Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• subiemansubieman Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna splurge a bit on the polks since I've got an 80 mile commute everyday and have been putting up with the awful factory stuff.
  • crossroadscrossroads Member Posts: 16
    I have an '02 Forester which I just bought 2 months ago. I am not happy with the brakes. My symptom is that while the brakes seem to work well under normal conditions, I can put the pedal to the floor if I use a little force. Today I took the car to the dealer for this problem for the second time. They checked the brakes and said there was nothing wrong. They did adjust the pedal so that it seems to engage the brakes with less pedal travel and it did improve them. However I can still put the pedal to the floor and I haven't been able to do that with any properly functioning vehicle in 45 years of driving.

The service manager says that this is the way Subaru's work and nothing is wrong. I was able to do the same thing with a used 99 Impreza that they loaned me, so possibly it is a Subaru quirk.

Has anyone out there had similar problems or concerns, and what has been done to resolve the issue?

Mike
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Mike, I owned a '95 Mercury Tracer where the brakes went to the floor during heavy braking. It was so bad that I couldn't get the brakes to lock up if I wanted them to. Dealer said nothing was wrong. I unloaded that car and got a '97 Outback Sport and finally a '99 Forester.

I have to say that the Subaru brakes are a LOT better and firmer than my Tracer.

What I find perplexing is that in just about every review I've ever read on a Forester, everyone complains that Subaru brakes feel "spongy." I have always wholeheartedly disagreed with that desciption and have considered them easy to modulate. Not too touchy and not too mushy.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that if they are truly hitting the floor and you are not stopping so hard the your seat belt locks up and your head whips forward, then something is definitely wrong with your brakes.

If you are stopping hard and short, but just "feels" like it is hitting the floor, I would guess you're just not used to the feel of Subaru brakes.
  • crossroadscrossroads Member Posts: 16
    Mark, thanks for your input. I have tested the brake pedal in the driveway at a stop and can put the pedal on the floor (I've never been able to do this with any other car that was working correctly). When I first hit the pedal it is the easiest to put to the floor. Subsequent pumping will cause the pedal to firm up, suggesting that I have air in the system. However the dealer swears that he bled the brake system twice.

I have tried locking up the brakes going downhill on wet pavement and they did not go to the floor before the (it felt like) front brakes (only) went into ABS mode. I thought that under these conditions that the back brakes would slide and go into ABS mode also, but from what I can tell in the drivers seat, the back brakes did not cause the wheels to slide or go into ABS mode. This may be ok as I don't know how the proportioning system will react to this situation. I don't know if the seat belts locked up. I was not aware of anything happening there and I wasn't checking for it. When we get another rainy day I will check to see what the belts do.

The reason I brought this up on this board is that I thought I had seen where someone else had posted some concerns about these brakes, but I couldn't find it in the search I did.

Mike
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Hi everyone ... I'm thinking about buying a new car this year and the 2003 Forester is at the top of my list. The AWD is very appealing for my Minnesota winters, and living in the city I prefer the smaller car.

The base X model looks like a great value, especially since they made 16-inch tires standard across the line.

But I'm having a hard time justifying making the $2,350 jump (MSRP) to the XS. The weather package with limited slip would be a plus in winter, and the cassette/CD changer would be convenient. But I'm not sure those two things are worth $2,350. (I know you get some cosmetic upgrades too, but those aren't a big deal to me.)

Am I missing something here? With the '02s the 16-inch tires gave you a good reason to go up to the mid level. But with the '03s I'm not seeing it.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The subject of Subarus brakes feeling soft has been brought up before. IIRC, it's because Subaru uses a 2-stage something or other brake system (Juice or Bob please clarify). The result is that your brake pedal has more travel than you're accustomed to in other cars. However, it doesn't compromise you're braking distance (which in the Forester is actually quite good).

Mike- Pumping any vehicle's brakes will cause them to firm up. Also, you don't need to wait for another rainy day to check your brakes. Just pick an empty parking lot, accelerate to 30 mph and hit the brakes as hard as you can. You should stop in very short order. If not, something's wrong.

-Frank P.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The AWP also includes heated front seats, heated outside mirrors, and a windshield deicer. Frankly, I value those items more than the LSD. I have it on my Forester, and I think the AWP is worth it. Since you live in Minnesota, I would think the heated seats would be much appreciated, almost on a daily basis.

You're right though, the new X model is a very good value. It's a tough choice.

Bob
    I defer to others with more knowledge. Sorry...

Bob
  • mikeh19mikeh19 Member Posts: 18
    Hey gang,
    Has anyone tried to replace the 2 map lights in their Forester? I've got the '02 L and I'm a little disappointed with the strength of the light. I remember renting a 99 Alero and the maps lights were strong enough to keep me up going from Toronto to Montreal at 2am. The dome light I don't mind, I can live with it as it is. The map lights I want something brighter.
    Any suggestions on particular bulbs? Bulb sizes? Installation and difficulty? Colour?
    Thanks.
    Mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a feeling that Ken, Frank, and I will be racing to the nearest Subaru dealer to buy a Forester turbo if they come out with a 5 speed. If not, we may all end up with WRX wagons. Kind of funny, eh?

Mike: that does not sound right. Call 800-SUBARU3 and push the issue. I'd ask for them to replace the dual-stage booster, the ABS, the brake lines, the fluid, whatever it takes. Get a case number and we'll put you in touch with Patti.

It can take a while to get used to the dual-stage booster. The advantage is that it offers smoother operation. Slight pressure on the brake pedal slows it gradually, more pressure invokes full braking power. So the brakes aren't as touchy as most, yet they're quite effective.

But the pedal going to the floor is not normal.

The XS' alloy wheels are not only cosmetic, they also reduce unsprung weight and this aids in handling. The side mirrors are bigger (at least they were on 2002 models) so if you tow you get better visibility to the sides. There's also the 6 CD changer. Plus you get rear disc brakes instead of drums, which will cool better and resist fade more.

Then again, the base model has ABS anyway, and the unpainted cladding is more practical. The stuff is like teflon and resists scratches and chips far, far better than any paint would. You still get a CD player, AWD, same size rims and same tires, so it's a strong value if you are bargain hunting.

-juice
    Bob: yes, I have to admit that all-weather package is tempting given the climate here. And Juice, I had no idea about the upgraded brakes! Funny they don't play that up more on Subaru.com. Gives me a little more to think about.

And gee, if I go to the XS, it's not much more oif a leap to the Premium with that big moonroof ... oh my.

Next stop: test drive. Thanks again!

Casey
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The AWP package can benefit people outside of the snowbelt. The heated seats can be therapeutic for folks with back problems. It helped me when I tweaked my back last year. Also, the heated mirrors are great for quickly drying up morning dew as well as keeping them clear of rain.

Ken
  • erzhanerzhan Member Posts: 9
    One week ago went to dealership to let them check the problem with clicking sound I have when shifting from 2 to 3 gear.
    They checked it and told me that it is a "pinging" or "backfire" situation.
    SOA representative that happen to be at the dealer site this day suggested to apply recall WWF-89 to my car. (They told me - that this recall should fix backfire. Also serviceman told me that gasoline blend also affects backfire (They particularly blame BP blend). - Interesting suggestion.).
    Now I have this sound less othen when engine/trasmission are warmed-up, but still have it when transission is cold.
    Can anyone with backfire problem describe me sound. Because I hear some metallic click sound.
    I have one particular dumb question:
    How many gears (including overdrive) have Forester Automatic Trasmission?
    Owner's Manual says 4 - but does it include overdrive or not? Because while I'm driving I count transmission switching gears 4 times that makes it 5 gears?
    First upshift - around 10mph - from 1 to 2
    Second upshift - around 20-25 mph - from 2 to 3
    Third upshift - around 35-40 mph - from 3 to 4
    Fourth upshift - around 45-60 mph - from 4 to 5 (overdrive)?

As I already posted before - I hear some clicking sound when AT upshifting from 2 to 3 gear.
    I'm just confused - may be it's not transmission
    - may be it's something "turned on/off"/"shifted"
    somwhere in torque converter/"what else exists in powertrain"?
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Casey: I'm in the Twin Cities, too. I've been conducting an informal poll among Subie owners I meet, asking them what experiences (good & bad) they've had with local dealers. So far I have heard nothing but unhappiness with Morries. A few people spoke well of Metropolitan Subaru (Bloomington). Almost everyone likes White Bear Subaru (actually Vadnais Heights). You can test drive anywhere you prefer, but this might help when you get serious about buying.

Steve
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Hmmm do we actually (snuck in there by Subaru) have it and not know it?
    I think one of the shift you heard/felt maybe the AWD shift from 50/50 split to 80/20 (don't quote me on the split).

-Dave
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    only dumb answers (like this one?). I think the "fifth gear" is the torque converter locking up. I experienced the same thing, but since Rufus was my first AT I did not know that other ATs do not necessarily act that way.

Ross
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I bet you're feeling/seeing the torque converter lock-up in OD or 4th. We only wish the 4EAT (4 for 4 gears) was a 5EAT!

-Brian
  • caseymalcolmcaseymalcolm Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2000 Subaru Forester but I'm disappointed when my clutch started to slip. The dealer just told me that the clutch plate is worn down. The car only has 33,000 miles on it. I drove my Mazda over 110,000 miles with no similiar problems. Are others experiencing problems with the clutches on their Subarus? Thanks in advance!
    So what I thought is 4 to 5 upshift is a 'torque converter lock-up'?
    But I see on tahometer that engine start having less rpm's when it happens - so for me it looks like another upshifting.
    Is it suppose to be like that? And if everyone experiensing the same thing?

BTW: is this 'locking' a normal thing? Is it suppose to be? Because I never had this happened on another cars.
    Some mileage stats.
    Last year - in VA - mixed city/highway 20-24 mpg.
    Highway (~75mph) - Washington,DC - Baltimore, MD - 28.5 mpg.
    This year - in OH - city 19-21 mpg.
    Highway (~85mph) - Columbus,OH - Buffalo, NY - 24.5 mpg.

For me looks like at 75mph fuel economy is better than at 85mph.
    And the closer to sea-level - fuel economy is also better.
    the 4th is the OD?
    1->2 First shift
    2->3 Second shift
    3->4/OD (torque converter lockup) Third shift.

-Dave
    {non-technical reply}

The 4EAT is 4 gears, 4th being O/D. But, it kind of comes in 2 stages, locked and not locked. When 4th is first engaged, it's not locked. The ECU determines when to 'lock up' the converter to 4th, causing the RPM's to drop and hold much like they would in a manual. I believe 3rd may also exhibit this behavior, but it probably doesn't stay in 3rd long enough for this to happen (it shifts to 4th instead).

{pardon the non-techinical answer, I'm sure a more technical answer will come along shortly}

-Brian
    erzhan: unless Subaru is secretly field testing a 5 speed automatic with you (and I hope they are!), there are 4 ratios. The 4th is an overdrive because it's lower than 1:1.

My guess is one of the changes you sense is either the lockup torque converter, the AWD shifting power, or the rear LSD locking up.

I believe the torque converter locks up right after you get moving along, so it may be what you're feeling at 10mph. An auto tranny allows slip (it has to so you can idle while not moving forward), but once you get going and the engine and tranny are in synch in terms of speed, the torque converter locks 'em up so you don't lose energy.

Casey: slip is OK, you may still get a lot of miles out of that clutch. When it does fail, look at it as an opportunity to get an ACT clutch for some serious clamping power.

-juice
    :-)) I also thought about secret field testing of 5 speed AT :-))

I checked some articles on the web.
    I think what looks like upshifting at 45-55 mph is actually a torque converter clutch is locked.
    Looks like not all AT types have torque convertor. That's why I didn't saw this 'upshifting' on other cars.
    this may help explain a bit more...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

also, look up the one on automatic transmissions if interested.

-Brian
    I'd read that, but I was under the impression after reading http://www.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission3.htm that the process of shifting to fourth (being the overdrive) was the locking of the torque converter.

See why I was confused. :)

-Dave

• dstch82dstch82 Member Posts: 8
    With lower CoD (0.35 vs 0.40) and 90 lbs lighter than the 2002 model, why the mileage is one mile lower( 21/26 vs 22/27)?
    I believe that all overdrive Automatic transmissions (4 or 5 speed) have lockup torque converters. Some cheap transmissions (3 speed) do not. IIRC.

You'll notice the lockup part more when your vehicle/engine is cold. It'll shift into 4th (or OD), but the converter will not lockup until operating temperature is reached.

On our Outback, if you put the 4EAT in '2', it starts in 2nd and stays there. Starting from a standstill, you'll hear the engine rev quite like a manual as the vehicle starts to roll. This is a case of a torque converter NOT locked. You want slippage here so the engine and tranny can get to speed. Think of a locked torque converter in this case as starting a manual in 2nd from a standstill, but just letting the clutch out fully without getting the vehicle rolling.

-Brian
    Interesting. Could it be that the newer tires have more rolling resistance? Or maybe Subaru is being more conservative?

Ken
  • satyajeetsatyajeet Member Posts: 1
    I had the "Check Engine" light come on in my 2001 Forester S yesterday. The dealer applied recall WWF89 to fix it... on the work order it says that the oxygen sensor in the catalytic converter was replaced and reprogrammed. In reponse to the message by erzhan, I have not noticed the clicking sound while shifting from 2nd to 3rd... but will look out for it. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long this WWF89 recall has been active ?
    subearu May 30, 2002 4:40pm

Thanks Brian :)

-Dave
  • roadrunner69roadrunner69 Member Posts: 4
    FYI,

Edmund's has some of the 2003 info available at last. Obviously no TMV pricing this early, but invoice prices are there and at quick glance appear the same as VanBortel's prices. So...who is going to be the first one to post a review of the '03?? My first Subie won't be long in coming now! Happy reading!

Roadrunner
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Guess it was the virtual donuts that got the update in gear, Scirocco22 :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    I am surprised that with the addition of the automatic climate control in the '03 XS, no one has discussed it yet. Being controlled by mechanical dials rather than setting a precise temperature, I get the impression it is not as sophisticated or accurate as other systems.

To the new XS owners out there: How do you like the automatic climate control? Does it keep the temperature consistent even if you are driving in cloudy-to-sunny-to-cloudy conditions? Do you consider it "set and forget" to the point where you turn the car on and drive and never have to tinker with the temperature?

I am still considering trading up my '99 Forester L for an XS Premium, but I'm still on the fence if I will see a significant enough difference to justify the cost of upgrading.

Thanks!
    E
    Steve: Thanks for the tip. Here on the western fringes of St. Paul, all those suburban auto-dealer clusters are pretty much equidistant (emphasis on the "distant") from me. So Vadnais Heights here I come!

-- Casey
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I spent some time playing with several '03 Foresters today. I did not drive one because there was only one manual model on the lot and it was awaiting delivery. I won;t buy an auto, so I am holding out to drive a manual.

The interior has definitely gone upscale. Seats are much more comfortable (at least for the short time I sat in them) than the old ones. The fabrics in both models are much nicer and the dimpled vinyl on the dash and side panels looks very good. The leather steering wheel, shift knob and brake handle in the XS are also nice.

The tilt wheel adjustment finally has a spring so it does not fall into your lap when you release the lever. The paint colors are really spectacular, but they are offered in fewer combinations than before (for example, the XS is not available in white except in the monotone that is part of the sunroof package).
    The driver seat has only a single height adjustment, so you cannot adjust the tilt of the seat bottom independently. The door pockets are now mesh, so that you can see everything in them and the small storage compartments in the armrests no longer have covers, so everything there is visible too. This may be convenient in some respects but can also look cluttered and invite theft.

The top of dash compartment is larger than before and you already know about the TWO sunglasses compartments overhead. The glovebox also appears to be slightly larger. The front cupholders have been moved to the console which now has a 12 volt outlet in the storage compatment to charge a phone without the cord hanging over the shifter. The clock is moved to the top of the dash, just below the storage compartment. Unlike in the WRX, it stays if the optional auxillary instruments are mounted. The regular instruments have changed greatly. More on that below.

There is marginally more leg room in the back seat than before. Sitting in the back seat, you have a very enclosed feeling. The glass starts higher than before and is thus not as open.
    The X has three rotary knobs for HVAC controls, much better than the fan slider of before. The XS has automatic climate control with very simple rotary driver controls. One knob sets temperature, one manually overrides fan speed, one sets air distribution, just like in a manual system, and you can select either automatic or manual modes.
    The 16" steel wheels on the X are reasonably nice looking and from a distance might be mistaken for alloys. The alloys on the XS are OK, but IMHO not as nice as earlier ones. They expose almost the entire brake caliper assembly which is ugly.

Some bad points:

Price remains almost the same, in spite of some added features and upgrades, including side airbags now standard. However, some items have been deleted: Mud flaps (now optional for $150), the cargo compartment tray, the rear bumper protector. There are some new options such as a complete set of cargo nets. The deluxe package that previously also gave you upscale wheels and side airbags, now is only the sunroof and monotone paint, at the same price as before, thus, not as good a value.

The instruments are rotten. I think Subaru knows this because in the brochure there is not one interior shot that shows them. The tach is de-emphasized and placed on the right, the temp and fuel gauges on the left. The combined odometer readout is below the speedo, along with the outside temp gauge. The pointers are red and they are mounted in a shrouded cluster. I was hoping for the nice gauges with orange pointers as used on the WRX. The optional auxillary gauges are the same as before.

The seat fabric in the XS, while very attractive, has an embossed pattern that is a guaranteed crumb and dirt catcher. Likewise the deep tuck in the seat bottom in both models.

I was hoping for more power, but perhaps if rumors come true, it will happen next year.

I was not able to get information on gearing, but perhaps the poorer EPA mileage is a result of gearing changes.

Anyway, they are on the lots and the brochures are in.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What happens is

1->2
    2->3
    3->4 without lockup TC
    4->4 with locked TC

Basically the way an AT works is that you have the outputshaft from the engine that is providing power connected to a turbine/fan-blade type disc that is inside your torque converter filled with ATF. Inside this torque converter the spinning blades on the engine side spin the ATF that in turn spins the blades on the transmission side. Thus, this fluid can allow for slippage between the engine and the transmission, which is why you don't need to put it in neutral when your car is at a traffic light etc.

On a lot of new vehicles in 4th gear they can electronically "lockup" the torque converter which basically puts the 2 sides of the torque converter (engine and transmission sides) spinning at the same rate. On my Trooper for example both 3rd and 4th gear get locked up via electromagnetically controlled means connecting the tranny to the outputshaft.

Hope this helps.

-mike
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I also got to look at and sit in new Foresters yesterday. I agree with most of your points and to repeat them would be redundant on my part.

I am glad that the tops of the door panels aren't covered in cloth anymore. I wore the driver's side one down a little going through toll booths until I got an EZPass. The dimpled vinyl, which reminds me a bit of something you'd see in a VW, looks like it will be tough to keep clean. I can picture little pools of Vinylex, sweat, and gunk collecting in those dimples.

I do like the revised console and the additional 12V outlet for us "business travelers." I also like the HVAC controls but not sure about the gauge cluster. I'd never go for the optional gauge pack since I've come to really like the center storage bin on the dash top.

I don't care for the mesh door and console pockets, but I will say that I probably wouldn't scrape them the way I do the hard plastic door pockets when I reach down to adjust the seat with the door closed. I have mesh pockets on the back of the front seats already and like them.

Here's something I don't understand: why are the (extra-cost) mud flaps painted? Aren't they going to get chipped by flying gravel anyway? Please forgive my language but that seems asinine.

I'm trying harder but while the new car looks better in person than in photos, I still think the '98-'02 looks better. The side sculpting on the '03 is too busy, and the nice subtle fender bulges of the previous model are gone. (Note: I'm one of those who wishes the WRX wagon had fender buldges, too.) Rochcom - I did notice that the greenhouse glass starts higher; this makes the greenhouse look more integrated than in the '98-02, which I must admit looks a little like it was stretched vertically like a Silly Putty picture or Toyota Echo. While I haven't warmed up to the rear styling, the new rear glass does allow for more visibility than the old.

The XS Premium I sat in was red and had - gasp! - dealer-installed gold-plated chrome trim. I have never seen this on a Subaru and must say it is unbelievably tacky and jarring, especially with the new smoky blue background on the corporate logo. Of the new colors, I liked the black best (then again, I would) followed by the blue and green.

So this jury's still out. I'll have to drive one, now and hopefully when it receives more power.

Ed
    I know most people here think that the '04 Forester turbo will be a "federalized" version of the current Japanese-spec 2.0L XT, yet rumors of a 2.5L version persist...

If they do offer a 2.5L, I hope that it's not just going to be a "WRXed Forester;" by that I mean just a high-performance version of the existing Forester. I certainly want high performance, don't get me wrong; but I would hope the added displacement would be put to use by making the Forester more functional, in the *utility* sense. Yes, I mean increased towing , better off-road capability, etc.

If they just make it another speed demon, without addressing those other issues, I think a great opportunity will have been lost.

Bob
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318

OK, fellas/ladies. I got a few things to ask/talk about here.
    Gas mileage: I just did some calculations of my gas mileage over the Memorial Day weekend on my 2002 Subaru Forester S (now with 6500 miles on the odometer). Y'all tell me if these numbers sound normal for the vehicle, considering I had a fuel system issue that put it in the shop 9 days after I bought it. It has an automatic transmission, by the way. The mileage is in chronological order from oldest to most recent:

85% city/15% highway: 290.9 miles / 14.940 gallons / 19.47mpg

Ran the A/C about half the time here, since the week before Memorial Day was nice in Atlanta.
    95% highway/5% city: 372.4 miles / 14.071 gallons / 26.47mpg

Ran the A/C most of the drive during this stretch.
    95% highway/5% city: 377.0 miles / 15.008 gallons / 25.12mpg

During this stretch, I sat in stalled traffic for nearly an hour on the insterstate with the A/C on and off as needed.

Disconnecting the battery: I volunteered to try resetting the ECU in my vehicle to see if that solved some of the startup hesitation mentioned earlier. I was told that the radio presets would have to be reprogrammed. Is that all? What about the remote keyless entry (no security system). If I don't have to reprogam that, I'd like to know. I read the instructions on how to do it and didn't find the procedure to be the easiest in the world. Let me know, and I'll try the ECU reset this weekend.
    Thanks,
    burnsmr4
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    I test drove a 2003 yesterday. I had never driven an automatic Forester before and was surprised by the relatively high RPM's when accelerating. The tachometer reached 4000-4500 several times when accelating to highway speed. Is the Forester geared differently than the Outback? The Outback weighs several hundred pounds more than the Forester and yet the mileage is the same.
    burnsmr4 -- IMO, your city milage looks a little on the low side, but nothing to be alarmed about, and your highway milage looks fine. What speed were you averaging on the highway. I've found that going over the 80mph barrier greatly reduces milage.

dcab -- Gearing might be different between the two models, but what I think you might be seeing is a relatively new TCU. You'll find that two vehicles with the same specs, one driven differently compared to the other will exhibit different shift points due to what the TCU has "learned".

Ken
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I wish Edmund's would get around to incorporating a search function here - it's been all talk here - maybe you can use your newfound influence to get it done! ;-) Anyway my point is that I proposed the "tarmac package" and "gravel package" for the Forester some time ago, and I think it'd be appropriate again. There's a place in the stable for a high-performace, sleeper, Audi-killer Forester as well as a dual-range, rockhopping, towing Forester.

Ed
    burnsmr4 May 31, 2002 7:49am

Here's MRT's version:

http://www.wrx.org.au/tech/

You got to scroll down to "How to reset your ECU (without disconnecting your car battery!)"

-Dave

but I think you've greatly over-estimated my new-found power. ;)

I just think a 2.5L (vs. a 2.0L) engine, could open the doors to a potentially (much) larger market for the Forester. Not only will it attract speed freaks (like most of us), but also (more) utility freaks too.

Bob
    Isn't the mileage the same? I think you are comparing a 5 speed with an automatic.

I won't miss the upscale wheels on the old Premium package, didn't they have the gold highlights? I prefer the ones without the gold.

Also, side air bags are standard, so it's not like the Premium loses anything. Yes, the package still costs the same, but IMO it's still a bargain. For the cost of a tiny aftermarket moonroof you get a huge one.

-juice
    I'd prefer a 2.5l light-pressure turbo for the low-end torque, the off-boost throttle reponse basically.

Look at how easy to tune the 1.8T VW engine is. A $360 chip would take a 150hp engine close to 200hp. So I hope Subaru comes out with a 200hp LPT, good for towing and off road.

The speed freaks (like me) can just chip it to produce maybe 240hp or so. Droooool!

-juice
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    I'd say your MPG are "ballpark". Especially the highway oriented driving. I'm curious about your usual highway speed. I recently did a trip to the Black Range here in NM (200 miles round trip). Essentially the same trip I had done about a month ago. A monthy ago I averaged about 27 MPG w/ cruise set at 65 MPH. Same trip this time, cruise set on 75 MPH, and the MPG was 25+. My city driving MPG has been as low as 19+ and as high as 24+. I have a manual.
This discussion has been closed.