Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smicksmacksmicksmack Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2010 GT AWD today and used heavily edmund's and the tips here! Thanks everyone! I had around 8 dealers fighting by the end. I am in California.

The terms in case anyone wants a data point:
    GT AWD w/Nav, Bose/Moonroof and Power Hatch

MSRP: $39,115
    Edmund's Invoice: $35,963
    Edmund's TMV: $37,244

36 mo/12K lease:
    My cap cost: $36,010
    With $1K drive-off, monthly payments are $478 + tax to get to $523

It worked out right at invoice, I think i could have gotten another couple hundred but only one dealer had the color i wanted available today and I didn't want to wait. ;-)

Love the car and good luck out there!
  • joebar99joebar99 Member Posts: 17
    vancouver83,

I'm in NY. Paid cash. Cant break down the prices much more than I have, but as far as tax and tags, I knew my tax would be approx $2800 and DMV fees around $200.

Basically on these 2010s, I think about $1000 under overall invoice is a great deal.
  • steelersguysteelersguy Member Posts: 4
    2010 cx-9 touring with moonroof/bose and power lift gate

MSRP: 35,577
    INVOICE: 32,791
    TMV: 33,926

After a lot of negotiating, I finally got an offer for 32,200 +TTL, with 1.9% financing for 60 months and no money down. I think I'm going to jump on it, any thoughts?
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I bought a 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD this past weekend. No additional options whatsoever, so the MSRP was $34,795, dealer invoice at $32,248.

I traded in my 2007 Highlander, so that makes it a little more difficult to iron out what the actual price paid for the car was, but here's where I was coming from:

KBB trade on my car is about $15,500, and the "Real World Trade" forum here on Edmunds confirms that at about $15-$16k. So basically I was shooting for my car plus $16k as a good deal (thinking top trade for my car at $16k, and offering $32k for the CX-9), plus the 1.9% financing.

I ended up at my trade plus $15,500, which I was very pleased with.

I say all that because the prices and values on my contract, which I want to share, are a bit inflated:

The price of the car was $32,999, with a trade value for my car of $17,500 (thus the $15,500 difference). Since all I care about is that difference number, I didn't care that the price on the car is a bit high, since the trade is also "inflated."

Point being, seems pretty clear for those looking to buy that you should be able to get right around invoice, if not a bit lower, with the special financing, or around $1,000 less than invoice if not going with their financing offer.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Steelers,
    I bought the same exact configuration except that its FWD for $1000 below invoice. Had to pay cash to get that deal. For financing option 591 below INV seems good, but you probably want to wait for responses from people who've financed.
    Good luck. Its a gr8 car.
  • big_tabig_ta Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    After long long procrastination and deliberation I pulled the trigger on this purchase.

2010 CX-9 GT on Stormy Blue Mica
    Nav Package
    Bose Moonroof package
    Power Liftgate
    Towing Prep

MSRP : 37315
    Offer accepted : 33300 + Tax + Lic + DMV fee
    OTD : 36950

I haggled with lots of dealer, but since I was selective about the color, my options were limited. Most of the cars in Nor California are Silver or White or Black, the three colors I wanted to avoid.

I also lost two opportunities as I was still not sure about the best deal.

1. 2008 Mazda CX-9 GT with 300 Miles on Red Mica with Bose + Nav package in Feb 2009 for 29800 + Tax + Lic,

2. 2009 Mazda CX-9 GT with 400 Miles on Red with Bose + Nav package in Nov 2009 for 31800 + Tax + Lic,

Let me know how I did.

Also, the lady Kathi Green in Capitol Mazda is easy to deal with and very nice in person. But be aware of the GM, who is very unethical in his dealings.
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks.
    Sounds pretty decent with financing steelers guy.. Just dont let em mess around too much with your TTL. Make sure it's just your actual taxes plus the DMV fees... Figure it out ahead of time. They'll try to throw on documentation prep fees and crap which could easily add another $300 to the deal.

Then when you get to dealing in person, let em know you're not paying those fees and be prepared to walk.

If I were you, I'd take the 32,200 price, add 3k (or whatever number you figure) for TTL , and send some emails/make some calls to nearby dealers saying that you were offered this car for $35,100 OTD -- and can you beat this?
  • jxz024000jxz024000 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I got several quote around 34800 otd for 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD black with
    MOONROOF/BOSE and POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH. Should I accept the offer or push down price more? What's the bottom line price should I start? The msrp is $36050. This is in texas.

Thanks,
    Jay
    A good deal is whatever makes you happy. However, from what I have read here, folks are getting around 10% off of the MSRP. Also the power tailgate is a standard feature of the GT so really the only option is the moonroof/Bose. I think you can get a little lower but then again, I dont live in Texas and don't know the prices there.
    HI,

I often see people around here saying 10% off msrp is the good price. Is this 10% off msrp the OTD price or price before TTL?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Its 10 % off MSRP before TTL.
  • grace17grace17 Member Posts: 3
    I have been researching a lot to buy a mazda cx9 toring AWD, with moon roof/bose and plgate but dealers in this part of the country are few and adamant they r jus not ready to negotiate,I need the mazda real bad and they know it ..one guy is quoting 33900inclusive of TTL..is this a good deal cos i m almost ready to sign the dotted line anything else i need to ask or clarify before signing cos i have to drive 3hrs to reach this dealersship and the weather sucks..thanks in advance
    Hi Breld,

Which state did you buy the car? What's the TTL?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Pulled the trigger after 100 emails to 5 local dealerships . . .

Black 2010 CX-9 Touring AWD
    -Moonroof/Bose
    -Power lift Gate
    -All weather floor mats
    -Roof rails
    -Cargo net
    -Cargo mat

MSRP: 36,072
    INVOICE: 33,187
    TMV: 33,821

SALE PRICE: 31,947
    TTL: 2,533
    OTD: 35,480

This price included the 1.9% financing. This was definitely the best deal I could find in the Pittsburgh area. No other dealer would even go below invoice. Thanks to everyone on this forum, and best of luck in your car hunting!!!
  • sharkgbsharkgb Member Posts: 3
    Received this quote. Do you feel it's fair?
    Rear ent Roof Rack
    Power hatch Remote start
    Navi Front & rear splash guard
    Cargo mat& net Trailer hitch
    All weather mats Wheel locks
    Rear bumper step
    MSRP = $41,510
    INV= $37,927

QUOTE =$36,850(Cash)
  • jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    Moonroof or no moonroof? I assume not since you got RES. We got essentially the same number after alot of calling around but including an after market DVD. But you have a whole lot of other things like the remote start, hitch, etc... So, I think the number looks good.
    Through the Mazda SPlan, I can get the following.

MOONROOF/BOSE
    POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH
    WHEEL LOCKS $50
    Total MSRP: $37,500*

S Plan Selling Price = $34,997
    Tax in PA = $2,099.82
    New Tags/Title/Doc Fee = $198.50
    Total out the door S Plan Price = $37,295.32 and can use 1.9%

Seems OK but not great, any thoughts?
  • sharkgbsharkgb Member Posts: 3
    No moon roof. I thought it was fair, but do you ever really know?
    Thank you.
    Looks like a great deal -- enjoy!!
  • cscokidcscokid Member Posts: 2
    Have the following offer on the table from a dealer... seems to me there is room to move but I have gotten 2 other dealers giving me numbers in the same ballpark. Do I have room to squeeze some more??

2010 CX-9 GT AWD (Blk/blk)
    Moonroof/Bose
    Power hatch
    Remote Engine Start (added $150 installation on top of MSRP shown here)
    All weather mats
    iPod integration device ($250 installed)

MSRP: $38,358
    Sale: $35,500

One thing that shows up on their invoice is a $496 "marketing assessment" which they claim them must charge me for. I'm VERY skeptical about this one, charging a consumer money to recoup your marketing costs?? I'm in the Philly area BTW.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Congrats Steeler enjoy ur car, jus had a q for u i m looking @the same config like u but my dealer is quoting 32250without the roof rail , ,mats and cargo net and mats and no other dealer is even close to this quote all r in the 34,000 range to begin with....do u think its a decent deal.....and does the rear view camera come as a part of thr deal cos each dealer has diff version while building a car i had to pay extra for it. if u can pl reply .ty.this dealer i m dealing with is in desmoines iowa
    Does the price include financing? Dealers will offer either 1.9% financing, or 1000 cash back. If you can get 32250 with 1.9% financing, it sounds like a very good deal. The backup camera is standard in touring and grand touring trims as far as I'm aware. Good luck . . .
    If I'm not mistaken the backup camera is not part of "standard" equipment on the Touring. When you opt for the Bose/Moonroof package (code 1MC) the car comes equipped with the backup camera, which is part of the 1CD package (6 CD changer with multi function information display). I guess it boils down to the way Mazda combines some of their options/packages. When you opt for Bose you get the 6 CD changer, LCD display and backup camera.

Enjoy the car !
    Thanks a ton Steeler, its very reassuring ...I m going for 0% 36 months and the dealer said cos its still financing so no 1000 off ....can i ask for it still and if yes any suggestions ....I m a first time buyer so such probs thanks for ur help.
  • ajc99zajc99z Member Posts: 1
    Steelersguy - Which dealership in Pittsburgh were you able to get this deal? I'm in Cincinnati and no one wants to go below invoice. Did they try to tack on a doc fee?

I'm temped to offer invoice (I have S Plan through work) and refuse to pay the $250 doc fee, which is a complete joke.

Thanks...
    I agree. I also have SPlan through work but I feel like we should be able to do better.

My thinking is that I can always get the SPlan, what can you for me that is better.
    I am also in the same area. What is the out the door price? Also, keep in mind that there are a few dealers in NJ that might give some better deals. Basically, in PA, the only fee on top of the tax that you should pay should be ~$200 title, registration, documentation fee. The $496 is bogus in my opinion.
  • tearlachtearlach Member Posts: 9
    I have a North Carolina Dec-12 quote for 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with:

MOONROOF/BOSE
    OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH
    WHEEL LOCKS
    TOTAL MSRP = $37,500

INVOICE PRICE = $34,571 (edmunds)

TMV PRICE = $35, 234

OTD PRICE = $36,053 (3% sale tx in NC + $518) and can qualify for 36month 0% finance. Dealer has to ship to NC from VA (+/- $500).

Will try to get roof rack & rails included.

Will add Pioneer AVC-Z100 NAV (dual zone) and DVD head rests aftermarket for $2800.

Checking out AWD system issues and may pull the trigger shortly. Anyone know about any CX-9 AWD issues?
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..I am NJ also...I think we should all look in MD...there are some aggresive dealers there that even put their selling prices when you search their inventories...go to dealerrate.com and search..
    ..great anything below invoice is a getter...good luck you are getting abover 10% of msrp...congrats..
  • eastcoastpackeastcoastpack Member Posts: 6
    Hamilton (NJ) Mazda was offering approx 11% off msrp last month if you paid cash. I took the 1.9% (60 months) financing on a 32755 MSRP Touring AWD and paid 30010, or 8.4% off msrp. Nice dealership also.
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    I recieved the following 2 price quotes (via email) from local dealers for a 2010 GT AWD with moonroof/bose, auto lift tailgate, and nav system:

$34,863 +TTL
    $34,663 +TTL

Per Edmunds, invoice on this vehicle is $35,963. Does it seem odd that the first quotes I'm getting are below invoice? Frankly, I was surprised. Am I missing something? Do you think I should push them to go lower?

Thanks for the help!
    Sandra
  • jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    I think this is a very good deal. I think we were right around this when you include the aftermarket DVD.
    I was not aware that paying cash really made a difference...anyone has any input on this?...is it by dealers choice?...I guess!!!...where in Hamilton NJ..I mean what dealer...thanks
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    of course it does...how do you think these guys make money? off the financing.
    ..of course they do make money off the financing,,are you kidding?.....at the end thay always get their money sooner or later...now if you tell me that the advantage is that they get their money faster I agree,,,,but the dealers make money out of every single item in the store,,how do you think they stay in business?.....if I am wrong I will accept it...but plaese someone opine on this....
    not sure you got my point - this is not some big surprise that dealers make more money off financing than if you paid cash. that is why every big ticket item is often sold with the option to finance (eg. homes, cars, boats, electronics, furniture, etc.). that and extended warranties. you think they do it just to make it "more affordable" to the average consumer? i am not saying they don't make ANYTHING off the car itself even if you paid cash. but their profit margin is larger because of financing, extended warranties, etc. Even when they are offering you 0% financing, their accountants have already worked out that they will make more off of it in the end whether it be the extra charges/interest they can make when someone misses a payment or built-in markup on the price to account for the financing risk/time value of money. I am not saying EVERY dealer will give you a better deal if you pay cash, but if you comparison shop, on average, you will get a better deal paying cash than financing.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    of course it does...how do you think these guys make money? off the financing.

Under normal circumstances, yes. With a subvented rate by Chase, no. Mazda dealers are not getting paid on the 0%, 1.9% or 4.9%.
    Even when they are offering you 0% financing, their accountants have already worked out that they will make more off of it in the end whether it be the extra charges/interest they can make when someone misses a payment or built-in markup on the price to account for the financing risk/time value of money

That might be true for companies like Crysler Financial, American Honda Finance or Ford Motor Credit, but, Mazda uses Chase. Therefore, any penelties that are collected due to lack of payment go directly to Chase themselves.

The advantage for Mazda Motor Company using Chase is their cost to buy down a rate to 0% is far less then when they were Mazda American Credit. Most auto manufacturers' finance divisions are considered sub-prime, so they borrow money at a much higher rate and it costs them more money to buy it down to the rate specials you see like 1.9%.
    Thanks aviboy for pointing out the differences with conventional wisdom. i am still confused however when i was shopping for a 2009 CX9 back in the summer, the incentives went like this: $4k manufacturer-to-dealer incentive OR $1500 + special financing thru Chase. If there is no cost to Mazda, why did they reduce the incentive when using special financing?
    i am still confused however when i was shopping for a 2009 CX9 back in the summer, the incentives went like this: $4k manufacturer-to-dealer incentive OR $1500 + special financing thru Chase. If there is no cost to Mazda, why did they reduce the incentive when using special financing?

In Mazda's eyes, the money is equal. But, some people would rather have less money to owe on a car and take a conventional rate then take the special rate plus $1,500. It also helped dealers advertise a low buy price to drive traffic.

There are many reasons why manufacturers have a couple incentives available, like special financing or a cash incentive. But, when the day is done, the money averages out with Mazda and the bottom line is the same regardless of what people choose to use.
    .so after all this good explanation the bottom line is that yes one can save some more money off the selling price of the CX9 when paying cash, but itall dependes on the dealer and the particular situation at the moment correct?....wrong to assune then that the "cash" paying option that we have as consumers it will be a bargaining point ALL the time and at EVERY dealer....when my time comes up I hope I hit the right dealer since I am planning to pay cask for the CX(...thank you all...very interesting information, as always the best defense that we have as consumers is being as well informed as we can..
  • gdealergdealer Member Posts: 1
    Paying Cash vs. Financing used to be a good way to bargain with dealers, but not really anymore. As a dealership accountant, I know that when you get the low apr rates they advertise on TV like 1.9% now available on CX-9 the dealer makes $150 dollars for doing it, and then they turn around and have to pay $50 to Chase for underwriting the loan. Would they rather have cash? I think the answer is yes, but in today's market I think many dealers are offering great prices on vehicles regardless of cash vs. financing. The only thing that might make the cash price go down is the extra dealer cash one of them would offer in lieu of the 1.9% rate. Dealers only have so much mark-up in a vehicle, and that mark-up will be the same no matter which dealer you buy from. But on a 1.9% vs $1500 in extra factory incentive money, I am willing to bet that when you are financing a $30,000 plus vehicle that the 1.9% is a better deal if you calculate interest paid over the life of the loan. I hope his post helps clear up any confusion that people may have about the cash price vs. finance price you would pay for a car.
    Thank you very much..thi is what I call from "the horses mouth" since you are an accountant. That is exactly what I thought after buying cars over 30 years I have noticed that when one offers cash it does not raise an eyebrow like it used to be then...when people bought cars instead of leasing....your explanation i found it simple thus understandable by most of us. IT is like I thought if there appears to be a special occasion in which the dealer may benefit from a cash transaction then maybe and only then one can expect a couple of hundred dollars cheaper...and is a big maybe..thanks again
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    Thanks jeremiastan!

I'll see where I end up. Hoping I can pitch them against eachother to drive them a bit lower!

Oh, BTW, this is in the SF Bay Area
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some members want to pick your brain about the AWD if you get a chance:

tearlach, "4WD & AWD systems explained" #1380, 14 Dec 2009 10:06 am

thanks!

Steve, visiting host
  • stevenlgts1stevenlgts1 Member Posts: 2
    We live in the Atlanta area and can't find the vehicle we are wanting. The dealer said they could get it from a dealer in OK. We are thinking of ordering it but am not sure what to do. The dealer said $1500 down. I asked if we would get the current interest rate deals and they said no, it would be the rates at the time of purchase. Our concern is the rates may change. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to proceed?

The vehicle we are looking for is:
    2010 GT AWD (Liquid Silver)
    Navigation/Rear Entertainment
    Power Hatch
    Remote Start
    Roof Rails
    Ipod Integration

Thanks.
    ..wouldn't be cheaper to try and get a car outside of the state yourself?...like in MD (good dealers and offers there) or anywhere along the East coast, where you can go and pick up the car yourself?....I am in NJ and if I get a good or better deal in MD I would travel the 3 or 4 hours....good luck
  • eastcoastpackeastcoastpack Member Posts: 6
    I probably "mis-typed" when I stated that if I paid cash the price was $1000 less. To be correct I should have stated that if I paid cash or use traditional/non-promotional financing the price was 1000 less.

I basically had 3 options when buying the CX-9, MSRP 32,755;

1. Actually pay cash, price 29010 + Tax, tags etc...
    2. Traditional Financing. I could have done a 60 month loan thru my credit union @ 4.9% and paid 29010 + TTR
    or
    3. Special 60 month financing @1.9%, price 30010 + TTR

Since I have 2 kids in college, paying cash was out of the question.
    Option 2, including 7500 down resulted in total cost with interest+TTR of 34560 (monthly pmt of 451)
    Option 3, including 7500 down resulted in total cost with interest + TTR of 33780
    (monthly pmt of 438)

Could I have negotiated a lower price and still got the 1.9? I tried, but thought it was a good deal. Maple Shade (NJ) Mazda would not match....so I figured is was a fairly good deal.