Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Electrical and Lighting Issues

00taco00taco Member Posts: 3
i've a oo Taco and recently I've had no less than 3 fuses blow at the same time (horn, tail-light, blinkers) 2 under the hood and one under the dash. I replaced the blinker 10 amp with a 15 amp and it seems to be fine. I tried the same with the taillight fuse (swapping a 15 amp for a 10) and it only worked for about 5 mins. What am I missing? I've had no recent issues with the truck. the most recent was a starter rebuild about a month ago. HELP! i need my tail lights!

Comments

• 00taco00taco Member Posts: 3
    its a 2000 prerunner, 2.7l 4cyl.
  • lowboylowboy Member Posts: 2
  • lowboylowboy Member Posts: 2
    The 12 volt power sources in my 2004 double cab are "hot" only when truck is running, anyone know an easy way to hook them up so they are on all the time?
  • jdovejdove Member Posts: 2
    1999 tacoma p/u lights going crazy hit brake pedal door buzzer comes on, with light switch on brake lights come on, with lights off brake lights work ok
  • 66velle66velle Member Posts: 2
    HI,
    I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. extra cab pickup truck. After changing all four corners with pads, shoes and rear wheel cylinders, the brake warning light on my instrument panel doesn't turn off while operating the truck. How do I get this fixed?
    Thanks,
    Stan
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    My guess is the truck could have a loose ground wire somewhere inside in the cabin under the dash or in the engine compartment
  • wesrusswesruss Member Posts: 3
    More than likely you just need to add more brake fluid. When the pads and everything were changed the brake fluid filled the brakes more causing the fluid level in the reservoir to decrease. Try adding some brake fluid then start the truck and pump the brakes several times. This should fix the problem. Hope this helps.
  • 66velle66velle Member Posts: 2
  • kublakubla Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Tacoma 4x4 cuts out sometimes when I'm driving for just an instant. Also the radio cuts out also but more so
    than the engine. If I shut it off it goes all dead and turning the key does nothing..theres no electrical at all.
    I hear a relay like clicking noise at first..then nothing.
    Then shabang! it all comes up and starts OK..any input as
    to the problem?
  • taco_2004taco_2004 Member Posts: 1
    Have you heard anything about the no start problem? I have a 2004 4x2 that has power when I turn the key to acc mode, and then when I go to start I lose all power. 2 times I have have had power come back within 5 mins. At that time it cranks normally. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 days.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I agree. It sounds like a ground problem.
  • jdovejdove Member Posts: 2
  • alchemystalchemyst Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to put daytime running lights on a 07 Taco? A dealer says that it will cost me about $200 for labor and a relay. If it is just a relay then I can do that myself. I’ve imported the vehicle into Canada and it has to be safety inspected to meet Canadian safety requirements (daytime headlights). Since an inspector will check the truck over, I can’t just leave the low beam lights on and let the truck turn them on and off with the ignition switch.
    I found an answer to my question at toyotanation.com It is the procedure to add daytime headlights to 2005+ Tacomas and is nothing more than the installation of a jumper and relay (Toyota parts). The mod produces the factory installation. Has anyone tried this on a 2007?
    I got the parts, followed the procedure and it worked great! Definitely recommend the procedure to anyone who has it add daytime running lights.
  • mboarmboar Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 4wheel drive Toyota Tacoma pickup trucks headlights, come on by themselves with the ignition switch off. Also with the ignition switch off, if you turn on the headlights they won't turn off. I have to start the truck to turn the headlights off. Shortly after turning the truck off, the lights will come on by themselves.

This is a recurring problem. The last time I bought the truck in for the same problem. I was told that they took the electrical system apart, couldn't find the cause, put everything back together and the headlight problem stopped. I was also told that it wasn't covered under warranty because they didn't replace any parts. Obviously there is some part that is malfunctioning
  • dlanhamdlanham Member Posts: 1
    My reverse / backup lights are not working on my 98' tacoma 4x4. I had an after market alarm installed and also connected to my shell (I don't see a problem, just giving all info). I noticed a while after that thereverse lights were inoperable. All other lighting is fine. Is there a specific fuse for the reverse lights? Any help? The alarm install was done about 2 years ago.

Any help ?
  • perryhperryh Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of vehicle yesterday. Drove it 180 mi. to home with no problems.

This a.m., got in vehicle, started up, and found neither side turn signals would work.
    Checked fuses, etc., and found nothing amiss.

Got back in, restarted, and the right turn sigs worked, but left showed the fast flash indicating burned out bulb.

Checked and saw that left rear TS wasn't working. Pulled bulb, looked OK, but replaced with new one. Same result.

Checked socket - no voltage, checked wiring to socket - no voltage, both with engine running. Put left rear bulb panel back, restarted, and now all works fine, at least for the moment.

Any thoughts??? And thanks.

pH
  • jayp7jayp7 Member Posts: 1
    Mboar, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the exact same problem in my 2003 tacoma. I would really appreciate some feedback if you have any. Thanks.
    Belated update on the Tacoma lights problem.

Took to dealer. Required about 3/4 day probing and searching but finally found the problem.

There was a loose plug-in connector in the rear of the dash panel. Seating it cured the problem.

pH
  • scashscash Member Posts: 1
    Did you get a response to your problem? I have the same issue with my 99 Toyota Tacoma.
    Thanks
    No, not really from this Forum, if that's what you mean by "response".

Dealer took care of problem as noted in my post (#22 of 23).

All's been fine since. :)
  • malonebpmalonebp Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. Over the past couple weeks, probably 2 or 3 times, my windshield wipers would randomly start wiping when they were set to off. I could easily just play with the controls and get them to stop. Now, they are stuck on the 2nd to highest speed and will not turn off (unless I pull the fuse, of course). They will go faster if set to the highest speed, but otherwise they are always running on the 2nd to highest speed. Any Ideas? Thanks!!
  • malonebpmalonebp Member Posts: 2
    One more thing to not that I didn't point out - Right before the wipers were turned on to the point where they would not stop I had tried to turn them on with too much heavy snow in the windshield. Because of this they would not wipe, so with them still "on" I got out and wiped the snow away with my hands... they started to work... they never stopped. Not sure if that changes anything, but I thought I'd note it. Thanks! -Brian
  • red108red108 Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Tacoma 4X4 w/trailer hitch seems to have an issue with it's taillights...and ONLY the taillights.All other electrical components seem to be in working order. This is an intermittant problem.Can't find any pattern to the occurence of failure. BOTH tailights fail at the same time.Have tried the usual, replace bulbs, replace fuse type stuff... I would appreciate any input from out there.. Thanks- Red
  • jkennonjkennon Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Tacoma has the towing package. The turn signal/brake light wiring on my trailer shorted blowing the fuse. After I fixed the short and replaced the fuse, the turn signals & brakes work fine on the truck, but the trailer turn signals & brakes don't work. I finally found that the trailer flat plug mounted under the rear bumper on the truck is supplying only about 7 volts to the turn signals/brakes, not enough to light the trailer turn signal.brake bulbs. The tail lights are fine. I can't figure out why. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks
  • horsetradorhorsetrador Member Posts: 1
    anyone know how to change the ignition system in 97 tocoma w/secuity sys. can you just remove the swich assy. If so does anyone know how? Can I just remove the tumblers or wafers and replace with them out? Thanks very much.
  • bajajacbajajac Member Posts: 1
    08, Taco, 4x4 Prerunner. Today the overhead temperature displlay just displays 75 degrees and it is 105 outside temp. Does anyone know of a cure/repair?
  • slomotion2slomotion2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem as in message # 28 with my 2004 Tacoma. I haven't checked the voltage but I've checked everything else. No shorts, no blown fuses that I've found. All lights on the truck work fine. Only the turn signal lights on the trailer work. No running lights, no brake lights. I've checked the ground and all the bulbs. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks for your help.
  • ginaw1ginaw1 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out why my battery light would be on

is it a loose connection, bad battery or my alternator maybe? the truck is custom but runs good other than some sputtering problems i have recently started having. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to troubleshoot this problem?
  • mrmehochkomrmehochko Member Posts: 1
    2004 Tacoma 6 cyl TRD. Put in a new die-hard gold, now digital clock is blank and radio (am-fm -cd) is not working either.. #11 fuse is good. Any help?
  • toyotataco03toyotataco03 Member Posts: 2
    everytime i press the brakes the right turn signal lights up but does not flash. the right and left signals both work properly when not braking. :confuse:
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    The temperature guage and compass in my 2005 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 stopped working perhaps 6 months ago. I nosed around here and recently checked a series of posts on another forum and found that a couple of very specific resistors on the board had failed connections. This is turning out to be a not uncommon problem in this truck.

It's pretty easy to get the whole unit out (one screw and tug against a couple of spring clips), disconnected (two cable connectors) and disassembled to get at the circuit board. Toyota wants an astonishing $800 to replace the unit. A friend re-soldered the resistors and I'm now back in business, confident that my pal's solder work is going to hold up far longer than the ones done by the manufacturer in Mexico.
  • toobadtacotoobadtaco Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 95 4x4 3.4 5spd taco for like a month. its got like 266k miles. I've put about 2k on it already. It just started acting up.
    i go out to my truck after work yesterday, and the radio (still original am.fm.) is playing and the interior lights are on.
    The stereo turned off when i got home a half hour later, but when my wife came home another 2 hours later, the stereo was on again, and whe i walk out to investigate it turns off on its own.
    Now the interior lights still don't turn off (they only) dim and i have to turn off the stereo manually, if i don't want it running randomly when i'm not in it.

I live in Calif. and it's recently been raining. the only significant rain since i've owned it...
  • scavanaghscavanagh Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Toyota Tocoma has an issue with the brake light / blinker light. When I have my left turn signal on it works until I step on the brakes then it just goes solid. Any ideas as what I can check. Thank you
  • carriecotnamcarriecotnam Member Posts: 1
    Hey there I have the same problem any chance you can tell me exactly what he did ?? gonna try and fix it aswell
  • normpetersonnormpeterson Member Posts: 2
  • normpetersonnormpeterson Member Posts: 2
    2004 Tacoma

When I flip the turn signal lever down for a left turn, the RPMs jump up 500-1000 from the previous RPM level. I can do this over and over.

Also the when flipping the left turn signal lever down, all of the rear lights blink except the right turn signal light which does not light up. If I press the brakes they all stop but remain on.

Also when pressing the brakes, the left turn signal lights, front and back, turn on continuously.

While the left turn signal is blinking I can hear and feel a very noticable clicking in the gear shift control.
  • tireshoptireshop Member Posts: 1
    switched engines out from a 5spd to Automatic and now i am having problems with it,
    started but no current going to plugs??
    From Distributor no electric going thru wires to the plugs....

Please advise..........

thank you.... :confuse:
    There is a thread here that explains some of the details here.

The problem resistors are marked 510. There is a single screw holding the whole unit in place, inside the sunglass pop-down case. The front is kept in with clips that are part of the unit at the front. You can tug it down. Don't remember it being that big of a problem.

The circuit board is screwed to the plastics. Disconnect the cable plug, remove the circuit board and re-solder the contacts on the resistors. If you don't know how to solder (as I didn't), have a competent friend do it.

Then put it back together. Mine didn't need to be re-calibrated, but I did need to set the location as per the TSB regarding the compass/temp gauge. Good luck.
  • krislynne76krislynne76 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Tacoma does the same type of thing. I can drive anytime with the lights off and the tail lights work as normal. Once I turn the lights on the reverse lights come on and the left blinker is either fast as can be or does not blink at all. However the green interior arrow on the dash stays constant green? I can not even get a mechanics to figure this out.
  • krislynne76krislynne76 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I can drive anytime with my lights off and the tail lights work as normal. Once I turn the lights on the reverse lights come on and the left blinker is either fast as can be or does not blink at all. However the green interior arrow on the dash stays constant green? I can not even get a mechanic to figure this out. I cant even get this truck inspected right now due to the malfunction. This is ridiculous... since all the recall issues now I can not even get a fair trade value on this toyota neither. Please Help!!!!!
  • rmreidrmreid Member Posts: 2
    I am guessing that the people that are having these funky things happen with turn signals and lights have trailer wiring??? I tracked my problem down to the converter that plugged into the tailight wiring. The little converter had gone bad. $35 replacement and good to go.

Randy
  • henry1975henry1975 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there I want to tank you for the advice I dit exacly how you say and the gage start working agaian only ane thing thre is two 510 resistors soo I WELD THE TWO RESISTORS oder than tha you explaing exacly .THANG YOU AGAIN
  • bob2380bob2380 Member Posts: 1
    This is in response to post # 37 by scavenagh. I have the exact same symptom on my '95 Tacoma. How did you resolve your problem?

A month ago the left turn signal failed to work on my trailer, and I found that the voltage to the left turn signal pin on the trailer electrical connector was half what it was at my Tacoma's left turn bulb. I reasoned that the problem was inside a sealed harness adapter screwed to the truck's frame, and I resolved the problem by running a wire to bypass that adapter, using a copper clamp to thoroughly secure my bypass wire to the existing wire, and sealed that up with liquid electrical tape, all of which is still as solid and sound as it was when I installed it.

Now I see there is a later post which suggests that the trailer signal convertor box may be to blame, so I'll be checking that. Anyone else who has had this problem and resolved it, please post your solution.
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    What year Tacoma do you have? Toyota must have changed the circuit board on the 07 model. My temp/compass stopped working yesterday. I took it apart and could not see anything wrong with the two 510 resistors. In fact the resistors and the entire circuit board is sealed with a greenish looking film. When I put it back together it started working, blinked slowly a couple of times then stopped working again. Any ideas?
    Mine is a 2005. Has no green film. When you say there was nothing wrong with the resistors, are you certain the solder is in good shape on both. It clearly was not on mine and that of others. There are electronics shops out there that might be able to take a look at it and tell you if indeed the solder on those resistors is intact. That the definitely the source of the problem for several of us.
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    I was wrong. I took it apart again, pushed on the resistors with a small screw-driver, and sure enough, one side of the 510 resistor was loose. Soldered both ends of both resistors, re installed the console, and it works. Yea!
  • boing757boing757 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2010
    The starter was sounding a litte weak,so i thought I'd check it out.I removed the batt. terminals and they were shot so I replaced them.When I hooked them back up the 4-ways started flashing and the door alarm sounds when I open the door with no key in and it won't turn over.Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and what i can do to fix it?It's a manual tranny if that makes a difference.