Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Hey, we've got a few things in common: a liking for touring coupes, height and beer consumption -- you've got me by a few pounds though ;)

Just my received my issue of Road & Track today. It contains a comparison between the Eclipse GT and the Altima Coupe 3.5 SE (pages 86 - 89). The Nissan is quicker, lighter, nimbler and more powerful. The Mitsu is more cohesive. In this comparison, the "whole" beats out the "sum of the parts".
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...you've got me by a few pounds though..."

All that weight comes from my huge rippling muscles. ;)

Is that the August issue of R&T? What did they mean by cohesive? Sounds like they were happy it didn't fall apart.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yep. It's the August issue.

"What did they mean by cohesive?..." Cohesive, as in, it is a better overall interpretation of a front drive sports coupe than the Nissan.
    Really? That's cool. I guess I'm just conditioned to expect slaps from the press every time Mitsu products are mentioned.

It's surprising that they didn't like the Nissan better. Nissan had two years of listening to people pick apart the Eclipse. You would think they would incorporate that into their design.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Mitsubishi makes a really good car now. I guess I mentioned that my friend owns a dealership and he lets me see warranty statistics (not personal files) and let me tell you, the warranty claims are very VERY low on the entire product fleet out there right now. What better proof could you want? Try that at VW!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Lancer's have already experienced a Warranty item. That was the rear window sash recall. Apparently it is to insure that the rear door stays closed in "certain crash impact angles." I don't know if it was required by the NHTSA or what.

What was nice about my Lancer's fix on that recall was that my servicing dealer did their job and looked up any applicable recalls while I was getting my Lancer GTS' first L-O-F. So it just took an extra couple of hours to finish my work order that day is all.

I really don't mind recalls because they insure a safe vehicle and they don't cost anything and I either go shopping nearby with a ride from the dealer van or peruse the other new cars on their lot while my car is getting done. Other than that we're approaching 6,000 miles and all's well. A recall on one of my two Kia's never influenced my attitude towards Kia Motors at all. If it was done right I was fine with a recall. And they always were done right and done quickly.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I think recalls are a way of life for modern car companies. Any car in it's first year is bound to have a few glitches. I'd rather have a recall or two than have my gas tank explode because the company thought it was cheaper to pay a settlement to my heirs.

I was reading a review of the Outlander and I was impressed with the skid-pad of .80g. That's pretty good grip for a vehicle with a high center of gravity. How did they do that(tires, suspension)? My current old clunker has a skid-pad of .76 and I like it's cornering.

interesting fact on the Outlander skidpad number. I don't know about you but for a SUV the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander just looks like it would handle well. It's in the stance.

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer(espec.the GTS)just looks menacing from the front. Like a Sabrejet fighter or something.

I was hooked when I first started seeing '08 Lancer's on the net. When I saw that well-designed tail-end I knew I had to have one. This all came together around the first week of Feb.'07. By then I had logged about 200 hours of research on the net and in car magazines on this car. ;)

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've yet to really hammer my Outlander around corners but it seems like it would do well.

The steering is tight and the ride is firm. It handled better than other SUV's I test drove.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    man, the '08 Lancer GTS just asks you to gun it in to turns!
    It is a gas to drive that car! I'm not tiring of it at all.

Do you have the 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo? Awesome stereo that gets the bass a thumpin' good and loud.

Shame that mitsu bundles it with a couple grand of other things.

Yeah, $1700 for the Rockford/Fosgate and the sunroof in the Outlander.

Wife had to have the sunroof, and I'm lovin' the stereo, so I guess it's worth it.
    out well for my wife and I. They do come at a cost but I found that those two things, the stereo and the sunroof, we both wanted. I don't think they're overpriced, but they do have some cost to them, yes.

My point is that there isn't anything that I want with my Lancer GTS that is bundled with something I don't want. That probably would bother me if that were the case but it's not. I don't know if that's by Mitsubishi design or it just worked out that way.

"...I mentioned that my friend owns a dealership..."

Maybe you can ask your friend the question I posed in post #389. On Mitsu cars is the color listed as Rave red for 2008 the same color they called Pure red in 2007? Or is it just some marketing gimmick? I notice they have a Rally red for the Lancer which IS different.

Okay I sent him an e-mail so we'll see.
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    Rave Red is NOT the same as Pure Red. I have seen the new Rave Red on a 2008 Eclipse and it looks GREAT !
    "...it looks GREAT!..."

Thanks for the info. How is it different, darker, more orange, metallic etc.?

I have to confess to a weakness for cars with crimson red paint jobs. Some of the domestics have it and it is really attractive to me. Oh god, I better watch out or I'll be driving around in an old Taurus! :cry:

Rave Red is a bright metallic, where Pure Red was not metallic at all. Ultra Red Pearl is metallic, but it is much darker than the Rave Red .
    no, man, get one of those GMC Yukons, or their large SUV, seems to me they have that shade of red. Whenever I see one I think, what a waste of good metal, wires, plastic, rubber and components!

But they do the red right, though.

"...get one of those GMC Yukons..."

There's not enough red in the world to get me into one of those. I'll stick with my 1985 Ford F-150 if I want to drive a top heavy truck that gets 12mpg. (Maybe I'll paint it red) :blush:

The dealer hasn't seen Rave Red in the "flesh" yet but he says it's not the same as pure red.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=103925

Looks like this little cross-over is based on the (next-gen???) COLT platform and the survivor of the ill-fated Smart ForMore idea.
    Speaking of the COLT, Mitsu's B-segment car is due for a redesign, considering that the 1st generation was launched in Japan in the fall of 2002.
    That is correct.
    but I'm sure stuck on my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' looks. So much so that I don't know if I'd cross back over to crossovers/SUV's again.

This one has some design hints from the Lancer and I sure do like Mitsu's latest designs. They are on a large roll and judging from how our '08 Lancer's are built they're getting the producibility and reliability spot on as well.

What would you call that car? Is it a SUV, a crossover, a wagon? It looks OK but usually drawings don't give you a real feel for what the vehicle will look like.

I think it could be a hit for Mitsu with the current interest in all things "green". However, what's with the bamboo interior? I can just see opening your door and finding a Panda munching on you dash. ;)

Mitsubishi Year 2007 to Date Sales Ahead 17% - Off 1% in July

CYPRESS, Calif., Aug. 1, 2007 -- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) today reported July sales of 10,347 units, down 1% from last year's July volume of 10,502. Calendar year-to-date sales of 70,357 are up 17% compared to last year's first-seven-months total.

Sales of the fuel efficient 2008 Lancer sedan and the Outlander crossover
    sport utility continue to lead the way:

-- Lancer was the volume leader at 3,126, up 51% from last year's volume;
    and up 96% from last year's CYTD volume.
    -- Outlander closed at 2,282 units, up 293% from last year's volume; and
    up 176% from last year's CYTD volume.
    -- Based on Daily Sales Rate (DSR -- 25 days in 2006 vs. 24 days in 2007)
    MMNA July sales were actually up 3%.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/08/01/056954.html
    Thanks to Elgatoloco's Peugeot/Mitsu posts (and a few beers), the following facts and thoughts came together for me...

Facts: Mitsu builds the turbos employed in the new BMW 3 and 5 series (http://www.windingroad.com/features-page/bmw-335i/). Peugeot sells rebadged Mitsu Outlanders. Peugeot and Mini collaborated on the engine of the Cooper S and now Peugeot has released it's version dubbed the 207 GTi. Mini is owned by BMW.

Speculation: Maybe Peugeot is the cover that allowed Mitsu and BMW collaborate while Mitsu was a part of DCX. Since the WRX and Evo are battling each other for pocket books of the “practical” enthusiast, is BMW tapping Mitsu to help them do battle with Audi’s A3/S3 on the luxury end of the market?
    Hmmmm... Again they leave out the sales figures for the Eclipse. Is it selling that bad?

I see on the Mitsu site that they have a $4500 rebate on the 2007 Raider. That's based on the Dakota right? I see they don't mention sales of that one either,

I read the article you linked and they say go to Mitsu media. When you get there you have to have a reporter's password to go any farther. What don't they want the public to know? :confuse:

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The new Raider truck, for which there is little marketing support, has sold only 2,000 units through June; in comparison, the Dodge Dakota, based on the same platform, has sold 29,000 units, and even that's down 28 percent on the year," link

Model 2007 2006 Change

Eclipse 12,256 13,188 -7.1 percent

(more at this link)

The Lancer and Outlander are saving their bacon.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    You'll find that not all carmakers provide a model-by-model breakdown of sales.
    Mitsubishi isn't hiding anything, they are doing what many companies (regardless of industry) do, paint the rosiest picture possible.
    Mitsubishi especially needs to do this, given the media assault that predicted the company's impending departure from the U.S. from 2005 to 2006.
    Thanks for that link Steve. Great info.

That article mentions a "minor" refresh for the Eclipse for 09'. Any info on what that will be? I know with the last generation, the mid cycle refresh was only to change the tail lights from red to clear.

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    There will be a Ralliart Eclipse added to the line-up.

I don't know any of the performance / appearance / availability details yet, or if it will be offered in both the GS and GT trims .

The tail lights will go back to being red.

OK... That last sentence there was just kiddin'- but I'm pretty dang sure about the first sentence.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    So how long before Mitsubishi dumps the Raider? They are offering $4500 in rebates this month, and they aren't selling many.

Seems to me Mitsubishi should focus on cars and SUVs, and stay out of the truck market (which is a tough market to enter, and become a real player in).
    I think that the current Raider will bite the dust next year, with 2008 being the final model year. That Dakota, upon which it is based, is old and should be getting an overhaul for 2009. Just my thoughts though, I have no evidence to support this.

Mitsu actually builds a pickup called the Triton and sells it in other markets. I guess they can't make a business case to sell it here in the States. I agree with you, Mitsu should concentrate on the car and SUV market for now.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Mitsubishi Japan never really wanted the Dakota Raider in the first place. When Finbarr O'Neall became CEO after the disaster of Pierre Gagnon he wanted to suck up to Daimler - probably figuring he could wiggle his way into one of the top slots at DCX - He is pretty much 100% responsible for the Raider concept. Heck, maybe he thought it would work. Imagine his surprise when DCX dumped Mitsubishi!!! (He's running an auto parts warehouse now, or something, isn't he?) Anyway, the most common agreement on these re-badge deals are 5 years. So...all thing being equal, 3 down, 2 to go.

It's not that bad of a truck - better looking than the stock Dakota anyway - Just the wrong time to peddle a pickup truck to people who don't really need one that much.

Maybe Mitsubishi can get out of the deal by throwing a bone to the 3 headed dog from hell, since I'm sure they're hungry right now. Might be a nice change of pace talking business with people who aren't interested in stabbing you in the back after picking your pocket.

I'm not sure about the economics of bringing the Mitsubishi Triton to North America either but I have seen pictures of the truck and read a lot about it also. There was an article in the Canadian auto press not long ago by some guy who had been test driving one up there somewhere and he was quite impressed. It's a top seller in Asia and Europe but like you guys say, tough market here.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I guess the main advantage to the Raider is the 60K bumper to bumper warranty. You can also take advantage of the $4500 in rebates (on top of a below invoice deal to begin with - I'm sure), but you have to be willing to accept that the truck is a bit of an "odd duck", and will be worth next to nothing if you try to re sell in 5 years.
    "...60K bumper to bumper warranty..."

Is that better than the new warranty Chrysler just came out with? Would Dakota have the advantage?

The new DCX warranty is still only 3/36 for bumper to bumper and 4ever on powertrain.
    60K vs 36K on basically the same truck and Dakota outsells Raider 14 to 1? People are dumb sometimes.

Yeah, dumb.
    How many more Dodge dealers are there than Mitsubishi dealers, though, especially in rural areas.

Also, no marketing. I didn't realize Mitsu sold a Dakota knockoff until I saw one on the lot after I bought my Outlander.
    "...Also no marketing..."

Boy, ain't that the truth. I know that Mitsu has to watch the pennies given their shaky finances and all but common guys, put a few ads on TV.

Chrysler did a good PR series a while back. They called it "Inspired Drives". They would come to your city, rent a big empty parking lot and let you drive all their cars. You could drive an autocross course, race down a drag strip or take a wild ride with a stunt driver. It was a blast seeing a big 300 up on two wheels screeching and burning rubber. I started saving up to buy a Crossfire that day.

Why can't Mitsu do something like that?

did you ever buy a Crossfire?

Mitsubishi has put some '08 Lancer ads on...the one where the two guys in the Lancer go around the freeway cloverleaf another time just for prosperity. And it's in a CVT Lancer GTS in Rally Red, too!

Whoo-hoo! Lovin' mine!

"...did you ever buy a Crossfire?..."

Nah, by the time I had enough money to even put a down payment on one they put production on hiatus. I doubt they will resume with the break up. It was basically an MB SLK under the skin. Problem was it was underpowered by today's standards.

However, all that savings has given me enough to buy an Eclipse, so it's all good.

I've seen that Lancer commercial. It's funny. I really like that Rally Red color. That's why I was fussing about this new Rave red on the Eclipse a few posts ago. I was hoping it would be close to the color on your Lancer.

The Outlander ads they had earlier this year were cool, too. That's what got me to look at them.

GM had a test track deal in Las Vegas last year where you could drive Vettes, Hummers, Saabs, Caddys, etc.

The Vette was a lot of fun. They had an off_road course for the Hummers. I tried a H3. Great off-road capabilites, but a total dog in acceleration.
    commerical with the skateboarders a lot and I like it. I think it does draw the audience in to take a look at the new Outlander.

oldfarmer...so, refresh us on the Rave Red color on the Eclipse. Is it going to do the trick, or nay?

"...refresh us on Rave red..."

If it look like the Lancer's Rally red I would say so. Of course Mrs. farmer likes the Sunset Pearlesent so who knows...

I thought you mentioned that you had seen a picture of this Rave Red and that you liked it well enough.

I do like Mrs. Farmer's color choice as well. One of the cool things about the new Eclipse concept car a few years ago that I noticed and liked a bunch. :)

No, that was some one else who posted that. I still have to see car colors in person. I don't trust the color reproduction on this old monitor of mine. ( By the way, does any one else have a monitor that starts up with a hand crank on the side?) ;)

Hey, at least you can blame the monitor. It's still tough for me really see the color of a car when using a computer. I need it to be physically present so that I can see how the contours of the vehicle play with the light. Old age, I guess.

Like Mrs. Farmer and "iluvmy...", I really like that burnt orange on the Eclipse. Not so much on the Galant though.