Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jast66jast66 Member Posts: 3
    just bought a 09 Sports FWD base trim with no options, the 30,500 MSRP one.

Sell price was 24500 (before TTL)

Final price was 24500 + TTL - 1000 royal customer rebate. Came out to be 26K OTD.

I think I got a reasonable deal (thought not 7500, it was roughly 7000 below MSRP afterall), not a screaming awesome deal by all means but took very little time to come up with the price, I could had spent more time to knock off a thousand more MAYBE.

Happy with the car, was having difficulties buying a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder at that price. But I test drove the Mazda today and found it to be a nicer ride than the pathfinder.

***QUESTION HERE***

I am offered $2500 to extend my bumper to bumper + power train warranty to 100,000 miles or 10 years. What do you guys think of it? Should I do the extension or save the $? To keep the warranty I need to do an oil change every 4 months or so (apparently) My car doesn't get driven a whole lot, looking at likely 8k miles/year.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    That Warranty is pretty much list price...WAY too high!

I got an 09 AWD GT a few months back and the dealer offered me 100K, 10 years for $1800.

The Mazda Warranty can be found here (Although they outsource to www.easycare)
    http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/pricing.html

You can get the LIST price for the service contract for your vehicle. You should pay no more than that and typically a lot less. If YOUR dealer doesn't offer it, go shop around to other MAzda or Ford dealers. You've got up to 25K miles before you need to commit before the rates go up.

You can see the details of the Mazda Warranties at...(look at TotalCare)
    http://www.easycare.com/benefits/products/vehicle-service-contracts
  • s4cts4ct Member Posts: 2
    Was that quote of $1800 for zero deductible?
  • edm111edm111 Member Posts: 11
    That is the best price you can get with the current promotions. If you get a better price then the dealer is cutting on the holdbacks, it is to my knowledge.

I would have loved the 1000 Loyality rebate. and it is a big difference, like 4% of the price of the vehicle.

Regarding the extended warranty, I did not give a thought to it.
  • tripl3threattripl3threat Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to this forum, I had the info I needed to negotiate a cash purchase of a 2009 CX-9 GT with the following options:

1. GT Assist
    2. Bose/Moonroof
    3. Splashgaurds
    4. Roof rails

I got the $4,500 factory to dealer incentive off invoice, for a total price of $33,000. Less trade-in, plus TTL for an OTD price of $34,500. I choose the Stormy Blue on Sand - they had two left last week with these options (white and silver). Dealer = Lee Johnson, Kirkland WA. Similar deal available at University Mazda (they have black/black as well).

BTW - for additional options, I've put in an order with mazdaparts.org (not .com) - free shipping over $100 and about 20% below dealer cost. Just ordered all weather floor mats, cargo mat, roof rack crossbars (grrr that those aren't standard) and a cargo net for about $350. Oh yeah, and a jar touch-up paint because that first door ding is probably just around the corner.

After a week - I've found nothing I don't like about this car. The negative comments I've read about not having a trip MPG computer are not applicable to the 09 - the mpg computer is full featured and really nice. I hated the NAV unit the first time I drove the 08 model, but after a week, I like it much better than my Garmin Nuvi. Added and unexpected feature - it finds media files on my Windows Phone and plays them over BT.

Only DOH so far is that I whacked a curb on 2nd day pulling into a lot. No damage to wheel or tire - and I whacked it pretty hard. Looks like there is a coating on the rims to prevent brake dust build up, and that held up too. Still sucked. Use to driving a much smaller car.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    just so you know, the cargo mat only covers the area with the 3rd-row up. if you primarily have the 3rd-row down, you may want to look into other larger cargo mats (weathertech and husky have been mentioned in the forum elsewhere).
  • jast66jast66 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I was getting $0 deductible (based on memory from verbal description) for the $2500, but I am looking at my contract now and it has $100 deductible crossed. (Total Care)

What would be a reasonable price for 120 month/100,000 miles on a 09 FWD Sports? For both $100 deductible and $0 deductible.

Thanks!
    Yes
    My mistake.

I have a 08 CX-9 AWD GT and 09 CX7 AWD GT. Extended warranties for both.

For my CX-9 I went with an AAA bumper to bumper warranty for $1600 for 7 Years/100000 miles with $0 deductible.

The CX-7 was the info I povided with the Mazda warranty.
  • sanjaynsanjayn Member Posts: 8
    The $24.3 for a sport with the pw6 package is pretty good. I bought the same trim with AWD for $25.9. Figure abt $1400 for the AWD and the price is $24.5. I dindt have to negotiate for the price, went thru the Costco auto buying program which was hassle and haggle free.
    I like the best bang for my hard earned bucks so i price researched aggresively and found that no one could beat the Costco price in mid July when i bought the car
  • leemanwleemanw Member Posts: 5
    ALSO, thanks to this forum, I became an educated consumer. Which is the dealer's worst enemy and buyer's best friend. Those sharks get so frustrated... =8P
    I found valuable current market pricing & available discounts to better negotiate my trade-in and a financed purchase. My choice was rare, but on Friday I found a new 2009 CX-9 GT with the following options:

1. Bose/Moonroof: w/ 6 disc CD/Sirius Sat radio/Homelink/Auto dimming rear view
    2. Stainless Steel Bumper Guard

She had an MSRP of $36,600. I got her for $28,700 plus additional $1,350 more for my trade-in. The additional trade monies were more than multiple other GMC, Chevy, Saturn & Mazda dealers were offering.

That is $7,900 off retail plus $1,350 more trade-in equaling a total $9,250.00 off MSRP. She came to $31,600 OTD.

Good Price Negotiating??

GAP Insurance $749...good idea for purchase? good price? Will raise mo. pymnt. $2/mo.

Tampa Bay Area Dealer, FL

Thanks All
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Sounds like you did well on the price of your CX9...however, they got you for about $450 in the GAP insurance.

I work for a dealership and as an employee we get GAP for $300 and that's with the dealership making $50 in profit.
  • texasmaxtexasmax Member Posts: 75
    Leemanw- Did you finance through the dealer, or did you bring your own cash/financing? If through the dealer, what kind of rate did you get? Thanks!
  • katinflkatinfl Member Posts: 2
    leemanw,

Also looking for GT w/exact same options in Tampa Bay area. Looks like there are only a few in the area with those options. Can you share the dealership? Looks like you got a great deal! Not sure my trade will net as much as I'd like, but going to give it a shot.

Thanks!
    texasmax, dealer financed for decent rate and term.
    katinfl, rather not say which dealership, but was pleased with manager and his patient demeanor. i always think i could have gotten better price, rate and terms after purchases. i guess GAP insurance IS negotiable? F & I guy said it's not.
    Does anyone know if GAP insurance is negotiable????

Is GAP a really good form of protection or can your auto insurance company provide similar coverage???

I was told $749, which is @ $2 month more, was the cost, period. You have 30 days to cancel so am wondering what your thoughts are.

Thx
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Dont think twice about it and get GAP, believe me. A few years back my Frontier got stolen and was vandalized (think fire) and totaled. GAP covered about $5K in negative equity that my insurance did not cover. I am not saying that your CX9 will get stolen, but GAP covers anything that the insurance will not cover if you owe more then the current value. The last thing you want is to keep making payments on a vehicle you don't have.

...and yes GAP is negotiable, don't let the F&I guy screw you. They make commision on anything they sell (i.e. GAP, Alarm, Extended Warranty, Exterior Protection Details, Lo-Jack...) Like I mentioned before I work for a dealership and I know that the GAP insurance providers we use charges the dealer $250 for each plan, hence I got it for $300. They are many GAP insurance providers but I really doubt any will charge the dealer more then $400 per policy. NEGOTIATE!
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    Call your insurance company first and ask them if you need to get it or if you are covered under your current policy. I have State Farm and before I bought my CX9 I called them just to discuss how my auto insurance rates would change. I didn't even bring GAP up, they did, and they told me up front not to get it if it was offered because the way my policy was structured I didn't need it.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    GAP insurance is negotiable--my credit union offers it for $175.
    That's very interesting. Although, my car loan is through a bank. I guess I need to check with them if they offer it or I wonder if my credit union would offer it even though they did not do the financing?!

I was mistaken earlier when I said $2/mo. more, it's actually $12/mo. more. Dealers just kill me with all the lies they perpetrate on consumers.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'd bet that you can't get GAP insurance from someone who had nothing to do with the loan. However, your insurance company may offer it. Some do, and the rate will almost certainly be better than anything offered by the stealer.
  • splishkidsplishkid Member Posts: 7
    dealer accepted my offer of $35,000 for GT AWD w/ moon/Bose amd power hatch ($37,500 msrp). Have not closed deal. I think can do better but probably near bottom. Any comments out there ?
  • edmu1edmu1 Member Posts: 3
    edm111, Could you mention the name of your salesperson at crystal? Thanks.
    James Osorio. Later I also worked with another rep. I will update the name when I find his card.

BTW. I took the delivery. The vehicle is great. made a 250 miles long drive this weekend.

To the people who did not see my previous posts in other pages. I got 09 Maxda CX-9 Sport with power seat package.

I wanted to have the RemoteStarter installed on this, but the dealer said the cheap one costs $550. If installed at the dealer it is covered under warranty. I want to check with you guys and fix it. I thought it is $350

Annoying thing I feel till now is This doesn't have Auto head lights. Atleast it should switch off when the engine is turned off and driver door is opened. It gives annoying beep sound. This is a standard option. I have to try again.
    The headlights should be delayed switched off(As per the Specs), but doesn't work. When i go to the dealer, I have to get it checked.

Another thing which bugs me is Auto door locks when driving, My 13 year old car auto locks the door when I shift to Drive... Mazda... it is a few lines of code in the programming...
  • tripl3threattripl3threat Member Posts: 8
    Looks like a pretty good deal - about $500 over invoice, and less than what Edmunds says others are paying for the same model/options. If you want the 2010, you're getting close to the bottom, IMO. If you've read this forum than you probably know that you can save about $4500 off of invoice on the new 2009 models - at least until they run out, or Mazda turns off the incentive. Getting more difficult to find color and option choices, but still a few out there - at least in the Seattle area. Apart from the new grill-work, and the center stack button changes, I didn't see any big changes in the two model years. But you 2010 model should have a bit more residual value after 3-4 years. If you plan to keep the car much more than 4 years, the difference in resale between 09 and 10 will become less significant. You might get more value in the long term for a fully-loaded 09 for $5000 less than what you will pay for a 2010. But I may just be rationalizing my own decision to buy the 09 :-). I think you'll be very happy with either choice. You can price out the options here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/mazda/cx9/101236118/optionsresults.html?action=2- .
    i have Auto headlights and they work fine - is it just a GT/Touring option?

personally, i wouldn't want autolocking doors so i am glad Mazda did not make that standard.
  • splishkidsplishkid Member Posts: 7
    thanks Triple3threat
    we are on same page. totally agree with all your points.. I have to buy a 2010 for reasons that are a bit complicated to explain here. (business stuff)
    anyway--thank you for confirmation on the $35,000 for 2010. I think it is a fair price.
    going to one more dealer in north jersey who is known for lowest prices. It will be interesting to see if they can beat $35,000.

I should close deal this Friday

I will post my purchase price and dealer then
  • zoomcx9zoomcx9 Member Posts: 2
    just purchased CX9 2010, it is really zoom...zoom...zoom :) with irrestable package price :blush: . GT AWD with navigation, moonroof & bose, remote engine starter & keyless entry(standard feature in GT) all mats included (floor & cargo), moonroof wind deflector, roof rack,splash guard, retractable cover, & cargo nets, rear bumper step plate.

MSRP of 39405 :( (navigation, rear hatch & roof rack) without other options , dealer gave .0795 off as dealers dealer discount($3332), $200 above invoice, Undergo negotiation final price is 36500 :shades: plus documentation fee. The best part, got the 1.9% APR :) approved by Chase Mazda. Over all, it comes that all the accessory/options & intallations worth 1400 was free. Savings more or less $4750 after all the negotiation.

Well, we really dont like the Navigation package, we make a deal that from MSRP & Options/Installations price total to deduct the price of navigation package & we will take the vehicle.Dealer gave it based on our asking price.You just need to be firm with your decision & inform them your allocated budget.

They (dealers) are selling the first batch of CX9 2010, you can negotiate with them & they will just make up with the succeeding sale/unit. They want atleast to sell between 3-5 units & from there, they have to be strict on pricing. Let say that they sell it in convincing price as promotional for people to see in their area & compare its beauty, agility & zoooooooooooooominest is above par than other SUV/crossover.
  • teddie001teddie001 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a storm blue 09 GT-FWD with moonroof/bose + nav system + towing package + bumper guard + splash guard + wheel lock. I was offered $32,127 (MSRP $3968X?) that was $4500 off the invoice. I learned from this forum that there could be room for cutting several hundred $ more on price, however, in my area (Austin, TX), there were only 2 fully loaded 09 GT-FWDs from 2 different dealers. I did not have enough choices to make me a better negotiator. The other dealer did drop the price below $32,000, but I don't like its silver color. I ended up with the $32,127 one. I am kind of satisfied with the price I paid; I know it's not a great price, $7500 off the MSRP is good enough though.

The OTD I paid is $34774 (TAX + license fee + doc fee +......). When I went through the paper work, the sales guy even told that I can write off the sales TAX (about $2000 in my case) for my 2009 tax return. He said this is the part of the stimulus package passed at the beginning of this year. wow, what a good surprise! :surprise:

I was also offered an extended warranty (total care), $1400 for 7year/100,000m, I have not accepted it yet, is this a good deal? Or, CX-9 scores high on reliability, do I really need to extend the standard warranty? Did you guys purchase the extended warranty? :confuse: I am not an experienced Mazda owner; this one is my first mazda.

Thanks all
  • lexluthorlexluthor Member Posts: 48
    I'm looking for CX-9 Touring. Here in NY, I'm told only 2010s left.

Looking at the AWD w/Moonroof, Touring Power Liftgage, 6CD Changer w/MID, Sirius and Wheel locks packages (Packages 1MC, 1LG, 1CD, SAT and WLK).

That seems to be pretty much the standard configuration here.

MSRP for that is $35,627, Invoice is $32,831.

I was quoted $31,313+TTL for Self Financing and $32,313+TTL if I take their 1.9% financing.

The dealer was confident that's a great price.

What do you all think?

Anyone know any dealers in NY/NJ/CT who might still have 2009s in stock? Sounds like I could save a bundle if I could find a 2009.
    check masdausa.com and click under inventory. then find the dealers you are willign to go to. if there are 2009s that are still in their system, it should be there. for example, i just tried 2009 AWD Touring and one white one came up at Palisades Mazda NJ with MSRP $36k with moonroof/bose and wheellocks. however, when i ask for 2009 FWD Touring, none pop up. good luck....
    jcpharm,

Thanks, that's very helpful. I found a couple of other possible acceptable choices and sent out for a quote request to get the process started.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Anyone know any dealers in NY/NJ/CT who might still have 2009s in stock? Sounds like I could save a bundle if I could find a 2009.
    ______

CT dealer here. Don't waste your time looking in CT for a 2009. They are all gone. You might luck out in NJ, but, I highly doubt it.
  • coog31coog31 Member Posts: 5
    Lex,

That's actually not a bad deal! I too, am located in the NY Metro area and is shopping for the same package minus the sirius. I got one quote for $32,750 to purchase and $33,750 to lease. I'm trying to get them to lower the $1,000 mark-up for the lease deal, which they're blaming Chase bank for (yeah.....right).

Im in the process of shopping it around to other Mazda dealers in the area, as well as my #2 &#3 choices. I love the CX-9, but it's all about the deal right now. Good luck!
    Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

If it helps, I got that quote from the Wayne, NJ dealership. There wasn't much negotiation to get that number.

I wound up getting an amazing deal on the Acura MDX, so I went with that instead though.
  • nick555nick555 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2009 CX-9 GT FWD (Crystal White Pearl Mica/ Black interior) on 10/31 from Long Beach Mazda (L.A. area). It was a very smooth and hasslefree buying experience. In all, it took only 1 1/2 hours to zoom-zoom. Initially negotiated by e-mail, but the Internet Dept. @ LB Mazda couldn't beat or match a locally advertised (newspaper) discount off a similar MSRP CX-9. I was referred to another person at the dealership. Finally negotiated a $8,500 discount off MSRP over the phone. I think I might have been able to knock off a couple of hundred more, but there were only a couple of similar color/interior combination '09 CX-9s left within a 100-mile radius of here.

Here are the details:

2009 CX-9 GT FWD
    Options: GT Assist Pkg., Moonroof/Bose, Towing Pkg., Roof Rack
    MSRP: $39,790 (incl. Destination)
    Disc.: $8,500
    Cost: $31,290
    Doc fee: $55
    Tax: $3,056.14 (9.75%)
    Title+Lic: $455.75
    OTD: $34,856.89

P.S. This forum was very helpful in convincing me to consider this vehicle for purchase. Fell for it on first sight. Considered the Honda Pilot too. Looking forward to enjoying it and posting on this forum. So, THANK YOU everybody. ZOOM-ZOOM
    Thanks. Wayne is about 25 miles from me. I'm working with my local dealership and one that's only 10 miles further. Im noticing these guys love to cry about getting the car for you. They make it seem like such the hardship & expense. Gimmie a break!!! So I'm willing to drive to the them and offer to take something off the lot.

I know you purchased your vehicle, but do you recall anything about a price increase due to leasing? Based on your quote for the CX-9, I seem to be getting a fair deal.
    I don't know about the price increasing for leasing, but they did tell me that the 1.9% financing and $1000 credit were NOT able to be combined.
    Then that makes a lot of sense. I got a money factor of .00079, which equates to the 1.9% APR. You know as much as I do that being offered an HONEST deal is probably more important than the numbers themselves!! Who wants to be ripped off & lied to?? I just talked to Wayne, they dont have anything in stock that I like. Thanks for the input Lex!

:)
  • ale896ale896 Member Posts: 1
    I had a VERY pleasant experience this weekend purchasing an 09 Stormy Blue Mica Touring CX9. I bought mine from Bommarito Mazda in Ellisville, MO. I was purchasing from out of state, and we were able to negotiate from a list of $35.9k down to $27.9k over the phone. OTD was $30.6k. It has Moonroof/Bose pkg and Dockable Entertainment with GBA pkg. The finance manager was able to get me a much better rate than my credit union was offering as well. The whole experience was very painless!

Conversely, I had a deal on the table at Gossett Mazda in Memphis, TN, and almost closed the deal, but something just kept bugging me about not getting the best deal on this vehicle. It was an 09 Brilliant Black Sport model with Moonroof/Bose and heated seats (cloth), and they wanted $28.9k for it, and would not go any lower. Even after I got the buyer's order to take to my bank, the finance guy tried to fax my bank another copy of the buyer's order with an extra $1k difference added to it! I am SOOOOOO glad I found Bommarito Mazda when I did! When I left Sat., they had 1 09 CX-9 left, I think. I cannot say if it is still there.
  • valdemarvaldemar Member Posts: 15
    Had a less than positive experience with Galpin Mazda in Valencia, CA today. Knowing that paying 4 - 4.5k below invoice is not that unusual for 09 models I called them up this morning and spoke with the sales manager telling them I wanted to pay 32k which was 5.5k below invoice for a loaded 09 Grand Touring AWD they seemingly had. He said that "I was close" and told me to come by which I did with the thought that the car can be had for 33k after some negotiations. Upon my arrival it turned out that the car was actually at another dealership and I had to wait another 45mins for it to be driven to Valencia, had I known that I'd just went there and saved myself a 20 mile trip one-way. To make the long story short, in the process I found out that it was a demo car which had 3k+ miles on it and refused paying more than 32k + TLD . They wouldn't go below 34k and I walked out. The car had a ~$600 lo-jack installed bringing the invoice to ~38k for which (the low-jack) I couldn't care less. They also told me that promotional 0% APR did not apply to discounted cars and offered 5.29% on exellent credit for 60 months. Was I balling too low and missed a good deal?
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    You should be able to get $7500 off retail pretty easily right now and that's without the $1000 owner loyalty deal from mazda. I'm not sure what the sticker is on the "loaded" vehicle you are referring too. If it's loaded, it could be as high as $42,000, so that would bring you down to 33.5-34.5, without too much effort. I would say forget it on the lowjack, so make them eat that. Given that it's a demo, I'd say your 33K number is more than reasonable. If they don't have many left in the area, you may not get there as they might decide to hold out, but my opinion is hold your ground on your price.
    i came across 3 demos during my shopping back in July for 09s and they gave VERY little discount for it being a demo. i would just go for a 2010 and enjoy the upgrades.
    The sticker was 40560 including GT assist package, moonroof/Bose, and tow hitch, so this may not be fully loaded but still on the higher end. You're right, there is not too many left and I'm sure it'll go for 34k sooner or later. However at that price it is getting dangerously close to the Acura MDX territory which is even in base configuration is a better vehicle in my opinion and also comes with scheduled maintenance, longer factory warranty and higher resale value than the CX-9. Or even the BMW X5 diesel for the same reasons plus available credits, and fuel economy.
    What are the upgrades btw in the 2010? I was told it is pretty much the front grill, the rear lights, and different option package configuration. I found the plastic wood trim better looking in the 09, and I also didn't like the split armrest/cover between front seats on the latest model over the one piece in the 09.
  • geojpgeojp Member Posts: 3
    2010 cx-9 awd gran touring with nav, moonroof/bose, & roof rack for $37,100 + tax, tiltle,etc. Sticker was about 39,500. I also got 1.9% fianacing for 5 years. It's better than what edmunds said. Plus they are picking the car up from a dealer 200 miles away.
  • geojpgeojp Member Posts: 3
    actually price paid was 36,600 + tax titls, etc...forgot about the $500 mazda owner loyalty rebate.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    2010 AWD Touring equipped with Moonroof/Bose, Power liftgate, backup camera. Dealer offering 32,521 which includes destination charge. (but not tax)
    Doc fee = 398.
    Title and registration = 399. (sales guy said NJ charges for registration for 4 years at a stretch.. ???? That can't be true ?)

Am I getting a good deal ?
    thanks