Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Not a big Kia fan, but I know a few people that own them, and they're very happy with them.
    New Sorento looks pretty nice, too.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • authurdentauthurdent Member Posts: 82
    This is what I think the Mitsu line up ought to be, with copious amounts of advertising of course

i-Miev - smart size for a full electric city car
    Lancer - fine as-is (minus the wing), but just the 2.0L (for gas mileage)
    Lancer convertible - maybe 2.0T, dump the Eclipse & Spider
    EVO - can't get rid of the most exciting car
    Outlander Sport - nice spec, just like Rogue
    Outlander - temptation would be to lengthen, slot with Murano, and take the place of the Endeavor, but I might avoid that temptation

But what about the Galant? Can a car-maker really skip the mid-size? Mitsu already dumped their big car with the Diamante. I'm thinking the Lancer-Sport-Outlander might manage the spread, but maybe a WHOLE new car should be developed, with an entirely new look and name.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited April 2010
    PX-MiEV to sell. Here's a picture of this new "larger than Outlander" rig currenlty under development.

Looking much like a butch Outlander, the PX-MiEV is perhaps more notable for what lies underneath its five-door bodyshell. Mitsubishi has equipped the concept with its S-AWC all-wheel-drive system (you'll find a similar setup in the Lancer Evolution), but uses two electric motors -- one at each axle -- for power. The PX-MiEV has an approximately 30-mile range in EV mode, but a 1.6-liter I-4 can serve as a generator for longer trips. If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/0910_mitsubishi_px_miev_plugin_hybrid_co- - - - ncept/index.html

Our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is a great car. I am very happy to have it and it's 2.0L 152-hp 4-banger is delivering the goods and the fuel economy. We are averaging 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. In nice viewing style, might I add. Like I've posted before here on Edmunds, my favorite bodystyle of all time is the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer GTS(note the GTS, it hasta be the GTS because of the wrap-around bodykit, foglights, 650-watt RF stereo, etc.)followed by the 1965 Ford Mustang.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2010
    "This is what I think the Mitsu line up ought to be..."

I like your ideas. To add to them
    Also sell the gas version of the i-MiEV, the i (I think that's what it's called)
    Keep the Eclipse name plate but use it on a coupe version of the Lancer

I think you're right about the mid-size car, too.
    I like the PX except for the seeming lack of visibility. Not bad looking, distinctive.

Is the Lancer popular enough to spin off variants? That would be my chief concern.

Accord, Camry and Focus seem to have the midsize covered. If cost & gas were no concern, I think people prefer the entry/exit ease, commanding view and utility of SUVs. The trick seems to find the ideal size and greatest possible efficiency.

All that said, I just passenger'ed in a Mazda3. Nice space, pleasant seating and not terrible for entry/exit. If I were a (struggling) carmaker, I'd concentrate on compact cars and compact/midsize SUVs.
    edited April 2010
    the Mitsubishi Lancer variant that I think will pay dividends is the Mitsubishi Lancer Hybrid. That car will no doubt very likely be my next rig. Because the i-MiEV is a nice all-electric car, however, my wife and I are gonna be living in small Elko, NV. There will be no Tucson, AZ (one million people) 80 miles to the west.

That means that if we want to drive to a real city that will be driving 191 miles north, to Boise, ID(the home of our Edmund's host, steve) and Salt Lake City, UT, will be 250 miles to our east. Reno, NV, will be 245 miles to our west.

So, we'll either need to keep our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS ICE car and get the good range that is available with an ICE car, or, if I get an itchy finger, purchase a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid.

2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Hybrid

I'm falling back in love with our Lancer GTS. I was falling for the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi but I'm not sure it's gonna stick. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is proving ta be the hostest with the mostest.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Evo Coupe. :)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    edited April 2010
    I also fell hard for the 2007 Suzuki SX-4. I still like it but no longer love it.

However, the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi is still right in my sights. I just don't think it would make me spring from my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

I love this car!

edited April 2010
    this image of my car (oh, OK, not my exact car, but a similar model exactly to mine) is my favorite picture ever taken of the beautiful car.

That captures the sexy image of the car perfectly.

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    I like your line-up and suggestion for an all-new Galant. Below is my wish-list:

- iMIEV (based on the slightly up-sized concept shown in Paris)

- i w/ ICE (also based on up-sized concept and with a 1.0 GDI or 1.1l GDI engine)

- next-gen COLT (expected to be smaller than current version sold in EU/JDM and elsewhere. Preferably with 1.3 GDI and 1.3 GDI turbo engines)

- Lancer (next-gen due in 2012 as a '13 model, opt. hybrid version, needs better interior, GDI engines, 6-speed manual, and revised CVT or 6-speed auto)

- Outlander Sport (needs 2.4l, 6-speed manual)

- Lancer coupe to replace Eclipse (smaller/lighter with 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, TC-SST and 6-speed manual)

- All new Galant based on Concept ZT but smaller (only slightly larger than Lancer, with 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, 6-speed auto)

- Outlander (next gen comes in 2011 as a '12 model, opt. hybrid version, 2.4l GDI and 2.0l GDI turbo, 6-speed auto and TC-SST)

These last three are long-shots and probably would only work if Mitsubishi can clear the diesel EPA emissions for all 50 states and a trade agreement is signed between the US and Thailand.

- Montero Sport (2.5l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto)

- L200 Triton pick-up (2.5l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto or 6-speed manual)

- Montero (3.2l common-rail DI turbo diesel w/ VG/VD turbo, 5- speed auto)

In the near-term, Mitsubishi really needs to increase ad spend and also create a better marketing/PR strategy, as well as, improve the interiors in all vehicles.
    I really did like our 1991 Colt, and a small Golf-like wagon might be good, but for a cash-strapped automaker, your list is too complicated. If anything, Mitsubishi needs to pair down its offerings and strengthen is stronger models, in the USA at any rate.

I think expanding the Lancer model to include a hybrid, convertible, etc, sounds good. And expanding the Outlander to include a hybrid, and Sport makes sense.

Not sure how or why you'd bring back the Montero, especially if you get rid of the Endeavor. And forget about the pickup. Leave pickups to Ford and GM.

There probably is no escaping the mid-size, but it would be BOLD for Mitsu to forego the hum-drum family car, and focus on economy and utility, and of course pizazz! The i-Miev looks like a much more usable Fortwo. If the i-Miev takes off, I'd definitely expand around that model.

i-Miev, Lancer, Sport and Outlander, that's it!
    on the 6-speed manual for the Lancer GTS and the Lancer Hybrid in 2013. Bring 'em Mitsu!

I still think Mitsu should keep the Eclipse but use the Lancer platform. The first and second generation Eclipse (turbo models) used the 4G63 engine from the Evolution. Once Mitsu stopped using the Evo setup, (Generations 3 to current) the Eclipse sales numbers fell off. I'm all for a Lancer coupe/convertible -- just name it Eclipse. Especially since the Eclipse nameplate still has a good history in that arena.

The Montero is still built and sold around the world. Some people (unlike me, hahaha) actually use there SUV's to pull stuff like boats. Also, having a Honda Pilot sized SUV in the lineup is something that Mitsu would probably like to do. The Outlander doesn't quite fit the bill in that regard, but the Montero does.

Also, the Triton (Mitsu's pickup) is sold around the world. We don't get in the US because of some weird "chicken tax".

In the end, I'm glad that we're having a lively discussion about Mitsu's product lineup.
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if this concept SUV Mitsubishi is working on called the PX-MiEV could pull your boat. The one you don't have. Or the boat you do have but just don't pull with your Outlander.

Do you have an Outlander? Refresh my feeble memory.

Haha! Good one. I've the old school first generation Outy. Closing in on 200K miles. We'll trade it in near the end of 2010.
    a meager increase...

CYPRESS, CA - May 3, 2010: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced that it followed a 17.6 percent increase in March, with another sales increase in April.

Sales boosts for MMNA's North American-built cars (Galant, Eclipse, and Eclipse Spyder) and the Outlander crossover-SUV led April 2010 sales of 3,932, .3 % higher than April 2009.

"We are encouraged to put together two successful months consecutively," said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara, "We are hopeful that the economic recovery will continue, because we are demonstrating that the Mitsubishi brand can provide what customers want."

April highlights included:
    -- Outlander sales in April 2010 were up 34 percent compared to the prior year and are up 20 percent for the first four months of the year. April was Outlander's second best month of sales since August (2009).

-- Customers continue to be drawn to the new Lancer Sportback, which posted its second best month of sales since October 2009.

-- Galant sales were more than double the sales of the prior year (April 2009) and are ahead 72 percent year-to-date.

-- Eclipse sales were up 14 percent compared to April 2009. Eclipse showed its highest sales total since last August.

-- Spyder convertible sales were up 4 percent compared to a year ago. April was the best month for Spyder sales since July 2009.

-- Year to date sales of vehicles manufactured at MMNA's U.S. factory in Normal, Illinois, are up almost 16 percent. (Galant, Endeavor, Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder)

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 400 dealers.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/05/03/475981.html
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.
    edited May 2010
    Sounds good, and as an Outlander owner I'm very happy to see those numbers continuing to be good, but I'm left wondering about regular Lancer sales since those aren't mentioned.

I'm surprised about the surge in Galant sales, unless last year's numbers were just too awful to contemplate.

I looked at the link and there were no Lancer numbers at all. Humm. I don't get that-except that perhaps the Lancer sedan models were just staying even and Sportback sales were more notably better.

And as for the Galant, man, I looked at one in Boulder City, NV, just north of the Hoover Dam, and I started to get in to its design more than I ever have. Not a bad looking design. Here it is.

Unique-but a good kind of unique.

The Galant's a good, solid car. I had one as a rental in Seattle this past January. The problem is that it's just good. Others are better. The Sonata & Optima, for instance, as well as the Fusion and the Kizashi are competitive on price while offering an overall better package.

As a current Mitsu owner & former Galant owner it pains me to say it, but if I was in the market for a midsize sedan, while I'd include the Galant in my selection process I doubt it would make the final cut. (Well, right now it certainly wouldn't as I only by V6-equipped cars and the current Galant only comes with an I4. Which also means the Sonata would be out.)

Anyway, Mitsu's official PR about April sales is at http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/0dbec61c-b192-6491-b710-ff394bdf14b6 and is the source text for the original link. So no mention of Lancer sales. It's possible they're down some if the Lancer Sportback is robbing some of their sales.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    This morning I heard a Mitsubishi commercial on the radio for two local dealers and I was pretty sure it was part of the national ad campaign as it used the tag line "Dare To Compare". It talked about the Galant only and mentioned the warranty, safety features, JD Powers, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, at the end it said the price for a new Galant was $16,000. That's for a full size 4 door sedan. Now, I'm sure that's a base model and we all know how car dealers get customers in the door but still... power windows, steering, AC, cruise, AM FM CD etc... Also,the mill in the Galant is pretty much based on the Mivec I have in my 2004 Outlander, about 165 hp and really zippy, great engine.

I still love my new Sportback the mostest but have driven the Galant and for 16k that sounds like a really good deal, even for a base.
    $16K must include a huge dealer incentive. If you check the Mitsu web site the base ES lists at $22,344 with destination. There's a $3500 rebate to bring the price to $18,844. So the dealer is dropping almost $3K from list. That'll dig heavily into markup & profit and may even be a loss-leader.
    Yes. I suppose the 16K price could just be an agreement between those two particular dealers while still using the generic aspects of the commercial.

Great deal though.
    A very interesting article about expert automotive reviews

The Best (?) Car Reviews Money Can Buy: The Wall St. Journal Exposes the Car Magazine Review Scam

By Marc J. Rauch
    Exec. Vice President/Co-Publisher
    THE AUTO CHANNEL

For years, auto journalists and industry insiders have known or suspected that car magazine endorsements and Car-of-the-Year type awards” were often bestowed based upon the amount of advertising that a carmaker bought in a particular publication. Today, May 10th, the Wall Street Journal published an expose of how Consumers Digest, a monthly print magazine and website, has operated their particular pay-to-play scheme.

According to the WSJ story, car manufacturers pay up to $35,000 per vehicle for the right to use and quote a positive Consumers Digest car review. In particular, the story cites a sales-hungry General Motors as recently paying Consumers Digest as much as $335,000 to cover 15 different 2010 models. Nissan, KIA and Ford are other car makers who have “licensed” use of the endorsements. Chrysler is currently negotiating their license fee.

The Wall Street Journal says that such payments are one of Consumers Digest’s primary revenue streams.

Consumers Digest’s Editor, Rich Dzierwa, said the fees don’t influence its picks, and each winner is described in its magazine. However, WSJ points out that the website only publishes the reviews of those manufacturers who have paid the fee. The reviews are written by free-lance writers. Consumers Digest’s editors and publisher then decides on the winners.

Dzierwa also said that “There is no pressure on the editorial staff to consider products, to consider vehicles because either they have been licensees or because there is a possibility that they will be.”

So I’ll let you do the math: Consumers Digest has, let’s say, 10 journalists submitting reviews to them. The publisher and editor knows that they can get car makers to pay a lot of money for a good review (obviously they are not going to pay for a bad review), so do they accept positive reviews from their writers or negative reviews? Then, based upon past experience, they know which manufacturers are likely to want to license these reviews and awards. So would you go with reviews and awards to car makers that tell you to go the hell when you try to scam them, or would you use reviews and bestow awards to those who provide your primary revenue? Hmmm.

J.D. Power & Associates, while not a print publisher (although they are a web publisher among other things), sells results of their surveys to car makers and charges licensing fees for the use of those results in promotional campaigns. J.D. Power’s fees run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

By the way, The Auto Channel has never asked for or accepted money from a car maker for the use of its text or video reviews, and has never charged for the use of our sound-bite quotes. In addition, in the years that The Auto Channel has bestowed car-of-the-year awards, not only did we not charge any kind of use-fee for the notoriety, we have never asked the manufacturers to pay for the trophies.

In addition, because of our policy of providing all of our content for free to all visitors to TheAutoChannel.com, most all automotive websites don't charge for access to their content (they tried, but couldn't overcome us).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's still accusation by innuendo IMO, and rather self-serving by Auto Channel.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,163
    I think the only rag that will give an uninfluenced review is "Top Gear", and even they worship Jag a bit much. "Car" is another who does not care if they offend an advertiser. Most of the NA rags are way too positive about virtually everything they drive.
    edited May 2010
    I would agree with that--the mags are far too generous sometimes. Of course, if they do a vicious review, they will lose that advertiser, you can be sure.

Well, welcome to the real world. I don't see why car magazines need to be held to a higher standard than any other business. The car business has never been a hotbed of morality---except at Edmunds, of course :P

I do think though, that all mags or TV shows have their prejudices. I don't think Mitsubishi gets a fair shake sometimes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Consumer's Digest has always had that reputation.

The other fun expose is the fancy junkets the car manufacturers put on for the press. That's why you'll sometimes see a review of a car in a baby magazine that has a nod to how well it can carry a baby carriage.

The "reviews" in the newspaper car ad sections are about the worst.
    This doesn't surprise me at all considering the glut of "product review" mags out there nowadays. My mother-in-law has a subscription to Consumer Reports that I check out occasionally when I visit however I find it difficult to take a car review seriously when the reviewer was probably testing toasters or i-pods the day before. I personally would be more influenced by a review in something like Motor Trend. Even if they accept ad payola I have seen plenty of negative reviews on companies that still advertise in their pages.

I also noticed that the reviews in Consumer Reports for Mitsubishi ( for the Galant and Eclipse anyway) haven't changed in years. They haven't even changed the picture of the Eclipse in the last 4 years and the script is exactly the same. OK, maybe the car hasn't changed that much but the 4 cylinder has recieved some upgrades this year like dual exhaust and 18" tires while the Galant had some tuning and side air dams to increase mpg. It's obvious that CR didn't even bother to drive the cars and just ran the old review. I wonder how many thing they review that had minimal improvements in the last few years get the same treatment.
    Mitsubishi is not one of the Big Japanese Three, so they always get second billing.
    edited May 2010
    yep that's it. Kia gets the same treatment. I go more by my own test drive of the car and by what other testers think. Motor Trend is fine but I'd recommend going online and spending literally hundreds of hours learning about your potential new car purchase.

I did that before buying my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. It was this website's review of the '08 Lancer GTS that sealed the purchase for me. Loved this review and it is a very fair review. OK, it does include a lot of pictures from the San Diego car museum. Or whatever that place is they visit. But I learned from that set of pics/info., too! :D Here is the link if you're curious as a domestic housecat.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spies-give-you-an-early-preview-of-the-next-Mitsub- - ishi-EVO-12186/

edited May 2010
    Mitsubishi is not one of the Big Japanese Three, so they always get second billing.

Second billing isn't limited to the print press. Edmunds also second bills Mitsubishi. The recent Tucson review is a good example. Nearly every other small-medium SUV is mentioned as alternatives or others to consider. The Outlander is four bills down at best!
    Mitsubishi Motors Posts Third Consecutive Monthly Sales Increase

CYPRESS, CA - June 2, 2010: Sparked by sales of the new-for-2010 Lancer Sportback, Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced May 2010 sales of 4,737, an increase of 8.8 percent compared to May 2009.

It's the third straight monthly sales increase for MMNA. Over that period (March/April/May) sales have increased an aggregate 9.4 percent.

"The addition of Sportback to our unique line-up of products and its warm reception emphasize that consumers are coming to us because we offer products that stand out from the crowd. These products are 'different, for a reason,'" said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara. "Our sales improvement over the last three months positions us for a summer in which we will align our sales efforts and our marketing to set the stage for the launch of our exciting all-new Outlander Sport."

May highlights included:
    -- Lancer Sportback sales of 256 marked the second best month of sales since the Sportback began sales in August of last year. -- Outlander sales increased more than 56 percent compared to May 2009 and are up more than 27 percent year-to-date. Outlander sales have increased five of the past six months. -- Lancer sales were up 5.5 percent compared to a year ago (May 2009) and jumped more than 75 percent from the month before (April 2010). It was Lancer's best sales month since August 2009 and the fuel-efficient sedan's second best sales month since August 2008. -- Galant sales increased 59 percent compared to last May, and are up more than 70 percent year-to-date. This marks the sixth consecutive month that Galant sales have increased compared to the prior year. -- Year-to-date sales of MMNA's models built in Normal, Illinois, remain strong. Sales from January through May of Galant, Eclipse, Spyder, and Endeavor are up a combined 12.2 percent compared to the same period in 2009.

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 400 dealers.
    Thanks, Mike. Good to see another monthly increase.
    I watch the UFC reality show "Ultimate Fighter" on Spike channel that started about six weeks ago and noticed that a Mitsubishi Lancer commercial gets airplay there once or twice per episode. It's an older commercial I believe, showing a Ralliart Lancer to good effect chewing up the streets of some anonymous city. Not subtle at all, and maybe why Lancer sales increased last month?

I'm not an advertising expert but imo that's what Mitsu needs to do with the Outlander as well. Show someone like Batman exploring the world from the pampas of Argentina to the potholes of Illinois in an Outlander while talking about the Mitsu heritage of off-road vehicles, then showcase the electronic gizmo-tology and civilized interior. Straight up bragging and they could get some hot model (like the recently unemployed girl from those Mercury commercials) to do the talking.

Meanwhile, I am still loving my new Sportback and receive plenty of compliments on it as well but must warn anyone considering the "Wicked White" color scheme. Because of the attention it has received from the locals I have become quite vain about its appearance and now that the bugs are out I feel compelled to clean the damn things off the front end and rear view mirrors every time I park it after a drive.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I try to not be influenced by advertising but when the new Outlanders came out I'll admit the commercials made me take a look at them. Advetising can have a big effect especially with a lesser known brand such as Mitsubishi.

I had my oil changed a few weeks ago and checked out a Lancer sportback.
    Not in the market for a car, but that was a roomy, good looking subcompact.

Definitely would like to see the Mercury girl on TV again.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Mitsubishi is planning to cut the price of its electric cars to $22,000

Mitsubishi announced that it is planning to cut the price of its electric cars to ¥2 million or about $22,000 by 2012 fiscal year. This means that the prices will be down by almost a third and it appears that this move will be made by Mitsubishi to capitalize on the growing popularity of cars in that price range. For those who don’t know, the prices are going to drop due to the fact that the most expensive component in an electric vehicle, the lithium ion batteries will lower costs sharply.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/mitsubishi-planning-to-cut-the-price-of-its-electric-- cars-to-22000/
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited June 2010
    http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/06/2010-mitsubishi-outlander-gt-intro- - duction.html#comments

They'll have the car for a year. Should be interesting to see what they think of it over the long haul.

And yes, they did have an '07 XLS model as a long-term tester a while back. Why another? It was free, as the Mitsu boys loaned it to IL for the duration.

Bob
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. Gotta love the comments from the haters & know-nothings.
    edited June 2010
    any of you all who are following the Chinese cars in to production might appreciate this information.

Go on the internet and research how Mitsubishi is selling so much engine technology (and actual engines) to some of the Chinese carmakers in order to help them get a head start. So they can concentrate on making the chassis, interiors and electricals and bodies better. I have already done so and I can go pull up the articles online and link them if you want, or from now on as I see them.

But they are large and they are many. Guys, as I sit and listen to my '08 Lancer GTS 2.0L I4 idle and purr, I appreciate the technical prowess of Mitsubishi engineering.

I was blown away by two of my co-workers back in Mar. of '07 when I bought my Lancer GTS.

"That car's engine will last forever!"

"That car won't wear out, I'm not kidding."

I was kind of blown away, I was new to Mitsubishi and had researched them on the net, knew basically what cars they made and their reputation. To some point, anyway.

A lasting collaboration with Chrysler going on for years. FWIW and so on and so on.

After another flirtation session with Suzuki (this time Kizashi, last time SX-4) I am happy to keep my '08 Lancer GTS and look to Mitsubishi's future and their fan's future with satisfaction and love.

A mild increase in sales for the 2nd quarter.

CYPRESS, Calif., July 1, 2010; Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced that sales increased 1.8 percent during the second quarter of 2010 (April-June).

Mitsubishi sales also increased marginally (0.10 percent) for the first half of the year (January-June). June sales were 4,198, down slightly (3.8 percent) compared to June 2009.

"We have established a good foundation of positive sales momentum heading into the hot summer selling season," said MMNA President & CEO Shin Kurihara. "We are perfectly positioned to show much larger increases the second half of the year, with the addition to our product line-up of our exciting new Outlander Sport CUV."

June sales highlights included:
    -- Lancer sales were up 16.7 percent compared to a year ago (June 2009).
    It was Lancer's second best sales month since August 2009.
    -- Outlander sales increased more than 38 percent compared to June 2009
    and are up more than 28 percent year-to-date. Outlander sales have
    increased six of the past seven months.
    -- Lancer Sportback sales of 227 were the third best month of sales since
    the Sportback began sales in August of last year.
    -- Eclipse Spyder sales increased more than 45 percent compared to last
    June.
    -- Galant sales are up more than 53 percent year-to-date.
    -- Year-to-date sales of MMNA's models built in Normal, Illinois,
    (Galant, Eclipse, Spyder, and Endeavor) are up a combined 3.8 percent
    compared to the same period in 2009.
  • mitsfanmitsfan Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2010
    Wow numbers are not good!!!

Mitsubishi continues struggle.

They decreased sales this month when most all other car manufactures increased sales by 30 - 35 percent.

The recovery is clearly passing them by.

They really need to advertise to get something rolling (that is if they have the cash)
    :sick:
    June was the first month in about 5 or 6 where sales declined. Most months have had 15%+ increases. So while it is a little disappointing I'm not particularly worried.

Reading between the lines I'd guess Endeavor & Eclipse (non-Spyder) sales are tanking bad since everything else is showing increases.

Still, the Outlander Sport can't get here soon enough. It could hit a sweet spot for young families who've outgrown their compact sedan but don't want or can't afford a larger CUV. Go after the same audience that's buying the Tucson.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yeah, why do we never see Mitsu advertising any more?? :confuse:

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Mitsubishi Motors Sales Increase More Than 16 Percent In July

Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today announced July sales of 5,648. That’s an increase of 16.5 percent compared to July 2009 and Mitsubishi’s highest monthly sales total since August 2009.

Outlander sales led the way, up 33 percent and increasing more than 30 percent for the second month in a row.

Other June sales highlights included:

The monthly total of 5,648 was Mitsubishi’s best month in the last twelve months, and the second best month in the last 22 months.

Lancer Sportback sales were 697 units, more than double its previous highest monthly total (267 in October 2009).

Outlander sales are up more than 29 percent year-to-date. Outlander sales have increased seven of the past eight months.

Sales of the fuel-efficient Lancer were up almost five percent compared to last July.
    Galant sales are up more than 43 percent year-to-date, and were up 1.3 percent in July.

Endeavor SUV sales are up more than 14 percent year-to-date.
    That is clear a start of some good news.

But they are very far from were they need to be if they want to continue in the USA

This is were they are today for 7 months

Mitsubishi Motors North America, which has a manufacturing plant in Normal, reported July sales of 5,648, an increase of 16.5 percent from the 4,847 vehicles sold in July 2009. Year-to-date sales total 32,138

This is off the MMNA website

The decade in review

2000: 315,000

2001: 322,393

2002: 345,000

2003: 256,810

2004: 161,609

2005: 123,995

2006: 118,558

2007: 128,993

2008: 97,257

2009: 53,986

They are on pace for 55,000 this year :cry:
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    It's important to remember that the sales numbers from 2000 - 2002 are inflated by the inane 0-0-0 incentives Mitsubishi ran during that time. 2003 - 2004 are inflated by the immense amount of fleet sales Mitsubishi engaged in.
    Finally, the sales drop for 2008 to current is partly to blame on the economic melt-down as well as the minuscule marketing/ad/PR budget Mitsubishi has been running.
    No advertising = minimal sales
    Looks like the union is tying the hands or sealing the fate of the Normal Mitsubishi Plant

More wages or more work for MMNA employees?

http://www.pantagraph.com/business/local/article_5ce051ca-a4df-11df-9c77-001cc4c- 03286.html

NORMAL — More wages or more work?

Mitsubishi Motors North America must decide by Sept. 1 whether to bring a new model into its Normal manufacturing plant, or provide union workers a partial restoration of pay that was cut in 2008.

“There is a letter of agreement. I can’t comment beyond that,” MMNA spokesman Dan Irvin said Tuesday.

That agreement is part of the current contract that members of United Auto Workers Local 2488 narrowly approved in August 2008. UAW Local 2488 President Ralph Timan also declined comment on the deadline.

Under terms of the contract, workers traded wage and benefit cuts for four years of job security.

The base rate of production workers (who assemble vehicles) was cut $4.75 per hour, to $24. Maintenance workers (who maintain the plant’s machinery) took a $4.79 per hour cut on base wages, to $28.50. A two-tiered wage scale also was created that lowers the pay of any new hires and recalled workers.

In turn, the company agreed not to close the struggling plant or lay off workers for the duration of the contract, which expires in 2012.

The pact also included a letter of understanding that money from the cuts was to be used toward attracting new models to the plant that currently produces the Eclipse, Spyder and Galant cars and Endeavor sport utility vehicle.

“The parties understand that the purpose of these concessions is to put the plant in a position where it can effectively compete for new product to be placed in our plant,” according to a summary of the agreement released by the UAW when the contract was approved.

The company and the union agreed to work toward that goal. If a new product is not approved by Sept. 1, the base rate for production workers increases to $25.67 per hour, while a maintenance worker’s base wage rises to $30.21. That equates to about 35 percent of the lost wages.

The company, with about 1,300 employees, has struggled in recent years, in tandem with the economy and the auto industry. U.S. sales in 2009, which included a record 12 weeks of non-production, were 53,986 — about ½ percent of the U.S. market. Sales for the first seven months of this year total 32,138, slightly ahead of the 31,314 vehicles sold during the same period in 2009.

The plant has been operating somewhere between half- and full-capacity since the non-production time ended in May 2009, Irvin said.
    :confuse:
    Good post.

I guess it's pretty costly to re-tool the Normal plant for the lancer platform. At one time, there were rumors of Peugeot (spelling?) using some of the available capacity at that plant to stage a come back in the US.

At any rate, I hope the things turn around for Mitsu and the Normal facility.
    Tooling up for a platform is pretty expensive from my understanding. Probably more expensive than Mitsu can afford unless they choose to take a loss on the work. Moving Lancer & associated cars (Outlander/Sport, Evo, etc.) to Normal would be good for the US but of course Mitsu also has to weigh what the effect would be on moving some production away from Japan.

It's a complicated business. Maybe different concessions can be negotiated, like moving partial/final assembly of Lancer-platform vehicles from Japan to Normal. That would be cheaper than building an entire line not to mention it wouldn't require quite the same space & inventory costs. Is the Normal plant large enough to host multiple platforms? I've driven by it a number of times but have no idea how much space a full assembly line requires.

I'm tentative for going to the Normal Mitsubishi Owners Day event (http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/owners-day.do) in September. If they have active labor problems at that time, though, I may take a pass. I don't want to get caught in the middle of a dispute.
    Union Members vote to increase wage hurt MMNA recovery

I can see them closing this plant just because of the higher cost in wages and retooling

MMNA workers reject extension of pay reduction
    StoryDiscussionMMNA workers reject extension of pay reduction
    By Kevin Barlow | kbarlow@pantagraph.com pantagraph.com | Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 10:50 pm | Loading…

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.NORMAL — Members of United Auto Workers Local 2488 have voted down a provision to extend a deadline that requires Mitsubishi Motors North America to bring a new model into the Normal manufacturing plant. Instead, union workers are now in line for a partial restoration of wages cut in 2008.

Under the current four-year pact that expires in 2012, members approved smaller, but steady paychecks with money from the pay cuts earmarked toward attracting a new model to the plant. Under terms of a letter of understanding, if that new product is not lined up by Sept. 1, the base rate for production workers and maintenance workers will receive an increase equal to about 35 percent of wages lost in 2008.

“We are disappointed with the results of this vote,” said Dan Irvin, MMNA spokesman. “Mitsubishi Motors Corporation remains concerned at the slow pace of economic recovery in the United States and current sales projections for the U.S. market. As a result, MMC is unable to announce a new model for assembly at MMNA at this juncture. In response to today’s unfortunate development, MMNA is exploring its options.”

Ralph Timan, president of UAW Local 2488, declined to release specific vote totals or how many members voted, but did say the extension was voted down by 61 percent of the members who voted.

“We asked the members to weigh in on the offer and we received some valuable insight,” Timan said. “We support the decision of the members and will continue to work with the company and give our future commitments to the plant.”

The company has about 1,300 employees and produces the Eclipse, Spyder and Galant cars and Endeavor sport utility vehicle.

As a result of the vote, the base rate for production workers who assemble vehicles will increase to $25.67 per hour while the base wage for maintenance workers who cares for the plant’s equipment will increase to $30.21.

Timan said he is unsure what the vote will mean for the future of the plant and the possibility of a new model at some point.

“That’s an unknown,” he said. “We will have to wait and see.”

Mitsubishi sales

Chart below shows 2009 sales for Mitsubishi Motors North America, by vehicle.

Eclipse Coupe* — 4,262

Eclipse Spyder* — 2,410

Galant* — 11,740

Lancer — 17,034

Lancer Evolution — 2,296

Lancer Sportback — 787

Outlander SUV — 10,283

Endeavor SUV* — 3,228

Montero SUV — 2

Raider pickup — 1,944

Total sales — 53,986

* Vehicles made in Normal