Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 69sting69sting Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up our Pearl White GT CX-9, Moonroof/bose=Auto lift gate=Remote start. Awesome experience. Great salesperson (Tracy). Great price with 0.9 financing for 60months. Only problem is that they had to unplug our heated seats because of a known problem with the heaters staying on and not only staying hot, but draining the battery? Anyone have any additional info on this? Kinda sux to buy a brand new car with such an obvious defect (seeing how it is -3 today). Also...What about these aftermarket performance chips that promise more Horsepower and MPG? Anyone had any luck with one of these? What a beautiful car for the price!
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Congartulations on the new car...yes it does happen sometimes...did you find out before taking delivery?...if yes, I don't know if I would have continue with the sale....who was the sales person in Ramsey and prices you got...MSRP? vs actual price paid (no TTL Tax etc)...thanks for the info...and why would you want to full around with "mother nature" by adding a "chip" to a new car?..you may be introducing unforseeable problems which I am sure you are not prepare to face...leave good enough alone...you will be sorry otherwise...remember how it bothers you to have a seat heating problem, which may be a simple relay or fuse,now imaging having "other" problems and Mazda not supporting your warranty..just my 2 cents.
    Enjoy the car with the best of health....
    ?...
  • 69sting69sting Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. We actually paid below invoice, as we were quoted good rates within our 5 state area and Ramsey matched the lowest to win our business. We were willing to drive to save some cash, but didn't have too. Seems the inventory is up and it just so happened that what we were looking for was on their lot.
    They are ordering a new "heater module"? for us but said it is something Mazda is very aware of and is looking into. Not a formal "recall" as of yet, but we alledgedly are not the first. They were very upfront and honest about this before we signed and assured us it would be taken care of. The service dept at Ramsey in Des Moines is well known here locally and is partly the reason this was not a deal breaker for me.
    As for the chip, I would not put something like that in unless I could get some good feedback about the MPG increase. I have no need for the xtra HP these chip manufacturers promise, but would love to increase my MPG by 20-30%.
    I must say, this forum was quite informative and aided me in my search for a new car. We looked and drove all the competition....Lexus, Cadillac, Ford, Toyota, Infinity, Chevy. For the price range, this was a no brainer. What a beauty. My wife loves it.
    And, WOW this thing gets thru the snow great!
    Zoom-Zoom
  • gpalm44gpalm44 Member Posts: 7
    check out this forum for more info on the seat heaters draining the battery:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123763387
    ..lol...this is funny...I thought that you bought from Ramsey in NJ....and not in IA...good luck
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I like your no-nonsense approach to the buying/selling business, you are probably inm a dealership somewhere in the country but not in NJ (I should be lucky...lol).

My dealership in in south western CT. I'm probably not too far from you!

Your statement, in my opinion, is 100% correct and , with all due respect, I believe that Zaffo is a little off the page since his attitude will antagonize any salesperson or manger because the projected image is my way or the highway and in my years of buying cars I have seen situations in which the dealer will allow one to walk just on principle alone...yes I do believe that there is honor among thieves (meaning buyers and sellers...)...lol...

I do let the "take it or leave it" people take a walk if the deal does not make sense for me. Actually, I do it a lot, especially on these CX-9's because there are hardly any available in the North East! I want to make a certain profit because I can. Am I asking MSRP? No, of course not. I do not operate like that. I do save the customer money, but, I do want to make money as well. If someone makes me a low ball offer of $1,000 under invoice, I just tell them we have nothing to talk about, but, I also say that I will work with them and give them a deal, but their price will be more. If they choose to walk at that point, I am fine with that because I will sell that CX-9 to someone relitively soon and make a good profit. Plus, Mazda is not paying dealers any behind the scenes incentives to sell the CX-9's.

If someone want to low ball me on a Mazda3, I will most likley consider it. I have too many on my lot they are a dime a dozen.

Right now, in the North East,the CX-7 and CX-9 are the hottest Mazda products. They are selling very very well. They are by far out selling the national average. Inventory is practically non existent.
    Only problem is that they had to unplug our heated seats because of a known problem with the heaters staying on and not only staying hot, but draining the battery? Anyone have any additional info on this?

I have a customer's car that I had towed in today for that reason. The battery was dead twice. I do not have any details on what the problem is, but, there might have been a batch of defective seat warmers. But, don't quote me on that yet. As soon as I get some answers, I will let you know.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    me too...who knew there was a Ramsey Mazda in IA?!?!
  • politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the market for a 2010 AWD Grand Touring CX-9 later this year. I am located in the Washington DC Metro area. What is a good deal for a 2010 AWD GT CX-9 with Rear Entertainment system, Navi, and Liftgate? When's the best time to look for and buy one of these? Thanks
    Thanks for the reply...you appear to be in the business of selling cars..as an honest businessman...(sales , management or owner).
    I am still undecided about the CX9 (my wife is the deciding factor) but we are leaning towards it. I will be buying by October,does that mean that I will be looking at the 2011 model?.....could you share (by private email) your delaership as to where and your name?...I will travel a reasonable distance for a fair deal...thanks for your help.
    Ralph L.
    Thanks for the reply...you appear to be in the business of selling cars..as an honest businessman...(sales , management or owner).
    I am still undecided about the CX9 (my wife is the deciding factor) but we are leaning towards it. I will be buying by October,does that mean that I will be looking at the 2011 model?.....could you share (by private email) your delaership as to where and your name?...I will travel a reasonable distance for a fair deal...thanks for your help.
    Ralph L.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    I got my 2010 CX9 in last week of November. Have used the seat heaters a couple of times and not had the battery problem. Called my dealership yesterday to clarify if they had "disconnected" the seat heater without my knowledge before delivering it to me. They said they did no such thing and added that the problem of the seat heaters started on the batch of CX9's that Mazda delivered in December.

They also said that Mazda is holding onto inventory at Port Newark and nothing is being released to dealers, so pretty much no one in NJ has any stock of 2010 CX9's.

I don't know how much of this is the truth and how much is educated guesswork or pure baloney on the part of my dealer, but just wanted to put it out on the forum
    They said they did no such thing and added that the problem of the seat heaters started on the batch of CX9's that Mazda delivered in December.

Correct!

They also said that Mazda is holding onto inventory at Port Newark and nothing is being released to dealers, so pretty much no one in NJ has any stock of 2010 CX9's.

2 for 2

I don't know how much of this is the truth and how much is educated guesswork or pure baloney on the part of my dealer, but just wanted to put it out on the forum

What your dealer told you is pretty much what I know as well. They seem to be right.
    svofan2-

I just sent you a message to your carspace page.
  • kokos7kokos7 Member Posts: 32
    I can confirm all the above for the seat heater issue as well. I have bought a new CX-9 and haven't received it yet because they are not releasing them from the Mazda facility at the Port.
    There is word that Mazda will do something to make this right for the buyers (as they should!), on top of fixing the heater issue of course.
    aviboy97 - Thanks for confirming the feedback from my dealership.

Having just a certain batch of vehicles impacted probably does not indicate a design flaw, rather a quality control issue, which Mazda should address.

Just my 2 cents...
    Start at $1K below Edmunds Invoice and move upwards very gradually based on other factors like demand for the type of vehicle you are looking for, whether the dealer has it on the lot etc. Or from MSRP point of view, aim for 9 - 10 % below MSRP. Be prepared to walk away from a deal.

9 times out of 10, the dealer will call you back to counter offer (as long as the negotiations were conducted in a professional and courteous manner). Also be ready to work with any dealer in a 50 - 75 mile radius.

Always look to close a deal in the last couple of business days of the month, when typically dealerships are aiming to meet or surpass sales targets. If the end of the month is also a quarter end, even better.
  • politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    Online search of inventory says there are 7 CX-9s in a 50 mile radius that fit the criteria (options, color) that I am looking for. I assume this will diminish my leverage, right? Will this number increase if I wait for later in the year?
    I believe once you get past Labor Day, you have more leverage/bargaining power as dealerships will want to start moving current year inventory aggressively to accomodate next year's model.
    Having just a certain batch of vehicles impacted probably does not indicate a design flaw, rather a quality control issue, which Mazda should address.

Just my 2 cents...

It's not a quality control issue, but, rather a supplier issue from what I can gather. It is either the harness relay or heating element its self. Mazda is working hard on a fix, it should be ready soon.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    ...they can start the fix by dropping the supplier and going back to the 07-09 model year supplier if they are different ones.
    aviboy, just posted somethimg in car whatever....I am not making any progress that way please do email me at my emailaddress...thank you
  • edgar_in_vegasedgar_in_vegas Member Posts: 10
    I live in Las Vegas, NV. On 1/12/2010 I leased the following:

2010 MAZDA CX-9 GRAND TOURING AWD with a MSRP of $39,915 (Options include: REAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH and NAVIGATION SYSTEM).

My Lease Terms:
    36 Months;
    15,000 miles/Year;
    $598/Month; and…
    $0 (no money) at signing!

Sooooo... How did I do??? I can take it! THANKS!
    svo-

your email address is set as "private". I can't see it!
    ..I changed it now it is visible...did you get my message through carspace that sent you?..
    svo-

"you've got mail"
  • louise59louise59 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my cx-9 in late September. Used the heated seats many times. On Christmas Eve, I got into it and it was dead. I got it towed to the Mazda dealer in PA. First I was told it was my fault. When I went to pick up the car the battery was dead it the dealership parking lot! Not my fault. The service department called Mazda and found out about the problems with the seats. They unplugged them. The said they will contact me when the problem can be resolved. I wish they would have offered me a seat cover or pad or something for the inconvience. Maybe a letter of apology, a follow up call to let me know they are still following up on the problem. Please keep the post coming so we can find out when this problem can be resolved. I was also told to call Mazda directly to ask them what they are doing to correct the problem.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    On other site, people have posted that Mazda is well aware of the issue, and solution has been found. The parts are coming to US at the end of Jan. It is the seat warmer module that is draining the battery even when it is off. Therefore, the best remedy for now is to disconnect it. This is a unique problem for 2010 only since it has the newer two-settings "enhancement" :confuse:
  • stylekat4stylekat4 Member Posts: 2
    I recently leased a cx9 .it's not even a month old and we had to jump start the car several times until we realized the heated seats were staying on when the car was off.The passenger side seat was so hot when we got in the car and it was 20 degrees outside and the switch was off.we figured out the problem.When i brought it to the dealer i had to sit there for 2 hours and then all they did was disconnect the seat.They told me the drivers side would still work but it doesn't.I still haven't recieved a phone call about what they are going to do.It hasn't been 30 days yet any opions on what i should do?
  • louise59louise59 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks alot for the info I am starting to feel better. I will keep watching for more info.
    When i brought it to the dealer i had to sit there for 2 hours and then all they did was disconnect the seat.They told me the drivers side would still work but it doesn't.I still haven't recieved a phone call about what they are going to do.It hasn't been 30 days yet any opions on what i should do?

Keep in mind that when dealers first learned about this issue, they did not know wha tot do because Mazda had not come up with a fix yet. Dealers were told by Mazda to disconnect the heating element until the fix arrives.

You have not received a phone call because your dealer does not have all the info yet.

I have been told that they have found the solution and we should see it implemented rather soon.

What does your "30 day" reference mean?
  • scottb01scottb01 Member Posts: 4
    Just started looking at the following 2010 GT. Looking for what everyone thinks I should end up paying.

Thanks!

Black 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD $34,795
    REAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM $3,055
    POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH $400
    NAVIGATION SYSTEM $1,665
    ROOF RACK $250
    TRAILER HITCH AND WIRING HARNESS $425
    WHEEL LOCKS $50

Total MSRP: $40,640
  • llm1llm1 Member Posts: 3
    check truecar.com and edmunds TMZ. I'm looking at a 2010 GT AWD with Bose audio package, remote start, and a few other options.
    MSRP: 38,050
    Sell: 35,500
    AF: $595
    Doc: 145
    DMV: 110

42mo lease 15K
    MF: .00163
    Residual: 46%

$569 / month with 1st month due at signing

I am considering purchasing as well b/c of 0.9% for 60 mos or 2.9% for 72.
    Payments would be either $550 for 60 or $600 for 72.
    Either way after 42 mos I would owe less than residual if I leased

Any input would be appreciated
  • llm1llm1 Member Posts: 3
    Thats edmunds TMV not TMZ
    Have been following Tiger Woods drama a little too much ;)
  • bkzbkz Member Posts: 2
    Hi, just purchased a new 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring on January 16, 2010. I compared prices in Austin, Houston and Waco area. Best price was at Garlyn Shelton Mazda in Temple - $3900 off sticker. $290 closing fees. The Austin dealer also does not carry any CX-9s with a DVD and in addition to offering less of a discount, also wanted to charge an extra fee for a dealer swap.

hope you all find this information useful.
  • wsrbubberwsrbubber Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have experience ordering a CX-9 from the factory? I am curious how long it will take. I llive in PA and we are one of 8 states with special emission requirements so I cannot by a car from neighboring NY or OH and there is no Grand Touring CX-9 in Dolphin Gray with sand interior anywhere in PA.
  • gobluejdgobluejd Member Posts: 41
    I was told 3 months on a CX7. I would assume its the same. It's about 1.5 months manufacturing and then sea transit of another 1.5 months. My dealer said he could order end of January and I could have end of April beg of May.
    Does anyone have experience ordering a CX-9 from the factory? I am curious how long it will take. I llive in PA and we are one of 8 states with special emission requirements so I cannot by a car from neighboring NY or OH and there is no Grand Touring CX-9 in Dolphin Gray with sand interior anywhere in PA.

It takes little over 3 months for a factory order. A little less if a dealer can spec change an incoming until that is not done with production.

As for emissions, NY requires Cal emissions. They are the strictest emissions standard in the US. Not sure why you can't register a car in PA that has Cal emissions. You should be able to buy one in NY, if you can find it.

Sales of the CX-9 were up 87% over last year in the North East for the past 2 months. Hence why there is no inventory up here.
  • cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    aviboy- Isn't the seat heater defect contributing to the low inventory as Mazda is holding up delivery of new vehicles? Any sense when the backlog of cars will be released to dealers?
    aviboy- Isn't the seat heater defect contributing to the low inventory as Mazda is holding up delivery of new vehicles? Any sense when the backlog of cars will be released to dealers?

I think it is fair to say that the hold up at the port is a factor in low inventory. I believe Mazda has started to release them. I have a shipment of CX-9's that are due here week 4 of January, and among them are ones with heated seats.
  • smokingstinkssmokingstinks Member Posts: 2
    I also am from PA and want to factory order a CX-9.

Aviboy97 or anyone else with experience, can I get a good deal on a factory order, or do they think I "want it so badly" that they can charge whatever they want?
  • cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    Smokinstinks- you should do well ordering from factory. First off, it allows you to purchase from any dealer thus you will get a competitive price. Second, no cash outlay from dealer unlike cars on the lot. Its an easy transaction for the dealer.
    Aviboy97 or anyone else with experience, can I get a good deal on a factory order, or do they think I "want it so badly" that they can charge whatever they want?

There are a ton of CX-9's on order right now. There is no reason why you cannot negotiate a deal for a factory order. Especially since the car won't get here until April or May.

One thing to keep in mind is that factory pricing is subject to change without notice. Mazda states this to their dealers. When a dealer places an order from factory, there is no price set until after it is produced and shipped. A dealer can only go by what todays price guideline says. Now, a unit produced 4 months from not should not vary too much from what they go for now.

Bottom line is negotiate to the best of your ability. I like factory order purchases because they are very easy.
    ..but isn't it true that dealers will place an order and charge invoice prices plus a "fee" for placing the order?....I believe that since there is no "skin of their noses" the dealer has no investment in placing the order they will charge that "fee" based on .again...DEMAND, so unless one has to have the CX9 and can not wait until the supply increases placing an order may not be a better deal than waiting for supplies to increase..and the waiting may be the same if not longer. I guess I am lucky that I have until October to get my car......just my opinion...
  • smokingstinkssmokingstinks Member Posts: 2
    Thanks......

I just really like the idea that if I'm paying 35k for something, I should be able to get EXACTLY what I want on a car. Nothing more or less. And if no car exists with the options I want in the color I want, why settle?

I'll try and negotiate a deal around invoice, I suppose, and see how that goes.
  • mannytekmannytek Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. Want a good deal. What should I expect to pay vs. dealer invoice? How much above or below? Also, any good dealers north of Boston? Thanks
    ...you are correct...I feel the same way as you do...let us know how you do..I hope well...
  • felixa7felixa7 Member Posts: 15
    I was offered a CX-9, GT with moonroof, nav and all other accessories except for the remote engine starter, for $ 33,600. Is that a reasonable price? Good price? Deal? A CX-9, GT, with moonroof better suits my need, but they simply don't have that trim in my area. The cars are getting held up at port.

Thanks!
    ..if it is what you like ..yes!...especially since there is a shorage at least in the Northeast...I guess the sticker is about $39k,right?...where are you buying?....and if you did enjoy it in the best of health..
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like a great deal. Be careful of additional fees that they may add on, basically, ask them what is the out the door price. Also, the remote engine can be installed at the dealership so you can negotiate for them to install it for you.