Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    Yes. It is "either/or" not both.
  • ap2009ap2009 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,
    I am about to buy a 2009 CX-9 FWD GT here in Southern California. I am being quoted a price of $31,700 + TTL. The following packages are included
    GT ASSIST PKG, TOWING PKG and MOON ROOF- BOSE PKG.

Question for all the gurus here... Is this a fair price? Please let me know soon so that I can pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance
  • mjadhavmjadhav Member Posts: 5
    I had ordered Consumer Reports New Car Price Service Report, according to that report: $31,350 + $2300 + $1960 + $525 = $36,135 ... minus $1500 rebate = $34,635.
    Looks like you are geting it for a lot less than what is quoted in this report. How did you manage to do that?
    I actually approached the Internet Sales Dept directly. Also, I did let them know that I am a serious buyer (willing to buy in the next 2-3 weeks), pre-approved thru credit union and that I am comparing prices with other dealers as well. Also, on edmunds, the TMV comes to $31,461. So, it seems like a good deal but still in the same range as others in the forum...
  • mjadhavmjadhav Member Posts: 5
    Are they oferring you a $1500 rebate or $4000? Also, do you qualify for $1000 Mazda customer loyalty rebate?
  • danz75danz75 Member Posts: 7
    What's the MSRP or Invoice on that?

I bought a CX-9 GT Stormy Blue AWD with moonroof/BOSE and Tow Hitch a few weeks ago. I think it was $4500 off invoice. Did not get loyalty bonus since I dont' have a Mazda. Most of the internet quotes I got back were around $4000 off invoice. Inventory varies depending on the color and options.
    The invoice is around $39,300. I got several quotes, two of them offering over $7000 off MSRP, one is offering $6500 off MSRP.

I am not a current Mazda owner and hence do not qualify for the loyalty stuff.
  • webxplorewebxplore Member Posts: 4
    Based on my experience, the price is very good for a GT with nav(includes tow) and roof. Your price seems to be atleast 4500+ off invoice (assuming 39340 msrp) or 7500+ below msrp.
    Dealers seem to be pricing based on the available inventory. Here in the dfw area, I see that there are few gt's left with roof and nav. Not to mention the limited color choices. I got quotes anywhere from 33200 to 33700 (on an msrp 39585) and nobody is willing to go down.
  • mindleftnumbmindleftnumb Member Posts: 10
    Do you mind sharing which dealership in Southern California you're going through?
  • counselor4444counselor4444 Member Posts: 47
    Can someone please tell me more about this 4,000 dealer incentive cash that I see posted about above? Is this nationwide? Is this being offered on all 09 CX-9's? Is it in addition to the $1500 manufacturer rebate being offered? (I should not that I am NOT using Mazda financing)

I want to purchase the base model with no options which is $29,820 plus destination. Invoice is around $28K. Anyone know what I should be able to get this for? Will I get the $4k + $1,500 off that price? =$22,500?
    No not both. EITHER $4k manufacturer to dealer incentive OR $1500 cash back with special Mazda financing rates. If you have secured your own financing, i would go with the $4k. If you are a Mazda owner now you CAN add on an additional $1k loyalty rebate.
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    A quick price calc would be invoice (excluding destination) less holdback (probably $530 or so, basically MSRP incl destination x 1.75%) less the $4k fact to dealer cash plus dealer profit (2-5% of cost?), then add back the destination charge because it is an actual cost to the dealer that they must pay. So, assuming a $750 destination charge, I would say you are probably looking at somewhere just south of $25k, or $5,500 off sticker. If you own a mazda you can subtract an additional $1,000 for the rebate. Lay this formula out for the sales manager and I think you will get your deal done pretty quickly. The biggest sticking point might be how much profit you think the dealer should get. I think 3% is pretty fair, so maybe start with 2%. The biggest unknown is whether they have any hidden volume incentives that they can use to bring the price down further. Without knowing that, it's tougher to argue lower than the result using the formula laid out above. Also check trucar.com and edmunds to get a feel for average actual prices paid.
    Doh. That's still more then I have to spend. I only have 23K (+ tax, title, registration) to spend on the base model. This vehicle may never come low enough for me to buy it. I may need to look at other brands :-(

Any chance if I hold out until later this fall that I could get this for 23K?
    I think I read somewhere in here that the 2008s had $5-6k incentives well after the 2009s started coming out, but the obvious risk is whether the inventory will be there.

You could go in and lay it out straight to them and say, this is what I have to spend, can you get there. Worst case they simply say no and you have your answer. If they can get there, I would say there must be some kind of other relatively big volume incentive that they are sharing with you, and they are making very little on the car.

The article in the link below indicates supply/demand might be starting to come in line a bit more, so whether big discounts will be available later will depend a lot on whether that's true...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/209238?from=rss
  • mindleftnumbmindleftnumb Member Posts: 10
    Somewhere within this thread a buyer mentioned getting a great rate at penfed.com. I finally decided to check it out and it was a pleasant surprise. Unlike B of A, which 2 days later is still trying to process my app, penfed gave me a result in 5 minutes. Check is already in the mail supposedly. You do have to pay $20 to join their group if you're not a military relative/member but I think its a good cause and worth it.

Hope this helps someone....
  • volfan3volfan3 Member Posts: 9
    I ended up buying at a different dealer. I got a '09 FWD CX-9 with moonroof/bose in the exact color we wanted for $28k even out hte door excluding state taxes. I think the "price" was $27345 plus doc fee, temp tag, etc. that got it to $28k out the door. Again, I will still have to pay state tax on that - they didn't collect it because I bought out of state.
  • pop_tartpop_tart Member Posts: 5
    Trying to work a deal in DFW.. 2009 CX-9 Sport. No options. Tried to get $22k + TTL with the 0% Financing that's after $3500 for cash for clunkers plus the mazda $500 kicker and $1500 disc. on CX-9's. That would make it $27.5k before discounts. We got close.. $22.8k but he wouldn't do the 0% he said the price was two low and their deal with the lender wouldn't let him do it. He said I would need to do $25.6k if I wanted the 0%.. I thought the connection between sales price and finance % was BS. I didn't have to make a deal so I walked.. Is the $27.5k before discounts reasonable?
    Sorry folks, was out-of-town for a while with no internet. Please try the Browning Mazda in Cerritos or the Tuttle-Click Mazda in Irvine.

I finally got my 2009 Mazda CX 9 FWD GT for $31,689 + TTL. It comes with the GT Assist Package, Moon-Roof Package and towing Package thru Cerritos dealer.
    Things went pretty smoothly, seems like Mazda is doing well (so are other dealers due to the "clunker" deal) and it took forever to do the financing/paperwork etc.
    Hi all,
    I know the July 2009 dealer incentive on the CX-9 was 4K. Any changes for August? Thanks!
    Ok.. So I went to another dealer over the weekend. I actually got an even better deal than I was initially looking for. I think forgoing the 0% and taking advantage of the $4k worked out better for me. I was able to get an '09 Sport w/ Power Seat Option for $20496 +TTL. Basically it was $28496 - $4000 Mazda - $500 Mazda Clunker Kicker - $3500 Fed Clunker Cash. I'm happy with the deal.. I think it's about as low as I could get.. So feel free to weigh in.... how did I do?
  • keyseekr246keyseekr246 Member Posts: 9
    I was told July incentives expire today (Aug 3rd). I was quoted 28600 for Touring AWD w/ Bose Moon. That includes 1K Mazda owner plus 4K incentive that seems pretty uniform across the board. Gotta ask how pop tart can trade in a clunker for a vehicle that gets 17-18mpg combined? I know we are not buying the CX-9 for mpg so I gotta wonder how that works.....or doesn't. I know the GM CUVs Acadia et al were available @ 20 mpg combined, but I didn't think the CX-9 qualified. Then again this is the government we are talking so who knows.
    I am willing to bet that if you ride out the clunker craze and when 2010s come in with a mild refresh the 2009s will be even a better deal. Only problem is colors seem limited, plenty of black and grey and very few white/red on the lots in Chi-area.
    Yeah, the July rebate/incentive ended yesterday. So, I want to know what it is starting today. Any chance the incentive is more then 4K now?

And I agree that the deals will be better at the end of the cash for clunkers program but no low end models or good colors will be left. That's the problem.

When someone gets the new August incentive, will you please post it? Thanks!
    The CX-9 falls into the Category 1 Truck section of the Clunkers program. Which means it needs to have at least 18 MPG and 4 MPG (for $3500) or 5 MPG (for $4500) more than clunker you're trading in. That's if you're trading in another SUV, which I was. I'm not sure about what the rules are for cars. I was getting rid of an '01 Durango which was rated at a combined 14 MPG and going to an '09 CX-9 FWD which had a combined of 18 MPG so I qualified for $3500. The AWD does not qualify since it's below 18 MPG.. I would have loved to get the full $4500 and could have on other SUV's rated at 19 or 20 MPG but preferred the CX-9 over the others.
    According to the dealers I spoke to today, the rebate and incentives are unchanged for August. (FYI)
    The dates on the Mazda website have also changed from Aug 3rd to Aug 31st. If you are not picky on colors or options Sept. may be better, but looks like some good deals can be had right now. I have considered the Acadia or even the Outlook thinking Saturn would have to discount, but if you want a Moonroof and AWD good luck to you. For the price of an AWD Touring w/Bose/roof you can not touch a GM CUV. Sorry General ahhemm Govt. Motors maybe next time.

Thanks pop tart for the heads up on the FWD available for the CARS program, I am not sure if everyone knew that. Just think that rusted out Navajo(explorer clone) sitting in your driveway now be worth $4500-5500!!!.only in America.
    Can someone recommend a dealer in the NY/NJ/PA/CT/DE area? I don't mind traveling to get the best price. Thanks!
  • rtwickrtwick Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking for same.

I have been talking to john kennedy mazda in PA for a blue/sand cx-9 touring with moonroof/bose. the best he's offering right now is 33650 - 4000 - 1000 (owner loyality). This is the lowest i have found for a blue/sand so far. They have a lot in inventory and may give a better price if I'm not too inclined on the blue color.

is this a good price?
    Seems like what I am getting quoted in WI/IL AWD Touring Bose/Moon pearl/tan 33600-4K-1K loyalty. We have decided that if you don't want a Van this is one of the best values $/cargo space. Again the GM CUVs are a little bigger, but you can not get the same features for the price.

I think it is a good price, but I have seen many Silver/Black and Blue out there so use your judgement, if they are not moving at that price and the 2010's come in I would bet you could save a couple more bucks.
  • fiveinwifiveinwi Member Posts: 3
    We are in the market for a CX-9 Touring FWD with Moonroof/Bose pkg., roof rack and homeline/compass. We found one that still needs the home/link compass installed in Blue Mica with Black interior. I offered $27,500 with home/link compass and roof cross bars thrown in plus TTL. The dealer offered $28,500 plus TTL and no homelink/compass or roof cross bars. We are in a stand off. How's my pricing?
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    fiveinwi,
    I can't comment about your price, but rest assured that both homelink/roofrail can be installed easily by yourself. No need for dealers to do them. So, this makes it flexible for your negotiation.
    - roofrail: 10 minutes with a screwdriver
    - homelink/audodimming: 30mins-2hours (depending on your skill)
    Parts can be bought at many internet Mazda dealers.
    Here is one
    www.mazdaparts.org
    (free S&H > $100 - this is important 'cause stuffs like roofrails cost $$$ to ship)
  • metalprofmetalprof Member Posts: 7
    I think that's a terrible price if it's for an 09, because we got an AWD for essentially the same price he's offering a FWD. Here's our deal: an 09 CX-9 AWD Touring with Moonroof/Bose in KY, taking the $4K cash. MSRP was $35.8. We got it for base price of 28700 (no $1K customer loyalty cash). With TL/processing fees of 500, and 1700 in taxes, came to 30913 OTD. Bought it from Paul Miller Mazda in Lexington. Good luck!
  • franklaudfranklaud Member Posts: 2
    This past weekend, I was able to get the FWD Touring msrp $32465 for $26000 before TTL. The cool thing is that I had no idea about the $4k rebate. I actually was there to buy a Chevy Traverse when I saw the CX-9 and decided to test drive. OMG there is no comparison to the Traverse. We got so much more for the same $$, like leather, bluetooth and dual zone Climate Control with rear control and 18in wheels and tires. The same features in a Traverse would have put me at 35k msrp. Love how sporty the CX-9 is and I have been a GM guy all my life. No More! Zoom Zoom Zoom.
  • fiveinwifiveinwi Member Posts: 3
    That's actually very comparable to the deal we are discussing. We have requested more options - Moonroof/Bose, homelink/compass, and roof rack. MSRP on those is $2485.
  • dp09dp09 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 09 cx9 at Galpin in Los Angeles
    sticker was at $39.3K for a Grand Touring with Navi + sound system+ moonroof
    they have a $1500 rebate + another $500 if you trade in a clunker
    so we got $4000 for our clunker (3500+500) and the $1500 off
    they are offering 2.9% for 5 yrs for a purchase
    we got employee pricing thru a connection and will have a pymt of $625/month for
    5yrs with no additional down and I got them to include all maintenance
    Looked like a good deal to me as all the competitors (Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander) wanted that payment for 6 years instead even though the MSRP is the same. Hope this helps anyone looking and if anyone has any comments I would love feedback
  • talon90talon90 Member Posts: 10
    I'm from Fl and i got this offer from a dealer over the phone for a '09 CX-9 GT FWD blue/tan with just a moon roof/Bose package for $32,500 OTD. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. This is just my 2nd quote which is much better than the first one. Shall i pull the trigger on this one or not? Thanks in advance..
    I bought a blue/black but mine was AWD and had the GT assist package. I paid $33,315, or only $815 more than you. I think AWD and the GT Assist pkg invoice are worth several grand, so in my opinion that price is too high. 17% off MSRP is a pretty decent discount on a loaded up model, maybe a slightly smaller discount for you since you don't have AWD or the GT Assist and the MSRP will be lower to start.
    it is somewhat difficult to compare OTD prices across states. it is better to list out the sales price (incl. destination) + TTL (Tax Titles Licensing) to be able to compare.
    I agree that the CX-9 is a real value when compared to the GM CUVs. I have been in a GM family all my life and want to help the home team, but I found you could not touch an AWD Traverse for under 30K and good luck finding one with a sunroof. Still too much plastic in the Chevy, GMC and Buick are much nicer, but still the same vehicle.

Wife's Mazda 6 has 140K plus and still running strong with no real problems since new, so I do not hesitate to buy another Mazda. We will be out this weekend and hopefully can get a deal. I have seen an offer of 0% plus all incentives so I hope to work something out.
    if your wife has a mazda6 make sure you ask for the $1000 loyalty bonus discount for mazda owners/leasers and get some extra savings.
    Thanks - very good point. I wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't see that his is OTD. Mine is prior to TTL, so his deal might be pretty decent.
  • talon90talon90 Member Posts: 10
    I think we pay 6.5% in tax here in FL, so i figured the price of the vehicle is about $30, 500. I'm still thinking of squeezing some more though since i'm leaving for NY today, and i saw someone here got a great deal somewhere in NJ a few days ago. I told the salesman i won't be back from NY till next Monday so he's holding it for me. If i got the same deal with an AWD, i don't mind driving it back to FL.
  • slinghaslingha Member Posts: 16
    We got ours about a month ago. but to rehash...here's the deal we got.

Im in Jersey...We just bought a

2009 Awd Gt. Pearl Paint/Moonroof/GT Assist/Towing/All Weather Mats/Cargo Net/Cargo Mat/Rear Bumper Guard/Roof Rack/Remote Start/Splash Guards

41,877 sticker. Without any negotiation, We got it for 34,900. We took all of the cash that we were eligible for(all but the loyalty cash)We also got 3% financing up to 60 months. Only 125 dollars in additional fees. Other places wanted 500 in fees....Scott Mazda in Bethlehem PA(just over the border from Jersey.
    Wanted to add a few comments after my deal "fell" thru today. I have posted my quote for a Touring AWD Bose/Moon of invoice 33600-4K-1K loyalty for a price of 28600. Called to check if still there yes, show up tomorrow you can have it for 28K even. Drove 2 hrs (Chicago burbs in rush hour) only to be told by a complete a -hole salesman that he sold it to another dealer and in so many words me, my wife and 4 month old to take a hike. I could go on, but won't ....so I went to the mothership dealer a couple of miles up the street (where my quote came from) talked to the quote guy and he was great tried to get me the deal, offered me 30K on a similar GT, called the owner of the dealership to try to get it done and they said it was traded for more that I was offering. Will give it to me for 29.3K I came back with 29K. No deal I walked over 300, but at that point it was the ethics and we got a bad vibe from the whole thing. I was not financing, had cash in hand, saw the CX-9 on the lot and was basically told....we don't want your money. This is my first brand new car purchase, so I was a little shocked to say the least. The lesson here for all of you is, if you want a 2009 with 4K-1K(loyalty) off of invoice jump on it. The internet guy at Community Mazda in Oak Forest IL will give you a great quote, but avoid the #^*hole salesman at all costs, they all know who he is. In fact stop by the community Pontiac GMC, pick up the internet quote guy and then go to the Mazda down the street. Hey that is my lesson for the day......
  • slinghaslingha Member Posts: 16
    I think you are putting too much faith in the Internet quote guy. They all figured that you had driven so long that you'd take what they gave you. What you should take from this is if you find the car you want ANk for the sale paperwork to be over ighted to you so you can review and confirm vin. You got bait and switched
    I totally agree.....lesson learned, I have no desire to do business with some one who operates like that. It is very true that the job of the internet quote guy is to get you there and then get the "real" deal done. If dealers wonder why we don't call them back and come in it is because of crap like this. It is great to shop price, but at the end of the day an honest upfront dealer is worth something in my book. I'll keep looking, hopefully something before the end of the Month.

For what it is worth. I don't know if I want to trust info from this guy, but they did say there will be no more 2009s as they have the 2010s ordered
  • sameemsameem Member Posts: 8
    Sorry about your experience keyseekr. I've been bait and switched a bunch of times. Everything from a certain color to an actual model. Once I inquired about an R32 at a VW dealership, was told it was available and when I got there they told me it was sold and tried to sell me a Tiburon coupe!

Is Mazda still offering the $4K rebate? My dealer is saying invoice minus $1500 only. Must be a regional thing. I'm in California. One dealer even quoted me MSRP minus the $1500 and didn't want to negotiate!
    Yeah it was more a bait and jerk you around. I was not really offered another car in the classical sense of the bait and switch, but they were sitting on about 10 CX-9s...it was just not what I expected.

R32 for a Tiburon.....humm let me think about that. Somebody must fall for these scams otherwise you think they would have gone away. To be honest as a long time basher of Hyundai (eX sell, he he!!), the new Genesis coupe is pretty cool, way better than any Tiburon.

Anyway a few phone calls I was able to "secure" a deal for the Touring AWD bose/moon for my original invoice 33600 - 4K rebate - 1K loyalty. This was a dealer that has a good rep and I hope things work out better, I have recd an email, text, fax with a quote and confirmation with vin and detailed price.

As far as the 4K discount I found it sort of an unadvertised special, some dealers were up front and others were not acknowledging that. We actually got higher priced quotes on the Sport models than most of the Touring which I thought was odd. Sport would work, but with a baby and dog (Read:food, dirt, puke etc..) leather is way better medium to clean.

This may get off on another topic, but I think the Touring a nice middle ground between Sport and the GT. I was not a fan of the GTs 20" wheels both the ride quality and what on earth does it cost to replace 4 20" tires? I'm sure 18" are not cheap, but other than the factory pimp look I just don't see the need for the 20. I plan to keep this car for a long time so that factors in to my thinking. I also was not fond of the GTs key card thing. I sorta like turning a key to start the car and also I like to lift the tailgate myself. It would take no time for me to indent the power rear hatch with my garage door. Navigation is cool, but please correct me if I am wrong, is it not in every factory nav equiped vehicle I have driven some lawyer screen that you have to "accept" prior to getting to the radio/nav controls, that makes sure you don't look at the screen while driving.......sorry that was my impression of the GT I drove and it stuck. The whole Big Brother feel of Nav screens scares me off.
  • carmamacarmama Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Blue/ Tan FWD CX-9 Grand Touring with the Moonroof, GT Assist Package, Towing Package, Roof Rails and Mud Flaps for $33,414 + TTL from Royal Palm Mazda in Royal Palm Beach on July 31st. Lehman Mazda in Miami quoted a price that was a few hundred dollars less, but they would have had to do a dealer trade for the vehicle we wanted and Miami is farther from where I live than Royal Palm Beach. Used PenFed for financing instead of Mazda's captive lender (Chase).
    to each his own, keyseekr, but there are a few errors in your tangential review of the GT:
    - 20" wheels provide better handling but at the cost of exaggerated feel of bumps in the road (ie. best for smooth highways) plus they sure do look pimpy good =)
    - with keyless start, you still do the "turn-the-key" motion but you don't actually have to put in any key. (it's not a push-button like in nissan, lexus, infinitis)
    - power tailgate: you CAN open and close the tailgate yourself if you want, but at least you can CHOOSE to do it with the power (eg. when you have a whole cart full of groceries and 2 toddlers you need to hold hands with) - nice feature in my opinion
    - NAV: you don't really have to look much at the nav screen since the voice commands tell u what to do as well, but considering how much people's eyes wander on the road with cell phones and other gadgets, i think having nav is not the safety risk you make it out to be. bluetooth helps a lot as well.

again, to each his own...your opinion is legit and i think the Touring is for you....but since this is a public forum, i didn't want people who were considering GT vs Touring to be misled.
  • brawndobrawndo Member Posts: 1
    Hi slingha,

I'm looking for GT with the exact options you obtained. I'm in NYC and just got 5 email "quotes" from regional dealers but in reality none of them were quotes, just attempts to get me into the dealership.

Would you mind letting me know who you worked with at Scott Mazda to get yours? My email address is in my profile. I'd prefer work with a recommendation from here instead of a random dealer solicitations. Thanks!