Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    a spoiler like this. This is a larger spoiler than the one
    on the Eclipse I saw at the Super 8 in Grants, NM, on July 21st, 2007, that I commented on liking. This one is good but the one I saw was skinnier and looked a titch better.

Just from the pics it looks as if it's tacked on at the corners. Might just be the angle, can't say from the size of the pic.
    I still wonder why the Eclipse is such a slow seller for Mitsubishi?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    "...a spoiler like this..."

That's the spoiler on the "SE" trim which is a pimped up Eclipse. It also has some cosmetic stuff and is the only trim level with stability control.

Personally I think it is kind of dumb.

I don't even understand why they use the moniker "SE" for this one. The 2007 model had a "SE" trim that was based on the 4-cyl. GS model but with different features. This one is on the GT model. It's just too confusing. :confuse:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...It looks as if it's tacked on at the corners..."

Kind of like dressing up a pretty girl like a hooker, there's just no need for it! The original thin spoiler which is on all the other trim levels is much better looking.

"...I still wonder why the Eclipse is such a slow seller..."

Boy, that subject has been debated on a lot of boards including this one. The sports car fans say it is too nose heavy and too heavy in general. I have to agree with that to some extent. They also complain about understeer which is a problem with any front driver so to single out Eclipse is not entirely fair.

I think the biggest thing that makes Eclipse sell slowly is that it got trashed by the press when it first came out. Particularly Consumer Reports was absolutely savage in its review. They named it "the most disappointing new car of 2006". The rest of the auto press was less than glowing as well.

Now Mitsu seems to be giving up too. Last year they put a $1000 rebate on it for November and then uped it to $2000 from December on. I just checked the Mitsu site and for 2008 they say they are keeping only a $500 rebate until January. I think they are giving up. They sold about 2400 units a month last year. This year they are only moving 1800 or so.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    similar to having Kobe Bryant or Britney Spears say they don't like it. Throw in Sean Penn for good measure. Who cares what CR thinks?

I certainly don't. I would've looked closer at the Hyundai Tiburon and Mitsubishi Eclipse but I need a four-door. The '08 Lancer GTS came along with what I needed and then some more...and more...and more.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Hey. Don't shoot the messenger...

Mitsubishi Reports 15.8% Year-To-Date Increase Through October
    click here
    November 1, 2007 -- Cypress, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) today reported October sales of 9,280, virtually unchanged from last year's October volume of 9,288. Calendar year-to-date (CYTD) sales are 115,106, remaining well ahead of the first ten months of last year (99,392), up 15.8% compared to last year's first-ten-months total.

The new Outlander crossover sport utility showed the biggest year-over-year increase in October, while Endeavor SUV, Eclipse Spyder convertible, and Raider pickup truck sales for the month also ran ahead of last year.

October sales highlights:

Outlander closed at 1,274 units, up 168% from last year's volume; and up 172% from last year's CYTD volume.
    Sales of the all-new fuel efficient Lancer continue to run far ahead of last year, up 62% for the year-to-date.
    Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were up 8.1% in October, and are up 16% year-to-date.
    Raider sales were up 110% for the month, and are up 8.6% year-to-date.
    Endeavor sales were up 18.7% in October.
    Galant sales are up 1.7% CYTD.
    Mitsubishi's January-October sales represent the best sales for the first ten months of the year since 2004.
    Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 500 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
    Kind of like dressing up a pretty girl like a hooker, there's just no need for it! The original thin spoiler which is on all the other trim levels is much better looking.

I guess, but some cars look good with a spoiler others don't. I've never driven an Eclipse which is why I was wondering about the reason they were poor sellers for Mitsubishi. Nose heavy and lots of understeer sounds bad, small wonder they don't sell well if that's the case.
    "...Hey, Don't shoot the messenger..."

Don't worry Mike, it'll just be a flesh wound. (Start broken record) Why do they tell us the figures for the Eclipse Spyder but not the coupe?

Maybe I'll call them up and ask them.

"...Nose heavy and lots of understeer sounds bad..."

Not really, most of the FWD sport coupes have the same characteristics. It just seems to me that the press and the sports car fans pick on Eclipse more.

Attended the local car show last night and much to my surprise they had all four contenders for my limited car buying dollar. Mitsu Eclipse, Altima coupe, Accord coupe and Pontiac G6 coupe.

Here's my non-expert review.

Eclipse: They had the SE trim with that stupid wing. That was OK though because Mitsu was the only vendor to have a salesman available to ask questions of. You sit low in the Eclipse so I had him put the hood down to check vision, it was OK. Interior was nice, very simple. No telescoping steering wheel (all other had it). Sunroof made the headroom too low. Bummer, because they package things like the Rockford Fosgate stereo with the sunroof so if you delete one you lose the rest. Over all nothing too bad that would eliminate the Eclipse from my list.

Pontiac: Nice styling front and rear. Some shortie had left the power seat up all the way so I had to sit in the passengers seat to check headroom (it was OK even with the sunroof.) That was a big plus. The interior seemed cheap compared to the other cars. I never understood that dig at domestic makers until now. Maybe this was because the model they had was the cheaper GT trim not the GXP that I want. Biggest back seat of the bunch.
    To be continued...

Nissan: From a "just sitting in it" point of view this was the biggest disappointment. The Altima seemed small and cramped inside. The interior was a tad better than the G6 but not quite as nice as the Eclipse. The car looked really good from the rear but the front end was, well, dumpy looking. This car has the best performance numbers on paper so I'll still think about it.

Honda: The new coupe is very sharp looking. It has a back end that looks as good as the Nissan and a very aggressive nose. It was the interior that caught my eye though. The best of the group by far. Very stylish and futuristic looking. Same headroom problem as in the rest but that could have been due to the power seat being left too high.
    As far a being a good looking car with a fantastic interior the Accord is the hands down winner. The 29K price tag puts it out of my reach though.

So the conclusion is mixed here folks. All four of my pics have the same basic pluses and minuses. I guess I'll have to do the test drive thing before I make my final choice.

Eclipse: They had the SE trim with that stupid wing. That was OK though because Mitsu was the only vendor to have a salesman available to ask questions of. You sit low in the Eclipse so I had him put the hood down to check vision, it was OK. Interior was nice, very simple. No telescoping steering wheel (all other had it). Sunroof made the headroom too low. Bummer, because they package things like the Rockford Fosgate stereo with the sunroof so if you delete one you lose the rest. Over all nothing too bad that would eliminate the Eclipse from my list.

It sounds like you really like the Eclipse. It's a good looking car. I'd never buy any coupe but my needs are different than yours.
    Just make sure you drive it for a while to be sure you like it. I've lost track of how many cars I liked when I sat in them in the showroom but hated to drive once I was behind the wheel in traffic or on the highway.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Eclipse is definitly better looking to my taste out of these four
    "...It sounds like you really like the Eclipse..."

Definitely the best looking. They are all pretty sharp though.

BTW,I saw some of the cars you mentioned. There was a white Mazda speed3 hatchback there. It had good headroom and nice driving position. Only about 23-24K. I thought like the EVO it would be over 30K.

They had a Lancer ES there. I asked the sales guy where was the GTS and he told me that somebody named iluv bought them all...just kidding. Seems there was such demand for that trim that they can't make enough of them. Mitsu did a good job with that one.

I also saw the new Impreza. Isn't that what your Subie is based on? Nice update. Didn't catch the price but you'd want the performance version anyway.

• dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    Very interesting to see that Mitsubishi still makes use of creative statistics.

Mitsubishi: Outlander closed at 1,274 units, up 168% from last year's volume; and up 172% from last year's CYTD volume.

Sales of the new Outlander are down close to 50% over the last six months. The new Nissan Rogue is killing it. I doubt that you'll see Mitsubishi post a 168% increase next month--they sold over 1600 Outlander's last November.
    "...Mitsubishi stillmakes use of creative statistics..."

This is one of my consistent rants. I don't blame them for trying to put the best spin on things but I'd like to see the raw numbers too.

By the way dave82, where are you getting your info. Those actual numbers usually only show up in trade mags like Automotive News and Ward's. Tough to access unless you pay.

Do you have any numbers on the Eclipse coupe for October 2007?

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Nissan Rogue is not a direct competition to the Outlander. It's more of a competition to CRV and to some other small 4 cylinder CUVs. It has only 170hp, no navigation, no music server, no climate control, and no 3-rd row seat. So Rogue is more basic vehicle.
    Definitely the best looking. They are all pretty sharp though.

I haven't seen the Accord Coupe in person yet. I'm lucky I have time to even post online. But the coupe looks nice for a Coupe. I used to love coupes.

BTW,I saw some of the cars you mentioned. There was a white Mazda speed3 hatchback there. It had good headroom and nice driving position. Only about 23-24K. I thought like the EVO it would be over 30K.

Wow the Speed3 must have been a Canadian Model because the US doesn't get a white Speed 3!
    Still if it was offered in white I'd probably lean more towards it because white in New England is as stealthy as you can get!

They had a Lancer ES there. I asked the sales guy where was the GTS and he told me that somebody named iluv bought them all...just kidding. Seems there was such demand for that trim that they can't make enough of them. Mitsu did a good job with that one.

Yes the Lancer especially the GTS is quite a good looking car for what amounts to a high end economy car. If you price shop it you won't get much car for it's base price that's as nice. The GTS trim gives you everything for a very reasonable price.

I also saw the new Impreza. Isn't that what your Subie is based on? Nice update. Didn't catch the price but you'd want the performance version anyway.

Yes it's the newer version of what I have but mechanically it's inferior and costs more. Mine at the moment is on it's last legs without a major overhaul.
    The attitude Subaru had towards the WRX has made me decide without driving the new one to not buy it. I'm happy with my interior well worn as it is.
    The WRX is the performance version but the STi at $35K+ is the ultimate version. seems a lot of money as it did last time and the updates aren't enough to make me drool over it. I was very disappointed and as a result will not buy a new WRX. I'm waiting for prices in November then I'll be considering what I will buy.
    $29K is too much for me to spend on an Accord and the sedan isn't offered with a V6 and a manual so Honda lost a potential sale from me. The diesel is on my list and that's why i'm biding my time. my wife will get whatever I buy now if I opt for a diesel Accord later. it's too big a car for er to drive comfortably. I do too much highway to want a 4 cyl unless it's a turbo. My wife now thinks the Smart car is cute and wants to drive it. :confuse:
    I can see it if we were in heavy city driving but it's rural roads and no manual tranny. Also too many hills and too much snow.
    Have you listed your preferences or are you going to just buy the Eclipse?
    "...the US doesn't get a white Speed3!..."

I wondered about that and when I was back there this morning I checked. Turns out the Speed3 hatch I was looking at was very light silver. In the lights it looked white. 6speed MT with turbo for almost exactly 23K.

You sure know your Mazdas.

"...Have you listed your preferences or are you going to just buy the Eclipse?..."

The Eclipse is my car to beat but I haven't ruled any of them out. The Pontiac has a price close to the Mitsu. The Nissan has a slight performance edge but is $1000 more with no rebates. The Honda seems like a luxury car but the price is out of my league (when you close the door there is no sound).

I'll have to test drive at least one of the others before I can say if the Eclipse is my true front runner.

The Eclipse is my car to beat but I haven't ruled any of them out. The Pontiac has a price close to the Mitsu. The Nissan has a slight performance edge but is $1000 more with no rebates.

I'd take a Mitsubishi over a GM product any day. I had my fill of GM back in 1996. Last year I bought any domestic car. So far they have shown the same level of stubbornness
    that made me switch from them in the first place.
    But it's best to try all the ones you like.
    You're a lucky man, Oldfarmer. You get to drive and ultimately choose to buy one of four very good coupes. Thanks for the update. Let us know what your impressions are after the test drives.

We don't get the car show here (NC) until first quarter of 2008.

I'll send our man Psychogun a note about the Eclipse Coupe sales figures.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "dave82" - I am just curious what your "ax to grind" with Mitsubishi is. I just find it odd that when you click on your profile, and look at your most recent posts, they all are bashing Mitsubishi.

Keep in mind, I am not saying any of the numbers, theories, or comments you are posting are wrong, I just find it odd that all of your posts revolve around bashing Mitsubishi.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    One thing to keep in mind with sales of coupe's in general is that they are trend driven and also cyclical. This is due to the buyer demographic this type of vehicle is aimed at (younger, trend/style conscious, etc.).
    Usually sales are very good in the beginning (consumer excitement), then fall off, then they recover to settle within a range, and finally start to decrease as time goes on.
    The Eclipse is now in it's third year, and as such, I would not be surprised to see sales now in that final stage (and thus lower than last year).
    A slight refresh next year may reignite sales for a little bit, especially if there are also mechanical changes/improvements.
    "...sales of coupes in general...are trend driven and also cyclical..."

That's true of all cars but especially of coupes. My gripe is that Mitsu for some reason doesn't make sales figures readily available.

You mention the minor refresh for 2009. I wonder what they are planning for the Eclipse. If they would get rid of that cast-iron block on the GT I think it would improve handling a bit. Have you heard anything specific?

Speaking of trend driven, have you read the latest Edmund's comparison between the Altima and Accord coupes? A few months ago Edmunds was saying the Altima was the best thing since sliced bread. Now they say the Accord is the new golden boy and Altima is a piece of poorly made junk that rides bad.

I guess it's not just us consumers who are fickle. ;)

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    As mentioned before, most car makers will, at one time or another, be selective about the data they provide in their monthly sales press releases. It certainly is frustrating for those of us who like transparency in numbers. Again, Mitsubishi is not alone in this.
    One thing to realize, this does not mean that the numbers are doctored, or that they are being "creative".
    As you may recall, when Mitsubishi was selling well from 2000 to 2003, they provided the full details for each model.
    PR runs that fine line of making things look wonderful without breaking any laws. ;)
    To all you Mitsubishi nuts I wish you a happy turkey day. In the end you can buy all the iron you want but you only have one family. Get up early and walk the Mitsu lot and get your fix for the day. Then go tell all those people how much they mean to you (I don't mean the salesman) and forget about cars. :D

some people just don't know how to have fun! Go tell all of those salespeople how much they mean to you, too. ;)

Enjoy your Mitsubishi's and here's to the NY Jets upsetting the Dallas Cowboys this afternoon!

Yeah, right. :sick:

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Yeah I was rooting for the Jets myself. Least they could have done is injured a few of them and beat them up for the Packers next week. :P
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    same thing my son and I were hoping for!

Someone's got to fall here...we've got the Pack, Pats, Cowboys and Dolts...I...mean...Colts, all winning entirely too much.

One of those teams will have two losses after next week's games, yes.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've got to disagree about the Packers winning too much, but I think Dallas will be too much for them next week.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    "...tell all those salespeople..."

Yea, and watch the prices go up.

I was wandering a Mitsu lot Sunday and saw a Lancer GTS. Very sharp, nice wheels. The base model isn't bad but the GTS just has that something extra.

This was the same dealer who told me there were no GTS trims available. Go figure.

Oh yea, I'm pulling for Miami, love those underdogs. ;)

'08 Lancer GTS models on their lot right now. I was gonna go for an ES, a middle model Lancer, but quickly realized that I would not be able to equip it with all of the parts I wanted...like that great body kit, Rockford Fosgate 650-watt stereo with subwoofer, etc. That body kit rocks!

I have noticed several people getting the lower models and that's fine if they have what you want or you can add what you want and still be happy with the end result automobile. I needed the GTS and it has treated me well.

Was hoping the Eagles would bop the Pats last night but to no avail. Close.

Oldfarmer. It's basically December at this point. What are you gonna do about buying a sport(y) coupe(hatch)?

Over the weekend, I was at a stop light, right behind an Altima Coupe and a G6 coupe pulls up next to it. The G6 was dark red and the Nissan was red. So I asked my wife which one she liked the best and she replied "Aren't they the same car?".
    "...What are you going to do about buying..."

Well, right now I'm doing the rebate wait and see. There are no rebates on the Accord or Altima coupes (too new, still too popular) so I know where I stand there.
    The G6 coupe has $1500 rebate so that's looking good (even though it is my least favorite). The Eclipse is the wild card. Last year they had a $1000 rebate in November which they bumped to $2000 in December. So far for the 2008 models they have been stuck at $500 since July. I think they are doing this just to annoy me. This is why I have been such a pest for Eclipse sales figures. If sales are down rebates may rise.

Well in another week I'll know if Mitsu is going to play ball.

PS I like you wife's comment. Mine said "get what you want as long as it isn't red"

way to Frankfurt for show.

Enjoy the European Lancer, too, isn't it hot? Love that Rally Red paint job, too.

Now the upper car, the new Mitsubishi Concept-cX, is a new design for "cutting a swath through the urban environment." While the Lancer is just plain gorgeous this new Concept-cX has a look that is growing on me. I liked the look of the Scion xA and I think I prefer it to their new Scion xD, the xA's replacement. Study the front of this Concept-cX and study it's staunch stance swooping up towards the front. I really like the latest design lean from Mitsubishi and this is going to be a crossover that I am going to start to follow development on.

Here's some features of the new Mitsubishi Concept-cX. This is a European version so take note of what you know we won't get as you read these.

* 1.8L clean diesel engine with variable geometry turbo for boost control
    (The European Lancer also gets this motor)

* New Twin Clutch SST(Sport Shift Transmission)

* Diesel particulate filter in exhaust for cleaner emissions

* Diesel oxidation catalyst

* Electronically-controlled 4WD

* 19-inch tires for great handling

* Excellent fuel economy (though numbers were not yet available they are no doubt
    pretty impressive with the diesel engine)

* Low emissions

* Has a tailgate like the new Outlander does for easier load/unload operation

* Easy to maneuver and park this little trooper

* Interior trim materials are Mitsubishi's Green Plastic (made from plant based
    resins to show that Mitsubishi Motors is doing their part to reduce harmful
    hydrocarbons and reduce global warming trends)

I've thought of getting an Outlander after this Lancer GTS but this might fit my bill better than an Outlander. Then again, I quite possibly will go for another Lancer in 5 or 6 years, too. But anyway, I thought I'd share this little giblet for y'all to peruse and comment on. I do like Mitsubishi's design vision of late. Very nice.

Oh, BTW, a while back I mentioned not knowing where Finbarr O'Neill of Hyundai Motors, USA, then Mitsubishi Motors NA, was at these days. When he left Mitsubishi in 2004 he went to Reynolds and Reynolds Co. Umm...are we talking aluminum production company, here, anyone know? I could probably Google it I spose.

I like the Concept cX. I'm off of Mitsubishi products at the moment. The price is just too high for me and so far the results seem unimpressive. Subaru's STI looks like a winner. Also too expensive for me and I just don't see the Evo X as costing a full $10K over a fully loaded Lancer GTS.
    They need a cheaper AWD car, hopefully the cX will be around the Mid 20's and then I'd consider it. Yes i know the Ralliart but not a peep about it officially and Mitsubishi really needs to get their sales figures up.
    Great design on the new EVO for certain. When they bump up the HP in the Lancer it should be great. Shame is the base Impreza has 170HP and AWD for like $17K. That's a good deal, I think this Concept cX needs to compete with that.
    I don't like Subaru body styling, no matter how hard they try. These Lancer's and EVO X's from Mitsubishi's rock much better than any Subaru. They are engineered from rally-racing design improvements. The new front bracing in the new Lancer is for extra stability in handling, for instance. This Lancer is just such a nice car for the money with all the features you get, too.

The new Concept-cX looks like it would look like the EVO X when looking straight-on at it from the front. That is the look that I like, and my Lancer GTS also has it. It's the new Mitsubishi design direction and I won't buy a car I don't like the body design of. Just won't work for me, those Subaru's, and I don't need AWD either. To each their own if they want a Subie, just not for me.

I don't like Subaru body styling, no matter how hard they try. These Lancer's and EVO X's from Mitsubishi's rock much better than any Subaru. They are engineered from rally-racing design improvements.

Yeah the styling isn't all that great but the car is clearly rally designed I mean it was designed by their Rally driver. Looks aren't great but from what I'm reading the STI is a real winner. I can't wait to see the comparisons between the 2 cars. For looks I'll take the EVO, and at the moment I'd edge out the STI for performance I mean it's blistering. Lets just see if it was a specially tuned car or if they are all that fast.
    I'll probably be getting the Mazdaspeed3 since everything else ended up costing too much. The Lancer is rumored to get another few HP under the hood so that would help a lot.
    You are fortunate to not need AWD where you live. I have a lot of hills in this city and even with AWD you need snow tires when it snows. We get all kinds of nasty stuff in the winter so AWD is really something I need but I hate the design of the WRX and I won't buy one. I also have to drive up into Maine and sometimes NH a lot for work and in the winter AWD is a must. The Mazdaspeed3 isn't AWD which is why I've delayed so long.
    I can relate to not buying an ugly car. The New Lancer design looks sharp.
    "Well in another week I'll know if Mitsu is going to play ball."

Oldfarmer, while watching football over the weekend, I saw Mitsu commercials indicating $2000 discount for the Eclipse. The Mitsu website is not updated yet though.
    Mitsubishi 2007 Sales Through November Exceed Entire 2006 Total
    December 3, 2007 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsu media related website

Mitsubishi Motors announced today that calendar year-to-date (CYTD) sales reached 123,089 as of the end of November, a 13.3% increase compared to the first eleven months of 2006 and already more than the entire 2006 full-year total of 118,558. November sales this year were 7,983, a decrease of 13.8 percent compared to the 9,256 units sold in November 2006.

The new Outlander crossover sport utility continued to show the largest year-over-year increase through November, at 136%. Lancer sedan (61%), Eclipse Spyder convertible (15.4%), Raider truck (10%), and Galant sedan (1%) sales are also ahead in 2007 compared to the January-November period a year ago.

November sales highlights:

Sales of the all-new fuel efficient Lancer were 1,708 in November, a 54% increase over November 2006.
    Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were up 5.9% in November.
    Raider sales were up 35.1% for the month.
    Endeavor sales were up 8.9% in November.
    Mitsubishi's January-November sales represent the best sales for the first eleven months of the year since 2004.
    Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 500 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
    "...I saw commercials indicating $2000 discount for the Eclipse..."

Yea, they've had that rebate on the 2007 since last December. I'm looking at the 2008 because of some equipment additions I like. You see that $2000 rebate in the sidebar ads here on Edmunds too.

Speaking of Edmunds, they updated their Mitsu rebate section today. Now they say there is a $1000 rebate on the Eclipse coupe (up from $500). Still nothing specific on the Mitsu site (which is strange).

So I may be getting close. I notice that I've been counting my loose change and picking up pennies I find in the street lately. ;)

The new Outlander did so poorly in November that Mitsubishi didn't even publish the sales figures. Rather than doing the normal month-to-month comparison, they compared January - November sales for this year to January - November sales for last year. More obfuscation from Mitsubishi.
    123K as of November. I think that's what they sold in all of 2005. I'm glad to see Mitsu's turn around continue. This should be the best year since 2004.

"...More obfuscation from Mitsubishi..."

I share your disappointment with the lack of specific sales figures by model. Do you have anything concrete?

after studying the aotospies report on the new Lancer in late Feb.'07-early Mar.'07 in detail again and again(it includes the '08 Lancer Product Manager going over the car in intricate detail...including engineering design improvements studied in minute detail...and lots and lots of pictures!!)then eyeballing that gorgeous new body design I made up my mind to buy a '08 Lancer GTS and be part of Mitsubishi's comeback in the U.S.

The car amazes me with it's handling, economy, looks and all-out fun. This harkens me back to my late teens when I bought my first car, a 1965 Ford Mustang.

I love the '65 Mustang's bodystyle but this Lancer GTS from Mitsubishi tops the 'Stang in engineering. Of course, one would have paid about what for a '65 Mustang, 3-speed manual tranny, about $3,595 or so? I paid about $22,100 for my Lancer. I wonder if those aren't similar amounts when adjusted for wages, era and dollars, eh? I was gonna say that I'm paying more for the Lancer to get more solid chassis and engine engineering. But the totals might be shockingly similar when put through the time-a-tron, eh?

My '65 Mustang was 13 years old when I bought it, BTW. :blush:

"...I wonder if those aren't similar amounts when adjusted..."

Well, let's see. In 1965 minimum wage was about $1.50 and by now you must be making, what...at least $2.50 an hour... :P

Seriously though, with the technical advances in your Lancer if you were to bring it back to 1965 people would think it was a space ship. There's really no comparison except that they both run on gas.

about the same now as the '65 Mustang then in terms of what the money is worth in both time frames. Nothing about my income then or now.

Simply this: is $3,595 spent in 1965 about the same as spending $22,100 in March of 2007? Then, if we can come to some kind of understanding on those figures, say they come out similar, if I look at the rigs I'm getting, the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is a whole lot more car for my money than a new '65 would have been had I bought it new.

For instance, there have been many poster's here on Edmunds that tell us we're not paying as exorbitant amounts for our new cars now as we did back in the 50's-60's-70's when dollars are adjusted accordingly.

"...Nothing about my income then or now..."

Just teasing.

About your question. As I recall, back in 1965 the average car cost about six months of the average workers wages. I imagine it is still pretty much so: $13K vs $44K. The trouble with averages is that it doesn't tell you how the money is distributed. Back in 1965 there were a lot of factory workers who could afford to buy a Mustang. Now there seems to be fewer in the middle and a lot more who can either afford a fancy luxury car or can't afford bus fare. Joe six-pack is now either Joseph the banker or Joey the welfare recipient. :cry:

Have you compared the data between the two cars? Which is faster? Which handles better? Which gets better milage? Most important, which would you buy today?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I think that's true for many cars, they are a decent deal today.

I am too young to relate things way back when, and my car knowledge on such a detailed level is limited to a few makes, but I can think of some examples.

For instance - 1986 MB 300E - about 40K then. Today's equivalent, the E350, bases at about 51K. A MB 190E 2.6 would have stickered for around 30K in 1987. An equivalent C350 today is about 36K. A 500SEL in 1992 would have cost about 85-90K. An S550 can be had today for just shy of 90K. In every case the cars have gained an immense amount of features...although this can be good and bad.

As mentioned in another post, income trends are a different world.
    I won't see any numbers until next week, when Automotive News publishes them. Mitsubishi loves to use statistics instead of actual numbers because the statistics can be easily manipulated. For example, for every month this year until November, they were comparing monthly 2007 Outlander sales to monthly 2006 Outlander sales, because it allowed them to compare the old model to the new one. The sales increases looked pretty impressive, unless you realize that it had more to do with sales for the old Outlander dropping dramatically because people were waiting to purchase the new model. However, now that they have a full year of sales for the new Outlander, they don't want to publish that statistic anymore.
    if we take them for just what they are: numbers representing something. Mitsubishi is fighting to make it here in the U.S. I'd simply say without quoting any sales numbers that Mitsubishi is making their way much more soundly here in the U.S. than even one short year ago.

Outlander for 2007 and Lancer for 2008 sales numbers are straight-ahead blues-rock and roll like Foghat. Great! Great music, great sales numbers, happy-happy Mitsubishi representatives of all stages of employment. I can tell you that my '08 Lancer's performance has been good. When you love your car you take care to take care of it.

A Finbarr O'Neill-inspired 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty doesn't hurt their case for making it, either. After learning much more about the racing heritage of Mitsubishi and their reliable little L-200 pickup, their new i-City Car that is selling like hotcakes in the UK I am reminded that companies like this have their hand in fondue pots all over the world. Kia is another that is being nicely accepted in Europe. Their new cee'd and pro'ceed cars are being snapped up like hotcakes in countries where the roads are tighter and more crowded.

A country like the U.S., which has seen it's major 3 carmakers nearly become extinct and has sought to see to their survival finds it hard to just chuck the F-150 and Silverado in all their excessive boredom. Wide open spaces in the U.S. are different than streets in India and Europe and the UK. Companies like Kia and Mitsubishi and Suzuki see these markets, foreign to us, friendly to them and their growth. Kia and Hyundai have improved in sales year over year and their vehicles have improved aligned with higher sales.

It has been a joy to help Mitsubishi up out of the quagmire of dorky U.S. excessiveness and loan default and lack of reasoning ability. I hope many of those who defaulted on their Mitsubishi loans have learned from the foolishness of trying to screw an automaker over to benefit yourself. Oh, oh no it just doesn't work that way, goofballs. You are only going to hurt yourself that way. I see Mitsubishi involved with so much now that their success is a surety. Life is good, one can still buy what they like in this country and enjoy it and know that they will be around to service and re-plenish for years and years to come.

Mitsubishi is working hard on a competent EV for as early as 2009 so I have vowed to follow it's timeline as closely as I can get my mouse on that information and share it. After 13,716 miles in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I have this to say about that.

Rock on to that 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo and open that sunroof to Arizona sunshine and enjoy yourself. Go buy some vintage Foghat and blast it out those speakers to Lonesome Dave Peverett's honor. Life is good. It's great to be alive! :blush: