dismal' thread, soon. Coming to a good Edmunds thread of yours soon.

edited April 2010
    Definitely go for the 6 speed manual. :shades:

So, a bit less than 5,500 Mitsus sold in March. Nice percentage jump, but is it enough to keep the dealers going?

One thing that looks ok is the mpg of the Lancer and the Outlander. The Outlander Sport has pretty decent highway mpg of 31. They may have to tweak 'em all up a bit to meet new CAFE rules coming down the pike though. We're talking almost 38 mpg for cars and almost 29 mpg for trucks by 2016 (assuming the crossovers are trucks, they're golden there).
    edited April 2010
    I am of the opinion that both Mitsubishi and Suzuki are going to stay in the U.S. Execs from both companies have gone on record saying they're gonna stay.

I think both will. And between Kia, Mitsubishi and Suzuki I have found automotive happiness. The fact that I used to defend Kia's honor for years on Edmunds yet strayed in 2007 and traded our 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 in on a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS shows I'm not a brand snob by any means. I will stray, and Suzuki's new Kizashi Sport due to dealers in August of 2011(it'll be here before you know it), has me thinking a first time Suzuki purchase.

I first looked at Kizashi's at Salazar Kia in Avondale, AZ. The '08 Lancer GTS was in getting an Auto Butler (paint protectant and clear coating every 6-month service) and an oil change there at Avondale Mitsubishi. I didn't test drive then, because the 2010 Kizashi was an automatic tranny and it wasn't my color. But the salesman started volunteering his opinion on Suzuki to me. He first said they make great cars. I tended to agree with him. Then he told me the real low-down on them. He said that Suzuki "doesn't care" about NA sales. He said don't get me wrong, they care, but they really don't because they make so much from Asian sales (they're the kei-class Kings) and they make so much from their worldwide Marine division that car sales in the U.S. can be a drop in the bucket and they won't mind.

I thought about that and agreed kindly with him at the dealership. But upon further reflection it occurred to me that he was right. And coupled with the fact that (in case nobody else here on Edmunds but me has noticed this) Suzuki's CEO from Japan has openly stated that they are not leaving the American marketplace, one must conclude that an August 2010 purchase of a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi is a pretty safe Nevada bet.

But this is a Mitsubishi News thread, and I still own a Mitsubishi. Let me say this, competition between automakers is a really good thing. Heck, between my top 3 automakers there is so much goodness to be had that I would never ever be able to enjoy all of their fruitage, even if I could afford it. I would never have the time required to play with all of their stables in their entirety.

My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has been a flawless and strong car, and I may not even trade it in like I've been threatening to. It is so cool looking as well. I've been playing with the CVT titanium paddle shifting system and it works great. I have just been missing driving a stick so badly lately that a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6-speed seems a no-brainer. The car has been getting a lot of attention of late because it was at the NY Auto show, and it drew much attention. Great new enhanced handling and many superficial amenities added to make a great package for $23,400 even better. I'm guessing it will go up in price to $23,599 with the GTS Sport package. I will probably have Dillon Suzuki of Boise, ID, order this car for me.

But Mitsubishi is doing fine. And just keeping the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS would not be like having lunch with Kobe Bryant, either.

iluv, does it concern you that there's no Suzuki auto dealer near Elko? I see some in Salt Lake City (230 miles away) and Reno (288 miles).

Maybe not, since the closest Mitsu & Kia dealers are about 190 miles away in Boise. :)
    edited April 2010
    no, it doesn't. The closest Suzuki dealer to me will be Dennis Dillon Suzuki in Boise, ID. So, like the Mitsubishi and Kia dealer, the nearest Suzuki dealer is the same distance away. Long distance. Long distances in Nevada is the norm. This place has so much open, airy land it's unbelievable.

Have to play my music loud on long Nevada journeys to keep me awake. The '11 Suzuki Sport will have the same 425-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo that the '10 Kizashi GTS does.

edited April 2010
    I used to defend Kia's honor for years on Edmunds

You know, people used to think Kia didn't have a chance to break into the North American market either. So much for that doom and gloom.

The last time I went to Dennis Dillon it was to look at the Cube and SX-4. Same store also sells Kias, Mazdas and GMCs (lots of truck sales). No salesperson in sight at either of the two showrooms, naturally. Haven't had any service done there for probably 7 years but I'd go back.

There's a Mitsubishi dealer here too.

And 190 miles out in the big empty West is like an ice cream run. :shades:
    edited April 2010
    The auto industry has been guessing at Mitsu's NA demise for a good 20 years. Like Suzuki, Mitsu sales are much stronger elsewhere. I don' think the maker is going anywhere, but I'd sure like to see some advertising. Mitsu has a fairly strong line-up of reliable cars, particularly Lancer and Outlander. And the Galant is no slouch either, but the look is a bit dates. Eclipse still looks good, but its a niche car. And Endeavor is fine, but the time for larger SUV's has come-and-gone.

I'm excited about the prospects for the Outlander Sport. We had really considered the Sportback, but not crazy about the rear visibility. If the Sport was available, there's a good chance we might have gone home with one. Although, I'm sure glad to have the utility of the big-brother Outie. Not thrilled about mpg, but we only fill up every 1.5 months, so no big hardship.
    Lancer Sportback was advertised a lot during the winter Olympics. Before & after that, the Outlander commercial with the invisible people has been running. I still see the Lancer Sportback commercial from time to time.

Endeavor took 2009 off - there was a 2008, no 200,9 but it's back for 2010. Obviously not a sales darling. I see a reasonable number of current gen Galants on the road (I think Chicagoland people like Mitsu a little more than average) but it is a dated design, going back to 2004 with no major updates. To boost average economy & probably to simplify manufacturing the V6 Galant was canceled. Eclipse has too much competition from the Altima coupe + others and it rides on that dated Galant platform.

I really see the Lancer & Outlander as Mitsu's only stars at the moment. Hopefully the Outlander Sport will be added as a 3rd when it ships. Problem is, both stars are in very, very competitive fields and Mitsu's smaller advertising budget & more limited dealer network will prohibit them from any runaway success. All we, as Mitsu fans, can do is hope the steady if modest growth continues.
    And 190 miles out in the big empty West is like an ice cream run.

You are spot on there, bro. :shades:

Looks like Mitsu has abandoned the “It’s go time” motto. It doesn’t appear on their website anymore. The new theme seems to be “different/unique”. So maybe the new motto will be something like – “be different”, “unique is good”, “find a different path”, etc.

Also, the Eclipse has been refreshed for 2011. All coupes get the blacked out front grill, twin exhaust tips, automatic transmission, lowered suspension, and (my favorite) a blacked out roof. The roof is the salute to the first Eclipse from 20 years ago. Since Mitsu continues to revise the car, maybe it will be transitioned to the Lancer platform once the Galant/Endeavour are phased out.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    We just drove our '07 Outlander from Wisconsin to Louisiana and back. About 2300 miles, and the car did great. Anyway, we were joking about Mitsu dealers in rural Louisiana if we would need service, we spotted one in Baton Rouge, and one around Memphis, I think, both were shut down, no cars at either!

We also tried to spot other Outlanders, didn't see one outside of Chicago throughout the whole trip. Just Galants, and the occasianal Eclipse or Montero.

I also have a Lincoln LS, and we amused ourselves playing Geezer or Gangsta.
    If you see a LS, either the driver is 79 years old, or a young guy with rims and booming sound system. Ratio was about 75% geezer, 25% gansta. (I'm neither, but probably closer to geezer. ;)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    but my three favorite carmakers are Mitsubishi, Suzuki and Kia. Two are said to be disappearing and one is slightly surging (yep-Kia).

I'll say this, Mitsu makes fantastic cars and I'm not gonna abandon them.