Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Looks like almost all the automakers are pretty much in the same boat.

They came out with the rebates soon after I bought my Outlander, then the year end discounts soon after that. At least I got decent money for my trade in, it probably wouldn't be worth crap now.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Tonight - October 4th - an agreement was reached between UAW local 2488 and Mitsubishi Motors North America.

A contract was ratified between the local and Mitsubishi (54% vs 46%) where in exchange for some wage and benefit cuts Mitsubishi agreed to guarantee no plant closing or involuntary lay offs. This new contract is in effect until October 2012.

I'm thinking that in the next 4 years they are going to plan on some major model changes. It seems improbable that they would continue putting out updated versions of the current models.

Hopefully the concept RA? Lancer Sportback? Completely redesigned Galant (concept ZT) Maybe even the MIEV.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    hey, great news about the Normal, IL Mitsu plant!

As to what's heading down the pipeline, wow, Mitsubishi is busy, but, the news I am reading is for Mitsubishi vehicles built for the UK. All kinds of Lancer variants are going to export there(I would include other countries, too, it's just that I have been reading of plans for the UK lately) including the new Lancer Sportback, the latest EVO 10 and Lancer Ralliarts, and the UK is getting the new Colt model.

But for us, well, I really don't know if the U.S. will be getting the Lancer Sportback or not. Obviously we have the new Lancer ES, GTS, etc., and the new Lancer Ralliart and the new EVO 10. The new '09 Galant is out with some taillight and front grille enhancements. I saw one 2 days ago in town here and it looks good. But the completely re-designed Galant(concept ZT) that looks as long as an old '68 Buick LeSabre, that car I am not clear on if it is in the works, too. That one needs more research, because it hasn't been discussed anywhere that I have found, about Mitsu's decision on actual production for that car. I would say it's a go, though. The Galant is long overdue for a re-design.

The Concept RA is the new crossover with the Lancer-like front nose? I like the looks of that car and it may be 2010 before we get it imported here but I believe we are getting that car, too.

And the Mitsubishi i-MIEV all-electric car is going to be released in Japan in 2009 and will be here in the U.S. in 2010. That is confirmed, too, BTW. Lots of new Mitsubishi material coming down the pipeline.

And I happen to love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS today even more than I did in Mar.of 2007 when I purchased the car. Delightful automobile, and a fun car to drive and enjoy looking at. I judge the car together with the 1965 Ford Mustang as my two favorite car body designs of any class from any carmaker from any period of carbuilding, ever. Period.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Yep. I'm glad that an agreement was realized, too. I'm also glad that we don't have to pay for it.
    I think that Mitsu will start to use the Lancer platform for cars being built in Normal. Seems like the Galant and Eclipse can easily fit on a modified version of that platform. Looks like the Outlander now makes the Endeavor redundant. Now if Mitsu can just make a case for building AWD coupes again...
    it would kind of make sense for Mitsubishi to use the Normal, IL, plant to build Lancer's or vehicles using the Lancer platform, too. Because the Lancer and Outlander use the exact same platform!

Yeah, I agree, I have the utmost confidence in Mitsubishi to gain popularity in the U.S. I have been taken by the brand since I bought my '08 Lancer GTS, and up to that point had always read about their racing successes. So I knew there was something there worth investigating.

Let's hope to see interest in Mitsubishi products increase here in the U.S. Besides a very good product in their vehicles they also offer an unbeatable Warranty, like Kia and Hyundai.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    "...it would make sense for Mitsubishi to use the Normal IL. plant to build Lancer's..."

It would make excellent sense. From what I've read, Mitsu could have sold a lot more Lancers in the US if they had the capacity to build more. Worldwide demand is out-stripping supply.

I wonder what it would take to re-tool for a different platform at Normal. Would it interfere with the PA platform production or could they do both? At present, the plant is just limping along on one shift.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

what do you mean by the PA platform at the Normal, IL, Mitsubishi plant?

"...what do you mean by the PA platform?..."

That's the Project America platform on which the Galant, Eclipse and Endeavor are built.

I'm not knowledgeable on auto production but it just seems that there might be some problems building say, a Galant and a Lancer on the same line.

It would be nice if they could though. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

neither am I, but I think you're right, they'd have to remodel and retool that line to make that much of a model switch. If things continue as they are, and Mitsubishi continues to need fuel-efficients to sell to the American masses, then I think something like this might very well come about.

I have a feeling their electric microcar, the i-MIEV, will be built in Japan come hell or high water, whatever and whichever the stinkin' economy throws at everybody. ;)

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Hello there fellow Mitsubishi enthusiasts.

I have a few tidbits for you. Years are Calendar year.

2010 Outlander - Fall 2009
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080911.010/mitsubishi-outlander-facelift-spy-photos- - - - -
    Very likely that there will be a diesel variant available.

Lancer Flex Fuel - 2009 (announced but not confirmed) http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/corporate/detail1649.html

Lancer Diesel - 2010 (official for Europe but not yet confirmed for U.S.) http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/corporate/detail1616.html

All of the following per Autoweek http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/FREE/70822001/1024/FREE

2009 "Baby Outlander" based on Concept cX, AutoWeek erroneously refers to it as the Pajero iO.

2009 Endeavor will be available January/February 2009, but, per Automotive News, will be dropped by early 2011.

Lancer SportBack and SportBack RalliArt- Early 2009 via FY2007 Full Year release

Full redesign for Galant (10th generation) - 2010???

Next gen Eclipse - 2011???
    Psycho. Thanks for the updates. The refreshed Outlander appears to look mean as hell. I think the new Mitsu grill will work well on their SUVs.

Elgatoloco, Oldfarmer and Iluvmy... looks as though our speculation from earlier this week might be accurate for the most part.
    "...Next gen Eclipse - 2011???..."

Gotta start saving my pennies! :)

contraption. It leans downward towards the front of the car and has the Lancer-like front end "fighter-jet" look. The Baby Outlander, eh? So Mitsu isn't saying yet if they're going to produce the cX or not? Seems the cX would be successful in many world markets.

I looked back a few posts and was referring to the cX as the RA. Humm...rcpax, could you cruise by here and drop some pictures with their concept Mitsubishi names for us? :shades:

"...was referring to the cX as the RA..."

Isn't the RA concept the next Eclipse with the diesel? I'd like some pics of that as well. :)

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Sorry for the confusion.
    The production version of the Concept cX is confirmed and will be brought to market in mid-to-late 2009. The unknown is if and when this dubbed "baby-Outlander" will make it to the U.S. market.
    I personally think that Mitsubishi will bring this car to North America, as well as the next gen COLT, which is expected in late-to-early 2010.
    BTW, the face-lifted version of the COLT shown in Paris (is NOT the next gen) is for Europe only and will carry the model for 2 more years there (until they are due for the redesign in 2010/2011).
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I thought you folks would be interested in reading this article about Mitsubishi:

TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp. returned to profit in the fiscal first half, but tumbling sales in the United States led the carmaker to trim its full-year earnings outlook.

Mitsubishi now expects operating profit to fall to ¥50.0 billion ($471.7 million) in the full year ending March 31, 2009, worse than its earlier forecast of $566.0 million. The new target represents a 54.0 percent decrease from the year before.

North America remains a trouble spot. Sales there also are expected to be worse than forecast. Volume is seen sliding 17.5 percent to 132,000 vehicles in the current fiscal year.

Earlier, the company had predicted sales would drop to 145,000 units.

Announcing results for the April-September period, Mitsubishi said it booked net income of ¥12.8 billion ($120.8 million), compared with a loss of ¥5.6 billion a year earlier.

Revenue fell 7.6 percent, but operating profit rose 35.1 percent to $239.6 million. Sales slid 13 percent to 602,000 units, with more cars being sold only in Europe.

The profit increase arose partly from the yen's being weaker than expected against the dollar.

Looking ahead, Mitsubishi expects global sales to decline 6.2 percent to 1.228 million vehicles this year because of the global credit crunch and economic slowdown.

Net income is seen plunging 42.4 percent to $188.7 million.

Definitely good news for Mitsubishi to turn a profit in this down market. i gave up on them as dead in the water a couple of years ago.
    Downtown Freddy Brown! Yeah, Mitsu is doing better than I expected, too.

I think Mitsubishi should go ahead and bring the redesigned Colt here for 2010-2011. Small and economical is what is going to work, but, it is true that gasoline prices are actually dropping. Still, the market for subcompacts is promising and the Colt fills that spot.

Can't wait for their i-MIEV to come here in 2010, either. That is one well-designed rig that needs to come about. I would ask for further range before I thought about parting with dollars for one, however.

"...Definitely good news..."

I'm confused by your figures. Are you saying that Mitsu in North America (MMNA) will make a profit or is that for their world wide operations?

No matter how bad they may be doing, it has to be better than Detroit.

Mitsu has finally included the Lancer RA on its website. Looks mighty fine to me. There are four things that I don't like about it:
    1. No Sportback model (yet)
    2. No leather package
    3. No sunroof
    4. Points 1 - 3 are irrelevant because I can't afford to buy a car right now.
    Mitsubishi Motors October Sales Improve From Prior Month

November 3, 2008 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced October 2008 sales of 7,486, a slight improvement (1.4%) over September sales.

Most models showed increases from the prior month:

Galant sales were up 24 percent from September.
    Outlander sales were up 17 percent from September.
    Endeavor sales were up 12 percent from September.
    Lancer Evolution sales were up 42 percent from September.
    Raider sales were up 24 percent from September.
    Similar to the rest of the automotive industry, Mitsubishi October sales were down 19 percent compared to October 2007. There were however some increases:

Galant sales were up 64 percent compared to October 2007.
    Lancer Evolution sales were up more than 800 percent compared to October 2007.

Mitsu sales info
    hospital parking lot in town. It looked pretty sharp, in the Rally Red color. The wheels covers were a bit drab but if I bought a Galant I'd spring for nice wheels, real wheels, not hub caps. The re-design was out in '08 IIRC so it could've been an '08 Galant bought at a clearance price, as I saw it in October sometime.

Good to see the better Galant numbers as well as all the others. My '08 Lancer is a great small car, handles like a dream. I looked up tires for the car and I am thinking strongly of buying Kumho Ecsta's for it early in '09 sometime. The per tire price on those Ecsta's? $149. :surprise:

"...October sales were down 19%..."

Well how about that! Mitsu is doing better than Honda (down about 24%).

"Mitsu is doing better than Honda..."
    oldfarmer, you're funny :)

Hey iluvmy...
    Those Kumo Ecstas are pretty good tires for the price. I've got a set on my Laser (Eclipse) and I'm very happy with them.
    Mitsubishi CEO: Stop Galant production in U.S., start export production

Mitsubishi’s CEO, Osamu Masuko, said yesterday that he wants the Japanese automaker to end production of the Galant in Normal, Illinois, and replace that plant’s capacity with vehicles that “can be sold on the global market,” most likely Lancers and Outlanders - two of Mitsubishi’s better sellers and two vehicles that can be exported outside of the U.S.

The Galant’s redesign has been pushed back and back and, as Leftlane recently suggested, Mitsubishi is considering dropping the nameplate entirely and backing out of the ultra-competitive midsize sedan market.

Mitsubishi and the UAW are committed to the Normal facility for at least another four years. The two signed a labor deal to keep the plant running in October.

Masuko told Automotive News that nothing is certain just yet, but that the automaker is strongly considering bringing Lancer and Outlander production to the U.S., which might spell the end for Eclipse and Endeavor production.

Currently, the Normal plant isn’t even producing 100,000 vehicles - the break-even point for the facility. Mitsubishi says the plant could produce up to 240,000 vehicles annually in its current configuration, which leaves a lot of room open for export vehicles.

Masuko also told the journal that he wishes the Triton pickup, which is sold in over 100 countries, was sold in the U.S. The Triton is a modern compact pickup that, in a previous iteration, was sold as the Mighty Max in North America. The automaker declined to give reasons why the Triton won’t be sold in the North American market, but the most obvious speculation suggests that it would not meet federal requirements.
    source website link

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishi-ceo-stop-galant-production-in-us-start-ex- port-production.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The automaker declined to give reasons why the Triton won’t be sold in the North American market, but the most obvious speculation suggests that it would not meet federal requirements.

As far as I know, there's still a 25% chicken tax on imported pickup trucks. That removes a lot of incentive (and would explain why the US isn't overrun with Thai built pickups).
    25% tax! Ouch! Got it. No wonder Honda, Toyota, and Nissan build their trucks in NA.
    "...which might spell the end for Eclipse..."

So I have a collectable on my hands. :)

Seriously, even if they do away with production of the Project America platform at Normal, they can put the Eclipse name on the rumored Lancer coupe. They probably should have done that from the start.

The size of my Eclipse suits me really well but that platform was never suited to be a "sports" car as I understand it. Nobody cross-shops 350-Zs or B-2000s with the Eclipse.

Oldfarmer, I think you're right. I think the next Eclipse will be on the Lancer platform. Hopefully, they'll make a GT version for old guys like us and maybe a Ralliart version for the hard core enthusiast out there.
    Down 36% from 2007. Bummer.

They only sold 5096 units. Still, Mitsu is in better shape than the big 3. How can Mitsubishi almost break even selling 100K units a year and the big boys are going broke selling millions?

I hope things improve soon.

I think Mitsubishi is helped by the fact that they're such a huge company overall. They must have great financial planners. For instance, it was smart of them not to show at the Detroit Motor Show this year. Why throw any money into a pit like that?

But what I'm talking about transcends Detroit. Not only does Mitsubishi have some great new product to offer worldwide, like the new racing Rally Lancer(for us it's just for show but for Mitsu it is a slate to test on...these guys look at racing results and grill their drivers, check the car for damage and see what they could have done different, etc., etc.), Lancer Sportback, and the great L200 pickup truck(not new, just continuously improved, Mitsu's specialty of carbuilding prowess). Here's a small pic of the L200.

There's the new Colt for Europe.

And there's the fantastic new Lancer(I thank you personally for that Mitsu...I am loving my '08 Lancer GTS more each month I own the car...it is a solid design and together with the '65 Ford Mustang possesses the best bodystyle on a car ever. Period)and Lancer Evolution. I even like the new '09 Mitsubishi Eclipse, the yellow one with the big gaping maw in front. It's the way the canary yellow paint job bounces off the black maw in front, and vice versa.

But even though we don't get all the automotive news we can get our hands and paws on, we can surmise that Mitsu benefits from a lot of sound fiscal experience in their adminstrative offices. Remember, these guys are giants in the ocean-going shipping lanes. Really. Sound lessons learned financially throughout decades of applied science in the field Mitsubishi is endeavouring to succeed in.

Look at websites like paxtechblogspot.com if you like.

http://paxtech.blogspot.com/

Read up like I do daily on Mitsubishi's racing successes. I love my '08 Lancer GTS so much that I'm thinking about getting a Mitsubishi i-MIEV for our next car...it won't be for years, though.

An all-electric car will eventually be in my garage at home, and it will be between the Mitsubishi i-MIEV and the 2010 Pininfarina-Bollore B0(pronounced B-Zero). The B0 has a range of 153 miles and takes only 5 hours to charge up. Actually Pininfarina-Bollore have the smartest and most efficient new all-electric car design out there. This car has not just been cooked up on a budget and tossed up in to the air like a fresh pizza, caught again and thrown in to an oven for easy-bake sheen. This car has been painstakingly designed to perform for the masses. It is the modern-day equivalent of the Ford Model T. It will be an affordable all-eletric car for the masses. Are you reading Barack Obama? Read up on the car here:

http://www.pininfarina.com/index/storiaModelli/B0.html

So that is going to be fun to continue to research the B0...it is going to be hard to avoid eventually getting one of those cars. 153 mile range? Blows all the others away. And read about it's mechanicals...these guys have worked for 15 years on that lithium-polymer battery that is safely encased in steel.

It might depend on the availability of an Obama $7,500 rebate and pricing and how well Mitsubishi or Pininfarina-Bolllore back up their respective cars with solid Warranties. Perennial favorite Kia Motors and their Long-Haul Warranty and Mitsubishi with their own 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty are leaders in that field. Kia just keeps getting to be a better carmaker with each passing year. Those guys are incredible. I saw it in my '99 Kia Sephia sedan...loved that car.

Before this turns in to a novel, I will just say this. I have wanted to get a rig that will get me off of foreign oil dependence. I now have two solid choices and by bouncing off the fact that my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer is built so well and so solid looks so hot and was so affordable, I'd be a driveling dolt not to check out their 2010 Mitsubishi i-MIEV. Good day y'all and drive carefully and like a Grandpa, or Grandma. Well, maybe not like a Grandma. :D

Well stated iluvmy... You certainly did your research on that one.

Oldfarmer - I think that Mitsu, like most import brands, builds products according to demand. Low demand = low production numbers. Not overproducing something and then offering "employee discounts" and "red tag events" to move the cars off the lots at a loss.
    Happy 2009 everyone!

This year's Dakar Rally kicks off tomorrow (Jan 3) in South America. It is no longer being held on the continent of Africa due to security concerns. Mitsu has done quite well in this grueling race and has more wins than any other manufacturer. Not sure what stations will be airing any of it though. You can spend hours on the Mitsu Dakar website because it's packed with info and links to other Mitsu websites. Again, I still don't understand why Mitsu doesn't do better job of trumpeting their success in the Dakar series.
    And yes, I know this post makes me sound like a Mitsu fanboy. I am what I am. Besides, I've got to enjoy Mitsu while they still have a presence in the US.
    "...while they still have a presence in the US..."

Mike, do you have the sales figures for December yet? How about total 2008 sales? I'd like to see if Mitsu held up percentage wise as well as the others.

The auto business is a disaster. Down 35% over-all for 2008.

Naw. Mitsu hasn't posted anything on their media">
    Looks like Monday will be the day that the auto makers will post the results. Even mighty Toyota and Honda are warning about bad numbers.

According to theautochannel.com, Subaru seems to be happy though...
    CHERRY HILL, N.J., January 2, 2009: Subaru of America, Inc. today announced that it is anticipating a year-over-year sales increase for 2008 U.S. sales.

Through November 2008, Subaru was the only volume automotive brand with positive Y-T-D sales.

Actual results are subject to final accounting and will be announced on Monday, January 5, 2009.

subie happy
    January 5, 2009 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced December 2008 sales of 4,570.

Highlights include:

Galant was the volume leader in December, at 1,214, up 20 percent for the month compared to December 2007. Galant sales finished the year up 1.7 percent compared to calendar year 2007.

Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were up 31 percent in December, compared to the same month a year ago.

Lancer Evolution sales finished 2008 with a 50.9% increase for the year.
    Overall Mitsubishi December sales were down 22.6 percent compared to December 2007.

Mitsu Media Website
    take a look.

A lot of you have probably seen it before, it's just that Mitsu announced now when it's coming to the U.S. It's coming here in the summer of '09 as a '10 model. No pricing announced yet, apparently the car is new from the C-pillar back and similar to the new world order Lancer in the front. Yes, it's got the "fighter-jet inspired" front end, much like my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS front end.

And I must say that Mitsu's new Lancer models, including the new Sportback here, look great in silver. Silver was my #3 choice for my Lancer GTS, after red and blue. The more I see it my fave '08+ Lancer color list must now read as follows:

1) Rally Red
    2) Silver
    3) Blue

And keep up the good work, Mitsubishi! ;)

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    I just saw a slew of pictures of this new Sportback at another sight. Of course the Mitsu haters were out in full force, damning the looks mostly.

Naturally a new vehicles appearance is a subjective thing to most car buffs but I viewed practically the entire gallery of photos until I drooled on my keyboard. A Mitsubishi Sportback in GTS trim with a 5 speed manual will be my next car !!!

However, as we just purchased a 2008 Outlander SE in July it may be a while before my "next car !!!" gets parked in the garage but I love this thing. I think the Euro styling cues in the rear look great.

I can't wait to see it in person...and take a test drive.
    I think Mitsu designers hit it spot on with this Lancer Sportback. I, too, will be a long while because I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS that I love and it only has 31,937 miles on it. I love the car and don't see why I would buy anything but a Mitsubishi next time, but next time will be a bit of a while.

I love the Mitsubishi Outlander, too, you're fortunate to have one!

"...it only has 31,937 miles on it..."

Wow 32K miles in a little over a year? You must REALLY like driving it.

I've had the Eclipse for almost exactly a year and it only has 9,200 miles on it. It has sat in the garage for over a month as I refuse to let it rot on our salt covered highways.

Does anyone have a link to the web site that has more pics of that sportback? It looks nice from the back but I'd like to see the whole package. Also are any specs available?

I haven't seen an entire article written yet on the new Lancer Sportback, at least one with a collection of photos from every angle. I would think that an article like that ought to be out soon.

As to my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' mileage, it is an '08 but I purchased it on March 21, 2007. So we're almost up to two years of ownership here. It's our only vehicle, and Arizona is a trip-friendly kind of state, very little crappy weather to contend with. So we go on long trips with it and go to Tucson (80 miles west of us) every few weeks to play, so the miles add up on the car.

They are happy miles, though. :D

Yeah. I like that Sportback very much as well. Here's a link to the UK Mitsu Site which contains pics/specs of the Sportback. Shouldn't be much different from what we'll get over here. Looks like the Sportback is replacing the void left when the Outlander got upsized. Now that the Outlander is bigger, I bet that the Endeavour is history by next year.

Or just copy and paste this http://www.lancer-sportback.co.uk/_uk/
    I know. I know. I'm the only one who cares but...

February 4, 2009

Mitsubishi withdraws from rally racing
    T0kyo, Japan - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has announced its decision to withdraw from cross-country rally racing, starting with the Dakar Rally.

The company said its decision was based on the sudden deterioration of the global economy, which forced it to focus its resources more tightly.

In its 26 entries in the Dakar Rally, Mitsubishi won a total of 12 times, including seven consecutive victories. The automaker said that, in addition to the unparalleled record, it gained four-wheel drive technology that was transferred to its production vehicles.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/02/04/mitsubishi-withdraws-from-rally-racing.- htm
    Mitsubishi Motors Reports January Sales

February 3, 2009 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --
    Mitsubishi Motors today announced January 2009 sales of 4,730.

This is an improvement of 3.5% from last month's sales of 4,570 (December 2008) and a decrease of 34.5 percent compared to January 2008 sales of 7,226.

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of more than 430 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Yeah that sucks about the withdraw from rally racing. That was one thing I associated Mitsu with.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    I associate Mitsubishi with, the Dakar. I associate them with the fantastic new world order Lancer's and Outlander's. And now, the Lancer Sportback.

I have my eye on the long-awaited release of the all-electric drive Mitsubishi i-MiEV, too.

"Does anyone have a link to the web site that has more pics of that sportback"...

The US branch of Mitsu has exterior pics (5 pages total, some pics are redundant) posted here. Haven't found any official US specs yet.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/Photos?q=s&kw=sportback
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Mitsubishi launches first in-car Blu-ray player

16 February 2009 21:17 by Andre "DVDBack23" Yoskowitz | 5 comments
    Mitsubishi launches first in-car Blu-ray player Mitsubishi has announced that it has developed the world's first in-car Blu-ray player.

At 50 x 178 x 180mm, the company says the player is only 1/3 the volume of its home standalone BD player.

The player will support BD-ROM, BD-R and BD-RE and the company plans to commercialize it at some point in 2009.

Tech-On adds that "there are two main factors that contributed to the small size. First, Mitsubishi Electric increased the board density by 1.5 times. Second, the company reduced the thickness of mechanical parts while improving the anti-vibration performance of the equipment.

Specifically, the level of disc runout was reduced to 1/5 that of the company's existing products. By reviewing the mechanical design with the use of a vibration analysis technology, the company made the improvements without adding a damper."

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/17005.cfm
    I saw the sportback today at Chicago Auto show
    "I saw the sportback today at Chicago Auto show "...

So, what do you think about it? Do you like the design? Looks good to me from the pics but sometimes real time viewing changes one's opinion.

BTW, cool post about Mitsu being the first to launch in-car BluRay.
    Yes, I like the design very much. Looks European. I would pick these body over the Lancer sedan.

They also had the all-electric iMIEV on display and the Pajero rally version.