Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• Options
    1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Dave82 - I asked this in a previous post, but you must not have seen it. Every post that you make here on Edmunds is a bash against Mitsubishi (which is cool, that is your right). I was just curious as to what your ax to grind with Mitsubishi is? It just strikes me as odd that someone would come to a website such as this, and post solely against a certain manufacturer. Again, this isn't meant to be an attack against you, I just like to know where people are coming from.
  • Options
    dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    I work in the automotive industry and have done some work for them, along with a few of the other Japanese manufacturers, so I'm fairly familiar with their internal operations. I felt that a lack of integrity was unfortunately a common feature among many of the managers that I dealt with. It will be interesting to see how the Japanese Sarbanes-Oxley impacts how they do business internally.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    "It will be interesting to see how the Japanese Sarbanes-Oxley impacts how they do business internally. "

What do you mean by this? While we're asking for explanations for arguments against Mitsubishi I might as well get in on it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Sarbanes-Oxley is a Corporate Governance/Internal Controls and Accounting/Financial Reporting law. Highly simplified, the law's intent is to protect investors from unethical corporate behaviour (think Enron, Worldcom, etc.).
    See below for all eight titles that make up the law:
    http://www.sarbanes-oxley.com/section.php?level=1&pub_id=Sarbanes-Oxley

Japan is getting ready to enact a similar law due to an investigation by the Financial Services Agency that found 1 in 10 Japanese companies made material misstatements in their Financial reports.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/19040186-52f6-11d9-8845-00000e2511c8.html

Dave - I can appreciate your distaste of individuals that appear to lack integrity. I can't quite understand why this would drive you to post so negatively about one specific company.
    The lack of transparency of the sales reports from Mitsubishi certainly is annoying, but doesn't harm anyone. These are not financial statements and, in my humble opinion, do not represent materially important information.
    As far as Outlander sales go, they have been trending downwards since July. The comparison to the prior year sales of the old Outlander is legitimate, since all other automakers do the same thing. I do agree that it seems petty for Mitsubishi to now suddenly stop showing monthly sales for that model.

If it's the recall scandal that bothers you, other Japanese makes engaged in the same activities (see page 137).
    http://books.google.com/books?id=A9CDvNs35ooC&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137&dq=%22fuji+heav- - - - - y+industries%22+defect+cover+up&source=web&ots=eeOB7FSJdu&sig=og0omfRHO7wAE4FdIu- - - - - XF8mbdS4U#PPA137,M1

If you dealt with Mitsubishi more than 3 years ago, you were dealing with a very different company.
    So, if you can, please elaborate. I am a self-declared car-nut and am here to gain more knowledge.

oldfarmer, you should go to autonews.com. They are having an open house until Sunday and you will be able to access all their content, including sales numbers for all makes and models.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    "...you will be able to access all their content, including sales numbers..."

God bless you and all your children! :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    There's a man who really wants some Mitsubishi sales numbers!

• Options
    dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    Lack of transparency about auto sales is just the tip of the iceberg. The other Japanese companies have their ethical issues as well, but I can't really comment because I have done very little work with them.

As for my dealings with Mitsubishi, they were as recent as last month. I do agree that some of the bad apples that were there three years ago are gone.

Actual sales for the Outlander were 1223 in November 2007, compared to 1694 last November. Lancer sales were 1736, vs 1531 last year. These two models were supposed to resurrect the Mitsubishi brand, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case so far.
  • Options
    tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    As for my dealings with Mitsubishi, they were as recent as last month. I do agree that some of the bad apples that were there three years ago are gone.

I dealt with Mitsubishi a lot longer ago than that and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that it's only now I am considering them although I did consider the EVO IX but was not doable as not all my kids were not adults at the time. It seems Mitsubishi really isn't selling as well as they could. My issue before wasn't with the car but with the total lack of ethics of any sort from the dealership. The fact that the Mitsu dealers aren't local to me doesn't help.
    VW on the other hand after what i went through with them will never get another chance and they do nothing to improve reliability in any way so never again. Mitsubishi has a chance, VW doesn't.
  • Options
    "...it left such a bad taste in my mouth..."

You echo comments made by others on many different forums. They center around actions by the Mitsu dealers rather than with the cars. Were your problems with the deal or service or something else?

Most importantly, do you still see these problems today?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    You echo comments made by others on many different forums. They center around actions by the Mitsu dealers rather than with the cars. Were your problems with the deal or service or something else?
    Most importantly, do you still see these problems today?

Yeah I've heard a lot of negative comments about certain brands and mostly it's the dealers. VW being the lone exception. Both the car and the dealerships bite! nothing will ever change my mind about that!
    To be honest i never saw a more scamming dealer than Mitsubishi and blatant about it. This is going back a long time ago and I don't know if it's fair to say it' anything like that now. But what turned me off from buying a 2006 EVO was the dealerships that had them all had ADM and refused test drives, you had to buy the car with no test drive and that was when you left the dealership after paying for it. They treated me like garbage, so I passed on that and this was the 2 largest dealers so I just kept my 2002 WRX. From what I saw their attitude was just as arrogant as it had always been. We only have 2 within driving distance and neither are close to me.
    So in 2006 and I don't know how many years before that they were rude an arrogant.
    to be fair I've had that with Honda and Chevy and Mazda, etc... Never Toyota. But that's an individual dealership and not all of them. But 2 for 2 isn't good which is why I have steered clear from Mitsubishi. Also consider this they went around to all the auto-x events and took pictures of any cars that ran at the event with the license plate and voided the warranty on all those cars!
    Now they want me to support that kind of behavior from a dealership? NFW!
    The new EVO has peaked my interest again, maybe the Ralliart will be cool as well.
    But in the past Mitsubishi has not endeared itself to me in any way. I'm willing to give them another chance but at events here everyone drives Subaru, no BS from the dealers and they are always happy to see you. Subaru sells a lot of cars in my area. For the money the new STI combined with a lot less hassle from the dealer makes it a better buy for me. Too bad the new WRX is so ugly to me.
    If you have a great dealership and like the car and they take good care of you regardless of what brand then I wouldn't have a problem. VW treats customers like dirt and Mitsubishi 2 years ago treated me worse. car might be great but you have to get through the crappy dealer first. I bet if Mitsubishi corrected their dealers attitude problems they'd sell more cars. Most people I know will not even consider buying Mitsubishi. Dealers are too far away and their attitude is crap. The Chrysler dealer was that way as was one of the Chevy dealers, both are extinct now.
    My biggest gripe with Subaru is they take a long time to do an oil change I think they overbook.
    They want to sell me a new STI but I know locally I won't get a good price. Way off topic..... :blush:
    I will check out the EVO if is comes out soon enough but an ADM sticker means I do not buy the car no matter the brand and I label the dealer as a scammer and won't deal with then for at least 2 years or a change of ownership. I'm ruthless that way. ;)
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Mitsubishi sponsored the first half of the Packers-Raiders game today. Claimed to be the fastest growing import brand. But I guess when you're not selling a huge amount of cars, any increase looks big, percentage wise. Also advertised a $4000 factory rebate on Endeavor. :surprise: They were still pushing the '07 Outlanders, too.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "Dave - I can appreciate your distaste of individuals that appear to lack integrity. I can't quite understand why this would drive you to post so negatively about one specific company."

That's what prompted me to originally ask him the same question. Occasionally, a person will adamantly post against a manufacturer on this site, but they will also post about other things as well. But, after looking at Dave82's posting history, he ONLY posts against Mitsubishi. That's what made me question what his motives were - I just can't see taking the time to go to a forum such as this, specifically to bash one manufacturer.
  • Options
    I understand you are intentionally vague due to a likely confidentiality agreement your company made you sign (I work as an analyst, had to do the same).
    So, without overstepping any boundaries, might it be possible for you to provide some examples of unreasonable operational politics or procedural skirting (or whatever, your choice) you may have encountered?
    In regards to the sales numbers, yes, the MTD numbers for November were not encouraging. However, in my humble opinion, the YTD numbers are not that bad.
    It certainly is too early for Mitsubishi to celebrate in the U.S.. The arrival of the 4-cylinder Outlander, the larger engine in the Lancer GTS, as well as the RalliArt and EVOX, can only help Mitsubishi.
    I do feel that Mitsubishi needs to replace the Eclipse/Endeavo/Galant triplets in a hurry. If rumors are to be believed, the Endeavor will cease to exist (Outlander taking that slot and a new, smaller model based on Concept cX slotted in below) in CY2010 and the Galant and Eclipse will receive full make-overs for that same year.
    On a side note, Globally speaking, the company also appears to be doing better.
  • Options
    looks to be a good looking crossover coming up. It has a strong semblance of the 2008 Lancer's front end and a bold, forward leaning stance that gives it an appealing look. I posted a picture of it in this thread, back about 10 posts of so. A European Lancer shows in the same picture just below it. The new body design strategy by Mitsubishi strikes a chord with me...when I first saw the new Lancer from the front straight-on I had to see more. When the rear end of the new Lancer was revealed on the net around late-Feb.'07, I started making concrete plans to buy a Lancer.

When I saw the Lancer GTS for 2008 I realized that I wanted that bodykit and Sun and Sound package to get the most enjoyment out of this new Lancer from Mitsubishi that had rally-racer performance experience designed right in to it.

Although I have stated on this thread a few times that Mitsubishi has been turned around with the encouraging sales reports for the 2008 Lancer and 2007 Outlander, they still need some work with the three models mentioned above, though the Concept-cX will no doubt take care of the Endeavour problem along with the Outlander, already stated above.

The Galant will also show a re-design as soon as Mitsu can finish that design up and engineer it. I have seen the front end and once again, it is Lancer-menacing looking and looks pretty impressive.

Again, I do believe they're on their way to turning the ship around in the U.S. Work is under way to shore up their leaky faucets, though I have not heard anything whatsoever about an Eclipse re-design or makeover of any shape or sort.

• Options
    "...The Galant...I have seen the front end..."

Got any pics? I think the current Galant has better style than the current Camary and looks as good as the new Accord. If I was looking at sedans I would give it consideration.

• Options
    I've driven the current Galant, I compared it with the '07 Accord and liked it. Unique exterior styling, OK interior and performance with the 4 cyl. I'm also waiting to see the next gen for a possible replacement for my T-Bird. I've been happy with my new Outlander and the dealer I bought it from, and would consider another Mitsubishi.
  • Options
    it looked like the new Lancer on steroids, only much blockier. It came across well and looked like a musclecar to me. I'll see what I can find and post the pic here.

• Options
    this is what I found. No mention of Galant, only flagship sedan and concept numbers. This picture was found in the archives of paxtech-blogspot.com. I'll provide a link for more reading material to go with this, too. I see the Lancer in that front end, much like the Concept-cX that was shown on this thread earlier, which is a new crossover concept that will no doubt see the light of day for Mitsubishi and those that buy them.

http://paxtech.blogspot.com/2007/09/mitsubishi-concept-zt-concept-zt.html

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    omigod. It's an Audi clone!

• Options
    red-X block and the link doesn't offer much more help, either! I'll find something elsewhere and post it here sometime in the near-future. Yep, shifty, Mitsu designers might just have looked at an Audi when designing the new Galant!

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well given the price difference between the two, the Galant might be a bargain. Don't know if it'll DRIVE like an A6 though.

Ever drive an EVO? It's really a blast. One of the all-time fun cars in the world, and a killer deal even at $30K.
  • Options
    "...red-X block..."

The link worked fine for me. Yes it does look a little like an Audi in the front.

Has anyone figured out what the engine performance comes out to in english?
    What is 140 Kv in horsepower? What is 400nm in foot pounds?

• Options
    mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    "What is 140 Kv in horsepower? What is 400nm in foot pounds?"...

Take a look at post 553.
  • Options
    The front end of the Lancer is my favorite part so it wouldn't be a bad thing if Mitsu copied it for the Galant.
  • Options
    "...Take a look at post 553..."

Thanks

• Options

Yeah, Mitsu has done a similar job with the front end, similar to the Lancer '08. It's funny, I love the front end look of my '08 Lancer GTS so much that I never tire looking at it. Like a little kid in a candy car store.

At the same time I'm enjoying my Lancer GTS I am eager to follow Mitsubishi's design ques regarding the new Galant, i-Car, Concept-cX and their new EV(s). I would think they're working on more than one electric rig right now, anyway. I am thinking all-electric for our next rig(in about 6 years!!)but my criteria is fairly specific.

A ZENN starts to reach where I'd like to go electrically in about 5 or 6 years.

• Options
    no, I've never driven an EVO but something just keeps telling me that I will someday. :)

• Options
    Hey tiff_c. I visited the Mazda website today and found that my local dealerships have five Speed6's in stock. Punch in this zip code 27511.
  • Options
    chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Sales of foreign car brands in Russia surged 63 percent in the first 11 months of this year. Mitsubishi, ranked sixth in Russia, expects to sell 105,000 cars there this year, up 50 percent from around 70,000 sold in 2006.

Mitsubishi and Russia to sign car assembly deal
  • Options
    Hey tiff_c. I visited the Mazda website today and found that my local dealerships have five Speed6's in stock. Punch in this zip code 27511.

Thanks, I just might do that although the Speed6 I think might be a bit big for my needs. My wife wanted an Accord as an all around car (read mine until she needs/wants it) But it's too big for her to drive so the Speed6 is about the same size. I'll be off vacation next week so I'll have until Jan 2 to look for cars. Might get a good deal at the end of the year. :D
  • Options
    Where is mikevegas06 with those monthly Mitsu sales figures? We've come to depend on him. He can't leave us on our own now. :cry:

• Options
    Just read that Galant is due for a major redesign for 2009. Anyone have any details? Will it look like the concept picture of a few post ago?

Also saw that Eclipse and Endeavor will receive "changes". Any info on those?

• Options
    Ask and you shall receive. :P

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5425528.html

More detail on this one too. :)

Except Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder and Raider. :cry:
  • Options
    "...Except for Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder and Raider..."

Using the figures in the article I came up with the following: Eclipse (coupe and Spyder)--1186, Raider--405.

5599 units for the month is not good but the year over year figures are promising. When you compare Mitsu with most of the other big companies they did rather well.
    I just hope the 40% drop for December is a fluke.

• Options
    Hey Psychogun! Thanks for finding and posting the sales figures. Mitsu has yet to post them on their site...Mitsu Press Site
    Maybe they're looking for a way to put some "positive spin" on this one ;)
  • Options
    Mitsubishi is launching their new ad campaign later this week. Which is a good thing, since they can't afford a repeat of December sales. Then again, I haven't really seen many Mitsu TV ads since November, not to mention that virtually nobody knows about the 4-cylinder Outlander... out of sight out of mind... Something a brand as small as Mitsubishi should never let happen, whoever runs marketing and PR over there: WAKE UP!!! :P

http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003692369
  • Options
    "...WAKE UP!!!..."

That's for sure. Mitsu has had some interesting ads on TV lately. The Eclipse ad where the girl slides over the guy's lap and then starts driving was good as was the one where the two buddys take freeway ramps just for fun. They just weren't on enough.

I wonder about the direction taken with some of the ads mentioned in the article. A Galant ad with two women out on the town? I don't know if the Galant is really a chick car.

I wonder what cars they are going to promote in the sports media. Mitsu cars have gotten a reputation lately as "girlie" cars so maybe that is a good thing.

If I was managing Mitsu's ad campaign I would blitz the airwaves with video of the EVO tearing up the pavement with a variety of drivers behind the wheel. I would then show the entire Mitsu line in the background. Build off your one extraordinary car and use it to promote all the rest.

"It's go time" sucks as a slogan. Reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode. :cry:

• Options
    Great post, psychogun. Mitsu ought to consider hiring oldfarmer as head of their US marketing department.
  • Options
    "...Mitsu ought to consider hiring oldfarmer as head of their US marketing department..."

LOL. That's not a bad idea. As my wife likes to say "You think you know everything, and what you don't know, you make up!" ;)

• Options
    Just read on Inside Line that the new EVO will cost about 33K.

I guess I won't be getting one this year. :cry:

• Options
    You just keep playing with us, oldfarmer. There's a $1000 rebate on the 08 Eclipse according to the Mitsu website ;)
  • Options
    "...You just keep playing with us..."

Now you sound like my wife.

I've contacted a couple of Mitsu dealers and they don't have the Eclipse the way I want. I'll probably end up ordering one.

Why is it that car dealers only have loaded models in stock? In my case I can't fit into an Eclipse with a sunroof but every dang GT has a sunroof! :mad:

Anyway mike, I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll come over to your place and give you a ride. LOL

• Options
    Mitsu seems to have a pretty good showing at the Detroit Auto Show. The following pics can be found at Inside Line.
    The Concept RA is tight. I'm all about a diesel if it's gonna look and like this...
    An article about this concept is here: Inside Line link

Also, the Lancer Ralliart was introduced. I think that it'll do well for the brand, since most of us aren't hard core enough to buy the Evo.

Lastly, the Evo X GSR and MR did quite well against the Subie WRX STi in the comparison held by edmunds.com

Hope all of this turns into more sales for Mitsu. :)
  • Options
    "Maybe I'll come over to your place and give you a ride..."
    What do you mean give me a ride? If it's got three pedals, then I want to drive it!
    Keep us posted.
  • Options
    I went down to test drive a few cars, and as my PC died I was screwed checking out prices via the Internet.
    Drove quite a few cars but as my wife needed a car and nothing was out that I wanted, we ended up with a different car than I would have imagined especially for her. I drove the mazdaspeed 3 but was so underwhelmed and my wife said why not just buy another WRX, as she didn't like it either.
    I'm still hoping top swing the EVO or an STI depending on prices but nothing is due til the ed of this month at the earliest. :sick:
  • Options
    "...I drove the Mazdaspeed 3 but was so under whelmed..."

Really? That's supose to be a rocket. What didn't you like about it?

Even Consumer Reports gives it the thumbs up. Could it be the limiter they put on torque in the first few gears that turns you off?

BTW, are there any performance specs out on the Lancer Ralliart yet? I'd love to know the 0-60 and how well it handles.

• Options
    Really? That's suppose to be a rocket. What didn't you like about it?

It's fast enough I'll give it that. It's just the way the car feels when you drive it that turned me off it had very light steering and didn't have a solid feel to it. The Civic feels miles better but isn't as fast. It also didn't feel as well built. I can see why so many people said you really need to drive it to decide.
    It's as heavy as a Honda Accord but just blasts ahead then has a real boost at about 4000 rpms that's really impressive but it feels a bit too smooth and there isn't much rawness to the car at all. I figure with all that grunt I'd get some well.... Grunt! :shades:
    But no, it's just too defined at lower speeds and the airbag won't work for my wife as she doesn't weigh enough.
    As far as the new EVO goes I'd have to test drive one but reliability and lack of a wagon detract from it although the front grill design is quite good looking.
    Mitsubishi at least up here isn't what you buy for reliability. Hopefully they will improve in that area.
  • Options
    I'm not on board with the reliability issues. I haven't had any. I think Mitsu got itself in trouble when it joined forces with Chrysler and allowed US domestic engines to be placed in some of their cars. From model years 1995 to 2000 (or maybe 2001 -- not sure what the end date is), the Eclipse and Galant used Chrysler inline 4's. This only applied to the naturally aspirated 2.0 I4's. The turbo Eclipses and V6 Galants, Sebring Coupes, Avenger Coupes used Mitsu engines/transmissions.
    Also, Mitsu builds the smart cars for Diamler Benz, supplies engines for the MINI cars, and builds the turbos for BMW cars.
    OK. I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent.
    tiff, good luck with your car purchase and have the wifey eat a biscuit before she hops in the car :)
  • Options
    The people I know who own Mitsbishi's all said they were very reliable, if not the most reliable cars they had owned. The 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and the 10 year powertrain gives me more peace of mind.
  • Options
    2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, guys. The only trouble I've had are with the Dunlop 18" performance tires and getting flats with them. Two flats and now another Dunlop has a slow leak going on. I'm going in to a local(not Mitsubishi)repair shop today to get that fixed. But these are not the faults of Mitsubishi and very well could be an abundance of nails and bolts falling out of the hick's pickup trucks in this little SE Arizona cowtown that I reside in.

I love this Lancer GTS just as much today as I did on March 21, 2007, when I drove off the lot with it at Avondale Mitsubishi, west of Phoenix. It will now take a great new Kia or a new subcompact like the Ford Verve to pull me away from Mitsubishi, if that would even ever happen. The '08 Lancer GTS is solid, does not squeak, rattle or shake from anyplace. And the CVT paddle shifters are fun, though, I must admit, usually I just place the gear lever in 'D' for drive and just relax and enjoy the ride. And I am one who has driven stick since 1999, too. I'm still getting about 20 mpg in town and 31 mpg on the freeway, which I find very acceptable.

And I have had two or three co-workers come up to compliment me on my Lancer GTS. They have told me that my Mitsubishi Lancer GTS will last "forever." :)