Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    that is very interesting....you mean that the dealer was willing to go down an additional $1k if you brought in cash or another loan from another bank , but not if you took the 1.9%,which I assume was offered by MAZDA?...was the $1k also offered by Mazda?..if so then I understand. It appears that the dealer selling price was a $1k higher if using Mazda 1.9%.....I wonder why, since his selling price should or could be independent f any Mazda offer..which in this case was only 1.9%..unless there is a "dealer partcipation" in this offer...at any rate enjoy your new CX9 in the best of health
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    They are both MAZDA incentives. Either $1000 cash back or 1.9% financing. Basically the dealer must have been offering one or the other.
  • enreveenreve Member Posts: 3
    We just picked up a Grand Touring with Nav, Moonroof Bose, roof rails, all weather mats package for $ 36400 this morning. Do you think this is a good deal? We love the vehicle so far--- just a few hours after delivery.

What are people's thoughts on this price?
    We got the CX9 GT with Nav, Moonroof Bose, roof rails and all weather mats for $36400 and the 1.9% APR for 60 months. What are your experiences....is this a good price?
    What was the sticker or MSRP?...and what state?....good luck and enjoy it with the best of health
    Thanks for the wishes. MSRP/Sticker Price 39490. We got it in Connecticut and the 1.9% APR financing.
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I got a quote for a GT AWD with moon roof/ Bose, nav, auto lift tailgate, and roof rails for $34860 + Tax and DMV. I'm in SF Bay Area. What do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger?

Thanks!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Thanks for the wishes. MSRP/Sticker Price 39490. We got it in Connecticut and the 1.9% APR financing.

That is a good deal. That equates to just below invoice.

I'm pretty surprised that you got below invoice here in CT. The CX-9 inventory is pretty limited. I know for a fact you did not buy that at my store at that price.

Congrats on your new CX-9!
  • zoomzoom30zoomzoom30 Member Posts: 1
    Let me know your thoughts about this deal:

MSRP- 36,300
    Invoice 33490

I paid 32099 (31500 plus 599 destination charge)

OTD- 34500

This one had liftgate, moonroof, bose, remote start (basically everything but Nav). I also got them to toss in two rails on the roof rack. I thought it was pretty good deal because it was almost 1400 below invoice (yes, i saw the invoice).

I worked woth Guy Recchia at Ferman Mazda in Brandon, Florida. Good guy. Relatively easy negotiation done via email after I had driven the car.

I'd like to know others thoughts. Thanks.
  • yezaaryezaar Member Posts: 3
    Looks like a pretty good deal. Can u share the name of the dealership?
  • jonathanl65jonathanl65 Member Posts: 5
    I see that for the CX9 GT when you get the Moonroof/Bose option package it requires you to have other options too.

Does this mean you need to check off the other options when using Edmunds to work out the correct pricing? Or are the other options included in the option package.

For instance:
    1MC Moonroof and Bose/Sirius Audio Package
    - REQUIRES (1CD and LG2) or (NV3 and LG2). INCLUDES 1CD
    Must I then select the 1CD and LG2 if the car comes with those to get the correct price?

Writing this it seems obvious the answer is yes, but then why doesnt Edmunds force you to do this when you are navigating the pricing tool?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    I'm not an Edmunds spokesperson but here's my $0.02...

1MC "requires" 1CD and LG2, but ALREADY " includes" 1CD in its price.

That's why in Edmunds when you're pricing a Touring or Grand Touring, although it allows you to click 1CD after selecting 1MC, in reality its not going to make any difference because for 1CD, under MSRP and INVOICE you see "n/a"

LG2 on the other hand is "required" but not included in the price of 1MC so you have to check it off explicitly.

Edmunds can do a better job of defaulting certain checkboxes based on which options are selected...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and sorry if I added to any confusion
    Was it with Mazda financing?
  • jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    Really good deal. We were at 36300 including an aftermarket DVD, and I thought that that was great because no one anywhere would come within a hundred bucks of it here in DC/VA.
    FYI, ours was the "sales price" on the lease. MSRP was about 40K, if you include the DVD (aftermarket).
    Hi All,

I was offered a CX-9 Touring AWD with moonroof/bose & power liftgate for 32,500 with 0% APR for 36 months.

MSRP - $35577
    Invoice- $32,791

Its in SF-Bay area. How is the deal?
  • klash2klash2 Member Posts: 2
    Trim included Nav. and rear entertainment center. Price was $36,500 + fees--included the 1.9% at 60mo financing.

Love the car! Took several test drives on the 2009 MDX, but the cx-9 was superior in every way. More room in the third row, better value (thousands cheaper with better financing option), nicer interior, better electronics (includes the blind-spot warning) and more of a car-like drive.
  • mz2009mz2009 Member Posts: 10
    pretty good. i am also considering cx-9 touring awd, but i only need the roof rack.
    i am in chicago area.
  • webtraderwebtrader Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone share some dealers in Maryland who have been aggressive in pricing and willing to negotiate over email?
  • stevenlgts1stevenlgts1 Member Posts: 2
    We are trying to locate a GT AWD in the Atlanta area and there is no local availability. The dealer told us today that there are two available that match what we are looking for plus some additional options on the ship. He felt he could have one of them delivered to the dealership so we wouldn't have to have someone drive up to VA to get one. He instantly offered invoice on the vehicle (he also said we could also likely have the one of the vehicles customized to the options we want since it isn't listed as being completed yet). He printed a document that listed the VIN number, the options and the invoice price. The invoice was $37,700. Can anyone advise if this a good deal for basically a full-loaded GT AWD CX9. This was also with the 1.9 financing offer. He said if we customized the one that is not yet completed, he would offer invoice on that also.

Nav
    Moonroof & Deflector
    Roof Rails
    Remote Start
    Splash Guards
    Trailer Hitch/Receiver
    Cargo Mat, All Weather Floor Mats
    Wheel Locks

Thanks.
  • broncoboazbroncoboaz Member Posts: 3
    Hi gang! Thanks for all of your posts! We just bought a new 2010 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring on Saturday, Dec. 26.
    Options:
    Navigation
    Bose/Moonroof
    Power Liftgate
    Towing Prep
    Roof Rails

MSRP: $38,065
    Paid: $32,900 plus dealer fee of $599 and tax and tag/title.

I bought it at Ferman Mazda in Brandon, FL. I believe I got the best deal that I could get on this. Thank you all for all of your help!
    This is very good price. What's the estimated invoice price?
  • broncoboazbroncoboaz Member Posts: 3
    Factory invoice (including dest. fee) is $35,164.
    Does anyone remember when the CX9 2010 became available in 2009?...I am trying to caliculate or guess whe the 2011 model will become available in 2010...since I will not be ready until the fall of 2010...thanks a bunch
    The 2010 CX-9 arrived in mid October. We don't expcet to see a 2011 until October 2010.
    I was offered 2,9700 plus TTL. How about this price? Any room for further negotiation?
    Thanks a lot.
    Btw, Chicago area.
    Made the deal yesterday on 2010 GT AWD. Came in at $34,350 plus tax and license. Options included moonroof/Bose, auto tailgate and Navi. Dealer was Capitol Mazda in San Jose. MSRP was $39,115.

I think I got a great deal, however, I'm not that wowed by dealership. The sales person told me the car had a 6-CD changer. I've just fingured out that with the Navi you only get 1-CD. I do take the blame for not fully understanding the options. However, just 1 hour ago I was on the phone with the salesperson and he was admamantly trying to help me get more than 1 CD into the stereo. They also quoted me a 25% discount on roof rails, and when I went in today to get them installed they over quoted me on the price.

Other than that, very happy and love the car!
  • webtraderwebtrader Member Posts: 2
    Congrats on your new car! Was the $34,350 cash or with Mazda's special financing rate?
  • rob1325rob1325 Member Posts: 3
    Did this include taxes and reg/dealer fees?
  • khuizhangkhuizhang Member Posts: 1
    made a deal with a dealership in Portland, Oregon area. Silver/Black 2009 CX-9 GT AWD with Bose/Moonroof package. MSRP: 37915 OTD: 30103. I love the car and thank you for all the information shared by you guys.
    I had my own financing (3.99%) they basically matched it at 3.80% for 60 months. They didn't offer the 1.9% due to the price I got on the car. Difference over the live of the loan between 1.99% and 3.80 is only $1061 (less than $20 per month).
  • gpalm44gpalm44 Member Posts: 7
    Gotta love no sales tax in Oregon!! Wish I still lived there for that reason, makes for a fantastic OTD price!!
  • zaffozaffo Member Posts: 6
    12/31
    Found a GT for my mother. They took $31,000 for it, the only add on was $700 for lojack. Whatever. Buy from a LA dealer who adds this crap or a local dealer who has to charge more because of lower volume. GT - rear entertainment / Bose.

Mazda must have serious cash going to the dealer to move these. The invoice was $34,400 + 700 for lojack. $35,100 Invoice selling for $31,700. I have read they have $4,500 coming back to them from Mazda, but that means their cost is still about $30,300. $1,400 profit? Maybe. They were selling alot of cars yesterday, so they must have lots of volume incentives.

This was at Galpin, and I asked for a bottom line price. I felt that they were stand up about the deal. They originally hit me with a price of $33,200, but took off $1,500 (which was the amount of the Mazda rebate) on the first trip back to the sales manager when I told him I really wanted the car for $30,500. If I wanted to fight I would have countered with $31,000 which would have included $500 for the lojack unit, but I wanted to get out of there and I was already $2,900 under invoice.

The rest of this weekend I would be offering $8 - 9,000 under sticker if they have the car you want, and only inch of $100 at a time from there.
  • hellotheworldhellotheworld Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading this forum for a short while, and thanks for the information provided.

After looking through Travers, Flex, and Pilot and Highlander which were just for reference purpose, and decided to go with CX-9. I started checking the price in the last week of 2009 through emails. The base model is preferred (do not want leather seats due to hot summer here) and found that most of the base model equipped with power seats. Below is the lowest price so far:

OTD:::: $28,185
    MSRP: $29,875 (Sport w/power seats, including $750 Destination Charge)
    Invoice: $27,679
    TMV:::: $28,325
    Tax:::::: 6.25%
    TTL:::::: ~$250

I did not see a lot of price information for base model here, so just want to check if this price is ok or I could go lower. Any advise is appreciated.

Additional questions to seek your advise:
    I was told by one of the dealer that they would throw in $299 perma seal (lifetime warranty), $299 window tint, and $99 wheel locks for free (total valued at $697). I questioned why he would charge $99 for $50 MSRP wheel locks and did not get response. I also questioned that isn't all CX-9 having the tint window as standard feature? And the response was their vehicles do not have tint. How is that possible, does Mazda make special cars for different dealers? :confuse: In addition they would also throw in lifetime oil changes valued $199 for free. Of course, the OTD from this dealer was $610 higher at $28,795. (I have no idea what was perma seal, and I do not think I would use their oil change since I live across the town.) How does this sound to you guys?
  • michael83michael83 Member Posts: 3
    Mazda in Austin tx are selling CX-9 sport for $3500 off of MSRP (+500 for owner loyalty). I bought one. It is nice.
    If you are looking at the 2010s, I would start by taking $1,000 off the Invoice price - in your case offer $27,000 and insist on the low rate financing. I would not move on that number on the first trip to the dealer - walk out saying "if you just can't do it, I'll look for a cheaper car." Walk away. This will get you a call back. When they call you back in, start by asking for the invoice and asking them how close they can get to that number. Tell them it is not good enought at least twice and get up to leave. There are plenty of these sitting around and there are even 2009s around in cloth if you are really looking for a deal - like $5,000 under invoice.

The perma seal, locks and tint are already on the car. The line about tint is total BS. Don't fall for it.

Stick to the $27,000 number and never, never, never agree to a number without seeing the invoice and never pay more than that number this early in 2010.

Make them take this one as a unit sale, not as a profit sale. I was in on 12/31 and did it that way. GT with sticker of $38.1 for $31.7.

Go get em.
  • seattlejen206seattlejen206 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone! I am enjoying reading this forum but a bit lost. I am looking to buy a CX-9 GT AWD with navigation, moonroof/bose package, power hatch, roof rack, and trailer hitch and have been talking to a dealership in seattle. They emailed me about a car that has a MSRP of $ 39,915 and are offering it to me for $37,103. This would include the mazda financing special of 0% for 60 months ..OR.. 3.9% for 72 months. I've bought a new car once before but it wasn't as big of a purchase as this. My boyfriend is around to support me in the dealings but I don't think he's as aggressive as I am! :) Anyway I think this price seems a bit high - thoughts???? :confuse: Thanks for any help you can provide!
    That looks pretty good to me. As long as they don't hit you with a price change or take the financing off the table, this is a fair deal for both of you.

It is a lot of money - at least $600 a month. Lots of car too.
    Make them take this one as a unit sale, not as a profit sale. I was in on 12/31 and did it that way. GT with sticker of $38.1 for $31.7.

oooooooo.....you like to play hard ball. I love dealing with people like you. ;)

Pricing is all relative to available units. Here is the North East, 2010 CX-9 Sport's are extremely limited. I have been sold out for 2 months, and I only have 5 CX-9's in inventory total. Ouch.

If you happen to live in an area where you have the leverage to make a hard "take it or I'm leaving" attitude, then more power to you. But, if the dealers in a particular area are very low on inventory, that type of negotiation has a tendency to backfire. Be very careful on the advise to give. Your situation in your area may not be that of someone elses.
    Thanks you zaffo for the advise. When you say for example $27,000, did you mean selling price before TTL or OTD price? I think it is difficult to get $27,000 OTD for 2010 CX-9 Sport.
    michael83, could you please let me know which dealer offered this price in Austin? If not convenient, can you please pm me. Thank you!
    For a similar car but aftermarket DVD instead of a trailer hitch, we were offered 36.7 and change. This was with no special financing. I might have been able to do a little better but after alot of calling around there was minimal difference, certainly not enough to justify driving very far (this was in Northern VA).
    I never deal in OTD pricing, only the price of the car. TTL are too variable and you pay what you pay where you live. I only focus on the price of the car. $1,000 off of invoice is where I start and walk out at least once - IF they have the car you want. On mazda USA you can search inventory. If you are lucky, there are multiple dealers within 2 - 3 hours drive that have the car you want. Make sure you call them and tell them the price you can pay and the deal you want.

You are looking at a 2010, so you should not be in a hurry to sell.
    The Mazda USA website clearly shows availability, so buyers should know exactly how common or scarce cars are before they make offers.

None the less:
    Buyers affraid to make a low ball offer deserve to get hosed. This is a buyer's market, and the guy or girl willing to bet that they won't have trouble paying for a new car for the next few years - unlike probably 75% of the people in this country - should be out there making minimal profit offers to dealers. This is a win-win situation. Face it, dealers are going to be scraping by just hoping to keep the doors open just like the rest of us. No one is comfortable today.

Selling a car never put a dealer out of business.

Hard nosed buyer or no buyer? Which is better?

Tough times all around.
    Go Zaffo..lol.....I can see and understand your logic, but when you say $1k below invoice it puts all my knowledge in the toilet. Don't you think that $1k under invoice is probably less than what a dealer pay for the car?....I am aware that the dealer pays interest onhis or her inventory on the daily basis and that is better to sell low than not to sell at all...but $1k below invoice?.....that in my opinion is a stretch and if we follow your logic we will do a lot of "walk outs" of the dealer stores and maybe...just maybe....we will find someone selling at the absolut minimum...but with all due respect I doubt #1k below their invoice.
    To each its own, if it works for you good..and yes the best price will be on car at the dealers lot than a locate.
    I hope to do my homework so when I see a good deal I don't walk away thinking that there are better deals to be had..and then fail misserably winding up with a mediocre deal....
    I don't always operate this way, but when the dealers have big money coming back to them from the manufacturer and the public is able to figure this out (e.g. dealers selling cars below invoice) then I get it on and go for a piece. No askey - no get. As simple as that.

I bought 2 Accords (2000 and 2006) by going in with a TMV number and not budging. In both cases the dealers were flustered, but took the deal. I was OK with it, but this was Honda who has no trouble selling cars. I would never be able to low ball a Honda dealer and get a good deal without a lot of time and bother.

The CX-9 is more of a luxury car (big, nice and large engine, pretty mediocre MPG) and these things are not moving like they used to. Relatively speaking, this is a car you should try and get a heck of a deal on. This is not a 3, 5, 6 or Tribute; all of which are more conservative choices. Same thing is true at Honda, where I live there are heaps of Pilots, Ridgelines & Odyssey's.

Even low ballers end up buying cars.
    ...so basically you have to agree that your theory is purely based on inventories and then... if your selected color and options are in THAT inventory and then...hope that YOUR selction is not a favorite of the public and THEN hope that the particular dealer is not a "hard head"....I am sorry but those are too many "thens" for me,which translates in time spent searching for the right dealer, agree?....don't you think that a better aproach should be being well informed as you are and then TRY to negotiate the best deal under the right circunstances?...isn't your (our) time and effort come with a price?...

good luck and thanks for the tips..
    The Mazda USA website clearly shows availability, so buyers should know exactly how common or scarce cars are before they make offers.

You are absolutely correct. But, you are assuming everyone does that. I can tell you, the people who actually search inventory are far out numbered by those who do not.

I like hard nose buyers, because they are BUYERS. If someone is prepared to make me an offer, they better be ready to take it.

A good sales person, and properly run dealership will do all thats possible to not only sell the vehicle, but, also make as much as possible. A smart consumer will get the car for a little as possible and buy only the car they want. The end result is usually a deal made somewhere in the middle. The buyer comes up from his/her price and the dealer comes down from their asking price.

At the end of the day, it's a win-win for everyone.
  • politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    I am a newbie and will be making my first new car purchase of a 2010 AWD Grand Touring CX-9 at some point later this year. I am located in the Washington DC Metro area. In terms of options on the GT, I am looking for Rear Entertainment system, Navi, and Liftgate. Could you all advise me of the target price I should be aiming for during online negotiations (email/phone)? Also, is there a particular month that I should wait for to get the best deal on this 2010 vehilcle? (I was thinking late October or November after the 2011s are out). Please advise. Thanks!
    I like your no-nonsense approach to the buying/selling business, you are probably inm a delership somewhere in the country but not in NJ (I should be lucky...lol).
    Your statement, in my opinion, is 100% correct and , with all due respect, I believe that Zaffo is a little off the page since his attitude will antagonize any salesperson or manger because the projected image is my way or the highway and in my years of buying cars I have seen situations in which the dealer will allow one to walk just on principle alone...yes I do believe that there is honor among thieves (meaning buyers and sellers...)...lol...