Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2004 and earlier

2»

Comments

• blackkiablackkia Member Posts: 1
    My engine light is on mechanic say need to replace it can not find anything on it does mean thermostat or air temp sensor would not give me must info without just getting it done can you help me locate part so i can do it.
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    My engine light is on mechanic say need to replace it can not find anything on it does mean thermostat or air temp sensor would not give me must info without just getting it done can you help me locate part so i can do it.
    Please specify what year is your car.
    Can you indicate problem code number?
  • allaboutjoallaboutjo Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the starter in my 4wd 01 sportage....In order for me to do this I had to take off the EFI system on top of the motor and disconnect the fuel rail from the Injectors. I replaced the o-rings on top of the injectors since I was there. Got everything put back together, but now check engine light is on and the hold light is flashing on the dash. I am able to get car started but it will not idle as it keeps stalling out when not pressing on the gas....Can anyone be of assistance? I did not want to have to drive it to autozone to get codes read due to it not idling. I am at my wits end with this repair as it has been one thing after another.
  • tomekcatomekca Member Posts: 1
    In my 8 years I have never used the Theft Deterrent system aside from enabling it by accident 3 times. The first two times I was able to disable it. This last time I cannot, no matter what I try. As soon as I put the key in on either the driver or passanger side and turn left or right, the horn goes off and lights flash.

The only way to stop it is to slide the key into the ignition (without having to start the car!).

As soon as I close the doors and lock, either by pushing the door lock buttons down, or by using the key (once again, turining it right or left), the Deterrent system is activated by the single horn honking.

If I lock the doors while driving in the car, then stop and turn off the engine, the horns will go off once I pull the key out. I need to slide the key back in to silence the horn, then I can get out and shut the doors and the system rearms itself.

Anyone had ideas what to do? I can't keep waking my neighbors up each time I need to use the car.

Thanks
    tom
  • fitzyou2fitzyou2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a repair manual for a 1995 Sportage. Can anyone help me?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Kia has a tech info center but I don't know how far back it goes.

The link (and some others) can be found in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
  • grumpyflygrumpyfly Member Posts: 2
    please see my need help with torque converter/transmission located at kia sportage maintence and repair. need some good advise and help.
    thanks, den
  • lterilteri Member Posts: 1
    My only key broke.I replaced ign but now cant lock doors.I was told 2001 Kia Sportage has auto door lock system in it already they would just sell me the lock key and program it.How do I know if the car already has this.Is there any way i can tell I bought the car used can dealer tell :confuse:
  • tieredtiered Member Posts: 3
    if you look at alot of the kia revues you will find people with same problem. in kias the valves will bend when timing belt brakes but $2000 is kinda high. if you have any mech. exp. at all you can fix it yourself for about $600. if not it shouldn,t cost more then $1200.hope this helps you,
  • tieredtiered Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 kia and have problems with a bad vibration when I let off the gas. Have checked the motor and tranny mounts seem fine. also seem to have a problem fouling out # 2 plug every 2500 miles. new to kias but worked on cars my whole life this one really seems to be very mind boggling.
  • catfishmikecatfishmike Member Posts: 1
    Does it have electric locks? Push one if others lock you should be good. Bought one for us at keylessride .com cheapest i found about 50.00. Programing will tell you about valet switch look for small tube looking wire at bottom center dash just up and to right of gas peddle. Real easy to program yourself.
  • jrosauerjrosauer Member Posts: 1
    My sportage will start to warm up afer coming off the highway. If i go back on the highway it cools down. It also will cool down by turning on the heater.

I have changed the theromstat. This radiator has 117,000 miles on it. I am thinking about putting in a new radiator. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time

Joe
  • mrsweeneymrsweeney Member Posts: 1
    Because your Sportage cools down once you are on the highway, it is highly unlikely that the problem is with your rad. If it was, it wouldn't cool down. Because you've already changed your thermostat, the most likely cause is a bad fan clutch. It is not engaging when the engine warms up, so the engine begins to overheat at low speed or when stationary. On the highway, the airflow from the higher speed cools the engine down.
    Replacement is easy. After draining rad and removing upper rad hose and fan shroud, remove four nuts holding fan clutch in place. Remove fan clutch and replace with a new unit. Good luck. :D
  • csvarnumcsvarnum Member Posts: 1
    After driving in hot weather for an hour or so, the fuel pump shuts off, and the car will only idle. If I turn off the ignition for a second or two, it starts right up again, and may run for 10 minutes, or an hour, or even a month, except when I return to hot weather (over 90 degrees F) it will occur again. Have had the codes read, some have indicated both of oxygen sensors at fault, replaced both, another pointed out the mass air sensor, replaced that. Have replaced the relays and the fuel pump twice, after the last pump replacement rigged up a pressure reading system while driving, and it definitely showed the pump being shut off. The check engine indicator light is on almost all the time. I cannot pass an emissions test even after replacing the spark plugs and having the injectors cleaned. Found another blog in spanish (I am in Costa Rica) that pretty well spells out the same problem, and he solved it by replacing the engine computer. Before I spend any more money, am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, how did they cure it.
  • mfantmfant Member Posts: 1
    I went out to drive my 1999 kia sportage 5 speed this morning, when i depressed the clutch it was hard to depress. Ordinarily the clutch is very easy to depress. Any idea what the problem may be? mfant
  • tishpit1tishpit1 Member Posts: 24
    I had a 2002 Sportage that I LOVED until this idiot in an extended van plowed into me at 50 mph and totaled it. I was injured, but nothing life-threatening and actually got out of the vehicle unassisted! Awesome vehicle! (They don't make 'em like that anymore). I also have a '91 Shadow ES convertible and it is a bear to find parts for it. I would like another small truck-based SUV and was looking at another Sportage or a Chevy Tracker. The Tracker shares parts with Suzuki Vitara (I had one of those as well and liked it also). So there are parts available for the Suzuki/Chevy.... but I'm wondering how difficult is it to find parts for the older model Sportages since they've not been sold in the U.S. since the 2002 model year?
  • BillySeterBillySeter Member Posts: 2
    2004 kia sportage how long does it take to replace the engine